PDA

View Full Version : Plummer in SI

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Thought you guys might want to read a really good profile of The Snake. I think it really shows the makeup behind the man, and shows how the friendship with and loss of Pat Tillman formed his persona.

I thought it was excellent. Long, but spectacular. Like my johnson.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/index.htm

bronco0608
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
jake plummer was the man! miss that dude. most underrated bronco of all time. No doubt.

So many people forget, but we were awesome with Jake. We sucked before him and sucked after him, but with him, we were doing it.

great quote:

His teammates certainly did. Running back Mike Anderson told The Denver Post, "He puts on no airs. I love the guy. I'd go to battle for the guy every day of the year."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/5/index.htm#ixzz1DUwWc3BP

gunns
02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
jake plummer was the man! miss that dude. most underrated bronco of all time. No doubt.

So many people forget, but we were awesome with Jake. We sucked before him and sucked after him, but with him, we were doing it.

We need a face palm emoticon. :notthissh

Kaylore
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM

If by doing it you mean spinning our wheels, then yes.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
We need a face palm emoticon. :notthissh

Why? The guy's right.

39-15 with Jake as the starter.

maven

I don't recall any super bowl victories with Jake at the helm.

BroncoSojia
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM

Yeah it's not like the top 5 running game and defense we had while he was here made any difference. ::)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM

Gunns is right. We DO need a facepalm emoticon.

Spinning our wheels? Is that what the playoffs every year and an AFC Championship Game at home equals?

I guess I'd rather be "spinning our wheels" than doing whatever the hell we've been doing since Jake left. Call me crazy.

Vegas_Bronco
02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
If your only benchmark in life is to be a broncos fan...maybe you should try hanging it up and playing handball with your brother. Love that this guy will forever be remembered for walking away from societies clumsy traditions and achievements for the sake of living life the.way it should be done. Courage is showing your flaws even when everyone is watching and no one does this better than The Snake. Life only has a million routes you can take and it is refreshing to see someone take the route that few ever see bc they're too wrapped up in fear.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
If your only benchmark in life is to be a broncos fan...maybe you should try hanging it up and playing handball with your brother. Love that this guy will forever be remembered for walking away from societies clumsy traditions and achievements for the sake of living life the.way it should be done. Courage is showing your flaws even when everyone is watching and no one does this better than The Snake. Life only has a million routes you can take and it is refreshing to see someone take the route that few ever see bc they're too wrapped up in fear.

Well said. REP.

Jetmeck
02-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Getting one game from the Superbowl is spinnning your wheels.....ROFL!

Jetmeck
02-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Spinning our wheels? Is that what the playoffs every year and an AFC Championship Game at home equals?

I guess I'd rather be "spinning our wheels" than doing whatever the hell we've been doing since Jake left. Call me crazy.

Thanks for stating the obvious....to most of us....I mean it....seriously !!

Kaylore

Jake wasn't THE reason we were in the AFCG. That had more to do with a great running game, solid defense and he didn't turn the ball over too much. I love Jake for being the anti-Griese and for helping bring big plays back to Denver. I will always think less of him for how he stopped trying when Cutler was drafted. You look at guys like Brees, Orton, even freaking Kitna. They all raised their play. Plummer just stopped caring.

Hamrob
The worst thing you can be as a QB is a statue ala Orton. Jake was a great scrambler which significantly helped him and our Oline.

The 2nd worst thing you can be as a QB is a bad decision maker...this is where Jake screwed the pooch!

Honestly, in many ways, Jake resembled Joe Montana (no really!)...he just did not have the decision making capability that Montana had and thus...instead of a great QB...he turned out to be an average QB.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Jake wasn't THE reason we were in the AFCG. That had more to do with a great running game, solid defense and he didn't turn the ball over too much. I love Jake for being the anti-Griese and for helping bring big plays back to Denver. I will always think less of him for how he stopped trying when Cutler was drafted. You look at guys like Brees, Orton, even freaking Kitna. They all raised their play. Plummer just stopped caring.

No, he wasn't THE reason. There are few quarterbacks in this league who get to the Super Bowl being THE reason they're there. It is still a team game. Rodgers wasn't THE reason the Packers got to the Super Bowl, and Big Ben wasn't THE reason, either. It takes outstanding play from everyone on that roster, excellent coaching as well.

It's awfully damning that we went from a perennial contender with Plummer under center to a perennial choker with Cutler. The w/l record under Plummer and the w/l record since are pretty stark as well.

He was athletic, could get out of trouble, and make good throws. His teammates trusted in and loved him. He was exciting to watch, and though he made his mistakes -- like every other QB in the game -- he was also damn good for this team.

After reading this article, I have a bunch of new reasons to respect him. Good guy.

bronco0608
02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Now remember Jake's offensive line: Erick Pears at LT and George Foster at RT.

He was scrambling for his life all the time.

Jay Cutler took over the same team and had a worst record when he was supposedly the superior player.

Gotta give the Snake credit. His teammates played hard for him and they had success on the field.

strafen
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
What is this love for mediocre QB's?
We weren't going anywhere with Jake.
Interception proned QB.He sucked too, just like Kyle Orton

Plummer and Orton. Please!

Smiling Assassin27
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Dumbstruck, the woman appraised the scruffy man who'd been delivering food for months. "You're that Jake Plummer?" ROFL!

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM

i don't recall any playoff appearances without Jake, yet i remember yearly trips to the playoffs and a showing in the AFC Championship game with him.

i am happy the guy is happy and living a good life, it is just sad that so many Broncos fans refuse to look at all the good he did for the team.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Wow, you're dumb. Legendarily stupid. They should put a monument up to immortalize your complete inability to grasp anything about what you discuss.

39-15 as a starter in Denver. But he "sucks" and is "mediocre."

LOL

Shoemaker
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Man, your posts about Broncos quarterbacks make a compelling case that you don't know all that much about football.

Neither Jake nor Orton "sucked," and I'd be interested in seeing you prove otherwise.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

i thought we were talking about Plummer, not Cutler

71 TDs and 47 INTs in Denver in 59 games less than an INT a game and more than 1 TD average.

and going nowhere with Plummer? he got us to the AFCCG, and had he had a team with a talented RB and another Defensive playmaker or 2, we would have had a Super Bowl team in 2005

jhns
02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Man, your posts about Broncos quarterbacks make a compelling case that you don't know all that much about football.

Neither Jake nor Orton "sucked," and I'd be interested in seeing you prove otherwise.

Orton just led the worst ever Broncos season. I would say that is a little bit of suck. Even that ****ty Cutler guy won 8 games with the same crap defense.

jhns
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Plummer was good for this team for a while but needed to go when he did. I have a lot of respect for what he did here.

maven
02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
i don't recall any playoff appearances without Jake, yet i remember yearly trips to the playoffs and a showing in the AFC Championship game with him.

i am happy the guy is happy and living a good life, it is just sad that so many Broncos fans refuse to look at all the good he did for the team.

Definitely, good for him. But, he never lead this team to the big game. And as a fan that's all I want to see.

Smiling Assassin27
02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
And as usual, the truth is somewhere in between all this arguing. Plummer was a leader and a guy who found ways to win games for Denver. He produced great stats, led a team to the AFC title game, and did it in an utterly un-Elway-like manner. Hell, when you compare ANYONE to elway--they're gonna look puny. I don't think Jake does, though. I think he acquitted himself well in Denver and rewarded the Broncos for putting their faith and dollars in him. Was he perfect? Get serious. Dude played some flat out awful downs in Denver and probably was the cause (partial or nearly entire, depending on the game) of more than a few L's.

To me, the guy brought a whole new vibe to Denver--he was less guarded, honest to a fault, and didn't feel the need to put on a show. I appreciated that and still do. Not because that's THE way to play qb in this league but simply because he was himself. I see Tebow in much the same way, but he's totally unlike Jake in personality off the field, yet isn't afraid to just be who he is. I'm grateful for what Jake did in Denver and am glad to see that he just keeps on keeping on.

The Broncos were better off for having a Snake era.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
And as usual, the truth is somewhere in between all this arguing. Plummer was a leader and a guy who found ways to win games for Denver. He produced great stats, led a team to the AFC title game, and did it in an utterly un-Elway-like manner. Hell, when you compare ANYONE to elway--they're gonna look puny. I don't think Jake does, though. I think he acquitted himself well in Denver and rewarded the Broncos for putting their faith and dollars in him. Was he perfect? Get serious. Dude played some flat out awful downs in Denver and probably was the cause (partial or nearly entire, depending on the game) of more than a few L's.

To me, the guy brought a whole new vibe to Denver--he was less guarded, honest to a fault, and didn't feel the need to put on a show. I appreciated that and still do. Not because that's THE way to play qb in this league but simply because he was himself. I see Tebow in much the same way, but he's totally unlike Jake in personality off the field, yet isn't afraid to just be who he is. I'm grateful for what Jake did in Denver and am glad to see that he just keeps on keeping on.

Could probably /end thread here. Well said.

I think the article points out his flaws, but it also celebrates who Jake Plummer THE MAN was in Denver, and who he's been since. It's the same guy, which is remarkable.

I appreciated his era in Denver. I wish we hadn't traded two first rounders to grab a QB who the coaching staff hadn't even spoken with prior to the draft.

Jason in LA
02-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's not like the top 5 running game and defense we had while he was here made any difference. ::)

Plummer fans seem to forget this and give all the credit to Plummer.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Plummer fans seem to forget this and give all the credit to Plummer.

Bronco fans tend to give credit where it's due. And with Plummer under center we won WAY more games than we lost. Yes, we had a good defense. Yes, we had a good running game. What's a good running game without a good passing game? What's a good defense if you can't score points?

strafen
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I remember the finger Plummer gave the fans at Mile-Hi stadium.
He was being booed for being a lousy QB.
So, he had no class to speak off, nor was he good enough that even in adversity he got booed. Nuff said!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Simple mind is simple.

BroncoLifer
02-09-2011, 02:18 PM
So, he had no class to speak off, nor was he good enough that even in adversity he got booed. Nuff said!

He made a mistake in a heat-of-the-moment situation. Read the article. He has more class than most people, particularly in the areas that truly matter most in life, i.e. not pro football.

errand
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM

got us closer to the big game than anyone else since Elway. but then again this is the mane where QB's who win games are maligned and other guys who throw the ball hard are applauded

Crushaholic
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Plummer was criticized for not being Elway...just like EVERY Broncos QB not named John Elway. For all those of you saying that the Broncos had a better running game and a defense, that's true. However, I wonder what "hot hand" Orton would have done, this year, with a better running game and defense...hmmm...

strafen
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM

What do I need to prove?
I saw what you;ve seen.
Tell me what is it that you've seen that makes you wet about Orton or Plummer.
Those guys suck. End of story. Just because they played for the Broncos, it doesn't mean have to look at things thru the orange-colored glasses like you do.
I believe what I see. I can promise you neither Orton nor Plummer are/were good QB's
Why do you think Shanahan benched Plummer in favor of Cutler?
Furthermore, why did Shanahan draft Cutler while Plummer still had years left to play?

errand
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM

...and Jay Cutler wasn't?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:25 PM
What do I need to prove?
I saw what you;ve seen.
Tell me what is it that you've seen that makes you wet about Orton or Plummer.
Those guys suck. End of story. Just because they played for the Broncos, it doesn't mean have to look at things thru the orange-colored glasses like you do.
I believe what I see. I can promise you neither Orton nor Plummer are/were good QB's
Why do you think Shanahan benched Plummer in favor of Cutler?
Furthermore, why did Shanahan draft Cutler while Plummer still had years left to play?

You're really going to defend Shanahan's drafting philosophy? Interesting.

Shanahan drafting Cutler was the beginning of the end for Shanahan. Period. There, I said it.

Considering the W/L record WITH Plummer and the W/L record SINCE him, I defy you to try and show how it was a good move to take two first round picks and move up to draft a quarterback when we'd hosted the AFC Championship Game a mere three months prior.

HILife
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Thought you guys might want to read a really good profile of The Snake. I think it really shows the makeup behind the man, and shows how the friendship with and loss of Pat Tillman formed his persona.

Your boyfriend's name is johnson?

strafen
02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
...and Jay Cutler wasn't?So this is your best take to make a point?
Brilliant. Just brilliant!

Ok, here we go...
About McDaniels?

Your choice. Do we make this thread now Orton/Plummer vs. Cutler?
About McDaniels vs. Shanahan?

We're talking Plummer here numbskull!
And Cutler is interception prone, and I could care less.

strafen
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Your boyfriend's name is johnson?
Ouch!!! ROFL! Ha! :wave: :yayaya: Hilarious! Ha!

Arkie
02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Now remember Jake's offensive line: Erick Pears at LT and George Foster at RT.

He was scrambling for his life all the time.

Jay Cutler took over the same team and had a worst record when he was supposedly the superior player.

Gotta give the Snake credit. His teammates played hard for him and they had success on the field.

That's the key. They were winners under Plummer going 9-2 in 2003, 10-6 in 2004, 13-3 in 2005, 7-4 in 2006.

oubronco
02-09-2011, 02:35 PM

No Shyt

Jason in LA
02-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Bronco fans tend to give credit where it's due. And with Plummer under center we won WAY more games than we lost. Yes, we had a good defense. Yes, we had a good running game. What's a good running game without a good passing game? What's a good defense if you can't score points?

I give the bulk of the credit to the defense and running game, and felt that at times those areas of the team overcame Plummer's weaknesses. Now I really liked Plummer in '05. That was the year that Shanahan put a leash on Plummer and allowed the running game and defense win for the Broncos. It's like Shanahan limited Plummer's involvement, and it was probably Plummer's best year. What does that say for a QB, that the coach has to limit him so the team will be better?

Was Plummer a good leader? I'd say hell yes. The team loved him and that type of thing makes them play harder. Was Plummer a good QB? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. He was his best when he wasn't getting in the way of a win. When he had too much involvement things didn't turn out so well.

UberBroncoMan
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Plummer was pretty much the anti-Cutler, as a person.

oubronco
02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
And you got to love Plummers left handed throws

gunns
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM

And only one playoff win in spite of Jake.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I give the bulk of the credit to the defense and running game, and felt that at times those areas of the team overcame Plummer's weaknesses. Now I really liked Plummer in '05. That was the year that Shanahan put a leash on Plummer and allowed the running game and defense win for the Broncos. It's like Shanahan limited Plummer's involvement, and it was probably Plummer's best year. What does that say for a QB, that the coach has to limit him so the team will be better?

Was Plummer a good leader? I'd say hell yes. The team loved him and that type of thing makes them play harder. Was Plummer a good QB? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. He was his best when he wasn't getting in the way of a win. When he had too much involvement things didn't turn out so well.

Ironically, I have always felt that Shanahan limited Plummer even more in '06. The game planning wasn't nearly as complete in '06 as it was in '05 when Plummer was at his best, and I think it had a lot to do with Shanahan being distracted by a new toy.

The difference in passing numbers isn't even that great between '04 (Plummer's best statistical season for yards and touchdowns, when he threw 20 picks) and '05 (Plummer's best season as a pro, when he limited his mistakes, won more games, threw fewer picks and fewer touchdowns). 65 (or so) fewer attempts in '05 than in '04. Five or so fewer attempts per game is "putting the leash on"?

His numbers fell WAY off in '06. Distressed by a backup who Shanahan wanted to play the whole time, and having been given a game plan that was strictly "don't make any plays, check down, roll out, **** off," I think he was frustrated with the situation and finally called it quits. The guy is competitive by nature, and I think he was effin' PISSED that his coach would pull that **** after being one of the key cogs in a Championship Game run.

I think you'd be pissed too. There was literally no way for Plummer to come out of that situation on top. He wasn't going to beat out the rookie with the stronger arm, regardless of his performance, because the coach just gave up the farm to get him. He wasn't given a good game plan to win games all year. And he was told to play outside his comfort zone, i.e. don't make plays.

I greatly respect and appreciate the time that Jake Plummer spent in Denver. I was sorry to see him go.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Astounding.

How does a team go 39-15 in the regular season in spite of their quarterback?

Rigs11
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
What is this fascination that people with having the QB to do it all?

1.We won with plummer but it was because of the D and run game.
2.We lose with Cutler but then it's because we had no D and no run game.
3.We lose with Orton but it's because of him, despite having no D and run game.

schaaf
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I was just thinking earlier this season how nice it was to watch Jake play when I was watching Orton towards the later part of the season

Pontius Pirate
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM

So by that token Tom Brady had little to do with New Englands success last year.

Pontius Pirate
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM

And in return you got a QB who pouted in the sideline and frowned at everything. Give me the guy who gets fired up and flips people off any day of the week.

Smilin Assassin
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to be on record as being a Jake supporter.

I like the guy. He made it easy to root for him.

For whatever reason, Griese, Cutler and Orton have failed to energize me like Jake did. Sure, I always wanted them to win, as they were Broncos, but...not the same.

Tebow gives me that same entusiasm.

TheReverend
02-09-2011, 03:29 PM

You should consider changing your avy before someone gets sensitive and you have to.

Taco John
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2185/jakeplummerjakellhide.jpg

When Jake played good, the team played good. When Jake played bad, the team acted like a beat dog. Except once, when they took us to the AFCC despite Jake trying to give the game away.

robbieopperude
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I liked the moved by Shanahan to get Cutler even though I wanted Halati Ngata at the time. I really think Shanny should have came out after the draft and said this guy we just drafted could be really good in a few years. We are looking at three years down the road when Jake is a little older and ready to move on. Then we groom Jay for 3 years. Jay stays hungry instead of becoming nonchalant and we fight for the playoffs for the next couple of years while drafting in the 20's or so. We wouldn't have a premier OT likely but you never know what happens when you get Hot in the playoffs and Shanny is still probably coaching here.

Orange4Life
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I support Jake. Shannys move to draft cutler was one of the worst decisions in the history of the franchise and was the beginning of the **** storm we are currently in.

Pontius Pirate
02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
This quote towards the end from Gruden is great:

Reached in December as rumors swirled that he might take over the 49ers, Gruden chuckled. "Good old Jake the Snake," he said. "If I got the Snake, I might still be coaching. He definitely walked away from the game too soon."

Archer81
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
2005 starter at left tackle was Matt Lepsis, not Eric Pears. Whoever said that earlier in the thread.

Jake was a good QB. He had physical limitations but the Broncos were actually a consistent playoff team. Wish the dude no ill will. He did the best he could, helped get us to the AFCC game. But I would not call that particular stretch of time "great". It was good, not great.

:Broncos:

Chris
02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Liked this quote

What is beauty? Is beauty a pretty face, a nice smile, flowing hair, nice skin? Not to me, it's not. To me beauty is living life to higher standards, stronger morals and ethics and believing in them, whether people tell you you're right or wrong. Beauty is not wasting a day. Beauty is noticing life's little intricacies and taking time out of your busy day to really enjoy those little intricacies. Beauty is being real, being genuine, being pure with no facade—what you see is what you get. Beauty is expanding your mind, always seeking knowledge, not being content, always going after something and challenging yourself.

broncosteven
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Getting one game from the Superbowl is spinnning your wheels.....ROFL!

What does that make Cutler then?

broncosteven
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Vintage Jake:

"I didn't study the game plan, I didn't have a clue what was going on."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/2/index.htm#ixzz1DVnIZr00

I was at the 2006 SF game, Walker did get tripped up but that pass had FAIL all over it, the deep safety saw it and came over in time to make the play. McPherson was right he shouldn't have made that throw. They didn't mention that Shanny ran a QB draw because he was afraid Jake would throw an INT.

It is nice that he loved Pat but Jake was never the same after he was killed. Throw in the fact that he didn't want to lead the team in offseason drills I don't see how you could support a guy who didn't want to lead his team.

Plummer was great outside the pocket but when teams took away the boot they nullified him. Same thing happened to Grossman when teams started pressuring him up the A gaps he went from starting in the SB to sitting behind Orton.

db56
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
The old mastermind gave the snake the same screwin he has given everybody since old #7 left town.

he threw Griese in before he was ready mentally or physically and scarred him for life.

brought in the snake and under Kubiak, designed the offense around him and he led us to the AFCG during his second year in the offense, then drafted a qb when we needed defense, hired a new OC who changed the offense and when he didnt go undefeated, benched him for the rookie when the team was still in playoff contention.

no wonder Jake said F it..

BlaK-Argentina
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
That was a great article.

Jake was ****ing awesome, I could care less what everyone else thinks. He was so exciting to watch and we won a hell of a lot of games with him under center.

ColoradoDarin
02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Another pro-Jake here. I was so excited in 2006 draft when we moved up and Ngata was on the board only to hear "The Broncos select quarterback......"

Oh well, water, bridge, etc. I'm pumped about the Tebow/Fox era now.

broncosteven
02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
The old mastermind gave the snake the same screwin he has given everybody since old #7 left town.

he threw Griese in before he was ready mentally or physically and scarred him for life.

brought in the snake and under Kubiak, designed the offense around him and he led us to the AFCG during his second year in the offense, then drafted a qb when we needed defense, hired a new OC who changed the offense and when he didnt go undefeated, benched him for the rookie when the team was still in playoff contention.

You are misinformed, reread Fatist's book "A few seconds of Panic" specificly the last paragraph on page 233. Check out page 316 also.

Griese had the same problem that plagued Jake after Tillman died, he didn't live and breathe football.

Back to 2006 do you even remember the cluster F that was Jakes last start vs KFC?

Jake could have taken the Cutler draft as a challenge and worked hard to keep his job but he gave up on his career, his teammates, us fans.

Maybe he could have skated by if he were a FB or DL but not at QB where you have to lead by example to win.

broncosteven
02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Another pro-Jake here. I was so excited in 2006 draft when we moved up and Ngata was on the board only to hear "The Broncos select quarterback......"

Oh well, water, bridge, etc. I'm pumped about the Tebow/Fox era now.

I wonder if Ngata would have been able to excel under Slowick.

Shoemaker
02-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Would Coyer have gotten fired if we had drafted Ngata?

ColoradoDarin
02-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Doubtful we even get to Slowik, I bet Coyer doesn't get fired...

Edit: Shoemaker beat me to it!

Wes Mantooth
02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't care. Jake was fun to watch. We went in on a Monday night and beat the Colts on the road, almost got to a Superbowl, won a good deal of games. It was a good time.

theAPAOps5
02-09-2011, 08:37 PM
You know I always said I despised how Jake just quit when they drafted Cutler. After reading that and looking back I have a lot more respect for the guy.

Good for him he is living life rather than wanting to live life.

Kid A
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I think it was ex-Bears QB Jim McMahon I heard say that he hasn't followed the NFL almost at all since retiring. Just doesn't really like football. Sounds like blasphemy at first, as the article pointed out, to a nation of male football fans who would kill to play QB in the NFL. But you have to realize some of these guys were just good athletes in high school who happened to be good at playing QB and happened to make a career of it.

ro_50
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm a big Jake Plummer guy. I like the way he is as a leader and person off the field.

If he would've some semblance of a work ethic like Manning (not as hard core obviously) -- he could've been even better than he was, even though he was damn good enough for me when he was with Denver.

I do miss him.

Archedamian
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Just wanted to be on record as being a Jake supporter.

I like the guy. He made it easy to root for him.

For whatever reason, Griese, Cutler and Orton have failed to energize me like Jake did. Sure, I always wanted them to win, as they were Broncos, but...not the same.

Tebow gives me that same entusiasm.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Vintage Jake:

"I didn't study the game plan, I didn't have a clue what was going on."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/2/index.htm#ixzz1DVnIZr00

I was at the 2006 SF game, Walker did get tripped up but that pass had FAIL all over it, the deep safety saw it and came over in time to make the play. McPherson was right he shouldn't have made that throw. They didn't mention that Shanny ran a QB draw because he was afraid Jake would throw an INT.

It is nice that he loved Pat but Jake was never the same after he was killed. Throw in the fact that he didn't want to lead the team in offseason drills I don't see how you could support a guy who didn't want to lead his team.

Plummer was great outside the pocket but when teams took away the boot they nullified him. Same thing happened to Grossman when teams started pressuring him up the A gaps he went from starting in the SB to sitting behind Orton.

He wasn't playing in that game, and wasn't expecting to be playing. He was done with Shanahan because of his bull**** treatment of the whole situation. Tough ****, Mike.

Jake actually had his best seasons immediately after Tillman's death. Most yards and touchdowns of his career in '04, playoff birth, followed by the first playoff win in 6 years for our team and a home AFC Championship Game.

And you don't see why someone would support him? Maybe his 39-15 record? Exciting plays? Scoring points? Winning games? None of that does anything for you, huh?

I agree with you on Jake and the boot. Teams figured he was about 3/4 strength if he had to stay in the pocket, and when they figured out how to do that consistently, they were able to stop him. He wasn't a perfect quarterback. In case you haven't noticed, there aren't many of those. Almost every player has a flaw; Plummer's was being forced to throw from the pocket. He was still an integral part of our team's success in those years, and I appreciate what he brought to this organization. I wish he was still playing.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
You are misinformed, reread Fatist's book "A few seconds of Panic" specificly the last paragraph on page 233. Check out page 316 also.

Griese had the same problem that plagued Jake after Tillman died, he didn't live and breathe football.

Back to 2006 do you even remember the cluster F that was Jakes last start vs KFC?

Jake could have taken the Cutler draft as a challenge and worked hard to keep his job but he gave up on his career, his teammates, us fans.

Maybe he could have skated by if he were a FB or DL but not at QB where you have to lead by example to win.

Or Mike could have taken the fact that we won 13 games and hosted the conference championship game as a sign that maybe we should ACTUALLY fix the defense this time and that MAYBE for the first time since Elway retired, we really WERE one or two guys away.

Mike could have taken that, picked defense or traded the same two picks in the first to grab Ngata, a player we NEEDED. As opposed to taking a strong-armed, weak-willed quarterback WHO HE HADN'T WORKED OUT PRIOR TO THE DRAFT... OR EVEN SPOKEN WITH.

Cutler was the 11th pick in the draft. We traded two first rounders to get him. You honestly think Jake had a chance in hell of keeping his job with the new Shanahan plaything around? The minute Shanahan picked Cutler, he was looking for a way to start him. Jake didn't have a chance.

listopencil
02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Yep.

Arkie
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM

To be fair, it's the only playoff win post-Elway. The year before we lost a playoff game because the defense couldn't force the Colts to punt. This was despite Jake's 70% completion rate, and 104 QB rating. The team has strengths and weaknesses that may pop up on any given sunday, but the level of average team play was raised under Jake which is why the team could play good despite an off-day by Jake.

lostknight
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
A couple of interesting notes that are not getting as much play. One is that the article mentions that Jake had decided to retire "halfway thru the season before." In other words, halfway through the 2005 season. If that's the case, does anyone still criticize Shanahan for drafting a QB? If Jake mentioned that, even is passing, or thought that, there is absolutely no reason to give Mike any grief about the pick. He clearly picked the best quarterback available that year to replace him.

NFL isn't a game, it's a business that sells games. Not showing up to workouts, and not having a clue what is in the playbook, is unacceptable. I get that Jake wants to be a hippie free-spirit, but he wasn't doing what any employee has a right to expect their employees to do - their job. The author fell in love with Jake the person, and let it influence their piece - no mention of the radical collapse in Jake's performance, and when addressing the basic things that someone getting paid $7 a hour would get fired for, makes excuses for a $6 million dollar a year player.

Vic made a great point on the ticket this morning. Jake told the truth, and hated the media and the press coverage. Vic thought that part of the reason that Cutler has suffered is a lot because he did the same types of things that Jake did (although in fairness, I can't see Cutler flipping off fans in the stands). If we want to condemn Jay for his attitude, and just not caring, why not extend it to Jake?

As nice a person as Jake may be, He proved that he really didn't give a damn about his job, and if I am his boss, I might be inclined to replace him - especially if he had already decided to retire.

2KBack
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
A couple of interesting notes that are not getting as much play. One is that the article mentions that Jake had decided to retire "halfway thru the season before."

Where is this written? the article says that by the SF game that Jake ahd decided to retire after the season. Nothing is mentioned about it being the season before.

I just did a search on the article, you are completely making up quotes. I guess we know your bias

lostknight
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
i got the quote wrong:
And he talks of how, if the Broncos had won it all in 2006, when he was having "a blast," he says, "I would have been on a jet plane, gone—that would have been a great way to leave." (Plummer says he made the actual decision to quit midway through that season.)

I read it as 2005. Mea Culpa. But other then that, **** you 2KBack. There is no reason for you to attack me personally. Jake gave in long before the season started. As a employer, a director of a fairly large software firm, I would fire anyone who didn't believe in doing their job.

2KBack
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
i got the quote wrong:
And he talks of how, if the Broncos had won it all in 2006, when he was having "a blast," he says, "I would have been on a jet plane, gone—that would have been a great way to leave." (Plummer says he made the actual decision to quit midway through that season.)

I read it as 2005. Mea Culpa. But other then that, **** you 2KBack. There is no reason for you to attack me personally. Jake gave in long before the season started. As a employer, a director of a fairly large software firm, I would fire anyone who didn't believe in doing their job.

how did i attack you personally? I rightfully showed that you were wrong about the quote. Quote meaning, you know, it has to have been said or written. then I called you biased.

I see no attack....you know...like cursing at you or anything.

lostknight
02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
how did i attack you personally? I rightfully showed that you were wrong about the quote. Quote meaning, you know, it has to have been said or written. then I called you biased.

I see no attack....you know...like cursing at you or anything.

You accused me of making things up to support my "biases."

Be civil, and you won't have people cursing you out.

2KBack
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
You accused me of making things up to support my "biases."

Be civil, and you won't have people cursing you out.

You have got to be kidding me. My post was perfectly fine, don't get so bent out of shape about having your mistakes being called out. Your entire post was based on a quote that you got wrong. Pointing that out is not uncivil, neither is ascertaining that, since you were arguing your side based on a false quote, that you were reading in search of something to support your own biases.

bronco militia
02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
the jake plummer story again?!?1?!

http://jake-plummer-news.newslib.com/

epicSocialism4tw
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

No doubt.

He shed those whiny Broncos fans like dandruff.

TomServo
02-13-2011, 02:07 AM
F-jake plummer. baby jay gets crap for getting hurt in an AFCG-just like elway did once and hes the devil. plummer quits football even tho he has No career ending injury and hes a hero? F-you jake for being gutless. go play handball you gutless p r ick.
when the broncos played the cardinals at the end of that crappy season i "wanted jake" too. you came, you made the playoffs and..........you QUIT.

TomServo
02-13-2011, 02:19 AM
i posted before how elway didnt pout when reeves drafted maddox. brees didnt quit when the chargers drafted rivers. even deberg didnt give up when the broncos drafted elway.
but poor, poor, jake. he didnt want to prove anyone wrong. he gave up.

dsmoot
02-13-2011, 06:23 AM

Jake was not perfect. Then who is. I really believed he gave it his best in Denver. Defenses were definitely setting up daring Jake to throw from the pocket. At the time (and now), I really didn't think Jake was the guy who was going to put Denver back into serious Superbowl contention year in and year out. So, when Cutler was drafted with his obvious physical skills, it was understandable at the time. Too bad Cutler proved to be less than we all hoped for.

When Shanahan replaced Jake when Denver was 7-4 and still had an opportunity, it was a serious mistake although I didn't necessarily believe it at the time. That decision and the timing of the Brister/Griese decision were two high risk decisions that backfired on Shanahan.

I don't think Shanahan is/was particularly skilled in uniquely handling people to get the best out of them. We have all seen the autocratic supervisors who are not self aware and do more to suck the life out of people, never receiving that extra discretionary level of performance. I think it ultimately contributed to his downfall along with the general manager level mistakes.

I am so happy for Jake for where he is in life, having a loving wife and young boy, family and plenty of friends. He seems like a person we all would like to call a friend. I was inspired by the article that here is a person who has lives by good values, is humble and gives of himself for others. It really defines a blessed life.

gunns
02-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Nice take. I really liked Plummer, the person. I was one that loved that he flipped off someone or the whole crowd. I admired his devotion to his friend, Tillman and his risk to wear his number because that was more important to him than as you said, clumsy traditions. I also said bravo when he stuck to his retirement instead of using it as leverage. And, while he frustrated me as the Broncos QB, I always felt he came out and did all he could to help the team win.

As a Bronco fan, however, it makes my skin crawl when someone insinuates we would have been better off with him and that 40-17, or whatever it was, with him was something to crow about. I give credit to the defense for the years Plummer was here, but I did like the guy.

Arkie
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Jake was not perfect. Then who is. I really believed he gave it his best in Denver. Defenses were definitely setting up daring Jake to throw from the pocket. At the time (and now), I really didn't think Jake was the guy who was going to put Denver back into serious Superbowl contention year in and year out. So, when Cutler was drafted with his obvious physical skills, it was understandable at the time. Too bad Cutler proved to be less than we all hoped for.

When Shanahan replaced Jake when Denver was 7-4 and still had an opportunity, it was a serious mistake although I didn't necessarily believe it at the time. That decision and the timing of the Brister/Griese decision were two high risk decisions that backfired on Shanahan.

I don't think Shanahan is/was particularly skilled in uniquely handling people to get the best out of them. We have all seen the autocratic supervisors who are not self aware and do more to suck the life out of people, never receiving that extra discretionary level of performance. I think it ultimately contributed to his downfall along with the general manager level mistakes.

I am so happy for Jake for where he is in life, having a loving wife and young boy, family and plenty of friends. He seems like a person we all would like to call a friend. I was inspired by the article that here is a person who has lives by good values, is humble and gives of himself for others. It really defines a blessed life.

People thought that was one of Shanahan's strengths when the Broncos were successful. He has a background in psychology. He treated each player differently because he knew what buttons to push.

TheReverend
02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
People thought that was one of Shanahan's strengths when the Broncos were successful. He has a background in psychology. He treated each player differently because he knew what buttons to push.

Yeah that statement was asinine... If he really believed that, it'd be easy to assemble a list of players who played better outside of Denver, instead of the other way around which was MUCH more prevalent, especially since his post is mainly regarding Jake Plummer, who was a borderline terrible QB until he arrived in Denver.

Meck77
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Things were so bad in Denver before Jake got to town you were hard pressed to even find someone wearing a Bronco hat. Seriously. Jake rolled into town and instantly pumped energy into training camp, the team, the organization, the stadium and the city of Denver. Those were some fun years to be a Bronco fan....

Bronco Vixen
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
meh. A little extolling for my taste. I do not think Plummer was a horrible person or a horrible QB, but he absolutely was a flake in my book - both on and off the field. In many ways, a true contradiction through and through. Some beautiful gutsy plays on the field coupled with some horrible cocky decision-making that cost games; some valiant selfless personal gestures off the field with respect to his charitable contributions and his obvious love and respect for his fallen friend, and some really sh*tty selfish decision-making off the field (literally leaving his fiance at the alter). The article generally glosses over and completely omits some of his "finer" personal moments. I think he could have handled himself and the opportunity that very few will ever get with a little more maturity and class than he did. But then again, none of us is perfect - but let's not forget that and look only through rose colored history glasses.

Popps
02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Things were so bad in Denver before Jake got to town you were hard pressed to even find someone wearing a Bronco hat. Seriously. Jake rolled into town and instantly pumped energy into training camp, the team, the organization, the stadium and the city of Denver. Those were some fun years to be a Bronco fan....

Seriously.

I hope those days return. I think Tebow can bring back that spark that left with Jake. (Along with the wins that left with him.)

The guy was 40 and 15 as a starter for this team. People can spin that any way they want, but I'll always be grateful to Jake for the wins and the excitement of those years.

Just read the article yesterday. It's a good read.

Thanks for the memories, Jake!

epicSocialism4tw
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Seriously.

I hope those days return. I think Tebow can bring back that spark that left with Jake. (Along with the wins that left with him.)

The guy was 40 and 15 as a starter for this team. People can spin that any way they want, but I'll always be grateful to Jake for the wins and the excitement of those years.

Just read the article yesterday. It's a good read.

Thanks for the memories, Jake!

No doubt.

Bob's your Information Minister
02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Why do articles keep getting written about this has-been?

Why?

He's a freaking nobody. He's not even involved in the sports world.

It's like he's become more popular after his retirement.

Bob's your Information Minister
02-13-2011, 02:40 PM
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2185/jakeplummerjakellhide.jpg

I swear to god I made that cross-eyed photoshop a few years back.

KipCorrington25
02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
I read the piece, I'll get ripped here but after reading it I still think it was the right choice to nudge him out... He basically admits his heart wasn't in it, he quite studying the game plan, he was going to retire anyway in a couple years etc. after he was benched.

Honestly, it's the NFL, that's fine in your 9 to 5 if you want to mail it in because you disagree with the boss but he was paid quite a bit to be on point 24/7.

To truely be a great you either have to have superman athletics like a Lawrence Taylor or you have to be almost OCD or obsessed with winning. He was neither, he admits football wasn't his life, and sorry, for 20 million or whatever it has to be.

He's just kind of a slacker, alcoholic loser that wants to drink and play foosball or handball or whatever with his high school buddies.

Don't get me wrong he's 50 times the QB as Orton but after it's all said and done he had a decent run here but it wasn't going to go any further than it did with or without Cutler taking over.

epicSocialism4tw
02-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I read the piece, I'll get ripped here but after reading it I still think it was the right choice to nudge him out... He basically admits his heart wasn't in it, he quite studying the game plan, he was going to retire anyway in a couple years etc. after he was benched.

Honestly, it's the NFL, that's fine in your 9 to 5 if you want to mail it in because you disagree with the boss but he was paid quite a bit to be on point 24/7.

To truely be a great you either have to have superman athletics like a Lawrence Taylor or you have to be almost OCD or obsessed with winning. He was neither, he admits football wasn't his life, and sorry, for 20 million or whatever it has to be.

He's just kind of a slacker, alcoholic loser that wants to drink and play foosball or handball or whatever with his high school buddies.

Don't get me wrong he's 50 times the QB as Orton but after it's all said and done he had a decent run here but it wasn't going to go any further than it did with or without Cutler taking over.

If our defense had a pass rush and held up against the Steelers' run game, Plummer would have likely been a super bowl champion.

Champagne Powder
02-13-2011, 04:14 PM
What an ungrateful sob.

Before Plummer came to Denver, he was considered a big time bust. In six years with Arizona, Plummer went 30-52 as a starter and posted a 90 TD/114 INT ratio.

Shanahan helped Plummer become a top 10 NFL QB from 2003-05 and the team went to the playoffs three straight years.

If it weren't for Shanahan, Plummer would have never been relevant in the NFL.

TheReverend
02-13-2011, 04:17 PM
What an ungrateful sob.

Before Plummer came to Denver, he was considered a big time bust. In six years with Arizona, Plummer went 30-52 as a starter and posted a 90 TD/114 INT ratio.

Shanahan helped Plummer become a top 10 NFL QB from 2003-05 and the team went to the playoffs three straight years.

If it weren't for Shanahan, Plummer would have never been relevant in the NFL.

I love Jake Plummer but this is completely accurate.

strafen
02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
What an ungrateful sob.

If it weren't for Shanahan, Plummer would have never been relevant in the NFL.^This...

Rascal
02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Glad Plummer is happy and that he lives life how he wants.

Rascal
02-13-2011, 05:27 PM

lol

gunns
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
If our defense had a pass rush and held up against the Steelers' run game, Plummer would have likely been a super bowl champion.

Because of the defense.

ZachKC
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
That is quite a read.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Because of the defense.

Don't you mean "in spite of Plummer"? Because, you know, we won 13 games that year.

lol

TheReverend
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't you mean "in spite of Plummer"? Because, you know, we won 13 games that year.

lol

I would hope no one would say that. Great defense, redzone turnovers and 2500+ yards rushing will do wonders, but Jake had his moments of genius that year too.

Gort
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM

this.

i said it at the time... the death of Tillman affected him alot more than we probably realized. i think Plummer realized that life was too short to deal with Shanny's BS anymore. he had plenty of money by 2006 and when Shanny drafted Cutler, i think he saw the writing on the wall and decided he was ready to walk away from the game at that point.

i considered him to be a reckless with the football and there are things about Plummer that i really didn't like (his animosity towards the Denver fans being one of them), but i always thought that Plummer was an above average QB who had another 6-8 years ahead of him as a journeyman veteran backup if he wanted to keep playing. but he chose to go play handball. i just think he was ready to move to on to the next chapter in his life.

Missouribronc
02-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Tillman's death and Shanahan's stupidity is why we are where we are.

Jake Plummer is a good dude, and a good QB. Shanahan ****ed that up for an immature piece of crap QB.

TheReverend
02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
this.

i said it at the time... the death of Tillman affected him alot more than we probably realized. i think Plummer realized that life was too short to deal with Shanny's BS anymore. he had plenty of money by 2006 and when Shanny drafted Cutler, i think he saw the writing on the wall and decided he was ready to walk away from the game at that point.

i considered him to be a reckless with the football and there are things about Plummer that i really didn't like (his animosity towards the Denver fans being one of them), but i always thought that Plummer was an above average QB who had another 6-8 years ahead of him as a journeyman veteran backup if he wanted to keep playing. but he chose to go play handball. i just think he was ready to move to on to the next chapter in his life.

Very strong post. Repped man, great one.

Taco John
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Love that this guy will forever be remembered for walking away from societies clumsy traditions and achievements for the sake of living life the.way it should be done.

I think this is a hilarious spin on quitting on your teammates in the middle of the season and leaving the league with your tail between your legs.

OldschoolFreak
02-13-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree with the earlier poster who mentioned that Plummer and Tebow bring a similar excitement to the game. I loved watching Jake play and finally got a similar familiar but long lost feeling a bit late this season when Tebow took over for Orton. It really made me realize how boring the Cutler/Orton years were.

Here's to hoping Tebow keeps bringing that gameday excitement for years to come.

On a personal note. I can't think of another NFL player I'd prefer to have a beer with.

Gort
02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Very strong post. Repped man, great one.

i wrote that before i read the SI article. then i read the SI article and it confirmed what i'd thought for the past few years. i think it was a fair portrayal of the guy. he is a bit of a free spirit. he does have a problem with authority. he was deeply affected by Tillman's death. it all added up to a guy who probably didn't live and breathe football, except for those 3 hours on game day, having a hard time dealing with an overbearing HC. it's hard to fault him for moving on.

Gort
02-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I think this is a hilarious spin on quitting on your teammates in the middle of the season and leaving the league with your tail between your legs.

i think you're being too hard on the guy. he didn't hold out for more money. he didn't throw a hissy fit and refuse to take Bowlen's phone calls. he didn't demand a trade. he just lost his desire to play the game anymore.

i'm not a huge Plummer fan.... but i don't hate the guy either. i just think by mid-2006 he was done with it and wanted to do something else with his life. it's hard to call that quitting. in some ways, he reminds me of Ricky Williams. they are guys during their playing days who started looking for more meaning to their lives than just being NFL players. unlike alot of ex-NFL players who live the rest of their lives trying to relive past glories.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-14-2011, 05:44 AM
i think you're being too hard on the guy. he didn't hold out for more money. he didn't throw a hissy fit and refuse to take Bowlen's phone calls. he didn't demand a trade. he just lost his desire to play the game anymore.

i'm not a huge Plummer fan.... but i don't hate the guy either. i just think by mid-2006 he was done with it and wanted to do something else with his life. it's hard to call that quitting. in some ways, he reminds me of Ricky Williams. they are guys during their playing days who started looking for more meaning to their lives than just being NFL players. unlike alot of ex-NFL players who live the rest of their lives trying to relive past glories.

That's a poor comparison. Ricky wanted to quit so he could hang out all day, smoke pot and do yoga. Jake wanted to quit so he could hang out with his wife, kids, family, friends, and do things for his community.

Kind of a big difference.

Agree with you on everything else though.

Rock Chalk
02-14-2011, 09:59 AM

I dont recall any playoff victories with any of the other QBs post Elway at the helm.

In fact, I dont recall any playoff APPEARANCES with any QBs post Plummer.

Just saying.

TheReverend
02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I dont recall any playoff victories with any of the other QBs post Elway at the helm.

In fact, I dont recall any playoff APPEARANCES with any QBs post Plummer.

Just saying.

I loves me some Plummer, but this isn't fair and you know it. The defense broke with Al Wilson and you're very aware of that and his significance to the team considering the rant thread you made at the time.

Gort
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Ricky wanted to quit so he could hang out all day, smoke pot and do yoga.

i don't think that's really accurate about Ricky Williams. he seemed to me to have been searching for something more meaningful to live for than the NFL. he's not your typical pothead. i think he's been smoking pot as a means to some sort of enlightenment. i personally consider that whole philosophy to be misguided, but Rastafarians and others think it's an important part of their search for meaning and truth. so i don't think smoking pot was his goal.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/2010/04/behind_the_scenes_of_the_new_ricky_williams_docume ntary.php

2KBack
02-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I loves me some Plummer, but this isn't fair and you know it. The defense broke with Al Wilson and you're very aware of that and his significance to the team considering the rant thread you made at the time.

Not really the point I think his response was trying to make. I mean look at what Rock was responding to.

TheReverend
02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Not really the point I think his response was trying to make. I mean look at what Rock was responding to.

Two asinine statements don't make an accurate one.

2KBack
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Two asinine statements don't make an accurate one.

They are both accurate, just superficial

Circle Orange
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Now, stop picking on Jake. Just because he didn't burn to be great doesn't mean he sucked!

Well actually, he did, kinda. A little. I remember Shanahan calling around 24 rollouts a game.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Now, stop picking on Jake. Just because he didn't burn to be great doesn't mean he sucked!

Well actually, he did, kinda. A little. I remember Shanahan calling around 24 rollouts a game.

39-15. Sucked.

You're neat. I bet you're the smartest kid on the short bus.

Pontius Pirate
02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
http://wtfhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/haters-gonna-hate-monkey.jpg

The "jake was great vs. jake sucked" argument will never die. I learned awhile ago not to try and convince others that jake was good. No matter what, people who hated jake seem to be holding on to their opinion no matter what.

You bring up the playoffs, his record, and the fact that he still has the best rating of any Broncos QB in the past 10 years (and had some stats that were Elway-esque), and it doesn't matter to the haters. These are the same type of fans that, if they were New England fans, probably say after Tom Brady throws an INT, "Should we draft a QB?"

Circle Orange
02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
39-15. Sucked.

You're neat. I bet you're the smartest kid on the short bus.

Here's a thought, then.

Why is Brady given all the credit for his 3 rings, but Aikman none of his?

Why is Montana given all the credit for his 4 rings, but Bradshaw none of his?

And yeah, Peyton manning has a losing record in the playoffs.8-10 I think it is now.

It's called perception, not reality. People pick and choose who they like, often for opposite reasons. You can pluck any statistical category to make someone look good OR bad.
39-15, eh? All by himself? but he's 0-1 in conference championships! See what hugging numbers gets ya! :sunshine:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Here's a thought, then.

Why is Brady given all the credit for his 3 rings, but Aikman none of his?

Why is Montana given all the credit for his 4 rings, but Bradshaw none of his?

And yeah, Peyton manning has a losing record in the playoffs.8-10 I think it is now.

It's called perception, not reality. People pick and choose who they like, often for opposite reasons. You can pluck any statistical category to make someone look good OR bad.
39-15, eh? All by himself? but he's 0-1 in conference championships! See what hugging numbers gets ya! :sunshine:

Where is Aikman not given credit for his three rings? ****, he won TWO SB MVP awards. He's in the hall of fame.

And where is Bradshaw maligned?

And are you seriously comparing Plummer to Bradshaw, Aikman and Manning?

**** son, you like him better than I do.

Of course it wasn't "all by himself." How'd we do AS SOON AS HE LEFT? Is that cherry picking numbers? Or do you think there might be SOME correlation, MAYBE?

Let's see... 24 games over .500... to a .500 team... to a sub-.500 team. You're right. Must have had nothing to do with the most important ****ing position on the field.

Strong take, circle jerk.

Flex Gunmetal
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
lol@Plummer haters.
These are the same people clamoring for whoever they deemed 'wrong for the broncos' to fail in order for their prophecies made here to be fulfilled.
Remember when we were winners?

Rigs11
02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
lol@Plummer haters.
These are the same people clamoring for whoever they deemed 'wrong for the broncos' to fail in order for their prophecies made here to be fulfilled.
Remember when we were winners?

this. everyone was clamoring for cutler to start..much the same way people are now clamoring for tebow to just be handed the job

BlaK-Argentina
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
this. everyone was clamoring for cutler to start..much the same way people are now clamoring for tebow to just be handed the job

To be fair (like I said I loved Jake) Plummer DID suck that year and IMO he was costing us games. He deserved to be benched because of his play on the field. That said we should have never drafter Cutler, and we could have been playing for a SB again in 06 WITH Plummer and a better D.

Oh well.

I still think that if Orton stays he should be given a fair chance to win the job. Give him protection and a good running game and he will win a lot of games for us IMO.

That said I still want to see Tebow. :wiggle:

Circle Orange
02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Where is Aikman not given credit for his three rings? ****, he won TWO SB MVP awards. He's in the hall of fame.

And where is Bradshaw maligned?

And are you seriously comparing Plummer to Bradshaw, Aikman and Manning?

**** son, you like him better than I do.

Of course it wasn't "all by himself." How'd we do AS SOON AS HE LEFT? Is that cherry picking numbers? Or do you think there might be SOME correlation, MAYBE?

Let's see... 24 games over .500... to a .500 team... to a sub-.500 team. You're right. Must have had nothing to do with the most important ****ing position on the field.

Strong take, circle jerk.

The thing I like is whenever people can't form a coherent or rational response, they resort to cutesy fanboy name calling and i-net cliches. First of all I like Jake as a person. I just believe he's not one of those type A personalities. There's nothing wrong with that. If you hadn't been so quick to respond without reading my comment, you'd use more logic. I never said anything about comparing Plummer to hof qbs,but you had a ready made answer and missed the point. So AGAIN will I go over this once more.

I used examples to state how people percieve the same facts differently. And no matter what you say, Aikman is NOT given the same play for his three rings outside of Dallas. Not by the media nor the "pundits. They have a hard on for Brady. Bradshaw was a dumb "hick" and Joe "cool" Montana was handsome, so his four rings meant more than Bradshaw's. Prejudice is everywhere. Ironically, the 49er players complained in turn that Bill Walsh got all the credit for their success. So people that use the argument about "winning rings" are full of hoo. Did Jake have a hand in that winning record? Sure. But again, people pick and choose. One qb gets all the credit, another gets none. People have convenient memories, too. Like repeating the same opinions instead of getting facts or forming their own. Jay Cutler was a pro bowl ALTERNATE yet everyone kept stating he was a starter, to give him gloss when he went to Chicago. And with offenses in the NFL now, its gonna be more diffcult to determine greatness just based on stat categories. A 1,000 yard receiver is run of the mill now.

BTW, I can't do a circle jerk 'cause I'm a girl. FYI tip, sugar plum.

TheReverend
02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
BTW, I can't do a circle jerk 'cause I'm a girl. FYI tip, sugar plum.

False. Watch more internet porn. I've seen it on more than one occasion.