PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Stroud Released By Bills

Smiling Assassin27
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
He's basically a 4-3 Dt playing in Buffalo's 3-4. If the price is right, he might be an Alfred Williams type addition for a rebuilding defense. Sure, he's 10 years in but might work well in a platoon situation.

Bills release Marcus Stroud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills released defensive lineman Marcus Stroud in a move on Wednesday that freed up salary and playing time for the team's young and developing players.

Stroud's departure was not considered a surprise after the 10-year NFL veteran struggled in making the transition in Buffalo's switch to a 3-4 defensive scheme. Stroud was scheduled to make $10 million in base salary over the final two years of his contract, including $4.5 million next season.

Stroud also proved expendable after the Bills selected defensive linemen Torell Troup and Alex Carrington in the second and third rounds of the draft last year. Both are expected to compete for additional playing time next season.

The Bills had no comment aside from announcing Stroud's release.

Stroud is a three-time Pro Bowl selection, who completed his third season in Buffalo after being acquired in a trade with Jacksonville in March 2008.

He showed up to training camp in July leaner in preparing to make the switch from defensive tackle to end in the Bills' new scheme. However, he struggled along with an entire defense that finished 24th in the NFL in yards allowed and last in yards rushing. The Bills finished 4-12 and opened the season losing their first eight games.

Stroud finished last season with 49 tackles and three sacks -- matching the most he had since 2007 -- in 15 games, including 14 starts. In three seasons with Buffalo, he had 7 sacks in 46 games.

Killericon
02-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm all for it. One of him or Rogers, plus a young DT would go miles towards a good defense this year.

NFLBRONCO
02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't see Denver spending money on anyone new unless cba is settled.

bronco militia
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
he'd fit in perfectly with our group of misfit toys...

but hopefully those days are over and the broncos go after quality linemen in the draft and FA.

no thanks

NFLBRONCO
02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
he'd fit in perfectly with our group of misfit toys...

but hopefully those days are over and the broncos go after quality linemen in the draft and FA.

no thanks

FAG

bronco militia
02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
FAG

your'e love for Peterson makes you gayer! Ha!

FireFly
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm all for it. One of him or Rogers, plus a young DT would go miles towards a good defense this year.

I'll take both of them. :strong:

Arkie
02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
He's similar to Chester McGlockton when Denver signed him, on the downside but still productive.

Play2win
02-16-2011, 05:15 PM
He's similar to Chester McGlockton when Denver signed him, on the downside but still productive.

Seems like the last DLinemen we added (FA) that was worth a damn.

Hogan11
02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
If there's any gas left in the tank, Why not?

mkporter
02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Seems like the last DLinemen we added (FA) that was worth a damn.

If you don't count Bannan this year, of course.

oubronco
02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Why not.he's a helluva lot better than what we've got

NFLBRONCO
02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
your'e love for Peterson makes you gayer! Ha!

LOL BM

ColoradoBuff
02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
bring him in! Peterson in the 1st, Luiget with the first 2nd and Allen Bailey with the other 2nd and Quan Sturidivant with our 3rd.

Smiling Assassin27
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Why not.he's a helluva lot better than what we've got

In all fairness, you could bring back Mike Lodish, Darren Drozdov and Tony Lilly with that line of reasoning.

HooptyHoops
02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Bring him in...we need some good(Pro-Bowl) vets to show our top picks the ropes of the NFL!!

fdf
02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
If you don't count Bannan this year, of course.

Or Gerard Warren. Or Ekuban. Both pretty decent. Warren was better than pretty decent until the toe injury.

cmhargrove
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Just a question, since our team has been back and forth trying to rebuild the d-line for so long.

Can anyone remember a dominant NFL D-Tackle that made a switch from 4-3 to 3-4 or vice versa that was still "dominant" after the switch? I'm not talking about college to pros, because the player generally gets some time to be professionally trained and "make the switch." I'm talking about a mid-career switch from one system to the other.

It just seems that a true 3-4 NT is a rare breed, and even "dominant" 4-3 DT's usually can't make the switch. Kris Jenkins was one of the only guys that came to mind as being dominant in either. Can you think of others?

kappys
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Just a question, since our team has been back and forth trying to rebuild the d-line for so long.

Can anyone remember a dominant NFL D-Tackle that made a switch from 4-3 to 3-4 or vice versa that was still "dominant" after the switch? I'm not talking about college to pros, because the player generally gets some time to be professionally trained and "make the switch." I'm talking about a mid-career switch from one system to the other.

It just seems that a true 3-4 NT is a rare breed, and even "dominant" 4-3 DT's usually can't make the switch. Kris Jenkins was one of the only guys that came to mind as being dominant in either. Can you think of others?

I think Pat Williams was pretty good in both roles but I agree with you - very few who are able to make that transition. More commonly a 4-3 DT can play a 3-4 DE and I think there are a few better examples of these.

NFLBRONCO
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Real question here does anyone see Denver signing anyone besides Champ before cba is resolved wouldn't seem like it.

MileHighMagic
02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I took Marcus for a small pot at The Mirage a couple years ago. He's a cool guy. I felt like a small child sitting next to him.

razorwire77
02-17-2011, 01:50 PM
They should definitely take a look at signing him. The Broncos are not a draft pick or two away from being solid defensively, and as we all know, defensive linemen are notorious for being slow to develop. We need to build depth defensively via FA and draft front 7 players with at least two of our three high picks. Then we probably need to draft defense next year too. Looking at our roster, we need athletes at DT, depth at DE, we need a true Mike LB, and someone to compete at Sam LB, we need depth and a starter to replace Dawkins at both safety positions. And if Champ leaves, and Cox goes to jail, we need a starter and nickel depth at RCB and LCB.

TheReverend
02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
A half decade ago, he was the BEST DT in the league. Now, he's very middle of the road. If he comes cheap, sure. If not, pour the money elsewhere.

yerner
02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Is Jamal Williams going to be around? I can't remember his contract.

TheReverend
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Or Gerard Warren. Or Ekuban. Both pretty decent. Warren was better than pretty decent until the toe injury.

Weren't both acquired in trades (along with Myers)? And Courtney was the only Brownco that 05 season that came via FA

razorwire77
02-17-2011, 02:16 PM
The addition of a middle of the road or better DT could be huge as we transition into Fox's defense and groom draft picks. But I agree, we shouldn't break the bank for him.

TheReverend
02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
The addition of a middle of the road or better DT could be huge as we transition into Fox's defense and groom draft picks. But I agree, we shouldn't break the bank for him.

Rogers MUST take priority.

A lineup of:

Elvis
Jamal Williams at the Nose
Rogers back at undertackle
Ayers

Could be extremely successful. Quality depth in the form of Paea/Taylor and Bannan and Thomas will be fantastic.

Add in Peterson, FA SOLB from Carolina, and drafting a MLB that can play in traffic and we're looking at a complete defensive makeover

2KBack
02-17-2011, 02:22 PM

A lineup of:

Elvis
Ayers

Could be extremely successful. Quality depth in the form of Paea/Taylor and Bannan and Thomas will be fantastic.

Add in Peterson, FA SOLB from Carolina, and drafting a MLB that can play in traffic and we're looking at a complete defensive makeover

This is the first post that makes me feel better about the defense. That MLB is key, but it gives me hope

primetime714
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Is Jamal Williams going to be around? I can't remember his contract.

I think he'll likely be a cap casualty, but we'll see what happens. He is under contract so he'll have to be cut.

I'd be surprised if more than one of: Bannan, Williams, and Vickerson was brought back. If I was to guess Bannan is probably the most likely to be back.

TheReverend
02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I think he'll likely be a cap casualty, but we'll see what happens. He is under contract so he'll have to be cut.

I'd be surprised if more than one of: Bannan, Williams, and Vickerson was brought back. If I was to guess Bannan is probably the most likely to be back.

Fox needs big boys. Bannan and Williams should both stay and both can play in his 4-3

Killericon
02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Weren't both acquired in trades (along with Myers)? And Courtney was the only Brownco that 05 season that came via FA

Brown actually wasn't too bad.

mkporter
02-17-2011, 04:59 PM

A lineup of:

Elvis
Ayers

I agree on this. Williams has talked a couple of times how he dropped a bunch of weight to play in Denver. Given that, he may now be better suited to play a 4-3 DT. I think Thomas might just be a pretty darn good 4-3 DT as well. He is much better at penetrating (thats what she said) than he is at holding up double teams.