PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Sci-Fi TV shows...

Archer81
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Per IGN.com...

http://tv.ign.com/articles/114/1143800p1.html

50. Space: Above and Beyond
49. Caprica
48. Star Trek: Animated Series
47. Amazing Stories
46. The Invaders
45. The Wild Wild West
44. Roswell
43. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
42. Lost in Space
41. Voltron: Defender of the Universe (too low)
40. Eureka
39. Robotech
38. The Jetsons
37. Battle of the Planets
36. Max Headroom
35. The 6 million dollar man
34. Aeon Flux
33. Stargate: Universe
32. Transformers (too low...)
31. Nowhere Man
30. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
29. Cowboy Bebop
28. Life on Mars
27. The 4400
26. Neon Genesis Evangelon
25. Quantum Leap
24. The Adventures of Brisco County Jr
23. Alien Nation
22. Space Blazers/ Space Battleship Yamoto
21. Farscape
20. Red Dwarf
19. Stargate SG1
18. Fringe
17. Torchwood
16. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (good one...sucks it only lasted two seasons)
15. Futurama
14. V (original series)
13. Babylon 5
12. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
11. Mystery Science Theater 3000
10. Firefly
09. The Outer Limits
08. The Prisoner
07. Star Trek: The Next Generation
06. Lost
05. The X Files (I'm kind of shocked this is not first)
04. Doctor Who
03. The Twilight Zone (the movie freaked me out...WTF is on the mutha****in wing?)
02. Star Trek: The Original Series
01. Battlestar Gallactica

:Broncos:

OBF1
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I would like to see Outer limits and Firefly a little higher on the list.

HAT
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Quantum Leap way too low.

Boobs McGee
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
would fully agree with number one...that show was incredibly well done

broncosteven
02-21-2011, 10:25 PM

I concur, I also think that Lost in space should have beem in the top 20.

NFLBRONCO
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM

Should be higher

Outer Limits
Quantum Leap
XFiles should be #1

s0phr0syne
02-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Knight Rider count as sci fi? How about X-Men (animated)? Smallville (if nothing else, it had/has longevity)

Good list regardless, lots of entertainment that I enjoy. I'd be hard pressed to think that anything could surpass BSG (new series) on this SCIFI list. Lost would be my #2...although more generally speaking, I think it's probably the greatest show ever made.

Sarah Connor Chronic had some strengths, but also some incredible weaknesses in the way it was written, especially towards the end. Didn't really make logical sense, but was entertaining nevertheless.

SoCalBronco
02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm offended that Star Trek: The Original Series isn't No. 1.

Garbage.

listopencil
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Horrible list.

Fedaykin
02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
06. Lost

Seriously? The show where clearly not even the writers knew what the **** was going on? It's not even scifi, it's a mystery show with supernatural mumbo jumbo to compensate for ****ty writing.

Not Even Close to deserving #1, Seasons 1&2 were epic, then it devolved into utter **** capped with the most dissapointing cop out in recent history.

ghwk
02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Farscape should have been higher.

Crushaholic
02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Which version of Battlestar Galactica? Lorne Greene as Adama was simply awesome...:notworthy

edit: NM, the new one? That's a bunch of BS...Uhh

Oh, yeah...Right now, the new "V" is kicking the old "V"'s arse. They have really stepped up the writing, this season.

s0phr0syne
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
06. Lost

Seriously? The show where clearly not even the writers knew what the **** was going on? It's not even scifi, it's a mystery show with supernatural mumbo jumbo to compensate for ****ty writing.

Not Even Close to deserving #1, Seasons 1&2 were epic, then it devolved into utter **** capped with the most dissapointing cop out in recent history.

Just depends on how much you choose to value the ride as opposed to the destination. I'd agree they both **** the bed in terms of conclusions, but for me, it doesn't interfere with the story they told along the way. It is disappointing in many ways though.

Due to my own lack of television watching experience, what are some shows that you would say were really great throughout, and provided a satisfying conclusion?

Borks147
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Caprica should not be on any list about top anything. Dear God.

Also, SG1 is way too low.

cutthemdown
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
WHat is firefly? i have never seen that. Loved all the Star Trek stuff because it reminds me of my dad.

cutthemdown
02-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I think x files should be first.

OBF1
02-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Firefly was a short run series (15 episodes) from 2002-2003. It was space travel with a western take on it. The movie "Serenity" (2005) was a spin off of the original series. It was just ahead of its time I think. I have the series on DVD and find myself watching it every year.

A couple of the cast went on to other TV related shows that made this list.

1 was the terminator in the Sarah Conners chronicals, 1 is the queen in V . 1 was in the Matrix movies.

Ron Glass from Barney Miller was part of the cast as well as one of the Baldwin brother.

cutthemdown
02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm sort of liking the V series.

Gort
02-22-2011, 02:32 AM
06. Lost

you hit this one out of the park.

you're absolutely right about both Lost and BSG.

both shows started with promise and then the writers got huge, swollen egos and started shoveling sh*t into their scripts because they thought their viewers were too dumb to notice or care. i would put both shows on the list of WORST FINAL SEASON(S) of any shows ever made anywhere.

Lycan
02-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Firefly and Farscape should be top 5 to me and Andromeda should be on the list.

Doctor Who is good where it is and Torchwood should be a couple spots higher, the mini-series they did was amazing.

How the hell is Fringe in the top 20 but Farscape and Quantum Leap aren't?

I'd also swap Stargate SG1's and Babylon 5's spaces.

I can see BSG as #1 although it probably wouldn't be my choice.

I would not have Lost nearly as high as they do.

FireFly
02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
BSG was AMAZING.

Firefly deserves to be top 5 as does Star Trek NG

FireFly
02-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Fringe is up pretty high - do people like this?

And I WAY prefer Star Trek Voyager and even Enterprise of DS9

tsiguy96
02-22-2011, 03:31 AM
how did fringe possibly get that high?

Lycan
02-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Just noticed Caprica on the list, that explains the mistakes, whoever made it has no eyes or ears.

Ratboy
02-22-2011, 04:55 AM
List is bull****.

Sliders isn't even on it?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/Sliders2.JPG

Kaylore
02-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Hate that list's order. X-files was the same episode over and over and no end game. It was a series that repackaged the same gimmicks. Literally if you've seen one you've seen them all. Star Trek TOS was classic, but let's be real. It hasn't aged well and it only ran three seasons. It's pretty campy. The Next Generation is far and away the best of the Star Trek's. Better, deeper characters, more interesting story lines and great writing. Cowboy Bebop? Come on. I agree with most critics of the Battlestar Galactica that it's too high because of the middle seasons. When you keep making up episodes as you go along, something the writers said they did, it doesn't work. And glad to see Firefly on there.

TheReverend
02-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Transformers and MST3K are the only ones Ive seen!

Shouldn't Highlander be on that list? Show was awesome

Kaylore
02-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Transformers and MST3K are the only ones Ive seen!

Shouldn't Highlander be on that list? Show was awesome

That show was awesome. Seasons 3-5 were really good.

TheReverend
02-22-2011, 05:34 AM
That show was awesome. Seasons 3-5 were really good.

I was freaking out so hard when Richie died like O-M-G

Que
02-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Been watching ST: Enterprise on Netflix lately. Also BSG on instant play. Missed both during their initial runs. I actually love ST: Enterprise and I am a big TNG fan. But OMFG does BSG rock!!! On episode 7 or something. Sucks to hear the stoke doesn't last.

Kaylore
02-22-2011, 05:43 AM
I was freaking out so hard when Richie died like O-M-G

I hated him in the early seasons. He was like a crappier Robin. They did a decent job of growing his character.

Wes Mantooth
02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
on my list:
23: Fox News

DrFate
02-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Like many things, very subjective. SG1 should be higher, based on longevity and durability. That brand has 2 spin-offs and several DVD movies. (plus a cartoon, a role playing game, etc.)

They should probably drop the cartoons entirely. Some of these are iconic, but how do you compare a cartoon to a live-action scifi show? It's a different genre

And simply because BSG had some stellar moments doesn't make Caprica list-worthy.

Gort
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Been watching ST: Enterprise on Netflix lately. Also BSG on instant play. Missed both during their initial runs. I actually love ST: Enterprise and I am a big TNG fan. But OMFG does BSG rock!!! On episode 7 or something. Sucks to hear the stoke doesn't last.

first 2 seasons... really, really good. in the middle it starts to suck when it becomes an allegory for the writers' anti-Bush political beliefs (umm... we get it Hollyweird, you hate Bush. enough already). jumps the shark when 4 of the final 5 cylons are revealed. for the last few episodes, you will start to despise the writers for treating you like an idiot up to that point. and for the final episode, make sure you don't have any sharp objects or rocks next to you, or you may end up the owner of a no-longer working HDTV (or worse).

i actually liked ST: Enterprise. there were some interesting plot arcs about time travel that were interesting.

TonyR
02-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Fringe is up pretty high - do people like this?

It's funny, I really like the show and was happy to see it so high. But I know very few people who watch it so I know I don't have a lot of company in this opinion. This season will be the last.

Drunk Monkey
02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Firefly was a great series. To bad it didn't last longer. As someone said it was ahead of it's time. As for Star Trek TOS come on, I can't even make it through an episode. Aging poorly is an understatement. Next generation is great but DS9 is my favorite. It has by far the most battle scenes (ya ya not the star trek way bla bla).

BroncoInferno
02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
The Twilight Zone is greatest television show of all-time in ANY genre.

PRBronco
02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Boom! Firefly in the top 10!

OABB
02-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Firefly was good. Not Buffy, but good.

Dutch
02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Firefly will be coming back to cable for a full re-airing in HD on Sci Channel on Sundays, starting March 6th at 8PM. The Pilot and episode 1 will be shown back to back with extras and some new content. Episodes will be wrapped with interstitial segments starring renowned physicist Dr. Michio Kaku, who will discuss the theoretical science behind the show's sci-fi concepts. There is a strong rumor circulating that this could be setting up a full reboot of the show.

Dutch
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Like many things, very subjective. SG1 should be higher, based on longevity and durability. That brand has 2 spin-offs and several DVD movies. (plus a cartoon, a role playing game, etc.)

They should probably drop the cartoons entirely. Some of these are iconic, but how do you compare a cartoon to a live-action scifi show? It's a different genre

And simply because BSG had some stellar moments doesn't make Caprica list-worthy.

I agree with everything you've said here. If they are going to let the cartoon/anime in, then where in the F is "Ghost in the Shell"? Way better and more true to "sci-fi" than most of the others on the list. Craprica was a MAJOR let down. Loved seasons 1-2 of BSG, afterwards...frustrating. Firefly and Serenity get the annual Feb run at our house (next week, actually). Very cool having a wife who is into quality Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies and books.

TonyR
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Firefly was good. Not Buffy, but good.

Hmm, speaking of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, does it qualify as "Sci-Fi"? Because if it does it's a huge omission from this list.

bronco militia
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm offended that Star Trek: The Original Series isn't No. 1.

Garbage.

no doubt

OABB
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Hmm, speaking of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, does it qualify as "Sci-Fi"? Because if it does it's a huge omission from this list.

I am not sure. I was going to post a big stink about it, but I don't think it does. Although Adam(the main monster from season 3(?or4?) was pretty scifi.

If it does qualify, than this list will be printed and used for toilet paper. Buffy was and still is a top ten project for me. Not just T.V., overall. It's really that good-minus a few flaws of course.

Rohirrim
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
#1. Twilight Zone
#2. Star Trek

After that, everything else is just some form of impersonation.

Garcia Bronco
02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
06. Lost

I think they are refering to the orignal; which is better than any trash remake.

Drunk Monkey
02-22-2011, 09:20 AM

I don't see Buffy as Sci-Fi (not really fantasy either). I hate that Sci-Fi is always lumped in with Fantasy, at least at the book store.

Archer81
02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I am not sure. I was going to post a big stink about it, but I don't think it does. Although Adam(the main monster from season 3(?or4?) was pretty scifi.

If it does qualify, than this list will be printed and used for toilet paper. Buffy was and still is a top ten project for me. Not just T.V., overall. It's really that good-minus a few flaws of course.

I dont believe Buffy counts as science fiction, nor does Angel or Charmed. More fantasy than sci-fi.

ghwk
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
How did Wild Wild West make it? Artemis had cool toys but it was hardly science fiction in my book.

Miss I.
02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Buffy was more horror drama with a pinch of comedy and fantasy. She's essentially the Final Girl of Horror but way more kick ass and complex. Love that show, but I don't see it is as Sci-fi. I could see in on more of a horror type list with things like Alfred Hitchcock Presents (more suspense I suppose than horror), Friday the the 13th the series or even Twilight Zone and X files cross that boundary into horror on occasion (though they are largely more sci-fi). Anyway, I see it more as a horror show with Angel, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and Nightstalker (the original).

I too am baffled by the inclusion of the Wild Wild west and Briscoe County, both shows I enjoyed a lot, but which I would consider Western, not sci-fi.

Fedaykin
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
IMHO Babylon 5 deserves the top slot. Excellent writing, great characters (with some excellent performances), Stories arcs within arcs within arcs but with episodes that stood well on their own.

The only black mark is the production values/effects were terrible, but that was due to making the show on a shoe string budget.

Also, this list is missing Lexx. Not a top show by any means, but far better than a lot of the drivel that shows up on this list.

HooptyHoops
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I liked Quantum Leap and Next Generation growing up. Also liked X Files. Right now! I'm total digging the V series!

TonyR
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm total digging the V series!

Lots of people saying this which surprises me. I'm watching but, other than Laura Vandervoort's body, I've been underwhelmed this season.

DrFate
02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I think they are refering to the orignal; which is better than any trash remake.

The original BSG? There is ZERO chance of that being the case.

I enjoyed the campy series from 78 but the more recent SyFy series actually broke into 'mainstream' dramatic television (for about 10 minutes anyway) I know people who arent sci-fi fans who watched that show.

Rock Chalk
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Firefly was a short run series (15 episodes) from 2002-2003. It was space travel with a western take on it. The movie "Serenity" (2005) was a spin off of the original series. It was just ahead of its time I think. I have the series on DVD and find myself watching it every year.

A couple of the cast went on to other TV related shows that made this list.

1 was the terminator in the Sarah Conners chronicals, 1 is the queen in V . 1 was in the Matrix movies.

Ron Glass from Barney Miller was part of the cast as well as one of the Baldwin brother.

Firefly was epic. A Space Western is the most applicable description of it because it was very much a western set in space. Also the only freaking science fiction movie to accurately represent what space is like, i.e. NO FREAKING SOUND SO NO SOUND EFFECTS IN THE SPACE SCENES.

In addition to other shows, the Captain is also Richard Castle in the series Castle (to which there have been several subtle references to Firefly and Serenity).

And how can Stargate SG1, the longest running Science Fiction series of all time not be #1? Sure, it got worse after MacGuyver was promoted to General but I found that to be the most entertaining sci-fi show of all time.

The New Battlestar Galactica was garbage, but the old one was classic. The old V sucks, the new one is better (although the FBI agent's son is a bit of a douche).

Of the Star Trek's, DS9 was the longest running and had the best acting of any of them. Captain Cisco was the best written character in any of the series (though Kirk is, and will always be, the most memorable sci-fi character).

Never got into Caprica, or Farscape or Andromeda. I did like Stargate Universe - or at least the idea of it, but the writing was horrible and quite frankly, the characters just made awful decision after awful decision.

DrFate
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
And how can Stargate SG1, the longest running Science Fiction series of all time not be #1?

I hate to try to out-geek you, but I think it is the longest continually running sci-fi show. Dr. Who has been around longer... SG1 certainly deserves more love on this list.

The New Battlestar Galactica was garbage, but the old one was classic.

Have you ever seen the new BSG?

Of the Star Trek's, DS9 was the longest running and had the best acting of any of them. Captain Cisco was the best written character in any of the series (though Kirk is, and will always be, the most memorable sci-fi character).

Agreed

I did like Stargate Universe - or at least the idea of it, but the writing was horrible and quite frankly, the characters just made awful decision after awful decision.

I thought it SGU was the weakest of the 3 - and the shortest lived, based on the commercial I saw last night. SyFy isn't picking it up again :( (we need more Stargate)

FireFly
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
OMG - Sliders should DEFINITELY be on that list!

R8R H8R
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
This list is being too liberal in its definition of Sci-Fi. On the other hand, maybe they needed to, to make the list 50 long.

Lost is my favorite drama of all time, but it is not Sci-Fi ; it is more of the category of supernatual; and just because a show features high tech, like Wild Wild West & 6 million dollar man, does not make it Sci_Fi, imho.

Also, a show that is riddled with alien conspiracy theories, does not neccessarily make it Sci_Fi, thus X-Files is questionable. If all you need is aliens in your show, then why not Alf or Mork and Mindy? I would put X-Files in the supernatual/paranormal category rather than Sc-Fi, but I'm sure others would disagree.

With all that being said, BSG is the greatest Sci-Fi I have seen. I just started to get into it based on some discussion on other threads in the past. I am half way through the 3rd season and completely hooked. So far the writing hasn't let me down like others have mentioned. To the contrary, I am now more hooked on it than I was in the 1st season.

Crushaholic
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Nope. I asked the same thing, until I actually read the link and saw the video. It's the new BG that is "worthy" of the #1 spot. But, I'm with you. The original Battlestar Galactica was better than the new one, IMO. It didn't take itself seriously, which I liked...

bendog
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
That halftime show needs to be considered for this list.

Pseudofool
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
06. Lost

Not Even Close to deserving #1, Seasons 1&2 were epic, then it devolved into utter **** capped with the most dissapointing cop out in recent history.BSG and Lost both had great acting and writing despite the plot failures at the end. BSG was more elegant and thoughtful than any preceding Sci-Fi show; it's not even close. Honestly, I didn't see the ending as a cop-out, it was clear to me that they were always writing toward that point, even if they had some hiccups along the way.

BSG and Lost and even ST:NG or Firefly have literary qualities many of the other sci-fi shows don't even aspire to. I think people are more pissed at Lost and BSG because the shows made them invest so much more emotionally, than other scifi shows.

Fedaykin
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
And how can Stargate SG1, the longest running Science Fiction series of all time not be #1? Sure, it got worse after MacGuyver was promoted to General but I found that to be the most entertaining sci-fi show of all time.

#1: Doctor Who has 16 years on SG1 (and overall is a much better show)
#2: SG1 was long running but not particularly good IMHO. Way too campy. Way to formulaic. Just how many times are the writers of the SG series going to solve the major problem of the episode/arc by having SG1 find uber ancient tech at the last moment?

I did like Stargate Universe - or at least the idea of it, but the writing was horrible and quite frankly, the characters just made awful decision after awful decision.

That would be the premise of the show: wrong people, wrong place.

Rohirrim
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
That halftime show needs to be considered for this list.

Ha! Yeah. That was a WTF moment.

bendog
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm not really a great sci-fi fan, (ok I loved the first three treks) but I like both BSG incarnations. They really are totally different approaches, however. The first was more akin to a western with the recurring characters facing some "challange" each episode. Loren Green played Ben in a leisure suit. The second was more a psychological exploration with more plot line being added each season.

Fedaykin
02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
With all that being said, BSG is the greatest Sci-Fi I have seen. I just started to get into it based on some discussion on other threads in the past. I am half way through the 3rd season and completely hooked. So far the writing hasn't let me down like others have mentioned. To the contrary, I am now more hooked on it than I was in the 1st season.

I implore you!! Stop now -- preserve the good memories!!!!

chanesaw
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree, the first couple of seasons of BSG were great, then they fracked it up royally. By the end SG1 was the better show, even if it was repetitive.

Kid A
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
BSG and Lost both had great acting and writing despite the plot failures at the end. BSG was more elegant and thoughtful than any preceding Sci-Fi show; it's not even close. Honestly, I didn't see the ending as a cop-out, it was clear to me that they were always writing toward that point, even if they had some hiccups along the way.

BSG and Lost and even ST:NG or Firefly have literary qualities many of the other sci-fi shows don't even aspire to. I think people are more pissed at Lost and BSG because the shows made them invest so much more emotionally, than other scifi shows.

I'm with you on this. I've never gotten into most sci-fi shows - but those shows you listed had aspirations that were genre-transcending. To varying degrees they all had plenty of flaws, but BSG at its best was as good as any show out there, sci-fi or not.

The ending season wasn't the series' best by any means, but you're right that the **MINOR SPOILERS** spiritual underpinning were there the whole time. It didn't come out of nowhere. Season 4 also was by far the darkest, and I appreciated just how far they pushed the characters. The whole show was more political thriller/War on Terror metaphor than it was Star Wars knock-off (like the original BSG), which might be why it hooked me in ways SG and Trek and all those others never did.

R8R H8R
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I implore you!! Stop now -- preserve the good memories!!!!

Sorry...aint going to happen. I'm too hooked to stop now. No matter what I think of the writing in seasons 3rd & 4th, I will finish it because I'm too intrigued and need to know what the end-game is. But as I said, I'm half way thru the 3rd and still love it.

If it's as ****ty as you say, I will come back and say so on this thread when I finish it.

BTW, a lot of people, including you, had the same thoughts about Lost, but while I agree the writers may have lost their way(no pun intended) from time to time the last couple of seasons, I still regard it as the greatest TV drama I've ever seen.

Why? For the same reason I love BSG: To me, it's more about the characters and the relationships between them, then the specific plotlines.

AZorange1
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Star Trek NG and Quantum Leap put shows on weekly of high quality.

Pseudofool
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry...aint going to happen. I'm too hooked to stop now. No matter what I think of the writing in seasons 3rd & 4th, I will finish it because I'm too intrigued and need to know what the end-game is. But as I said, I'm half way thru the 3rd and still love it.

If it's as ****ty as you say, I will come back and say so on this thread when I finish it.

BTW, a lot of people, including you, had the same thoughts about Lost, but while I agree the writers may have lost their way(no pun intended) from time to time the last couple of seasons, I still regard it as the greatest TV drama I've ever seen.

Why? For the same reason I love BSG: To me, it's more about the characters and the relationships between them, then the specific plotlines.Realize that BSG is intended as a piece of art, even if the choices made by it's creators betray the fanbase's desires, and you'll be able to enjoy it, although you may not like what happens. It's a top-notch artistic closure. Some people just get butthurt about it, because they feel betrayed or something, even though you could see it coming the whole series.

End of season 3 is pretty dang awesome, you're going to flip.

Fedaykin
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Realize that BSG is intended as a piece of art, even if the choices made by it's creators betray the fanbase's desires, and you'll be able to enjoy it, although you may not like what happens. It's a top-notch artistic closure. Some people just get butthurt about it, because they feel betrayed or something, even though you could see it coming the whole series.

End of season 3 is pretty dang awesome, you're going to flip.

The problem with the end of BSG is execution and the resolution chosen by the characters -- not the part you are talking about. When your ending relies on your characters making idiotic and completely unbelievable choices, you've failed.

broncolife
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I loved all these shows

Star Trek TNG would be number 1 for me. I thought it went off the air when it was number 1 in ratings.
Red Dwarf
Farscape
Doctor Who
I hated Deep space nine until they got Worf from TNG then it became one of my favorites.
Sliders
Quantum leap
Lexx.
I tried the stargate series but kept falling asleep. I made it to about episode 8. But I liked the movie
Liked orginal Battlestar Galactica and V, never seen the new ones.
Firefly
X-Files
Planet of the Apes

Gort
02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
The problem with the end of BSG is execution and the resolution chosen by the characters -- not the part you are talking about. When your ending relies on your characters making idiotic and completely unbelievable choices, you've failed.

my problems with BSG (and Lost) are that most of the intriguing plot points that were hammered home as vitally important or crucial to understanding the "meaning" of the shows during the first couple of seasons ended up being discarded or ignored by the time the shows ended because in both cases, the writers decided to invent some new plot arcs that completely undermined the importance of the previously developed important plot points.

in the end, the writers' willingness to throw out the previous couple of years of plot arcs as irrelevant showed that they had contempt for the intelligence of their audiences and that's why i disliked both shows so much by the time the ended. it was obvious that they were just throwing sh*t against the wall and they didn't care how much of it stuck so long as they 1) continued to draw a paycheck, and/or 2) could churn out enough episodes to get to syndication.

when you ask your audience to invest in your story over the course of a few years time, and then refuse to provide coherence in that story, it's a betrayal. that's why so many serious fans were turned off. however, casual viewers, who may not have caught every episode and were just looking for mindless escapism probably enjoyed the shows because they didn't really know or care that each new episode might not be logically consistent with what's come before. i can see that.

at least that's why i didn't like either show by the time they had ended and it's also why i'll never develop an interest in a weekly show like these again. i don't trust the writers to hold up their end of the bargain. i thought both BSG and Lost had something important or interesting to say in the telling of their stories. it turned out, neither of them could be bothered to say anything important afterall.

ghwk
02-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I think my favorite 2 are TNG and Farscape. TNG started the first season with total rip offs of the original ST but by the time it finished it had some of the best writing of any SciFi show I've ever seen. I also liked Lexx, it's amazing what a hot chick in scifi will do for a show, especially if they always keep you guessing about her. Farscape had some of the best story arcs and villain aliens of any of the series on TV as well as the mind bending symbiotic relationship between the hero John Chricton and Scorpious the villain. I would encourage anyone who loves scifi to go discover this series.

ScottXray
02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Per IGN.com...

49. Caprica
47. Amazing Stories
46. The Invaders
45. The Wild Wild West
44. Roswell
42. Lost in Space
40. Eureka
39. Robotech
38. The Jetsons
36. Max Headroom
34. Aeon Flux
31. Nowhere Man
29. Cowboy Bebop
28. Life on Mars
27. The 4400
25. Quantum Leap
23. Alien Nation
21. Farscape
20. Red Dwarf
19. Stargate SG1
18. Fringe
17. Torchwood
16. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (good one...sucks it only lasted two seasons)
15. Futurama
14. V (original series)
13. Babylon 5
10. Firefly
09. The Outer Limits
08. The Prisoner
06. Lost
04. Doctor Who
03. The Twilight Zone (the movie freaked me out...WTF is on the mutha****in wing?)

I can't beleive they forgot classics like The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants.

They should easily be higher than the Jetsons. Way too much Animation on this list.

bronco militia
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
land of the lost?

Pseudofool
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
The problem with the end of BSG is execution and the resolution chosen by the characters -- not the part you are talking about. When your ending relies on your characters making idiotic and completely unbelievable choices, you've failed.I don't know what you're talking about as far as characters not being true to themselves. I was fine with the choices that characters were making, although the Lee Adama arc took some awkward steps, but ended up in a place that it was always going.

I thought the Adama/Roslin, Baltar/Caprica6, Lee/Starbuck, Helo/Athena, Tigh/Ellen narratives were all very satisfying and smartly executed.

ScottXray
02-23-2011, 10:27 AM
land of the lost?

Ooops Meant Land of the Giants...pretty funky late sixties series about people on a planet where the aliens were Super sized...and always trying to catch the "little people".

Can't delete so repeated info.

Crushaholic
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I watched "Battle of the Planets" after school, back in the day. I realize the campiness and the English dubbing could be why it ranks so low. However, I enjoyed it...

Doctor Who has been #1 on my list for MANY years. The show actually began (in England) the day after Kennedy was assasinated. Many hours of my youth were spent watching the different incarnations of Doctor Who...:strong:

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know what you're talking about as far as characters not being true to themselves. I was fine with the choices that characters were making, although the Lee Adama arc took some awkward steps, but ended up in a place that it was always going.

I thought the Adama/Roslin, Baltar/Caprica6, Lee/Starbuck, Helo/Athena, Tigh/Ellen narratives were all very satisfying and smartly executed.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

You were OK with an act of mass suicide at the end? That didn't seem completely implausible to you? It didn't seem like a complete cop out to conveniently tie up the massive plot holes introduced in the end?

Crushaholic
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Star Trek NG and Quantum Leap put shows on weekly of high quality.

I agree on Quantum Leap. That was a great show.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Per IGN.com...

49. Caprica
47. Amazing Stories
46. The Invaders
45. The Wild Wild West
44. Roswell
42. Lost in Space
40. Eureka
39. Robotech
38. The Jetsons
36. Max Headroom
34. Aeon Flux
31. Nowhere Man
29. Cowboy Bebop
28. Life on Mars
27. The 4400
25. Quantum Leap
23. Alien Nation
21. Farscape
20. Red Dwarf
19. Stargate SG1
18. Fringe
17. Torchwood
15. Futurama
14. V (original series)
13. Babylon 5
10. Firefly
09. The Outer Limits
08. The Prisoner
06. Lost
04. Doctor Who

Love Red Dwarf. Anyone remember Space 1999? That show was freaky good.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I loved all these shows

Star Trek TNG would be number 1 for me. I thought it went off the air when it was number 1 in ratings.
Red Dwarf
Farscape
Doctor Who
I hated Deep space nine until they got Worf from TNG then it became one of my favorites.
Sliders
Quantum leap
Lexx.
I tried the stargate series but kept falling asleep. I made it to about episode 8. But I liked the movie
Liked orginal Battlestar Galactica and V, never seen the new ones.
Firefly
X-Files
Planet of the Apes

Lexx is good campy fun, plus I'd like to score with that babe, she had those extreme botox lips that made her look like she could suck a baseball through a garden hose... good times...

Pseudofool
02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
**** SPOILER ALERT ****

You were OK with an act of mass suicide at the end? That didn't seem completely implausible to you? It didn't seem like a complete cop out to conveniently tie up the massive plot holes introduced in the end? Mass suicide? Not sure what you watched.

mkporter
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Firefly will be coming back to cable for a full re-airing in HD on Sci Channel on Sundays, starting March 6th at 8PM. The Pilot and episode 1 will be shown back to back with extras and some new content. Episodes will be wrapped with interstitial segments starring renowned physicist Dr. Michio Kaku, who will discuss the theoretical science behind the show's sci-fi concepts. There is a strong rumor circulating that this could be setting up a full reboot of the show.

That would be unreal. The show probably should have been on the SciFi channel to begin. Fox just didn't really get it. (Of course, they never do). That show had so much untapped potential.

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Mass suicide? Not sure what you watched.

Did you miss the part where they decided to give up their civilization, destroy all their tech and "go native"?

BroncsRule
02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Did you miss the part where they decided to give up their civilization, destroy all their tech and "go native"?

So.. living without technology isn't worth living?

Pseudofool
02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Did you miss the part where they decided to give up their civilization, destroy all their tech and "go native"?That's not suicide. I agree the move was sudden, but it was in the works the whole series; and it's not like they had a lot of choice in the matter given the theological themes.

BroncsRule
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
re the list: Firefly goes top 3

ok with BSG at 1. It really was a game changer until we got into the mode of "Let's spin the big wheel, Bob & see who's a Cylon this week!"

I would add ST Enterprise & Andromeda to the list - probably somewhere in the teens.

Farscape and Babylon 5 should have been higer.

And the original BSG should have at least made the list.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EMEZuaguuCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fo shizzle

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
This is even better:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/00gi1soH9zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ohiobronco2
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Incredible Hulk?

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
So.. living without technology isn't worth living?

Living without modern technology is deadly. No medicine, etc.

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
That's not suicide. I agree the move was sudden, but it was in the works the whole series; and it's not like they had a lot of choice in the matter given the theological themes.

Sure it is. The majority of the population is going to die within a few months due to lack of proper medicine, shelter, food, predators, etc. Hunter gatherers had a prodigious death rate even when the individuals were accustomed to living that way. Even the end admits it: only the cylon hybrid survived due to superhuman qualities.

They all decided to give up and die.

Archer81
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM

It might be deadly but people managed it for 300,000 years.

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
It might be deadly but people managed it for 300,000 years.

People adapted to living that way. For example, modern humans like the colonials have severely compromised immune systems in comparison due to living in a relatively sterile environment. I'd bet about 80% of them die from that alone, despite having knowledge of basic sanitation. Who knows what pathogens were there that they had no immunity too (see Native Americans and small pox).

El Minion
02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Love Red Dwarf. Anyone remember Space 1999? That show was freaky good.

Holy $hit was going to post about that show that I watched as a kid and loved the series. Don't know if still holds up to re-watching (recently re-watched a Land of the Lost original, couldn't make it through to the end, what garbage I put up with as a kid), but I was a big fan back in the day. To short lived.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EMEZuaguuCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archer81
02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
People adapted to living that way. For example, modern humans like the colonials have severely compromised immune systems in comparison due to living in a relatively sterile environment. I'd bet about 80% of them die from that alone, despite having knowledge of basic sanitation. Who knows what pathogens were there that they had no immunity too (see Native Americans and small pox).

I agree our immune systems are not what they should be. Cleanliness? Yes. Complete sterility of an environment? No. In a situation where mankind has to start over, there will be an 80% death rate from disease, malnutrition, childbirth, whatever. The remaining 20% however would be better prepared to handle the stresses living a hunter/gatherer or pre industrial lifestyle. Entire swaths of the world still live that way...and oddly enough these are the places with most of the world's people.

Doggcow
02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Space: Above and Beyond was awesome. Too bad it had a short run.

Stargate is one of the best long-running shows I've ever watched.

Mystery Science Theater doesn't qualify imo?

Deep space nine = Total **** :P

Doggcow
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
**** SPOILER ALERT ****

You were OK with an act of mass suicide at the end? That didn't seem completely implausible to you? It didn't seem like a complete cop out to conveniently tie up the massive plot holes introduced in the end?

I wanted to punch myself in the face at the end of Battlestar Galactica. I was so ****ing pissed.

Pseudofool
02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Spoilers ahead.
Sure it is. The majority of the population is going to die within a few months due to lack of proper medicine, shelter, food, predators, etc. Hunter gatherers had a prodigious death rate even when the individuals were accustomed to living that way. Even the end admits it: only the cylon hybrid survived due to superhuman qualities.

They all decided to give up and die.You're totally projecting that reading. The notion that you should dispel disbelief at the finale, while accepting head-Caprica, Starbucks return, and a cyclical divinity seems a pretty cynical choice.

Every television show, especially sci-fi, will cower before the lens of hard-science.

bowtown
02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Where the **** is Land of the Lost?

cutthemdown
02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Where the **** is Land of the Lost?

dude that is history channel stuff. What you think Chakas not real?

Archer81
02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
dude that is history channel stuff. What you think Chakas not real?

Apparently dinosaurs cannot precisely course correct. Serpentine formation my friend.

Fedaykin
02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Every television show, especially sci-fi, will cower before the lens of hard-science.

My issue is that the end doesn't make sense from the perspective of the characters. It's only purpose seems to be to pave the way for the ending they decided on.

Pseudofool
02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
My issue is that the end doesn't make sense from the perspective of the characters. It's only purpose seems to be to pave the way for the ending they decided on.You're going to have be more convincing than that. I'm saying it does. The Baltar, "I know how to farm, you know" line, says it all. They aren't happy with this future, but it's the only real choice they have. It's beautiful and moving, if you choose to see it. I'm not sure which characters aren't down with the ending. Be specific.

(Feel free to PM if you don't want to spoil it all for the board).

Play2win
02-24-2011, 12:10 AM
You're going to have be more convincing than that. I'm saying it does. The Baltar, "I know how to farm, you know" line, says it all. They aren't happy with this future, but it's the only real choice they have. It's beautiful and moving, if you choose to see it. I'm not sure which characters aren't down with the ending. Be specific.

(Feel free to PM if you don't want to spoil it all for the board).

I totally thought it was the Human choice they made. In a sense "Getting back to nature". There are two ways to live life, how we (they) have been, or how we could live life. To me, it seemed to be very Gene Roddenberry influenced.

Just my personal take. I didn't watch (new)BSG when it was on TV at all. But started watching it on Netflix about a year ago, and went basically through the whole thing. But I'm hooked on Fringe right now. Interesting, interesting show. I don't watch TV hardly at all (except football), mostly just do Netflix and movies, but every once in a long while a show comes by that I actually really like. Fringe is good stuff...

HooptyHoops
02-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Did anybody watch The Event this year? I really liked it and am glad to see it coming back on TV in March!

TheReverend
02-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Did anybody watch The Event this year? I really liked it and am glad to see it coming back on TV in March!

I LOVED that show. Also can't wait for it to be back next week.

HooptyHoops
02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I LOVED that show. Also can't wait for it to be back next week.

Rock on! I was just surprised that nobody mentioned it. It is a great show and am hoping the storyline continues to grow, as they have a great thing going!

bendog
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Imo my favorite martian should have made the list. And if wild wild west makes it as sci fi, why not I dream of jeanie or bewitched?

bowtown
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Irish Stout
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Am I the only one who thought the new BSG was overrated? It was a godamned soap opera in space. I felt it was trying to hard to be deep without the substance to back it up. It was very well done in its cinematography, but I thought the overall story was just lacking in anything resembling excitement and half the time a lack of explanation on why things were occurring or changing. Cylons found them again.... yawn. At least they're not finding them every 33 minutes. Ok, now cylons and humans are teaming up... no wait now they're not... now they are again. Yay! My mind cylon and the Ghost of Starbuck are saving us! To the New New Earth that will just randomly appear we go! Hooray! But not too happy cause we're a serious business show. Serious faces everyone, be dramatic.

Stargate U wants to be BSG (Raush = Baltar), but unfortunately is even more anticlimatic in its first season.

SG1 was campy as hell, but by season 2-3 they had figured out how to make it campy and work. It worked well and it was highly entertaining. Granted you didn't have to think about the show like you did BSG, but the show clicked and the characters worked well together. And at least when the ghost of Daniel Jackson shows up there are some wise cracks thrown in to let us know its entertainment and not taking itself overly serious. I would put it top ten for longevity and viewing enjoyment.

Firefly though was a great show that mixed campy humor with decent action and some overarching drama and philisophical context. Top 3 for me.

I don't know how Star Trek isn't number one on this list considering what it did for sci-fi tv.

BroncsRule
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Living period is deadly.

No one is getting out of here alive.

Fedaykin
02-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Living period is deadly.

Meh, would you rather have decades or months?

Dutch
02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
That would be unreal. The show probably should have been on the SciFi channel to begin. Fox just didn't really get it. (Of course, they never do). That show had so much untapped potential.

Given Hollywood's (both TV/Film) inability/fear to create/try anything new, I think it has a chance. The DVD set of Firefly is still selling well, so no accident that Sci Channel (Discovery Networks) is doing this. The DVDs have done a great job spreading the awareness of the show. Hope something comes of it, as long as Tim Minear is involved.

Play2win
02-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Living period is deadly.

5 to 1 and 1 to 5... :militia:

ghwk
02-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Imo my favorite martian should have made the list. And if wild wild west makes it as sci fi, why not I dream of jeanie or bewitched?

Barbara Edens "rack" mesmerized me as a 10 year old. It was (they were?) out of this world and definitely worthy of scfi mention all on their own. :thumbsup:

What also made this epic scifi worthy is whenever she became a pain in the butt her "master" just ordered her back into her bottle. Now THAT my friends is great science fiction!

OABB
02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Given Hollywood's (both TV/Film) inability/fear to create/try anything new, I think it has a chance. The DVD set of Firefly is still selling well, so no accident that Sci Channel (Discovery Networks) is doing this. The DVDs have done a great job spreading the awareness of the show. Hope something comes of it, as long as Tim Minear is involved.

And Joss of course

Durango
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Don't want a lot of Sci-Fi, but I always watch Star Trek the original series when I get a chance, and Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows of all time. Stargate SG1 was fantastic until they started incorporating talking little green men and apparently mandating English as the natural language of every galaxy. Losing Michael Dean Anderson as a regular character hurt tremendously as well.

R8R H8R
02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Well I finished the series of BSG last night and came back to comment as I said I would. Here are my thoughts:

Overall, I loved the entire show particularly the first 3 seasons. Really liked the interaction of the characters and thier relationships, not to mention the overall concept of the show, including the religious philosophy that was interjected into the plot. Found it interesting that the humans were polytheists, where the Cylons had any God at all, much less being monotheistic.

Didn"t care for season 4.0 because I thought it dragged a bit and got off-track, but thought season 4.5 picked up, and even though the plotlines were a bit strained, it did an adequate enough job of giving us a conclusion.

Thought the finale was contrived to fill in the plot holes, but most of these continous stories are (see Lost). However, it didn't blow it for me anymore than the weak endings of MASH, The Sopranos, and Seinfield would take away from the whole of the show.

Wish they would have explained the apparition of Starbuck better in the last season. Her re-appearance and presence was never really explained, and left it up to the veiwer to just accept her as an "Angel".

Had no problem with what the characters decided upon while at new-Earth, since the entire show was built on the premise that both sides agree that the cycle of violence needed to stop. Getting rid of thier technology did that.

Overall, I liked the series enough that I will check out some of the other Sci-Fi shows that others have mentioned previuosly(FireFly, SG1, etc.), where otherwise, I probably wouldn't have, as I had not been a strong Sci-Fi fan in the past.

BroncsRule
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
If we convince even one SF fan who had never heard of Firefly to give it a try -

then our work here is done.

broncolife
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Ive been watching supernatural and so far I like it. Deans Character can be hilarious sometimes.

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Rock on! I was just surprised that nobody mentioned it. It is a great show and am hoping the storyline continues to grow, as they have a great thing going!

The previews for it's return look absolutely amazing.

broncolife
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I didnt really like it when I was a teenager, but I am hooked watching it right now on netflix. I find it very funny.

HAT
04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna have to throw American Dad in my top 20.......

A bi-sexual alien with 1,000 costumes and a German spy turned goldfish absolutely qualifies for Sci-Fi IMO. :thumbsup:

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 10:28 PM
This is even better:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/00gi1soH9zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yes, that is Ian McShane...

Pendejo
04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Nothing was, is, or EVER will be as boss as Buck Rogers. beeeety-beeeety-beeeety.

gunns
04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I concur, I also think that Lost in space should have beem in the top 20.

Agreed, was never a scifi fan but as a kid loved Lost in Space, especially Dr. Smith.

LRtagger
04-03-2011, 01:12 PM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mork.jpg

JCMElway
04-03-2011, 02:40 PM
And what about Misfits of Science?