PDA

View Full Version : any tax experts here?

tsiguy96
02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
i dont know if im a resident of illinois or florida...

my "home address" is still my parents house, but im in florida for grad school. live here, have a job here, everything is here, but im still in school. so given that, am i a FL or IL resident? i also have W2s from IA, but it seems like the more money i enter that i made from outside illinois, the more money i OWE illinois, atleast thats what turbo tax says.

Mr.Meanie
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM

my "home address" is still my parents house, but im in florida for grad school. live here, have a job here, everything is here, but im still in school. so given that, am i a FL or IL resident? i also have W2s from IA, but it seems like the more money i enter that i made from outside illinois, the more money i OWE illinois, atleast thats what turbo tax says.

You live and work primarily in Florida, so that is your place of residence.

Edit... depending on how long you have lived there. IIRC the last time I asked my CPA about this he said your place of residence means where you work, have mail delivered to, and have lived primarily for the year.

tsiguy96
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
i only lived there from august-present, prior to that it was iowa and illinois

Garcia Bronco
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
You live and work primarily in Florida, so that is your place of residence.

Edit... depending on how long you have lived there. IIRC the last time I asked my CPA about this he said your place of residence means where you work, have mail delivered to, and have lived primarily for the year.

This. Also make sure your parents are not claiming you on their taxes.

Garcia Bronco
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM

From a State perspective; I think you'll have to file in all three places.

tsiguy96
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
also, since im a fulltime student, in order to claim state residency i needed to be here for atleast a year and establish that i dont plan on leaving. im paying out of state fees for school right now..

Mr.Meanie
02-18-2011, 11:50 AM

I'm not a CPA but I would guess if you have been in Florida for 5 months in 2010 and currently work and live there, and your previous residences have been a few months in each of the other states, you would still be considered to have a primary residence in Florida.

tsiguy96
02-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not a CPA but I would guess if you have been in Florida for 5 months in 2010 and currently work and live there, and your previous residences have been a few months in each of the other states, you would still be considered to have a primary residence in Florida.

from what ive read and heard including turbotax, if you are a fulltime student studying in anotehr state, your permanent home address is the one you live at at HOME, such as your parents house. just trying to verify before i turn this in.

Cito Pelon
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

If you have w2's from IL and IA, then you have to file a partial year tax form for those states. If your permanent residence is now Florida, you file a permanent resident state form for Florida. If your parents claim you as a dependent on their Federal tax return, that doesn't absolve you from your state tax.

Pony Boy
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I think Hillis has the same problem

enjolras
02-18-2011, 01:28 PM
How old are you?

ColoradoDarin
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
If you have w2's from IL and IA, then you have to file a partial year tax form for those states. If your permanent residence is now Florida, you file a permanent resident state form for Florida. If your parents claim you as a dependent on their Federal tax return, that doesn't absolve you from your state tax.

This, except you don't have to file in FL (no income tax here!). You will have to file partial for both IL and IA.

tsiguy96
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
ill have to check that out still, even in IA i was there for school, wasnt there for residential purposes.

ColoradoDarin
02-18-2011, 04:37 PM
ill have to check that out still, even in IA i was there for school, wasnt there for residential purposes.

I could be wrong, but if you worked there you need to pay taxes there?

gunns
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I always thought it was where you earned the money. I've heard sports players have to pay taxes in each state they play in. Don't know if that's true.

Odysseus
02-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Find an ENROLLED tax agent. Stay away from HR Block, Jackson Hewitt, or any of the franchised ones. Regardless of who you pick learn to read the tax code for yourself. Take the time. Get a cup of coffee. Sit down. Read!

http://www.naea.org/memberportal/Resources/ForTaxpayers/whatis_EA.htm

tsiguy96
02-19-2011, 06:48 AM
I could be wrong, but if you worked there you need to pay taxes there?

def, you still files in state W2s for every place, but this is purely about permanent state of residence

Bronco Boy
02-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I always thought it was where you earned the money. I've heard sports players have to pay taxes in each state they play in. Don't know if that's true.

That is true, I used to prepare returns for a couple players. Pretty much if you get a W2 from a state you need to file a tax return there. Of course if your withholding is more than your tax you would want to file the return to get your refund anyway.

Mr. Elway
02-19-2011, 09:52 AM
If you live in FL, what makes you say your home is in IL?