PDA

View Full Version : Green Named AFC Scout of the Year

oubronco
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Green Named AFC Scout of the Year
By Gray Caldwell

Posted Jan 31, 2011

Cornell Green, a 25-year scout for the Broncos, was named the AFC Scout of the Year by the Fritz Pollard Alliance.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Cornell Green, a 25-year scout for the Broncos, was named AFC Scout of the Year by the Fritz Pollard Alliance.

Green is currently responsible for scouting the Southwest area, but has also served as a scouting consultant for the team and evaluated the South, East and Midwest regions earlier in his career.

"Cornell is a vital part of our scouting department, and I'm thrilled that the Fritz Pollard Alliance is honoring him with this prestigious award," General Manager Brian Xanders said. "He is a winner who brings vast experience and wisdom to our scouting process. Cornell's track record of success as both a player and talent evaluator in the NFL is a unique combination, and we're fortunate to have him with the Denver Broncos."

The 2011 season marks Green's 32nd evaluating talent in the NFL, as he began his scouting career with the Dallas Cowboys in 1970 while still an active player. He went to five Pro Bowls as a defensive back for the Cowboys, never missing a game during his 13 seasons with the team.

During that time, he compiled a 145-game consecutive starts streak while helping the Cowboys to eight consecutive playoff appearances, including back-to-back Super Bowl berths from 1970-71. He helped lead Dallas to a victory in Super Bowl VI during the 1971 season.

Green will be presented with the award on Friday, Feb. 25, at the FPA's awards reception in Indianapolis, alongside NFC Scout of the Year Bob Harrison of the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Green-Named-AFC-Scout-of-the-Year/6c3d221c-39dc-4372-98fe-c6f012d0142c

Nice to see this

Doggcow
02-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes.

Smilin Assassin
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm curious as to what qualifications are needed to win this award.

Never the less, congratulations to Cornell. This is the kind of personel we need filling the Denver Broncos atmosphere.

HILife
02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
So, he played Tackle for the Broncos and was a scoot at the same time? TALENT!

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/33/337323.jpg

Look how he takes that money shot like a CHAMP!

Pony Boy
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Just curious but did someone look at the overwhelming array of talent we had assembled on the field of play this season and decide the Bronco’s organization deserved an award for scouting?

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
As someone possibly alluded to above, does this equate to "black scout of the year" award?

Both of those guys are black and the only time anyone mentions the Fritz Pollard Alliance is when someone's bitching about the Rooney rule.

If that is the case. F this stuff. Quit dividing things by racial lines.

bombay
02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Golfed with Green at Kennedy once. Lefty with a big fade.

Crushaholic
02-06-2011, 12:23 PM
It must be for his work with the Cowgirls. There is no other plausible explanation for this award...

broncosteven
02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Just curious but did someone look at the overwhelming array of talent we had assembled on the field of play this season and decide the Bronco’s organization deserved an award for scouting?

One word explanation:

TEBOW!

bombay
02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Did the Broncos follow his recommendations?

spdirty
02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Was Green in charge of the draft or free agency? No. The organization thought that McDaniels knew more than him when it comes to evaluating talent, which is why we are where we are.

txtebow
02-07-2011, 05:54 AM
How come no example of his finds to warrant such an award? Was it Perrish Cox? :ROFL:

eddie mac
02-07-2011, 06:05 AM
FFS guys can you not just congratulate a Denver Bronco employee for receiving an award for his work. Mere mortals like ourselves aren't privy to exactly what or who Mr Green has uncovered in the last 25 years but someone or some group are.

Well done that man!!!

WolfpackGuy
02-07-2011, 06:39 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/OnME92JU9zc/0.jpg

Pony Boy
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
FFS guys can you not just congratulate a Denver Bronco employee for receiving an award for his work. Mere mortals like ourselves aren't privy to exactly what or who Mr Green has uncovered in the last 25 years but someone or some group are.

Well done that man!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H3ngfMb2EQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Thomas - Georgia Tech
Tebow - Florida
Zane Beadles - Utah
Walton - Baylor
Decker - Minnesota
Cox - Okla St
Olsen - Notre Dame
Squid - Caly
Kirlew - Indiana

I can't imagine he received this award for Beadles and Squid...

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately, I've gotten to the bottom of this and kinda disgusted by it...

NFC winner and AFC winner:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/wp-content/themes/falcons02/images/photo_glass_161x107.png

http://www.denverbroncos.com/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/article-images/2011/01-January/110131_green_inside.jpg

Fritz Pollard was the first black HC in the NFL and this organization is a group promoting minority hiring in the NFL is named after him.

Any "award" that's labeled as an unbiased blanket award, gets completely discredited when you find out they're only furthering their own agenda by not allowing white candidates/winners. Why not just call it "Black scout of the year"?

http://fritzpollard.org/

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Stupid picture won't embed. Here's the "NFC winner" Bob Harrison:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-staffs/bob-harrison/

Requiem
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/coates95cos-1.jpg

That One Guy
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Fritz Pollard was the first black HC in the NFL and this organization is a group promoting minority hiring in the NFL is named after him.

Any "award" that's labeled as an unbiased blanket award, gets completely discredited when you find out they're only furthering their own agenda by not allowing white candidates/winners. Why not just call it "Black scout of the year"?

My thoughts as well. FPA can suck a fat one.

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
My thoughts as well. FPA can suck a fat one.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I'd love to see these "award winners" turn it down on sheer principle.

Kaylore
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow that's sad.

That One Guy
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't quite go that far, but I'd love to see these "award winners" turn it down on sheer principle.

My issue with them is they're respected as the top authority on equality in the NFL (when Rooney rule questions come into play, it's the FPA who people generally look to for compliance guidance) and they'll then turn around and alienate based on race.

It's not even a matter of equality and hiring here - it's a pat on the back and they wont set the example and exclude race.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

NFC winner and AFC winner:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/wp-content/themes/falcons02/images/photo_glass_161x107.png

http://www.denverbroncos.com/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/article-images/2011/01-January/110131_green_inside.jpg

Who cares about all that? If he's been scouting 32 years and he's also got that NFL pedigree, isn't it time to bump this guy to the FO as Director of Scouting or something? I'm pretty sure 32 years as a scout and 5 pro bowls in a 13 year career should mean he knows what he's doing by now.

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Who cares about all that? If he's been scouting 32 years and he's also got that NFL pedigree, isn't it time to bump this guy to the FO as Director of Scouting or something? I'm pretty sure 32 years as a scout and 5 pro bowls in a 13 year career should mean he knows what he's doing by now.

This is a highly competitive job field where a LOT of the guys have backgrounds just as good. Quite frankly, the log jam to start getting those higher slots as director of collegiate scouting/personnel and general managers is so great that you really need to have a fantastic RESULTS ORIENTATED resume of successes.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=DEN&lg=nfl

Skim through. We hardly ever take players from the SW. This guy certainly hasnt earned a promotion. And definitely didnt earn this award.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
My issue with them is they're respected as the top authority on equality in the NFL (when Rooney rule questions come into play, it's the FPA who people generally look to for compliance guidance) and they'll then turn around and alienate based on race.

It's not even a matter of equality and hiring here - it's a pat on the back and they wont set the example and exclude race.
So what...it's a freaking award big deal...anyway this is what happens when the pendulum swings back...frankly I'm sick of hearing white people whine about this ****. Just be glad it only swung back an inch instead of a foot.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
This is a highly competitive job field where a LOT of the guys have backgrounds just as good. Quite frankly, the log jam to start getting those higher slots as director of collegiate scouting/personnel and general managers is so great that you really need to have a fantastic RESULTS ORIENTATED resume of successes.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=DEN&lg=nfl

Skim through. We hardly ever take players from the SW. This guy certainly hasnt earned a promotion. And definitely didnt earn this award.
I HIGHLY doubt you know whether he's earned either one.

Let's quit here...I have no wish to engage in a 4 page debae on racism in the NFL. Everyone on this board knows where I stand on this stuff by now.

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I HIGHLY doubt you know whether he's earned either one.

Let's quit here...I have no wish to engage in a 4 page debae on racism in the NFL. Everyone on this board knows where I stand on this stuff by now.

The award is "Scout of the Year", not "Black Lifetime Scouting Award". By the title itself, he absolutely did NOT deserve it. In fact, he didn't deserve "BRONCOS Scout of the Year" if you look at the drafting results.

As far, "he deserves a promotion" and "racism in the NFL", Rod Graves, Jerry Reece, Ozzie Newsome, Martin Mayhew, Rick Smith would all vehemently disagree with you.

That One Guy
02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
So what...it's a freaking award big deal...anyway this is what happens when the pendulum swings back...frankly I'm sick of hearing white people whine about this ****. Just be glad it only swung back an inch instead of a foot.

Once upon a time, someone said "So what, it's a water fountain, you have your own over there".

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
The award is "Scout of the Year", not "Black Lifetime Scouting Award". By the title itself, he absolutely did NOT deserve it. In fact, he didn't deserve "BRONCOS Scout of the Year" if you look at the drafting results.

As far, "he deserves a promotion" and "racism in the NFL", Rod Graves, Jerry Reece, Ozzie Newsome, Martin Mayhew, Rick Smith would all vehemently disagree with you.
The only people who know what he deserves or doesn't deserve work in the Denver front office. You think looking at McDaniels draft results tells us anything?

Please...

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Once upon a time, someone said "So what, it's a water fountain, you have your own over there".
Like I said...pendulum. Deal with it.

baja
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Let's fire him he knows too much.

HILife
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Let's fire him he knows too much.

We should. According to some people on this board, he didn't earn the award. Supposedly, it was just handed to him.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Seems like a guy with 32 years in scouting and an NFL player resume would be a valuable confidant to the rookie defacto GM/VP of Football Opps.

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Seems like a guy with 32 years in scouting and an NFL player resume would be a valuable confidant to the rookie defacto GM/VP of Football Opps.

Because that statement goes along with this one...

You think looking at McDaniels draft results tells us anything?

Please...

broncosteven
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Where is the poster Joshua when you need him to make a case for the best Jewish scout ever?

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
The only people who know what he deserves or doesn't deserve work in the Denver front office. You think looking at McDaniels draft results tells us anything?

Please...

Also, if you really believe your first sentence, that kinda means you agree that you don't think he deserves the award. Because this outside organization wouldn't have a clue either.

But, for the record, the NFC winning black recipient was credited with the award because "he probably was involved in scouting Matt Ryan".

I mean... wtf

broncocalijohn
02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Also, if you really believe your first sentence, that kinda means you agree that you don't think he deserves the award. Because this outside organization wouldn't have a clue either.

But, for the record, the NFC winning black recipient was credited with the award because "he probably was involved in scouting Matt Ryan".

I mean... wtf

When did Matt Ryan become a rookie in 2010? Is this award given out only every few years? If it is a yearly award, I find it hard to hand our guy an award unless he had a hand in drafting our class of 2010. Was ours better than most? Im not sure. Did they perform better than most had our draft class rated? These are what would determine the award as relevant to the Broncos' scout. If it is just an award because of the color of his skin and it was his turn to get it then it is bogus. He has been a scout for many years and it seems there hasnt been a problem in hirings of blacks in this department or as coaches on NFL teams. I hope he actually earned it so we have something positive from this year and years to come.

That One Guy
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Like I said...pendulum. Deal with it.

And this is why I will cheer the day people like Sharpton are put into the ground. This sentiment just causes more racism. You say deal with it, white folk go up in arms about their freedoms being imposed upon by black people, and the racial divide just continues to revive itself. The only way equality can be attained is through the pursuit of equality - not the pursuit of vengence, not through the attempt to make up for past wrongs, but to look at the future and look toward equality.

You're contributing to the racial problems in our country as bad as anyone. Deal with that.

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Don't be ridiculous. John Wooten and Harry Carson? I bet they can figure it out.

Instead of b****ing about an award that should be no skin off anybody's back, how about asking how a bright guy like Cornell Green, who has a steller NFL players pedigree including a Superbowl ring and 5 pro bowl appearances, a sucessful stint in business and 3 decades of scouting...was never offered an opportunity to move beyond scouting? He's 70 now, to old to move up the ladder but where were his opportunities for advanccement back in the '70's, '80's and 90's? Does anyone seriously doubt Green who began scouting while still playing with the Cowboys, has been passed over during his career or overlooked because of race at least once or more during his 32 years in the business? In a league that didn't adddress diversity untill 2002? He probably deserves an award from this organization simply based on his longevity if nothing else. His selection is entirely in line with the team's mission statement, which is what matters, not whether a bunch of white guys think he "deserves it" or not. This guy probably "deserved" promotion a long time ago...why not just be happy he gets his due from someone now?

The Fritz Pollard mission statement makes it clear they're about promoting diversity...his selection is in line with that. Here's the mission statement:

The FPA was organized for the purposes of promoting diversity and equality of job opportunity in the coaching, front office and scouting staffs of National Football League (“NFL”) teams, by means including:

* Providing networking, mentoring and career development opportunities for minority candidates on NFL team staffs.

* Encouraging adoption of rules and practices by the NFL that foster diversity on team staffs.

* Educating NFL team owners and managers regarding the availability of minority candidates for team staff positions.

* Advocating the hiring and promotion of minority candidates in NFL team staff hierarchy through public education and communication with team and league ownership and management.

I can only wonder why anyone thinks this is a bad thing. If anything we ought to be glad we have a guy in the scouting department with this much experience. How backasswards is this...the VP of Football Opps has zero experience in the front office and he's the guy Bowlen turns to to right the FO ship, and the guy with 32 years in scouting can't even get some respect from the home team's fans. With all the yelping people were doing in here about McD and how he wasn't ready, now they're happy we have a veteran coach in Fox...but how about some recognition of how valuable experience is elsewhere on the team...such as the scouting department. It's only the backbone of the team right? ???

footstepsfrom#27
02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
And this is why I will cheer the day people like Sharpton are put into the ground. This sentiment just causes more racism. You say deal with it, white folk go up in arms about their freedoms being imposed upon by black people, and the racial divide just continues to revive itself. The only way equality can be attained is through the pursuit of equality - not the pursuit of vengence, not through the attempt to make up for past wrongs, but to look at the future and look toward equality.

You're contributing to the racial problems in our country as bad as anyone. Deal with that.
White people are having their freedoms imposed upon by black people. Good take...can't figure out why more people don't see it eh? Yes...our freedoms are in dire jeopardy because someone decided to stand up for diversity in the NFL.

Yes...also true, that little me...a poster on a football board, is ndeed "contributing to the racial problems as bad as anyone." Another solid take. Hilarious!

You're either an utter moron, or you have an agenda about blacks. Either way...not worth my time.

/END DISCUSSION

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 05:10 AM
White people are having their freedoms imposed upon by black people. Good take...can't figure out why more people don't see it eh? Yes...our freedoms are in dire jeopardy because someone decided to stand up for diversity in the NFL.

Yes...also true, that little me...a poster on a football board, is ndeed "contributing to the racial problems as bad as anyone." Another solid take. Hilarious!

You're either an utter moron, or you have an agenda about blacks. Either way...not worth my time.

/END DISCUSSION

If you're too ignorant to see it, you don't open your eyes to the world. I get the chain emails all day long of "look what they're doing here" from my hillbilly relatives and I can assure you, they resent everytime a concession or exception is granted on the case of race. Every. Single. Time.

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Don't be ridiculous. John Wooten and Harry Carson? I bet they can figure it out.

Instead of b****ing about an award that should be no skin off anybody's back, how about asking how a bright guy like Cornell Green, who has a steller NFL players pedigree including a Superbowl ring and 5 pro bowl appearances, a sucessful stint in business and 3 decades of scouting...was never offered an opportunity to move beyond scouting? He's 70 now, to old to move up the ladder but where were his opportunities for advanccement back in the '70's, '80's and 90's? Does anyone seriously doubt Green who began scouting while still playing with the Cowboys, has been passed over during his career or overlooked because of race at least once or more during his 32 years in the business? In a league that didn't adddress diversity untill 2002? He probably deserves an award from this organization simply based on his longevity if nothing else. His selection is entirely in line with the team's mission statement, which is what matters, not whether a bunch of white guys think he "deserves it" or not. This guy probably "deserved" promotion a long time ago...why not just be happy he gets his due from someone now?

The Fritz Pollard mission statement makes it clear they're about promoting diversity...his selection is in line with that. Here's the mission statement:

The FPA was organized for the purposes of promoting diversity and equality of job opportunity in the coaching, front office and scouting staffs of National Football League (“NFL”) teams, by means including:

* Providing networking, mentoring and career development opportunities for minority candidates on NFL team staffs.

* Encouraging adoption of rules and practices by the NFL that foster diversity on team staffs.

* Educating NFL team owners and managers regarding the availability of minority candidates for team staff positions.

* Advocating the hiring and promotion of minority candidates in NFL team staff hierarchy through public education and communication with team and league ownership and management.

I can only wonder why anyone thinks this is a bad thing. If anything we ought to be glad we have a guy in the scouting department with this much experience. How backasswards is this...the VP of Football Opps has zero experience in the front office and he's the guy Bowlen turns to to right the FO ship, and the guy with 32 years in scouting can't even get some respect from the home team's fans. With all the yelping people were doing in here about McD and how he wasn't ready, now they're happy we have a veteran coach in Fox...but how about some recognition of how valuable experience is elsewhere on the team...such as the scouting department. It's only the backbone of the team right? ???

Oh, so because he succeeded as a player and didn't get fired as a scout, it's racial? Why don't you, A, compare him to the other scouts and see where he ranks in terms of seniority and B, see if he has any actual accomplishments. As I sit here reviewing material about the scientific process, this is exactly why you don't prove hypothesis true. You can find facts to support a narrow vision and think your position substantiated. Lots of people get passed up on jobs and lots of qualified people get jobs. Just as you say we can't say whether he deserved it or not, you looking at a bio can't substantiate that he's been held down by whitey. I guarrantee you there's many 70 year olds that have been in football longer than he has that haven't reached the summit of their profession. It's a pretty difficult field to excel in.

And, just for simplicity's sake, try even some basic assumptive analysis like they did earlier and tell us who we're even taking from his regions that he should be even potentially getting credit for.

Prove something more substantial than SB+5 Pro Bowls+32 years = VP of football team because that equation is an absolute lie.

Kaylore
02-08-2011, 05:27 AM
This is usually where Footsteps just starts personally attacking everyone for disagreeing with him. He'll then be totally convinced he "won" the argument and start a thread where half the replies will be his own.

footstepsfrom#27
02-08-2011, 06:43 AM
This is usually where Footsteps just starts personally attacking everyone for disagreeing with him. He'll then be totally convinced he "won" the argument and start a thread where half the replies will be his own.
Actually it's where I choose to ignore you and your ilk. I do find it ironic that in a year so void of things to celebrate, race should get in your way of being glad for a guy who gets some long overdue recognition. Tebow got voted rookie of the week a couple times with heavy Denver fan involvement and probably wasn't the best choice, but who cares it's just a game right? Fans enjoyed it...pity some can't do the same here.

/END DISCUSSION/Kaylore

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Actually it's where I choose to ignore you and your ilk. I do find it ironic that in a year so void of things to celebrate, race should get in your way of being glad for a guy who gets some long overdue recognition. Tebow got voted rookie of the week a couple times with heavy Denver fan involvement and probably wasn't the best choice, but who cares it's just a game right? Fans enjoyed it...pity some can't do the same here.

/END DISCUSSION/Kaylore

Are you implying we rallied around Tebow because he's white? Or because he won an award that isn't divided along racial lines?

Just trying to make sure here.

TheReverend
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM

/END DISCUSSION/Kaylore

Bronco fans got Tebow the award because of the color of his jersey. This award.... not so much.

Kaylore
02-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry guys. This is my last post because Footsteps just ended me with a forward slash. Best of luck to all of you! Just remember "Only the Broncos know whether he deserved this, but Footsteps knows it's 'long overdue!'"

That One Guy
02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry guys. This is my last post because Footsteps just ended me with a forward slash. Best of luck to all of you! Just remember "Only the Broncos know whether he deserved this, but Footsteps knows it's 'long overdue!'"

LOL

Ray Finkle
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM

damn....I'll miss you....wait, I was ended with a slash too....

/END FINKLE aka the new 4 year old way to finish a message board disagreement.