PDA

View Full Version : Your Prediction: The Lockout ends...

montrose
02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Adam Schefter
Text from plugged-in NFL person: "This CBA has no chance. The owners don't a deal. Take a break - a month off. You won't miss anything."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

backup qb
02-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Unfortunately, I think sometime in August.

TailgateNut
02-12-2011, 05:26 AM
What pisses me off is that if I want to keep my season tix which we've had forever and a day I have to give ****ing Pat Bowlen what equates to a interest free loan of
almost $5K until a decision is made, and then, and only then I can either request a refund, or if they come to an agreement, receive my tix for next year.

****ing arrogant assholes (the league, the owners and the players).

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll say August, but I really don't have a clue. There doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency right now. But Goodell has said he'll reduce his salary to $1 from $10 mil so maybe he feels some urgency, but I'm not sure if the other parties feel the same way. Canceling scheduled meetings doesn't sound good.

tsiguy96
02-12-2011, 07:18 AM
if the NFL thinks they wont lose fans over this, they are crazy. you cant have these people spitting in the face of fans constantly and expect people to just take it. they are fighting over an amount of money that .000000001% of the fans will ever see. such a large number of fans are middle class or poor, and these idiots expect us to sit on the side and feel sorry for one group or the other?

they all disgust me, because at the end of the day, every dollar they make comes at the hand of us, and they simply dont care.

Beantown Bronco
02-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Adam Schefter
Text from plugged-in NFL person: "This CBA has no chance. The owners don't a deal. Take a break - a month off. You won't miss anything."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Text from a plugged-in NFL person? Based off the bolded "sentence", I'm going to go with Josina.

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Some articles:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_labor_agents_view

This is a good one:

Who's greedier, the millionaires or billionaires?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_jim_litke021011

"Owners and players are fighting over how to divvy up roughly $9 billion in revenues. The average franchise is valued at just over $1 billion and the average player salary is just under $2 million. Yet they're still so far apart on a new deal that Thursday's bargaining session ended after just two hours without a word on when it might resume."

"But the early deal-breaker appears to be the owners' demand to take $2 billion from the pot — instead of the $1 billion set out in the last deal — even before discussions start on how to split the rest of the economic pie."

The players essentially have to give back some revenue they gained with the last CBA, and aren't getting anything in return. That's how it looks to me, anyway. Less revenue, and split over 18 games instead of 16 is the owner's proposal, I guess.

This is gonna take some creativity, and labor negotiations are not generally known for creativity, more for stubborness and acrimony.

oubronco
02-12-2011, 08:15 AM
The conventional wisdom is it's a battle between billionaire owners and millionaire players, with the public unlikely to have much sympathy for either. In fact, it's beginning to look more like billionaire owners against the world — players, related businesses poised to suffer collateral damage and pretty much anyone who balks at a $9 beer.

Read more: Krieger: Lockout is a lock, sadly - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17367362#ixzz1DlIfunnV) http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17367362#ixzz1DlIfunnV
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

tsiguy96
02-12-2011, 08:21 AM
but then you can make teh case the owners are charging $9 a beer because the players are getting such ridiculous salaries...

Rohirrim
02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I say August. It will take that long for their greed to overpower their egos.

TheChamp24
02-12-2011, 08:28 AM
The owners need to stop being so greedy. I believe the players wanted to do 50-50 of total revenue of the $9 billion, while the owners want a $2 billion credit before they split. Basically, the owners want 60% of the pot which I feel is going way to far.
What it might take to get it resolved would be a $1 billion credit and then a 50-50 split of the remaining.
Then it would end up basically 55% for the owners, 45% for the players.

TailgateNut
02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
but then you can make teh case the owners are charging $9 a beer because the players are getting such ridiculous salaries...

No, because some people actually bend over, and pay that much for 12oz of swill.

TailgateNut
02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I say July, because by then, the owner will have a high percentage of season ticket holders requesting full refunds, and that'll hurt their caviar lifestyles, especially if they aren't getting revenue from tv contracts and advertisements.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Reminder to NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers: cancel your automatically renewing subscription until this issue is fixed. DirecTV is already making this difficult by requiring that you call in to cancel, instead of being able to manage your account online.

Pony Boy
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
What pisses me off is that if I want to keep my season tix which we've had forever and a day I have to give ****ing Pat Bowlen what equates to a interest free loan of
almost $5K until a decision is made, and then, and only then I can either request a refund, or if they come to an agreement, receive my tix for next year.

****ing arrogant a-holes (the league, the owners and the players).

What really amazes me is that you're willing to pay ****ing Pat Bowlen $5K to put yourself through the agony of watching Tim Tebow play for the Broncos for the next 10 years. Humm... I think that would be $50K ;D

TailgateNut
02-12-2011, 08:43 AM
What really amazes me is that you're willing to pay ****ing Pat Bowlen $5K to put yourself through the agony of watching Tim Tebow play for the Broncos for the next 10 years. Humm... I think that would be $50K ;D

I'm not. I'm going to keep my seats, sell them to TimBowNites this season, and make a buck or two. **** Pat Bowlen, Mr Goody Two Shoes and theose pesky ass TimBowNites.

I might go to one or two games just for nostalgia's sake.

Probably fix up the RV (paint, tune-up) and sell it.

Pony Boy
02-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm not. I'm going to keep my seats, sell them to TimBowNites this season, and make a buck or two. **** Pat Bowlen, Mr Goody Two Shoes and theose pesky ass TimBowNites.

Yep, I woulld definitely keep the seats and who knows you might be changing your name to TebowgateNut........ worse things could happen.

Punisher
02-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Find a new favorite sport for a year

go_broncos
02-12-2011, 09:09 AM
It will be May..

long beach bronco
02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Why do people wait till the last second to get anything done. They created their own sense of urgency by not getting this deal done earlier. Now it may be too late....shamefull. :(

long beach bronco
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM
If this thing goes into September, they are going to have to do a lot of reshuffling with schedules/hotels/bye weeks/Super Bowl scheduling/extremely angry fan bases. Why deal with all of that when they can come to their senses and get this thing done now. Get it done now please!!!!!

loborugger
02-12-2011, 09:49 AM

There is greed and blame on both sides of the fence. Both groups wanna bigger chunk of the prize pig - us and all of our purchasing of their stuff. Its more than a bit of a turn off.

I think all in the NFL - players, owners, execs - have over-estimated their position, the esteem to which their product is held in the eyes of the American consumer. I think they believe they can have a work stoppage, sling mud, bicker, etc, and when they are all done squabbling that we, like zombies, will funnel back to the TV (and stadiums) to consume their package. And maybe we will.

However, it took years for MLB to recover from its strike. And it only recovered from the strike by having a period where it turned a blind eye to cheating which allowed the players to put up eye popping stats. Hockey had its lock out a few years ago, and now is on life support here in the States. Fortunately for the NHL, Hockey is Canada is football, baseball, and basketball all rolled into one.

I know that this crowd here represents the most die hard of fans, so I assume most of the folks here will be those that will funnel back to the product. And so be it. I am not here to criticize. But I will say this if they have a work stoppage/strike/shortened season. First, I hope that the American populace as a whole gives the NFL a cold shoulder. And secondly, it will be a long time before I pry open my wallet to buy a DirectTv package, a jersey, a T shirt, much less the day trip to Denver to watch a game.

long beach bronco
02-12-2011, 09:53 AM
You are preaching to the choir brother, I just hope it doesn't come to that. :(

Kaylore
02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I chose October because I believe the owners will take it to preseason and a few months is as long as I believe players can hold out. A few things to remember when considering the Owners ability to ride this out deep into 2012:

1. TV contracts are guaranteed. That's plenty to tie these guys over.

2. The Owners took out an insurance policy against a lockout 2 years ago that they are going to cash in on. The PA hasn't done that since they are supposed to just rely on Union dues.

3. Players are comparatively horrible at saving money and spending frugally. That's not a knock on them, it's just looking at this from a realistic perspective. Owners are better (for the most part) at managing their money because they are running an organization whereas players are running their livelihood. An owner can see his business lose money and still have a home, food and things to do. A player has himself at that's it, and when he goes from making a few mil a year to union dues, that shock would be hard on anyone. This is especially true when you consider half these guys went to schools where their academic experience consisted of the coach telling the teacher what grade he gets, and then if they even did get a degree, it was usually in something completely useless like political science or psychology.

The players are going to get absolutely crushed, and the owners know this but they also know it will take a real lockout to bring them to their knees and that means playing this at least into the preseason.

TailgateNut
02-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Yep, I woulld definitely keep the seats and who knows you might be changing your name to TebowgateNut........ worse things could happen.

You can't change an old dog.

Dedhed
02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I think they'll get something done before the draft; ie before any real damage is done.

peacepipe
02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/01/20110110/Labor-and-Agents/Liz-column.aspx

Attorneys for the NFL and the NFL Players Association were arguing a case last week that didn’t get a lot of attention in the mainstream media but could potentially affect the NFL labor dispute.

The NFLPA is challenging the NFL’s ability to get more than $4 billion in television contract money even if no games are played, and Jeffrey Kessler, outside counsel for the NFLPA, said the case could determine whether there is a lockout.

“The football fans, cities and others should hope that the players win this case,” said Kessler, who is representing the NFLPA in the hearing, “because if we win this case it makes the looming prospect of a lockout by the NFL less likely.” The NFL collective-bargaining agreement is set to expire March 3.

The NFL declined to comment for this story. On its website NFLLabor.com, the league has denied the union’s allegations that the inclusion of the lockout provisions in the television contract was a violation of the settlement of the Reggie White v. NFL case, which is the basis of the current CBA. The league has said that those provisions were in television contracts for decades and that they are not “lockout insurance.”

Bill Gould, a Stanford Law School professor and former head of the National Labor Relations Board, said the provisions are at least “partial lockout insurance” and the case could give one side or the other significant leverage in the labor battle.

“I think if the players win, it reduces the economic incentive of the owners to engage in a lockout,” Gould said. “It obviously strengthens the hand of the players. If the owners win, they have partial lockout insurance, which is going to diminish the economic burden that otherwise would be thrust on them.”

Special Master Stephen Burbank, who is hearing the case, is expected to issue a decision by the end of this month.

peacepipe
02-12-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/2/9/1984152/colts-qb-peyton-manning-attended-nfl-labor-negotiations

Quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Drew Brees were among the star players who attended a negotiating session between the NFL and players' union Saturday, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

While it is not unusual for players to occasionally sit in on negotiations, the presence of Manning was a surprise and is an early indication that the union is successfully getting the support of its superstar quarterbacks. During the 1987 players strike and subsequent labor strife, several of the league's star passers broke union ranks by signing licensing rights with the NFL which weakened the union revenue pool.

Add Tom Brady into the Pro-Union group, which he has very much been so far, and the league's three most visible and most popular QBs give the Union the leverage they need to get a fair deal done with the league. This is a much better position than 1987 for the Union, as the league has to listen when these three QBs say something. Without them, the NFL isn't worth nearly as much as they are with Manning, Brady, and Brees.

cutthemdown
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
it doesn't upset me at all. Stuff like this happens in between contracts in many businesses so to me it's not big deal. They will get it ironed out in time for football. Don't worry they won't miss season, that costs everyone money.

gunns
02-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I chose October because I believe the owners will take it to preseason and a few months is as long as I believe players can hold out. A few things to remember when considering the Owners ability to ride this out deep into 2012:

2. The Owners took out an insurance policy against a lockout 2 years ago that they are going to cash in on. The PA hasn't done that since they are supposed to just rely on Union dues.

3. Players are comparatively horrible at saving money and spending frugally. That's not a knock on them, it's just looking at this from a realistic perspective. Owners are better (for the most part) at managing their money because they are running an organization whereas players are running their livelihood. An owner can see his business lose money and still have a home, food and things to do. A player has himself at that's it, and when he goes from making a few mil a year to union dues, that shock would be hard on anyone. This is especially true when you consider half these guys went to schools where their academic experience consisted of the coach telling the teacher what grade he gets, and then if they even did get a degree, it was usually in something completely useless like political science or psychology.

The players are going to get absolutely crushed, and the owners know this but they also know it will take a real lockout to bring them to their knees and that means playing this at least into the preseason.

I agree with this but I think it will be August. I think the players will start feeling the affects of no pay and not want to keep it going longer. I also think the owners will start thinking what the affects of the fan base anger might do.

I don't sympathize with either side but the owners are angering me. The economy tanks and I'm sure they've taken hits but the hits are not anywhere comparable to the rest of the population. Bowlen's been crying for several years and I'm not buying it. It makes it incredibly suspicious that the owners won't show how much they have lost. Probably because it doesn't even compare to the crying they've done.

rugbythug
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM

If you want to sell a couple Face Value Right now. Interest Free Loan. PM me.

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM

That's the analysis I didn't want to see, but could be true. Maybe your analysis is a little harsh, maybe the players hold out and won't give in?

I have no idea how it's gonna play out. The players seem adamant about playing 18 games for a 16 game salary and at the same time reducing their share of the $9 billion pie. The owners will have to make some concessions somewhere to make the 2011 season.

~Crash~
02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
College football says thank you !

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/01/20110110/Labor-and-Agents/Liz-column.aspx

I'm pretty sure he ruled that the NFL was allowed to take that money. It was kind of a surprise because he was accused of being pro-union. I think it's clear the NFLPA wanted that money to be rejected so they could force the owners' hands but since that money will be going forth, it falls back to the players' hands being forced.

I'll try to find the link but fairly certain that was already ruled.

Tombstone RJ
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll say August, but I really don't have a clue. There doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency right now. But Goodell has said he'll reduce his salary to $1 from $10 mil so maybe he feels some urgency, but I'm not sure if the other parties feel the same way. Canceling scheduled meetings doesn't sound good.

wow, he's seriously over paid.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
That's the analysis I didn't want to see, but could be true. Maybe your analysis is a little harsh, maybe the players hold out and won't give in?

I have no idea how it's gonna play out. The players seem adamant about playing 18 games for a 16 game salary and at the same time reducing their share of the $9 billion pie. The owners will have to make some concessions somewhere to make the 2011 season.

The catch though is the union is already set to decertify and that's supposed to prevent a lockout. Not positive how all that works but that's the way I understood it. No union means nobody to lock out and no union means the anti-trust case comes back to life.

It's all a confusing mess and it's a little interesting to see how they posture against each other.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
wow, he's seriously over paid.

No kidding. He runs a company which sells itself and he just has to stay out of the way. 10 mil to stay out of the way, I'll take it.

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/2/9/1984152/colts-qb-peyton-manning-attended-nfl-labor-negotiations

"Saturday" is the key word. That means they're still negotiating today, at least meeting, trying.

~Crash~
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM
The owners need to stop being so greedy. I believe the players wanted to do 50-50 of total revenue of the $9 billion, while the owners want a $2 billion credit before they split. Basically, the owners want 60% of the pot which I feel is going way to far.
What it might take to get it resolved would be a $1 billion credit and then a 50-50 split of the remaining.
Then it would end up basically 55% for the owners, 45% for the players.

why you say that Owners flip the bill for all the other stuff hire and do a lot of small things that should net them more they are key . so yes they should get more .

rugbythug
02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
No kidding. He runs a company which sells itself and he just has to stay out of the way. 10 mil to stay out of the way, I'll take it.

10 Million is nothing in a 10 billion dollar business.

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM

That's interesting. Very interesting. "decision expected by the end of [February]." That could be the holdup right there.

Tombstone RJ
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM

well said, I think the owners are well prepared for a lockout. they have guaranteed money from the tv contracts, they have insurance, they have the most valuable of assets, time.

Players, not so much.

I see a protracted negotiation period with the players capitulating on a longer season, a rookie cap, and no revenue increase. the owners will ask the players to split things 50/50. I think the nflpa will ultimately say yes to 50/50 and a longer season. what the players will ask for is a higher minimum salary cap, and more money going to vets, along with an expanded roster (more total revenue), and less total team time with things like OTAs, basically, they will want to do less work.

fair enough for me. get r done.

long beach bronco
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Manning, Brady and Brees walked into the negotiating room taking everyone by surprise and saying the famous words: "I'm your huckleberry."

The NFL negotiators responded in fear: "We were just fooling about."

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
That's interesting. Very interesting. "decision expected by the end of [February]." That could be the holdup right there.

It was a mid-January article. The ruling at the end of January was that the NFL could take it. Here's the PFT bit on it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/special-master-wont-bar-nfl-from-taking-tv-money/

NFL Special Master Stephen Burbank ruled on Tuesday that the NFL can have access to 2011 TV revenue, to the consternation of the NFLPA.

The so-called “lockout insurance” case was raised by the union, who argued that guaranteeing ongoing payment in the event of a work stoppage violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The league quickly announced the decision as a victory on Twitter. With that said, they stressed in a media session last month that they will ultimately have to pay back the television contract money with interest if games are missed.

NFL chief negotiator Jeff Pash compared the money to a home equity line of credit.

While the NFLPA is sure to appeal the ruling, it’s a line of credit that the league now can expect to receive, if games ultimately are canceled.

Pick Six
02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
If the lockout does begin, it won't be settled until July or August. There's no urgency, until then...

broncolife
02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Im guessing it will be the day after the draft because our luck sucks.

chadta
02-12-2011, 12:34 PM
How does the lockout effect the Shannon Sharpe HOF induction ?

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
How does the lockout effect the Shannon Sharpe HOF induction ?

There wont be a ****ty, meaningless game played that weekend?

chadta
02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
There wont be a ****ty, meaningless game played that weekend?

i dont care about the game, i care about the HOF induction

ZachKC
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
This is a crazy situation. Won't be the end of the world though even if I miss some football. I will focus even more on Mizzou football and be able to keep more tabs on the end of the MLS season as well as the start of the premiership.

loborugger
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM

As does MLB.

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
It was a mid-January article. The ruling at the end of January was that the NFL could take it. Here's the PFT bit on it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/special-master-wont-bar-nfl-from-taking-tv-money/

NFL Special Master Stephen Burbank ruled on Tuesday that the NFL can have access to 2011 TV revenue, to the consternation of the NFLPA.

The so-called “lockout insurance” case was raised by the union, who argued that guaranteeing ongoing payment in the event of a work stoppage violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The league quickly announced the decision as a victory on Twitter. With that said, they stressed in a media session last month that they will ultimately have to pay back the television contract money with interest if games are missed.

NFL chief negotiator Jeff Pash compared the money to a home equity line of credit.

While the NFLPA is sure to appeal the ruling, it’s a line of credit that the league now can expect to receive, if games ultimately are canceled.

Interesting. So in the long run, the owners have to pay on a loan if games are missed, and the players lose salary for games missed.

Sounds like a typical labor disagreement. Stubborness on both sides costs both sides money, lawyers cash in.

I don't know what to expect, but I think the lawyers are getting the guaranteed money.

SoCalBronco
02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Hopefully it is resolved before July/August. I'm hoping to get out to camp this year in the first week of August....if there is a camp.

HEAV
02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I say October is when the union will crack and the players will take whatever deal is on the table.

Hogan11
02-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Pretty much....Looks like I'll be making a pilgrimage to Sanford Stadium instead of Mile High next season.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I love that this coincides with the return of a football program to Michigan. I haven't watched Michigan games in a few years, now I'll get to again.

ZONA
02-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I say it gets done before the draft in early April. Not any sooner because there really is nothing taking place that's significant and each side will not be willing to do anything until the draft approaches. If nothing is done before then, and there's no draft, that's when the fans will really start to get nasty and both sides will hear it and feel it.

The draft has a HUGE fan following and also if it doesn't take place at the normal time, there's going to be TV owners upset and a whole host of other business interest the NFL will piss off if the draft doesn't take place. I just think that's the focal point as far as time frames go.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I say it gets done before the draft in early April. Not any sooner because there really is nothing taking place that's significant and each side will not be willing to do anything until the draft approaches. If nothing is done before then, and there's no draft, that's when the fans will really start to get nasty and both sides will hear it and feel it.

The draft has a HUGE fan following and also if it doesn't take place at the normal time, there's going to be TV owners upset and a whole host of other business interest the NFL will piss off if the draft doesn't take place. I just think that's the focal point as far as time frames go.

Wasn't it established that the draft goes on no matter what?

Requiem
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Hopefully it is resolved before July/August. I'm hoping to get out to camp this year in the first week of August....if there is a camp.

FML.

I just started looking at flights to Denver and I can get them ridiculously cheap (~200 or so round trip) and was really hoping to be able to get to camp too and meet some of ya'll and do some good analysis on dem dang Denver Broncos.

There has to be a camp this year. :wave:

HorseHead
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
longer the lock out, less chance of another Black Eyed Peas halftime show...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
April. Just a feeling. I assume the players know they will be playing 18 games, they just want more money. I have a feeling a consensus will be reached.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Theres a draft regardless of whether or not theres a lockout

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Wasn't it established that the draft goes on no matter what?

The draft will occur as always, that's the only sure thing right now. That's why so many underclassmen are declaring for the draft.

peacepipe
02-12-2011, 05:53 PM
personally,I think there will be no upcomming season. The NFLPA will stick to there guns for at least a season. The XFL proved their isn't a fan base for second rate football. Also the union will likely decertify preventing a lockout.

Hogan11
02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
personally,I think there will be no upcomming season. The NFLPA will stick to there guns for at least a season. The XFL proved their isn't a fan base for second rate football. Also the union will likely decertify preventing a lockout.

There was no lockout/strike when the XFL was around. The UFL is banking it's entire existance on this strike and I thought I saw it somewhere when the NFLPA will allow players to play in the UFL if they so choose in the event of a lockout.

We'll see if people will still reject second rate football if that happens or not.

peacepipe
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
There was no lockout/strike when the XFL was around. The UFL is banking it's entire existance on this strike and I thought I saw it somewhere when the NFLPA will allow players to play in the UFL if they so choose in the event of a lockout.

We'll see if people will still reject second rate football if that happens or not.It'll get rejected you can bank on that.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM

The players will absolutely cave. They're too addicted to the money and big life. Especially if the union decertifies as is expected.

Hogan11
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
It'll get rejected you can bank on that.

Maybe.....but you never really know. Especially if the season gets cancelled

broncosteven
02-12-2011, 06:16 PM

If not then that will give everyone a chance to read (or Reread) "Failure is not an Option" in their spare time.

Win, Win really.

Kaylore
02-12-2011, 06:45 PM
If the lock out lasts past October, one thing I would like to see is the other sports stepping their game up and winning over some viewers. I'm pretty jaded with pro basketball, but I would like to see Hockey make a real push. If they can get a decent TV contract, they could really win some fans back. College football will be huge too.

That One Guy
02-12-2011, 07:17 PM
If the lock out lasts past October, one thing I would like to see is the other sports stepping their game up and winning over some viewers. I'm pretty jaded with pro basketball, but I would like to see Hockey make a real push. If they can get a decent TV contract, they could really win some fans back. College football will be huge too.

The problem with basketball, particularly college, is that it's so easy to say the refs gave someone the game. In the media era we're in, every blown call to decide a significant game (and there's always plenty) get's publicized so heavily that I can't even enjoy the game without wondering in the back of my head if it was really rigged. Soooo many touchy calls at the ends of games.

chadta
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM

I would love to see hockey do alot of sunday afternoon games to try and fill the football void, but please for the love of god no more stupid glowing blue pucks.

Man-Goblin
02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
It'll be July. I think I voted for June, though.

HEAV
02-12-2011, 08:39 PM

You'll be even more jaded with the NBA....they also are headed for a lockout in 2011-2012 season.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I think people underestimate the power of NFL football. This is hardly baseball or basketball. PRESEASON football games outrate WORLD SERIES and NBA FINALS games. The fans will come back, no doubt, there is no replacement for pro football. May it lose a fan or two over the short term? Perhaps, but i think most people will just come back to it while sighing "thank god football is back"

I still think it gets done sooner than later.

loborugger
02-12-2011, 10:47 PM

Exactly. Rep

Pick Six
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
The TV execs will hold the key to ending this lockout. There is too much money at stake to let this beast called pro football to drop out...

cutthemdown
02-13-2011, 12:08 AM
N college football, basketball, NBA, hockey.......none of that can replace Broncos football for me. If they don't play then I would just listen to more music, do things outdoors on sundays more etc etc.

montrose
02-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Stink was tweeting the Jets and Chiefs have already started laying off employees to get ready...

DrFate
02-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Great insights by Kaylore in this thread

I think he's on target on each

mhgaffney
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
The loser will be football.