PDA

View Full Version : Casey Mathews

Smilin Assassin
01-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Where is he expected to land in the draft?

I realize he's not his brother, but I'd pretty much gamble on anyone from that bloodline right about now.

....he gotta sister?

Chris
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
3rd to 4th. I've read he's expected to be a special teams stud and a solid backup.

schaaf
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Same as i've heard but you never know with that bloodline he could become a beast MLB

Baba Booey
01-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I've heard anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th. I'd be more than willing to pick him up because you can't measure or scout a bloodline like his.

bowtown
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
I also like saying bloodline.

Cmac821
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Are we talking horses?

Baba Booey
01-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Bloodline.

iforgotmypassword
01-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Ill spend a 3rd on him. Can't teach character and hardwork.

Dedhed
01-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Same as i've heard but you never know with that bloodline he could become a beast MLB

That's my thought. I think he'll go higher tan projected due to pedigree.

KipCorrington25
01-29-2011, 04:00 PM
That's what they said about his brother prior to the draft also.

Dedhed
01-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Are we talking horses?

Pretty much.

Dedhed
01-29-2011, 04:03 PM
That's what they said about his brother prior to the draft also.

What is?

footstepsfrom#27
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I've heard anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th. I'd be more than willing to pick him up because you can't measure or scout a bloodline like his.
Elway has a kid who played QB in college and quit. Just sayin'...

He's about 230 lbs right? I think he's a 4th rounder or so. Wouldn't be surprised if GB takes him though.

Agamemnon
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
He's going to be a lot better than most are projecting, I'll say that much. His lack of great measurables doesn't mean jack relative to his instincts and determination. I think he'll go sometime in the 3rd round.

extralife
01-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Elway has a kid who played QB in college and quit. Just sayin'...

Elway is one guy. This family has an all pro in the league, another guy on an NFL roster, a hall of fame lineman, a not-quite-hall-of-fame but nevertheless excellent linebacker that played 20 years, and a patriarch that played 7 years on either side of the Korean war. and more family members in the college pipeline.

DarkHorse
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
What is?

They said his brother wasn't his brother - caused a bit of family turmoil from what I heard.

DarkHorse
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Elway is one guy. This family has an all pro in the league, another guy on an NFL roster, a hall of fame lineman, a not-quite-hall-of-fame but nevertheless excellent linebacker that played 20 years, and a patriarch that played 7 years on either side of the Korean war. and more family members in the college pipeline.

Are you saying the Mathews are 'bred' for football?

Didn't The Greek say something along those lines way back when?

HEAV
01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
After watching the kid play in the Senior Bowl.... he's not in the class of his brother.

elsid13
01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
After watching the kid play in the Senior Bowl.... he's not in the class of his brother.

Right now he is solid back-up and ST player. I do think he will decent career in the NFL in 4-3 defense. He reminds me of Glenn Cadrez of late 90s teams.

bowtown
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/82294006.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54831D3F02B3F23E22E 5C2A4C216B5FD2D9C17F5A3C5CAC5D2FE30A760B0D811297

"His bloodline looks pretty awesome to me!"

bowtown
01-29-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.jackelway.org/images/jack-elway-pic1.jpg

"Me too!"

bowtown
01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/57/571902m.jpg

"You better believe it."

bowtown
01-29-2011, 06:06 PM
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/chris-simms.jpg?w=420

"BroncoBuff, I already told you, Kyle Shanahan is the love of my life."

TheReverend
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Bloodlines worked out really well for Boss Bailey and DJ little brother.

Pony Boy
01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

I realize he's not his brother, but I'd pretty much gamble on anyone from that bloodline right about now.

....he gotta sister?

footstepsfrom#27
01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Are you saying the Duke's not up to all that and more? ;D

Naw, you're right now that I think of it like that. Quite a lot for the kid to live up to, so I hope he's up for it whether here or elsewhere. Imagine being the family black sheep for playing not starring in the NFL. Ha!

Requiem
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
He is not a starter in the NFL.

HAT
01-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Maybe, maybe not....But last I checked, teams need more than 3 (or 4) LB's.

~Crash~
01-30-2011, 12:15 AM
People were talking **** about Spikes last year last i checked he took that snail 40 he ran at the combine and put it to use for NE ..starting and looking not to badly

~Crash~
01-30-2011, 12:18 AM
With that said I would rather go......

1 Nast Nick Fairley DT-DE

2 Phil Taylor NT

2 Greg Jones MLB

3 Jeron Johnson S

Vladimir
01-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Being the Oregon fan that I am I wouldn't mind us taking Casey Matthews at some point in the draft. He has really come up big for Oregon at crucial times the past couple seasons.

Cool Breeze
01-30-2011, 07:56 AM
With that said I would rather go......

1 Nast Nick Fairley DT-DE

2 Phil Taylor NT

2 Greg Jones MLB

3 Jeron Johnson S

Now this looks like a damn good idea!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Are we talking horses?

"Loves the slop. Eats the slop. His fathah? He was a muddah. His mothah was a muddah."

"His mothah was a muddah?"

"What did I just say?"

vancejohnson82
01-30-2011, 09:24 AM
are you guys kidding me? we interviewed him on the first day of the Senior Bowl

officially on the "board"

Boltjolt
01-30-2011, 08:09 PM

....he gotta sister?

4th- 5th round. Lot of other ILB's that are 3rd rounders that are better than Casey.

You guys going back to a 4-3 next season?

loborugger
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM

You a eugenicist?

footstepsfrom#27
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Draft him so we can wait till his brother hits free agency and we can pull a Champ/Boss type thing and entice him to come our way.

cutthemdown
01-30-2011, 10:55 PM

better for bloodline would be to go after Stefan Wisenewksi. He will be a great center. 300 pounds, moves well, top line pedigree from his pops or nephew, not sure what his relation to the great Raider is who just become there oline coach. Snagging his relative would be sweet.

Captain 'Dre
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Eli is no Peyton, bloodlne notwithstanding. ;)

bronco0608
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM

He is easily a starting wlb for a team in the NFL.

Without a doubt, he was the most instinctive LB in the PAC-10 this past year.

He knows his keys, and as he shown in the national championship game, he has the penchant for a big play.

LB is half brawn/half intelligence. Casey is very instinctive.

If DJ Williams and his half-wit, over playing the run, not recognizing a play-action self can start in the NFL for over 7 years, Casey can start right along him at the WLB spot.

Requiem
01-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Linebacker also requires good speed, agility and quickness which he doesn't have to be a WLB. People need to stop looking at the successes of his family members and attributing it to him. He is not even close to being as good as his brother. Not many draft gurus and analysts out there see him as a starter. Probably a reason for that.

bronco0608
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Linebacker also requires good speed, agility and quickness which he doesn't have to be a WLB. People need to stop looking at the successes of his family members and attributing it to him. He is not even close to being as good as his brother. Not many draft gurus and analysts out there see him as a starter. Probably a reason for that.

Well reports have it that he is 6'2 230 pounds and runs the 40 in 4.68. I'd say he is plenty fast enough to play the weakside.

LBs are not hard to project to the NFL. No matter who you put in there (NFL caliber), they are going to perform. Joe Mays was a 6th round afterthought, traded, and by his 2nd game starting, he had like 12 tackles. Woodyard was an undrafted free agent and he had 10 tackles in a game.

Outside your special few talents at the position (Willis, Mayo) who stand head and shoulders above every one else, most NFL caliber LBs will put up stats once inserted.

Is Casey special? No. Is he a liablity out there? Absolutely not. He is no more a of liabilty than Dannell Ellerbee for the Ravens is.

People need to quit saying that this guy or that guy can't start. The NFL is all about opportunity.

You don't take Matthews in the first few rounds because he is not a difference maker. I get that. But to say the kid can't start is hoppycock. He has all the physical tools to be a starter in the NFL.

Boltjolt
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Well reports have it that he is 6'2 230 pounds and runs the 40 in 4.68. I'd say he is plenty fast enough to play the weakside.

He weighed in at the senior bowl at 6"0 3/4", 232 lbs. Well see what he runs at the combine. Id be surprised if it is 4.68.

~Crash~
01-31-2011, 08:59 PM

So Spikes suck this year ?

Broncosfreak_56
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I would take a guy with heart and instincts any day over talent and stupidity.

Requiem
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
So Spikes suck this year ?

Spikes had a decent year before his suspension. He ran a slow time, but was a playmaker in his time at Florida. I know what you are trying to get at, but I'm not going to bite on it.

FWIW, I never said Matthews can't be a starter -- he certainly could, I just don't think he is going to be one in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't serve a quality role on some team.

Amazing bloodlines, and yes he is an instinctual player. Does that mean he is the next best thing since sliced bread? No. It isn't a guarantee he is going to succeed in the NFL. Just like the amazing athleticism of Ernie Sims, Aaron Curry, etc. -- didn't translate into success in the NFL -- they are very average professionals who just never had it between the ears to be impact players in the league.

This is a horrendously weak LB class, especially ILB and he is a player whom most feel projects (at best) as a mid-round selection. Oregon is my favorite team behind Florida State and I've watched them play a bunch. He brings a lot of desirable things to the table, but he isn't his brother as far as a prospect and I don't see him being a guy who is going to be a long-term starter in the NFL.

Just my opinion, though one echoed by a lot of people.

Would I be interested in him on the Broncos? Why not. We need some LB depth and if he is there in the final day of the draft, he is worth a look.

I'd rather many other linebackers in this class, especially at WLB or ILB if we decide to pursue a future prospect.

Riley
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Are you saying the Duke's not up to all that and more? ;D

Naw, you're right now that I think of it like that. Quite a lot for the kid to live up to, so I hope he's up for it whether here or elsewhere. Imagine being the family black sheep for playing not starring in the NFL. Ha!

Imagine how Peyton and Eli's brother feels...

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Amazing bloodlines, and yes he is an instinctual player. Does that mean he is the next best thing since sliced bread? No. It isn't a guarantee he is going to succeed in the NFL. Just like the amazing athleticism of Ernie Sims, Aaron Curry, etc. -- didn't translate into success in the NFL -- they are very average professionals who just never had it between the ears to be impact players in the league.
Sims put up 371 tackles in his first three seasons before tailing off in 2009 after he got injured, then traded to Philly. I think he' shown he can play in the league. Curry is starting on Seattle's strong side, so I don't see how you get that his athleticism isn't translating to success. He scored a 26 on the Wonderlic, so I don't think what's between the ears is an issue either. I'd like to have either of those players.

footstepsfrom#27
02-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Imagine how Peyton and Eli's brother feels...
There's another Manning?

Requiem
02-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Sims put up 371 tackles in his first three seasons before tailing off in 2009 after he got injured, then traded to Philly. I think he' shown he can play in the league. Curry is starting on Seattle's strong side, so I don't see how you get that his athleticism isn't translating to success. He scored a 26 on the Wonderlic, so I don't think what's between the ears is an issue either. I'd like to have either of those players.

Their athleticism isn't translating to success because they aren't impact players.

Hence why Sims was traded for next to nothing (a good portion of those tackles are assists, BTW) and the fact that Curry has not lived up to the hype of being a very high selection. That high of a pick for a SLB with his production. Hah.

When I stated between the ears, I meant being instinctual players. Those two are prime examples of players who rely on their athleticism to get by in the NFL. They don't have anything else. In every sense of the game, they are average pros.

Very little impact plays, little turnovers.

Are they game changers/impact players? Nope.

bronco0608
02-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Football comes down to heart, desire, instincts plus the necessary physical tools.

Casey Matthews has all of the above.

Give me a guy who wants it over a Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, David Bruton, and Ryan Mcbean any day.

What seperates the greats from the joes at the NFL is desire. Every year NFL teams select from a pool of some 2,000 prospects. 2,000 freaking guys who were good enough to play college ball.

From there you go down to some 200 odd players drafted.

Then out of that 200, you have 120 or so who make it.

Out of those 120, they are ALL capable athletic wise. No doubt about that. You have 6'4" 340 pound back-flipping dts going undrafted and 4.3 40 6'2" 220 safties like Josh Barrett going in the 7th round.

What separates the greats from the joes is desire. This isn't college. Very rarely is some guy going to beat you atheltically in this league. He is going to beat you by film study, instincts, and desire.

So in the NFL guys like Woodyard and Matthews make it.

I don't care where he is selected, he is going to be welcomed addition to any team.

bronco0608
02-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Just like the amazing athleticism of Ernie Sims, Aaron Curry, etc. -- didn't translate into success in the NFL -- they are very average professionals who just never had it between the ears to be impact players in the league.

That's why most draft prognosticators don't know diddly.

Everyone and their mother had Ernie Simms and Aaron Curry among their top ten. Did a single scouting service say, hold up son, Aaron Curry doesn't have it between the ears and should be a 4th round pick at best? Nope.

So the internet is full of a bunch bs spewed by a bunch of people who don't know diddly. I'm reading nfldraftdog, nfldraftscout, and every other out-of-the-loop website and they are telling me what they think of Marvin Austin off a Thursday Night Espn game.

They don't know. They will never know. They see a kid get past a future dentist and they are moving him up the board.

Only the real scouts know. The guys that have been pounding the beat for years, interviewing prospects, talking to their high and junior high coaches, getting a feel for who they are.

Scouts are part psychologists, part captain of the obvious. They know. Does Scott from NFL draft countdown and the rest of the clowns on the internet know? They don't have a freaking clue. They all base what they know off each other.

Blane Gillbert wasn't on any of those guys board before somebody said he was a top 10 pick. Then they all jumped on the bandwagon. It was hilarious.

cutthemdown
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Casey Mathews = weakside linebacker who doesnt get off blocks well. That will be his NFL scouting report. No way he stays inside on the next level at 230 pounds. Also he doesn't seem to be someone who plays real physical which is what Broncos need.

This guy is a less talented DJ.

cutthemdown
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Football comes down to heart, desire, instincts plus the necessary physical tools.

Casey Matthews has all of the above.

Give me a guy who wants it over a Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss, David Bruton, and Ryan Mcbean any day.

What seperates the greats from the joes at the NFL is desire. Every year NFL teams select from a pool of some 2,000 prospects. 2,000 freaking guys who were good enough to play college ball.

From there you go down to some 200 odd players drafted.

Then out of that 200, you have 120 or so who make it.

Out of those 120, they are ALL capable athletic wise. No doubt about that. You have 6'4" 340 pound back-flipping dts going undrafted and 4.3 40 6'2" 220 safties like Josh Barrett going in the 7th round.

What separates the greats from the joes is desire. This isn't college. Very rarely is some guy going to beat you atheltically in this league. He is going to beat you by film study, instincts, and desire.

So in the NFL guys like Woodyard and Matthews make it.

I don't care where he is selected, he is going to be welcomed addition to any team.

He just isn't physical enough to get me excited. We need bigger linebackers IMO. But if Broncos can get him in the 5th round or so that would be ok. I don't see Broncos taking him with the 3rd rounder though its too high for this kid.

Smiling Assassin27
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

....he gotta sister?

I'm available and can play any offensive position...Seriously.

Sincerely,

Cooper Manning

BroncoSojia
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Why not just pick up Martez Wilson or Greg Jones in the 2nd?

schaaf
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Greg Jones would step in and be a starter on Day 1. Get him in the second

BMarsh615
02-02-2011, 02:23 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c40PSj7ERO0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ray Finkle
02-02-2011, 06:33 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c40PSj7ERO0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

pretty bad....he cannot get off blocks and regularly choose the incorrect gap.

schaaf
02-02-2011, 07:27 AM
main thing I saw is that he really struggles getting off blocks

TheReverend
02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
What separates Casey and Clay:

http://www.isteroids.com/images/anabolic_steroids.jpg