PDA

View Full Version : OT-- Looking to move to Colorado Springs/// Input please.

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
So we are thinking of moving to Colorado springs Co. I own a Automotive shop and would be looking to open one there as well. I'm big into Pheasant hunting, fishing, camping and boating..

Can you guys help me out as to what the economy is really like there. Are the people nice. Is there Pheasant hunting? Are there good places to water ski and fish ?

Any help from people that live around there would be awesome. Who knows I may even give an Orange mane discount for all the maners that live in the area.

Thanks

JC

Archer81
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Fishing you can do nearly anywhere as long as its not a stream or pond on private property. Waterskiing and boating...maybe Pueblo Resovoir. People are nice, but its like anywhere else. Some good and some bad. I dont know about pheasant hunting, but there is deer and elk seasons. The economy in Springs is supported more or less by the military bases in the area.

:Broncos:

bronclvr
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Why Colorado Springs and not somewhere else in Colorado?

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Why Colorado Springs and not somewhere else in Colorado?

We are looking for a city big enough but not too big. We are from Boise originally and this seems like a pretty close fit. I am a huge broncos fan, it looks like it has great hunting for deer and elk I was hoping that the upland game is good as well. We love 4 season of weather, love snow, love to camp and I am a die hard fisherman.

Tired of the big city not that Portland is all that big. Looking to start a family also. If you have other suggestions we are always willing to hear them as well.

The crime rates seem to look low, from what I can find on the net. it looks as though the economy is not hit by the rescission as hard as it is here. Kinda looks like the military keeps everything moving.

We also looked at Fort Collins but that looks too college for us could be wrong though.

Read an article on Forbes and it said it is the #1 spot to open a business in America,

Oh one last question not to be offensive either but are there a lot of Mormons here ?

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
So we are thinking of moving to Colorado springs Co. I own a Automotive shop and would be looking to open one there as well. I'm big into Pheasant hunting, fishing, camping and boating..

Can you guys help me out as to what the economy is really like there. Are the people nice. Is there Pheasant hunting? Are there good places to water ski and fish ?

Any help from people that live around there would be awesome. Who knows I may even give an Orange mane discount for all the maners that live in the area.

Thanks

JC

I grew up in the Springs but I haven't lived there since circa 1995. Lot's of change since that time. As for water sports, I'm thinking your best bet might be Pueblo which is about 45 miles south of CS. There's just not a lot of water on the front range so if water sports is your thing, I can't really reccomend the Springs. As for fishing, if you like fly fishing you can always find a decent creek somewhere in the mountains. Hunting, camping, etc., it's the Rocky Mountains so you can always do that kind of stuff. Not so sure about phaesant hunting, you might be able to do that on the Eastern plains, not really sure about that.

Nice town, good place to raise a family. Conservative with a large military influence (I went to school with kids who's dads were in the Army or Air Force is some capacity). If you're more liberal, then you might consider moving farther North to Denver and those surrounding cities.

Archer81
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
We are looking for a city big enough but not too big. We are from Boise originally and this seems like a pretty close fit. I am a huge broncos fan, it looks like it has great hunting for deer and elk I was hoping that the upland game is good as well. We love 4 season of weather, love snow, love to camp and I am a die hard fisherman.

Tired of the big city not that Portland is all that big. Looking to start a family also. If you have other suggestions we are always willing to hear them as well.

The crime rates seem to look low, from what I can find on the net. it looks as though the economy is not hit by the rescission as hard as it is here. Kinda looks like the military keeps everything moving.

We also looked at Fort Collins but that looks too college for us could be wrong though.

Read an article on Forbes and it said it is the #1 spot to open a business in America,

Oh one last question not to be offensive either but are there a lot of Mormons here ?

As compared to Salt Lake City? No. I would say its more Methodist/Catholic then anything else.

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
As compared to Salt Lake City? No. I would say its more Methodist/Catholic then anything else.

I grew up in Twin falls Idaho Mormons run that town

Moved to Boise
Still a lot but not as many.

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
I wonder if Pueblo is any good? Seems like it's the bastard child of the front range, but again, I haven't spent any time in Pueblo since the early 1990s. I wonder if real estate there is reasonable. It's gotta be getting pretty decent by now, all the peeps moving to Colorado and the front range, I'm wondering if the spill off into Pueblo is making it any better.

Archer81
01-31-2011, 01:58 PM

Moved to Boise

Were you looking to avoid a large mormon population?

Archer81
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Pueblo is any good? Seems like it's the bastard child of the front range, but again, I haven't spent any time in Pueblo since the early 1990s. I wonder if real estate there is reasonable. It's gotta be getting pretty decent by now, all the peeps moving to Colorado and the front range, I'm wondering if the spill off into Pueblo is making it any better.

They call Pueblo little Mexico. Property is relatively cheap. Pueblo West is pretty big now. Windy as all hell though. Pueblo's job scene is not great. Not a bad little city, but there is a cultural dividing line between Colo Springs and Pueblo.

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Were you looking to avoid a large mormon population?

I have a lot of good friends that are Mormons. Hell my mother in law is. But they are very controlling so yes it is a bit of a concern. This year in Twin Falls July forth fell on a Sunday and they changed the firework to July 5th because they did not want it on a Sunday.

Archer81
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a lot of good friends that are Mormons. Hell my mother in law is. But they are very controlling so yes it is a bit of a concern. This year in Twin Falls July forth fell on a Sunday and they changed the firework to July 5th because they did not want it on a Sunday.

Yeah, Springs is not like that. It has a conservative bent, but not that conservative.

Miss I.
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Its not a big Mormon town, but it is hugely, hugely evangelical. Per capita, Colorado Springs has the most evangelical churches in the nation and is host to "Focus on the Family." If you remember the news a few year backs about the preacher who was caught with a male prostitute, that was there. It's nickname is Bibleburg because it is pretty conservative. That said, the cost of living is pretty low, much lower than Denver and other areas. Garden of the Gods is gorgeous. I liked living there pretty well. Hiking and lots of outdoors stuff. I still have a house there, renting it because the housing market is not recovered enough to sale yet, which means you could probably get a good deal on a house right now. ;D

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
They call Pueblo little Mexico. Property is relatively cheap. Pueblo West is pretty big now. Windy as all hell though. Pueblo's job scene is not great. Not a bad little city, but there is a cultural dividing line between Colo Springs and Pueblo.

Yah, that's kinda what I thought and what I remember. No one really talks about Pueblo, kinda like a red-headed step child no one wants to talk about...

chawknz
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, Springs is not like that. It has a conservative bent, but not that conservative.

Not that conservative?? hahahaha. Funny! :giggle:

Fort Collins seems like a better option, honestly.

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Not that conservative?? hahahaha. Funny! :giggle:

Fort Collins seems like a better option, honestly.

I partied like a rock star growing up in the Springs... but, that was in the 1980's. Loved the military enfluence. Why--strip clubs!! We'd get all drunk and pile into a car and go to the strip clubs (full nekid too)... I had a fake ID, those were the dayzzzz....

bronclvr
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, if I HAD to pick a town from the Springs or Fort Collins, I'd pick fort Collins, although in many ways it's a toss-up. For Pheasant Hunting head East, Fishing head West (as well as Hunting), Water Skiing-hmmmm, I always liked Jackson Resevoir, but it's a bit of a haul-hell, move to Grand Junction, you can go to Moab, Fish and Water Ski at Powell, and Hunting is close-not as much Snow, reasonable size Town-

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, if I HAD to pick a town from the Springs or Fort Collins, I'd pick fort Collins, although in many ways it's a toss-up. For Pheasant Hunting head East, Fishing head West (as well as Hunting), Water Skiing-hmmmm, I always liked Jackson Resevoir, but it's a bit of a haul-hell, move to Grand Junction, you can go to Moab, Fish and Water Ski at Powell, and Hunting is close-not as much Snow, reasonable size Town-

We are snow people. We love it.

bronclvr
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
We are snow people. We love it.

Leadville! No, better yet-Gunnison!

Goobzilla
01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Fort Collins isn't THAT college, I live about 15-20 minutes north of town. It's definitely a "big enough" city, it has everything I need. I do like living in this area, made the move from WA in '09 and haven't regretted it once.

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Leadville! No, better yet-Gunnison!

Too small. Besides my X lives in Gunnison and I want no part of that.

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Fort Collins isn't THAT college, I live about 15-20 minutes north of town. It's definitely a "big enough" city, it has everything I need. I do like living in this area, made the move from WA in '09 and haven't regretted it once.

Dude, you live in Wellington... I remember when that place was nothing but dirt and tumbleweeds...

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM

It doesn't have a big swing in population when school is in compared to when school is out ?
Also I will be opening a automotive shop there and need a stable economy.

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
We used to call Longmont Dogmont... now it's a thriving little burb of Denver... yuk...

bronco militia
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
it doesn't snow much here in the springs........If you like your fishing and boating close, move to fort collins.

underrated29
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
I peronally think both those places suck.

Partied all the time in ft. collins when I was in high school and my friends were in college, and even when I was in college partied up there. The spings, had lots of friends in the military so went and hung with them a lot too.

I would rather live in co springs than ft. collins, but i would not live in either if i could live elsewhere. Now I live in littleton/centennial, which is not that spectacular in its own right, so i wont boast about where I am at, but I do like it better than those two areas.

Goobzilla
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Dude, you live in Wellington... I remember when that place was nothing but dirt and tumbleweeds...

Parts of it still are, like my backyard :-)

I love it up here, my job is 10 miles North of town and my wife can commute to Fort Collins. Plus I got the acreage I wanted to to build my shop on.

Besides....

Ding Dang we gots us a Taco John's now! /Spitoon sound

Tombstone RJ
01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
If the mormon's didn't control Utah, it'd be the best place to live (avoiding the craptastic growth of Colorado). But, it's mormon central. Let's invade....

Hey, there's lots of room up here in Wyoming!! Just not in Teton County, we don't want you in Teton County... well, maybe as a tourist, then you're welcome, but don't move here, don't ever, ever, move here

rugbythug
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Pueblo is fiine for me.

Riley
01-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Check Castle Rock. It is smaller than the Springs...
still close to Denver and the Springs... and the mountains.

Deal is... you really ought to fly out here and rent a car...
spend the weekend driving around...
check it out for yourself.

It's a big step. I would want to discover the lay of the land before anything else.

TheChamp24
01-31-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm hoping to be able to move back to Colorado soon(within 1-3 years), and Colorado Springs is one spot I've thought about.
For me though, it would be more about where I'd be able to get work than anything.

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Check Castle Rock. It is smaller than the Springs...
still close to Denver and the Springs... and the mountains.

Deal is... you really ought to fly out here and rent a car...
spend the weekend driving around...
check it out for yourself.

It's a big step. I would want to discover the lay of the land before anything else.

This :thumbs: Already planning on it but this gives us an Idea of how long we want to spend in each place.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Personally, it would be FoCo over C-Springs without even having to give it much thought. Colorado Springs is beautiful, but the right wing evangelical community there would wear on me pretty quickly.

My girl used to live in Fort Collins, and I visited regularly. Came to really enjoy it there, especially the downtown shops and restaurants. Cool place to live, and lots of recreational opportunities.

I live in Steamboat now and wouldn't trade for either place, though.

oubronco
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
If you were to start a business where would be the best place?

THE719!
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM

Thanks

JC

If you love the color brown, you will love that kind of town

Honestly though Colorado Springs is turning into a hood rat town, it had opportunity’s to bring in business but the people of the Springs want non of it. so instead of the springs becoming a good town, it is slowly turning into a cruddy spot and the police are starting to get sloppy at their jobs. Second in suicide rate, keep that In mind.

kcbroncofan
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Grew up in "the springs"...ugh..wish I could tell you to move there. But I wouldn't. Cost of living is high, income is low. My inlaws still live there and every time we go back it just seems dirty. People live with less to be close to all the natural beauty. If you are a kid looking for adventure..have at it. If you are grown up, trying to raise kids, and make a living there are better places. It is also a very transient town with all the military and tourists. This leads to a lot of petty crime. Lock your doors if you move there ! Esp. on the west side. Don't even get me started on the strange amalgamation of hippies and bible thumpers there. Ft. Collins is a nicer place with more down to earth people.

Cmac821
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
All the hype about FoCo (trying local terminology :thumbs: ) gets me excited

broncocalijohn
01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

Dont forget the promise of Wellington Downs Dog Track! My family lives there, Fort Collins and Nunn so even though I dont, we visited there almost every year as a youth. That sign was up on the freeway seemed for decades. Sleepy town but cheap. Fort Collins got more expensive but seems everything around it has not. We had a cabin up north where you had to go through Wyoming to get back to Colorado and the cabin. Great fishing and within in hour of Wellington. You are also not far from Cheyenne. Best part of Wellington? Auction Friday night and watching my hippy uncle buy so much ****. Great about Fort Collins? New Belgium Brewery!

Goobzilla
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
All the hype about FoCo (trying local terminology :thumbs: ) gets me excited

You'll enjoy it a lot here! Lots to do when you're not doing school stuff.

Fedaykin
01-31-2011, 05:00 PM
The Springs is a dump and a plague upon the land. The sprawl there is terrible. They refuse (by city ordinance) to build any building taller than a few stories. The purpose it to avoid "spoiling the view of the mountains". The result is spoiling everything else.

In General, the I-25 corridor from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs is the same, though the Springs is the worst offender.

That One Guy
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
I left Co Springs in '06 and I liked it... but what I liked was the Colorado factor and the Springs didn't really offer anything in and of itself.

To fish, you had to drive 30 mins into the mountain for some chitty little pond we fished at, fish in one of the small dirty ponds, or go an hour and some change away to a lake which I can't place. I tried fishing in the Pueblo reservoir a couple times but wasn't impressed. Never caught much beyond stocked trout and that annoyed me too.

I went camping twice but the fire restrictions were terrible everytime we went but that's not a springs thing, surely.

The sprawl was interesting. There's no real city center. The Chapel Hills mall area has some shopping, the bars are over in the bar area (don't recall the name), and the defense contractors were kind of spread everywhere. You have businesses all up Academy but no center, really. There's housing all over the city also so you can live close to everything (and nothing).

And it can't go without mentioning but I saw one of the cutest girls I've ever seen in my life at a strip club out there. It was right off post so I figured it'd be a trashy one (there were some trashy, don't get me wrong) but my 18th birthday was celebrated by my buddies buying me a dance and the girl was amazing. Hooters girls were also awesome.

Oh, and the focus on the family stuff blew. Lame laws like nobody can sell a car (and booze, too, I believe) on a Sunday. F'ing annoying. Not a deal breaker but annoying.

Finally, someone mentioned Castle Rock. F that place. If you were traveling I-25 north to Denver, there was an f'ing cop waiting for you in Castle Rock. I hate places that do that and just try to tag as many passing through as possible. When you figure everyone speeds on the freeway, it's like they're just making one really expensive toll road for whoever is unlucky enough to get caught. There's enough toll roads around Denver, they don't need to run a $100+ one.

TD30
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about the conservative religious stuff you hear its exaggerated. I commute from the springs to golden everyday and there are alot of great places to live. Springs is probably the most affordable for housing and starting a business. I like castle rock as well we are looking at moving to highlands ranch...I'm tired of the commute. You might look into conifer if you dig the mountains and it's close to the city

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey guys this is awesome . Thanks for all the input.

As normal the Mane rocks when you need it.

AlphaOmega
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Move out a little east of Colorado Springs. Elllicott, or Calhan are good little towns! Good hunting and you are still close to Springs, Pueblo, and the Mountains! ;)

Dukes
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh, and the focus on the family stuff blew. Lame laws like nobody can sell a car (and booze, too, I believe) on a Sunday. F'ing annoying. Not a deal breaker but annoying.

As far as I know that's state law. No car dealerships are open Sunday.

Dukes
01-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Finding a decent place to pheasant hunt in Colorado can be difficult. It just doesn't compare to Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota. You'll either have to do a private hunt and buy the birds or go to one of those states for decent Pheasant hunts.

broncocalijohn
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Finding a decent place to pheasant hunt in Colorado can be difficult. It just doesn't compare to Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota. You'll either have to do a private hunt and buy the birds or go to one of those states for decent Pheasant hunts.

I hear the clay pigeon shooting is real good and accesible but they just dont taste very good.

Marshall Dumervil
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Man, Springs/Pueblo area. F that, both have gotten to be real sh!tholes. My buddy used to live down there, couple years ago we went to have a beer at the bar. Some crazy bastard jumped over the bar, slit the bartenders throat and robbed the place.

I lived in FC for a few years, moved down to Loveland 9 years ago. I'm pretty happy here, not really a party town like FC or Boulder but a little slower pace which is fine by me. 7 miles to FC and I work in Boulder, plenty of opportunity to do what ever the missus and I feel like. Check Loveland out.

Marshall Dumervil
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM

Meh there's plenty in SE Colorado. Lots of public land. I used to go out to Thurston Res and blast the piss outta them. Found a sack of weed out there hunting one time too. :yayaya:

Quoydogs
01-31-2011, 08:59 PM
The Springs is looking a little scary now. Maybe I should do some more research on the FOCO part of the state. Man thanks for all the help again fellas

broncosteven
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
I would consider Castle rock if I could get the wife to allow us to move back. I don't know if they have improved the infrastructure over the last 3 years but it is close enough to Denver for the big City stuff and far enough away to get the rural feel.

The guy I get my tickets from lives a couple towns north of Springs and that is very nice too. I saw his kids play football at the HS right there off 25 I want to say it was Jackson something with a J in it. He commuted to Denver for decades and said he had to get a new job because of the boom pre-Trex construction.

DHallblows
01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd stay as far away from The Springs as possible. Fort Collins is great, Littleton area is nice too.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
The Springs is going/has gone to ****.

Is it a religious town? Yes. But the only people who think evangelicals run it have never lived there. Extreme fiscal conservatives/libertarians run the town. The citizens are intent on destroying the tax base. Heard from people who live there that the city has something like 200-300 less police officers than a city its size should have. Major corridor for the Mexican cartels to run drugs through to Denver and I70. DEA had a huge nationwide bust last summer and the investigation originated in the Springs.

No single person should live there.

Do not live on the south side if you move there, the north is actually incredibly nice though.

Miss I.
01-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Geezus...the Springs is not a ghetto you guys. Yes, there is some religious fundamentalism there, but unless you actually choose to attend those Churches, they aren't out searching for you by any means. It isn't like whatever people keep describing Utah as. I am not saying move there. You need to look at a lot of things. Property crime is high in the Springs, it was one of the things I remember living there 2 years ago. Never happened to me but I remember it. As for these bars people are apparently dying in, where the hell was that? I live on the East side near Powers which has a decent assortment of shops, restaurants and a big Imax. It was always convenient for me. It is very built around the AF Academy (which is pretty cool looking really) and the Army Base and the two AF bases. There are lots of nice homes and frankly being from AZ, the cost of living is much less here (my utilities were remarkably cheap, cheaper for my house than for my apartment in Kansas City). Not positive but the alcohol thing was simply you couldn't buy it at liquor stores on Sunday. Plenty of decent bars open and selling it on Sunday and I think that was changed anyway, just after I left. Everything is non smoking which I like personally. Not a huge fan of the mostly chain restaurants, but given the military presence this is hardly surprising. There are some decent little places to find, mostly in the little downtown area, but a few spread about. There are some shoddy areas, largely in the south (west and east). The most exclusive stuff tends to be in the North and/or near the mountains. There is also a great hiking, biking trail park essentially in the middle of town, Palmer Park. There's a lot of that in the Springs area. It is a conservative town, but it's not bad and isn't unreasonable to visit Denver and other places. I would prefer Denver, but it was all about selling my house before I left. Commuting from the Springs to Denver sucks a lot especially in winter when I-25 turns to crap. It's not a bad town, but it depends on what you are looking for really. The downtown is cute and there are a few decent breweries in the area in downtown, but also around town. It doesn't have the greatest road structures, not enough highway, so traffic through town is not always great, but it's better than Tucson's damned traffic. Old Colorado City (http://www.shopoldcoloradocity.com/index.php) has one of my favorite random restaurants (Meadow Muffins) and Manitou Springs is a fun outing, especially if you like random little homespun shops (reminds me a bit of England in terms of the less chainy village shops). Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. I had good friends and good times in the Springs, conservative hub or not. Denver is ultimately where I expect to end up, but the Springs has some good things.

ZONA
01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
I grew up in Manitou\Colo Sprgs and I always thought it was a very cool place with a ton of stuff to do. Been awhile since I've been back there. Manitou in the 80's was mostly small shops along the main road with several biker bars and of course the famous arcade. My mother said I would not believe what that town has turned into. Alot of high dollar homes and business there now I guess. Anybody care to comment on what Manitou is like now? I'd like to know.

misturanderson
01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
The Springs is looking a little scary now. Maybe I should do some more research on the FOCO part of the state. Man thanks for all the help again fellas

Fort Collins and Loveland also have some of the best public schools in the state from what I've heard from many people (don't have any personal experience to say if that is true or not). Much better than the overcrowded and underfunded schools around most of metro Denver. The schools up here in Fort Collins certainly look better than the schools I went to in Jefferson county growing up.

If you don't want to deal with the college kids, just stay away from the area that surrounds the campus and the area directly west of campus. That is where the majority of college students live. If you stay towards the south side of town there won't be many college kids to deal with and that is where most of the major shopping is. It's the furthest area away from old town (where most of the small independent shops and restaurants are), but nothing is extremely far away from anything else, you should never have to drive for more than 15 minutes to get anywhere in Fort Collins unless it's rush hour.

There is a significant student population that isn't here year round like you were concerned about. I believe there are something like 100,000 people in Fort Collins when school is out and closer to 115,000 to 120,000 when school is in. I think it can impact some businesses, but many make it work. Loveland has a more stable population.

I don't know much about the Public schools around the Springs, but I doubt they are much better than Denver and the surrounding areas (and could be worse) given the extremely fiscally conservative nature of the citizens down there.

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Fort Collins and Loveland also have some of the best public schools in the state from what I've heard from many people (don't have any personal experience to say if that is true or not). Much better than the overcrowded and underfunded schools around most of metro Denver. The schools up here in Fort Collins certainly look better than the schools I went to in Jefferson county growing up.

Schools are good in Fort Collins (my Daughter is a Teacher there and although they are feeling the same types of funding issues as everyone else, they are keeping their academic scores up)-I, too, went to Jeffco Schools-maybe it changed (or, I am looking through rose colored glasses), but I thought the School system was great-

baja
02-01-2011, 06:26 AM
I would stay away from the front range. Someone mentioned Grand Junction, is you are looking for a mid sized city this is very nice and near some awesome rural country. The four corners is special and very low density

baja
02-01-2011, 06:44 AM

So how does that work? You buy a bird in a cage than take it out into the field open the cage and shout shoo bird and as the pheasant is running away you blast it. Sitting Bull would be impressed.

Dedhed
02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
So how does that work? You buy a bird in a cage than take it out into the field open the cage and shout shoo bird and as the pheasant is running away you blast it. Sitting Bull would be impressed.

If you're Dick Cheney, after they shoo the bird out of the cage, you shoot your hunting partner in the face.

alkemical
02-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm looking at moving back to CO soon.

baja
02-01-2011, 07:17 AM
If you're Dick Cheney, after they shoo the bird out of the cage, you shoot your hunting partner in the face.

and then blame it on the democrats.

Broncoman13
02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
it doesn't snow much here in the springs........If you like your fishing and boating close, move to fort collins.

I don't know, from the Springs you can make it up to Eleven Mile, Antero or Spinney in about an hour, lots of good fishing there... and then you have the Dream Stream between them. You hit the Dream Stream at the right time and you're fighting 20-24" Browns. Last time we went to Eleven Mile we took float tubes. I wasn't even in the water yet when my buddy hooked a 27" Lake Trout. Plenty of good fishing near the Springs.

As for the OP, I would consider the Springs but maybe living in a smaller town like Monument or even Larkspur. You can get to the Springs in 20 minutes but you really get to enjoy that small town feeling. You're also only about 45 minutes from Dove Valley (Training Camp baby!) and a little over an hour from Inve$co!

I don't know about the Pheasant Hunting. I haven't heard many people talking about Wild Bird Hunting here so I doubt it is that popular or even available???

I live 30-40 miles North of the Springs. We had basketball games at Pine Creek HS last weekend. Took about 30 minutes to get there from where we are and it is a very easy job. I would actually prefer to take an office in the Springs than in Denver as the traffic is so much easier going South in the mornings!

If you have the opportunity to start a business in the North Part of the Springs do that... and move to an area like Monument. I think you'd like the area, the commute and the access to Denver as well as the Springs. And you'd be 15 minutes away from the Air Force Academy which is a fun time out for Football Games and such.

Broncoman13
02-01-2011, 07:23 AM

If you don't want to deal with the college kids, just stay away from the area that surrounds the campus and the area directly west of campus. That is where the majority of college students live. If you stay towards the south side of town there won't be many college kids to deal with and that is where most of the major shopping is. It's the furthest area away from old town (where most of the small independent shops and restaurants are), but nothing is extremely far away from anything else, you should never have to drive for more than 15 minutes to get anywhere in Fort Collins unless it's rush hour.

There is a significant student population that isn't here year round like you were concerned about. I believe there are something like 100,000 people in Fort Collins when school is out and closer to 115,000 to 120,000 when school is in. I think it can impact some businesses, but many make it work. Loveland has a more stable population.

I don't know much about the Public schools around the Springs, but I doubt they are much better than Denver and the surrounding areas (and could be worse) given the extremely fiscally conservative nature of the citizens down there.

Douglas County Schools are considered the tops in the state and I'm honestly not all that impressed. I think regardless of where you end up, with the budget constraints you're going to have one sort of gripe or another. When we first moved here the classroom sizes were around 20 students. Now they are closer to 30. More kids, less teachers... budget.

Sounds like he has a little while before he has to worry about school aged children but certainly something to consider. The schools in North Colo. Spgs are pretty good as well. Pine Creek, Air Academy, Lewis-Palmer to name a few all are very nice schools.

Archer81
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I grew up in Manitou\Colo Sprgs and I always thought it was a very cool place with a ton of stuff to do. Been awhile since I've been back there. Manitou in the 80's was mostly small shops along the main road with several biker bars and of course the famous arcade. My mother said I would not believe what that town has turned into. Alot of high dollar homes and business there now I guess. Anybody care to comment on what Manitou is like now? I'd like to know.

Manitou...home of the lesbian witches and vortex of powah...and very expensive homes. Alot of towns in colorado are trying to get that artsy/bohemian thing going. But Manitou is where people with money buy houses. Nice town...but dont stare at the lesbo witches.

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Really? There is great pheasant hunting in NE colorado! So not sure what you are talking about!

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Actually, if you want to Pheasant Hunt, go to Stratton, Burlington and north to Yuma, Joes and Holyoke-lots of it out there-

edit: oops, Colobuff beat me to it!

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Fort Collins is usually in the Top 10 places to live for the last 5+ years! I went to CSU and loved it up there. I try to get to the Fort Collins area as much as i can. Windsor is a smaller version of Fort Collins....maybe you could look there too. Either way i would rather live in Fort Collins than the Springs.

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Actually, if you want to Pheasant Hunt, go to Stratton, Burlington and north to Yuma, Joes and Holyoke-lots of it out there-

edit: oops, Colobuff beat me to it!

so you have been out in my area pheasant hunting? lol:welcome:

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 07:45 AM
so you have been out in my area pheasant hunting? lol:welcome:

I lived out there for almost 10 Years, so, yes! Great minds think alike-:wiggle:

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I lived out there for almost 10 Years, so, yes! Great minds think alike-:wiggle:

where abouts did you live?

Dedhed
02-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I spent a couple of years in the Springs, and found it an odd place. You have a strange collection of people between the Military presence, the uber christians, and the college crowd/free thinkers there is a strange dynamic in the springs that I haven't felt anywhere else.

Every city has sections, but I've never been in a city with less interaction between sects or the individuals who make up the city.

The climate was amazing though.

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 08:29 AM
where abouts did you live?

Burlington-

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
nice...i was born and raised north of there about an hour or so.

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
nice...i was born and raised north of there about an hour or so.

Wray?

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
holyoke

bronclvr
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
holyoke

:notworthy

alkemical
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I used to live near Holyoke, MA.

Broncoman13
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I would consider Castle rock if I could get the wife to allow us to move back. I don't know if they have improved the infrastructure over the last 3 years but it is close enough to Denver for the big City stuff and far enough away to get the rural feel.

The guy I get my tickets from lives a couple towns north of Springs and that is very nice too. I saw his kids play football at the HS right there off 25 I want to say it was Jackson something with a J in it. He commuted to Denver for decades and said he had to get a new job because of the boom pre-Trex construction.

Probably Lewis-Palmer HS.

Broncoman13
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Really? There is great pheasant hunting in NE colorado! So not sure what you are talking about!

We call that Nebraska! ;D

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Moved to Boise

I lived in Burley Idaho 30 years and I was treated like dirt by the Mormons and you could forget trying to start a business so I do get why you would worry! they Did some hatefully things to us both growing up my wife was held down a beaten several times . I was told I could not take classes because I was not the right religion.

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Yah, that's kinda what I thought and what I remember. No one really talks about Pueblo, kinda like a red-headed step child no one wants to talk about...

Still a great place lots of farms... pheasants...lol

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM

It is all about watter and Crop land ... and yes NE has a lot of crops...

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Were is the Banana Belt at ... I like Snow but I hate the frickin cold lol

broncosteven
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Probably Lewis-Palmer HS.

Sounds about right.

~Crash~
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Looks more like Kansas to me...:peace:

DomCasual
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Moved to Boise

Come live in Salt Lake City. We don't really have any Mormons here. I think I'm pretty much the only one.

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM
we got about 1" of snow out of the latest "storm of the century"

DomCasual
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
we got about 1" of snow out of the latest "storm of the century"

I love when the weather guys start talking about storms of the century. We had one here about two months ago. Seriously, you would have thought the snow version of Hurricane Katrina was on its way - they talked about it for two days, leading up to it. I ended up with 3/4" on my driveway.

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I love when the weather guys start talking about storms of the century. We had one here about two months ago. Seriously, you would have thought the snow version of Hurricane Katrina was on its way - they talked about it for two days, leading up to it. I ended up with 3/4" on my driveway.

yep.

but those assholes are always right when it comes to wind and cold :gripe:

Archer81
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM

I live in the "banana belt" of Colorado. To get ridiculous snowfall a storm needs to come up through Albuquerque. If it drops from the north, Monument Hill blocks most of it and we end up with 1/4 of what they predicted.

Unless its ball numbingly cold. Then the air gets squeezed like a funnel cake in a fat chicks wrestling tournament.

ColoradoBuff
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM

hey now!! :spit:

alkemical
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
What's the best place to look for work. I'm looking to move from PA back to CO.

I have an IT and sales background.

Archer81
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
What's the best place to look for work. I'm looking to move from PA back to CO.

I have an IT and sales background.

Denver tech center, downtown denver, colorado springs, boulder, ft collins.

alkemical
02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Denver tech center, downtown denver, colorado springs, boulder, ft collins.

Awesome. I had some of the Southstanders help me as well, but wanted to reach out to a larger community. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seemed like a good place to roll with it.

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
check your PM's

FantomForce
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Come live in Salt Lake City. We don't really have any Mormons here. I think I'm pretty much the only one.

Or a little north to Logan, that's where I'm at

Quoydogs
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I lived in Burley Idaho 30 years and I was treated like dirt by the Mormons and you could forget trying to start a business so I do get why you would worry! they Did some hatefully things to us both growing up my wife was held down a beaten several times . I was told I could not take classes because I was not the right religion.

Sad but true. Hey my Aunt and uncle own the Wayside down there. When did you live there??

Fedaykin
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM

That part of the state is even worse than The Springs. It's probably best to avoid CO all together. I hear Kansas is a nice state.

>.>

Quoydogs
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
check your PM's

Who? I have no unread pm's

Broncos_OTM
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
My buddy is out of work there. Says there was a massve tent city. city had to turn off the street lights at one point. Not a big fan of the lcal polotics and all the army that is there makes it hard to get to know people alot of transition of population. Great outdoorsey place though so ya youll like that aspect.the crime always seemed to be out of controlid rather hang in some of the slummier places in denver compared to the springs just my opinion

tsiguy96
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
we were looking at denver as a possible destination after grad school, but its gonna be -18 there? **** that!

Broncos_OTM
02-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Ive read most of this thread and its pretty accurate id stay out of the springs. Its the detroit of cokorado

Archer81
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Ive read most of this thread and its pretty accurate id stay out of the springs. Its the detroit of cokorado

Springs is not Detroit. If any area of Colorado = Detroit, it would be Pueblo.

Cokorado?

Archer81
02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
we were looking at denver as a possible destination after grad school, but its gonna be -18 there? **** that!

Bad news. Any place that is not south Florida or Socal or Hawaii is going to get cold.

Quoydogs
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM

See I think so also. But I did my research and it has nothing bad to say about the springs at all. In fact Wiki says its the place to be. We are now looking at FOCO or Loveland. Seems to be a better place from what I have read. I trust these bastards more then Wiki any day.

Corse in the back of my head I see a bunch of them snickering and saying/ see another Oregon transplant diverted to FOCO thank god. Keep the damn foreigners out.

Broncoman13
02-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Douglas County Schools are considered the tops in the state and I'm honestly not all that impressed. I think regardless of where you end up, with the budget constraints you're going to have one sort of gripe or another. When we first moved here the classroom sizes were around 20 students. Now they are closer to 30. More kids, less teachers... budget.

Sounds like he has a little while before he has to worry about school aged children but certainly something to consider. The schools in North Colo. Spgs are pretty good as well. Pine Creek, Air Academy, Lewis-Palmer to name a few all are very nice schools.

Broncos_OTM
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
See I think so also. But I did my research and it has nothing bad to say about the springs at all. In fact Wiki says its the place to be. We are now looking at FOCO or Loveland. Seems to be a better place from what I have read. I trust these bastards more then Wiki any day.

Corse in the back of my head I see a bunch of them snickering and saying/ see another Oregon transplant diverted to FOCO thank god. Keep the damn foreigners out.lol ya definetly a better option IMO

Broncos_OTM
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Cokorado?

Come on foo. Its called spell check lol :p

That One Guy
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Corse in the back of my head I see a bunch of them snickering and saying/ see another Oregon transplant diverted to FOCO thank god. Keep the damn foreigners out.

Just do me a favor, if you would?

Pull a Russian move and light Portland up on your way out. I f'ing hate that city and everyone in it...

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
My buddy is out of work there. Says there was a massve tent city. city had to turn off the street lights at one point. Not a big fan of the lcal polotics and all the army that is there makes it hard to get to know people alot of transition of population. Great outdoorsey place though so ya youll like that aspect.the crime always seemed to be out of controlid rather hang in some of the slummier places in denver compared to the springs just my opinion

you need talk to your friend this year.

the tent city is gone...has been since last spring. there are tent cities popping up all over the USA. I wonder whyHa!

every other street light has been turned off, not all. this years budget includes all street lights so they will all be back on by springtime.

all army bases attract more crime. google it. fyi the south side of colorado springs has always had it's problems. you need to live on the west or north side of town

signed,

a racist

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Cokorado?

lol wtf......pueblo wishes is was detroit.

but yeah, pueblo is the dump of the front range

Goobzilla
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

You'll love it out here. Even though it was right around 0 today the sun was shining. You'll get used to the fireball in the sky eventually.

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
just stay away...everyone seems to be moving here.

TailgateNut
02-01-2011, 05:32 PM
just stay away...everyone seems to be moving here.

Especially the "illegals".

Archer81
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
lol wtf......pueblo wishes is was detroit.

but yeah, pueblo is the dump of the front range

I know when I am close to Pueblo when I can smell refried beans, burned cows ass and hair spray.

They should do a show on people from Pueblo...just like Jersey shore...cept in Spanish and wanna be gang bangers.

bronco militia
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I know when I am close to Pueblo when I can smell refried beans, burned cows ass and hair spray.

They should do a show on people from Pueblo...just like Jersey shore...cept in Spanish and wanna be gang bangers.

Ha!Ha!Ha!

Marshall Dumervil
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Let me know if you come out here looking for a house. I've can point ya to some good neighborhoods. There aren't really many bad ones, just some are more desirable than others.

ol#7
02-02-2011, 01:05 AM
I really dont get some of the Springs bashing. Housing prices are less than the metro area, Castle rock or Ft Collins, traffic isnt too bad, great place to open a business, plenty of military/government jobs that keep the economy stable (Ft. Carson, Peterson, Shreiver and the Air Force academy all in the same area). Has all of the restaurants shopping you could want, good schools, low crime, and everything from Pueblo Resevoir to Denver Sports is within easy reach. FWIW, If your buying the best neighborhoods are on the North and South ends. Northside is more expensive. Im on the southside (Fountain) and love it because the countryside is right out my door. I can have the city or the country.

TD30
02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I really dont get some of the Springs bashing. Housing prices are less than the metro area, Castle rock or Ft Collins, traffic isnt too bad, great place to open a business, plenty of military/government jobs that keep the economy stable (Ft. Carson, Peterson, Shreiver and the Air Force academy all in the same area). Has all of the restaurants shopping you could want, good schools, low crime, and everything from Pueblo Resevoir to Denver Sports is within easy reach. FWIW, If your buying the best neighborhoods are on the North and South ends. Northside is more expensive. Im on the southside (Fountain) and love it because the countryside is right out my door. I can have the city or the country.

Yeah I moved back to Colorado 5 years ago and heard all of the same rants about Colorado Springs. I live on the north east side and absolutely love it. I think the reason people lose persepective is because Colorado Springs is so big that the difference from one side to the other is drastic. The only time I make it South is to take the daughter to the zoo (the best in Colorado). I was hesitant as well but once I went house hunting I realized that it really was a great place to live. By the way no one ever has tried to get me to join a church or even talk religion. I also have never seen a single tent lol. Most of the people I work with that don't like the Springs is because it isn't like living in the big city...fine by me.