PDA

View Full Version : dennis allen interview

titan
02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Dennis Allen was interviewed on Vic And Gary's show this morning. Listen to it hear:

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=740&f=68640

I like what he said about keeping Champ. Summary below:

Why come to denver?

I wanted to come to a place building from ground level, a chance to establish a championship team. I have alot of respect for Fox, Xanders, Elway

does this defense need a complete retooling?

no I see some things that will help. We are going to try to find out what our guys do well and emphasize that

3-4 or 4-3?

We are going to do what is best for the team. Need to evaluate more.

Will Fox be heavily involved in defense?

I think it'll work out fine - we have a good working relationship. I'd be crazy not to listen to him.

talent on existing defense?

there are certain areas that need upgrading. increase our athleticism and speed.

champ?

he is a piece to the puzzle and a significant piece. we'd love to have him back. our financial people have to figure out the way to get that done.

forcing turnovers?

got to live it everyday. alot of people talk about it but don't live it. we'll emphasize it in minicamps and practice

pass rush?

there's alot of different ways to get pressure on qb. You have to do get the qb to hold the ball longer so he doesn't have quick decisions. It's not just the rush, not just the cover guys. We got to coordinate those elements.

you are familiar with nfc and not the afc?

We spent alot of time evaluating our current personnel. Who do we have and what can they do well. As we proceed and come up with a defensive plan then we'll look at other teams in the AFC.

biggest need?

haven't identified it yet but we know what we need to do to get better

supermanhr9
02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I like this guy. Sounds to me that he wants to earn some respect. Gotta love what his results with the DB's in New Orleans. They are ball hawks down there. Also, soudns to me that Champ is definitely coming back.

Chris
02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Let's hope this Dennis builds us a menacing defense..........

TheReverend
02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Cautiously optimistic. He talks a good game, that's for sure. Let's see the product.

Broncoman13
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Cautiously optimistic. He talks a good game, that's for sure. Let's see the product.

Never count out an A&M product. I've known a lot of former Aggies, I've never come across an Aggie that didn't put in the work necessary to be great. He'll do well for us!

TheReverend
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Never count out an A&M product. I've known a lot of former Aggies, I've never come across an Aggie that didn't put in the work necessary to be great. He'll do well for us!

Putting the work in doesn't necessarily equate to success in that profession.

Gcver2ver3
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
i've been listening to talk for years now, and its the same ole results defensively...all of the DCs have said the right things...i'm only interested in results at this point...

also, i could almost care less about anything at this point until i know for sure that Champ is re-signing...

Kaylore
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
This goes back to what I said earlier when everyone was wringing their hands over how "no one wants to coach here!!!" False. There are guys like Dennis Allen who relish the opportunity to try and turn something around.

Chris
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
You might say Allen is....

http://www.wrl.org/programs/Concerts09-10/Denver_files/rocky-mountain-high-pr-shot.jpg

supermanhr9
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey Reverend,,, your Avatar is bad ass.

Smiling Assassin27
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Putting the work in doesn't necessarily equate to success in that profession.

This.

I don't know Dennis Allen from Steve Allen, so I can only wish him well, welcome him to Denver, and trust that Foxy picked the right dude.

Tombstone RJ
02-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Allen definitely has the generic-say-nothing interview down.

titan
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Allen definitely has the generic-say-nothing interview down.

True he didn't say much but what I got out of it:

The coaches really want Champ back.

He kind of downplayed the need for a good pass rush (saying the cover guys are important too). Tells me Peterson is not out of the picture for the #2 pick.

Dedhed
02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
there's alot of different ways to get pressure on qb. You have to do get the qb to hold the ball longer so he doesn't have quick decisions. It's not just the rush, not just the cover guys. We got to coordinate those elements.

I like this. It's exactly what I've been saying in the argument for Peterson. The front end isn't more or less important than the back end. It's more about symbiosis than anything else.

MaloCS
02-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I like this. It's exactly what I've been saying in the argument for Peterson. The front end isn't more or less important than the back end. It's more about symbiosis than anything else.

So true. The key is to get the components of the defense working together instead of fighting against each other. Success can be had if every player as well as the coaches are all on the same page and moving in the right direction. Pure, Pro Bowl talent at select positions means nothing if the squad as a whole is inefficient, confused and playing out of position.

Unfortunately, the revolving door at the defensive coordinator position has had this unit in disarray for the last half of the past decade. New schemes on a yearly basis which require existing personnel to play out of position seem to be the norm here in Denver. This squad, above all else needs to start with consistency at the coaching position and consistency with the scheme. Only then will this unit get their identity and only then will the front office be able to draft the correct players.

Consistency and patience is a must if the Broncos want to turn the defense around. The coaches have to have the courage of their convictions to stay the course and not jump ship if there's a stretch during the season where things get bad. Instead of panicking and switching schemes at the first sign of adversity they HAVE to dig in and compensate with better coaching and better player performance. I truly hope the front office and coaches realize this process is going to take a couple of years and they have the intestinal fortitude to see it run it's course.

FantomForce
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
You might say Allen is....

http://www.wrl.org/programs/Concerts09-10/Denver_files/rocky-mountain-high-pr-shot.jpg

COLORADO

TheReverend
02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Reverend,,, your Avatar is bad ass.

Thanks, I think so, too. Montrose posted a thread from Tebow's Raiders start, I think, with a ton of awesome high def pics and I snatched and cropped that one within a couple minutes.

Bigdawg26
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
100 percent agree that defense needs to get faster and more athletic

Traveler
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Since Allen did coach DB's in NO, it's a good bet he's partial to players at that position.

Bowers or Peterson. I won't be upset if we land either of the two.

baja
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Ya when I read that my first thought was ya we're gonna draft Peterson, yay!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Let's hope this Dennis builds us a menacing defense..........

I see what you did there.

Austin Bronco Fan
02-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Since Allen did coach DB's in NO, it's a good bet he's partial to players at that position.

Bowers or Peterson. I won't be upset if we land either of the two.

He also coached the D-line in NO and in ATL.

This guy's well rounded. His resume suggests an improvement is near for Denver's squad.