PDA

View Full Version : OT Any coaches out there

uk bronco
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey guys do any of you coach football. If so what online resources do you use. I currently coach At Glasgow Uni in the UK college league and have been asked to be OC at a summer league team and am looking for some inspiration for writing a new playbook as we have several players from our rivals playing for the new team i want to go a different direction with this team.

Any advice from other coaches would be greatly appreciated particularly any good online resources you may use.

schaaf
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
what kind of competition are you going up against, just from what you said it sounds like a spread option would be best

zdoor
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I've coached youth and HS for 10 years now. What level are you coaching?

cmhargrove
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I've gotten some really good ideas, plays, game plans, and drills from the following site:

http://www.coacheslearningnetwork.com/

If you are interested in seeing the videos / downloading the articles, just PM me and I will give you my login info..

I have also purchased several books from the following site:

http://www.championshipproductions.com/

They have lots of good books on almost any system you could care to run.

Maybe you should talk about your personnel first. What tools do you have "in the shed?" Big O-line or fast O-line? Passing QB or running QB? What talent at RB and WR?

I believe in scheming to fit your talent, so the details might skew you in a different direction.

Vegas_Bronco
02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Whatever scheme you choose...practice the most important scheme of all...the 2 min drill.

Pony Boy
02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Don't ask McDaniels for advice.

SoCalBronco
02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't go for any of the Coaches Choice materials. They're overpriced for what you get (basic) and only about 40 minutes to an hour long, each. Championship Productions is not a whole lot better.

If you want to seriously get into this thing and acquire some detailed knowledge, your best bet and best bang for the buck would be buying a membership with Bill Williams. It is about $ 200.00 bucks but you get access to a library of several thousand videos (clinics and lectures). You can pick what you want to learn, it doesnt have to be scheme specific. He lists the video lists he has.

http://www.billwilliamsfcpga.com/

KipCorrington25
02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Don't ask McDaniels for advice.

Yeah don't follow the Denver Broncos model under McCheat and get rid of all your talent for scrubs, dare I list them?

Draft classes of '09 and '10 and all free agents since '09... they all suck pretty much suck. McCheat couldn't judge talent his way out of a wet paper bag, he's a total douche bag basically.

tsiguy96
02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah don't follow the Denver Broncos model under McCheat and get rid of all your talent for scrubs, dare I list them?

Draft classes of '09 and '10 and all free agents since '09... they all suck pretty much suck. McCheat couldn't judge talent his way out of a wet paper bag, he's a total douche bag basically.

wow, way to take a joke lightly. why do mods allow this?

cutthemdown
02-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Well I coached 2 yrs of flag football lol.

Ratboy
02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
I coached soccer last year..

We lost all games.. by a lot.

uk bronco
02-05-2011, 03:31 AM
thanks for all the advice guys. Its hard to say what level we are compared to the US but probably comparable to mid level high school. Glasgow Uni are almost at the halfway point of our regular season and are 3-0 we went unbeaten in the regular season last year but lost in the conference game of the playoffs so we hope to go one better. The problem is always finding a quarterback, next year because our QB graduates i will be running the spread option using our all star running back at QB and allowing his backup to step up and play TB who is a scary talent and runs a 4.3 40 but has only been playing for 2 months and is very raw.

Heres some videos of the Glasgow University Tigers (in black) last game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gutshiz#p/u/0/ExAJhgF0bMY

The summer league is open to anyone over the age of 18 so it is a very different game the players are all much bigger but also much slower so i'm thinking abour going with a three back as i have the speedy back from college plus a couple of dominant fullbacks but less talent and mobility at QB than the college team which scares me off using the option. Its our first training session back today so i will be trying to determine what talent we have and find the scheme that will best exploit that. Unfortunately there was a bit of a political fall out when the new head coach was appointed so a few folk have left.

I started playing football in 2000 and played Tackle the Centre for 5 years then moved to another uni and moved back to left tackle then played DE in the summer league. I have coaches WRs at Glasgow Uni for the last two years and been OC for this season also. I am hoping to do my teacher training over here then emmigrate to Either Texas or Canada and coach High School football in a couple of years.

I have been reading a couple of the coaches choice books i think they are pretty good guides . (especially Tim Stowers spread option book) and have a couple of Phil Fulmer and Bobby Bowden DVDs which are also quite useful. The coaches learning network stuff looks really useful i will send you a pm cmhargrove

thanks for all the tips guys. I will post again after practice.

uk bronco
02-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Highlights of Glasgow Uni Tigers first game of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUbKu-xoaSo

IF you watch it yes it did get called back for the trip