PDA

View Full Version : League, union agree to federal mediation

bronclvr
02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on February 17, 2011, 3:56 PM EST
Last March, Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal first raised the possibility of federal mediation as a solution for the current labor mess.

“We have no plans for mediation,” NFL spokesman Greg Aielli told Mullen at the time, “and we are a long way from having to even consider it. The goal is for our negotiations to be successful before reaching that point.”

And they’ve now reached that point.

more here:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/league-union-agree-to-federal-mediation/related

FireFly
02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Whatever it takes

titan
02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
AdamSchefter 2:18pm via ÜberTwitter

Don't mean to be wet blanket, but here's what someone in know said about Fed Mediator stepping in to help NFL/NFLPA: "Likely won't help."

srphoenix
02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
too bad it's non binding, meaning if someone disagrees with the mediators ruling were right back to square one

Chris
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
too bad it's non binding, meaning if someone disagrees with the mediators ruling were right back to square one

At least it adds pressure. I wonder how much the NFL / NFLPA spend on lobbying.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Give me scrub ball!

HAT
02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Give me scrub ball!

http://tinyurl.com/65kcl6z

Play2win
02-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Would actually like a holdout for a year. Both sides feel the pain, the press eats it (them) up, and the internet totally destroys them for a year.

Maybe then, there would be a re-adjustment or balancing out of things. A little de-construction before contruction might be best for all parties: owners, players (like they deserve it), and the fans.

yerner
02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Would actually like a holdout for a year. Both sides feel the pain, the press eats it (them) up, and the internet totally destroys them for a year.

Maybe then, there would be a re-adjustment or balancing out of things. A little de-construction before contruction might be best for all parties: owners, players (like they deserve it), and the fans.

false

BigPlayShay
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Source: Union and league agree to seven straight days of negotiations

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/source-union-and-league-agree-to-seven-straight-days-of-negotiations/

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday was a positive one for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

It’s only a small start, but it’s something.

schaaf
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/source-union-and-league-agree-to-seven-straight-days-of-negotiations/

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday was a positive one for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

Damn. I hope it gets done. This couldn't have come at a worse time for the broncos.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM

THIS is not a SMALL start...this is big

Killericon
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Damn. I hope it gets done. This couldn't have come at a worse time for the broncos.

Are you kidding me? We are probably the team that would benefit most from a lockout(Not that I am advocating a lockout). Just like with the NHL lockout, the teams that would benefit most from a lockout are the worst teams. The best teams are the ones who will suffer.

Gives us more time to distance the new regime from the McDaniels era, gives them more time to implement their system and their philosophy...

And, if there a full year's lockout, we get 2 #2 overall picks.

OrangenBlueOhio
02-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Sorry yerner I have to agree with this 100%. And like killer icon points out it's not like we would be missin much.

mkporter
02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Are you kidding me? We are probably the team that would benefit most from a lockout(Not that I am advocating a lockout). Just like with the NHL lockout, the teams that would benefit most from a lockout are the worst teams. The best teams are the ones who will suffer.

Gives us more time to distance the new regime from the McDaniels era, gives them more time to implement their system and their philosophy...

Except that the team can't get together at all to learn the new systems and philosophy. Maybe doesn't matter if we lost the whole year, but it could really start to hurt us if the lockout gets resolved in September for instance. Experienced teams where everyone already knows what they are doing will greatly benefit.

Jetmeck
02-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Who says we would get back to back #2 picks ?

boltaneer
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Actually, you need to hope that they get a new CBA ASAP. The longer this drags on, the tougher it is going to be for teams with new head coaches/coordinators/quarterbacks to implement everything because there's no way to hold practices, team meetings, etc.

IF it drags on to (early) 2012 then teams will have a full off season to prepare just like in a normal year. There's no added time or advantage there.

Houshyamama
02-17-2011, 05:37 PM

I really don't think we would get 2 #2 picks.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
7 straight days of talks, what the hell does that mean? Who cares about the time spent talking, it's about how constructive the talks actually are.

IMHO, it just makes it worse if both sides are around each other for 7 straight days but aren't making any progress. Its like being stuck in a room with someone you can't stand for 7 straight days (lets say your ex spouse), it's gonna get heated, a lot of crap is gonna get thrown around, but nothing is going to come of it.

boltaneer
02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
The owners want the players and the union to sweat it out. This doesn't get resolved until the season is almost here IMO.

FireFly
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM

It's not a fact. But it makes the most sense - to me at least.

Silver lining :thumbsup:

FireFly
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
The owners want the players and the union to sweat it out. This doesn't get resolved until the season is almost here IMO.

This is probably true.

The last deal and the subsequent FC hurt the owners more than it hurt the players. They won't be giving much ground this time around imo.

schaaf
02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
If they do meet for seven days and still don't get a deal done they have some real hard headed people running this thing.

Garcia Bronco
02-17-2011, 08:34 PM
As is, if there is no season, the draft order stays the same. But with a new CBA that could change.

Houshyamama
02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Does anyone here know what would happen with the draft order if the season is locked out?

I have seen it discussed elsewhere and no one seems to know.

eddie mac I'm looking at you!

baja
02-17-2011, 08:38 PM
I really don't think we would get 2 #2 picks.

No we'd get a 2 and a #1 because they will flip the picks in 2012, it's the only fair way to do it. IE 1 and 2 would flip / 3 & 4 would flip / 5 & 6 would flip ETC.

Cito Pelon
02-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Good news. They need someone to ride herd on them, give them some structure.

Kaylore
02-18-2011, 09:18 AM

I agree. As I've said in other threads the Owners would prefer it go to a lockout because they know they can outlast the players. The thing is, the union has to know this too and perhaps they will give in on some things much earlier in order to avoid that situation. I'm sure they're not going to love having to dig into their coffers to cover the players during the lockout...

sutoazul
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
The Broncos will be one of the teams must affected if nothing gets done before the draft. We are in full rebuilding mode: we need draft picks and a few free agents, plus with a new system coming in we need to move some players via trades. We can't do any of that without the CBA in place.
For example say we feel like we could trade back in the first round we could package Orton or other players for a 1st and 2 2nd etc. We need all the options we can get and we need a deal ASAP.

chrisp
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree. As I've said in other threads the Owners would prefer it go to a lockout because they know they can outlast the players. The thing is, the union has to know this too and perhaps they will give in on some things much earlier in order to avoid that situation. I'm sure they're not going to love having to dig into their coffers to cover the players during the lockout...

I recently became convinced that the owners actually wanted to force a lockout for the reasons you state. However, this mediation, whilst it may just be an advanced form of posturing does offer a ray of hope that both sides actually would prefer to do a deal.

Can't help but feel that if this doesn't get sorted soon it hurts us more - we're in a rebuilding mode so we need a full offeason. All this talk of another #2 or #1 pick next year only becomes relevant if we lose the whole season and that hasn't ever happened despite two previous strikes.....

Cito Pelon
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
The sides met for six hours on Friday, which is probably more than the total hours since last November, and are at it again today. Also some new faces and voices are being brought in at the behest of the arbitrator Cohen no doubt.

They're finally talking instead of the ridiculous he said she said crap that's been going on for two years.

Cito Pelon
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27639333

Maybe some progress, maybe not. Next scheduled mediation session Tuesday, March 1st after a weekend to digest what has been discussed the past 7 days.

2KBack
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I actually think it's a good thing that they've added another day to the meetings, tells me at least some progress is being made and they don't want to lose the positive momentum

Cito Pelon
02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I actually think it's a good thing that they've added another day to the meetings, tells me at least some progress is being made and they don't want to lose the positive momentum

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110225/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_labor

mediator George Cohen said "very strong differences remain on the all-important core issues that separate the parties."

He also said: "At bottom, some progress was made."

Sounds like they have some minimal framework, very minimal. Having "very strong differences" on the big issues doesn't sound hopeful. We'll see how much the owners want to concede after they meet next week.

Seems to me the owners are asking for a lot and will have to make some concessions to get it done.

SoCalBronco
02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Looks like mediation failed.

When asked to characterize the last seven days of negotiations with a federal mediator, Smith declined to answer. He said "thanks" and briskly walked away.

In a text to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, one of the agents in the room, who wished to remain anonymous, wasn't optimistic about the progress of the labor talks.

"Not close on one single issue," said the text, transmitted during the morning session. "This WILL go into september."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6159004

HooptyHoops
02-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Looks like mediation failed.

When asked to characterize the last seven days of negotiations with a federal mediator, Smith declined to answer. He said "thanks" and briskly walked away.

In a text to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, one of the agents in the room, who wished to remain anonymous, wasn't optimistic about the progress of the labor talks.

"Not close on one single issue," said the text, transmitted during the morning session. "This WILL go into september."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6159004

This sucks, as I was hoping to watch these new Broncos! This is really bad news!

gunns
02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
One of the big bones of contention is that the owners originally started out by saying they were losing money. The NFLPA has asked for over a year to see their financial books which the owners have refused to do. And with the huge signings by the Raiders it has brought it to the forefront even more.

"The chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee is urging NFL owners to open their financial books to the players union, arguing that will help resolve a labor dispute.

"Reluctantly, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to sort out this stalemate is for the owners and the league to answer the biggest sticking point: money," Sen. Jay Rockefeller wrote in a Washington Post opinion column on Friday. "What I'd like to see from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners is a simple display of good faith: Show the union your books. Don't keep secrets. If there are financial pressures that keep you from agreeing to the revenue-sharing plan proposed by the players, let's see the proof."

Rockefeller, D-W.Va., suggested that a neutral third party review the financial data, remove anything sensitive and prepare an assessment of the league's finances."

More http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Senator-Jay-Rockefeller-urges-NFL-to-open-its-financial-books-022511/?GT1=39002

Cito Pelon
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, well, the owners have agreed to open up the books - a little.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110309/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_labor;_ylt=AohhsWldZmFacgwl2XltHlgLMxIF;_y lu=X3oDMTJlNG0yaWpnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMzA5L2Zibl9 uZmxfbGFib3IEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3Rvc nkEc2xrA2Fwc291cmNlbmZscw--

WASHINGTON – A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that the NFL offered to turn over five years of profitability data to the players' union — an offer that was rejected.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the mediator overseeing the labor talks has told participants to not discuss details publicly.

According to the person who spoke to the AP, the NFL's proposal to the union included:

_audited league-wide profitability data from 2005-09;

_the number of teams that have seen a shift in profitability in that span;

_an independent auditor to examine the data.

The NFL Players Association has long demanded that the league give it full access to financial data. The union didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
------------------------------------------------------------

At least there is movement from this federal mediation effort, that's a good sign.

These NFL teams are private operations, not public corporations, so opening up the books even a little is a good-faith concession. I think the extension of bargaining expires tomorrow.

Beantown Bronco
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
So much for progress. The NFLPA rejected the financial data as presented by the league, saying it was inadequate (even though it is being described as significantly more info than the league has ever even disclosed to the individual owners.....unreal)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfllabor

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
The two sides also agreed to a roookie wage scale.

****in finally

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I'd still be pretty surprised if this doesnt get done. Though i bet there will be another extension coming.

srphoenix
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
The two sides also agreed to a roookie wage scale.

****in finally

just saw this as well, here's the link at PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/report-agreement-reached-on-rookie-wage-scale/

Glad to see them agree on that, this will greatly affect us as we may more easily trade out of the number 2 slot or we may be willing to take more of a risk at that slot because we won't be as hampered financially by it.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
just saw this as well, here's the link at PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/report-agreement-reached-on-rookie-wage-scale/

Glad to see them agree on that, this will greatly affect us as we may more easily trade out of the number 2 slot or we may be willing to take more of a risk at that slot because we won't be as hampered financially by it.

We knew it was coming, but it's a game changer. No more spending a billion on the first and second round.

baja
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
All of you that post in favor of breaking union's collective bargaining ability in the WPR forum how do you feel about the NFLPA and their collective bargaining rights? Talking to you Garcia among others.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
All of you that post in favor of breaking union's collective bargaining ability in the WPR forum how do you feel about the CPA and their collective bargaining rights? Talking to you Garcia among others.

Im so glad ive personally banned myself from the WPR forum

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
All of you that post in favor of breaking union's collective bargaining ability in the WPR forum how do you feel about the CPA and their collective bargaining rights? Talking to you Garcia among others.

Its a private business and private union, and different from a public union bargaining with taxpayer dollars. If their arrangement offended me so; I can decide not to participate in most cases. I have to pay taxes.

INbronco
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM

If there is a lockout we won't be able to sign this years picks or FAs. Thats why we would get #2 next year.

If the NFLPA decertifies then football goes on as usual and we sign draft picks and FA.

oubronco
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
The players need to realize one important thing in demanding things the owners don't have to do anything they don't want to cause there the OWNERS

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Its a private business and private union, and different from a public union bargaining with taxpayer dollars. If their arrangement offended me so; I can decide not to participate in most cases. I have to pay taxes.

So public workers cant be taken advantage of?

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM

I would imagine my definition of being "taken advantage of" and yours differ in depth and scope. So I am going to need some kind of example.

baja
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Fair has no accounting in Garcia's thinking, it's all about how it effect's him personally.

I think Josh is on to something, narcissism is the root of all evil.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I would imagine my definition of being "taken advantage of" and yours differ in depth and scope. So I am going to need some kind of example.

well why shoudlnt they have collective bargaining rights to help their own interests? Just because taxpayers pay their salary? That doesnt make sense to me.

baja
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM

If he thought it would lower his taxes he'd give all us Meskins the jobs.

gunns
03-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Well gee, where have I been. I had no idea the union I belong to was a public union bargaining with taxpayer dollars. I was always informed that my union was supported totally by our monthly premiums, that we choose to pay to protect us, and damn do we need it. Whoooohoooo, I can stop paying now that I know YOU are paying for it.

Please.

gunns
03-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Oh hell yes they can.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Fair has no accounting in Garcia's thinking, it's all about how it effect's him personally.

I think Josh is on to something, narcissism is the root of all evil.

lol...again you are projecting and have no idea what "fair" means

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
well why shoudlnt they have collective bargaining rights to help their own interests? Just because taxpayers pay their salary? That doesnt make sense to me.

Of course it doesn't make sense to you. Or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

baja
03-09-2011, 07:42 PM
lol...again you are projecting and have no idea what "fair" means

LOL than you tell me what does "Fair" means? I'll be waiting for this one....

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Well gee, where have I been. I had no idea the union I belong to was a public union bargaining with taxpayer dollars. I was always informed that my union was supported totally by our monthly premiums, that we choose to pay to protect us, and damn do we need it. Whoooohoooo, I can stop paying now that I know YOU are paying for it.

Please.

I don't pay taxes were you live; unless you work for the feds.

If you don't see the inherent problem with a system that lacks an owner with a profit motive and inturn the taxpayer money that does flow into the system is bargained away by politicians to their supporter... then there is nothing to discuss.

baja
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM

If you don't see the inherent problem with a system that lacks an owner with a profit motive and inturn the taxpayer money that does flow into the system is bargained away by politicians to their supporter... then there is nothing to discuss.

Where are the counter balances to military spending which take a much larger chunk of you tax dollars.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
LOL than you tell me what does "Fair" means? I'll be waiting for this one....

Fair means free from injustice or bias. Which is subjective. Fair is Utopia. Utopia doesn't exist relative to man. Making your statement about me and what I think is "fair" completely pointless.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
If he thought it would lower his taxes he'd give all us Meskins the jobs.

Absolutely, right after you get a work permit, we get your resume, pass the interview process and pass a drug screen. (ut-oh!). We're also going to judge you on performance based on clearly defined metrics. We're gonna meet quarterly and discuss your career goals and objectives. Your yearly raise will be raised upon whether you meet these goals. Sound Good?

Play2win
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
The players need to realize one important thing in demanding things the owners don't have to do anything they don't want to cause there the OWNERS

Exactly. They built this league. (or their fathers did). I am sure there was some ugliness in it, but, bottom-line is they got it done.

I think its pretty ridiculous that they should have to show their financials to anybody, unless court ordered.

Maybe they should strike a deal with the players: they'll show their books as long as the players show theirs-- like how many 10's of thousands they are spending a month to "make it rain"

Kaylore
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
So back to the story this thread is supposed to be about before it turned into an extension of Baja and Garcia's bickering.

This is big news if the league agreed to open up their books for the last five years. Those are the only years that have any kind of value, especially with an independent auditor. I don't see how the union can refuse that since the last two are really what caused this whole break down. If the union really did reject this then they can suck it and I hope the owners rape them in the butthole for twenty years plus. The owners are under no obligation to show them anything in the first place.

baja
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Absolutely, right after you get a work permit, we get your resume, pass the interview process and pass a drug screen. (ut-oh!). We're also going to judge you on performance based on clearly defined metrics. We're gonna meet quarterly and discuss your career goals and objectives. Your yearly raise will be raised upon whether you meet these goals. Sound Good?

I don't see nothin about my siesta in there.

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't see nothin about my siesta in there.

Siesta time is on your time...not "our time" Spicoli

bronclvr
03-10-2011, 09:39 AM
So back to the story this thread is supposed to be about before it turned into an extension of Baja and Garcia's bickering.

This is big news if the league agreed to open up their books for the last five years. Those are the only years that have any kind of value, especially with an independent auditor. I don't see how the union can refuse that since the last two are really what caused this whole break down. If the union really did reject this then they can suck it and I hope the owners rape them in the butthole for twenty years plus. The owners are under no obligation to show them anything in the first place.

Couldn't agree more with this-the thing that bothers me is that now the NFLPA wants the Financials to be audited-so much for trust between the two, and it will take Weeks or Months to have them audited-I think it's a ploy to allow the Union to Sue-

Cito Pelon
03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Agreed.

A little more news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110310/sp_nm/us_nfl_dispute

And:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110310/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_labor

On Wednesday, the NFL Players Association insisted that the owners' willingness to reduce the amount of extra money they want up front — from $1 billion to $800 million — isn't a sufficient drop. And the financial data the league is willing to reveal isn't what the union seeks.

Under the old CBA, owners received an immediate $1 billion for operating expenses before splitting remaining revenues with players. Owners initially sought to double that, and while they have lowered the up-front figure they want, Smith tied that to the full financial transparency he's sought for nearly two years in what is a $9 billion business.

"Just to be absolutely clear, the information that was offered wasn't what we asked for," Smith said, "and, according to our investment bankers and advisers, they told us that information would be utterly meaningless in determining whether to write an $800 million check to the National Football League" in each year of a new CBA.

So - there is some movement, exactly what we want to see. IMO, Smith better back off that "full financial transparency" and "utterly meaningless" baloney. Could be just some final posturing by Smith and the NFLPA.

The owners have shown willingness to bargain, cutting $200 million per year off their initial position, opening the books (which they are not obligated to do). The NFLPA has agreed I guess to a Rookie wage scale.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

bronclvr
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM
So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I would like to think that the "light" is bright, however as I read it, they cannot (or will not?) extend formal negotiations beyond Friday (maybe my misunderstanding?)-if this is true I don't see how this is going to get resolved in that time frame-

Beantown Bronco
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Let's be clear.....so far, this is the league - NOT THE OWNERS - that have opened the financial books. The league confirmed as much yesterday when they responded to the "this is not enough" statements from the players' union. They said the following:

"We've made more information available in the course of this negotiation than has ever been made available in decades of collective bargaining with the NFLPA," Pash said. "Far more information. And we've offered to make even more information (available), including information that we do not disclose to our own clubs."

SonOfLe-loLang
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

When corporations that receieve huge government subsidies stop donating to political organizations, then ill agree that the unions cant support their candidates using taxpayer money.

Cito Pelon
03-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I would like to think that the "light" is bright, however as I read it, they cannot (or will not?) extend formal negotiations beyond Friday (maybe my misunderstanding?)-if this is true I don't see how this is going to get resolved in that time frame-

I imagine a further extension is possible, that's my hope. They're making some progress and that's what I want to see.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I imagine a further extension is possible, that's my hope. They're making some progress and that's what I want to see.

This is what i think will happen. I think both sides realize they'll both be crippled if they let this go to the courts.

Cito Pelon
03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Let's be clear.....so far, this is the league - NOT THE OWNERS - that have opened the financial books. The league confirmed as much yesterday when they responded to the "this is not enough" statements from the players' union. They said the following:

"We've made more information available in the course of this negotiation than has ever been made available in decades of collective bargaining with the NFLPA," Pash said. "Far more information. And we've offered to make even more information (available), including information that we do not disclose to our own clubs."

I don't know what to make of that, but I'll say the the individual owners don't deal with the NFLPA, the League does. So if the League opens financial data to the NFLPA, that's a good-faith bargaining point that the NFLPA has to accept, not reject.

baja
03-10-2011, 10:50 AM
When corporations that receieve huge government subsidies stop donating to political organizations, then ill agree that the unions cant support their candidates using taxpayer money.

Don't confuse him with ideas about fair play

Beantown Bronco
03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
So much for progress......back to "act like children" mode:

WASHINGTON (AP)—The tension and stakes are rising in the NFL labor talks with only a day left before the twice-extended collective bargaining agreement expires.

NFL general counsel and lead negotiator Jeff Pash said Thursday the league is committed to getting a deal done, adding: “I don’t know if both sides have an equal commitment. … Obviously, we have the commitment.”

When those comments were relayed to NFL Players Association spokesman George Atallah, he responded with an e-mail to The Associated Press that said: “Jeff Pash was part of an executive team that sold the networks a $4 billion ticket to a game they knew wouldn’t be played. The only thing they’ve been committed to is a lockout.”

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

I don't think Corporations directly use subsides to elect candidates. They typically use PACs; which are funded with employee donations. And while I don't agree with every subside; I understand the purpose.

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2011, 10:03 PM
So then you have no problem with Planned Parenthood receiveing funding for screenings and other health services, as long as it's not directly used for abortions, right?

No. The spiritual side of me has a problem with what planned parenthood does. The practical side says that it's a service needed the stops some symptons of poverty and crime.

bowtown
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
No. The spiritual side of me has a problem with what planned parenthood does. The practical side says that it's a service needed the stops some symptons of poverty and crime.

Yeah, I deleted my post too, because it was taking things a little too off topic. Fair enough.