PDA

View Full Version : 13 years ago today...

BigPlayShay
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
... we were 13 point underdogs to the Green Bay Packers. Salute to our victory:

http://www.877theticket.com/upload/image/john-elway.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV6SbNi4OiJGa-rVsXEqMM9zAbe5sAB11ihsMGpmY-zBMb9V4k&t=1

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/peter_king/05/24/mmqbte/davis.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrMtFsiZDJw1UsHE8LwUnDZHqo6yDm0 sf3kgsYN9QYTCtO6IfW

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_8aVzL3e1EeT2RcJZWhvJmeb8pmzzi m2GzS80tCOKWvq3IA9Z

Chris
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
This was right about the same time Elway banged two 20 year olds my coworker knows. Go Broncos!

oubronco
01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
So Awesome

TDmvp
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
After those two season I could care less if we ever won it again in my lifetime.
God let me see those and that's all i needed.

Rep ...

Dudeskey
01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Makes me want to bust out the old VHS highlight tape lol

Natedog24
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5i00r6dDZ7Q" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Natedog24
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DsfUBwao90" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
BS...we were 14 point dogs

BigPlayShay
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM

I remember 13, but whatever. We did break the 13 game losing streak for the AFC though :yayaya:

Popps
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
After those two season I could care less if we ever won it again in my lifetime.
God let me see those and that's all i needed.

Rep ...

Seriously. What a burden lifted off of the fans and the organization.

Will never forget a minute of that day.

footstepsfrom#27
01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DsfUBwao90" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Look how young Shanahan looks. He aged a bunch since then.

mkporter
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Well, that's awkward. I've now got a boner at work.

gunns
01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought about it this morning. Such a great day, I will never forget the feeling. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

mkporter
01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5i00r6dDZ7Q" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

And now I'm tearing up at work. Still gives me shivers.

chrisp
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
It couldn't have been sweeter that we were such underdogs. My first year was the 42-10 loss to washington. Every year since i always rooted for the AFC in the superbowl but in hindsight I'm glad we had that massive AFC losing streak. It meant everything was against us. There were people saying that the AFC was INCAPABLE of beating the NFC. There was talk about realigning the league to give us a chance. Green bay had won the year before and were supposedly going to beat us to take Dallas' crown as the next great dynasty. Even I was just praying that somehow we would just be in the game.

Except I never really doubted that we woudl win. Sitting through those previous blowouts I knew that was the only way to beat #7, becuase if there was only a single-digit points difference in the 4th we all knew #7 would get it done. and he did!!!! :strong:

I will say this though: we lost the previous SBs so heavily becase the teams weren't really that good. The Bills lost theirs because they choked though, I'm sure of it! they had talent everywhere and they got hammered jeee-zuz! I rooted for them in the superbowl but I'm glad I don't support them.....

ColoradoDarin
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM

I think we opened at 14 points, but it was down to 13 by Sunday.

I moved away from Colorado after the 2nd Superbowl, it was so great living there when we won. What I remember most is for weeks hearing Dave Logan's calls of the game:

Davis - into the endzone, walking, standing up! Can you say, Denver is IN THE LEAD!

And my favorite:

One play baby, one play. 4th and 6. And I know I’m supposed to be objective but I can’t help it. 4th and 6 with 32 seconds to go. One play to the Championship. Freeman and Mays wide left, Chmura inside of Mickens to the right side, Favre with Levens behind him. 4th and 6 from the 31. Blitz is on. Favre – hit as he throws. Pass is gonna be INCOMPLETE!!!! DENVER HOOOOOLLLLDDDSSS!!! Denver’s gonna win it! Oh baby they’re gonna win this thing! Are you kidding me? Bronco players are all over the field! Oh man! You can stand up and salute in Denver. You got the World Champions that live in your town.

Eddie!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/dhaus5650/mcCaff-optimized.gif

FantomForce
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
And now I'm tearing up at work. Still gives me shivers.

it happens

vancejohnson82
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
i honestly thought we were screwed again...because on that last GB drive on the 3rd down play Atwater took out our entire secondary with a hit....

montrose
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Greatest day of my life until I lost my V Card.

vancejohnson82
01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Greatest day of my life until I lost my V Card.

i cried on both of these days

Mile High Shack
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
*sniff, sniff*

the helicopter run

sigh....

spdirty
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I think we opened at 14 points, but it was down to 13 by Sunday.

I moved away from Colorado after the 2nd Superbowl, it was so great living there when we won. What I remember most is for weeks hearing Dave Logan's calls of the game:

And my favorite:

Eddie!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/dhaus5650/mcCaff-optimized.gif

Reading that gave me goosebumps.

Nothing will ever come close to that Super Bowl. Ever. Even if Tebow breaks his leg during the Super Bowl and suffers and guts out brutal hit after brutal hit with blood all over his jersey and just wills the team to a Supe Bowl win.

Not even that would come close to the feeling i had when Mobley knocked that pass down and Elway kneeled before raising is arms in victory. Everything about that win was just so awesome and storybook.

I think the only day of my life that would be called better than that would be the birth of my son. Other than that, nothing comes close to the feeling i had when we won the Super Bowl that day. Didn't have a party either. Just me and my dad watching it, as we had every game that season. And to see the look on my dads face after 37 years of watching them, and suffering through all the disappointments, when we won, just unbelievable. Nothing will ever come close to that.

spdirty
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/091218/GAL-09Dec18-3387/media/PHO-09Dec18-194352.jpg

TDmvp
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Seriously. What a burden lifted off of the fans and the organization.

Will never forget a minute of that day.

Yea man I bet ...

I've never even been to Denver , just adopted it in like 85 and the years of people F-ing with me about the Broncos and John all went away and all my years of faith was rewarded and justified in one grand swoop , with four little words , This One's For John ...

Tombstone RJ
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I remember 13, but whatever. We did break the 13 game losing streak for the AFC though :yayaya:

Yep, the Broncos winning that game swung the power back to the AFC and it's been the AFC teams that have dominated ever sense. This was such a huge game for the Broncos and the entire AFC. The Broncos still don't get the credit they deserve for punching the NFC Golden Boy in the mouth, along with the cheezedick packers.

TailgateNut
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I thought about it this morning. Such a great day, I will never forget the feeling. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

No doubt. We had a party at the local watering hole and this was during my "partying days", so in addition to bringing home the Lombardi and bringing tears to my eyes, I had a souvenir to last me about 5 days. During the celebration party after the game one of the waitresses thought it would be a great idea to make a headband out of the Bronco Blue crepe' paper, and I thought it would be a good idea to wear it on my sweaty brow. (BAD IDEA).

The next morning when I was getting ready to take a shower I noticed a distinct 2" wide blue stripe on my forehead.

Note to self: The dye in those damn streamer thingies does NOT WASH OFF!
Not even with brillo pads.

Oh well, people understood!:yayaya:

Bronc62
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Greatest moment in Denver sports history, always will be. I don't care if the Rockies win the World Series or the Nuggets someday win the NBA title, nothing will match the Broncos beating Green Bay on Jan. 25, 1998 to win our first Super Bowl.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I got so hammered (and subsequently hung over) after that epic win that I couldn't drink when I actually turned 21 the following day. I'm pretty sure that I sold my soul for that win.... and it was totally worth it.

BigPlayShay
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I got so hammered (and subsequently hung over) after that epic win that I couldn't drink when I actually turned 21 the following day. I'm pretty sure that I sold my soul for that win.... and it was totally worth it.

Forgot that we had the same birthday and the exact same age. Same 21st situation for me. Reminded of it every year.

Broncos4Life
01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Damn! This is one of the best threads ever! I got chills looking at those pics and watching that starting lineup vid.

SoCalBronco
01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Best day of my life! :)

I remember many things about it very vividly....including when my uncle popped the champagne and the cork hit his nose (he's a Raiders fan, but was being a good sport for me...looks like the cork wouldn't forgive him for being a Raiders fan :) ).

JakeNbake
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Tebow was born 13 years ago

Vegas_Bronco
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Instead of worrying about who won the superbowl this year, we should be equally worried about who won the science contest....no mr. President...we should just enjoy the double trumped years in broncos history.

Broncobiv
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
What an amazing team. Atwater, Neil Smith coming over from our division rivals, TD and (possibly more importantly) the amazing offensive line we had. We really had it on both side of the ball!

OABB
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I was there. At qualcomm. Saw it with my own two eyes. I cried, literally cried when the ball hit the ground.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2011, 12:57 AM
First Superbowl I ever snuck into and the RV partying (when they allowed you to do that-the last year) with the other Broncos fans and Packer faithful, the game, the afterparties in Old Town, the relief to all long suffering broncos fans was sweet. I cried in the endzone at the stadium with a few others as cameras around the stadiums filming us. I never saw it except the NBC Tonight Show breakaway to commercial where I was standing near the tunnel. I also remember yelling at Bradshaw (or was that in Florida the following year) since he said Elway wouldnt win a Superbowl. I need to scan some of those pics and share them.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Found them. Damn Im young. Here is some shots of when I snuck onto the old Mile High and have a piece of the South Stands. I also snuck into the locker room and press conference room. Sucks I found out how to do it the very last game we had there. The Barrel Man one is just for memories. He was in SD a few years back. Miss that guy.

TailgateNut
01-26-2011, 04:40 AM

Nothing like fvcking up a perfect thread.

TailgateNut
01-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Found them. Damn Im young. Here is some shots of when I snuck onto the old Mile High and have a piece of the South Stands. I also snuck into the locker room and press conference room. Sucks I found out how to do it the very last game we had there.

all of our (mine and Jims) kids sat in the south stands for that game against the 9ers. I also have a big chunk of the bleachers. Sad to let the Old Mare go. She was better than the new by a "Mile".

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 05:21 AM
I cried like a baby...

Kaylore
01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Nothing will trump that win because of how they did it. The revenge tour and then beating KC and Pitt in their houses. Then having to listen to all the media tell us how crappy we were. Then, and people don't mention this, the fact that literally half the town was expecting us to get creamed. It was the most scared I'd seen the fan base. At least half of everyone thought we'd lose. I had my fears as well, but was just happy to be back. Huge upset and seeing John finally hold the trophy - it was all epic.

BigPlayShay
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Found them. Damn Im young. Here is some shots of when I snuck onto the old Mile High and have a piece of the South Stands. I also snuck into the locker room and press conference room. Sucks I found out how to do it the very last game we had there.

That dude in the background of the Griese pic was my Oline coach in High School. He was also the security guy for the team. Had ties with EAS and was instrumental in getting them involved with EAS.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Picture before the game in the lot and then 2nd pic is a nice Broncos fan helping out the Packers' fan get through the loss. Boy, we had experience with that. I am sure you can figure out the before the game shots and after shots. Some of the best times was helping out the Packers fans get through the loss. We had so much experience with it. The lot and stadium was 75% Packers and 25% Broncos.

broncosteven
01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
It was a great day.

I watched SB XXI with my dad who is a Packer fan and after the Packers won I turned to him and shook his hand and told him to enjoy it because next year was my turn.

Sure enough a year later and we watched it with my baby neice and nephew and TD is controlling the game, scores the go ahead TD and I think it's in the bag and then my Brother-in-law reminds me of the new 2 point conversion rule that the Pack could have used to win the game on so I had to wait until the Victory formation for the win.

One of my favorite memories was watching a shell shocked Bret Farverer being taken off the field, he looked like he was thinking that there was no way we lost, I was supposed to win. Just the look on his face was priceless.

oubronco
01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
No doubt. We had a party at the local watering hole and this was during my "partying days", so in addition to bringing home the Lombardi and bringing tears to my eyes, I had a souvenir to last me about 5 days. During the celebration party after the game one of the waitresses thought it would be a great idea to make a headband out of the Bronco Blue crepe' paper, and I thought it would be a good idea to wear it on my sweaty brow. (BAD IDEA).

The next morning when I was getting ready to take a shower I noticed a distinct 2" wide blue stripe on my forehead.

Note to self: The dye in those damn streamer thingies does NOT WASH OFF!
Not even with brillo pads.

Oh well, people understood!:yayaya:

Hilarious!

bendog
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM

It's a sign! (-:

BigPlayShay
01-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Bump. 16 years ago today. Let's hope we return to glory next weekend.

Armchair Bronco
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Epic game. IMO, the most exciting SB ever played, especially considering all the hype leading up to the game and that fact that Denver was a double-digit underdog.

Elway, TD, Atwater, Sharpe, McCaffrey, Braxton, Neil Smith, Schelereth...it was quite a crew.

Out

BigPlayShay
01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Out

Seriously, you edited your post to add "Out"?

Armchair Bronco
01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Seriously, you edited your post to say "Out"?

Well, it isn't second nature yet. So, yes: I did edit it.

Out

SimonFletcher73
01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Good bump. Missed this the first time around.

Those are some great classic pics BroncoCaliJohn.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Seriously, you edited your post to add "Out"?

Totes mcgoats, birthday boy.

BigPlayShay
01-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Totes mcgoats, birthday boy.

Ha! Happy early one to you too, Doc.