PDA

View Full Version : HS QB Recruit - Need Feedback

Vegas_Bronco
02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
A friend is a high school recruit looking for some feedback at the quarterback and LB position (plays both ways)..#16.on the field.

He's receiving some good interest from universities out west but is looking for any feedback you guys might have. Thank you in advance.

Richard Murphy (lassenpride)
Lassen High
Susanville, CA

6'-4"
215 - 220 lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmrZ8GdexI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-aF0aLDKY&sns=em

I can't place where I have seen the lower level release from?

I am committed to seizing the opportunity and overcoming any obstacle. Never more was this true than when I lead the Lassen High School Varsity Football team, for the first time in school history, to a back-to-back Section titles while starting both ways and achieving honors status, education is a high priority to me. By my coaches (Tom St. Jacques, Head Football Coach #### me / tom.stjacques@lassenhigh.org), and teammates I am considered to be a natural born leader. Through hard work and an unparalleled work ethic I have lead primarily through example both on and off the field and in doing so have earned my teammates respect and trust. I am a physical Quarterback (6'4" / 220 lbs.), considered a "dual-threat" (Bench 315 / Squat 415), with speed (4.6 forty), size and the ability to make good decisions on both sides of the ball. During the off-season my commitment to excellence is evident in the camps and combines I've attended. They are listed below, starting with academic/athletic awards. Thank you for your time.

ACADEMIC/ATHLETIC AWARDS: Most Valuable Player Award (MVP) All Section Team; All League Quarterback; All Scholastic Team (Football and Baseball); Lassen High School Athletic Recognition; National Society of High School Scholars; Honor Roll; Most Accurate Quarterback Competition (Boise Football Camp); All League Baseball.

CAMPS AND COMBINES:

(2010) Manning Passing Academy; Athletic Connection Combine (Best QB Award); Nike Camp @ Stanford--Invite Only; Senior Elite @ Vanderbilt; All Camp Awarded @ Gold Beach Football Team Camp; Boise State Football Camp; Varsity Sports Group; Steve Clarkson Dream-Makers Tour; (2009) Boise State Football Camp; Gold Beach Football Team Camp; Athletic Connection Combine; National Athletic Testing System Combine; (2008) Southern Utah University Football Camp; Schuman's National Underclassman Combine; National Testing System Combine; (2007) USC Football Camp Air 7 QBU Training Program. Given the opportunity, I will not let you down.

Thanks again for your time. Sincerely, Richard Murphy

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them r

Doggcow
02-04-2011, 12:35 AM
I hear Alabama pays pretty well. I'd look into them.

McDman
02-04-2011, 04:20 AM
He drops his arm back waaaay too far.

Bronco Boy
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
See, the problem is you're assuming any of us actually know anything about football.

cmhargrove
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Broken Link?

Can't seem to see the video.

uk bronco
02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Video's not working. The University of Glasgow is always looking for experienced QBs and has exchange programs/international programs to suit any most programs of study. Plus their OC/QBs coach is amazing

TheReverend
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
A friend is a high school recruit looking for some feedback at the quarterback and LB position (plays both ways)..#16.on the field.

He's receiving some good interest from universities out west but is looking for any feedback you guys might have. Thank you in advance.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3D8DmrZ8GdexI&v=8DmrZ8GdexI&gl=US

I can't place where I have seen the lower level release from?

Broken linkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Vegas_Bronco
02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmrZ8GdexI&sns=em

I apologize...here is his profile. He is a senior and has the desire to play for someone who believes he can have a role on their team regardless of position. He also wants to get a good education.

I have helped a lot of young HS players find teams...but honestly as many QB camps as I've been to, I still don't know much about the granular skills required such as footwork, release, or play action/boot footwork transitioning to a college game. I played too much TE.

C'mon we have some old HS athletes here don't we?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=LassenPride

I apologize...here is his profile. He is a senior and has the desire to play for someone who believes he can have a role on their team regardless of position. He also wants to get a good education.

I have helped a lot of young HS players find teams...but honestly as many QB camps as I've been to, I still don't know much about the granular skills required such as footwork, release, or play action/boot footwork transitioning to a college game. I played too much TE.

still broken

Kaylore
02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=LassenPride

Quit linking things on your profile.

Vegas_Bronco
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Quit linking things on your profile.

Im iphone retarded!!!! How can I imbed the video w/an iphone droid lovers?

Works with the right link for two min and then changes...

Richard Murphy Lassen High School, Susanville, CA

TheReverend
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
5 star thread

WABronco
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I got some advice. SUCK A HUGE D THAT WILL GET YOU PLACES

cmhargrove
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
OK, the kid looks like a hell of an athlete, but the film is really confusing.

First, change the title of the youtube clip to include his jersey number (after his name). Sometimes you have a very short period to get everyone's attention.

Second, I don't know if he is a quarterback at the next level, but he is surely a gifted "athlete." He may be a linebacker, safety, rb, or something else.

Third, you might consider recompiling the clips into "offense" and "defense" so coaches can get a feel for how he would fit in their scheme. It is a little confusing figuring out whether we are watching him on offense or defense.

Finally - where does he want to go? Is he looking for a primo football experience, or the best education? What is most important to him? What year is he in school? Is he a graduating senior? If so, he is really late in the recruiting process, but there may still be spots available. He will have somewhat of an uphill climb this late, but there are still opportunities.

Tell us a little more info before we can help...

Vegas_Bronco
02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
OK, the kid looks like a hell of an athlete, but the film is really confusing.

First, change the title of the youtube clip to include his jersey number (after his name). Sometimes you have a very short period to get everyone's attention.

Second, I don't know if he is a quarterback at the next level, but he is surely a gifted "athlete." He may be a linebacker, safety, rb, or something else.

Third, you might consider recompiling the clips into "offense" and "defense" so coaches can get a feel for how he would fit in their scheme. It is a little confusing figuring out whether we are watching him on offense or defense.

Finally - where does he want to go? Is he looking for a primo football experience, or the best education? What is most important to him? What year is he in school? Is he a graduating senior? If so, he is really late in the recruiting process, but there may still be spots available. He will have somewhat of an uphill climb this late, but there are still opportunities.

Tell us a little more info before we can help...

Great feedback! Thank you. He is a senior and has interest from Boise State, UNLV, Utah and Fresno St and a few others. He would like to.stay out west but has just mom at home and is willing to relocate. I know it is extremely late in the process and thus I am asking for help as he's gotta make his presentation right the first time. I can get the film in front of the coaching offices...its just a lot of athleticism and im not sure how you say 'I played qb and here's all my skills but im going to play where you need me'...in a 5 min clip.

Your suggestions on that are really spot on...breaking the clip up into his athleticism and positional highlights is an exclnt start.

TheReverend
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Finally found the vid in the sea of broken links. My comments based on what you can tell from a HS highlight reel (mine made me look like Chuck ****ing Cecil and I kinda sucked):

Very athletic kid
Good change of direction
Pretty big arm (nice 50 yard, in the air, throw)
Great touch on the ball
Seems to have nice size and speed without knowing measurables

Written off flaws that he has:
All HS kids have ****ty mechanics
All HS kids look skinny

Written off potential question marks:
There's no such thing as coverage in HS football

Questions:
Size, age, academic performance?
How tough was the conference he played in?
How far did the team go?
Awards (all state/all american. no one gives a **** about all conference unless that conference wins state)?
Relationship with coaches (they have a HUGE influence in recruiting for non top tier kids)?
Is he open to a position change (a good chunk of skill position college players are former HS QBs)?
How are his hands?
Does he play other sports? If so, which? Other sports awards? (a lot of recruiters look for successful basketball and track outings, and baseball pitching for QBs)

I'd love to see a complete LB vid too. And some that aren't strictly highlight reels.

TheReverend
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Great feedback! Thank you. He is a senior and has interest from Boise State, UNLV, Utah and Fresno St and a few others. He would like to.stay out west but has just mom at home and is willing to relocate. I know it is extremely late in the process and thus I am asking for help as he's gotta make his presentation right the first time. I can get the film in front of the coaching offices...its just a lot of athleticism and im not sure how you say 'I played qb and here's all my skills but im going to play where you need me'...in a 5 min clip.

Your suggestions on that are really spot on...breaking the clip up into his athleticism and positional highlights is an exclnt start.

Are you pushing UNLV?

hookemhess
02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Height/weight/40?

Vegas_Bronco
02-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Are you pushing UNLV?

Not necessarily. As you know coaches at utah, unlv, montana, u of arizona, oregon, boise state and even colorado and a lot of other schools move around and ate inter-related as they have coached around the west and my college coaches also were great ones.

I love UNLV but ultimately its his choice. Would love to see him get to a bigger school also.

Off topic, but check this out:
Www.unlvnow.com

Here is another vid broken down...still need to add a 40 time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-aF0aLDKY&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyu_P9a5AU8&sns=em

Vegas_Bronco
02-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Height/weight/40?

6-4 height
215 - 220 weight
40 time I don't have yet.

elsid13
02-05-2011, 05:12 AM
I guess I am a little confused. Is he a senior now? or he raising this up coming year? did he get any offers at all or he going to try to walk on?

He appears to have the size to play Div I and the athletic ability also shows.

cmhargrove
02-05-2011, 08:14 AM

You are right about being late in the process, so the real issue is making an impact NOW, while you are in the signing period. Don't worry about everything being perfect, just get out his info immediately! The NLIs (national letter of intent) went out on Feb 2, and expire within 14 days - so on Feb 16th, there may be one or two unclaimed scholarships, but big D1 schools have pretty extensive backup plans. So, once again, your friend is behind the 8 ball here.

What does he want? He needs to be very clear on this. Does he makes good grades, and is the most important thing his education and career, or is he driven by football alone?

I'm sure there are lots of fantastic D2 programs out west that would love to have a shot at him, and could give him a great education. In all honesty, if a division 1 program hasn't at least asked him to be a "preferred walk on," then the chances are almost zero that he will initially get a scholarship (to those schools). Coaches win and lose their jobs over this, so it's a pretty serious issue.

I would check the d2 schools out west that have a great football / academic reputation, because they are most likely to have some money left. If he really, really has the dream to play division 1 football, the next choice is for him to find the best Junior College (recruiting wise) in the area and talk to them. If he is good enough, he will certainly find a spot at a bigger school ( with no transfer issues) within 1-3 semesters.

Hope that helps - time is of the essence, get your stuff out everywhere. Send it, email it, post it one YouTube. Especially, look on the online staff directories for each football team and start emailing positional coaches AND recruiters. Harass them until they turn you away.

Good luck...

Vegas_Bronco
02-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I guess I am a little confused. Is he a senior now? or he raising this up coming year? did he get any offers at all or he going to try to walk on?

He appears to have the size to play Div I and the athletic ability also shows.

Yes he is a graduated senior looking to start spring ball for a university this month.

TheReverend
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
6-4 height
215 - 220 weight
40 time I don't have yet.

Claim you hand timed him at 4.4. They'll write that off to inaccurate but at least you put the possibility in their heads :)

Vegas_Bronco
02-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Claim you hand timed him at 4.4. They'll write that off to inaccurate but at least you put the possibility in their heads :)

Great help you guys. I just put the entire package together today and thanks to many we should have.some great contacts. Anyone else here have cousins or friends that can get the fil and a letter in front of a recruiter? I know he would greatly appreciate it:welcome: and he said 'God Bless'when we got off the phone...def a tebow fan.

schaaf
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Also, make sure you send full game film. Coaches can care less about highlight films. They want to see every play.