PDA

View Full Version : Chicago stuffed pizza in denver????

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
My roomate and I have been watching this damn pizza show on the history channel, and we're hungry to the point now where pizza for lunch tomorrow will be the only satisfactory solution for our cravings.

The deal is, it HAS to be Chicago stuffed.

From what I could see (although after a while I think the tear ducts that keep my eyes moist directed all remaining fluids to my taste buds, in essence blinding me), a legit stuffed chicago style pie is the best pie on earth.

Apparently, beniamino's was the closest choice here in town, but it's no longer in business.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD someone point me in another, similar direction. Does anyone in this city make an Authentic Chicago Stuffed pizza????

my stomach sends it's thanks in advance

IHaveALight
02-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Jimano's has Chicago style stuffed pizza. Never tried the stuffed, but I wasn't too impressed with the pizza I did have. Not sure if this is truly authentic Chicago style either.

Blart
02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm in Chicago right now and nobody can agree on the best pizza, but here are the common answers: Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's, Uno's/Due's.

As for stuffed, the most common favorite is the originator: Giordano's. Lucky for you, they FedEx:
http://www.giordanos.com/shop/

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm in Chicago right now and nobody can agree on the best pizza, but here are the common answers: Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's, Uno's/Due's.

As for stuffed, the most common favorite is the originator: Giordano's. Lucky for you, they FedEx:

Ya My favorite is lou malnattis then giordanos, my moms is Ginos east

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

I actually saw that on the show last night...TEMPTING. But I'm looking for something local here in Denver cooked hot and fresh by someone that knows what they're doing. Someday, I might get one shipped!

RhymesayersDU
02-18-2011, 09:20 AM
The shipped ones are OK but nothing special, way better in person. I've had work stuff in Chicago the past 2 summers.

Kaylore
02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
They should call Chicago pizza casserole.

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 09:50 AM
They should call Chicago pizza casserole.

http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/09-wd0709-chicago-style-stuffed-pizza/661331-1-eng-US/09-wd0709-Chicago-Style-Stuffed-Pizza.jpg

om nom nom nom

strafen
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Old Chicago in Boulder makes the best stuffed pizza.
I've worked there while going to school...

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Old C's is decent, but NOT authentic, from what I've seen and tasted.

Anybody, anybody? Bueller?

Legit stuffed chicago style pizza here in denver?

broncosteven
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM

I like Gino's East the best, great cornmeal crust, fresh meats and veggies, they have it down.

I thought Gino's would ship pies also.

Malnatti's is too inconsistent for me, sometimes you get a great pie other times it is teh suck.

Giordano's is OK, I prefer there thin crusts to their Deep Dish. I used to eat their personal pan pizza's for lunch when I worked near one but liked it when we had the thin crusts delivered.

Uno sucks, the original Uno on Ontario is good but the chains suck.

We had an Eduardo's 2 miles from the house and they had great pies but I think they went out of business, they closed our resturant years ago.

bombay
02-18-2011, 12:44 PM
There is no legitimate Chicago deep dish here. Josephina's had a great one, but unfortunately they're gone.

broncocalijohn
02-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Ask our Front office in Denver. Z (Xanders) knows all the hot spots.

broncosteven
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
As a side note, you guys need to learn how to make a real Chicago Hot dog out there. I had one at Coor's and the bun wasn't right, the toppings sucked, and I don't remember if there was Celery Salt on it or not.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Old Chicago in Boulder makes the best stuffed pizza.
I've worked there while going to school...

I was also going to say Old Chicago, but I didndt know they had stuffed Pizza. I just like their regular chicago deep dish there.

There is an old chicago downtown too.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
As a side note, you guys need to learn how to make a real Chicago Hot dog out there. I had one at Coor's and the bun wasn't right, the toppings sucked, and I don't remember if there was Celery Salt on it or not.

There is no city that makes chicago hot dogs as good as Chicago. They try to here in STL, but dont even come close to the ones in Chicago.

So I would give up on Denver trying to learn a Chicago hot dog, just leave it to Chicago to do that.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Old C's is decent, but NOT authentic, from what I've seen and tasted.

Anybody, anybody? Bueller?

Legit stuffed chicago style pizza here in denver?

there is nothing really authentic unless it comes from the place that it originated. So I would give up trying to find Authentic chicago pizza in denver, because the only real authentic pizza comes from chicago.

bombay
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Actually, the girl who has the Vienna dog stand at 19th and Blake during baseball season sells the real deal. Vienna dog, nuclear relish, poppy seed bun, celery salt, sport peppers, etc. Buys it all from Vienna on Alston in Chicago.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Actually, the girl who has the Vienna dog stand at 19th and Blake during baseball season sells the real deal. Vienna dog, nuclear relish, poppy seed bun, celery salt, sport peppers, etc. Buys it all from Vienna on Alston in Chicago.

good to know

bombay
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
good to know

She flies the red and yellow Vienna umbrella over the stand so she's easy to recognize. Usually on the SE corner, but one summer they made her go to the NE corner. Forgot to mention the cucumber spear.

Pretty good looking blonde named Georgia.

serious hops
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Anybody know where I can get an authentic Denver omlette and green chili in Chicago?

Come on people!

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
there is nothing really authentic unless it comes from the place that it originated. So I would give up trying to find Authentic chicago pizza in denver, because the only real authentic pizza comes from chicago.

I disagree...the idea for a Chicago stuffed pie came from the mother of the two brothers in Italy. They brought that technique here. It's not uncommon to have an "authentic" style restaurant in a location other than its origin. In fact, the place I was HOPING to go ( it has since closed down, unfortunately for me) here in town, beniaminos, was run by a guy FROM Chicago with 50 year old pans used FROM Chicago, and regarded by Chicago transplants as authentic stuffed pie.

enjolras
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Jimanos on South Broadway is pretty good. Definitely what you're looking for.

enjolras
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM

I can get very "authentic" Italian-style pizza in two locations here in Denver. If we can import that, I don't see why Chicago style pizza would be any more difficult.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I can get very "authentic" Italian-style pizza in two locations here in Denver. If we can import that, I don't see why Chicago style pizza would be any more difficult.

Yes I am sure its very authentic italian pizza, but if you want 100% authentic Italian pizza, you will need to go to italy.

There is a restuarant here in STL that is the same owner and name as one in Chicago. The guy in chicago just wanted more business, so he opened the same exact restaurant here in St louis. He claims its the exact same ingredients and recipe, and I have had pizzas at both restaurants in Chicago and St louis, and the one in Chicago is a million times better despite having same recipe.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I disagree...the idea for a Chicago stuffed pie came from the mother of the two brothers in Italy. They brought that technique here. It's not uncommon to have an "authentic" style restaurant in a location other than its origin. In fact, the place I was HOPING to go ( it has since closed down, unfortunately for me) here in town, beniaminos, was run by a guy FROM Chicago with 50 year old pans used FROM Chicago, and regarded by Chicago transplants as authentic stuffed pie.

yes, there are authentic places in other citys all around, And a lot of them are 99% authentic, especially if they use the same ingredients and recipe, but none of them are 100% authentic.

Irish Stout
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't know about stuffed pizza, but Wyman's on 13th (uptown area I think) has a pretty decent Chicago style deep dish. I have never been, but hear I Nicolos, also on 13th, around Downing, has chicago style stuffed pizzas. Let me know if you try it out.

enjolras
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes I am sure its very authentic italian pizza, but if you want 100% authentic Italian pizza, you will need to go to italy.

There is a restuarant here in STL that is the same owner and name as one in Chicago. The guy in chicago just wanted more business, so he opened the same exact restaurant here in St louis. He claims its the exact same ingredients and recipe, and I have had pizzas at both restaurants in Chicago and St louis, and the one in Chicago is a million times better despite having same recipe.

No.. I go down the street to Parisi. It's really rather awesome. I get to relive the time I spent living in Italy any time I step foot in that place. It's really a remarkable trattoria in its own right.

Irish Stout
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
No.. I go down the street to Parisi. It's really rather awesome. I get to relive the time I spent living in Italy any time I step foot in that place. It's really a remarkable trattoria in its own right.

Parisi is fantastic! The pizzas are also very good, but the concept of the whole place is great. I live between Tennyson and Federal and love the great restaurants and shops off Tenn and 38th and Lowell and 32nd. There is definitely a European vibe in some of those areas, at least it reminds me of when I lived in Spain.

For pizza though in that area, I argue that Ernies off 44th and Federal is the best, thogh the last pizza I ate there was only good and not great.

There are so many good pizza joints in Denver, it is hard to know where to go for the best pie. However, most are not doing Deep Dish.

I remember growing up and thinking Beau Jos deep dish was fantastic, but I haven't had one of their Mountain Pies in about 9 years. Anyone been lately?

THE719!
02-18-2011, 02:52 PM
you guys are totally forgetting new york style pizza man.... its New york vs. Chicago for the best pizza and hot dogs

Cmac821
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I went to a Beau Jos up in Fort Collins over christmas and it was pretty damn good

enjolras
02-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Italian style pizza (poorly named 'Neapolitan' here for some reason) is far superior to that crispy New York crap:) Give me ultra thin and chewy any day...

In Denver both Parisi (on the lower end) and Marcos Coal Fired Pizza (on the higher end) do a great job.

enjolras
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Parisi is fantastic! The pizzas are also very good, but the concept of the whole place is great. I live between Tennyson and Federal and love the great restaurants and shops off Tenn and 38th and Lowell and 32nd. There is definitely a European vibe in some of those areas, at least it reminds me of when I lived in Spain.

I live just a few blocks away (just off of Tennyson on 33rd) and I love it. Tennyson really has some nice stuff going on.... couldn't be happier with my living situation really:)

For pizza though in that area, I argue that Ernies off 44th and Federal is the best, thogh the last pizza I ate there was only good and not great.

Ernies is just ok to me. I lived in Italy for several years so I freely admit that I'm chasing the nostalgia of that experience. That's why I love Parisi so damn much. Their pizza is SPOT ON to what you'll find in a small town Pizzeria or Trattoria. Their pastas are really authentically done as well.

Hops and Pie on Tennyson is doing some really good stuff for more American style pizza too... they've become something of a sunday thing for me. Order a pizza and have a beer while I wait, love it:)

I remember growing up and thinking Beau Jos deep dish was fantastic, but I haven't had one of their Mountain Pies in about 9 years. Anyone been lately?

My family killed Beau Jo's for me. We were up in Idaho Springs once and they ordered the all-meat one. It came out on a cardboard serving thingie that they put on the little pizza stand. In about 3 or 4 minutes the grease had literally eaten through the cardboard.... it was just disgusting.

I can't go back now.

Blart
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Anybody know where I can get an authentic Denver omlette and green chili in Chicago?

Come on people!

It's so hard to find green chili anywhere in the midwest! These folks run from anything spicy.

Mogulseeker
02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Isn't Beau Jos "Rocky Mountain" style pizza technically Chicago-style?

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
yes, there are authentic places in other citys all around, And a lot of them are 99% authentic, especially if they use the same ingredients and recipe, but none of them are 100% authentic.
I guess I don't understand the 1% difference.

If the owner of Uno's (I think that's the name, one of the original chicago deep dish places) decided one day to move to colorado, and open an Uno's here...He brings the pans from the original, ships in the same ingredients, cooks everything the same way, then I would consider that the same thing.

I read your other comment about the St louis restaurant, but that isn't necessarily true for EVERY business that opens more than one store. It could've just been an exception.

If you're statement were correct, ANY american pizza can't be considered "authentic", be it new york, italian, or chicagoan, because the pizza idea (using tomatoes for the sauce) originated in italy.

We just have differing opinions on this one (which is fine, I still ♥ pizza), and if there ARE any restaurants here in Denver that can be %99 authentic, I would be completely satisfied with their cuisine.

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Jimanos on South Broadway is pretty good. Definitely what you're looking for.

You're the second one to recommend this one, so I'm givin it a shot! I'll report back.

@ Irish - Used to live right down the street from Wymans and Nicolo's. Both pretty damn tasty! never tried nicolos stuffed though, so I can't tell ya. I've HEARD that it doesn't really stack up to the real stuff, though.

As far as the Chi town eateries go, I'd be curious to see what the experts here think of Chicago Mike's over off of I 25 and arapahoe? As I've said, never been to chicago, so I can't accurately compare...BUT his italian beef sandwiches were off the chain, best I've ever eaten. Only had a dog once there, but it was pretty damn delicious. Vienna beef. The pizza there (isn't deep dish) is top notch, and mainly what I go there for; I'm wondering how well it stacks up in the eyes of people who've had the original?

Garcia Bronco
02-18-2011, 05:05 PM
LOL..Chicago didn't invent that.

JCMElway
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Beau Jo's. Do it. Grew up on that stuff.

http://www.beaujos.com/menu.html

Mogulseeker
02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I see someone already commented on Beau Jos, and then me... than another.

I'd say its a good bet.

nickademus
02-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Come on people!

Green chili is not a Denver speciality you need to go south for that. Try any of the resturants in Las Cruces, NM if you want real green chili.

Boobs McGee
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I see someone already commented on Beau Jos, and then me... than another.

I'd say its a good bet.

I do like beau jos, didn't know they had a stuffed!

Ive actually been on a mellow mushroom kick lately...delicious stuff

SoCalBronco
02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Xanders, is this true?

IHaveALight
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
You're the second one to recommend this one, so I'm givin it a shot! I'll report back.

@ Irish - Used to live right down the street from Wymans and Nicolo's. Both pretty damn tasty! never tried nicolos stuffed though, so I can't tell ya. I've HEARD that it doesn't really stack up to the real stuff, though.

As far as the Chi town eateries go, I'd be curious to see what the experts here think of Chicago Mike's over off of I 25 and arapahoe? As I've said, never been to chicago, so I can't accurately compare...BUT his italian beef sandwiches were off the chain, best I've ever eaten. Only had a dog once there, but it was pretty damn delicious. Vienna beef. The pizza there (isn't deep dish) is top notch, and mainly what I go there for; I'm wondering how well it stacks up in the eyes of people who've had the original?

Even though I wasn't crazy about the pizza, Jimano's does have a killer Combo sandwich (italian beef and sausage).

The owners are Chicago boys.

Boobs McGee
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
So, got to head over there yesterday (Jimano's)...and was pretty happy with the results!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5458737027_98e0167927_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5458739833_e902e7e2e7_z.jpg

Ordered their supreme 14", and it was pretty damn tasty. The crust was buttery, flaky, DELICIOUS, almost sweet. Toppings were fresh, the italian sausage was extremely flavorful, and the cheese was everywhere. I mean, TONS of cheese!! The sauce tasted very original but not in an overpowering tomato kind of way, it was just right. It was all cooked very nicely, no raw areas, nothing undercooked.

Overall, I would give that pie 2 thumbs up. It was monstrous....I could only finish two pieces before being absolutely stuffed. And that was only the 14"!! Everything tasted like I was hoping it would, and I'll definitely be back to try more.

Again, I haven't had original chicago stuffed crust from that area, but this pizza was top notch, and if it's ANYTHING like the original, then I'm a happy man.

bombay
02-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Yes, Mike's is the real deal. Gets his Giardinara (sp?) and beef from Vienna for his Italian beefs, serves it wet if you want, no different than you'd get in the city. His dogs, too, but you have to beg or pay to get enough relish. There's another place just called Chicago on West Colfax that's the same. Then there's the girl at 19th and Blake during baseball season, but she doesn't do Italian beef, just dogs.

Boobs McGee
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes, Mike's is the real deal. Gets his Giardinara (sp?) and beef from Vienna for his Italian beefs, serves it wet if you want, no different than you'd get in the city. His dogs, too, but you have to beg or pay to get enough relish. There's another place just called Chicago on West Colfax that's the same. Then there's the girl at 19th and Blake during baseball season, but she doesn't do Italian beef, just dogs.

Nice! I was hoping he was authentic. That italian beef is SO DAMN GOOD!!!

I'm seriously thinking about taking a food trip one of these years as a vacation.

bombay
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
It won't let me copy and paste, but anytime you see this sign (click on)

http://www.viennabeef.com/

you're getting the same product you'd get in Chicago.

Boobs McGee
02-20-2011, 12:31 PM
It won't let me copy and paste, but anytime you see this sign (click on)

http://www.viennabeef.com/

you're getting the same product you'd get in Chicago.

a-HA! Good stuff, I'll keep my eyes peeled! There's a place called Mustard's last stand over by DU, I think I saw that sign there....I'll check it out. Good to know mang

bombay
02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
a-HA! Good stuff, I'll keep my eyes peeled! There's a place called Mustard's last stand over by DU, I think I saw that sign there....I'll check it out. Good to know mang

They sell Chicago dogs, but you have to keep an eye on them. Guy tried to put kraut on my dog! When I shut him down on that, he tried to tell me that they do that in some parts of the city! Liar! The real dog is served with nuclear relish, plain yellow mustard, tomato slices, celery salt, poppy seed bun, cucumber spear, sport peppers, and onion. That's it. They'll shoot you on the spot if you try to put ketchup on it.

PS: they don't use the real relish at Mustard's Last Stand either.

OABB
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Bronconia, do you have life insurance? just curious.

bombay
02-20-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.mhvs.biz/Location.html

There's this one, too. Two locations.

gunns
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
My roomate and I have been watching this damn pizza show on the history channel, and we're hungry to the point now where pizza for lunch tomorrow will be the only satisfactory solution for our cravings.

The deal is, it HAS to be Chicago stuffed.

From what I could see (although after a while I think the tear ducts that keep my eyes moist directed all remaining fluids to my taste buds, in essence blinding me), a legit stuffed chicago style pie is the best pie on earth.

Apparently, beniamino's was the closest choice here in town, but it's no longer in business.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD someone point me in another, similar direction. Does anyone in this city make an Authentic Chicago Stuffed pizza????

my stomach sends it's thanks in advance

Sounds like somebody smoked a fatty.

SOB, now I want a damn pizza!

Blart
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
That pizza looks great, I think we can label this thread as mission accomplished

Boobs McGee
02-20-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/images/1030-02.jpg

haha but seriously, mission accomplished ;D

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Bombay, good to know, I don't know if I've EVER eaten a dog without ketchup...apparently I've been doing it wrong this entire time

Gunns, no smoke for me anymore, but I'd definitely recommend it before heading down to eat one of those pies

O&BB'd, no life insurance, just an iron stomach and arteries that are uncloggable. Just call my cholesterol Molly Brown ;D

Peoples Champ
02-21-2011, 10:26 AM
I guess I don't understand the 1% difference.

If the owner of Uno's (I think that's the name, one of the original chicago deep dish places) decided one day to move to colorado, and open an Uno's here...He brings the pans from the original, ships in the same ingredients, cooks everything the same way, then I would consider that the same thing.

I read your other comment about the St louis restaurant, but that isn't necessarily true for EVERY business that opens more than one store. It could've just been an exception.

If you're statement were correct, ANY american pizza can't be considered "authentic", be it new york, italian, or chicagoan, because the pizza idea (using tomatoes for the sauce) originated in italy.

We just have differing opinions on this one (which is fine, I still ♥ pizza), and if there ARE any restaurants here in Denver that can be %99 authentic, I would be completely satisfied with their cuisine.

I agree with being satisfied with 99% authentic, I would be too. The 1% is the "it" factor like in football, it cannot be explained, There is something about being in the original place. Like When in rome.

I guess I just get mad when people from New York and Chicago come to other cities like Denver and St louis and say your pizza sucks here, even though we have "chicago" style and "new york" style places. I am like no crap, your from Chicago or new york, of course its better there.