PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy on Rome: Looking back I would have liked to run more

Kaylore
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Mike McCarthy is on Jim Rome talking about the Super Bowl. Just thought I would share that when asked about the game plan, he specifically said looking back that he wanted to run more than they did and that if he could do it again he would have liked to run it 15-20 times. He said there were instances where runs were called and they checked to passes and maybe shouldn't have.

WABronco
02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
kool

Smiling Assassin27
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Mike McCarthy is on Jim Rome talking about the Super Bowl. Just thought I would share that when asked about the game plan, he specifically said looking back that he wanted to run more than they did and that if he could do it again he would have liked to run it 15-20 times. He said there were instances where runs were called and they checked to passes and maybe shouldn't have.

Uh, that could've made the difference between winning and losing, given that Pitt was the best run defense in the league. Interesting.

bronco militia
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
they should have tried to run the ball more in the 3rd quarter...

ColoradoDarin
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
He's tearing that team apart!

cutthemdown
02-10-2011, 11:39 AM
wow 15 times? they ran it 11 lol. So ok i will give you they should have ran it 4 more times.

cutthemdown
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Had they tried to run too much more they would have lost but 5-10 more times probably not a big deal spread throughout game.

Still though anyone who thinks you can run on the Steelers is an idiot. You have to throw the ball.

chrisp
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
They won the game so...whatever.....however I do remember there were periods in the game where they just couldn't get anything going offensively, one three-and-out after another, and that helped Pittsburgh get back into the game after getting behind early.

I suppose he probably feels that if he'd have called a different game they'd have won more comfortably, but I think he needs to take a reality check - that was the best defense in the NFL, and but for those pittsburgh turnovers I really think they would have won. But hey, he's a worthy winner and I wish him well. I don't think everyone would have been so down on Josh's aversion to the run game if it hadd got us another Lombardi....

cutthemdown
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
It was the dropped passes that made people think they should have ran more.

listopencil
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
wow 15 times? they ran it 11 lol. So ok i will give you they should have ran it 4 more times.

Yeah, that was weird, I'm thinking he meant "15-20 more times".

listopencil
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
He said there were instances where runs were called and they checked to passes and maybe shouldn't have.

That is interesting.

listopencil
02-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Are you sure? I thought I saw a stat line that one of the GB RB's had 11 carries, would surprise me if he was the only guy that ran it at all for the entire team.

bronco0608
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
http://blogs.epicindia.com/leapinthedark/Let%20It%20Go%20Cover.jpg

Kaylore
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Honestly, that's all I was saying. Like 5-8 more times. Somehow you took that as "I believe the Packers should have changed their entire offense for the game and run plays out of the wishbone." Everyone else seemed to get it.

Kaylore
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, that was weird, I'm thinking he meant "15-20 more times".

Point of clarity, the number he said was hoping to hit was 20-25. They always wanted to play them spread out. Never disputed that. Just there were clear instances where they could have run it and probably would have picked up great yardage. Especially since they were averaging 4.5+ per carry.

_Oro_
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Seriously though, Kaylore, if they had run it every time they would have lost.

El Minion
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
IIRC, should have run instead of passed just before there last field goal to put them up by six in the fourth. If those passes at the goal line had been dropped, the play clock would have stopped and Pit would have a lot more time to tie and go for the for the win on the PAT. Or risked another pick six for Pit like in SB 42 by Ari.

FantomForce
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
McD got a hold of the headset, and said "chuck it to Lly...uh Driver"

extralife
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Am I forgetting something? I thought the Packers won the super bowl

bronco0608
02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
search function!!

Kylore you like to do this a lot. You are the first poster to say, "search function!"

This topic never deserved its own thread. How can you tell people to do one thing, then you are above doing the same?

Practice what you preach. More will follow you.

cutthemdown
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Honestly, that's all I was saying. Like 5-8 more times. Somehow you took that as "I believe the Packers should have changed their entire offense for the game and run plays out of the wishbone." Everyone else seemed to get it.

my bad then

schaaf
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
search function!!

Kylore you like to do this a lot. You are the first poster to say, "search function!"

This topic never deserved its own thread. How can you tell people to do one thing, then you are above doing the same?

You tell him man! youre a boss!Hilarious!

schaaf
02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
search function!!

And by using search function would have allowed him to see that there was already a thread about it?

Dedhed
02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
You tell him man! youre a boss!Hilarious!

I straight out asked Bronco608, in all seriousness, if he was <15.

schaaf
02-10-2011, 10:24 PM
If he responds by yelling and being pissy we'll assume he is about 13 haha

bronco0608
02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
If he responds by yelling and being pissy we'll assume he is about 13 haha

I straight out asked Bronco608, in all seriousness, if he was <15.

Couple of omega males bonding. How cute.

Kaylore
02-11-2011, 05:41 AM
search function!!

This topic never deserved its own thread.
I disagree. I hate people posting new information in old threads b/c half the board doesn't look at the date and becomes confused. So this is hardly something I don't "preach" or whatever. There was never a thread on Rome's interview of McCarthy so this is fine.

TheReverend
02-11-2011, 05:49 AM
I disagree. I hate people posting new information in old threads b/c half the board doesn't look at the date and becomes confused. So this is hardly something I don't "preach" or whatever. There was never a thread on Rome's interview of McCarthy so this is fine.

People (me) are too lazy to flip through existing threads at 5+ pages in to look for new information when each thread has devolved into a Cutler/McDaniels argument, so the actual article is either in the OP or doesn't exist, imo.

TheReverend
02-11-2011, 05:51 AM

An omega male is a compliment (along with alpha). I think you meant "beta".

TonyR
02-11-2011, 09:13 AM
He said there were instances where runs were called and they checked to passes and maybe shouldn't have.

Sigh. Nobody listens to me.

...And we also don't know if perhaps Rodgers checked out of some runs because of the reads he had.

HEAV
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
McCarthy must have looked at the tape and saw where he had shot to put the game away (late) with a draw play or a straight up run.

Just because they (Steelers) had a good run defense, doesn't mean you don't try to run in certian spots.

Too many on here think Kaylor was talking about 50/50-60/40 run pass ratio. All he is pointing out is the fact that the Packers had shots to run the ball in the redzone & goalline but instead chose to pass.

On that last scoring drive (FG) the packers could have put the game away with a TD. On first and goal then ran that pass play outta a heavy set and Rodgers took a sack. THat killed them and forced the Packers into passing the next two plays. No time was killed and the Packers settle for 3.

listopencil
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM

So, does this mean that you are in a sorority? How cute. I'm an omega male by the way.

strafen
02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
People (me) are too lazy to flip through existing threads at 5+ pages in to look for new information when each thread has devolved into a Cutler/McDaniels argument, so the actual article is either in the OP or doesn't exist, imo.True.
Usually, once I read the first page of the thread, I'm all good.
Once a thread reaches the second page forward, it's nothing but a bitching and pissing contest.
In fact, by the time the thread reaches its 4th page it no longer resembles the original topic, and usually there are the same morons seeking each other out, arguing like girls about some stupid crap that's got nothing to do with the topic at hand.

broncocalijohn
02-12-2011, 01:09 AM

Here we go again. Bronco0608 here yet?

Edit: too late.

bronco0608
02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
An omega male is a compliment (along with alpha). I think you meant "beta".

As opposed to alpha males and beta males, omega males are the lowest of the low on the guy food chain; they’re the type of men who shirk responsibility, refuse to grow up and generally avoid participating in the real world. Omega males take many forms: Grose points to the whiny, wannabe public intellectual, the effete and preening metrosexual, and the obsessive video game junkie as representatives of this new class of men who have seemingly renounced traditional modes of masculinity.

Upon reading this article, we couldn’t help but wonder how many guys out there might actually be omega males. To see whether or not you qualify, check out these five signs you are an omega male

Omega (usually rendered ω-male) is an antonym used to refer to the lowest caste of the hierarchical society. An omega is subordinated to all others in the community. The omega is commonly the last allowed to eat.[2]

So, does this mean that you are in a sorority? How cute. I'm an omega male by the way.

Well if you claim, so be it! Hilarious! Hilarious!

_Oro_
02-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Omega males are the new alpha males.

TheReverend
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Well if you claim, so be it! Hilarious! Hilarious!

Odd. This was the definition that I always thought it meant:

The polar opposite of the Alpha Male. Omega Males can have friends and close acquaintances but prefer to accomplish things on their own without the help of a group. Omega Males generally don't belong to any cliques and have no desire to be the leader or most outstanding of said clique. Omega Males have relations with people from all groups and carry a resourcefulness and cunning (sometimes strength) to get a job done with their own skill. This being said, an omega male can have great pride without it manifesting as "ego." (There are always exceptions.

An Alpha Male MUST absolutely be perceived by his peers as the toughest, most popular, and smartest. An Omega Male cares little for this recognition...but knows that he is all those things and more.

Alpha males must have the support of his "boys." This can be the foundation for many shallow and superficial relationships. An Omega Male needs support from time to time, but has few true friends who know him intimately and generally shuns shallow acquaintences.

Two sides of the same coin....both being very effective in accomplishing goals.
In Animals:

Two Rams are butting heads while the female watches. The winner who mates is the stongest and therefore the Alpha Male.

Wait...A third ram runs out of the woods and mates with the female while the two males are fighting. THAT is the omega male.

Inkana7
02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Wait...A third ram runs out of the woods and mates with the female while the two males are fighting. THAT is the omega male.

Sounds like a Paris compared to a Hector or Achilles.

TheReverend
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Sounds like a Paris compared to a Hector or Achilles.

I disagree. It said "mates" not "writes poetry for".

Inkana7
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I disagree. It said "mates" not "writes poetry for".

Fair point.

Agamemnon
02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
They won. Not sure why he's second guessing the playcalling when what they did worked. They are a better passing team than running team and were facing the best run defense in the league. I think they did what gave them best chance to win. They weren't going to win by trying to run on Pittsburgh.

Jason in LA
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
It should have been the Steelers running the ball more. The only time they committed to the run was in the 3rd quarter on one drive, and they marched right down the field and scored a TD. Putting the offense on Ben's shoulders was a mistake.