PDA

View Full Version : car caught on fire

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
my baby caught on fire. started flaming up, i didnt know what it was at first thinking the light orange was a reflection since i saw it through my windshield, then i started seeing smoke, pulled over and called the cops. fire department came, put it out and that was that, its totalled now, i just have to part it out.

heres a pic i took for insurance, not that i needed it.

big picture, sorry about that, my car is in the center and the orange is a flame coming from my hood. the cars behind me are ****ing stupid for stopping at a light right next to a car that is literally on fire.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7574/0203012209.jpg

Dukes
02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Not to be a dick, but that's the best pic you could manage? Can't really tell much from it besides some smoke. Looks like someone did a burnout right next to you.

Dukes
02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh and sorry your car caught on fire. Tough luck.

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Not to be a dick, but that's the best pic you could manage? Can't really tell much from it besides some smoke. Looks like someone did a burnout right next to you.

that is my car as its on fire. see that bright light in the center? thats a flame coming from ym hood. i took it for insurance because i was waiting for fire dept to come put the car out.

Vegas_Bronco
02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Make sure you check their total loss value figure against auction values and other resources...they have a way of understating replacement values on total loss cases.

Sorry to see it burn. Might be time for a new ford raptor...they eat fire for breakfast.

Dukes
02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
What kind of car is/was it?

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 09:23 PM
1996 eagle talon tsi awd. car itself isnt worth much, motor/head/turbo/ex mani/fmic were prolly 7k alone for this car, so i probably wont be able to take an insurance check given it wont be for much.

strafen
02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Do we need to send this pic to a NASA lab?
I can't see crap! ;D

strafen
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
1996 eagle talon tsi awd. car itself isnt worth much, motor/head/turbo/ex mani/fmic were prolly 7k alone for this car, so i probably wont be able to take an insurance check given it wont be for much.

Can you still part it out on what's salvageable as far as mods go?
If you've had a good turbo set-up, you could make some coin off of it...

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
ive been thinking of parting it for awhile because im living in south florida on GA money and dont need this car, but now i dont really have an option. was getting 12-14mpg on premium gas (3.69/gallon) down here.

Gort
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM

stop being a baby. just rub some dirt on it and it'll be good as new.

Dudeskey
02-03-2011, 09:32 PM
damn... sorry to hear that, man. hope the insurance is reasonable when it comes time to settle the claim.

Riley
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Car-B-Que.

My first truck got burnt. Long story... I'll spare you.

1950... Ford F-1...
flathead v-8 with the dual water pump motor mounts.

When I finaly got under the hood...
the aluminum Holly carbeurator I had put on it
had melted down into the intake manifold.
That motor was toast.

Riley
02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
damn... sorry to hear that, man. hope the insurance is reasonable when it comes time to settle the claim.

He'll be offered Blue Book value most likely...
on a 96? Not gonna be much.

TDmvp
02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Sorry Tsi , nice ones of those are cool little cars.

Pony Boy
02-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Hillis drove a 96 talon

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
He'll be offered Blue Book value most likely...
on a 96? Not gonna be much.

even with turbo AWD, maybe 1500. my block is worht more than that.

broncocalijohn
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM

No ****! We did at least get more than a one sentence thread/post from TSI. TSIguy, show us the charcoal leftover from the burn. BTW, had a 1989 Talon and bought it 2 months after they came out and loved that car. 4 banger, 16 valve. What turned me on to the car was the Pike's Peak Poster of the Talon winning that year's contest. Taking that car up the mountains to Big Bear was awesome. Nowadays, the Toyota Sienna just doesnt do it but that is the family car.

TheReverend
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Somewhere Sureshot is missing this...

Archer81
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Time for a screen name change.

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM

damnit, youre right.

posterformerlyknownastsiguy96

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
McDguy?

broncocalijohn
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM

Pure awesome! We need to laugh at other's misery.

tsiguy96
02-04-2011, 05:08 AM
tow bill alone is 1 weeks pay, not to mention i have no where to take the car so i cna start pulling parts off to sell as the place i live now will just have it towed for being non operational. i have liability comprehensive insurance so i dont think fire is covered in that, but either way given the value of the aftermarket stuff i probably wouldnt take their check offer anyway

chadta
02-04-2011, 05:50 AM
i have liability comprehensive insurance so i dont think fire is covered in that, but either way given the value of the aftermarket stuff i probably wouldnt take their check offer anyway

1st sorry about yer loss dood

2nd you can always argue with insurance on value

3rd least you saw flames, i had a car smoking under the dash, but i had the fire department put it out real quick, car full of water, smoke damage inside but because no actual flame was seen insurance told me to screw off.

That One Guy
02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
tow bill alone is 1 weeks pay, not to mention i have no where to take the car so i cna start pulling parts off to sell as the place i live now will just have it towed for being non operational. i have liability comprehensive insurance so i dont think fire is covered in that, but either way given the value of the aftermarket stuff i probably wouldnt take their check offer anyway

While it sucks, my first thought reading this was "who has full coverage on a '96?". Part it out or get the parts, pick up another one, have a project and preserve the screen name.

Archer81
02-04-2011, 07:37 AM
With All-state you can avoid mayhem like that.

jhns
02-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I had that happen before but I wasn't a little girl about it. When I was 17 I was driving my moms mini van when it caught on fire. I opened the hood to flames shooting up well over my head. I dumped the pop in my hand on it then rolled it down part of this hill to a yard and jacked some guys hose to put it out myself. I got it in time so that only melted wires and some hoses needed replaced. It ended up being the fuel line burst because it was half sawed through when the transmission was replaced. The same shop did all of the repairs from the fire for free.

It was a good time.

bowtown
02-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Somewhere Sureshot is missing this...

I know, I really hope he swings by while this is still on the front page.

broncogary
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I had that happen before but I wasn't a little girl about it. When I was 17 I was driving my moms mini van when it caught on fire. I opened the hood to flames shooting up well over my head. I dumped the pop in my hand on it then rolled it down part of this hill to a yard and jacked some guys hose to put it out myself. I got it in time so that only melted wires and some hoses needed replaced. It ended up being the fuel line burst because it was half sawed through when the transmission was replaced. The same shop did all of the repairs from the fire for free.

It was a good time.

Lucky you were on top of a hill. :~ohyah!:

crazyhorse
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you winds up being the best thing to happen to you.

Look at it this way. Now you can buy you a real hot rod. ;)

bowtown
02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you winds up being the best thing to happen to you.

Chiefs fans love to tell themselves this.

jhns
02-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Lucky you were on top of a hill. :~ohyah!:

Oops, did I say down hill. I meant I picked up the burning car and carried it two miles up a hill in three feet of snow to the closest hose. The weird thing was the snow as it was the middle of summer.

Dutch
02-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, TSI. My wife owned a '92 AWD model back in '93. We swapped vehicles as I had a long commute to work up in Quantico, VA and my Jeep CJ-7 needed some work/tires. She was in Albany, Ga and just needed something to get around on base. I had an absolute blast in that car. With the narrow and winding back roads of Virginia being my route to work, that car put a smile on my face every day going to and from the base. Looks like the 95-96 TSI AWD models are holding their value pretty well ($6k-7k). Auto trader has a few of them out there. Looks like several are in the Southeast:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?position=top&systime=&doors=&model=TALON&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1296841084202&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2012&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&color=&address=30062&sort_type=priceDESC&rdpage=100&awsp=false&max_price=&num_records=100&seller_type=b&make=EAGLE

Keep us posted on what you end up doing on this one. Just as a side note, an automotive fire extinguisher is an accessory that rarely ever gets used. It is priceless when needed, though.

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM

don't forget the sweeet paint job... it's all gone now...

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Are you gonna get another TSI to keep your poster name, or are your TSI days OVAH!

That One Guy
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
If the car does actually have value and he does have fire protection, can't you take slightly less from the insurance and keep the car? I know we did it in the past when I was a kid but don't know the rules anymore.

That One Guy
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Are you gonna get another TSI to keep your poster name, or are your TSI days OVAH!

ChevyVoltGuy11?

Priusguy06?

MinivanMan08?

I think he should make a poll and let the Mane choose the new car.

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
ChevyVoltGuy11?

Priusguy06?

MinivanMan08?

I think he should make a poll and let the Mane choose the new car.

He should go green... ridingmybike11, hoof'nit11, busrider11...

tsiguy96
02-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Look at it this way. Now you can buy you a real hot rod. ;)

my favorite car ever was my 03 mustang GT, shame i had to sell it at the time. i really would like to get another once i finish school.

don't forget the sweeet paint job... it's all gone now...
sometimes things cost money that people dont have, but thanks for being a dick about it.

Houshyamama
02-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Time to get one of these to replace it:

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
sometimes things cost money that people dont have, but thanks for being a dick about it.

dude, chill out. I can give you one piece of advice that has served me well over the years, don't get too attached to material possessions. I had a sweeet jeep that I spent hella money on (after market stuff) and my fuggen girlfriend rolled the thing, well, that is money GONE. Insurance didn't give a crap out all the extras.

Best of luck on a new car and try to find the humor in life...

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Time to get one of these to replace it:

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

I'd love one of these things...

http://www.campagnamotors.com/

tsiguy96
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
dude, chill out. I can give you one piece of advice that has served me well over the years, don't get too attached to material possessions. I had a sweeet jeep that I spent hella money on (after market stuff) and my fuggen girlfriend rolled the thing, well, that is money GONE. Insurance didn't give a crap out all the extras.

Best of luck on a new car and try to find the humor in life...

im not stuck on the car, im stuck on the fact that this happened at one of the worst possible times it could happen to me financially, and you are sitting still ripping on the car as it was before. im almost glad to be out from under that car, premium gas and 13mpg werent fun, but now i dont have a car, no money and a ton of responsibilities that i have to try and make it to. on the plus side, insurance is covering the cost of a rental car for me until i get an answer with insurance, but either way im getting the car back given the value of the parts under the hood.

DarkHorse
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Hate to see another enthusiasts car go down, sorry to hear it. Had a couple buddies lose their cars into the wall at the track, another burned down while welding the engine bay holes shut - burned the entire car and garage to the ground.

GoHAM
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
<object width="459" height="55"> <param name="movie" value="http://ecdn3.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1292974223"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/kgsptbdnvx.json"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://ecdn3.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1292974223" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/kgsptbdnvx.json" width="459" height="55" wmode="transparent"></embed> </object> <span style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd; display: block; width: 440px; margin-left: 5px;"> (<a href="http://www.hark.com/clips/kgsptbdnvx-but-sorry-about-your-car-man" style="color: #aaa;">Link</a>) View more <a href="http://www.hark.com/collections/wlrhxrtbkz-richard-hayden" style="color: #aaa;">Richard Hayden Sound Clips</a> and <a href="http://www.hark.com/collections/kmxmylmklt-thomas-tommy-callahan-iii" style="color: #aaa;">Thomas 'Tommy' Callahan Iii Sound Clips</a> </span>

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your car, but this clip has been stuck in my head since I first read about your car.

tsiguy96
02-05-2011, 04:29 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2894/dsc01269q.jpg

tsiguy96
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
MAf, fuse box, basically all hoses and electronics on that side of car melted. intake, head, block, turbo, exhaust mani all seem ok, timing belt was untouched. that pipe had all the powdercoating burned off. FMIC also seems ok and radiator may or may not be.

That One Guy
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2894/dsc01269q.jpg

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something went terribly wrong in there.

I'm not much of a car guy so what do I know?