PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway Should be a Top FA Target

SoDak Bronco
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Greenway is a Top Tier 4-3 Linebacker and would be a great pickup this offseason. I haven't heard much mention of him yet, but I hope we the focus on the draft and FA to upgrade the Front 7. He led the vikes in tackles last season and has great instincts and has been a 3 down LB.

It may be hard to get him away from the Vikes but if they don't franchise him, he is going to be up for grabs.

Chad Greenway Should be a Top FA Target

schaaf
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Greenway is a Top Tier 4-3 Linebacker and would be a great pickup this offseason. I haven't heard much mention of him yet, but I hope we the focus on the draft and FA to upgrade the Front 7. He led the vikes in tackles last season and has great instincts and has been a 3 down LB.

It may be hard to get him away from the Vikes but if they don't franchise him, he is going to be up for grabs.

Chad Greenway Should be a Top FA Target

Completely agree! I just have a feeling the vikings will hang on to him.

spdirty
01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
If we got Greenway and kept Champ and drafted a top DT I'd probably be pretty excited about next season.

Killericon
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Co-sign.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
If we got Greenway and kept Champ and drafted a top DT I'd probably be pretty excited about next season.

Yep.

serious hops
01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Assuming that we are indeed going back to the 43, he'd certainly be a good pickup. I'm not entirely sure where he'd fit unless the rumors about us trading DJ are true. Of course, you could play DJ at SAM, even if he's not fond of it. Still leaves a big hole at MIKE, though-- if we only address one LB position with a top FA or high pick, that's ideally the spot that should get top priority IMO.

footstepsfrom#27
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Joe Mays is a hitter. I'ts going to be interesting to see what happens with him having a full training camp. DJ should be a Will, end of story. In the draft I'm keeping an eye on where the two UCLA kids go...I like Ayers the best of the two. He could play either outside position in the 4-3 or even be a 3-4 guy on the outside.

GoBroncos84
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd rather target Stephen Tulloch from Tennessee as a FA and move DJ to Will. I think Haggan, Tulloch, Williams is a better starting 4-3 LB corps than Haggan, Mays, Greenway if we had the options.

tsiguy96
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
go hawks

PRBronco
01-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Dude it's a perfect storm of free agent linebackers this year.

tsiguy96
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
if there is an actual offseason with a CBA and all, there is a lot of guys out there that could significantly help this team.

Vegas_Bronco
01-25-2011, 09:24 PM

And for drafting a franchise dt or cb...at the #2 pick and that is why we don't need to trade down...there is nothing this franchise needs more than some young leaders that can make immediate impact.

backup qb
01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Yes please

Ratboy
01-26-2011, 05:57 AM

Pretty much. I am guessing we'll get one of those big guys.

gunns
01-26-2011, 06:09 AM
I'd rather target Stephen Tulloch from Tennessee as a FA and move DJ to Will. I think Haggan, Tulloch, Williams is a better starting 4-3 LB corps than Haggan, Mays, Greenway if we had the options.

I agree and was going to post this but glad I read further. Wouldn't mind Greenway but I'd prefer Tulloch.

The Joker
01-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Quality player, but unless we move DJ then I don't think he warrants any sort of consideration.

A MIKE is what we really need, it's almost as big a need as D-Line IMO. If we don't spend one of our 2nd rounders on the position I'll be very surprised. Nobody that's likely to hit FA strikes me as any sort of solution.

What's the deal with James Anderson by the way? He's just finished his fifth year, does this mean he's likely to be a UFA? If so I expect we'll pursue him very aggressively to fill the SAM linebacker spot.

DJ and Anderson in the outside spots seems like a nice tandem to me, we just need to find a quality MIKE to really bring it all together.

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
I agree with DJ at Will. But I do appreciate his versitility. He's not elite but IMO he's worked hard.

primetime714
01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Quality player, but unless we move DJ then I don't think he warrants any sort of consideration.

A MIKE is what we really need, it's almost as big a need as D-Line IMO. If we don't spend one of our 2nd rounders on the position I'll be very surprised. Nobody that's likely to hit FA strikes me as any sort of solution.

What's the deal with James Anderson by the way? He's just finished his fifth year, does this mean he's likely to be a UFA? If so I expect we'll pursue him very aggressively to fill the SAM linebacker spot.

DJ and Anderson in the outside spots seems like a nice tandem to me, we just need to find a quality MIKE to really bring it all together.

Yea I agree I think in the 2nd round we'll be targeting someone for the MIKE position. I'm a fan of Greg Jones he may need to bulk up a little bit, but he's a very good playmaker.

The Joker
01-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Joe Mays is a hitter. I'ts going to be interesting to see what happens with him having a full training camp. DJ should be a Will, end of story. In the draft I'm keeping an eye on where the two UCLA kids go...I like Ayers the best of the two. He could play either outside position in the 4-3 or even be a 3-4 guy on the outside.

I love Mays' attitude too but do you really see him as a MIKE in a 4-3?

Fox has always run a lot of Cover 2 and you need a MIKE who knows what he's doing in coverage or you'll get killed. Nothing I saw from Mays in his few games this year lead me to believe he knows what he's doing in coverage. If we stay in a 3-4 then sign me up for watching him play SILB and destroying people, but playing the middle in a 4-3 is a whole different world.

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2011, 06:39 AM

And f/a TEs and f/a RBs, additionally it's a deep draft at DL. We really can improve greatly this off season.

TonyR
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I love Mays' attitude too but do you really see him as a MIKE in a 4-3?

Fox has always run a lot of Cover 2 and you need a MIKE who knows what he's doing in coverage or you'll get killed. Nothing I saw from Mays in his few games this year lead me to believe he knows what he's doing in coverage. If we stay in a 3-4 then sign me up for watching him play SILB and destroying people, but playing the middle in a 4-3 is a whole different world.

Yup, Mays can't play in the 4-3. They tried him in Philly and it didn't work and that's why they gave him away.

Boss Man
01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

this 100%, i think we would see a drastic improvement from the d just as a result of having to good players playing there natural position

oubronco
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
This year we are setup to fix this defense with some very good young talent along with some veteran FA's now I hope they don't screw it up by drafting offense again

schaaf
01-26-2011, 09:13 AM
This year we are setup to fix this defense with some very good young talent along with some veteran FA's now I hope they don't screw it up by drafting offense again

I think we're gonna have only one or two offensive players picked this year, I know people probably won't like it but I just keep having a feeling that they're going to pick Peterson with the #2, it could be why they aren't coming out and saying if they're gonna resign Champ.

Bronco Boy
01-26-2011, 09:36 AM
There is a 0% chance the Vikings let him go.

SoDak Bronco
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
There is a 0% chance the Vikings let him go.

Oh ya? is that what your sources tell you?