PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 In

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Saw on the NFLN ticker that the Broncos are switching back to the 4-3.

TheReverend
02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Well duh

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
but I didn't see it anywhere here. Where's the official announcement that the Broncos are switching to a 4-3?

Seems kinda important to understand.

cmhargrove
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Saw on the NFLN ticker that the Broncos are switching back to the 4-3.

The ticker knows all....

FISH
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
but I didn't see it anywhere here. Where's the official announcement that the Broncos are switching to a 4-3?

Seems kinda important to understand.

I did not see an official announcement...thanks for posting this though. Although it was kind of understood that it would happen...this is the first I've seen of anything close to confirmation

cutthemdown
02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I have been saying go back to 4-3 since last yr. We just don't have any good 3-4 front seven run stoppers. The DE too small, the inside LB too small.

Ray Finkle
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
if it is not on wiki, it's crap!

Quoydogs
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
This sucks. I really like how the 3-4 plays out. I understand that we do not have the personal for it right now but that comes with time. I also don't like the Idea for trading doom. Last didn't champ already say he is not interested in playing a new system. So that means he is gone as well.

ColoradoDarin
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
The ticker is wise, the ticker is good.

Abqbronco
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
This sucks. I really like how the 3-4 plays out. I understand that we do not have the personal for it right now but that comes with time. I also don't like the Idea for trading doom. Last didn't champ already say he is not interested in playing a new system. So that means he is gone as well.

Champ plays in a new system every year. How is this any different?

Quoydogs
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Champ plays in a new system every year. How is this any different?

There was a video and he said something to the effect that he is tried of changing what the D does every year. If they changed again he would not be interested in that. It was on the broncos media page shortly after we played out last game.

maher_tyler
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Even if he goes to a new team its a new system...so what makes you so sure he's gone?

Quoydogs
02-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Even if he goes to a new team its a new system...so what makes you so sure he's gone?

I'm not saying it he said it.

I'm not so sure he would not be gone anyways, he wants his ring and he has earned one. I would hate to see him go but if we can't get him one in the next couple years then I wouldn't blame him for trying someone that could get him one.

Chris
02-16-2011, 10:45 AM
What is their source?

Who do you guys think has the best 4-3 in the league? Chicago?

sgbfan
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
When Champ said that, it was after McD was fired. I think he knew there would probably be a change this year. It seemed to me he was saying that after this year he didn't want a change. He understands that no matter what there will be a change this year, whether its on the broncos or not. As long as he is convinced that the Broncos D will be consistent for the next few years then we have a good chance of keeping him.

schaaf
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Xanders said they would be switching to 4-3 a little over a week ago in a radio interview

TheReverend
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
What is their source?

Who do you guys think has the best 4-3 in the league? Chicago?

Eagles, Saints, Bears and Vikings all have some really good 4-3 units.

LRtagger
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
And Giants...at least their front is good anyways

HAT
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm not saying it he said it.

I'm not so sure he would not be gone anyways, he wants his ring and he has earned one. I would hate to see him go but if we can't get him one in the next couple years then I wouldn't blame him for trying someone that could get him one.

???

If that was the case....He'd have one.

Quoydogs
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
???

If that was the case....He'd have one.

Really ? Did you just say that ? Yep it was his fault that we did not make the playoffs. ROFL!

Champagne Powder
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Spray down all the filth that was left over from the McDickless' regime.

This is the DENVER BRONCOS, not the New England Patriots.

UberBroncoMan
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Best D's in the league are primarily 3-4. Sucks we couldn't get it to work. Always wanted to see a Balt/Pitt type D here.

Archer81
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM

No kidding?

:Broncos:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Thank. You

2KBack
02-16-2011, 12:45 PM

the 3-4 is VERY Denver Broncos

Champagne Powder
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
the 3-4 is VERY Denver Broncos

It is (Bill Belichick learned under Joe Collier in 1978), but McDickless' version of it was a disgrace to the Orange Crush.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
It is (Bill Belichick learned under Joe Collier in 1978), but McDickless' version of it was a disgrace to the Orange Crush.

Last year it wasnt bad at all. Revisionist history sure is nice though.

Champagne Powder
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Last year it wasnt bad at all. Revisionist history sure is nice though.

Thanks to Nolan. 32 of 32 when McDickless had his hands on itLOL

Archer81
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

For the sake of historical accuracy...who hired Nolan in the first place?

For the sake of the Mane...let it go. Its done with.

Jaysus.

Ray Finkle
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
For the sake of historical accuracy...who hired Nolan in the first place?

For the sake of the Mane...let it go. Its done with.

Jaysus.

Great, now you're bringing Cutler into this..... :D

Bahshay
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Not that I like McDaniels, but I'd say the injuries to damn near every remotely user player we have on defense had more to do with it than McDaniels did.

Archer81
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Great, now you're bringing Cutler into this..... :D

Oh No...Hilarious!

OABB
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Dj to will?

SoCalBronco
02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Dj to will?

Definitely.....unless they trade him, which would be beyond stupid, but I'm not putting it past them since stupidity is our MO.

StugotsIII
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Oh good, that means the Broncos can switch back in two years after Fox is fired....

eddie mac
02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Definitely.....unless they trade him, which would be beyond stupid, but I'm not putting it past them since stupidity is our MO.

It's been talked about considering he's on the hook for a suspension this season.

eddie mac
02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
We won 2 superbowls with a 4-3 defense so it suits me just fine and maybe, just maybe we may see the true Robert Ayers this year. I wonder will they consider re-signing Marcus Thomas as well now considering he's a far better fit for UT???

SoCalBronco
02-16-2011, 08:37 PM
It's been talked about considering he's on the hook for a suspension this season.

He's likely to get a 2 game suspension based on the precedent. That's not sufficient justification to trade him, given that he's an elite WLB with 3 more years left on his deal and given that outside of his alcohol issues he's always been a team player, a guy that helps the young kids and comes in on his off days to work. What he needs is counseling and treatment and needs to be constantly be made aware of pick up/drop off resources and information. Getting rid of him to score some cheap PR points is not how you treat a loyal team guy who has a problem. It's gutless and also hypocritical. We'll see if we're still a stupid team or not. I'm interested to see just how dumb we can be.

Taco John
02-16-2011, 08:41 PM
We made the wishy-washiest switch to the 3-4 probably in the history of the game. You don't switch to the 3-4 and then rebuild your offense and secondary, while merely staffing the core of the defense. This switch back is an obvious move that has to be made for the sake of the team. We're hanging good players out to dry on both sides of the ball if we were to stay in a defense that we're nowhere close to staffing.

Taco John
02-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh good, that means the Broncos can switch back in two years after Fox is fired....

I wouldn't count on seeing a 3-4 in Denver for a very long time.

broncosteven
02-16-2011, 08:47 PM
We made the wishy-washiest switch to the 3-4 probably in the history of the game. You don't switch to the 3-4 and then rebuild your offense and secondary, while merely staffing the core of the defense. This switch back is an obvious move that has to be made for the sake of the team. We're hanging good players out to dry on both sides of the ball if we were to stay in a defense that we're nowhere close to staffing.

Yep

One of the many things I disliked about mCd was that he tried to put round pegs into square holes.

He tired to make his players adjust to his system rather than get the most of their natural ability.

I am glad he is gone and we have an HC with HC experience, the fact that he took a team to the SB with a QB named Jake who was just as big a liability as our old QB named Jake say's a lot.

I don't like Doom as an everydown 4-3 end especially coming off injury but I still hope we get the best DL available in the draft and work from the trenches out.

theAPAOps5
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM

I know right almost as wishy washy as the old regime with Defensive Coordinators. There was never a commitment to defense. Glad they finally went with a Defensive coach since the last two cares less about it.

schaaf
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Hopefully, I think Marcus Thomas did good this last year and will just keep getting better

Taco John
02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't like Doom as an everydown 4-3 end especially coming off injury but I still hope we get the best DL available in the draft and work from the trenches out.

Even in the 3-4, Doom was a liability against the run. If you look at his stats, you can see that he was most effective on first a third downs. I don't think that will change at all with this switch.

For my part, I'm hoping we can grab Fairley and pair him up with Dumervil to make the new age Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas.

broncosteven
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Even in the 3-4, Doom was a liability against the run. If you look at his stats, you can see that he was most effective on first a third downs. I don't think that will change at all with this switch.

For my part, I'm hoping we can grab Fairley and pair him up with Dumervil to make the new age Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas.

Doom at least chased run plays down and tryed to get back in on the play which is something I am waiting to see from Ayers.

I hope we get the best DL in the draft, look what BJ Raji meant to the Packers D this year.

Archer81
02-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Hopefully, I think Marcus Thomas did good this last year and will just keep getting better

I think Thomas is alot like Keith Traylor. Not the greatest defensive lineman, but effective within the framework of the defensive line. If we are going back to the 4-3, a rotation with Thomas, Bannan, Vickerson and a rookie or two wouldnt be the worst thing ever.

strafen
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

For my part, I'm hoping we can grab Fairley and pair him up with Dumervil to make the new age Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas.I like your thinking. :thumbs:

strafen
02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I know right almost as wishy washy as the old regime with Defensive Coordinators. There was never a commitment to defense. Glad they finally went with a Defensive coach since the last two cares less about it.

I don't know what it is that we've neglected the defense for years.
It's like a curse...almost. :)

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Can we run a hybrid? I want to match up Dooooom against a TE in pass-pro. That way we could trade back and pick up a bunch of picks and pick up a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT in JJ Watts.

strafen
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Can we run a hybrid? I want to match up Dooooom against a TE in pass-pro. That way we could trade back and pick up a bunch of picks and pick up a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT in JJ Watts.That's what we ran last year for most part...

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
That's what we ran last year for most part...

That was out of desperation.

bronclvr
02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
John Fox: Broncos are committed to the 4-3 defense

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2011, 7:22 AM EST
Broncos coach John Fox says Denver is going back to a 4-3 defense, and he’s committed to making the transition a major priority of the 2011 offseason.

“We’re going to be a multiple-front defense, but I think we’ll make the commitment to the 4-3,” Fox told the Denver Post. “The transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 is much easier than going from the 4-3 to 3-4, I will say that. So we feel pretty confident about that switch.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/john-fox-broncos-are-committed-to-the-4-3-defense/

jhns
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't care what we run as long as it workday. It shouldn't be hard to be a lot better than what we have had in recent years. With the confirmation that we are going 4-3, it makes me really want Bower in the draft.

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
John Fox: Broncos are committed to the 4-3 defense

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2011, 7:22 AM EST
Broncos coach John Fox says Denver is going back to a 4-3 defense, and he’s committed to making the transition a major priority of the 2011 offseason.

“We’re going to be a multiple-front defense, but I think we’ll make the commitment to the 4-3,” Fox told the Denver Post. “The transition from the 3-4 to 4-3 is much easier than going from the 4-3 to 3-4, I will say that. So we feel pretty confident about that switch.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/john-fox-broncos-are-committed-to-the-4-3-defense/

Well, it's official I guess.

strafen
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't care what we run as long as it workday. It shouldn't be hard to be a lot better than what we have had in recent years. With the confirmation that we are going 4-3, it makes me really want Bower in the draft.I think we're going to have the same effect with Fox as we did with Nolan. Effective system to get the most out of the players but with better personnel all around to work with...

jhns
02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I think we're going to have the same effect with Fox as we did with Nolan. Effective system to get the most out of the players but with better personnel all around to work with...

That is what I'm hoping for. I didn't follow the Panther much though so I have no idea what to expect from Fox.

Play2win
02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I think Fox is going to be a godsend, before things are all said and done.

rugbythug
02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Doom will flourish. If we get a dt who makes a difference. Mebane?

lostknight
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
I loved the 4-3 allignment when it was discussed last year with the personal we have. Doom and Ayers focusing just on stopping the run and rushing the passer (in that order) with Bannan in the middle is a strong combo. But it does leave us with a hell of a lot of holes to fix in the LB corp. Woodyard should be much more solid in this role, but I still think that we end up getting Vonn Miller somehow.

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Exactly us old timers remember how well a 4-3 can work with 2 big inside DT and 2 fast DT, and a super fast DE off the edge. I think Broncos would be wise to look for a bigger mauling type ssl for 1st and 2nd downs.

People who say Doom doesn't fit 4-3 crack me up. His duties will be the same either way. Not like Broncos were dropping doom into coverage a lot. He was forcing runs back inside when he could and rushing the passer. Just like he will from the 4-3 end spot.

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 01:00 PM
We can line doom up a tad wide like indy does with Freeny, but then we will need some good DT to spread out inside to stop the run.

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I loved the 4-3 allignment when it was discussed last year with the personal we have. Doom and Ayers focusing just on stopping the run and rushing the passer (in that order) with Bannan in the middle is a strong combo. But it does leave us with a hell of a lot of holes to fix in the LB corp. Woodyard should be much more solid in this role, but I still think that we end up getting Vonn Miller somehow.

Hmm trade Deejay then? Really they are both weakside linebackers. Putting doom at SSL and then going with smaller DE not a smart move IMO.

TheReverend
02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
We can line doom up a tad wide like indy does with Freeny, but then we will need some good DT to spread out inside to stop the run.

Exactly why Ive been saying prepare to 2 gap. The only thing that MIGHT allow us to play a traditional front with a regular UT is Ayers development. If he can play that strong side well like I think he can, we wont need both DTs two gapping

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Exactly why Ive been saying prepare to 2 gap. The only thing that MIGHT allow us to play a traditional front with a regular UT is Ayers development. If he can play that strong side well like I think he can, we wont need both DTs two gapping

I think the old ravens style the won superbowl with, the 2 big DT who can both play 2 gaps, with speed on the outside, can be a deadly combination.

A lot of people been saying how stupid it would be to go back to a 4-3 but it seems logically to me.

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Fairley next to Doom could be a deadly combo. But Bowers and Doom on the ends could be nice as well.

*WARHORSE*
02-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Robert Quinn.

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Robert Quinn.

yah, he could be nice too.

Bigdawg26
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm all for either Peterson, Miller, or Dareus with our first pick. All of them have more than one great year on the college level, and are close to sure things. Fairley and Bowers are to much of one year wonders, and we can't afford to miss on this pick. Ideally, I would love to get Peterson or Miller in the first and Phil Taylor or Drake Nevis in the second, but I wouldn't mind getting Dareus!

TheReverend
02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm a Peterson>Fairley>Dareus guy.

If we take Miller or Bowers I will rage a quiet but violent storm for several months.

Jetmeck
02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Best D's in the league are primarily 3-4. Sucks we couldn't get it to work. Always wanted to see a Balt/Pitt type D here.

Thought Doom was much more productive in the 3-4 ????

Jetmeck
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Going back to the 4-3 means we need just that many more d-lineman..........oh well that D needed everything else so what the heck..............

cutthemdown
02-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Going back to the 4-3 means we need just that many more d-lineman..........oh well that D needed everything else so what the heck..............

Actually it means we need more linebackers because Doom and Ayers will now be DE again. We need a true MLB really bad. We do need DT though as well. Also Doom better suited to end.

ShutDownPoster
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Charles Johnson would look mighty nice in Orange & Blue.

ghostofjosh
02-19-2011, 04:25 AM
http://www.broncosgab.com/2011/02/19/broncos-moving-from-a-3-4-back-to-a-4-3-defense/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BroncosGab+(Broncos+Gab)

Cito Pelon
02-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Well, I hope Ayers is more effective passrushing in the 4-3 at DE. The guy sure has had a hard time getting to the QB his first two years. Doesn't seem to have any moves at all, and not quick enough off the snap to beat RT's.

Cito Pelon
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
30 minutes ago - Coach John Fox didn't disregard the possibility of Jamal Williams switching from a 3-4 nose tackle to an inside defender in a 4-3 front. "If you can play 3-4 nose tackle, you can play anything," Fox said. Broncos RapidReports

Kaylore
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
30 minutes ago - Coach John Fox didn't disregard the possibility of Jamal Williams switching from a 3-4 nose tackle to an inside defender in a 4-3 front. "If you can play 3-4 nose tackle, you can play anything," Fox said. Broncos RapidReports

Will Jamal Williams even be a Bronco? He has a bloated salary, and I'm willing to bet that when the labor deal is eventually ironed out, the owners will get the grace period Hockey got, where they will be able to cut any players for no penalties. I promise you guys like Graham and Williams could be casualties of that.

TheReverend
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Any other news on the "No ****" wire?

2KBack
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Will Jamal Williams even be a Bronco? He has a bloated salary, and I'm willing to bet that when the labor deal is eventually ironed out, the owners will get the grace period Hockey got, where they will be able to cut any players for no penalties. I promise you guys like Graham and Williams could be casualties of that.

Wouldn't that further weaken a weak position though? I know Williams isn't what he once was, but he is a solid veteran at a position of real need. It's not like there is a cap to be right up against.

TheReverend
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

:/

cutthemdown
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM

You promise they could be huh? wow don't go out on a limb or anything with your promises. I for sure might think you are lame. :thanku:

cutthemdown
02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
:/

Shhhh he's for sure on a roll.....maybe.

BroncoBuff
02-24-2011, 01:40 PM
So what with Elvis then? His trade value plumetted missing last season.

broncosteven
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
So what with Elvis then? His trade value plumetted missing last season.

He and Ayers will be DE's per MAXDENVER.

Now it is beginning to shape up that we need an MLB and SAM Depending on where they put DJ.

I am guessing Mays will be out because he is a liablity in coverage and in a 4-3 LB's need to be able to cover.

oubronco
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Oh please please please :pray:

Broncos coach John Fox sounded "less than enthusiastic" when discussing the team's defensive tackles at the Combine Thursday.
Meanwhile, Fox twice mentioned RE Elvis Dumervil's "17 sacks" in 2009, and said he has the "utmost confidence" in LE Robert Ayers' ability. CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang takes all this to mean Fox might be more tempted to target defensive tackles in the draft than defensive ends like Da'Quan Bowers. Fox is going to strongly consider Nick Fairley and Marcell Dareus. Source: CBS Sports Feb 24, 12:13 PM

broncosteven
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Oh please please please :pray:

Broncos coach John Fox sounded "less than enthusiastic" when discussing the team's defensive tackles at the Combine Thursday.
Meanwhile, Fox twice mentioned RE Elvis Dumervil's "17 sacks" in 2009, and said he has the "utmost confidence" in LE Robert Ayers' ability. CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang takes all this to mean Fox might be more tempted to target defensive tackles in the draft than defensive ends like Da'Quan Bowers. Fox is going to strongly consider Nick Fairley and Marcell Dareus. Source: CBS Sports Feb 24, 12:13 PM

I would much rather have a DT than a DE. All we have at DT is an aging Williams who is better suited to the 3-4.

Chris
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
http://empirewebsite.com/images/marcus_thomas_backflip.JPG

What we didn't realise is that he only flipped backwards the second an o-lineman touched him.

oubronco
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
The blonde in the background looks pretty hot

Chris
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
The blonde in the background looks pretty hot

That's Matt Lepsis.

Old Dude
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Yup it's official.

As the article said, Doom better start eating.

We're going to have to get a lot of help via draft and free agency, because the weakest spot on our team is going to require 4 starters and at least 3 backups.

Right now, the only people in place are Ayers, Bannan and Doom. Maybe Thomas. Outside chance for Vickerson, I guess.

Carmelo15
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Yup it's official.

As the article said, Doom better start eating.

We're going to have to get a lot of help via draft and free agency, because the weakest spot on our team is going to require 4 starters and at least 3 backups.

Right now, the only people in place are Ayers, Bannan and Doom. Maybe Thomas. Outside chance for Vickerson, I guess.

I read in the Denver Post a couple days ago that the Broncos are in negotiations to re-sign Marcus Thomas & Vickerson.