PDA

View Full Version : NFL drops the ball for 400 Super Bowl fans

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Amazing...they knew about this early last week and did nothing. Pretty bush league move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Displaced-fans-will-receive-free-Super-Bowl-tick?urn=nfl-317924

spdirty
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Well, if you can spend 9 grand per ticket, I don't think this inconvenience will cripple you financially.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Well, if you can spend 9 grand per ticket, I don't think this inconvenience will cripple you financially.
It didn't say he spent $9 grand per ticket, just that he spent that on the entire thing, probably several tickets and travel etc... In any case, the point is, why the hell didn't they do something about this when they had the chance? People spent money to see their team in the Superbowl. How'd you like it if you dumped thousands to go see the Broncos in the Superbowl and when you got there they told you, "Sorry Charlie, you don't have ticket after all, but you can come back next year though."

Ridiculously bad move by the NFL all the way around.

Ratboy
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
It didn't say he spent $9 grand per ticket, just that he spent that on the entire thing, probably several tickets and travel etc... In any case, the point is, why the hell didn't they do something about this when they had the chance? People spent money to see their team in the Superbowl. How'd you like it if you dumped thousands to go see the Broncos in the Superbowl and when you got there they told you, "Sorry Charlie, you don't have ticket after all, but you can come back next year though."

Ridiculously bad move by the NFL all the way around.

I'd probably take them to court.

gunns
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I just read where they are going to give them tickets to 2012 SB. So I'm thinking, will there be a 2012 SB and would their team be in it. I'd be pissed, overly pissed, especially if I were a Packer fan.

But damn, I'd still go to the 2012 SB.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd probably take them to court.
400 fans? Some attorney is already working on it, guaranteed.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-07-2011, 06:51 PM
You have to love the balls on whoever offered tickets for next year's non-existant superbowl as a consolation prize. That's some funny shiat right there.

NUB
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
You have to love the balls on whoever offered tickets for next year's non-existant superbowl as a consolation prize. That's some funny shiat right there.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/2203/original/20533_cooldog.jpg?1268428367

Inkana7
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome to Goodell's NFL.

jmz313
02-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Thats Clown Shoes for any Packer fans in the 400. Its not like that many true fans even get to go to the game since its just a giant corporate shin-dig. They couldn't find room for 400 (persumably Steeler/Packers Fans) people to at least be in the stadium for the game? Nice move Goodell.

Poor Consultation attempt to boot.

TheChamp24
02-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Some guys on the radio here were saying what could you sue them for, what damages?
I'm thinking, hello, air plane tickets and hotel plus the meals is at least a grand.
Plus, you could probably hit the NFL pretty hard for selling something that in the end, didn't even exist.

Boss Man
02-08-2011, 06:26 AM
i know if i dropped 9gs to watch my broncos in the superbowl, and got ***ed out of it, i would go ape****

footstepsfrom#27
02-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Some guys on the radio here were saying what could you sue them for, what damages?
I'm thinking, hello, air plane tickets and hotel plus the meals is at least a grand.
Plus, you could probably hit the NFL pretty hard for selling something that in the end, didn't even exist.
A grand? Maybe if you stayed at Motel 6 and drove in for the game. A $69 hotel room 15 miles away was going for $400, parking was running $500 or more within walking distance...etc...etc. Considering the cost of travel, food, hotels, lost time from work not to mention the tickets themselves you can probably figure a family of 4 might spend 8,000-$10,000 , roughly $3-4 million in total damages. Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing. The NFL should take an ugly PR hit as well as a civil judgement. I guess they can all afford it but it's just the perfect example of why the game is no longer about the fans it's about the fat TV contracts, the corporate big shots who pay for luxury suites, etc...

crawdad
02-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes, and the fact that many of these "big shots" are not even watching the game!

houghtam
02-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Is there anyone on here with actual legal experience (Beantown, I'm looking at you)? I would be very surprised if there's any legal leg to stand on for a lawsuit. There has to have been some reserve clause on the ticket saying something to the effect of "the NFL has the right to refuse the ticketholder admission at his discretion for any reason". Hell, movie tickets have that disclaimer. I'd be surprised if a Super Bowl ticket didn't.

footstepsfrom#27
02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Is there anyone on here with actual legal experience (Beantown, I'm looking at you)? I would be very surprised if there's any legal leg to stand on for a lawsuit. There has to have been some reserve clause on the ticket saying something to the effect of "the NFL has the right to refuse the ticketholder admission at his discretion for any reason". Hell, movie tickets have that disclaimer. I'd be surprised if a Super Bowl ticket didn't.
The NFL will suffer a bigger financial black eye trying to fight doing the right thing than they would by just doing it. In a year where the fan sympathy might be important in terms of the coming labor dispute and it's ultimate resolution, it seems like the wrong battle at the wrong time for the NFL to be waging. For what? The cost of a single free agent lineman? This is a league with billions in revenue so now we'll see if they can see the forest for the trees here.

Legally, I know airline tickets usually come with fine print that mentions things like natural disasters or terrorism las things that can cause you to be SOL but ****ing up the fire marshall's inspection? Some judge is gonne have to keep a straight face on this if it gets that far. If they've ttruly covered their asses with an all inclusive, "we get to screw you no matter what and there's nothing you can do about it" kind of clause, well then I suppose they'll "win" this thing...if that constitutes a win. I don't think it would.

The stupid rules changes that ruining the game by putting skirts on players, which both players and fans don't want, the supposed zero tolerance stance Goodell has for OTF issues, but not necessarily...the cost of even regular season game tickets, the economy in general, things like this latest fiasco...they're all adding up to a league that is lacking in leadership from the Commish himself. We'll see how he gets through the labor dispute but right now his stock would be falling if I were betting on his future in the long term. Goodell seems like an empty suit does he not?

willyallthewei
02-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Generally, when refusing admission, there has to be a refund or some equivalent remedy. However, they will have a very hard time claiming that this year's Super Bowl is special to the point where they would get damages beyond the ticket price.

They will have a real shot at getting back the money they spent on travel/lodging. If they bought it through E-bay, they may be screwed all together.

There's probably an arbitration clause, which may or may not apply because they never got to see the game. If it applies, they can't sue. And, i wouldn't be surprised if the "free" tickets and money given out come with some agreement, in which they would sign away their right to take legal action.

RMT
02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
The NFL should give those 400 people free tickets to EVERY Super Bowl until their team makes it BACK to a Super Bowl. That way their amount of reimbursed damages will increase every year until their team (Steelers or Packers) make it back to the game.

At least this way the fans would eventually get to see THEIR team play.

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 07:42 AM
The NFL will suffer a bigger financial black eye trying to fight doing the right thing than they would by just doing it. In a year where the fan sympathy might be important in terms of the coming labor dispute and it's ultimate resolution, it seems like the wrong battle at the wrong time for the NFL to be waging. For what? The cost of a single free agent lineman? This is a league with billions in revenue so now we'll see if they can see the forest for the trees here.

Legally, I know airline tickets usually come with fine print that mentions things like natural disasters or terrorism las things that can cause you to be SOL but ****ing up the fire marshall's inspection? Some judge is gonne have to keep a straight face on this if it gets that far. If they've ttruly covered their asses with an all inclusive, "we get to screw you no matter what and there's nothing you can do about it" kind of clause, well then I suppose they'll "win" this thing...if that constitutes a win. I don't think it would.

The stupid rules changes that ruining the game by putting skirts on players, which both players and fans don't want, the supposed zero tolerance stance Goodell has for OTF issues, but not necessarily...the cost of even regular season game tickets, the economy in general, things like this latest fiasco...they're all adding up to a league that is lacking in leadership from the Commish himself. We'll see how he gets through the labor dispute but right now his stock would be falling if I were betting on his future in the long term. Goodell seems like an empty suit does he not?

Agreed for the most part. Unfortunately, the NFL is on a streak of bad commissioners as they try to maximize money. Tagliabue got into the labor deal that left us in the current situation and then Goodell took over and seems to be trying to be the face of the NFL himself rather than presiding over it.

Unfortunately, I think this comes down to fans taking the game back. As long as there's season ticket waiting lines and people will attend no matter what happens, owners and the NFL front office will just be trying to take the process for all they can.

Pony Boy
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Yep, tickets to next years super bowl to watch the Bronco's when they are Steeler fans make perfect sense to me .........

gunns
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing.

That's what I was thinking. He had how long to get this thing together?

LetsGoBroncos
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
The NFL should give those 400 people free tickets to EVERY Super Bowl until their team makes it BACK to a Super Bowl. That way their amount of reimbursed damages will increase every year until their team (Steelers or Packers) make it back to the game.

At least this way the fans would eventually get to see THEIR team play.

While that would be nice, even that wouldn't make it up to a Green Bay fan. Nothing the NFL does can re-create what a Packer fan missed by seeing their team win the Super Bowl against the big bad Steelers after a 12 year gap of being in the Super Bowl.

As much as it might cost the NFL, they need to reimburse each of these fans for all their expenses (travel, child care, ticket cost, food, etc) and give them an extra 10K just to say "sorry."

Gort
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM

how can they sue them for airfare? they flew on the planes.

how can they sue them for hotels? they used their hotel rooms.

how can they sue them for meals? they ate their meals.

none of that has anything to do with the SB tickets.

the NFL didn't stop them from taking their seats. the fire marshall did that. the NFL would have been happy to put them in those seats.

HAT
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
A grand? Maybe if you stayed at Motel 6 and drove in for the game. A $69 hotel room 15 miles away was going for $400, parking was running $500 or more within walking distance...etc...etc. Considering the cost of travel, food, hotels, lost time from work not to mention the tickets themselves you can probably figure a family of 4 might spend 8,000-$10,000 , roughly $3-4 million in total damages. Jerry Jones is gonne get hit since it's his stadium and the fire marshall issue was probably something the Cowboys were responsible for clearing. The NFL should take an ugly PR hit as well as a civil judgement. I guess they can all afford it but it's just the perfect example of why the game is no longer about the fans it's about the fat TV contracts, the corporate big shots who pay for luxury suites, etc...

I was thinking along these lines at first but at the end of the day, why should they be compensated for travel, food, hotels, time off work, etc.? They partied all week as if they had seats....Getting moved to an area inside the stadium to watch on monitors at the last minute sucks but doesn't automatically cancel out any prior enjoyment experienced.

If I take a 7 day cruise because I really, really want to swim with the dolphins & that shore excursion gets canceled, why would I have a right to ask for the entire cruise to be refunded?

The $2,400 reimbursement (triple face value) & tickets to the next SB is pretty fair IMO. (So long as they are hard tickets & there are no restrictions on selling them). They also got free food, booze & merchandise & got to go on the field after the game. For those that can prove they paid more than $2,400 on the secondary market (CC receipt from a broker, ebay/paypal, etc), fine, refund them in full.

Anyone looking for a 10K+ settlement just wants to get paid in our over litigious society. Well, I shouldn't say 'anyone'....If there was a 'make a wish' kid involved or an elderly family member whose life long dream was to see his team that changes things a bit. But for your average or even die hard fan, buck up.

HAT
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Updated: February 8, 2011, 8:00 PM ET
Displaced fans can pick their tickets

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The NFL has added a second option for the roughly 400 fans who had to give up their seats at the Super Bowl: They can choose to attend any future Super Bowl instead of being limited to the 2012 game.

The league initially said Sunday it would give $2,400, three times the face value of the ticket, to the fans who were forced to watch the game on monitors or use standing-room platforms after some temporary seating sections were not completed in time.

On Monday, Commissioner Roger Goodell said those fans also would receive tickets to next year's Super Bowl.

Then on Tuesday, the NFL announced the fans could choose instead to receive a ticket to any future Super Bowl, including next year's, along with round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations. If fans choose that option, they will not get the $2,400. They can wait until after the conference championship games each season to see whether their favorite team reaches the Super Bowl.

"We had more time to think about how to create a broader range of options that would better recognize the deep emotional bond that fans have for their team," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

The Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 on Sunday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. When the temporary sections were not completed before the start of the game, about 850 fans were moved to other seats. But there was nowhere to put the remaining 400.

Some of the affected fans complained Sunday that the $2,400 didn't cover the price they paid for the seats, travel and hotels.

If fans choose the first option of next year's game plus the $2,400, the ticket is transferable, which means it can be sold on the secondary ticket market. It won't be transferable in the other option.

The league said a senior NFL staff member would call each of the displaced fans to provide information about the options and answer questions.

"The commissioner thought it was the right thing to do to give those fans more options," Aiello said.

The NFL is working with the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys to track down all the affected fans. Contact information can be e-mailed to SBXLV(at)nfl.com.

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
That plan is about the best that can be offered. SB of your choice, hotel, airfare? F yeah. That's pretty well done.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
That plan is about the best that can be offered. SB of your choice, hotel, airfare? F yeah. That's pretty well done.

I have to agree. First off, this isnt some huge tragedy. Hell, most times im at football games im watching the jumbotron anyway. They still were in the stadium, still fed off the energy. Does it suck? sure. But i think this is nice compensation.