PDA

View Full Version : Is it Racist?

Archer81
02-05-2011, 03:50 PM
U of Colorado Debates Whether It's Racist For Fans To Paint Their Faces Black

There's an interesting question being posed out in the Rockies regarding the University of Colorado fans' "Black Outs" concept. That question is this: "If white people paint their faces black at games, is that racist?"

...http://deadspin.com/5752473/u-of-colorado-debates-whether-its-racist-for-fans-to-paint-their-faces-black

:Broncos:

Requiem
02-05-2011, 03:51 PM
No wai Jose.

maven
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM

oubronco
02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Good Grief

tsiguy96
02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
gold is close to yellow, if they paint their faces gold, are they making fun of asians?

ghwk
02-05-2011, 04:27 PM
No wai Jose.

I think your response is racist. ROFL!

Los Broncos
02-05-2011, 04:28 PM
This cant be for real, really.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Meh. Depends on how they do it. If they do old school blackface, yeah, I think that could be seen as racist. If it's just black facepaint all over? Nah.

Come on, Boulder. You're making it REALLY hard for me to like you.

WolfpackGuy
02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Anyone remember lawn jockeys?

LOL

TDmvp
02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Anyone remember lawn jockeys?

LOL

Yea there is one across the street from me right now ... Some old couple has had it there since the 60s

TheReverend
02-05-2011, 04:49 PM
That? No.

If they tailgate with watermelon? Yes.

Ratboy
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.daemonstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ITS-ALWAYS-SUNNY-IN-PHILADELPHIA-Dee-Reynolds-Shaping-Americas-Youth-11-550x366.jpg

Blackface can be acceptable.. I don't think it's racist.

WABronco
02-05-2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.daemonstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ITS-ALWAYS-SUNNY-IN-PHILADELPHIA-Dee-Reynolds-Shaping-Americas-Youth-11-550x366.jpg

hahaha perfect example.

Miss I.
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
depends on context, in this I suspect its deliberate so they could get attention. If they want to do some sort of blackout there are other ways I suspect (dark clothes, sunglasses, etc). Not sure I'd say its racist so much as a need to create controversy. Even Raiders fans don't go all black face, they tend to do silver with black stripes or whatever. they could cammo their faces, but it wouldn't have the same attention grabbing thing as blackout which, being the jaded cynic I am, I tend to think is what they wanted.

Cmac821
02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
depends on context, in this I suspect its deliberate so they could get attention. If they want to do some sort of blackout there are other ways I suspect (dark clothes, sunglasses, etc). Not sure I'd say its racist so much as a need to create controversy. Even Raiders fans don't go all black face, they tend to do silver with black stripes or whatever. they could cammo their faces, but it wouldn't have the same attention grabbing thing as blackout which, being the jaded cynic I am, I tend to think is what they wanted.

<object width="459" height="55"> <param name="movie" value="http://ecdn3.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1292974223"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/vycztzdjzc.json"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://ecdn3.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1292974223" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/vycztzdjzc.json" width="459" height="55" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><span style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd; display: block; width: 440px; margin-left: 5px;"> (<a href="http://www.hark.com/clips/vycztzdjzc-sheeeet-negro" style="color: #aaa;">Link</a>) View more <a href="http://www.hark.com/collections/mmsxknnffb-ving-rhames" style="color: #aaa;">Ving Rhames Sound Clips</a> and <a href="http://www.hark.com/collections/znwfqxrjhg-marsellus-wallace" style="color: #aaa;">Marsellus Wallace Sound Clips</a></span>

That One Guy
02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Who gives a damn? Retards are protected as much as anyone else. They should worry about preserving freedom of speech since nobody can really define the racism thing.

Now, if it goes too far, those same retards should expect to get their asses kicked.

cutthemdown
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
It depends if black people want to say its racist. They decide remember? If they let it go then no biggie, if they get upset then its racist.

Jason in LA
02-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd say no.

Now that "Compton Cookout" and other college parties where the white students would paint their skin black and act like ghetto black folks, that's racist.

Kaylore
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
As long as it's not black face...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/24sB2hxrU3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vegas_Bronco
02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Segregation without representation...now that's racist.

OTHER THAN THIS...NOTHING IS RACIST. Its just jargon, a bad humored joke, or the devils burning truth that hurts a lil group unity.

BroncosSR
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Great episode...

HILife
02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
http://stezziedee.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/downey_2.jpg?w=500&h=320

HILife
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
gold is close to yellow, if they paint their faces gold, are they making fun of asians?

That's racist talk! Are you racist, son?

DarkHorse
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Of course it is. Expect Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to sue the makers of black paint next.

broncolife
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
How about those Redskins?

HILife
02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

lmao. Living in the DC area, time and time again I ask myself, "how do they get away with that?"

HILife
02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd say no.

Now that "Compton Cookout" and other college parties where the white students would paint their skin black and act like ghetto black folks, that's racist.

I LOVE COOKOUTS!!@@@!!!! Think I might have one for the Superbowl.

baja
02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
lmao. Living in the DC area, time and time again I ask myself, "how do they get away with that?"

Not just The Redskins mind you but the Washington (D. C.) Redskins. As if Washington D. C. had not persecuted the Native Americans enough, they had to go and make sure the gratingly racist word "Redskins" is seen and heard daily around the United States.

I think that is barbarically insensitive.

HILife
02-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Not just The Redskins mind you but the Washington (D. C.) Redskins. As if Washington D. C. had not persecuted the Native Americans enough, they had to go and make sure the gratingly racist word "Redskins" is seen and heard daily around the United States.

Seriously, it's no different then calling them the Washington N*****.

maven
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7p0Y1PPIDJY/S9nEPNB2PbI/AAAAAAAADWg/Yl6tmAWMJls/s1600/ClevelandIndians.jpg

maven
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I mean, really...

Mogulseeker
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Google "Dutch Sinterklaas Party"

Mogulseeker
02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tU5KJt-NgVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

baja
02-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Seriously, it's no different then calling them the Washington N*****.

No other way to call it HiLife.

baja
02-05-2011, 09:16 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7p0Y1PPIDJY/S9nEPNB2PbI/AAAAAAAADWg/Yl6tmAWMJls/s1600/ClevelandIndians.jpg

Not the same. But I'm bettin you know that...

Riley
02-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Thing is... of all the groups that have sued the Redskins claiming they are racists.... it is always white people.

When any Native Americans are asked.... they like the logo and the name.
Native Amercian groups consistantly dont want it changed.

If there was a large outcry of Native Amercians against it.... they would have changed it by now.

baja
02-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Thing is... of all the groups that have sued the Redskins claiming they are racists.... it is always white people.

When any Native Americans are asked.... they like the logo and the name.
Native Amercian groups consistantly dont want it changed.

If there was a large outcry of Native Amercians against it.... they would have changed it by now.

If that is true I will change my mind but can you prove that is true?

Riley
02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Associated Press....
updated 2:21 p.m. ET Sept. 25, 2004

WASHINGTON - A poll of American Indians found that an overwhelming majority of them are not bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins.

Only 9 percent of those polled said the name of the NFL team is “offensive,” while 90 percent said it’s acceptable, according to the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey, released Friday.

Annenberg polled 768 Indians in every state except Hawaii and Alaska from Oct. 7, 2003, to Sept. 20, 2004.

Riley
02-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I should have said... Most native Americans...

and that the white groups who sued used
a few native Americans as their front in the lawsuit.

I apologize for using absolutes in my initial post.

One should not use...
never or always...
there is usually an exception to every rule or group of people.

The same is true for Baseball..
the Atlanta BRAVES have won against all the lawsuits filed against them.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 03:08 AM
people should be able to paint themselves whatever color they want. Tat stoopid movie white girls doesn't offend people. It's just not funny. Likewise I don't know any of my black friends who were upset when Robert Downey did it. All my black friends would laugh at any stupid white person trying to be racist that way.

Now if they want to use fighting words, yeah they will cork off. But I think stuff like that should not be given much publicity.

We need to have a think skin, then just pounce on people that really do racist things. But lets not nit pick it or the whole world racists gets watered down and I dont think thats a good idea.

Let's keep that word something super ugly that mean you are a bad person. Not just some stoopid college kid that decided to go as a lawn jockey for halloween.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 03:10 AM
I should have said... Most native Americans...

and that the white groups who sued used
a few native Americans as their front in the lawsuit.

I apologize for using absolutes in my initial post.

One should not use...
never or always...
there is usually an exception to every rule or group of people.

The same is true for Baseball..
the Atlanta BRAVES have won against all the lawsuits filed against them.

The thing is I dont think when they picked braves they though it was hey they are savages, perfect. It was more like indian braves kicked ass and never gave up the fight no matter how outnumbered. Probably more respect from my point of view. So i think intent has to be considered,.

baja
02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Braves is not a derogatory word where Redskins is.

mikey555
02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Would somebody PLEASE take a baseball bat to all the liberal friggin TREE HUGGERS in Boulder and let the college kids enjoy rooting for the team the way they want to!!!

txtebow
02-06-2011, 07:27 AM
what a ridiculous concept to even have a debate about. OF course it is not racist.

fontaine
02-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Braves is not a derogatory word where Redskins is.

It was once a derogatory word yes. But definitions/conotations change all the time.

I don't find it to be racist. When I look at the logo, it's not a caricature or stereotype exageration. On the contrary.

Now, if there are Native Americans who do find it racist then obviously I'll give myself a big dose of STFU about it.

errand
02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
i'm suprised it's not being considered racist that they call it a "black out"......

Is it racist to use "white out"?

HILife
02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
i'm suprised it's not being considered racist that they call it a "black out"......

Is it racist to use "white out"?

Agreed, and since we are on the subject, why do they call it a Blackhole? Why can't it be the "dark hole," "light less hole," or "buttseck?" HUH, tell me that!

HILife
02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMvfEdTUO6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

errand
02-06-2011, 11:45 AM
how come we're the only country that does the whole 'African-American" or "Mexican-American' thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fuzLTrwVbc

errand
02-06-2011, 11:46 AM
In fact i think the only name that offends whites is being called "racist"

Pony Boy
02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
It was once a derogatory word yes. But definitions/conotations change all the time.

I don't find it to be racist. When I look at the logo, it's not a caricature or stereotype exageration. On the contrary.

Now, if there are Native Americans who do find it racist then obviously I'll give myself a big dose of STFU about it.

I'm Native American and all I say is "walk up to me and call me a redskin and see if you have any teeth left"......... so STFU

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm Native American and all I say is "walk up to me and call me a redskin and see if you have any teeth left"......... so STFU

Wow, if the rest of your people were as ferocious as you, we wouldn't be hanging out on your land.

Grow up, tough guy.

baja
02-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, if the rest of your people were as ferocious as you, we wouldn't be hanging out on your land.

Grow up, tough guy.

What a completely stupid thing to say Mock would be jealous.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
What a completely stupid thing to say Mock would be jealous.

Agreed... I was exaggerating. They probably wouldn't have stood a chance anyways. I was mocking him.

Pony Boy
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Grow up, tough guy.

Wow, nice comeback, what a classic racist statement.

Well, I'll put it another way walk up to any Native American (not just me) and call them a redskin to their face and see what happens. Walk up to a black man and call him a ****er or walk up to an Asian and call him a chink....

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Well, I'll put it another way walk up to any Native American (not just me) and call them a redskin to their face and see what happens. Walk up to a black man and call him a ****er or walk up to an Asian and call him a chink....

Nobody alive today has known the time when those comments actually carried any weight. People get offended because of sentiment from ages before they were even born. You're too sensitive if you let that nonsense get to you.

You can't ask for equality and then want special words protected because it makes you feel bad. Is that not an inequality?

baja
02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Nobody alive today has known the time when those comments actually carried any weight. People get offended because of sentiment from ages before they were even born. You're too sensitive if you let that nonsense get to you.

You can't ask for equality and then want special words protected because it makes you feel bad. Is that not an inequality?

Now I understand the title choice you made above your avatar.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Now I understand the title choice you made above your avatar.

It's time to move forward.

And I should correct my statement above. There are plenty that have faced true racism. There was obviously issues in the first half of the decade in the deep south and there are plenty of those alive today but the younger generation can't even know while the other generation surely sees the difference.

Dedhed
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
It's time to move forward.

And I should correct my statement above. There are plenty that have faced true racism. There was obviously issues in the first half of the decade in the deep south and there are plenty of those alive today but the younger generation can't even know while the other generation surely sees the difference.
You're digging an idiot hole, and you're "That one guy" in it.

Pony Boy
02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

From your posts here it's obvious you're a racist and the fact that your hanging around on land that once belonged to Native Americans doesn't mean that you are a member of a superior race of people.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
There are tens of thousands of Native Americans in the upper Midwest alone that face consistent bigotry on a daily basis. This isn't the first time TOG has shown himself to be culturally ignorant.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Sometimes I wonder what the point is.

I make a statement to make a point but also to see what some say in response. All we get is "you're ignorant" inputs. Should we just make an official post count boost thread and let people post things that don't contribute to anything?

I know it's a post of ignorance. I know that when I post it. The point is simply to see if anyone will try to defend the stupidity that we all accept into our daily lives because society demands we accept it.

Are there racists in the world? Sure. Would any deny that the original civil rights activists of 50 years ago would be f'ing elated to live in today's world? We may not be perfect but rather than appreciate the HUGE improvements that have been made, people want to sit around thumbing their nose at the system and wait for the last .0000001% that they think isn't rectified yet.

As I said... grow up.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:08 PM
From your posts here it's obvious you're a racist and the fact that your hanging around on land that once belonged to Native Americans doesn't mean that you are a member of a superior race of people.

I have nothing against anyone. I'm not claiming to be a member of any superior race. I was being an ass because you were trying to play the tough guy routine on a ****ing Broncos football board. If you didn't respond with a dickhead post, I would've moved right along.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
There are tens of thousands of Native Americans in the upper Midwest alone that face consistent bigotry on a daily basis. This isn't the first time TOG has shown himself to be culturally ignorant.

Really? Hyperbole, I hope. Otherwise you're ignorant and making absurd claims.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe you should just stop towing the line like a douche in every thread you go in. Just some advice.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Really? Hyperbole, I hope. Otherwise you're ignorant and making absurd claims.

If you've never been out to the Midwest and spent time on reservations, you can't make any claim against what I've experienced because you clearly weren't there.

Jason in LA
02-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I LOVE COOKOUTS!!@@@!!!! Think I might have one for the Superbowl.

I think we're talking about different types of "cookouts." ;D

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-ucsd-party-history,0,7744877.story

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/374632633_2916606898.jpg?v=0

baja
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Not to worry Chief the white boy will be a minority soon enough and in his case payback will be a major Biatch. I hope I live long enough to see these smug white boys that think racism is no big deal experience it on the receiving end....

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
If you've never been out to the Midwest and spent time on reservations, you can't make any claim against what I've experienced because you clearly weren't there.

Is that what you're referencing? Calling their presence on reservations bigotry?

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Not to worry Chief the white boy will be a minority soon enough and in his case payback will be a major Biatch. I hope I live long enough to see these smug white boys that think racism is no big deal experience it on the receiving end....

Haha... the sentiment behind it all. You don't want racism in it's current form - but you look forward to the day it turns in your favor?

My problem exactly. Nobody truly seems to want equality. They want to scream equality until they can't find a way to exploit it anymore. That last part is a presumption because not many have yet ceased screaming for equality so we don't know what it will take to stop it.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Maybe you should just stop towing the line like a douche in every thread you go in. Just some advice.

I'm not sure I've ever made a "look at this racism" thread. I just comment when I see others make stupid responses.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Is that what you're referencing? Calling their presence on reservations bigotry?

Their experiences and life on the reservation encompass an endless cycle of bigotry.

Cito Pelon
02-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Well, everybody is a racist at sometime in their lives. There's nobody that can claim holier than thou. Nobody.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure I've ever made a "look at this racism" thread. I just comment when I see others make stupid responses.

Like your genius comment regarding Christians in Lebanon!

ROFL!

baja
02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Haha... the sentiment behind it all. You don't want racism in it's current form - but you look forward to the day it turns in your favor?

My problem exactly. Nobody truly seems to want equality. They want to scream equality until they can't find a way to exploit it anymore. That last part is a presumption because not many have yet ceased screaming for equality so we don't know what it will take to stop it.

news for ya I'm a lily white white-boy from Maine, so much for your theory. I said what I did in the post you quoted because it is the only way some people learn, by direct experience.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Like your genius comment regarding Christians in Lebanon!

ROFL!

What is this, the 3rd or 4th time you've tried to reference that thread?

My point was made. Don't try to be a christian in the Middle East and just expect it to be all rainbows and unicorns. The Middle East is what it is. If taking what you perceive to be a gotcha moment makes you feel mighty, rock on.

errand
02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

and who's land was it before your ancestors were here? You think maybe the Geico cavemen might want to bitch about you guys taking it from them?

He never said his race was superior to anyone else's. He said that people are over sensitive about **** that happened hundred years ago. Nobody alive today that's Cherokee, or Iroquois or Apache has had to endure what their forefathers had to.

In fact our apolgetic government has made it alot easier for your race to get a head start vs those of his race with more money available to you than him in the form of reparations and grants, etc.

Imagine that, being treated special because of your race. I thought getting preferential treatment due to race was bad? If your so ****ing keen on ending racism, then end it....period, don't change who gets discriminated against to "get even" with someone else's race. Or do you believe racism is ok as long as it's your race that doesn't have to put up with it?

And his point is valid...if you want "equality" then you can be called a ****ing name just like every cracker out there can.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
news for ya I'm a lily white white-boy from Maine, so much for your theory. I said what I did in the post you quoted because it is the only way some people learn, by direct experience.

No matter what the case, in the same thread where the evils of racism are being discussed, you said you can't wait until others experience it.

You've said your desires. You don't want racism to go, you want me to experience it.

Cito Pelon
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Dude, relax.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
What is this, the 3rd or 4th time you've tried to reference that thread?

My point was made. Don't try to be a christian in the Middle East and just expect it to be all rainbows and unicorns. The Middle East is what it is. If taking what you perceive to be a gotcha moment makes you feel mighty, rock on.

You didn't make a point. You just proved how myopic you are on such topics. Lebanon has the most Christians in the region, and you obviously missed the point of the article entirely.

It doesn't make me feel mighty, it does help illustrate the nature you embody on the board though.

Given your background, it wasn't too predictable.

baja
02-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Dude, relax.

Relax? I thought you might be one to find the humor in the post.

Dedhed
02-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Well, everybody is a racist at sometime in their lives.
Some are proud of that fact, others are ashamed.

baja
02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Some are proud of that fact, others are ashamed.Good point. Is there a difference?

Dedhed
02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
and who's land was it before your ancestors were here? You think maybe the Geico cavemen might want to b**** about you guys taking it from them?

He never said his race was superior to anyone else's. He said that people are over sensitive about **** that happened hundred years ago. Nobody alive today that's Cherokee, or Iroquois or Apache has had to endure what their forefathers had to.

In fact our apolgetic government has made it alot easier for your race to get a head start vs those of his race with more money available to you than him in the form of reparations and grants, etc.

Imagine that, being treated special because of your race. I thought getting preferential treatment due to race was bad? If your so ****ing keen on ending racism, then end it....period, don't change who gets discriminated against to "get even" with someone else's race. Or do you believe racism is ok as long as it's your race that doesn't have to put up with it?

And his point is valid...if you want "equality" then you can be called a ****ing name just like every cracker out there can.
Someone's in desperate need of a history lesson.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Not true at all.

Especially when at some reservations, unemployment rate is six to seven times the natural average and half the people live below the federal poverty level.

Suicide is much higher on reservations compared to the rest of America. Five times the average in infant mortality. Lowest life expectancies in the Western Hemisphere.

Very few reservations have any structure or idea of organized education.

So, what exactly have we done to help Native Americans get ahead?

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
You didn't make a point. You just proved how myopic you are on such topics. Lebanon has the most Christians in the region, and you obviously missed the point of the article entirely.

It doesn't make me feel mighty, it does help illustrate the nature you embody on the board though.

I'd say my nature on this board is plenty predictable.

That aside, I clarified my point after you obviously misunderstood my intent. You've been riding all this off, what I believe, was a single sentence post of like 6 words. A drive by comment that suddenly you think just embodies how I feel.

As I told someone else in a recent thread, my opinions are out there and while I am not necessarily proud of them all, I don't back down and hide from them. No point trying to find crap to throw at me where it isn't. There's plenty that I say that isn't politically correct that you could fill one of these threads for days. Don't chase me around with a single post that had no content. That's just being lazy.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Not true at all.

Especially when at some reservations, unemployment rate is six to seven times the natural average and half the people live below the federal poverty level.

Suicide is much higher on reservations compared to the rest of America. Five times the average in infant mortality. Lowest life expectancies in the Western Hemisphere.

Very few reservations have any structure or idea of organized education.

So, what exactly have we done to help Native Americans get ahead?

Venture back into the real world, get off the reservation, and act like a big boy. Do they really think their casinos and smokes are gonna support everybody?

Suicide is high but so is drug use, alcohol use, etc, right? Sounds like they're drinking themselves to death in their own self-pity. Not an expert on the matter so I'm shooting in the dark here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reservation was a forced concept once upon a time but now they can venture back into the world. They can grow up, be big boys, and get a job in a city like everyone else has to face at some point in their life.

I will reserve my next tear for them though.

jhns
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes. Everything a University of Colorado fan does is racist.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Relax? I thought you might be one to find the humor in the post.

You call it humor... but it's exactly posts like that which would be deemed racist elsewhere.

Again, want it to stop, take the first step.

Now, just to clarify, I didn't even think racism when I crossed it. I just got the content and moved on. The difference between me and the racist-crying clowns.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Redskin.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
sorry it just doesn't sound bad lol I wanted to put it down so I could feel its impact.

Indians probably are pissed that word just doesn't invoke any strong feeling from non indians. Not like ****er does. Also the board doesn't censor it. If the board doesn't censor it then its not a bad world.

REDSKIN REDSKIN
****er ****er
Dick

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
see only dick and redskin made it through, the other words were censored by the all knowing Orangemane of tolerance!

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 01:51 PM
sorry it just doesn't sound bad lol I wanted to put it down so I could feel its impact.

Indians probably are pissed that word just doesn't invoke any strong feeling from non indians. Not like ****er does. Also the board doesn't censor it. If the board doesn't censor it then its not a bad world.

REDSKIN REDSKIN
****er ****er
Dick

LOL

This comes across as random thoughts falling out of your head. It had me chuckling for some reason.

I do love the board censor standard though.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Well I am being silly. But being more serious I think i made a point. Even though the term Redskin is offensive to some native Americans it just doesn't carry the stigma with whites or blacks. Even the n bomb being dropped in a room with no blacks in it will make whites feel uncomfortable nowdays. No one wants to be around racists anymore. But I think Redskin people don't bat an eye.

For some reason racism vs indians just not a big deal like it is against blacks.

I guess because they never adjusted well off the reservation and just have a huge drinking, drug problem. They lack a great leader to give them a voice to make the rest of country even care.

I can see how they get frustrated.

Requiem
02-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reservation was a forced concept once upon a time but now they can venture back into the world. They can grow up, be big boys, and get a job in a city like everyone else has to face at some point in their life.

You are wrong.

If these people aren't afforded basic and simple things we take for granted on a daily basis, like education, on their reservations, how are they supposed to do it in the real world?

People in reservations would be much more available to move out of them and assimilate into mainstream societies if the culture of poverty wasn't there and they actually had the skills and support to do so.

Not everybody comes from privilege.

baja
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Well I am being silly. But being more serious I think i made a point. Even though the term Redskin is offensive to some native Americans it just doesn't carry the stigma with whites or blacks. Even the n bomb being dropped in a room with no blacks in it will make whites feel uncomfortable nowdays. No one wants to be around racists anymore. But I think Redskin people don't bat an eye.

<b>For some reason racism vs indians just not a big deal like it is against blacks. </b>

I guess because they never adjusted well off the reservation and just have a huge drinking, drug problem. They lack a great leader to give them a voice to make the rest of country even care.

I can see how they get frustrated.

When Blacks decided as a group to kick your ass is you ever used the N word around them this is what got everyone's attention.

If Native Americans did the same as the Blacks did than we would have an "I" word.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
i think its racist to be racist.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
You are wrong.

If these people aren't afforded basic and simple things we take for granted on a daily basis, like education, on their reservations, how are they supposed to do it in the real world?

People in reservations would be much more available to move out of them and assimilate into mainstream societies if the culture of poverty wasn't there and they actually had the skills and support to do so.

Not everybody comes from privilege.

if people are willing to pu themselves on little boats and set adrift in the ocean for weeks ...to get a better life ... or are willing to risk the desert and all the shady things coyotes do to get here ... then i dont think it should be hard fro someone to get off the reservation. ... im sorry but your logic fails... its lazyness..

baja
02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
i think its racist to be racist.

Do you have to be racist to recognize racism?

Pony Boy
02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
and who's land was it before your ancestors were here? You think maybe the Geico cavemen might want to b**** about you guys taking it from them?.

First of all do a little homework on the term "Indigenous people” and second read the entire thread before you pop off about stuff you obviously know nothing about. Oh and third change your avatar to the Geico caveman.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Racism is not just for you or me... Racism can be for everyone.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 03:00 PM
First of all do a little homework on the term "Indigenous people” and second read the entire thread before you pop off about stuff you obviously know nothing about. Oh and third change your avatar to the Geico caveman.

People talk **** about white people all the tme. i suggest you get some thicker skin...

bronco0608
02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Oooh, a racism thread.

Sociology majors giving history lessons.

Out of work cab drivers calling people redskins.

One white guy tellin how bad they got it, other white guys tellin' em how good they got it.

This is good.

Very good.

Cito Pelon
02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
and who's land was it before your ancestors were here? You think maybe the Geico cavemen might want to b**** about you guys taking it from them?

Tht pretty much f'd up the rest of the rant.

Cito Pelon
02-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Which is a point unto itself.

cutthemdown
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
When Blacks decided as a group to kick your ass is you ever used the N word around them this is what got everyone's attention.

If Native Americans did the same as the Blacks did than we would have an "I" word.

Hmm thats a good point. The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Black leaders have done a good job just hounding that into the ground for yrs etc etc. I can't name one indian leader, but black leaders i can name a ton. Sharpton, Jackson. :)

I agree someone attacks you and you will shut up or put up pretty darn fast. Only about 4% of men are actually willing to fight. Truth is violence and aggressive behavoir can be effective.

Great point Baja.

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Which is a point unto itself.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3069084#post3069084

There's the thread he was referencing. Angryllama (because the name changes these days constantly), made a thread about the Lebanese Prime minister complaining about persecution. I said "Don't be a Christian in Lebanon then" and he replied and has now been hanging it over me like he owns my soul and I should quiver whenever he mentions it.

I really don't get his intent with it. It's not like I put my soul into the response. This has got to be the 4th mention of it though.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
28040http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3069084#post3069084

There's the thread he was referencing. Angryllama (because the name changes these days constantly), made a thread about the Lebanese Prime minister complaining about persecution. I said "Don't be a Christian in Lebanon then" and he replied and has now been hanging it over me like he owns my soul and I should quiver whenever he mentions it.

I really don't get his intent with it. It's not like I put my soul into the response. This has got to be the 4th mention of it though. bring out the gimp

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Oooh, a racism thread.

Sociology majors giving history lessons.

Out of work cab drivers calling people redskins.

One white guy tellin how bad they got it, other white guys tellin' em how good they got it.

This is good.

Very good.Broco0608 upping his post count...

That One Guy
02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Broco0608 upping his post count...

People joked about it a few times in threads and now I see some posts and that's my first thought.

Broncos_OTM
02-06-2011, 04:36 PM
People joked about it a few times in threads and now I see some posts and that's my first thought.

he aint gt nothing on mock...

listopencil
02-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh, for ****'s sake. The last time I was in Colorado (Longmont in early 2000) I was warned not to go back to Boulder. This is why.

Kaylore
02-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry but I'm of the opinion people need to get over what happened to their ancestors. I'm a native American in the technical sense. I'm very sorry someone's great grandpa got owned. If we could pay reparations to the grandpa, that would be great. However descendants aren't entitled to anything and I think if you are black, brown, red, green whatever, if you are born here you are just as "native" as Cherokee.

listopencil
02-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry but I'm of the opinion people need to get over what happened to their ancestors. I'm a native American in the technical sense. I'm very sorry someone's great grandpa got owned. If we could pay reparations to the grandpa, that would be great. However descendants aren't entitled to anything and I think if you are black, brown, red, green whatever, if you are born here you are just as "native" as Cherokee.

I am predominantly Scottish in ancestry. I really do have many, many other ethnicities thrown in but I would say mostly Scottish. With that being said:

White Slavery, what the Scots already know
by Kelly d. Whittaker

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/white_slavery.htm

Archer81
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I am a mutt. German, Russian, Irish and Italian. So...My German and Irish sides can sue my Italian side for slavery 2100 years ago, and my Russian side can sue the modern leaders of russia for serfdom.

So in a way I come out even.

WABronco
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Kill whitey!

That One Guy
02-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I am predominantly Scottish in ancestry. I really do have many, many other ethnicities thrown in but I would say mostly Scottish. With that being said:

White Slavery, what the Scots already know
by Kelly d. Whittaker

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/white_slavery.htm

I don't think I knew there was white slavery in the US.

Tombstone RJ
02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
This country is full of people who think they are "entitled" to something. Racism or perceived racisim might just be another way for a group to feel they are entitled to special treatment of somekind.

The fed gov wants everyone to feed off of it. We all are entitled to a certain wage, health insurance, retirement wages, free education, etc., etc., etc. Some people (minorities) are just more entitled than others.

No one is really responsible for themselves. Nope. Nah, forget that. If you are a fuggup, it's because of your parents and the schools, not because you are a born loser. Nope. point the finger, that's what our society is all about.

So, we are all entitled and we are all blameless for societies wrongs. It's a beautiful world...

Archer81
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Apparently some people have problems...

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/reputation/reputation_balance.gif</TD><TD class=alt1Active width="50%">Is it Racist? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3111817#post3111817) </TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap>02-07-2011 06:49 AM</TD><TD class=alt1 noWrap>txtebow (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=13906) </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">you're fat disgusting and GAY.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY id=collapseobj_usercp_reputation><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/reputation/reputation_balance.gif</TD><TD class=alt1Active width="50%">Is it Racist? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3111817#post3111817) </TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap>02-07-2011 06:49 AM</TD><TD class=alt1 noWrap>txtebow (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=13906) </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">you're fat disgusting and GAY.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

WWTTD?

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Alright... So let me see if I have this understood properly yet. Despite not being involved in any of the following:

Coming from German descent, I'm going to demand that the ancient Roman empire provide me with reparations for ages of needless assault. Then, I'm going to turn around and demand more from the Vatican for oppression under the Holy Roman Empire. Then, I'm going to have to give half of that to the Jews for a holocaust, and because I live in America, half to African Americans.

Cleo McDowell
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM

I am appalled and would like to request that you provide equal opportunity in usage / reference of racial slurs.

Pony Boy
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM

I think you are missing the point of the thread, no one was claiming to be butt hurt over the past or what has happened to their ancestors. One of the questions raised was, is the name “Redskins” a derogatory name? My answer was yes and if a person walked up to me and called me a “redskin” to my face, they might loose a few teeth. Several posters seemed to have a problem with that answer. My point is if you are traveling through South Dakota you wouldn’t stop and ask if any redskins are living around here, it’s a derogatory name that should disappear.

Beantown Bronco
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vj6FGepMkGI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vj6FGepMkGI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Quoydogs
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:tosh.comedycentral.com:313334" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/is-it-racist----alabama-political-ad">Tosh.0</a></b><br/>Tags: <a href='http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips'>Tosh.0 Videos</a>,<a href='http://tosh.comedycentral.com/'>Daniel Tosh</a>,<a href='http://tosh.comedycentral.com/segments/web-redemption/'>Web Redemption</a></p></div></div>:

rugbythug
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM

I did not know you were fat

Requiem
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Me either.

DarkHorse
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Tubby

TheReverend
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Is it racist part 2?

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96888

Requiem
02-07-2011, 12:06 PM
No.

sisterhellfyre
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Last time I checked, isn't black one of the school colors? Painting themselves black is no more racist in that context than all the other fans who paint themselves red, green, yellow, etc.

But we do need a rule against fans painting themselves blue. That's racist against the Blue Man Group and clearly intended to mock them.

HILife
02-07-2011, 04:36 PM

?

HILife
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I think we're talking about different types of "cookouts." ;D

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-ucsd-party-history,0,7744877.story

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/374632633_2916606898.jpg?v=0

LOL, yea that's not the cookout I was thinking of.

HILife
02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Game recognizes game.

HILife
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM

How did you do that?

Don Flamenco
02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd say no.

LOL they really do that?

broncocalijohn
02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I think only Footsteps#27 can tell us if it is racist or not. Typicle Boulder to even conceive this as being a racist topic until they brought it up.

broncocalijohn
02-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Txtetebow has gray and not able to give red neg rep. Seems he received more neggies than is allowed. Joke is on him.