PDA

View Full Version : My local Bar...

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I was drinking tonight with my wife, at my favourite Sunday NFL ticket bar and in walks Dave Wannstedt, I'm thinking "that's cool, he must be about to leave for Buffalo this week".
Then someone tells me that the guy next to him is Norv Turner's son, who just got hired by Carolina Panthers after his years at Pitt as a WR coach.
Then 2 minutes later, in comes Norv Turner.

They were all nice people I went over introduced myself, and told Norv he was sitting RIGHT in the spot I was when the "Hocculi Call" was made.
After I declared myself as a Denver and Mecklenburg fan he reminisced about the day his Cowboy offense worked, to give him a "Jay Novacek v Karl Mecklenburg" match-up, ... Jay's greatest day recieving ... ugh!

No punchline here, just felt like I wanted to tell someone the story.
(Apparently a few Steeler fans were ass-holes the last time he was in town, I think they were all shocked that I wasn't another obnoxious "opposing fan" jerk!) ;)

strafen
02-11-2011, 11:21 PM
That's very cool!

Los Broncos
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Nice.

bronco0608
02-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Where do you live?

Really cool story.

Pick Six
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
So...HOW much were you drinking? :clown:

Pony Boy
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
name-dropper

Cito Pelon
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I was drinking tonight with my wife, at my favourite Sunday NFL ticket bar and in walks Dave Wannstedt, I'm thinking "that's cool, he must be about to leave for Buffalo this week".
Then someone tells me that the guy next to him is Norv Turner's son, who just got hired by Carolina Panthers after his years at Pitt as a WR coach.
Then 2 minutes later, in comes Norv Turner.

They were all nice people I went over introduced myself, and told Norv he was sitting RIGHT in the spot I was when the "Hocculi Call" was made.
After I declared myself as a Denver and Mecklenburg fan he reminisced about the day his Cowboy offense worked, to give him a "Jay Novacek v Karl Mecklenburg" match-up, ... Jay's greatest day recieving ... ugh!

No punchline here, just felt like I wanted to tell someone the story.
(Apparently a few Steeler fans were ass-holes the last time he was in town, I think they were all shocked that I wasn't another obnoxious "opposing fan" jerk!) ;)

Gave you a little "in your face" for the Hochuli reference, eh? Did they spring for some drinks? Cool story.

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Gave you a little "in your face" for the Hochuli reference, eh? Did they spring for some drinks? Cool story.
I think they might have paid my tab, it was missing about $20 in beer, but I know the bartender, so not sure! Wannstedt has a good rep around here for being a nice guy, always has 2 minutes to talk to anybody!

The bar is in Pittsburgh, called Cupka's 2, it's an average bar but the owner makes a decent effort for people like Wannstedt, so he's always there. Apparently, Norv's son was a WR coach at Pitt before they changed coaches and he was let go, he's now going to be an assistant with Carolina.

Norv had a comeback for my Hocculi call comment, when I said my favourite player was Mecklenburg, he recalled his days in Dallas, how one day it took him 3 quarters to wrangle a game winning match-up, it was Jay Novacek v Mecklenburg, hook route, wheel route, hook route, etc - Cowboys won.

Norv gets props for being a decent guy, drinking in a bar like that!;)

TheReverend
02-12-2011, 04:12 PM
What was his comeback on the Hocculi call?

Hogan11
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
The bar is in Pittsburgh, called Cupka's 2....

I've drank in there before, a couple of years ago when I was in town for a Bucs series. It was a cool place.

broncogary
02-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I've drank in there before, a couple of years ago when I was in town for a Bucs series. It was a cool place.

"I've drank?" I think it's "I drunken." :~ohyah!:

Hogan11
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM

I was a bit drunken when I left

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Talked with a friend the other day at the bar, we were talking about the 2008 season, Norv in the bar, other team's fans in the bar ... then something dawned on me.

Have you ever cracked bad jokes at a Chargers fan's expense?
Have you ever talked smack on the Chargers head coach?
Have you ever talked smack on another teams crappy effort in blowing late game leads?

I'm sure back in week 1 2008, after SD blew the game against Carolina, my speech to the poor solitary Charger fan in the bar was along the lines of:
"Your team is good, but you need to FIRE the GM, and FIRE Norv Turner. Bring back Shottenheimer! Norv's playcalls are crap and they're predictable, basically - Norv sucks!"
... I almost feel bad now, because that "solitary Charger fan" in the bar - was Scott Turner, Norv's son! :spit: :Hilarious!

Borks147
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Talked with a friend the other day at the bar, we were talking about the 2008 season, Norv in the bar, other team's fans in the bar ... then something dawned on me.

Have you ever talked smack on another teams crappy effort in blowing late game leads?

I'm sure back in week 1 2008, after SD blew the game against Carolina, my speech to the poor solitary Charger fan in the bar was along the lines of:
"Your team is good, but you need to FIRE the GM, and FIRE Norv Turner. Bring back Shottenheimer! Norv's playcalls are crap and they're predictable, basically - Norv sucks!"
... I almost feel bad now, because that "solitary Charger fan" in the bar - was Scott Turner, Norv's son! :spit: :Hilarious!

I'm pretty sure this belongs in the awkward moment thread.

underrated29
04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure this belongs in the awkward moment thread.

I dont know, did scott turn the lights off and start to give you a hummer?

AZorange1
04-01-2011, 08:13 PM

IF that's true, I vote we fire the guy that made it so and hire the guy that uses "Drank". ^5

Blueflame
04-02-2011, 04:03 AM

A 14-2 season "should" have been good enough for another year for Marty. I mean... you fire a coach that takes you to a top-5 pick; not one who wins the division (a playoff appearance).

ghwk
04-02-2011, 06:09 PM
You should have kicked him in the nuts after he one upped you with the Novacek story. Ha!