PDA

View Full Version : Movies

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Anything good playing right now? Green Hornet looks stupid...anyone seen it?

willyallthewei
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Fighter and True grit if you haven't seen those.

No strings attached (saw with gf) is surprisingly funny.

FantomForce
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Fighter and True grit if you haven't seen those.

sure

Smiling Assassin27
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

You can pretty much bet dollars to doughnuts that if Seth Rogen's in it, it'll largely insult your intelligence but be good for some laughs.

schaaf
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
True Grit, just saw it last weekend.

Well worth the money

vancejohnson82
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
The Fighter was great

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
We went and watched True Grit last weekend, and while I thought Jeff Bridges played his part well, I didn't care for it all that much-maybe because I kept comparing it the original-

OBF1
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Going out to see a moive is plain stupid.

1) Pay up to $15.00 ea to view said movie
2) Have to listen to idiots talking on their god damn cell phones
3) Having to see other idiots phones light up because they feel they need to text during movie... Then they have to talk to their buddy to catch up on what they missed while texting.
4) The obnoxious sound of people digging thru their popcorn containers is only surpassed by listening to people chew their fu ck ing popcorn with their mouths open.
5) freeking children and teenagers flapping the gums during the entire movie.

With the cost of going out to see a flick, it is cheaper to buy a blue ray version of the same movie and watch it at home on your very own super system (We all have them to watch sports on anyways) At home you can watch at whatever time you choose, Do not have to drive in traffic to get to movie theatre, wasting gas, time and wear and tear on your vehicle, waiting in line and paying high prices for junk food that you can have at home for 25% of the cost.

Did I leave anything out???

Rohirrim
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM

3) Having to see other idiots phones light up because they feel they need to text during movie... Then they have to talk to their buddy to catch up on what they missed while texting.
4) The obnoxious sound of people digging thru their popcorn containers is only surpassed by listening to people chew their fu ck ing popcorn with their mouths open.

With the cost of going out to see a flick, it is cheaper to buy a blue ray version of the same movie and watch it at home on your very own super system (We all have them to watch sports on anyways) At home you can watch at whatever time you choose, Do not have to drive in traffic to get to movie theatre, wasting gas, time and wear and tear on your vehicle, waiting in line and paying high prices for junk food that you can have at home for 25% of the cost.

True. I've given up on going to the movies. People don't know how to act in public anymore. I've got a 60" Panasonic HD flat screen with theater sound. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD and pay $5 to watch it, and make my own popcorn with real butter for about fifty cents a bucket.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
The Fighter and True Grit were both excellent films.

I think The King's Speech was well worth the money and time, and should (I hope) win best picture at the Oscars.

schaaf
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
We went and watched True Grit last weekend, and while I thought Jeff Bridges played his part well, I didn't care for it all that much-maybe because I kept comparing it the original-

I thought it was pretty similar to the original.

But this one was directed more to the novel and they did a pretty good job of that. I liked Jeff Bridgers as Rooster Cogburn. I didn't much care for Matt Damon's part. I just can't ever see him in a western.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Thats all well and good for you, but people will continue to go to the movies because its a cheap form of "going out." From a social viewpoint, humans feel the need to "go out" to support/nourish a semblance of "having a life" A movie requires a drive/a few hours of time/ and is usually an enjoyable form of entertainment. People usually combine this with a dinner to make an entire night out of it so that, on monday, when they are at the water coolor and someone asks what they did over the weekend, they dont have to respond with "nothing"

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I just say no to Ashton Kutcher.

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Anyone seen The Way Back? Looks pretty good.

http://www.thewaybackthemovie.com/

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Thats all well and good for you, but people will continue to go to the movies because its a cheap form of "going out." From a social viewpoint, humans feel the need to "go out" to support/nourish a semblance of "having a life" A movie requires a drive/a few hours of time/ and is usually an enjoyable form of entertainment. People usually combine this with a dinner to make an entire night out of it so that, on monday, when they are at the water coolor and someone asks what they did over the weekend, they dont have to respond with "nothing"
Not only that it also gets you out of the house and away from the 5 kids. ;D

bfoflcommish
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
ok i see alot of people saying The Fighter, but is it really that good? I had a feeling about the movie before it came out, then I seen the satire websites that show the "if movie poster told the truth" and this is what they have

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/media/NewsJan2011/the-fighter.jpg

dont get me wrong i like the wrestler, but im glad I watched at home instead of shelling out money at theater. So is it along those lines of a movie?

misturanderson
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM

But this one was directed more to the novel and they did a pretty good job of that. I liked Jeff Bridgers as Rooster Cogburn. I didn't much care for Matt Damon's part. I just can't ever see him in a western.

Anyone comparing the new True Grit to the old one negatively have to be looking at it with some sort of nostalgia. The only differences between the new one and the old one were positive. Every single part was acted better than the original (maybe not Ned Pepper, Duvall played that part very well), the plot was more true to the book, screenplay was written better and obviously the effects were better. Glen Campbell and Kim Darby were absolutely terrible in the original.

bfoflcommish
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM

4) The obnoxious sound of people digging thru their popcorn containers is only surpassed by listening to people chew their fu ck ing popcorn with their system (We all have them to watch sports on anyways) At home you can mouths open.

With the cost of going out to see a flick, it is cheaper to buy a blue ray version of the same movie and watch it at home on your very own super watch at whatever time you choose, Do not have to drive in traffic to get to movie theatre, wasting gas, time and wear and tear on your vehicle, waiting in line and paying high prices for junk food that you can have at home for 25% of the cost.

wow, you have a ****ty movie theater where you go. Other than the $15 tag since we do imax and sometimes 3d, none of the others apply, and we have lots of kids and teenagers at our movie theaters I go too

Hercules Rockefeller
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
You can pretty much bet dollars to doughnuts that if Seth Rogen's in it, it'll largely insult your intelligence but be good for some laughs.

I just want to be entertained for a few hours so it takes a lot for me to dislike a movie, but I almost walked out of the Green Hornet. It was not funny at all.

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM

We agree on the Mattt Damon thing, and the girl wasn't even close to as good as Kim Darby portrayed it-

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I just want to be entertained for a few hours so it takes a lot for me to dislike a movie, but I almost walked out of the Green Hornet. It was not funny at all.

I thought the Green Hornet was supposed to be like the TV Show-it wasn't funny either-

Bronco Boy
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
ok i see alot of people saying The Fighter, but is it really that good? I had a feeling about the movie before it came out, then I seen the satire websites that show the "if movie poster told the truth" and this is what they have

dont get me wrong i like the wrestler, but im glad I watched at home instead of shelling out money at theater. So is it along those lines of a movie?

Well the Fighter is a true story and the Wrestler is not, so if anything the Wrester is "The Fighter, but with wrestling". Also I think Wahlburg was pitching the movie before the Wrestler was even around.

misturanderson
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
We agree on the Mattt Damon thing, and the girl wasn't even close to as good as Kim Darby portrayed it-

There is no way, that I can tell, that anyone in their right mind could watch both versions and have this opinion. If you like horrible overacting with bad timing then Glenn Campbell and Kim Darby were better. Otherwise Matt Damon (though he wasn't great in his role by any means) and especially Hailee Steinfeld were infinitely better. Jeff Bridges acted circles around John "I play every part exactly the same" Wayne as well.

misturanderson
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Well the Fighter is a true story and the Wrestler is not, so if anything the Wrester is "The Fighter, but with wrestling". Also I think Wahlburg was pitching the movie before the Wrestler was even around.

Not to mention that they are in no way similar types of stories.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

its also...nothing like the wrestler. at all. thats a total fail

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
There is no way, that I can tell, that anyone in their right mind could watch both versions and have this opinion. If you like horrible overacting with bad timing then Glenn Campbell and Kim Darby were better. Otherwise Matt Damon (though he wasn't great in his role by any means) and especially Hailee Steinfeld were infinitely better. Jeff Bridges acted circles around John "I play every part exactly the same" Wayne as well.

OK, I agree on the Glenn Campbell thing, but Matt Damon isn't much better, like when he says' Your Eye"-I almost spit my Drink out. As for John Wayne, I mean, he is John Frickin' Wayne, although I thought that Jeff Bridges did play it very well-oh well, I guess there goes my Movie Critics job-ROFL!

Chris
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I heard The King's Speech was excellent. "A better movie" than true grit says my roommate... though True Grit was infinitely enjoyable for us both.

bfoflcommish
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
its also...nothing like the wrestler. at all. thats a total fail

glad to hear!

thx

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
That's what I have this place for. Ha!

houghtam
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
As someone who runs a movie theater, I find some of the comments about foregoing the theater experience for home both amusing and frustrating.

I can say that at any movie theater I've run (I've had the pleasure of being at 5 of them), horseplay and cell-phone usage is kept to a minimum as much as humanly possible. But there's only so much monitoring the staff can do on a budget...that's the frustrating part. You can blame the film companies and actors for this, not the theaters. On a $10 ticket, the theater receives usually only between $2 and $3, sometimes much less; the film companies get the lion's share. This is also why theaters are forced to charge high prices for concessions...that, and the filthy people who come in to watch the movies can't pick up after themselves. Those auditoriums are not self-cleaning.

The amusing part is when I hear people say things like "I'll stay home and watch it on my system for 25% of the budget." If you can enjoy a movie on much less than 25% of the viewing field on half the resolution and a tenth of the sound quality, more power to you.

The person who said humans are social beings is right. Theaters aren't going anywhere, and in fact are one of the most stable businesses there is, regardless of what crap Hollywood is spewing out in any given month.

OBF1
wow, you have a ****ty movie theater where you go. Other than the $15 tag since we do imax and sometimes 3d, none of the others apply, and we have lots of kids and teenagers at our movie theaters I go too

Well then, you must be the asshole that is on the phone or texting your friends while others want to just watch a movie without interruptions.

I guess soda and popcorn are only a dollar each in your home town.

HAT
Anyone seen The Way Back? Looks pretty good.

http://www.thewaybackthemovie.com/

This has been on my radar for a few weeks and probably the only movie I will see in theaters this month. Let me know if you see it before I get around to it.

If you're a fiction reader & this kind of movie interests you....Check out 'Last of the Breed' by Louis L'amour. I loved L'amour Westerns as a kid but this is one of his few novels that take place in modern day (Well, the 80's anyway).

From Publishers Weekly
Readers of L'Amour's Westerns and his recent medieval saga The Walking Drum will not be disappointed by this contemporary epic. Proving that he is above all a great raconteur, the prolific L'Amour sets his latest in Siberia where a downed American test pilot, Joseph "Joe Mack" Makatozi, has been taken after his capture by the Russians. Part Sioux, Joe Mack escapes prison only to face the seemingly impossible odds of getting across Siberia to the Bering Strait, where like his ancestors, he can cross into North America. Joe Mack is a classic American hero, thrown back into the wilderness and forced to rely on his wits and his ancestral skills to survive the deadly cold and elude his Soviet pursuers, including his nemesis, a Siberian tracker. L'Amour brings the same colorful realism to this sweeping adventure that has made his Westerns so beloved.

OBF1
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
As someone who runs a movie theater, I find some of the comments about foregoing the theater experience for home both amusing and frustrating.

I can say that at any movie theater I've run (I've had the pleasure of being at 5 of them), horseplay and cell-phone usage is kept to a minimum as much as humanly possible. But there's only so much monitoring the staff can do on a budget...that's the frustrating part. You can blame the film companies and actors for this, not the theaters. On a $10 ticket, the theater receives usually only between $2 and $3, sometimes much less; the film companies get the lion's share. This is also why theaters are forced to charge high prices for concessions...that, and the filthy people who come in to watch the movies can't pick up after themselves. Those auditoriums are not self-cleaning.

The amusing part is when I hear people say things like "I'll stay home and watch it on my system for 25% of the budget." If you can enjoy a movie on much less than 25% of the viewing field on half the resolution and a tenth of the sound quality, more power to you.The person who said humans are social beings is right. Theaters aren't going anywhere, and in fact are one of the most stable businesses there is, regardless of what crap Hollywood is spewing out in any given month.

So your movie theatre is running 2160I...because my blue ray is 1080 and my sound system is professional grade Cerwin Vega with an almost 300lb sub woofer in the closet.... I have had bottles and glasses fall off my bar playing my system at less than 50%

As far as the cell phone use, it is appearant that you are not in SoCal... every ass feels it is their right to use their phone anytime during the movie they feel like it... The cost is not the big issue, it is the assholes that ruin the experience.

HAT
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM

I avoid all of this by going at off times. I like to save a few movies up and hit the mega-plex at like 4pm on a Sunday and watch 2-3 movies for like $10.

Saw True Grit, Black Swan & Tron a few weeks ago and there weren't more than 25 people in either theater.

Maybe I was the annoying one checking scores on my phone every 30 minutes though. :wiggle:

Archer81
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Its all about timing. "Movie night" does not have to be on the weekend. If teenagers are free friday night through sunday, go Friday during the day if possible or thursday night. Dont go opening night. Go to "good" theaters. If I want to be annoyed as ****ing possible, I go to Pueblo...if I want to pay attention to the flick, I go to the one in Canon or the half dozen in Colo Springs.

:Broncos:

Rohirrim
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

The amusing part is when I hear people say things like "I'll stay home and watch it on my system for 25% of the budget." If you can enjoy a movie on much less than 25% of the viewing field on half the resolution and a tenth of the sound quality, more power to you.

The person who said humans are social beings is right. Theaters aren't going anywhere, and in fact are one of the most stable businesses there is, regardless of what crap Hollywood is spewing out in any given month.

That's the major problem. How many movies does Hollywood come out with every year that force me to get out to the theater? I love the theater experience. I want the huge screen and the amazing sound, and I don't mind paying good money for the experience. But I want an experience. Where are the epic films? Where are the three hour movies that can only be truly appreciated on the big screen? Star Wars. LOTR. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Lawrence of Arabia. These were movies that you had to see on the big screen. The majority of movies Hollywood comes out with now are crap. Face it. And a big screen picture is only made every five years or so, if we're lucky. The rest are small screen pictures they try to sell on the big screen.

That's another thing. The multi-plex is not the same thing as the old big screens. Remember the Continental down on Monaco and Hampden? Those places are all gone.

vancejohnson82
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I've got an Asian guy who comes into my bar and sells high quality DVDs...its perfect...havent been to the movies in months but I get to see all of the new stuff in the comfort of my own home

although they did just open up a movie theatre that serves food and drinks and it kind of interests me a little bit

ghwk
02-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Ha HA! I have kids, I haven't seen a first run movie in YEARS. Finally saw the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo as few nights ago. Surprisingly good.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2011, 04:02 PM
So your movie theatre is running 2160I...because my blue ray is 1080 and my sound system is professional grade Cerwin Vega with an almost 300lb sub woofer in the closet.... I have had bottles and glasses fall off my bar playing my system at less than 50%

As far as the cell phone use, it is appearant that you are not in SoCal... every ass feels it is their right to use their phone anytime during the movie they feel like it... The cost is not the big issue, it is the a-holes that ruin the experience.

go to the arclight. problem solved

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
That's the major problem. How many movies does Hollywood come out with every year that force me to get out to the theater? I love the theater experience. I want the huge screen and the amazing sound, and I don't mind paying good money for the experience. But I want an experience. Where are the epic films? Where are the three hour movies that can only be truly appreciated on the big screen? Star Wars. LOTR. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Lawrence of Arabia. These were movies that you had to see on the big screen. The majority of movies Hollywood comes out with now are crap. Face it. And a big screen picture is only made every five years or so, if we're lucky. The rest are small screen pictures they try to sell on the big screen.

That's another thing. The multi-plex is not the same thing as the old big screens. Remember the Continental down on Monaco and Hampden? Those places are all gone.

Well hollywood is attempting to make them, and unfortunately for a lot of us writers, thats all they are trying to make these days. Thats why youll see a lot more 3-d, tentpole movies over the course of the next few years. Now, you may not like the ones they are coming out with ( and i agree, they are **** ), but they go big at every turn.

That One Guy
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm playing single parent for some time so I'm checked out of the movie scene for a bit but I'm intrigued to see Hall Pass when the time comes. It has the potential to boom or bust. Most likely bust but I'll give it a shot.

AZorange1
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Jeff Bridges did do a great job while it was weird seeing Matt Damon act like wuss. Found it very difficult not to compare to the original also and largely because of that, didn't think that highly of it.

Rohirrim
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Well hollywood is attempting to make them, and unfortunately for a lot of us writers, thats all they are trying to make these days. Thats why youll see a lot more 3-d, tentpole movies over the course of the next few years. Now, you may not like the ones they are coming out with ( and i agree, they are **** ), but they go big at every turn.

Yeah, these massive FX saturated films are like cotton candy. They look really big but they have no substance. You consume the whole thing and feel as if you've eaten nothing. If you're a writer, I'm sure you've heard of Robert McKee's Story. I wish somebody in Hollywood would follow that. We want great stories, not cotton candy!

TheReverend
02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
True Grit was great. The Dilemna was okay... worth the money and time at least.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, these massive FX saturated films are like cotton candy. They look really big but they have no substance. You consume the whole thing and feel as if you've eaten nothing. If you're a writer, I'm sure you've heard of Robert McKee's Story. I wish somebody in Hollywood would follow that. We want great stories, not cotton candy!

Yeah, theres a lot of good material out there thats being ignored for a few reasons. Since the strike, the paradigm changed and studios are buying less movies, but more expensive ones (and "safer bets") I forget the exact figures, but i think the five major studios last year bought maybe 20 original specs combined (not based on anything pre-existing, not including sequels, etc). That aint much. And the indie market is/will always be very tough as it relies on stars aligning. Because theres less work, lesser writers (like myself:) find themselves with much less money opportunity unfortunately. I option things in the indie market from time to time, but getting anything made is incredibly difficult these days.

Chris
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I've got an Asian guy who comes into my bar and sells high quality DVDs...its perfect...havent been to the movies in months but I get to see all of the new stuff in the comfort of my own home

although they did just open up a movie theatre that serves food and drinks and it kind of interests me a little bit

Except for the fact that that's piracy... just saying (I work in entertainment).

vancejohnson82
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm playing single parent for some time so I'm checked out of the movie scene for a bit but I'm intrigued to see Hall Pass when the time comes. It has the potential to boom or bust. Most likely bust but I'll give it a shot.

I gave up on "Hall Pass" when they so clearly ripped off a Dane Cook joke...."Why are you bringing a helmet into the bar?" - "Girls love guys with motorcycles"

put.....a.....bullet.....in......my......brain

That One Guy
02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I gave up on "Hall Pass" when they so clearly ripped off a Dane Cook joke...."Why are you bringing a helmet into the bar?" - "Girls love guys with motorcycles"

So it's already out?

And I don't get the joke either... but was never big on Dane Cook so I haven't seen much of his material.

vancejohnson82
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
So it's already out?

And I don't get the joke either... but was never big on Dane Cook so I haven't seen much of his material.

its about not having a motorcycle, but just bringing the helmet around with you as if you own one.....and then hitting on girls....its a really cerebral Dane Cook type joke

they also use "So how much does a polar bear weigh?" --- "Just enough to break the ice"

I got it on a nice bootleg

Crushaholic
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Green Hornet was surprisingly entertaining. Whoever put together the trailer, though, needs to be fired. It did not give a person a good sense on what the movie is about. It's not something you need to see in 3-D, though...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Are you upset that someone stole a ****ty Dane Cook joke?

I skipped that one because it just doesn't look funny. Too many obvious jokes, not enough interesting material. The use of a Cook joke just cements that.

Dutch
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM

Agree with everything above,
couple of things I would add off the top of my head:
6) Beer (or wine if you prefer)
7) No obnoxious kid kicking the back of your seat (or the obnoxious parent you get to deal with if you get sick of putting up with it)
8) Pause for head calls and more beer without missing any of the movie
9) Unidentifiable sticky substance on seats/armrests
10) Lack of legroom

If my wife and I do choose to go to the theater to see a film that just "has" to be seen there, we take an afternoon off and go during the week.

vancejohnson82
02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Are you upset that someone stole a ****ty Dane Cook joke?

I skipped that one because it just doesn't look funny. Too many obvious jokes, not enough interesting material. The use of a Cook joke just cements that.

oh, i could care less about poaching Cook's material.....

the fact that the writers would use that material is another subject entirely...hence, why it doesnt appeal to me

Bronco Vixen
02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I just say no to Ashton Kutcher.

I'd say that's a pretty solid life credo right there.

Bronco Vixen
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Which really means that they so clearly ripped off a Louis C.K. joke :)

houghtam
02-01-2011, 07:34 PM

As far as the cell phone use, it is appearant that you are not in SoCal... every ass feels it is their right to use their phone anytime during the movie they feel like it... The cost is not the big issue, it is the a-holes that ruin the experience.

Yes. Any digital cinema runs a 1980x2160. True film is essentially even higher than that, as digital cinema will never be able to approach the depth film is capable of. How many watts/Hz is your "professional grade" audio system? IMAX runs at around 40,000, conventional theaters usually between 25-30k. Like I said, if you're happy with that, more power to you. I personally enjoy the movie experience because the places I go actually care about providing that for the customer.

As far as Hollywood's writing goes, yeah it's a shame. Back in early January we were looking at the movies we were playing and laughing because all but one (Black Swan) were either a remake (True Grit), sequel (Little Fockers), or something that had been done before. But you can't just blame Hollywood, you've got to put the blame on its viewers, too. They wouldn't keep making movies like Scary Movie (Dance Flick, Disaster Movie, et al) if people didn't go see them. I'd also blame the '08 writers strike, as it usually takes 2-3 years to create a quality film, and we're right in the thick of Hollywood's recovery from that. The sad thing is that Hollywood will probably learn that the public is perfectly fine with rehashed crap, so no need to pay for original thought. It will be up to revolutionaries to take it upon themselves to think outside the box.

I did read McKee's Story, too...it was an excellent read. A lot of people could learn from the quote "A good story...well told," regardless of whether you're writing for the screen.

baja
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Yes a few things.

Theater too cold

Seats uncomfortable

Sound too loud

People with gobbs of cheep smelling crap on then that fill the whole theater.

Paying 12 bucks to see a movie and being force fed 15 minutes of too loud commercials.

Not being allows to bring in your own food.

People kicking the back of your chair.

People laughing in the wrong spots.

People.