PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets talking to Lakers about Melo/Bynum deal

TonyR
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
The Lakers and the Denver Nuggets have had preliminary discussions about a blockbuster trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to Los Angeles, according to league sources. The Lakers' package would be built around Andrew Bynum.

Talks are in the preliminary stages, but it appears that another option besides the New York Knicks has materialized for the Nuggets.

"There have been discussions between the two teams," one of the sources said. "The Lakers are definitely an option."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6101304

Ridiculous.

TDmvp
02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Yea seen this a min. ago and wondered what Denver fans thought.

Flex Gunmetal
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
"FisolaNYDN Frank Isola
Sources say that Jim Buss recently rejected a Bynum for Carmelo deal, much to the dismay of Kobe and Phil"

TonyR
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Yea seen this a min. ago and wondered what Denver fans thought.

I think they completely blew it not taking the deal they had over the summer or the deal New Jersey recently pulled off the table. They're going to get screwed now. I hope this is just a ploy to get other teams, primarily the Knicks, to increase their current offer.

Requiem
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Bynum can never stay healthy. Good reject.

BroncoDoug
02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah I don't get why they would want to make a conference foe better.... Trade him to the east

OBF1
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Denver is screwing the pooch with Melo. Personally there are not basketballs to go around if LA gets Melo with Kobe and Gasol on the team.

Gasol at Center
Odom and Melo at forward
Bryant and Fisher at G

Just does not excite me as a Laker fan.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Im gonna go ahead and say this aint evah gonna happen. Melo to Knicks, with Minne in the mix seems like a better bet.

worm
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Bynums length is a hard thing for the Lakers to trade away.

HAT
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Denver is screwing the pooch with Melo. Personally there are not basketballs to go around if LA gets Melo with Kobe and Gasol on the team.

Gasol at Center
Odom and Melo at forward
Bryant and Fisher at G

Just does not excite me as a Laker fan.

I'd welcome this in a heart beat. I like Bynum but I think it's obvious that he's never going to be the dominant big man that some thought was possible. Work ethic, health, desire just don't seem to be there for the kid.

I'm fine with Gasol at C for another year or two until we can figure out a way to get Dwight. ^5

schaaf
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
The nuggets need to get rid of him soon before they know it he's gonna walk right out the door and they won't have anything in return

Man-Goblin
02-08-2011, 01:20 PM
This is excellent news. Not that I would be excited about getting Bynum as a Nuggets fan. But the more teams get involved the more chance the Nuggets have of getting reasonable value in return. Having the Knicks as the only available option would have been a disaster.

Requiem
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Dwight Howard isn't leaving Orlando.

RhymesayersDU
02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
As a Nuggets fan I like this deal better than NY's deal but much less than NJ's deal. Really wish they would have pulled that trigger.

Obviously I have concerns over Bynum's health, but him + Nene is a lot of beef up front.

Requiem
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
LOL @ Nuggets fans liking this deal.

RhymesayersDU
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
It's certainly not ideal, but I like it relative to NY's proposed deal.

broncswin
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I think they completely blew it not taking the deal they had over the summer or the deal New Jersey recently pulled off the table. They're going to get screwed now. I hope this is just a ploy to get other teams, primarily the Knicks, to increase their current offer.

they have not blown anything...melo would not sign the extension for the nets

Kaylore
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Melo will walk for nothing. He only wants to go the Knicks and the Knicks know that and will just sit and wait. At this point they should just let him go even refusing a sign and trade to throw it back in his face so he has to take a pay cut.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM
wow this rumor was proved false many HOURS ago

RhymesayersDU
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah! HOURS ago!

DivineBronco
02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

oooo we gotta save this take

TonyR
02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
wow this rumor was proved false many HOURS ago

Please show us your "proof".

TonyR
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM

That's a fair point. I don't think we know this for certain but it's probably the case.

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
If this happens, I'm pulling a jhns.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Signed,
Shaquille O'Neil

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Please show us your "proof".

Don't count on Carmelo Anthony coming to Lakers
Comments (46) February 8, 2011 | 9:58 am

LAST update on la times.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
If this happens, I'm pulling a jhns.

You're going to bring up Melo in every thread you possibly can until the end of time?

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah! HOURS ago!

i know you are trying to be funny, but with nba trade deadline looming HOURS is an eternity, and it was proven false well before post was started.

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
You're going to bring up Melo in every thread you possibly can until the end of time?

And I'm going on a fire Masai Ujiri tirade.

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Can anyone tell me what the NJ Nets trade involved, what were the two teams wanting to trade, aside from Melo to NJN?

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Can anyone tell me what the NJ Nets trade involved, what were the two teams wanting to trade, aside from Melo to NJN?

Which version of the trade?

What also became clear is that Melo did not want to sign with the Nets long term, and really didn't want to play there in the short term, either, making the trade extremely difficult.

The Nuggets are just trying to get anything at this point.

**** Ujiri and **** the new ownership, Wal-Mart Lite.

Two of the best execs in the league couldn't get along, so these dumbasses pushed both of them out, instead of just one of them, and then hired Ujiri, who was essentially a lapdog for the GM in Toronto (if memory serves), and that started this mess.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
i know you are trying to be funny, but with nba trade deadline looming HOURS is an eternity, and it was proven false well before post was started.

Where you get that this is false is beyond me. I live in Los Angeles and it is on every sports talk show, all over the Lakers NBA website and on ESPN, but you continue to live in a world of rainbows and unicorns....

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

nets get-Rip Hamilton, melo, and chauncy
pistons get - Petro and T Murphy
nuggets get - 2 firsts, favors, d harris, a morrow, q ross, b uzoh and s graham

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Where you get that this is false is beyond me. I live in Los Angeles and it is on every sports talk show, all over the Lakers NBA website and on ESPN, but you continue to live in a world of rainbows and unicorns....

your own la times is stating its false, and has been ALL DAY

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
i mean think about it. how does this trade make ANY sense at all?

Would nuggs really trade him to strongest team in same conference?
Would Melo(drama) really want LA where he cant be the man?
Would Nuggets want bynum? we already have anderson nene and kenyon who account for a million missed games a season

it makes no sense on any front

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM

What also became clear is that Melo did not want to sign with the Nets long term, and really didn't want to play there in the short term, either, making the trade extremely difficult.

Two of the best execs in the league couldn't get along, so these dumbasses pushed both of them out, instead of just one of them, and then hired Ujiri, who was essentially a lapdog for the GM in Toronto (if memory serves), and that started this mess.

I didn't know there were 'versions' of the trade... I was just wondering the general parameters of the trade, who was involved or what whas involved. Melo seems to be making things harder on the Nuggets. I'm all for trading him to whoever makes the best trade offer.

maven
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Just make a move and send him away before the trade line.

maven
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

This is pretty much the entire problem. He will not sign a long-term contract. Unless it's the Knicks, maybe a team like LA, he will not sign an extension with anyone else. He's either going to be a short-term rental or traded to the knicks.

oubronco
02-08-2011, 03:42 PM
They were saying earlier that Melo bought a house in LA last year and thats where he mostly resides in the offseason

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I didn't know there were 'versions' of the trade... I was just wondering the general parameters of the trade, who was involved or what whas involved. Melo seems to be making things harder on the Nuggets. I'm all for trading him to whoever makes the best trade offer.

bfoflcommish had the latest version, the one Russian Mark Cuban pulled off the table with that public press conference.

There were a couple of other ones, all centered around Favors, though.

Detroit was a new party in it, and I believe that the Nuggets had tried to involve Utah and Charlotte in a trade before the season, that would have included AK-47 going to Denver, along with Favors.

There was also a rumored possibility of Memphis getting involved with O.J. Mayo, where they get Favors and Denver gets Mayo and maybe even Rudy Gay (I think...going off memory).

There's been a number of them discussed. Whether any of those deals were ever actually on the table, I don't know.

But...it all hinged on whether Russian Mark Cuban and Jay-Z could convince Melo to tough it out for two years in Jersey before they moved to Brooklyn, and it looks like Melo wanted no part in that.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 03:47 PM
They were saying earlier that Melo bought a house in LA last year and thats where he mostly resides in the offseason

i dont buy much into that, many players reside other places other than where they play, or want to play fulltime.

I would not be surprised to see nuggets just sit and hold him and get nothing in return. Will that happen probably not, they will try to get something decent (see favors, harris and 2 1sts in nets deal). but if they trade him for peanuts, the will lose ticket sales, games, etc...

they may play wait and hold him and see what unfold at end of season for sake of extra tickets sold this year as well as playoff tickets and revenue

cutthemdown
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh yeah baby make it happen Lake Show. This goes down and Lakers will be back!

cutthemdown
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Cmon everyone knows Melo would love to come play with Kobe.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
your own la times is stating its false, and has been ALL DAY

MY LA Times??? Nobody reads that POS publication. The Times said Obama lost to McClain. But as long as you talk about something you know zero about, more power to you.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 04:08 PM
By LA/SoCal standards, it is not much to talk about...But they did buy this home.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/12/carmelo-anthony-lala-vasquez-home-los-angeles/

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
MY LA Times??? Nobody reads that POS publication. The Times said Obama lost to McClain. But as long as you talk about something you know zero about, more power to you.

so you're saying im wrong and melo will be going to LA, ill take that bet!!!!

bombay
02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Don't really believe the New Jersey deal is dead, just underground. It's the only deal I would make (that's been mentioned) if I were the Nuggets. Even if they don't trade him, I'm not certain that he will leave. First, he would sacrifice in the neighborhood of $15-20 million if he signs with a new team (and could possibly not be paid at all while the players are locked out next season), and second there may well be a franchise player tag when they come back.

cutthemdown
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM

the big sticking point is Lakers dont have players with contracts up next yr denver could use to drop salary.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Don't really believe the New Jersey deal is dead, just underground. It's the only deal I would make (that's been mentioned) if I were the Nuggets. Even if they don't trade him, I'm not certain that he will leave. First, he would sacrifice in the neighborhood of $15-20 million if he signs with a new team (and could possibly not be paid at all while the players are locked out next season), and second there may well be a franchise player tag when they come back.

while i agree there is a slim chance to re-sign him since we can give most money, i think he wants to go to NY to build "melo the brand" in hopes of earning more in endorsements to offset the difference. not to mention you know Lala can "work" in NY too.

bombay
02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
while i agree there is a slim chance to re-sign him since we can give most money, i think he wants to go to NY to build "melo the brand" in hopes of earning more in endorsements to offset the difference. not to mention you know Lala can "work" in NY too.

The knicks have nothing to trade. Lala's 'career' isn't worth remarking on.

Depends on how hardcore the Nuggets want to be.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
The knicks have nothing to trade. Lala's 'career' isn't worth remarking on.

Depends on how hardcore the Nuggets want to be.

thats why i said she can "work". it's been said before thats one of the reasons why, so she can do what she was before which was on air talent back east. im not saying they have anything to trade, either. its going to come down to take peanuts on the dollar or lose him out right. i dont like either option, but it is what it is.

bombay
02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
We'll see. I just have a feeling Kroenke doesn't like being ****ed with, and isn't above making his point the hard way.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Let me type slower for you...

Your first post in the thread stated..and I quote, "wow this rumor was proved false many HOURS ago"

Nothing has been proven false, All the original article stated is that Denver and LA had initiated talks now all of a sudden you are coming aross like you know what in the eff is going on. You are not an insider, you have zero friends in the know, So for you to chime in stating this is false is a crock of doodoo.

No one except the Nugget/Laker brass know anything right this minute, everything else is pure speculation.

HAT
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM

No...He's telling you it's a perfectly valid rumor worthy of off season discussion & speculation on a Denver Broncos message board that has hundreds of Denver & Los Angeles area posters.

OBF1
02-08-2011, 04:45 PM
No...He's telling you it's a perfectly valid rumor worthy of off season discussion & speculation on a Denver Broncos message board that has hundreds of Denver & Los Angeles area posters.

End thread LOL

BroncoBrett
02-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Exactly!!! Carmelo wasn't gonna sign with the Nets or this deal would have been made.

24champ
02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Included in this trade, is a bottle of unbreakable for Melo and Lala. Ha!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wk9Ap4nBiOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willyallthewei
02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
If a trade goes down with LA, my guess is it would look something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4mmxwz6

LA takes on more money for longer, Denver gets some young talent, not bad.

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
If a trade goes down with LA, my guess is it would look something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4mmxwz6

LA takes on more money for longer, Denver gets some young talent, not bad.

I'd take that trade. Bynum maybe an injury concern, but so was Marcus Camby when the Nugz brought him in and that panned out pretty good. The Nugz need to get a legit center, maybe Bynum is that guy.

RhymesayersDU
02-08-2011, 05:38 PM

See I think a franchise tag is indeed in the works as well, but I think Carmelo would become a free agent before that came to be.

Anyways, I don't get why people are so quick to say he wouldn't sign with New Jersey. With all the leaks of information, with all the press those conversations got, I'm of the opinion that they never worked out a deal to begin with. Maybe I'm being naive, but if Carmelo refused to sign with them, I think we'd have heard about it.

Edit: I'm not saying that Carmelo for sure would sign with NJ, I'm just saying I don't think we really know what happened exactly.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
knicks beat writer

According to a source, Phil and Kobe were aware that Jim Buss had turned down an Andrew Bynum for Carmelo deal on Super Bowl Sunday. about 5 hours ago (http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/35077366120185856) via web Retweeted by 66 people
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/717751317/Frank_Isola_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN)

Frank Isola (http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN): Sources say that Jim Buss recently rejected a Bynum for Carmelo deal, much to the dismay of Kobe and Phil about 8 hours ago (http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/statuses/35026755718750208)

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter_media.html#ixzz1DQMioqGP

how bout a lakers blog

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/02/08/trading-for-carmelo-anthony-is-not-in-lakers-plans/48534/

again this is a far fetched idea someone is throwing out, probably to move along other trade talks, but there is no ay this was a serious trade rumor

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd take that trade. Bynum maybe an injury concern, but so was Marcus Camby when the Nugz brought him in and that panned out pretty good. The Nugz need to get a legit center, maybe Bynum is that guy.

Ujiri fans are silly. You don't even make sense.

bfoflcommish
02-08-2011, 07:24 PM

but its not valid. makes no sense in any regard, was already all but proen false before thread started, and as i've showed, no truth to rumor what so ever. football is over baseball hasnt started, talking heads trying to make story out of anything

OBF1
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
but its not valid. makes no sense in any regard, was already all but proen false before thread started, and as i've showed, no truth to rumor what so ever. football is over baseball hasnt started, talking heads trying to make story out of anything

Basically the same as every possible trade rumor thread posted on the mane over the past month and a half. Pure speculation with zero proof backing it up.

IE, Champ, Gaffney, Orton and more.

HAT
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Hahaha....****ing awesome. :strong:

Missouribronc
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

I'm really curious as to what baseball has to do with Carmelo Anthony trade talk...

The NBA is far more popular than MLB amongst casual fans/talking heads.

And besides, even when football was going Anthony trade talks have been a regular occurance on a national stage since June. We're now supposed to discount this particular rumor because we are now in between baseball and football seasons and no one has anything to talk about?

One source says talks are dead, and never got going. One source says its still a possibility. Nothin has been "proven" wrong.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
i honestly don't care anymore. send him to LA, send him to the Knicks, i just don't care where he goes or really what the compensation will be anymore, i am just sick of watching this crap play out.

DrFate
02-09-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm pretty interested in the take of any Nuggets fan on this trade.

I'm not a Melo fan. That said, moving him for Bynum makes zero sense from the Nuggets perspective from where I sit. Bynum isn't an allstar level player, and he's made of glass. And he certainly doesn't have the hype of a guy like Anthony (when it comes to filling the seats).

If it's true Buss nixxed the Melo/Bynum trade, I think he's a moron. Thoughts welcome

TonyR
02-09-2011, 06:40 AM
...no truth to rumor what so ever...

A Lakers source told ESPNLosAngeles.com Tuesday that the deal won't happen, and the New York Daily News cited an unnamed source in saying that the Lakers actually shot down a deal with Denver that included Bynum. But another league source maintained that a potential deal involving Anthony and Bynum is not dead.

I agree with you that the trade is extremely unlikely. I disagree with you that there is no truth that the Nuggets and Lakers discussed it.

TonyR
02-09-2011, 06:45 AM

No sane Nuggets fan, myself included, is going to "like" this trade. But if Bynum is the best they can get, as awful as that is to contemplate, I guess it's better than nothing. The Nuggets aren't going to get anything near the value of Melo in a trade. That's part of why the NBA sucks, when superstar players are allowed to control things and hold their teams hostage like this. If things don't change watch for players like Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to do the same thing.

spdirty
02-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Then why in the hell was Melo excited about the prospect of talking to the Russian? That was an agreement, they had the meeting set up, they were all ready, then the Russian got tired of getting ****ed with because Stanly got involved and wanted Jersey to take a bunch of our idiotic salaries where he nixed the deal.

At this point I don't even want to hear about it anymore. So tired of it. Can't even watch the Nuggets for longer than 5 minutes before I feel like I'm wasting my time. I'd rather watch a 20 win Nuggets team that is headed in the right direction than this stuck in limbo bull****.

Just hope now that 1 way or another, melo ends up screwing himself. Either by franchise tag or by losing 20 mil by not signing the extension.

DrFate
02-09-2011, 07:45 AM
No sane Nuggets fan, myself included, is going to "like" this trade. But if Bynum is the best they can get, as awful as that is to contemplate, I guess it's better than nothing. The Nuggets aren't going to get anything near the value of Melo in a trade. That's part of why the NBA sucks, when superstar players are allowed to control things and hold their teams hostage like this. If things don't change watch for players like Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to do the same thing.

Agreed - the reason I ask is that a friend of mine said many of the ESPiN analysts were saying that Melo for Anthony was lopsided in the Nuggets favor (I can't say who said it, or in what context what was said)

And reports are that Buss vetoed this trade last time (which is confusing to me)

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 07:53 AM
That's part of why the NBA sucks, when superstar players are allowed to control things and hold their teams hostage like this. If things don't change watch for players like Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to do the same thing.

So are you against free agency altogether?

I mean... on the one hand, don't get ne wrong, this situation sucks and I'm just as frustrated as every other Nuggets fan.

But at a fundamental level, I don't have a problem with a guy choosing not to sign an extension. I believe players can choose who to sign with and teams can choose who they want to sign/resign/etc.

Would a franchise tag improve the league? Probably, yeah. Again, this situation sucks no doubt. But he's been a professional, he's played every night, and he's just choosing not to sign an extension.

bfoflcommish
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm really curious as to what baseball has to do with Carmelo Anthony trade talk...

The NBA is far more popular than MLB amongst casual fans/talking heads.

And besides, even when football was going Anthony trade talks have been a regular occurance on a national stage since June. We're now supposed to discount this particular rumor because we are now in between baseball and football seasons and no one has anything to talk about?

One source says talks are dead, and never got going. One source says its still a possibility. Nothin has been "proven" wrong.

i mention baseball because right now we are in the 2 week sports "dead zone". pitchers catchers dont report for a few days still so nothing to talk about there, nfl over so no real news happening there, etc... it's easier for ANY rumor to get legs right now even when it doesnt have any. the other rumors for most part at least had substance and legs behind them, this rumor, is just there.

bfoflcommish
02-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Basically the same as every possible trade rumor thread posted on the mane over the past month and a half. Pure speculation with zero proof backing it up.

IE, Champ, Gaffney, Orton and more.

exactly, I agree, and how many people are taking any of them as serious as media is taking this rumor...none, thats what im trying to get at.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm not a Melo fan. That said, moving him for Bynum makes zero sense from the Nuggets perspective from where I sit. Bynum isn't an allstar level player, and he's made of glass. And he certainly doesn't have the hype of a guy like Anthony (when it comes to filling the seats).

If it's true Buss nixxed the Melo/Bynum trade, I think he's a moron. Thoughts welcome

also the deal seemingly goes against everything the Nuggets originally wanted in a deal for Melo. they wanted young talent, and draft picks for cap relief and the ability to build around Lawson and Afflalo. trading Melo for Bynum makes no sense, and if Buss did in fact nix that deal which would have equated to the Lakers straight up raping the Nuggets, he truly is a moron.

Tombstone RJ
02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't know who Ujiri is, and I really don't give a crap.

I grew up watching the Nuggets. There were two teams in Denver, the Broncos and the Nuggets so my personal history with the team goes way back. I remember going to McNichols and watching the team play hard for the fans.

Personally, I have not been able to watch the Nugz because I find Melo a big disappointment and I can't stand the hype around one player. The NBA is not about the "team" anymore, it's about one or two stars and a bunch of role players and it disgusts me.

Screw Melo, screw his ego. I'm for trading him for whatever the team can get and start building over without the Melo distraction.

DrFate
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
also the deal seemingly goes against everything the Nuggets originally wanted in a deal for Melo. they wanted young talent, and draft picks for cap relief and the ability to build around Lawson and Afflalo. trading Melo for Bynum makes no sense, and if Buss did in fact nix that deal which would have equated to the Lakers straight up raping the Nuggets, he truly is a moron.

Exacly

maven
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Well, Bynum is 23 years old...But, he just happens to be a broke dick out there. Also, building around Lawson & Afflalo...well that isn't much.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't know who Ujiri is, and I really don't give a crap.

I grew up watching the Nuggets. There were two teams in Denver, the Broncos and the Nuggets so my personal history with the team goes way back. I remember going to McNichols and watching the team play hard for the fans.

Personally, I have not been able to watch the Nugz because I find Melo a big disappointment and I can't stand the hype around one player. The NBA is not about the "team" anymore, it's about one or two stars and a bunch of role players and it disgusts me.

Screw Melo, screw his ego. I'm for trading him for whatever the team can get and start building over without the Melo distraction.

Sorry, I was making a joke.

Ujiri is the new general manager, after Kroenke-Lite bought the team from daddy and fired Chapman and the other dude, who were two of the best execs in the game, but didn't get along with each other. How firing both of them solved the problem, I will never understand. Ujiri was on no one's radar as a GM candidate, because he was a lap dog for the Colangelo in Toronto.

Melo saw how nickel and dime this team went this summer and that's when they lost the chance of him signing the extension. I whole-heartedly believe that if Chapman was still in Denver, Melo would have signed.

willyallthewei
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM

I wouldn't quite say that. The Lakers may look flashy but the way they win in the playoffs is pushing people around in the paint. They are 20 to 30 pounds heavier than any team in the league (except Boston) at every position. It gets overlooked because of Kobe and Gasol's skillset but the lakers are not a "skill" based team, when it comes down to it, they are bullies.

By getting rid of Bynum for Anthony, they lose that edge at the 5 position, they gain much better spacing and passing in their lineup, but they don't necessarily gain boards (depending on how hard melo plays) and will suffer a decrease in the effectiveness of their overall defense as well.

If the Lakers really want Melo they could take on the salaries of Anderson and/or Harrington, and ship over their two rookies that have high upside (Caracter, Ebanks).

For example: this trade below would allow the nuggets to dump tens of millions of dollars and have a young core of Afflalo at the 2, Ebanks at the 3, Lawson at the 4, and Bynum at the 5. Thats a formidable young team, and they dump all their salary.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4t5l4kl

Its possible because the Bobcats are interested in Artest, but now they don't have to give up Gerald Wallace, and Harrington presents value based on reputation and the fact that they save nearly 5 million this year is not too shabby either.

The real question is whether LA would want to pull that trade, they have serious concerns about how the new guys would play in their triangle, and really, lets be serious here, the the NBA is a two team race, and Boston has two Oneals, big baby, perkis, and KG, thats a lot of big bodies. LA is most concerned about matching up down low, that is why they are hesitant on the Melo trade. They don't care about filling up seats, they filled up seats with Kobe Bryant and a bunch of D-league players, so they don't care much about Anthony's status as a superstar.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 10:04 AM
The real question is whether LA would want to pull that trade, they have serious concerns about how the new guys would play in their triangle, and really, lets be serious here, the the NBA is a two team race, and Boston has two Oneals, big baby, perkis, and KG, thats a lot of big bodies. LA is most concerned about matching up down low, that is why they are hesitant on the Melo trade. They don't care about filling up seats, they filled up seats with Kobe Bryant and a bunch of D-league players, so they don't care much about Anthony's status as a superstar.

The triangle offense is the question. I kept hearing last night about Melo's basketball IQ, but all he's done for years is play spot-up and isolation, with a little pick and roll in there to boot. None of that is a primary focus in the triangle...

bombay
02-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Agreed - the reason I ask is that a friend of mine said many of the ESPiN analysts were saying that Melo for Anthony was lopsided in the Nuggets favor (I can't say who said it, or in what context what was said)

And reports are that Buss vetoed this trade last time (which is confusing to me)

That actually seems quite equitable. A lot of balance to that deal.

willyallthewei
02-09-2011, 10:28 AM
The triangle offense is the question. I kept hearing last night about Melo's basketball IQ, but all he's done for years is play spot-up and isolation, with a little pick and roll in there to boot. None of that is a primary focus in the triangle...

The more I think about the deal, the more I like it, if they make that (hypothetical) move, they would end up 21 million under the cap going into next year with a young core intact. With that amount of money they could easily bring in a couple of free agents, or wait a year and go for the 2012 market with Howard and Deron Williams available.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
The more I think about the deal, the more I like it, if they make that (hypothetical) move, they would end up 21 million under the cap going into next year with a young core intact. With that amount of money they could easily bring in a couple of free agents, or wait a year and go for the 2012 market with Howard and Deron Williams available.

Take a look at Hollinger's take:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4bo3yn6

TonyR
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
With that amount of money they could easily bring in a couple of free agents, or wait a year and go for the 2012 market with Howard and Deron Williams available.

If you're referring to the Nuggets here the big name players generally only want to play in a handful of cities and unfortunately Denver isn't one of them. If you're referring to the Lakers then you have a point.

24champ
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Phil Jackson on the concept of acquiring 'Melo: "My first thought is why are these [media] people interrupting my life with these kind of rumors."

bombay
02-09-2011, 02:06 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17341282

Carmelo "would take a real hard look" at resigning with the Nuggets.

maven
02-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Carmelo "would take a real hard look" at resigning with the Nuggets.

Yes, but then he would board a plane to JFK and sign a new contract.

bombay
02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, but then he would board a plane to JFK and sign a new contract.

No he would'nt. He won't leave the money on the table that it would cost him to do that.

maven
02-09-2011, 02:12 PM
No he would'nt. He won't leave the money on the table that it would cost him to do that.

If Melo was kept on the team the rest of the season, it would go down the same way Lebron did. Melo will choose his team, say Knicks, then Denver will sign n trade for a couple of 1st round picks. The end.

TonyR
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM

You might be right but that's quite a game of chicken for the Nuggets to play. Imagine losing Melo and getting nothing in return.

bombay
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
You might be right but that's quite a game of chicken for the Nuggets to play. Imagine losing Melo and getting nothing in return.

We'll see, and you're right - it's taking a big chance. Still, I believe one of two things will happen: the New Jersey deal is resurrected and they get a reasonable return, or they take that chance. I don't think that Kroenke blinks often in negotiations.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
If Melo was kept on the team the rest of the season, it would go down the same way Lebron did. Melo will choose his team, say Knicks, then Denver will sign n trade for a couple of 1st round picks. The end.

i don't recall Cleveland getting anything at all in return for Lebron.

the longer this ordeal goes with the Nuggets, the more i see this turning into the Bosh in Toronto situation, he leaves and the team gets nothing.

also, i am not sold that Ujiri can get a deal done for the team. he was part of the group that stood by and let Bosh go for nothing.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
We'll see, and you're right - it's taking a big chance. Still, I believe one of two things will happen: the New Jersey deal is resurrected and they get a reasonable return, or they take that chance. I don't think that Kroenke blinks often in negotiations.

if it was Stan still running the negotiating table i would agree, but since it is his son and Ujiri, i think Denver is going to either get fleeced in a trade or get nothing when Melo goes to the Knicks in the offseason

bombay
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
if it was Stan still running the negotiating table i would agree, but since it is his son and Ujiri, i think Denver is going to either get fleeced in a trade or get nothing when Melo goes to the Knicks in the offseason

lol. That's funny stuff right there.

maven
02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
i don't recall Cleveland getting anything at all in return for Lebron.

They received two 1st round & two 2nd round picks from the Heat and a $16 million exception. In return James received an extra $30 million over the life of the contract

maven
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
, the more i see this turning into the Bosh in Toronto situation, he leaves and the team gets nothing.

The Heat sent 2 first round picks to Toronto for Bosh.

maven
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Think what you will, wrong as you are.

Although the New Jersey deal still has a chance.

Pretty much all deals out there have a chance because a team could trade for Anthony as a short-term rental.

bombay
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I think at it's essence, this is the deal: if you believe Carmelo will walk away from 3/65 with a lockout pending, he has the power and can choose his destination. If you don't believe that, and I don't, the Nuggets hold the trump card.

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I think at it's essence, this is the deal: if you believe Carmelo will walk away from 3/65 with a lockout pending, he has the power and can choose his destination. If you don't believe that, and I don't, the Nuggets hold the trump card.

I'm still on the fence about "what Carmelo thinks" but at the end of the day, nobody is walking away from approximately $20 million. I tend to agree with you, he's not going to sacrifice all that money. I know he's already a multi-millionaire, but nobody just leaves that on the table.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Sorry, I was making a joke.

Ujiri is the new general manager, after Kroenke-Lite bought the team from daddy and fired Chapman and the other dude, who were two of the best execs in the game, but didn't get along with each other. How firing both of them solved the problem, I will never understand. Ujiri was on no one's radar as a GM candidate, because he was a lap dog for the Colangelo in Toronto.

Melo saw how nickel and dime this team went this summer and that's when they lost the chance of him signing the extension. I whole-heartedly believe that if Chapman was still in Denver, Melo would have signed.

This Nuggets team got out of the 1st round how many times since Melo's been here? 1 time. Aside from Lawson, when was the last time used a 1st round pick?

Not defending Ujiri or Josh or anyone in the current FO in any way, but don't peddle this bull**** they fired two of the best execs in the league when this team has been stagnant for years with nothing on the horizon that could take them to the next level. That is on the FO.

And yes, I know Warkentin did win Executive of the Year a couple of years ago.

Houshyamama
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
This Nuggets team got out of the 1st round how many times since Melo's been here? 1 time. Aside from Lawson, when was the last time used a 1st round pick?

Not defending Ujiri or Josh or anyone in the current FO in any way, but don't peddle this bull**** they fired two of the best execs in the league when this team has been stagnant for years with nothing on the horizon that could take them to the next level. That is on the FO.

Kenyon Martin's contract - huge mistake

Allen Iverson - huge mistake

And like you said, trading all our picks away and not building through the draft definitely hurt us.

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM

EXACTLY.

This is part of the reason I'm not super bitter about the Carmelo deal. I said the same thing when LeBron left; Cleveland gave him nothing to work with, and they deserve what they got.

Our front office has been garbage since they got Carmelo. As far as I'm concerned, they've made 2 good moves since drafting him --

1) Trading for Billups and Afflalo. They raped Detroit in that.
2) Trading for Ty Lawson

I'll give them a half point for acquiring JR Smith, but only a half because he's wild and streaky. I mean, he can play some ball... but he's also the most frustrating player to watch.

bombay
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I wonder if Anthony has noticed that with the possible exception of the Nets, no one, particularly the knicks, is willing to give up **** to get him. Yo, Melo; the knicks are offering garbage for you. How important do you think they consider you?

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I wonder if Anthony has noticed that with the possible exception of the Nets, no one, particularly the knicks, is willing to give up **** to get him. Yo, Melo; the knicks are offering garbage for you. How important do you think they consider you?

Um, that's because the entire league knows he wants to play in New York. In fact, I'm pretty sure Melo doesn't care.

bombay
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Um, that's because the entire league knows he wants to play in New York. In fact, I'm pretty sure Melo doesn't care.

Really? You think he wants to play there badly enough to risk losing 3/65 and take his chances on the new bargaining agreement after the lockout?

He doesn't, and won't. If he's not traded he'll re-up with Denver, and that will be that. And the knicks haven't, and won't, offer enough to alter that reality.

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
There's points on both sides, clearly.

I agree, the Knicks know they have the Nuggets in a spot where they can make a low-ball offer.

However, I agree to a certain extent, they're not willing to part with Gallinari, etc, even for Carmelo.

It's going to be an interesting 2 weeks.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Really? You think he wants to play there badly enough to risk losing 3/65 and take his chances on the new bargaining agreement after the lockout?

He doesn't, and won't. If he's not traded he'll re-up with Denver, and that will be that. And the knicks haven't, and won't, offer enough to alter that reality.

This type of thinking got Cleveland the worst losing streak in NBA history.

But keep telling yourself that.

bombay
02-09-2011, 08:20 PM

OK. I'd like to see him gone. So explain to me what leverage he has. Give me some hope.

Houshyamama
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I can't even watch the Nuggets this year, I'm so sick of Melo holding this franchise hostage. Just get him the **** out of here.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
OK. I'd like to see him gone. So explain to me what leverage he has. Give me some hope.

Melo? Leverage? Um, free agency.

The fact that he hasn't signed the extension and we know the uncertainty of the future of free agency should tell you all you need to know.

bombay
02-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Melo? Leverage? Um, free agency.

The fact that he hasn't signed the extension and we know the uncertainty of the future of free agency should tell you all you need to know.

Right.

That's why he says this.

Get him the **** out of here.

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Not really. LeBron was going to get the max one way or the other. There were no CBA issues last summer.

Carmelo stands to lose $20 million if he doesn't sign the extension. And that's basically a fact at this point.

Edit: I'm not saying Carmelo is going to sign. But that is something Cleveland didn't have. The new CBA and/or a lockout is coming. And Carmelo will lose millions if he doesn't sign.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
So why hasn't Melo signed the extension?

I mean, clearly its his best option. Why hasn't it happened?

bombay
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Too stupid to answer.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Too stupid to answer.

Huh? Are you suggesting the idea of Melo not signing is too stupid to even respond to, I'm too stupid to respond to or that Melo is too stupid and you don't want to respond?

BTW if it is as clear cut as you think, he already would have signed. So, I ask again. Why has Melo not signed the extension already?

misturanderson
02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Huh? Are you suggesting the idea of Melo not signing is too stupid to even respond to, I'm too stupid to respond to or that Melo is too stupid and you don't want to respond?

BTW if it is as clear cut as you think, he already would have signed. So, I ask again. Why has Melo not signed the extension already?

Because if he signs a deal before the trade deadline without a trade in place we could ship him to where ever the **** we want for a massive bounty and he doesn't want to end up as the only decent player in Minnesota or Memphis? (Two completely random teams, don't read into them)

Seems like one logical conclusion to make.

Missouribronc
02-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Because if he signs a deal before the trade deadline without a trade in place we could ship him to where ever the **** we want for a massive bounty and he doesn't want to end up as the only decent player in Minnesota or Memphis? (Two completely random teams, don't read into them)

Seems like one logical conclusion to make.

What? Why the hell would Denver sign him long term and then trade him to a **** team? Why would Melo sign and then get traded to a **** team when he has the leverage?

Wow. Just wow. I don't think you understand how no trade clauses work.

RhymesayersDU
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM

I think the guy is weighing his options. I think he wants to know if a deal can be made before the deadline. He can sign this deal at ANY time before July. Why would he sign before he had to? The money isn't going to change.

It may not be his "best" option. His "best" is subjective and really only he knows what's best for him. With that said, we all do things for money, don't we? Isn't that called being a grown up, working, and making a living?

As I've said, I'm not saying it's guaranteed if the Nuggets call his bluff that he will sign and stay here. What I am saying is, $20 million is a lot of money to sacrifice. And I believe he's considering ALL of his options. I really don't think that's unrealistic.

TonyR
02-10-2011, 08:31 AM
...the Nets would get back in the Anthony talks if Denver calls. Considering the offers the Nuggets reportedly are receiving, some league insiders believe Nets general manager Billy King's phone will ring.

It's moot if Anthony won't sign an extension. But the Nets still carry some weight in the 'Melo-drama, even after owner Mikhail Prokhorov stopped the talks and canceled a recruiting meeting with Anthony.

The Pistons want the Nets back in the picture. New Jersey was the only team willing to trade for Richard Hamilton's contract in a three-team mega-deal. But the Nets told Detroit they're out.

The three-team trade involving the Knicks and Minnesota, with Denver receiving Wilson Chandler, Corey Brewer and a first-round pick, isn't nearly as much as what the Nets offered - Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and at least two No. 1s - in various proposals...

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/basketball/nets/115702684_Iannazzone__Nets_still_players_in__Melo-drama.html

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
...the Nets would get back in the Anthony talks if Denver calls. Considering the offers the Nuggets reportedly are receiving, some league insiders believe Nets general manager Billy King's phone will ring.

It's moot if Anthony won't sign an extension. But the Nets still carry some weight in the 'Melo-drama, even after owner Mikhail Prokhorov stopped the talks and canceled a recruiting meeting with Anthony.

The Pistons want the Nets back in the picture. New Jersey was the only team willing to trade for Richard Hamilton's contract in a three-team mega-deal. But the Nets told Detroit they're out.

The three-team trade involving the Knicks and Minnesota, with Denver receiving Wilson Chandler, Corey Brewer and a first-round pick, isn't nearly as much as what the Nets offered - Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and at least two No. 1s - in various proposals...

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/basketball/nets/115702684_Iannazzone__Nets_still_players_in__Melo-drama.html

That's a fair deal. So, Melo wouldn't sign off on this deal, is that what happened?

TonyR
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
So, Melo wouldn't sign off on this deal, is that what happened?

That's what people say but this has never been confirmed. I'm of the opinion that NJ's owner pulled out of the deal more because of the way the Nuggets FO kept jerking around than for any other reason. Melo claims he was willing to meet with the Nets' owner and FO but the meeting never happened for whatever reason.

bombay
02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
That's a fair deal. So, Melo wouldn't sign off on this deal, is that what happened?

No. The Nuggets kept piling more trash on the deal (Harrington, Balkman, etc) and asking for more in return. The Russian finally had enough and publically put the kibash on it. It's still doable, though, but doubt there will be such public leaks this time.

RhymesayersDU
02-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Well publicly at least, nobody knows. The Nuggets never accepted the offer if what was said in the media is accurate.

bombay
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
This is from a Denver Post article the day after the New Jersey deal fell apart. Forget the date.

"When asked directly whether he or his agents had killed the trade by refusing to entertain an extension with the Nets, Anthony firmly and repeatedly said "No"."

Missouribronc
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
This is from a Denver Post article the day after the New Jersey deal fell apart. Forget the date.

"When asked directly whether he or his agents had killed the trade by refusing to entertain an extension with the Nets, Anthony firmly and repeatedly said "No"."

Also the same Melo that sat there with that wry grin during training camp and said he didn't "know anything about no trade."

bombay
02-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Might as well quote myself, because this is about as succinctly as you'll see this situation explained.

TonyR
02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
I still say the Nets get ‘Melo — maybe last night, maybe today, maybe tomorrow, whenever — before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, and the Knicks don’t.

Why? Because, in the Nuggets’ final analysis — the lone judgment that counts, something the majority of media, much like sense-of-entitlement- fans, consistently overlook — the Nets’ offer is far superior to the Knicks’ tag sale accumulation of “assets.”

The swarm of “experts” incessantly assessing ‘Melo’s availability almost never take into consideration that the Nuggets have final say on what happens and will do what’s best for them first and foremost.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/prokhorov_tactics_could_still_land_tsBcbok7rgV5OnO QJLvb9I#ixzz1DrMOSN8P

bombay
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I still say the Nets get ‘Melo — maybe last night, maybe today, maybe tomorrow, whenever — before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, and the Knicks don’t.

Why? Because, in the Nuggets’ final analysis — the lone judgment that counts, something the majority of media, much like sense-of-entitlement- fans, consistently overlook — the Nets’ offer is far superior to the Knicks’ tag sale accumulation of “assets.”

The swarm of “experts” incessantly assessing ‘Melo’s availability almost never take into consideration that the Nuggets have final say on what happens and will do what’s best for them first and foremost.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/prokhorov_tactics_could_still_land_tsBcbok7rgV5OnO QJLvb9I#ixzz1DrMOSN8P

That's the only deal they'll utimately consider.

RhymesayersDU
02-13-2011, 12:03 PM
That's the only deal they'll utimately consider.

Which is what they should do, unless the Knicks up their offer.

TonyR
02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Denver and New Jersey resumed trade talks about Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony about a week ago after the Nets reached out to the Nuggets, league sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard on Wednesday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6128807

Chris
02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6128807

No one is going to read your posts so long as you have that avvy.

bombay
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
bimp

TonyR
02-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Carmelo Anthony and New York Knicks owner James Dolan met on Thursday night in Los Angeles, the New York Daily News reported on Friday afternoon.

The newspaper also reported that the executives of the Knicks and Denver Nuggets were set to hold a conference call on Friday afternoon to discuss a deal involving Anthony, who has been the subject of trade rumors to the Knicks and New Jersey Nets for the past several months.

The meeting in Los Angeles is the first known face-to-face contact between Anthony and the Knicks. It's an open secret around the league that the Knicks are Anthony's preferred destination.

Earlier Friday, the Bergen (N.J.) Record reported the Nuggets and Nets had agreed on players in a trade for Anthony, but needed to get Anthony to agree to sign a three-year, $65 million extension to seal the deal.

The Record, citing sources, reported that the Nets would get Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman from the Nuggets.

In turn, the Nets would send Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Troy Murphy, Ben Uzoh and four first-round picks to Denver.

But sources told ESPN.com on Thursday night not all of those picks would wind up in Denver's hands. At least one of the first-rounders is earmarked to be packaged with Murphy to a third team -- either in this trade or in a separate deal -- because the Nuggets have maintained for months that they're unwilling to absorb Murphy's $12 million expiring contract for luxury-tax reasons.

Thursday night, ESPN.com reported that sources close to the situation said the Nuggets were operating under the assumption that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and Anthony would meet face-to-face at All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles.

A Nets spokeswoman told The Associated Press that Prokhorov had not changed his mind about trading for Anthony. Last month, he announced that his team was done chasing a deal for the Nuggets' All-Star.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6136920