PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most underrated player on the Bronco's Defense currently on the roster?

KevinJames
02-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Who do you think is?

In my opinion Renaldo Hill is the most underrated defensive player on the Broncos catches a lot of hate for the jets game but other than that he was one of the best Broncos in the secondary behind Champ Bailey this past season I know hes not a ball hawk, not a hard hitting powerhouse and hes not an athletic freak he just plays it safe back there he makes the calls in the secondary rarely is it his fault that something goes over his head outside of the jets game, if a play leaks through the d-line or LB core its either him, Dawkins or Champ making the tackle the just an overall smart player defines the word safe in safety.

For the record I don't feel Haggan, Ayers or Mays is underrated by many fans so I didn't include them.

Baba Booey
02-01-2011, 02:24 AM
I went with Woodyard. Delivers big hits, plays within his limits, and shows pretty decent play recognition.

Definitely a solid backup at the very least.

bronco0608
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Woodyard -- can't stay on the field. He is basically useless. What good is talent if he is the training room all season?

Thomas -- doesnt' want it, and never will. To get kicked off a major college football team like when you are major talent, you have to break big time rules over and over. He did it. He's the co-worker who shows up to work and lets everyone know he doesn't give a ****.

Hunter-- doesn't have the second gear to make impact plays consistently. Watch him. He will get past he guy, but the if the qb scrambles the other way, Hunter is in a full trot towards the guy. No desire to make the big play. The ability? yes. Desire? no. He stays on the NFL rosters because of his talent, but he doesn't want it enough to be a bigtime player. Satisfied with being mediocre.

Hill-- get by on intelligence. nothing more, nothing less.

Haggan is the most underrated defender on the team. Great leader, passion for the game. Gives what ever he has on the field. Damn near a 100 tackles this year. Physical. Can play multiple positions. Love him.

NUB
02-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Justin Bannan.

Ratboy
02-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Since I have to choose from these..

Marcus Thomas.

Ratboy
02-01-2011, 05:09 AM
and with us switching to a 4-3, we need to keep Thomas on this team.

broncogary
02-01-2011, 05:46 AM
and with us switching to a 4-3, we need to keep Thomas on this team.

Now Woodyard can take over the WLB spot.

chanesaw
02-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Bannon or Goodman.

Gcver2ver3
02-01-2011, 07:24 AM
i'm not sure anyone on our defense is really underrated, and i definitely don't think any of the guys on the poll were underrated...

1. Hill was brought in to be an impact safety and he did have his moments but not worthy of consideration for being underrated...

2. Jason Hunter is a player that i actually overrated (i tend to do that often)...after watching him in preseason i thought he was in for a big season...he had his fair share of struggles this year, with a few flashes...certainly not an undderated player IMO...

3. Marcus Thomas may be the only player worthy of consideration...it depends on your expectations of him...some thought he was camp fodder, so if you're that guy then yes, he was underrated...i thought all along he was a serviceable D-lineman coming into this year, and thats just what he was....serviceable...

4. Woodyard has been overrated on this board for a long time...people keep calling him a playmaker and all that but the guy still can't stay on the field as a long term starter...i didn't come away overly impressed with him this year...he was better in previous yrs IMO...perhaps because of the system...in a 4-3 he's effective as a WLB but so is DJ...that dilemma has been there for years now...

TBO...when you have one of the worst defenses in NFL history, it's hard to pick out underrated players...

Missouribronc
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I think the question here is: Who is left after the purge?

I think Marcus Thomas and Renaldo Hill have a chance to be left. i don't see Fox sticking with midget linebackers who have a tendency to overrun plays.

goldengopher1976
02-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I voted for Thomas--showed something this season. now for consistency.

I've always wondered why the announcers pronounce Woodyard's name the way they do...they all say "WoodYAARD", like he's a Norse god. Why not pronounce it "Woodyerd" like everyone else with that name?

tsiguy96
02-01-2011, 07:33 AM
jason hunter was easily the best pass rusher this year, and made several impact plays on defense, not that the defense really had any impact plays.

Jesterhole
02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't think you can underrate the bottom of the barrel...

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 08:15 AM
How about Joe Mays?

OABB
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Marcus Thomas easily.

schaaf
02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Marcus Thomas Or Woodyard.

I've always wondered what the hell is on Woodyard's arm

Bronco Boy
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Bannan

tsiguy96
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
anyone seen woodyard on twitter? no idea what hes ever talking about

PRBronco
02-01-2011, 09:59 AM
anyone seen woodyard on twitter? no idea what hes ever talking about

Haha seriously. There's a couple I had to stop following on twitter, I'm just too white.

Also good call everyone that said Bannan.

PRBronco
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
jason hunter was easily the best pass rusher this year, and made several impact plays on defense, not that the defense really had any impact plays.

Best statement to sum up why our D was so bad imo :(

Oh but definitely more shutdown corners would fix it.

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Marcus Thomas became a NFL Player this year . He was always getting chop Blocked..he was always on his ass .this year he found a way to stay on his feet and get into the back field way more than in the past.

Our DL coach seems to be getting threw to him .

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Marcus Thomas IMO might become special in the next few years.

Carmelo15
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
D.J. Williams on this board. He gets so much hate on here sometimes I read some of the comments on here and wonder if we were watching the same game. Its unbelievable sometimes

Dedhed
02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
On that list, Woodyard is the most underrated. His impact in the final games was palpable.

Marcus Thomas is greatly undervalued by most on the OM. Overall our DL is undervalued. They take the blame for LBs and Safeties who are utterly the worst in the league in playing the run.

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
D.J. Williams on this board. He gets so much hate on here sometimes I read some of the comments on here and wonder if we were watching the same game. Its unbelievable sometimes
well they probably want the tackler to do it around around the line of scrimmage not 7 yards after a first down . impact is not DJs strong suit. now two years ago I thought he did have a good season but Nolan is gone...so !?!?!

misturanderson
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM

I agree with this. Everyone talks about how he never makes impact plays, but he played a huge part in most of our goal line and short yardage stands that we had this past year and his sacks were often very timely.

Dedhed
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree with this. Everyone talks about how he never makes impact plays, but he played a huge part in most of our goal line and short yardage stands that we had this past year and his sacks were often very timely.When did we have a short yardage or goal line stand? I can think of maybe two.

It doesn't make sense to me that you would say he played a huge part in a terrible defense, and call him underrated because of it.

DJ is a terrible MLB. His gap integrity is among the worst in the league. He makes up for it a little because of his pursuit, but he's usually pursuing a guy who blew through a gap he was supposed to have filled to begin with. It's like racking up rebounds because you keep missing layups.

cutthemdown
02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Wow hill had a horrid year and every thing you read anywhere says Broncos need help at safety. Hill is over the Hill and probably should be let go.

Honestly I can't think of one Broncos who is deserving of the underrated tag.

Bigdawg26
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't think you can underrate the bottom of the barrel...

Agreed! That's like trying to pick the smaetest kid in special ed class!

Pony Boy
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM

The question was underrated not overrated

Great13
02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Kevin Vickerson... very good run stopper when healthy.

listopencil
02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
E- None of the above.

srphoenix
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Thomas only because he is the one that we most need to have an impact next year, especially because we are moving back to a system that best fits him. I don't think any of these guys are really underrated though, its not like any of them have done anything fantastic to be looked at in a special way.

OABB
02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
our best defender was Kyle Orton now that I think about it.

strafen
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Knowshon Moreno

Edit: Nevermind, I thought it was said OVERrated... ROFL!

theStifmeister
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
mario haggan

Popps
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Kevin Vickerson... very good run stopper when healthy.

Good call. Hill plays well, too. Haggan is solid but back-up caliber, imo.

OABB
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Knowshon Moreno

Edit: Nevermind, I thought it was said OVERrated... ROFL!

yeah. he's definitely overrated here at the mane.

(whack off smiley)

montrose
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I dispise Marcus Thomas - he embodies everything I've hated about this defense over the last few years. Lazy, makes stupid plays, gets bullied at crunch time - and on top of that he and Jarvis Moss had a rep as a bunch of pot heads in college that reputation hasn't exactly gone way in Denver. I'd rather play Brady Quinn at DT than that piece of ****.

extralife
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
the most underrated broncos defensive player is the guy people think is our worst guy. he's underrated because he ain't far off the rest of team.

Mogulseeker
02-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Bannan was not a good player for us like I thought he would be. He was eaten up by the OTs too much for a big guy.

Mogulseeker
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
the most underrated broncos defensive player is the guy people think is our worst guy. he's underrated because he ain't far off the rest of team.

Who that might be? Goodman? Fields? Vickerson?

extralife
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
hell if I know

mhgaffney
02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Good to see Marcus has arrived. He will be a solid contributor, next year.

I like Woodyard -- but only as a backup -- due to his size.