PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks (finally, it's over!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Four 1st Round picks and Derrick Favors?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtGupNqRVJfDWBp2No1OJc.8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonynets021711

The Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets are once again in advanced talks on the framework of a blockbuster trade for Carmelo Anthony(notes). And once again, Anthony must be sold on agreeing to a three-year, $65 million contract extension to push these long, winding negotiations to completion.

The Nets and Nuggets are discussing a deal that would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes), Melvin Ely(notes), Renaldo Balkman(notes) and Shelden Williams(notes) to the Nets for Derrick Favors(notes), Devin Harris(notes), Troy Murphy(notes), Ben Uzoh(notes) and four first-round draft picks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday night.

The Nuggets are expected to move Murphy and his $12 million expiring contract to a third team and sweeten the deal with one or two of the Nets’ draft picks.

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
4 first round draft picks, do it!

schaaf
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM

4 First Round Draft Picks? If they pull that off that will be amazing.

Chris
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Chauncey is a great Denverite. Sucks to possibly lose him... but four picks... do it... this might make basketball a half decent sport for me.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2011, 11:01 AM

It'll depend on who's picks they are. And of course it won't mean **** if the picks are protected or the Nets are good, which they probably won't be.

The Nuggets could possibly put Harris at the 2 (if they keep him) and play him with Lawson and Afflalo at the 3. That would be kind of a cool lineup with Nene and Favors. Favors worries me, though.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Thats an amazing deal for someone who would have bolted next season anyway

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
It'll depend on who's picks they are. And of course it won't mean **** if the picks are protected or the Nets are good, which they probably won't be.

The Nuggets could possibly put Harris at the 2 (if they keep him) and play him with Lawson and Afflalo at the 3. That would be kind of a cool lineup with Nene and Favors. Favors worries me, though.

It would be the Lakers pick (2011, I think), a Rockets protected pick, and the Nets next two picks - that seems to be what is most consistently reported, at this point. They may turn around and trade one or two of those picks after the trade.

Carmelo needs to realize that the only way he's getting a deal before the new CBA is with either Denver or New Jersey. He could roll the dice and hope the new CBA doesn't hurt him, but it's a huge risk.

schaaf
02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Lawson And Harris at 1 and 2, (Afflalo at 3???) and Favors and Nene at 4 and 5???

Sounds pretty good to me

FantomForce
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Chauncey is a great Denverite. Sucks to possibly lose him... but four picks... do it... this might make basketball a half decent sport for me.

Last time this came around Chauncey pretty much said he wouldn't sign, he'd wait for them to release him so he could resign with the Nuggets

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the Rockets want Nene once a Melo deal goes down.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/021811_Nets_Nuggets_reach_agreement_now_its_up_to_ Carmelo_Anthony_to_say_yes.html

and the Nets beat writer says the teams have agreed to a deal, now just need Melo to agree to the extension.

phibacka31
02-18-2011, 11:21 AM

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/021811_Nets_Nuggets_reach_agreement_now_its_up_to_ Carmelo_Anthony_to_say_yes.html

and the Nets beat writer says the teams have agreed to a deal, now just need Melo to agree to the extension.

It just scrolled across bottem line of ESPN. THe trade is agreed on and will go through if Carmelo signs 3 year extension

Man-Goblin
02-18-2011, 11:30 AM

If the Nets trade goes down, the Nuggets would be a team with a handful of nice pieces, a couple of headcases, and no superstar. That in the West would be just about good enough to finish 10th next year.

Nene, Favors, Afflalo and Lawson should be your first building blocks if this trade goes down. It would be silly to trade Nene because he's very good and still young enough to be in his prime when you're good again. The only reason to trade him is because they don't want to pay him his next contract. So, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded him.

But hey, Kroenke will finally have his cap space! But even if they wanted to use it on free agents no one would want to go there.

DrFate
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think you can trade consecutive round1 picks in the NBA. Normally you see something like 2011/2013/2015 in deals.

I think there is a league rule? If so, the players will have retired before all the picks are made.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't think you can trade consecutive round1 picks in the NBA. Normally you see something like 2011/2013/2015 in deals.

I think there is a league rule? If so, the players will have retired before all the picks are made.

The Nets have all their own picks and picks from the Lakers, Warriors, and Rockets.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
If the Nets trade goes down, the Nuggets would be a team with a handful of nice pieces, a couple of headcases, and no superstar. That in the West would be just about good enough to finish 10th next year.

The team with its current composition isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, might as well blow it up and try to rebuild it.

Sucks that this is the way it's done in the NBA, but that's what it takes.

Mountain Bronco
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
You can't trade consecutive years of your first round picks, but if you have other teams first round picks you can. If they got the lackers and nets picks this year plus Rockets pick and a nets pick in 2013 that wouldn't be bad. However, Favors looks a awful lot like a bust to me. I know it is early and he is young, but he hasn't shown me anything at all to suggest he is more than a backup big man.

Fact is losing Melo puts the Nuggets out of the playoffs and in mediocrity for a long time, unless they get real lucky with future lottery picks.

vancejohnson82
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Lawson And Harris at 1 and 2, (Afflalo at 3???) and Favors and Nene at 4 and 5???

Sounds pretty good to me

Harris disappears when you put him at the two. The Nets tried to do some of that earlier in the year (Farmar at point and Harris at 2)

Favors has progressed nicely, in my opinion. Been watching the Nets all year (I live right by the Prudential Center) and he would be a good pickup for the Nuggets to build on.

The lineup you've got listed above is kinda small though

montrose
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Nugz would likely flip Harris to Portland for Nicolas Batum as was discussed a few weeks back, also talk they'd like to deal Murphy if the deal goes down. Between all those deals and a possible Nene trade this team could be really inrtiguing a few years from now with assets in: Lawson, Afflalo, Favors, Batum, and whatever they do with the multiple picks and what they would get from Nene and Murphy.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
The team with it's current composition isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, might as well blow it up and try to rebuild it.

Sucks that this is the way it's done in the NBA, but that's what it takes.

You can blow it up and still keep the good pieces that can contribute in the present and the future. But they're not going to do that.

Of course they're going to get rid of Martin and JR, but they're also going to dump as much salary as they can under the guise that they will actually be able to entice free agents to come to Denver. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they flip Afflalo in order to get a contender to take on the Harrington or Birdman contracts. Just plain bull****.

Kroenke started out as such a good owner; spending on not only the Nuggets but the Avs. I just don't know what happened to him.

Kaylore
02-18-2011, 11:58 AM
It would be the Lakers pick (2011, I think), a Rockets protected pick, and the Nets next two picks - that seems to be what is most consistently reported, at this point. They may turn around and trade one or two of those picks after the trade.

Carmelo needs to realize that the only way he's getting a deal before the new CBA is with either Denver or New Jersey. He could roll the dice and hope the new CBA doesn't hurt him, but it's a huge risk.

http://thebestweddingblogever.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pouting-baby-bride.jpg
"But I wanna be a knick an I wanna big moneys too!!!"

bfoflcommish
02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
This can't be true, he's getting traded to lakers.
Remember?? That wasn't a false rumor I was told by
all laker fans here.

Punisher
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Nuggets will be silly not to do this

Chris
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
If this trade goes down and things pan out for the nuggets... do they still have to put the ball in the basket / trash can thing or can they throw it into the endzone?

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
You can't trade consecutive years of your first round picks, but if you have other teams first round picks you can. If they got the lackers and nets picks this year plus Rockets pick and a nets pick in 2013 that wouldn't be bad. However, Favors looks a awful lot like a bust to me. I know it is early and he is young, but he hasn't shown me anything at all to suggest he is more than a backup big man.

Fact is losing Melo puts the Nuggets out of the playoffs and in mediocrity for a long time, unless they get real lucky with future lottery picks.

Yeah, I was mistaken on the picks. Instead of a 2012 Nets pick, it would be a protected pick they acquired from Golden State.

So, the four picks would be next year's Nets, and protected picks from the Lakers, Rockets, and Warriors.

bfoflcommish
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
As foolish as nuggs would be not to take deal.
I don't see anyone in this draft worth it to have
4 firsts.

RhymesayersDU
02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Are they all in this draft?

Either way love the trade.

bombay
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
The only deal I'd make if I were the Nuggets.

serious hops
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Come on Melo, don't screw us over! Sign that extension.

serious hops
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Nene, Favors, Afflalo and Lawson should be your first building blocks if this trade goes down. It would be silly to trade Nene because he's very good and still young enough to be in his prime when you're good again. The only reason to trade him is because they don't want to pay him his next contract. So, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded him.

Nene is a pretty good young piece, but the flipside is that he's had a TON of injury problems, and has a player option to get out of his contract at the end of the year. I think Denver has to legitimately ask themselves how willing they are to risk signing him to a big contract. I'm guessing they're pretty wary after watching Kenyon's millions mostly sit on the bench over the years. I'm in favor of letting him go if they can get something decent in return.

Nugz would likely flip Harris to Portland for Nicolas Batum as was discussed a few weeks back, also talk they'd like to deal Murphy if the deal goes down. Between all those deals and a possible Nene trade this team could be really inrtiguing a few years from now with assets in: Lawson, Afflalo, Favors, Batum, and whatever they do with the multiple picks and what they would get from Nene and Murphy.

I'm guessing if they move Anthony they'll look to move JR Smith as well.

bronclvr
02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Nuggets and Nets reportedly agree on deal, leaving Anthony to determine his own fate
Kurt Helin
Feb 18, 2011, 1:01 PM EST
At long last, a deal is reportedly in place which would make Carmelo Anthony a Net…if he so chooses. According to Fred Kerber of the New York Post, New Jersey and Denver have agreed to terms on a deal that would bring the Anthony trade saga to its overdue conclusion.

However, as has been the case all along, finalization of the deal depends on Anthony himself. Should Anthony give his approval by way of agreeing to sign an extension with the Nets, this is the likely final form of the trade that will significantly alter the complexions of the two franchises (per the Post):

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/nuggets-and-nets-reportedly-agree-on-anthony-deal/related

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Are they all in this draft?

Either way love the trade.

The Nets and Lakers picks would be in this draft. The other two are protected starting in 2012, if I am not mistaken.

Flex Gunmetal
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
There is no truth to the NJ deal reported today, some douche made it up to get people on his twitter. Dude is backtracking pretty hard now.

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
There is no truth to the NJ deal reported today, some douche made it up to get people on his twitter. Dude is backtracking pretty hard now.

Link?

Flex Gunmetal
02-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Link?

http://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone

His article:
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...o_say_yes.html

"Sources: Nets, Nuggets reach agreement; now it's up to Carmelo Anthony to say yes"

HOWEVER...

Carmelo says he knows nothing about it.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/201...medium=twitter

schaaf
02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
****!

gtown
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I highly doubt that he will sign the deal for the Nets trade. I think he simply leaves at the end of the year and renews the drama with the Knicks and whoever he can use to play off the Knicks to get the money and location he wants. The Nuggs get nothing.

lostknight
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Carmelo is lying out of his ass, as usual. The Nuggests are getting ****ed over in extremely long, drawn out, slow motion. You can rank this up there Carmelo saying that he never asked for a trade.

Carmelo has all the leverage here, and he knows it. And he doesn't mind burning the franchise to the ground to prove it/leverage it.

Yet another reason I despise the NBA.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
http://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone

His article:
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...o_say_yes.html

"Sources: Nets, Nuggets reach agreement; now it's up to Carmelo Anthony to say yes"

HOWEVER...

Carmelo says he knows nothing about it.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/201...medium=twitter

Some douche? You realize that's a Nets beat writer correct? You claim he's backtracking pretty hard, link to his Twitter account, and he says in there (23 minutes ago as of now) that he's 100% certain they've got an agreement pending Melo's agreement on an extension. That doesn't sound like backtracking.

I haven't read the article, so I don't know if he's using Iannazzone as the source, but a reporter for the New York Post is saying there's an agreement in place also.

Do you know what Melo is claiming to know nothing about? Meeting with the Nets owner. He also claims he knows nothing about meeting with Dolan (Knicks owner either), but no one is mentioning that part.

How close have you followed this? Have you read any of Melo's quotes during this entire trade process? Melo always claims to never know what's going on. He's either a complete liar about knowing nothing, or he's totally in the dark and lets other run his affairs. Which claim do you think is probably the more accurate one? Melo absolutely knows what's going on, he's petrified to be compared to LeBron so he's trying to be all things to all people (won't publically turn down teams, says he's thinking about re-signing with the Nugs, won't make his intentions clear, etc.).

bronco_diesel
02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
well, who cares anymore. the nuggets have done well to make themselves completely non relevant to me anymore.

Flex Gunmetal
02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Some douche? You realize that's a Nets beat writer correct? You claim he's backtracking pretty hard, link to his Twitter account, and he says in there (23 minutes ago as of now) that he's 100% certain they've got an agreement pending Melo's agreement on an extension. That doesn't sound like backtracking.

I haven't read the article, so I don't know if he's using Iannazzone as the source, but a reporter for the New York Post is saying there's an agreement in place also.

Do you know what Melo is claiming to know nothing about? Meeting with the Nets owner. He also claims he knows nothing about meeting with Dolan (Knicks owner either), but no one is mentioning that part.

How close have you followed this? Have you read any of Melo's quotes during this entire trade process? Melo always claims to never know what's going on. He's either a complete liar about knowing nothing, or he's totally in the dark and lets other run his affairs. Which claim do you think is probably the more accurate one? Melo absolutely knows what's going on, he's petrified to be compared to LeBron so he's trying to be all things to all people (won't publically turn down teams, says he's thinking about re-signing with the Nugs, won't make his intentions clear, etc.).

I figured by the publication pulling the article offline they were backtracking. Part of the article hinges on Melo making his decision during a meeting with the nets/ownership over the allstar break. A meeting Melo claims he doesn't know about.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2011, 02:48 PM
The article wasn't pulled, it's just a dead link. It's still up there because it took me less than 10 seconds after clicking your link to find the story again.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Nene is a pretty good young piece, but the flipside is that he's had a TON of injury problems, and has a player option to get out of his contract at the end of the year. I think Denver has to legitimately ask themselves how willing they are to risk signing him to a big contract. I'm guessing they're pretty wary after watching Kenyon's millions mostly sit on the bench over the years. I'm in favor of letting him go if they can get something decent in return.

Since the testicular cancer scare (not exactly an injury and he actually came back to play in the same year), Nene has played in 77/82, 82/82 and this year 51/51. He's actually proved to be more durable than most centers in the league. You're right in saying the Nuggets probably aren't willing to sign him to a big contract, but it has nothing to do with his durability or his basketball ability.

extralife
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM

that would be the smallest, most finesse lineup in the league. we'd be the Warriors without anyone that can get his own shot. and one shooter. we'd be awful

but what the hell I'm sick of this, go do it.

GSRelyea
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Lawson is ready to be a starter, like others have said Afflalo, Nene are also nice pieces to build around. They are going to need more scoring in the front court badly. Favors looks pretty good and very young his nubers are around 5 & 5 (guesstimate)he seems to get into fowl trouble, but you can't teach size and athletic abilty, and he has both. I hope they try to move Harris(not a big fan), but if it turns out they keep him and or Murphy it def won't be a bad thing. People forget that when Muprhy is healthy he is a 17/10 guy. I think Lawson as a starter can give atleast 15 & 7 plus & he will get a coule of steals as well.

bombay
02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Nene's numbers will improve without Carmelo around. I hope they keep him.

schaaf
02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
that would be the smallest, most finesse lineup in the league. we'd be the Warriors without anyone that can get his own shot. and one shooter. we'd be awful

but what the hell I'm sick of this, go do it.

The only position you would be losing height and size at would be Carmelo's.

We're sending Balkman, Ely, and Williams who don't even play along with Melo and Chauncey.

So I don't think our lineup would be that much smaller.

extralife
02-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Melo absolutely knows what's going on, he's petrified to be compared to LeBron so he's trying to be all things to all people (won't publically turn down teams, says he's thinking about re-signing with the Nugs, won't make his intentions clear, etc.).

which of course makes him <I>exactly</i> like LeBron: ie, a complete phony. and not just a complete phony, but one that is seriously 100% clueless as to why people think he comes out of this looking bad. he honestly does not see how holding the city hostage while flirting with sportscenter and new york, wrecking a season for a team that was build around clearing cap space so as to give it another legitimate go with him after he signed the extension, publicly throwing Denver under the bus by essentially wanted out of the city at any cost (while also pretending it isn't a big deal and hey I GAVE THEM YEARS and smiling like a jackass thinking that'll make it all better and pretending like he "just wants it all to go away" and acting like the victim when all he has to do is agree to take $65 million straight up from a city he could have owned to make it go away), and, oh, by the way, dragging the one guy who legitimately wants to play in Denver (Chauncey) off to New ****ing Jersey with him--he doesn't see how this could possibly make him look like a bad guy. it's ridiculous.

extralife
02-18-2011, 04:07 PM
The only position you would be losing height and size at would be Carmelo's.

We're sending Balkman, Ely, and Williams who don't even play along with Melo and Chauncey.

So I don't think our lineup would be that much smaller.

you're playing Afllalo at the 3 while starting undersized point guards at both the one and the two. and you have Nene--who is not a center, has never averaged 8 rebounds a game in his life, and has no desire to be a focal point of anything--as your primary post guy. oh and you have a 19 year old schlub who struggles to bring down 5 boards a game at the four.

spdirty
02-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I highly doubt that he will sign the deal for the Nets trade. I think he simply leaves at the end of the year and renews the drama with the Knicks and whoever he can use to play off the Knicks to get the money and location he wants. The Nuggs get nothing.

You do understand that the Melo could lose up to 30-40 mil if he doesnt sign the extension and signs a new owner friendly new CBA deal with the Knicks instead, making 7-10 mil per for a max deal rather than the 22 per that the extension gives him.

schaaf
02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
you're playing Afllalo at the 3 while starting undersized point guards at both the one and the two. and you have Nene--who is not a center, has never averaged 8 rebounds a game in his life, and has no desire to be a focal point of anything--as your primary post guy. oh and you have a 19 year old schlub who struggles to bring down 5 boards a game at the four.

I didn't say that is who would start.

Do you not think that they will try and go out and get a little bigger bodies? And I have absolutely no clue if Afflallo could play the 3. IMO it would be Lawson and Harris or Afflalo and Favors and Nene starting and still needing one more player. There would also be 4 first round picks to address that.

lostknight
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
The nuggets are pretty much shafted. I don't see how a deal with the Nets gets done, because Melo doesn't want it. He obviously doesn't want to stay in Denver. They have no leverage, and may just reclaim the all-time worst record in sports next year.

This, plus the state of the Broncos, is why the Rockies are pouring money into their talent to keep them around. Nuggets will be lucky to even sniff the playoffs for a while.

DomCasual
02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
The nuggets are pretty much shafted. I don't see how a deal with the Nets gets done, because Melo doesn't want it. He obviously doesn't want to stay in Denver. They have no leverage, and may just reclaim the all-time worst record in sports next year.

This, plus the state of the Broncos, is why the Rockies are pouring money into their talent to keep them around. Nuggets will be lucky to even sniff the playoffs for a while.

That's a very bright outlook, Mr. Positive-pants.

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
If Melo refuses this trade, he's gonna be the most hated athlete in Denver. He wants out, the fans know he wants out, yet he's holding Denver back from making a trade that could put him in NY/NJ area and give Denver some decent compensation.

Melo has made a boat load of money off the Nuggets, its not like he's been underpaid to play in Denver.

lostknight
02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
If Melo refuses this trade, he's gonna be the most hated athlete in Denver. He wants out, the fans know he wants out, yet he's holding Denver back from making a trade that could put him in NY/NJ area and give Denver some decent compensation.

Melo has made a boat load of money off the Nuggets, its not like he's been underpaid to play in Denver.

Why do you think he keeps making these faux "I don't know what's going on?" type comments and "I never asked for a trade."

Denver, meet Cleveland. Cleveland, Denver.

Chris
02-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I have developed a new term for the likes of Carmelo Anthony. He's a b!thd!ck.

robbieopperude
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
A couple things to point out on this deal.
1. Denver can keep Carmelo and hope to franchise him if they don't like the Knicks offer and he won't sigh with New Jersey
2. Draft picks in the NBA are a crapshoot. Especially when you are talking about a middle to late round picks from L.A. and Houston. Those guys are really hit/miss.
3. I see Denver trading Nene and JR after making this trade to make room for some of the young guys coming in the next couple of years.
4. Denver will likely be pretty bad next year w/out Carmelo and Chauncey.

titan
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Nuggets had their chance at a ring 2 years ago when they outplayed the Lakers in the first 2 games of the Western Finals in LA but only split 1-1. Still if they held home court they win that series, and the NBA Championship (nuggets would have beat orlando like the lakers did), but they lost game 3 and the series.

As a longtime Nuggets fan I'm ready to see the team blown up and start over. Nuggets went as far as they could with Carmelo in 2009 and have regressed since then. I like the Nets package of Favors and #1 picks, but hearing tonight it might be the Knicks who seal the deal.

TonyR
02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Like him or hate him, Simmons knows his NBA hoops. Here's what he said about Favors in yesterday's column:

It's all about Favors having an "NBA body" right now; we're not allowed to rush to a final judgment even though a 19-year-old lottery pick is forgettable night after night after night in a Kwame-ish way. I caught him twice in person: He bombed the "If I'm Seeing You Live, No Matter How Young You Are, I Shouldn't Be Able to Zone Out And Forget That You're Allegedly Doing Your Specialty In Front Of Me" test. (Important note: Same goes for Broadway actors, musicians, belly dancers, comedians, politicians and chefs at those Japanese restaurants at which they cook for 10-12 people at a time.) It's not like he's any younger than DeMarcus Cousins. Shouldn't Favors be showing something by now?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110217

bombay
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Anthony will back down. Make the deal with the nets or none at all. He doesn't have the guts to risk 30 million.

Bronco Vixen
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Perhaps with the Nets coming somewhat strong again, that will force the knicks to give up more (i.e., Gallinari & Felton) plus a first rounder. Chauncey's old as dirt, adios.

OABB
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Like him or hate him, Simmons knows his NBA hoops. Here's what he said about Favors in yesterday's column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110217

Whose that in your fapatar?

schaaf
02-19-2011, 12:01 AM

hahaha that could be my new favorite word

SpringStein
02-19-2011, 06:20 AM
If nothing else, the Nets aggressiveness got the Knicks to up their offer:

The Knicks have upped the ante to get the Nuggets' all-star forward, offering forwards Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari, point guard Raymond Felton, center Eddy Curry and a first-round draft pick (to be obtained from Minnesota) for Anthony, Denver guard Chauncey Billups and fill-in players to complete NBA salary-matching requirements, a source said Friday night. Yahoo.com first reported the parameters of the deal.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17428227

Broncoman13
02-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Is the First round pick from the Knicks (T-Wolves) a protected first round pick or a potential lottery pick.

The Nets' pick from Golden State, is that pick protected?

Once you get out of the top 10 in the NBA, first round picks aren't worth a whole lot. I remember a few years back when the Rockets had three first round picks... I don't think they ended up with a single starting player from those three picks (in the 15-25 range).
Then again, the Rockets also traded Rudy Gay for Shane Battier.

I don't pay much attention to the NBA outside of Denver. Seems like Chandler and Gallinari would be a better combo than Favors and Harris. Felton and Curry would probably be re-dealt, no? I like Felton (big UNC fan) but I like Lawson more. I guess it would be nice to have two PGs on the team...

SpringStein
02-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Is the First round pick from the Knicks (T-Wolves) a protected first round pick or a potential lottery pick.

I wondered the same. At this time certainly a lottery pick if it is this year's.

TonyR
02-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Irina Shayk, this year's SI swimsuit cover girl.

bombay
02-19-2011, 10:21 AM
ESPN scroll says Anthony would sign with the Nets if the Knick deal isn't worked out. I'm starting to wonder if the Knick deal wouldn't be better, at least for competing now. The Nets own pick would be lottery, as would Minnesota's. The other Net's picks - Houston (protected) Golden State (protected) and Lakers (worthless) don't mean that much, and one would have to be packaged to dump Murphy. From the Knicks, three guys who are known NBA players, from the Nets a possible future player in Favors, but not much in Harris, unless he's moved to Portland as has been rumored.

I'm waffling.

ghostofjosh
02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Hes going to the knicks.all indications here that it will be done by monday,the nets are a smokescreen,he blew off the meeting with prokorov....he will go FA before he went to the Nets and just sign with the Knicks next season

ghostofjosh
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
hes already said giving up all those players plus 4 first round picks to get him will keep them from winning for a long time-meaning the nets

BroncoLifer
02-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I wondered the same. At this time certainly a lottery pick if it is this year's.

http://prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Nets.htm

It's a great site for answering those questions.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
ESPN scroll says Anthony would sign with the Nets if the Knick deal isn't worked out. I'm starting to wonder if the Knick deal wouldn't be better, at least for competing now. The Nets own pick would be lottery, as would Minnesota's. The other Net's picks - Houston (protected) Golden State (protected) and Lakers (worthless) don't mean that much, and one would have to be packaged to dump Murphy. From the Knicks, three guys who are known NBA players, from the Nets a possible future player in Favors, but not much in Harris, unless he's moved to Portland as has been rumored.

I'm waffling.

Compete now? What exactly are they competing for? Trying to get to the 2nd round of the WC Playoffs? None of those Knicks guys will ever be stars or take them to the next level. The point of this trade is cut salary, and position themselves for a rebuild within whatever new CBA is eventually adopted.

If not a lot of guys go pro becaue of labor uncertainty, the '12 draft is going to be much deeper than normal, even semi-protected picks from Houston and Golden State (only Top 7 protected) are going to be much more valuable than most seasons.

bombay
02-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Compete now? What exactly are they competing for? Trying to get to the 2nd round of the WC Playoffs? None of those Knicks guys will ever be stars or take them to the next level. The point of this trade is cut salary, and position themselves for a rebuild within whatever new CBA is eventually adopted.

If not a lot of guys go pro becaue of labor uncertainty, the '12 draft is going to be much deeper than normal, even semi-protected picks from Houston and Golden State (only Top 7 protected) are going to be much more valuable than most seasons.

Meh. You're probably right, although Favors increasingly looks like Kwame Brown, and unless Harris can be shipped right out to Portland I don't see him having much value to the Nuggets. I didn't know the picks were only protected through 7, though, and your point about the 2012 draft is a good one.

One thing is certain: the Nuggets hold the trump card, and I don't understand why people don't see that. Melo isn't leaving $65 M on the table with the lockout pending.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Houston's pick has a diff't restriction, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head

schaaf
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
If they can get Gallinari and Felton they could both be pieces to build around. I don't see anyone from the Nets staying. I watched Favors last night and that kid doesn't know how to rebound AT all.

extralife
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
The Knicks' offer is better, but at the same time we'd basically be turning our team into the Knicks with Nene instead of Amare. And the Knicks are a .500 team in the east. So no, we wouldn't be winning ****.

Chris
02-19-2011, 01:51 PM
They aren't winning **** period so I say go for the draft picks.

RhymesayersDU
02-19-2011, 03:11 PM
For me personally, I'm at least happy with both deals now. I mean, I'd prefer the Nets but if it's going to be the Knicks then so be it. I'm glad they upped their offer.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
The Knicks' offer is better, but at the same time we'd basically be turning our team into the Knicks with Nene instead of Amare. And the Knicks are a .500 team in the east. So no, we wouldn't be winning ****.

If the Knicks deal was better, Melo would have been traded by now and the Nuggets wouldn't have forced him to have a sit down with Prokhorov.

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Well by all accounts the Nuggets still prefer Favors + the picks from NJ. That's the deal they want.

But I personally can at least live with the NY deal.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Well by all accounts the Nuggets still prefer Favors + the picks from NJ. That's the deal they want.

But I personally can at least live with the NY deal.

Yeah, the FO wants the Nets deal because it's the better deal. No one thinks the Knicks deal is the better of the two deals on the table.

Bronco Vixen
02-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm actually pretty excited. We somehow managed to go from getting completely hosed to having two really strong deals on the table - perhaps even the stronger side of both deals.

The NJ deal is better IMO. Favors is exciting and I think Harris > Felton particularly for the West. Plus if we can somehow flip the Murphy deal.

The 4 first round picks are insane as well: 1 is a top 7 protected pick from the Warriors and then there is their own, which will be valuable- it's not like Melo & crew, which would include grandpa Billups, FAS face Shelden, Ely & Renaldo are going to skyrocket their standings.

All of that said. Melo is as P-whipped as it comes, so he's going to NY. This is all just posturing.

serious hops
02-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the FO wants the Nets deal because it's the better deal. No one thinks the Knicks deal is the better of the two deals on the table.

The Knicks deal is still junk. At least the Nets deal comes with some potential.

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm actually pretty excited. We somehow managed to go from getting completely hosed to having two really strong deals on the table - perhaps even the stronger side of both deals.

The NJ deal is better IMO. Favors is exciting and I think Harris > Felton particularly for the West. Plus if we can somehow flip the Murphy deal.

The 4 first round picks are insane as well: 1 is a top 7 protected pick from the Warriors and then there is their own, which will be valuable- it's not like Melo & crew, which would include grandpa Billups, FAS face Shelden, Ely & Renaldo are going to skyrocket their standings.

All of that said. Melo is as P-whipped as it comes, so he's going to NY. This is all just posturing.

Well the word is that Murphy will be immediately traded, BUT, to get a team to take on his huge salary, the Nuggies will have to ship 1 of the 4 first round picks to sweeten the deal.

schaaf
02-20-2011, 01:48 PM
What do you think they would get in return?

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
No idea. I mean it'd be really just a salary move so nobody of note I don't think.

bombay
02-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Isn't Murphy's an expiring contract? Is that suddenly not an asset?

extralife
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
it's not when your owner is a cheap asshole

which is why he prefers the Nets deal. you don't have to pay draft picks, especially if they don't make the team.

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 02:22 PM
So a quick Google search on the issue provided this:

Troy Murphy could still be involved in a trade for Carmelo Anthony, but for luxury-tax reasons the Nuggets reportedly won't take his expiring $12 million contract. Denver would "package" Murphy with at least one of the whopping four first-round picks that the Nets would give up, and send him along to another team. Minnesota, Cleveland, and Detroit have all been mentioned, and fantasy owners can only sit back and hope that he is actually used wherever he lands.

So yes it is an expiring, but it's still a lot of money.

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
it's not when your owner is a cheap a-hole

which is why he prefers the Nets deal. you don't have to pay draft picks, especially if they don't make the team.

That's certainly one (short sided) view of the situation.

Kroenke isn't cheap; he's smart. We've tried overpaying for players (see Martin, Kenyon) in the past. $$ =/= success.

Bronco Vixen
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
So a quick Google search on the issue provided this:

So yes it is an expiring, but it's still a lot of money.

The Hornets are reportedly very interested as he is a good fit for them and since we've suddenly become Jack Donaghy-esque in our contract negotiations skills we may be able to get away with a second.

bombay
02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
OK, wait. Getting Eddy Curry from the Knicks is good because he has an expiring contract.

Getting Troy Murphy from the Nets is bad because he has an expiring contract.

?

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
OK, wait. Getting Eddy Curry from the Knicks is good because he has an expiring contract.

?

I'm wondering if Eddy Curry gets dealt if that deal goes through? I don't know. Maybe he's making less?

All I know is, they're definitely dealing Murphy if they get him, or so the rumor goes.

bombay
02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm wondering if Eddy Curry gets dealt if that deal goes through? I don't know. Maybe he's making less?

All I know is, they're definitely dealing Murphy if they get him, or so the rumor goes.

I know, just can't understand the difference. Curry's contract is being presented as a positive in the Knicks deal, and.... the rest. Can't wrap brain around.

Bronco Vixen
02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
The Nets have about a billion back-up trade rumors flying right now. They know Melo sho aint signing that extension. Hopefully we can count on continued asinine management moves from the Knicks to step up with something strong so we can all just get on with our lives!

Bronco Vixen
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
[/B]

I know, just can't understand the difference. Curry's contract is being presented as a positive in the Knicks deal, and.... the rest. Can't wrap brain around.

I'm with you, it makes zero sense. At least to a ruh-tard like me.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 02:47 PM

?

They're not getting Curry, he would be traded right away to Minnesota.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
it's not when your owner is a cheap a-hole

How many years have the Nuggets had a top 10 payroll and been in the luxury tax, only to get out the 1st round of the playoffs 1 time?

Yeah, Kroenke is a cheap a-hole for trying to cut payroll at this point.

And that Knicks deal still sucks.

bombay
02-20-2011, 02:51 PM
They're not getting Curry, he would be traded right away to Minnesota.

Would it cost the Nuggets to shed him, as it apparently would with Murphy? Would he be part of the Anthony Randolph for #1? How is it different?

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Would it cost the Nuggets to shed him, as it apparently would with Murphy? Would he be part of the Anthony Randolph for #1? How is it different?

Don't know. Now it sounds likes Rudolph is what it costs to get the Wolves to take Curry, and the 1st round pick is NYK's own 2014 pick.

So- 2014 1st round pick, Chandler (who said he doesn't want to play for Denver, and the Knicks couldn't re-sign him this offseason when he's an RFA anyway), Gallinari, and I'd assume something nominal from Minnesota for Melo, Billups, and fillers.

Someone tell me again how this is such a great deal for the Nuggets?

bombay
02-20-2011, 03:06 PM
The deal has been presented in the Denver media as the 1st round pick being Minnesota's. Therefore a lottery pick. If it's the knicks' pick it's a whole different deal.

At any rate, **** the knicks. Do the nets deal. Anthony will not leave the money on the table.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 03:14 PM
The deal has been presented in the Denver media as the 1st round pick being Minnesota's. Therefore a lottery pick. If it's the knicks' pick it's a whole different deal.

At any rate, **** the knicks. Do the nets deal. Anthony will not leave the money on the table.

It is not Minnesota's pick because they wouldn't give up a lottery pick (currently 2nd overall) for Randolph and to absorb Eddy Curry's expiring contract, and they don't have their own pick to trade this year.

The Clippers own Minnesota's 1st with Top 10 protection this year, and the pick is completely unprotected in 2012.

That's terrible reporting if the Denver Post is claiming it's Minnesota's own 1st round pick. Minnesota owns Memphis' and Utah's 1st round picks this year (both Top 14 protected).

And I agree, I hope they walk from the Knicks deal.

bombay
02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think anyone in Denver media (with the probable exception of Clough, who's not on on weekends) has a real grasp of all the possible permutations of this deal. I'm sold that the Net's deal is the only one the Nuggets should consider, though. He's not going to leave 3/65 laying around when there is a very real possibility that salaries will cap out at $12M after the players are locked out for very possibly an entire season. There will most probably be an NHL hard cap in place at that time, as well as a franchise player tag.

extralife
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
How many years have the Nuggets had a top 10 payroll and been in the luxury tax, only to get out the 1st round of the playoffs 1 time?

Yeah, Kroenke is a cheap a-hole for trying to cut payroll at this point.

And that Knicks deal still sucks.

he's been doing nothing but cutting payroll for both the Nuggs and the Avs for five years now. he paid the tax because we ****ed up and gave Kmart a max deal back when the novelty of owning sports teams hadn't yet worn out for Kroenke. Now he has a new toy (Rams) and is trying to get full control of another (Arsenal). The Avs and Nuggets combined are a drop in the bucket compared to those two teams.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
he's been doing nothing but cutting payroll for both the Nuggs and the Avs for five years now. he paid the tax because we ****ed up and gave Kmart a max deal back when the novelty of owning sports teams hadn't yet worn out for Kroenke. Now he has a new toy (Rams) and is trying to get full control of another (Arsenal). The Avs and Nuggets combined are a drop in the bucket compared to those two teams.

Kroenke's first love is basketball and his first love is the Nuggets.

montrose
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
So if the Knicks deal goes through (and my guess would be it will since I don't think Melo will sign with any other team including NJ even though the Nets offer is way better) - what are the Nugz looking at? I suppose to finish out the year you'd have:

C: Nene, Andersen
PF: Martin, Harrington, Ely
SF: Gallinari, Chandler, Forbes
SG: Afflalo, Smith
PG: Felton, Lawson, Carter

Then by the offseason K-Mart, JR, AC and Forbes will be off the books. Nene's expected to pickup his player option - there's talk the Rockets could be interested in him. The bi*ch is Harrington and Birdman's awful contracts - I don't see how they can be moved anytime soon. Gotta figure you're stuck with them.

d bronx42
02-20-2011, 05:43 PM
If we take the Knicks deal i want Danilo Gallinari > Landry Fields. Both are the same age, and DG has way more potential than Fields.

I dont want Felton though. Part of the benefit of trading Billups is that Ty Lawson would get to start. Which when he does he averages 17.7 points and 6.9 assists per game. Not to mention he shoots over 50% as well.

But as others said, at least both deals are very good now. Which wasn't the case 1 week ago. I just want to get this **** done. I am tired of seeing his chubby face on SportsCenter every day. They act like this guy is Kobe.

7 years, made it out of the 1st round.... Enough said. When the going gets tough, Melo quits. Including how he ran away at Madison Square Garden during that huge fight.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I think Nene gets traded and there's a chance JR does too.

montrose
02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Update

So it looks like NY has made their final offer and it is different according to CBS Sports (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/27587236). The particulars:

* Knicks get Melo, Chauncey, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter
* Timberwolves get Curry's expiring deal and Anthony Randolph
* Nugz get Gallinari, Chandler, Felton, Corey Brewer and NY's 2014 1st round pick

I suppose the logic here is the Nugz don't want to absorb Curry's expiring deal and pay the luxury tax this year - but why the hell would they want Gallinari, Chandler AND Brewer unless they plan on flipping one of those guys elsewhere?

I think Nene gets traded and there's a chance JR does too.

That would be awesome.

montrose
02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
One point I heard earlier today was that some expect the new-CBA in the NBA to look a lot like the NHL's - for the first time putting a premium on drafting and developing talent which may be why Masai was hired and he's looking to blow up this roster and start over with young players and picks.

bombay
02-20-2011, 06:09 PM
One point I heard earlier today was that some expect the new-CBA in the NBA to look a lot like the NHL's - for the first time putting a premium on drafting and developing talent which may be why Masai was hired and he's looking to blow up this roster and start over with young players and picks.

Right. Which gives value to the Nets deal and none to the Knicks. The new top wage will likely be in the neighborhood of $12 M. The Cap will be hard. Carmelo will sign the $65 million deal without doubt. He will sign with the Nets for sure if that is the trade that is made.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Would really love to see them walk away from the Knicks deal and tell Melo it's either the Nets or he takes his chances with the new CBA.

SpringStein
02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm no NBA expert - in fact, am pretty turned off by the look-at-me-me-me-League.

So a simple question - wouldn't Felton have some trade value, I think an argument could be made that he is a better PG than Lawson.

Obviously if the Nugs take this latest offer, I can't see it being their last move before Thursday.

bombay
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Would really love to see them walk away from the Knicks deal and tell Melo it's either the Nets or he takes his chances with the new CBA.

There is no reason for them to do anything else. And Willie Wesley can kiss my ass. What is his job, anyway?

Dudeskey
02-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Melo's a fool if he's willing to leave that much money on the table just for the Nicks

DomCasual
02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I so want him to end up with the Nets. Their deal is better, for one thing. But I would hate to see him end up having this work out perfectly for him.

extralife
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Kroenke's first love is basketball and his first love is the Nuggets.

Kroenke's first love is money. His second love is business. His third love, as the repeated miming of the notion you just posted can attest to, is marketing. He can "love" basketball all he wants--he is no longer interested in building a winner in Denver.

RhymesayersDU
02-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Melo's a fool if he's willing to leave that much money on the table just for the Nicks

Well this is certainly interesting for sure. To be honest, I would respect the hell out of Carmelo if he did that... I mean, I know that's not going to be a popular thing to say, and this entire process has been irritating. But if he really just wants to go home and is willing to sacrifice a bunch of money to do it, I would be impressed by that move.

With that said, I agree with your point... I'd never turn down that money, and I doubt he will either.

NFLBRONCO
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Kroenke's first love is money. His second love is business. His third love, as the repeated miming of the notion you just posted can attest to, is marketing. He can "love" basketball all he wants--he is no longer interested in building a winner in Denver.

I agree with you 90% but, the NBA hardly supports small market teams in today's NBA.

extralife
02-20-2011, 09:55 PM
So a simple question - wouldn't Felton have some trade value, I think an argument could be made that he is a better PG than Lawson.

There's no argument there: right now, he is better than Ty Lawson. The only way to keep both is to play them on the court at the same time at least twleve minutes a game. Maybe that's viable--I don't know. It would certainly spell the end of JR's time with the team, which can't come soon enough.

extralife
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I agree with you 90% but, the NBA hardly supports small market teams in today's NBA.

the dude is a multi-billionaire. he could lose money on the Nuggets for the next one hundred years before he even noticed.

Bronco Vixen
02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
"The thin veil of secrecy has torn away now, the pretenses gone and Isiah Thomas has left the shadows and moved into the light again. Once more, he is the New York Knicks’ top basketball executive."

"Walsh has never wanted to give away Raymond Felton(notes) for an aging Chauncey Billups(notes) and throw Danilo Gallinari(notes) into the package, too. This is all Isiah, all his influence."

"Only, Isiah Thomas never truly left the New York Knicks. From across the country on All-Star weekend, on a South Florida college campus, Thomas keeps pushing the big trade for the big Denver Nuggets star. Thomas has always bragged to Dolan about how close he is with ’Melo and how he’s sold the star on a future with the Knicks. It’s pure nonsense and pure gold for Thomas."

"Walsh wanted to see the Knicks back into the playoffs, and this is the year it happens. They aren’t chasing a championship, but they’ve returned to respectability and are in contention. Walsh had a smart, shrewd and patient plan to get Anthony. There were limits to the price to be paid for ’Melo, and Dolan has let Thomas exceed them in these contract talks. He’s humiliated Walsh, who, sources said, could still return to the Indiana Pacers as president should Larry Bird retire this summer."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-thomasknicks022011

Man-Goblin
02-21-2011, 09:09 AM
"The thin veil of secrecy has torn away now, the pretenses gone and Isiah Thomas has left the shadows and moved into the light again. Once more, he is the New York Knicks’ top basketball executive."

"Walsh has never wanted to give away Raymond Felton(notes) for an aging Chauncey Billups(notes) and throw Danilo Gallinari(notes) into the package, too. This is all Isiah, all his influence."

"Only, Isiah Thomas never truly left the New York Knicks. From across the country on All-Star weekend, on a South Florida college campus, Thomas keeps pushing the big trade for the big Denver Nuggets star. Thomas has always bragged to Dolan about how close he is with ’Melo and how he’s sold the star on a future with the Knicks. It’s pure nonsense and pure gold for Thomas."

"Walsh wanted to see the Knicks back into the playoffs, and this is the year it happens. They aren’t chasing a championship, but they’ve returned to respectability and are in contention. Walsh had a smart, shrewd and patient plan to get Anthony. There were limits to the price to be paid for ’Melo, and Dolan has let Thomas exceed them in these contract talks. He’s humiliated Walsh, who, sources said, could still return to the Indiana Pacers as president should Larry Bird retire this summer."

You had me at Isiah. Take them to the cleaners, Nuggs.

Tombstone RJ
02-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Point being, he bought the Nuggets because he loves basketball, hell, he played basketball in college. Of all his franchises, he's gonna make the Nuggets his first priority.

Steve Sewell
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM

To add, this was written by one of the more well respected sports journalists in the business, Adrian Wojnarowski.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Now Marc Stein is saying that Felton would be acquired just to be moved on to a 3rd team.

Still not a fan of the Knicks deal and it sounds like keeping Melo through the end of the season is not going to happen, so just get it over with. They're not making the playoffs after the trade this year and probably not next year either, but I am somewhat excited to see what assets they'll have moving forward at the start of the rebuild to go along with the cap space too.

extralife
02-21-2011, 11:05 AM
the best part about Isiah inexplicably being back in power is he has a day job as, you know, the coach of another basketball team. a (shock of shocks) last place basketball team.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Zeke is going to destroy the Knicks a second time around, and if Stat's knees go out, that team is going to be in even deeper ****.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Sources say NJ in talks w/Den to send 2 1st round picks to Den for Mozgov & either Gallinari, Chandler or Felton, if Melo traded to NYK

God this is hilarious now

Man-Goblin
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Sources say NJ in talks w/Den to send 2 1st round picks to Den for Mozgov & either Gallinari, Chandler or Felton, if Melo traded to NYK

Yes to Mozgov and Felton, no to Gallinari and Chandler. I think I'd throw up if they make this deal only to trade one of the young centerpieces.

Bronco Vixen
02-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Well Melo is finally getting his wish, he's somehow managed to surpass LeBron in media ludicrousity. This is starting to make "The Decision" look like your average uneventful bowel movement.

Chris
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
The Nuggets should keep Gallinari if they can.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
as a Nets fan, I would much rather grab Chandler Gallinari and Felton than Melo

wow, if they pull that off, the front office should win some kind of award

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
The Nuggets should keep Gallinari if they can.

Agreed.

bombay
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Sure. Send them Mozgov and Chandler for the Nets' pick and Golden States'.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Dare I say the Nuggets' FO is actually competant?

I know, I know, I just jinxed it.

colonelbeef
02-21-2011, 02:18 PM
As a Knicks fan, I can honestly say that I hate this trade. Losing Gallinari, Felton, Mozgov, Chandler, Randolph, AND the Curry expiring contract is way too much for an unrestricted FA.

If you guys get Gallinari, you are going to absolutely love him. Chandler has a high ceiling as well so long as he continues to extend his range outward- think Rasheed Wallace without the crap attitude.

Gallo is Nowitzki with less rebounding but more attitude driving to the rim and surprisingly agile and quick feet, and Mozgov is a completely unpolished finishing beast with raw athleticism and a knack for the big dunk.

Felton is an all around 2nd tier PG who should be good for 15/9 going forward at a minimum.

The more I think about it, the more I hate this trade.

colonelbeef
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLUCfG3l5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMabUn9AHxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX3YsYIQtmI

SoCalBronco
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
As a Knicks fan, I can honestly say that I hate this trade. Losing Gallinari, Felton, Mozgov, Chandler, Randolph, AND the Curry expiring contract is way too much for an unrestricted FA.

If you guys get Gallinari, you are going to absolutely love him. Chandler has a high ceiling as well so long as he continues to extend his range outward- think Rasheed Wallace without the crap attitude.

Gallo is Nowitzki with less rebounding but more attitude driving to the rim and surprisingly agile and quick feet, and Mozgov is a completely unpolished finishing beast with raw athleticism and a knack for the big dunk.

Felton is an all around 2nd tier PG who should be good for 15/9 going forward at a minimum.

The more I think about it, the more I hate this trade.

I think that's why Walsh is going to refuse the extension even if it is offered to him. The owner is destroying everything he worked to create.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Gallinari is a Dirk Nowitzki starter kit. He reminds me alot of young Dirk. His game isnt as complete or as efficient as Dirk's is, and he doesnt score as easily, but Dirk didnt either when he was in his second year.

I'd be happy about this if I was a Nuggets fan. In a couple of years, I think that Gallinari will be a better player than Anthony. Plus, he has a much better attitude and personality. He's not a whiny sad-faced guy who acts like a 5'2" player in a 6'8" body.

You guys will like Gallinari.

Kaylore
02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Is it possible the Knicks are just stirring the pot to eat time so the deadline hits and they can pretend the Nuggs didn't move fast enough? Melo is good player but he's one-sided. I liken him to a rich man's AI. I do appreciate that we're trying to work the Nets and Knicks at the same time to salvage some kind of value. It will suck if we're standing with our dicks in our hands and all we have to show for this is Melo taking less money.

Chris
02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I was in a club back home (Hong Kong) a few years ago when Team USA were in town and they rolled up. Anthony was by far the biggest attention whore and that includes Lebron.

Then they were all forced to leave by 12 like school kids which I found funny.

montrose
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Marc Spears is reporting the Nugz would do the NYK deal if Mosgov is included and they turned it down - for now.

DomCasual
02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm just so tired of thinking/talking about it. I hope they get it done today or tomorrow, so we still have a couple days to consider other deals. I'd really rather they keep Nene, at this point. I would love to see them dump JR Smith. Buffalo would be a great place for him. Since that armpit doesn't have a team (neg REP from Hogan forthcoming), maybe he could go to Cleveland.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Marc Spears is reporting the Nugz would do the NYK deal if Mosgov is included and they turned it down - for now.

That's pretty stupid on the Knicks' part. Stoudemire has a limited window. They cant wait for Gallinari, Mosgov, and Chandler to hit their primes. They need players who are mature now, not later.

bombay
02-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Regardless of how this ends, Anthony won't walk away from the 3/65. Might as well squeeze for all you can get.

crush17
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
It bums me out so much that Billups has to be a part of all these discussions. He's a home town guy and such a good player to have on your team.

Super sad to see him go if indeed it goes down like that.

montrose
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
It bums me out so much that Billups has to be a part of all these discussions. He's a home town guy and such a good player to have on your team.

The Nugz won't admit this but trading him helps them escape a potentially embarrassing situation this summer when they'd likely buy him out instead of paying him 14 million.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM

I agree, but he's the only way this team can get a good deal to move forward. It's tough when a guy like him says he wants to retire here, move to the front office here, and live here the rest of his life. I feel for him. But it has to happen.

Hopefully there's no bad blood and he can come back happily.

montrose
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Is it possible the Knicks are just stirring the pot to eat time so the deadline hits and they can pretend the Nuggs didn't move fast enough? Melo is good player but he's one-sided. I liken him to a rich man's AI. I do appreciate that we're trying to work the Nets and Knicks at the same time to salvage some kind of value. It will suck if we're standing with our ***** in our hands and all we have to show for this is Melo taking less money.

Possible although I've never thought NY to be that savvy as to pull something off. I've thought all year no deal will go down since both sides essentially have veto player and the receiving party can pull out anytime. I hope I'm wrong for the Nugz sake, although making a deal just to make a deal is dumb in the current NBA. Everyone is so snake bitten by Mutombo leaving and what followed - in today's NBA it's better to have no one under contract than average or crappy players filling up your roster: especially if the NBA goes to a hard cap as expected next year.

SpringStein
02-21-2011, 07:18 PM
As the Carmelo Anthony(notes) negotiations dragged on another day, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is pushing team officials to make the trade with the New York Knicks because it would better position the Nuggets to still contend for a playoff spot this season, league sources with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag.JtZvT0kXSYiTiIJFmSBO8vLYF?slug=ys-tradebuzz022111

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Denver Post says Melo to the Knicks is imminent, few minor details left to be worked out.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm fine with the deal as-is, I'm glad NJ got involved to make the Knicks up their offer. I just really hope we keep Gallinari and don't deal him to NJ.

Chris
02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
We're getting the picks for all those Knicks players, right?

montrose
02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
We're getting the picks for all those Knicks players, right?

To me the most interesting thing to watch is what's done with the players acquired from NY.

Already been rumors that Raymond Felton is only being acquired to go to a 3rd team - Portland for Nicholas Batum makes sense since that was discussed for Devin Harris in the NJ deal. Also rumored that NJ could send DEN 2 1st rounders for Timofey Mozgov and either Felton, Danillo Gallinari or Wilson Chandler. It's also been reported Eddy Curry's expiring deal may be sent to Minnesota for Corey Brewer and a draft pick so that the Nugz are under the luxury tax this year. Then, making things nuttier, are the rumors the Rockets are interested in Nene and the Hornets along with a few other teams may want JR Smith.

Once the Melo deal is done, the craziness isn't over for Denver - it actually may just begin...

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Once the Melo deal is done, the craziness isn't over for Denver - it actually may just begin...

It's a good point, and I wonder if leaving enough time to make other deals had any impact on this getting done tonight.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Dallas, Denver and New Jersey have discussed three-way that would land Harris with Mavs and Felton and Mozgov with Nets, source says.

extralife
02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
you still need to field a team this year.

theoretically

having twelve picks over the next two years doesn't even mean anything in the NBA. they're all lottery protected and the vast majority of those players won't make the roster. it's a salary dump, not a rebuild. there's a difference between the two.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
We get it, you hate the management. Nothing they do will be any good under any circumstance.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Dallas, Denver and New Jersey have discussed three-way that would land Harris with Mavs and Felton and Mozgov with Nets, source says.

this doesnt make sense....

so we get rid of Harris and Favors and two first rounders for Felton and Mozgov?

doesnt seem like a lot of reason for the Nets to be in this thing

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Multiple trade possibilities in motion with Knicks-Nuggets on cusp of 'Melo deal. "(Denver) is still haggling with NY," says league exec.

schaaf
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
As long as they keep Gallinari Im for it

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Several league executives talking to New York and Denver believe Knicks have caved and included Mozgov into trade package for 'Melo.

Any of you Twitter people should really follow @WojYahooNBA, he's good.

montrose
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
you still need to field a team this year.

theoretically

having twelve picks over the next two years doesn't even mean anything in the NBA. they're all lottery protected and the vast majority of those players won't make the roster. it's a salary dump, not a rebuild. there's a difference between the two.

One thing to consider is the NBA is expected to look a lot different after the CBA - more like the NHL. We may see a hard cap, non-guaranteed contracts, no lottery-protection (or the lottery done away with), and more of a premium on draft picks. Time will tell what happens but we have to consider it.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Several league executives talking to New York and Denver believe Knicks have caved and included Mozgov into trade package for 'Melo.

Any of you Twitter people should really follow @WojYahooNBA, he's good.

That dudes a dillweed.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
That dudes a dillweed.

Care to explain?

I'll be honest, I don't read him on Yahoo, but he's always on top of breaking news tidbits and whatnot on Twitter, so he's been OK by me.

Edit: I don't mean he breaks all the stories, but that he's always on Twitter to pass along news and whatnot.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Care to explain?

I'll be honest, I don't read him on Yahoo, but he's always on top of breaking news tidbits and whatnot on Twitter, so he's been OK by me.

Edit: I don't mean he breaks all the stories, but that he's always on Twitter to pass along news and whatnot.

He comes across as a jerk in his opinion pieces, but if he's breaking news then its worth following.

I hope you guys get Gallinari. He's a player that you guys deserve after putting up with all this nonsense. He's very underrated...mainly because he's a Euro.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
nuggetsnews Benjamin Hochman
TRADE official, source told Denver Post. Melo to Knicks www.denverpost.com/sports

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:09 PM
DP still says "imminent" but that was a legit Tweet from Hochman.

SpringStein
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
not seeing it....

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I just got the DP e-mail, but it just links to a story that says imminent. IDK.

nuggetsnews Benjamin Hochman
Also, look Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to end up in Minnesota, source said to Denver Post

SpringStein
02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Also, look Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to end up in Minnesota, source said to Denver Post

So Brewer comes here.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks
By Benjamin Hochman and Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post
POSTED: 02/21/2011 09:56:57 AM MST
UPDATED: 02/21/2011 08:17:03 PM MST

Carmelo Anthony. (Getty Images)
The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is finally over.

The Nuggets traded Melo to the New York Knicks tonight, a league source said. Denver gets Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

Anthony will go to New York, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman.

Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice as the team resumed workouts following the All-Star break.

Read more: Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17443219#ixzz1EecTQxBH
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17443219

jutang
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo
Carmelo Anthony is now a member of the Knicks, source tells Y! Sports.

SpringStein
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Great that Mazgov was also dealt.

Knick fans are going to be unhappy with all they gave up.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
so what the hell do the Nets get???

damnit, tell me that we got nothing out of this whole thing

extralife
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
One thing to consider is the NBA is expected to look a lot different after the CBA - more like the NHL. We may see a hard cap, non-guaranteed contracts, no lottery-protection (or the lottery done away with), and more of a premium on draft picks. Time will tell what happens but we have to consider it.

I would imagine some of those things, should they come to pass, would be grandfathered in. The NBA isn't going to tell teams that traded lottery protected picks "whoops, sorry, those picks are no longer lottery protected! tough luck!" especially since this is a CBA that will be hammered out on the owner's terms. they aren't going to screw each other over like that.

extralife
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
so what the hell do the Nets get???

damnit, tell me that we got nothing out of this whole thing

...there are Nets fans?

extralife
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Knicks 2014 pick lol

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
...there are Nets fans?

haha...i live right near the stadium....and it costs about 4 bucks to go to a game, so I consider myself a fan actually

but, no, the Nets do not have real fans

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm a Knicks fan and I'm not unhappy. If we didn't make this trade, he wasn't coming. I love gallo and am upset about losing him but everyone else save for maybe mozgov had no future with the knicks

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM

I think its a pretty fair trade, considering the Knicks got the best two players in the deal.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Nuggets fans got a nice deal out of this. You should be glad.

Gallinari has superstar potential, and looks like the euro to take the baton from Nowitzki in a couple of years.

SpringStein
02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I think its a pretty fair trade, considering the Knicks got the best two players in the deal.

Melo and ? Chauncey will be out of there in a year.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Why wouldnt Billups stay there? Seems like a great deal for him...Balkman goes back to the team that drafted him but he'll be gone, so will William

Nuggets fans got a really good deal in my opinion.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
We'll see on Billups. He did not want to be traded under any circumstances. But it could be a good situation for him. Who knows.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Melo and ? Chauncey will be out of there in a year.

Not catching your drift?

Melo is a Knick for life at this point, and you have Chauncey this year, yes, but irregardless, those are the best two players in this trade.

Chauncey, Melo, Stoudamire could make some noise this year, and what's to worry in the future? Both Deron Williams and Chris Paul have expressed interest in the Knicks in the offseason.

Who cares about Felton or Gallinardi if you have Melo, Stoudamire and one of those point guards as your base? You don't need a high point player at the two-guard, you need a role player who's a decent defender and can hit threes.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
so how about the Nugs send Chandler and Mosgov and Felton for a first rounder and Harris?

jutang
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Compared to the Cavs and Raptors, the Nuggets did really well.
Billups got screwed with this whole process. 2nd time the Nuggets let him go, but had to with their new team. Hope he gets another shot with a contender after this season.
Melo... just dumb. The knicks are now gutted and he's playing with another PF with fragile knees. Guys won't get any closer to a championship playing there.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Not catching your drift?

Melo is a Knick for life at this point, and you have Chauncey this year, yes, but irregardless, those are the best two players in this trade.

Chauncey, Melo, Stoudamire could make some noise this year, and what's to worry in the future? Both Deron Williams and Chris Paul have expressed interest in the Knicks in the offseason.

Who cares about Felton or Gallinardi if you have Melo, Stoudamire and one of those point guards as your base? You don't need a high point player at the two-guard, you need a role player who's a decent defender and can hit threes.

The Knicks need a big. Stoudemire is one of the worst interior defenders in the league. They need a guy like Perkins in Boston or Haywood in Dallas whose main purposes are to set picks, to box out, to rebound, and to defend the rim.

Dukes
02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Just glad it's over at this point

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Compared to the Cavs and Raptors, the Nuggets did really well.
Billups got screwed with this whole process. 2nd time the Nuggets let him go, but had to with their new team. Hope he gets another shot with a contender after this season.
Melo... just dumb. The knicks are now gutted and he's playing with another PF with fragile knees. Guys won't get any closer to a championship playing there.

The Billups thing pisses me off, but its business. It is what it is.

Billups is a Denver guy through and through. He told the fans he would be their John Elway when he came home, and damn near did it, if Karl hadn't decided Kenyon Martin should throw in an in-bound pass...

I'll stop there. Billups is the reason this team nearly got to the finals, not Melo...

vancejohnson82
The Knicks need a big. Stoudemire is one of the worst interior defenders in the league. They need a guy like Perkins in Boston or Haywood in Dallas whose main purposes are to set picks, to box out, to rebound, and to defend the rim.

Tyson Chandler has been dangling a bit....but I'm not sure if the Knicks have enough pieces to move anymore

SpringStein
I'm just not convinced that Chauncey, and I love him to death, is a better player now than Gallinari. The intangibles, leadership he brings is great - but he is getting closer to the end of his career.

I may be in the minority of Nugz fans - but I think the FO got all they could for a guy they would get nothing for in a few months.

extralife
02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
You don't need a high point player at the two-guard, you need <s>a role player who's a decent defender and can hit threes</s> Aaron Afflalo.

there's a reason he's the only untouchable on the Nuggets roster at this point. too bad for him, he'd flourish on the new Knicks.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
The Billups thing pisses me off, but its business. It is what it is.

Billups is a Denver guy through and through. He told the fans he would be their John Elway when he came home, and damn near did it, if Karl hadn't decided Kenyon Martin should throw in an in-bound pass...

I'll stop there. Billups is the reason this team nearly got to the finals, not Melo...

Anthony is soft. I agree 100% on Billups, who I think is one of the most underrated players of his era. He's up there with the best clutch shooters of his era.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
there's a reason he's the only untouchable on the Nuggets roster at this point. too bad for him, he'd flourish on the new Knicks.

Please. Aaron Afflalo players are a dime a dozen in the NBA. The Knicks will have no problem finding a player like that for league minimum...Jimmer Fredette?

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Tyson Chandler has been dangling a bit....but I'm not sure if the Knicks have enough pieces to move anymore

The Mavs arent looking to trade Chandler.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm just not convinced that Chauncey, and I love him to death, is a better player now than Gallinari. The intangibles, leadership he brings is great - but he is getting closer to the end of his career.

I may be in the minority of Nugz fans - but I think the FO got all they could for a guy they would get nothing for in a few months.

You guys are going to like Gallinari. He goes about his work. He'll do very well in Denver.

Tim
02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I like the trade. Anybody want to take a stab at the starting rotation?

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Anthony is soft. I agree 100% on Billups, who I think is one of the most underrated players of his era. He's up there with the best clutch shooters of his era.

I thought so too....but then i read this excerpt a few weeks ago on ESPN.com

In that player poll, Chauncey Billups got the second-most votes as the preferred go-to crunch-time scorer. Billups is 3-of-27 with the game on the line over the past five seasons. Dead last in the NBA among those who have attempted at least 15 shots.

interestingly enough, Melo was 1st in the actual percentage of "clutch" shots

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I like the trade. Anybody want to take a stab at the starting rotation?

Lawson
Afflalo
Gallinari
Martin
Nene

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I thought so too....but then i read this excerpt a few weeks ago on ESPN.com

In that player poll, Chauncey Billups got the second-most votes as the preferred go-to crunch-time scorer. Billups is 3-of-27 with the game on the line over the past five seasons. Dead last in the NBA among those who have attempted at least 15 shots.

interestingly enough, Melo was 1st in the actual percentage of "clutch" shots

Do you have a breakdown of those shots?

jutang
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
The Knicks can't even trade another 1st rounder until 2016! They really can only build through FA now. With the new CBA coming up, the Nuggets future looks a lot brighter than the Knicks imo.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Do you have a breakdown of those shots?

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

There is the link to the article...its actually really interesting.

I could have SWORN that Billups was one of the best clutch guys in the league...

montrose
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
ESPN just said expect Denver to try to move Mazgov, Felton, JR and Nene before Thursday.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

There is the link to the article...its actually really interesting.

I could have SWORN that Billups was one of the best clutch guys in the league...

Good stuff. Kudos to you for taking an honest look at that.

Those stats are always interesting. Players that are hyped up in the media usually arent as good as you would think, and players who are generally ignored by the media are usually alot better than you think they are.

TonyR
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
...Jimmer Fredette?

LOL!!! Fredette will never be successful in the NBA at 6-2. You can't play the 2 anymore at that size. Affalo is 6-5. Huge difference.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
LOL!!! Fredette will never be successful in the NBA at 6-2. You can't play the 2 anymore at that size. Affalo is 6-5. Huge difference.

Allen Iverson was a 2.

So is Jason Terry. Derrick Rose is effectively a 2 as well.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Good stuff. Kudos to you for taking an honest look at that.

Those stats are always interesting. Players that are hyped up in the media usually arent as good as you would think, and players who are generally ignored by the media are usually alot better than you think they are.

yea, the only reason I actually went in and started to read it through was because I used to argue all the time that Kobe wasn't extremely clutch

some of the names on that list are really surprising.

schaaf
02-21-2011, 08:53 PM

If Fredette was black there would be no discussion as to if he'll be good.

I'm not being racist or anything but thats the way it is with the NBA

Tim
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Lawson
Afflalo
Gallinari
Martin
Nene

I was thinking the same thing except chandler for kmart

extralife
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd really like to hang on to Felton. Karl has had experience juggling point guards in Denver before. I think you have to give it a shot because Felton is a talented guy that knows how to run the up-tempo offense that we're going to be forced to play. as it stands we're going to have to pick up some schlub to suck up ten minutes a game at the one and hope Lawson can immediately handle 35 minutes a game or more.

but hell, when you can get another lottery protected pick in a ****ty draft, you have to do it!

enjolras
02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
ESPN just said expect Denver to try to move Mazgov, Felton, JR and Nene before Thursday.

If that's true it's the Nuggets officially waving the white flag...which wouldn't surprise me. This team is going to be BAD for several years.

The hell that is Denver sports continues. My god this is so damn frusturating.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
If that's true it's the Nuggets officially waving the white flag...which wouldn't surprise me. This team is going to be BAD for several years.

yea, they shouldnt move all three....that would be unreal

TonyR
02-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Allen Iverson was a 2.

So now Fredette is comparable to Iverson and Rose? Look, I can't prove I'm right and you're wrong but you'll find out for yourself in a couple of years. Fredette is one of those guys who's a superb college player but he's not going to be an NBA starting caliber player. He's just not.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
So now Fredette is comparable to Iverson and Rose? Look, I can't prove I'm right and you're wrong but you'll find out for yourself in a couple of years. Fredette is one of those guys who's a superb college player but he's not going to be an NBA starting caliber player. He's just not.

J.J. Redick.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM

You said that you cant play 2 guard at that size, which is untrue.

About Fredette, I wouldnt know because I havent seen much of him.

TonyR
02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
If Fredette was black there would be no discussion as to if he'll be good.

I'm not being racist or anything but thats the way it is with the NBA

I agree to a point but white or black in most lineups you can't be 6-2 at the 2 in the NBA in this day and age. You can get away with that in the college game but you have to be really special to do that in the NBA and even then you're going to be a defensive liability.

Dukes
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Seriously, I have a hard time believing the Rockies are our only hope. Sorry Rapid fans.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
You said that you cant play 2 guard at that size, which is untrue.

About Fredette, I wouldnt know because I havent seen much of him.

Fredette in a an up-tempo sixth-man role would be intriguing in a the D'Antonio system.

Maybe not as a starter, but a change-of-pace, second-teamer/sixth man. Still valuable.

TonyR
02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
J.J. Redick.

Redick is an interesting comp but he's 6-4. But I'll agree that Fredette could possibly be a poor man's Redick.

extralife
02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
JJ Reddick is bigger and it took him about three chances before he became a worthwhile player, and even then he's almost entirely catch and shoot. There's no guarantee most guys get that long to prove themselves. From what little I know about him, I think Fredette has a shot, but there's little about his college game that would tell you that. Not only will he not dominate the ball in the pros, he likely won't even touch it without being in a shooting position.

footstepsfrom#27
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Allen Iverson was a 2.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nquee7IrSm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nquee7IrSm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i thought he ran the point?

maven
02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
CB1 vs STAT

KING JAMES vs MELO

WADE vs ROFL!

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
CB1 vs STAT

KING JAMES vs MELO

WADE vs ROFL!

LeBarn James is a whiny choker, Wade is always getting wheeled off the court with some minor injury, and Chris Bosh is fake tough...so the Knicks dont have a whole lot to worry about with that bunch of wusses. Not that Stoudemire isnt fake tough too. Anthony's also a crybaby.

They can all fake injuries and have a good cry together.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
LOL, Legler just said a problem could be the Knicks giving up 50 points per night. Last time I checked, Billups and Melo can get you 50 a night, easy.

This is a good trade for the Knicks, and the system the run under D'Antonio.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM

FWIW one of the local guys said Nene and JR won't move.

Man-Goblin
As the Carmelo Anthony(notes) negotiations dragged on another day, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is pushing team officials to make the trade with the New York Knicks because it would better position the Nuggets to still contend for a playoff spot this season, league sources with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag.JtZvT0kXSYiTiIJFmSBO8vLYF?slug=ys-tradebuzz022111

I can dig it. The more I think about the Kincks trade the more I think it can work. I would, however, have a problem if they immediately flipped Chandler or Gallinari for cap relief, for obvious reasons. And even Felton and Mozgov to an extent.

Trading Felton would be excusable because Lawson is ready to start, but having two dirt cheap young point guards will probably be worth more in the offseason after the new CBA. And it would be nice to have a true center on Mozgov, albeit a raw one, so you can see how Nene plays at the PF for once.

If they would just keep all their young assets after the trade (Lawson, Felton, Nene, Chandler, Gallinari, Afflalo, Mozgov) they're loaded with young talent, quality size, and have either Lawson or Felton as trade bate next year.

They'd be just a superstar away from being title contenders again in a couple years, but it looks like they're going to gamble and hope the new CBA benefits mediocre teams in medium sized markets with cap space. I hope that gamble pays off.

bombay

Steve Alford.

Missouribronc
LeBarn James is a whiny choker, Wade is always getting wheeled off the court with some minor injury, and Chris Bosh is fake tough...so the Knicks dont have a whole lot to worry about with that bunch of wusses.

Really? As hard as you defended Manu Ginobili? You're going to call James a whiny choker?

Please.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Really? As hard as you defended Manu Ginobili? You're going to call James a whiny choker?

Please.

Ginobili is a giant killer. James is the giant that always gets killed.

schaaf
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
**** Ginobili.

My most hated player in the NBA

TD30
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM

well it was fun while it lasted back to rooting for my favorite nba team the bulls. Must admit it was fun rooting for the local team but lets face it anything owned by Kroenke is going down the crapper. Unless it the rams.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
**** Ginobili.

My most hated player in the NBA

I dont know. I think that Garnett gets that title. I know that people in Denver despise Ginobili for some reason, but thats the only place I have seen that kind of reaction to him. He's respected in Dallas even though his history there is much deeper over a much bigger swath of time.

People everywhere but Boston and Minnesota hate fake tough Garnett. Some old time Celtics fans dislike him too.

maven
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
LeBarn James is a whiny choker, Wade is always getting wheeled off the court with some minor injury, and Chris Bosh is fake tough...so the Knicks dont have a whole lot to worry about with that bunch of wusses. Not that Stoudemire isnt fake tough too. Anthony's also a crybaby.

They can all fake injuries and have a good cry together.

?

montrose
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Nuggets will NOT move Gallo/Mozgov to NJ. "We got these guys to play for the Nuggets," GM Masai Ujiri says. Updated story soon on NBA.com.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Ginobili is a giant killer. James is the giant that always gets killed.

LOL. Fail.

maven
02-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Nuggets will NOT move Gallo/Mozgov to NJ. "We got these guys to play for the Nuggets," GM Masai Ujiri says. Updated story soon on NBA.com.

Denver should keep them. They're young and cheap. What more could you ask for.

RhymesayersDU
02-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Awesome news.

bombay
02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Please.

Assume she has the same dispassionate interest and level of accuracy that she exhibits when discussing other topics. And please don't quote it. There's a reason she's been permanantly dubbed the Drama Llama.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Awesome news.

goddamnit....if I have to watch this same roster for the rest of the season, well, I won't be watching the rest of the season

montrose
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Houston wants Nene bad but sources say Denver unlikely to trade Nene or JR Smith before deadline.

Missouribronc
02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Regardless of who's on the team, there are no leaders. This team could be a real mess.

epicSocialism4tw
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Fail.

Ginobili has been the #2 player in a dynasty.

James? He has a puppet on a nike commercial.

James is super talented, but he has like two functioning neurons in that box-shaped head of his.

vancejohnson82
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Regardless of who's on the team, there are no leaders. This team could be a real mess.

Felton has actually done a good job at leading the KNicks (or at least controlling their anarchic offense)

Man-Goblin
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Stuart Scott can seriously go **** himself. Chauncey was and is a great player. He deserves more respect than to be laughed at as a throw in.

Missouribronc
Ginobili has been the #2 player in a dynasty.

James? He has a puppet on a nike commercial.

James is super talented, but he has like two functioning neurons in that box-shaped head of his.

lol.

Missouribronc
Stuart Scott can seriously go **** himself. Chauncey was and is a great player. He deserves more respect than to be laughed at as a throw in.

Oh, lord, have a sense of humor. I thought it was actually kind of funny, and I'm a huge Nuggets fan.