PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed Money in the NFL

eddie mac
02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
That's all you ever hear in the NFL anymore, long gone are the days when we heard we'd signed someone, the first thing we looked for was how big the signing bonus was.

But back to the point, does anyone have any idea how guaranteed money works if there is no CBA and subsequently a lockout???

Surely an NFL owner with no money coming in via gate receipts, TV and whatever else still doesn't have to fork out millions to the likes of Elvis Dumervil whilst he's sitting at home???

Surely the guarantee is only in place if a franchise is operating which it would not be under a lockout.

RhymesayersDU
02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Well I'd imagine the signing bonus has already been paid and isn't recoverable.

But as for game checks, etc, I don't think any money will be paid if there's a lockout.

Lev Vyvanse
02-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Well I'd imagine the signing bonus has already been paid and isn't recoverable.

But as for game checks, etc, I don't think any money will be paid if there's a lockout.

This is a great question. He is not talking about signing bonuses or game checkes. Most contracts now come with "if the player is on the team on xx/xx/xxxx he gets paid x,xxx,xxx.xx dollars" I don't think the Broncos are going to argue that the players are no longer on the team. I guess my answer would be "hell if I know".

EDIT: Actually I think he is talking about payments that are due on a certain date whether or not the player is on the team. Still great question.

RhymesayersDU
02-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Oh I totally see what you're saying. No idea, good question.

Kaylore
02-17-2011, 06:14 AM
No one is paid in a lockout. The players don't get anything, including signing bonuses. This in spite of the owners getting TV money.

ColoradoDarin
02-17-2011, 06:58 AM
No one is paid in a lockout. The players don't get anything, including signing bonuses. This in spite of the owners getting TV money.

I've read recently that TV money would have to be paid back for any games not actually played (not saying it's true or not, that I have no idea, but from a contract perspective, the TV lawyers would be stupid for not having this contingency inserted).

BroncoDoug
02-17-2011, 07:41 AM
I've read recently that TV money would have to be paid back for any games not actually played (not saying it's true or not, that I have no idea, but from a contract perspective, the TV lawyers would be stupid for not having this contingency inserted).

yeah this is a big misconception people keep throwing out there.... If there are no NFL games played, the owners have to pay back the TV stations plus interest. It is not in the best interest of anyone to miss any games next year

bronco militia
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
it's like a loan from the TV networks......the owners will have to pay back any lost revenue at the end of the current TV contract.

eddie mac
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM

I thought that was the case Khan, it really is a major ****storm and they need to get it sorted not only for us, but for their families as well.

This also brings me back to the point of why Denver wouldn't supposedly tag Bailey considering he wont get a penny until a new CBA is in place.

So either they know a new deal will be done and dont want to pay $15m plus this season to him or they're not prepared to take the chance of a deal being done soon.

gyldenlove
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
That's all you ever hear in the NFL anymore, long gone are the days when we heard we'd signed someone, the first thing we looked for was how big the signing bonus was.

But back to the point, does anyone have any idea how guaranteed money works if there is no CBA and subsequently a lockout???

Surely an NFL owner with no money coming in via gate receipts, TV and whatever else still doesn't have to fork out millions to the likes of Elvis Dumervil whilst he's sitting at home???

Surely the guarantee is only in place if a franchise is operating which it would not be under a lockout.

Guaranteed money would have to be paid unless the players go on strike or there is a lockout, in either of those cases you won't have to pay anything.

This actually leads to a very interesting question, in the hypothetical situation that the 2011 season is wiped out, would contracts continue in 2012 as though 2011 never happened or would the players get a years credit on their contracts to players entering the last year now would be free agents?

Kaylore
02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Guaranteed money would have to be paid unless the players go on strike or there is a lockout, in either of those cases you won't have to pay anything.

This actually leads to a very interesting question, in the hypothetical situation that the 2011 season is wiped out, would contracts continue in 2012 as though 2011 never happened or would the players get a years credit on their contracts to players entering the last year now would be free agents?

That's what I want to know. They may not have tags at all, either which raises the question of if they will have some kind of grace period before free agency or if it will be some kind of free for all. We'll see, I guess.

cmhargrove
02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Anyone else around here wish they had "guaranteed money?"

bronco militia
02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Anyone else around here wish they had "guaranteed money?"

yeah...and a free healthcare and a free pension. Maybe we should move to wisconsin.

wait

gyldenlove
02-17-2011, 12:43 PM
That's what I want to know. They may not have tags at all, either which raises the question of if they will have some kind of grace period before free agency or if it will be some kind of free for all. We'll see, I guess.

There will almost certainly be a period before free agency starts akin to what we normally have where a team can resign their own players.

One thing that is interesting is that the franchise tag construct clearly violates antitrust legislation if there is no CBA, so if there is no strike and no lockout and no CBA when the old CBA expires and the new league year starts every free agent would hypothetically be available short of the teams colluding to keep the franchise tag in place. I am pretty interested in seeing how this one plays out, until we reach the new league year the franchise tag exists, but once the CBA regulations expire it would be a clearcut case of collusion to respect the franchise tag of another team.