PDA

View Full Version : Chicago man wears Packers tie to work, is promptly fired

TDmvp
01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chicago-man-wears-Packers-tie-to-work-is-prompt?urn=nfl-311976

From Chicago's WGNtv.com comes the unfortunately real story of a Chicago car salesman who was fired because he wore a Green Bay Packers tie to work. And making it even worse, the man wore it because his grandma was a Packers fan who had recently died and was buried two days before her beloved team's NFC Championship game matchup with the Chicago Bears.

Continued at the link...

F'ed up story tho...

Chris
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Well his boss deserves Jay Cutler.

oubronco
01-25-2011, 12:55 PM
I smell a lawsuit

BroncosMT
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I smell a lawsuit

I would agree based on wrongful termination. There are different sides to this story....I heard that his boss has him repeatedly to take it off and gave him an ultimatum.....ESPN has been riding the story all day

Dudeskey
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I smell a lawsuit

if Illinois is anything like here in CO, he'll have no recourse.

Pony Boy
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Since when is being a car salesman considered as having a job?

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I smell a lawsuit

I would agree based on wrongful termination.

Ummm, no way. Illinois is an "at will" state, meaning you can be terminated for just about any reason (short of public policy).

There is no recourse here for the employee in a court of law. It'd be a waste of money to try to bring a suit over this.

BroncosMT
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Ummm, no way. Illinois is an "at will" state, meaning you can be terminated for just about any reason (short of public policy).

There is no recourse here for the employee in a court of law. It'd be a waste of money to try to bring a suit over this.

Wow....didn't know about the "at will" Yeah there is no way.....sounds silly to me though...or maybe just an excuse to get rid of a sucky employee

baja
01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
must have a Camaro dealership.

underrated29
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM

yup at will states are a biatch.

unless the guy is black or of some ethinicty he is screwed.

Dudeskey
01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

In all likehood he has already been advised of this by an attorney. Not a good time to lose your job (is there a good time to?).

baja
01-25-2011, 01:48 PM

well he is a Packer fan, that's got to be a minority in Chicago

TDmvp
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/01/25/fanx-inset-community.jpg

Drunk Monkey
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
What a jackass. He got fired over a tie. It reminds me of that scene from Friday where Ice Cube got fired on his day off. "You got to be a stupid mutha****er to get fired on your day off"..... or for a tie.

BroncoLifer
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I haven't heard of any courts recognizing NFL team preference as a protected class.

underrated29
&nbsp;<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' salign='l' flashvars='&amp;titleAvailable=true&amp;playerAvailable=tr ue&amp;searchAvailable=false&amp;shareFlag=N&amp;singleURL=htt p://wgntv.vidcms.trb.com/alfresco/service/edge/content/a9696036-d765-4656-b1eb-40f60de36559&amp;propName=wgntv.com&amp;hostURL=http://www.wgntv.com&amp;swfPath=http://wgntv.vid.trb.com/player/&amp;omAccount=tribglobal&amp;omnitureServer=wgntv.com' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' menu='true' name='PaperVideoTest' bgcolor='#ffffff' devicefont='false' wmode='transparent' scale='showall' loop='true' play='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' quality='high' src='http://wgntv.vid.trb.com/player/PaperVideoTest.swf' align='middle' height='450' width='300'></embed>

Well he could potentially try to pull the race card and go for discrimination but it would cost him more than it is worth I think. Plus, it would suck having to work for that boss again after that

Pick Six
Wow....didn't know about the "at will" Yeah there is no way.....sounds silly to me though...or maybe just an excuse to get rid of a sucky employee

That's what I'm thinking. This guy probably wouldn't be fired if he was one of the top salespeople. I think there's another side to this story...

bfoflcommish
In all likehood he has already been advised of this by an attorney. Not a good time to lose your job (is there a good time to?).

which i think is fine to him. The boss said the tie would hurt business, well what does he think about this type of publicity? haha talk about backfiring

JakeNbake
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
He's racist... obviously.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
well perhaps a ton of negative publicity and a boycott of this dealership will make em sing a different tune . btw we need to run all raider fans out of colorado on a rail . i kid i kid

Drunk Monkey
01-25-2011, 01:54 PM
The blurb I heard on the news this morning was that the dealership had a marketing relationship with the Bears. The manager felt by wearing the tie he was not helping them maintain that relationship. He was warned of that and still did not take the tie off. Sounds just to me.

Pick Six
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I think it would be a good conversation piece, which is what a salesperson would want.

"Seriously? You're a Packers fan?"

The conversation would continue from there...

WolfpackGuy
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Green and gold together unless one is trim for the other don't go with much.

It would also depend on the shirt.

JakeNbake
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Also if I were in Chicago and trying to sell a car I don't believe I'd wear a packers tie... I don't think you'd have much luck. That is unless you're trying to sell a car to Cutler.

baja
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Also if I were in Chicago and trying to sell a car I don't believe I'd wear a packers tie... I don't think you'd have much luck. That is unless you're trying to sell a car to Cutler.

If you see Cutler in the showroom you roll out this;

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/172524991_805c99e117.jpg

Instant sale!

Garcia Bronco
That's what he gets for living in that ****burger sandwich of a state.

JakeNbake
If you see Cutler in the showroom you roll out this;

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/172524991_805c99e117.jpg

Instant sale!

Why does it have an Ipod on the roof?

Gcver2ver3
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
him getting fired is his own fault...

if you're in a heavy Chicago Bears area and insist on wearing something that could potentially drive away business, then you are clearly not in the right frame of mind...

it's the manager's job to do whats best for the business, and having a guy walk around with GB Packers attire the day after the Bears lost to the Pack is idiotic and quite frankly bad for business...those Bear fans take that crap serious over there...

besides, its not like he fired him on the spot, he told him repeatedly (allegedly 5 times) to take the tie off...gimme a break...non story IMO...

Gcver2ver3
01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
and i don't buy the tribute to grandmother thing...

i'm not saying the guy didn't have his gramma in mind when he decided to wear it, but its not like on her death bed she insisted if the Packers ever win the title game to wear a Packer tie to work...

so why hurt your employer's business to make your tribute?...just wear it somewhere else...

i think the guy didn't like the idea of his boss telling him how to dress and liked it even less how he was told to take off the tie (basically was told to take off the tie or take a hike)....so he was defiant and wants to now pin it on a "tribute to his gramma"...

lame...

montrose
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
That's awesome, I'd give anything for Denver to start treating the thousands and thousands of out-of-town fans like that. lol

IHaveALight
01-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Am I the only one siding with this guy?

The blurb I heard on the news this morning was that the dealership had a marketing relationship with the Bears. The manager felt by wearing the tie he was not helping them maintain that relationship. He was warned of that and still did not take the tie off. Sounds just to me.

Unless it's part of his job description (in his contract or he had to sign off on it) that he's not allowed to wear such items then they have absolutely no right to fire him over this.

Tombstone RJ
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
That's awesome, I'd give anything for Denver to start treating the thousands and thousands of out-of-town fans like that. lol

No doubt. You can only get away with stuff like this in a mid-west stink hole where no one wants to live (same with back east).

Out in Colorado where everyone wants to live, you gotta be all PC. Fuggem I say, fuggem all if you don't support Colorado teams. Move back to Cali or DC or Ohio or wherever you came from and take your friggen home town team love with you, idiots.

oubronco
01-25-2011, 04:55 PM
must have a Camaro dealership.

You sayin you don't like camaro's

oubronco
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/images/JamesBucks69Camaro.jpg (http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/which-romantic-comedy-was-the-biggest-bomb/question-1276075/)http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/69_z28/69_camaro_z2811.jpg

oubronco
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
What the hell's wrong with camaro's
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3829153476_7718863d00.jpg

OrangeSe7en
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Well he could potentially try to pull the race card and go for discrimination but it would cost him more than it is worth I think. Plus, it would suck having to work for that boss again after that

Not when he was told several times to take it off.

OrangeSe7en
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Unless it's part of his job description (in his contract or he had to sign off on it) that he's not allowed to wear such items then they have absolutely no right to fire him over this.

Apparently a tie the day after the NFC ch. game is such an item. The car business has to worry about losing business. It's really easy to put off customers who can just as easily go down the street to another dealership. The guy's employment exists to help sale cars. Thats his job description. The tie was not good business.

Vegas_Bronco
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Agreed...you never ever ever wear team paraphenelia when you are doing sales...not even when it looks cute. You sell the public yourself and then they'll listen to you re: the product. I hate salesmen/women that look like hell...wont ever buy from someone who doesn't take themself serious enough...why will they give a damn after I leave?

gunns
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder what would have happened if he wore a Cutler tie?

The only thing wrong with Camaro's are if they are on blocks.....in the middle of the country.....in the yard of mullet wearing redneck.

baja
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Agreed...you never ever ever wear team paraphenelia when you are doing sales...not even when it looks cute. You sell the public yourself and then they'll listen to you re: the product. I hate salesmen/women that look like hell...wont ever buy from someone who doesn't take themself serious enough...why will they give a damn after I leave?

News for ya even the best dressed ones won't give a damn about you after you leave

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2011, 06:59 AM

You couldn't be more wrong. Do yourself a favor and google "at will employment." By definition, he can be fired for any reason or no reason at all (outside of public policy/protected class issues which don't apply here).

JJG
01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I can understand both sides of the argument but I think firing the guy is a little drastic. Why don't you just send the guy home for a day.

There is also a history we don't understand. Is this guy a good or bad salesman? Maybe this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Los Broncos
01-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Could I be canned by my employer for having kidney stones and being on medical for two months?

I know they can do whatever they want.

Phantom
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Should have worn the tie BEFORE the game was played.

Mogulseeker
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM

This...

I honestly don't care about the story, but chances are I'd side with the boss. I mean, you're in Chicago, doing a Bears promotion, and someone wears a Packers tie to work?

I can understand where firing someone for a sports tie might be over the top, but the business world is a little different. Article says he gave him the opportunity to take it off several times.

No sympathy.

Drunk Monkey
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I can understand both sides of the argument but I think firing the guy is a little drastic. Why don't you just send the guy home for a day.

There is also a history we don't understand. Is this guy a good or bad salesman? Maybe this is the straw that broke the camels back.

As someone else mentioned it depends on the person. If he was the best sales person they have I am sure something more lenient would have happened like sending him home with a writen warning. If he was the kind of person who would, lets say, use poor professional judgement, disobey a managers repeatably, and places more value on petty personal issue than his continued employment he is probably expendable.

Drunk Monkey
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Could I be canned by my employer for having kidney stones and being on medical for two months?

If everything checked out with a Doc then they would not be able to fire you. If they did they would leave themselves open to a lawsuit. Many lazy unproductive members of society exploit this everyday. As an employer it can be frustrating. Even if the employee was productive before, give them 2 paid months on the couch and very seldom do you get the same person back. Having said that there are always cases where it is a valid medical reason and the person is not able to work.

Rock Chalk
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Yes they do. It's an "at will" state. Employers have the right to fire anyone for any reason and employee's have the right to quit for any reason.

The dumbass was wearing a Packer's tie as a car salesman in Chicago. It's bad for business. He was repeatedly asked to take the tie off to my understanding. I'm sorry, but I'd fire him to. Insubordination is a very legitimate excuse to fire someone (even if you technically dont even need a reason).

broncosteven
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM

This.

It is funny how companies talk about having a 3 step process before being terminated but in reality they can fire you at any time. I didn't realize it until I became a manager and had to let a good guy go.

broncosteven
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

They cannot fire you if your on FMLA but they can fire you the day you return to work if your in an at-will state.

Los Broncos
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
If everything checked out with a Doc then they would not be able to fire you. If they did they would leave themselves open to a lawsuit. Many lazy unproductive members of society exploit this everyday. As an employer it can be frustrating. Even if the employee was productive before, give them 2 paid months on the couch and very seldom do you get the same person back. Having said that there are always cases where it is a valid medical reason and the person is not able to work.

No faking it here, doctor has written me off till everything passes.

I'm pretty good at my job and well liked, pretty excited to return.

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't have even warned the guy. I would have fired him for just being THAT stupid. Would you want someone working for you that's THAT clueless?

Los Broncos
01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
They cannot fire you if your on FMLA but they can fire you the day you return to work if your in an at-will state.

wow, that would be a kick right in the balls.

Would I have a chance at a case?

BroncosMT
01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
FMLA only covers you for 12 weeks right? After that....not sure I think

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2011, 11:16 AM
wow, that would be a kick right in the balls.

Would I have a chance at a case?

No bigger a kick than the women who go on full maternity leave, use up all their benefits, tell their employer they're coming back so the employer leaves their spot open and doesn't fill it.....then the woman calls in on what's supposed to be her first day back and says that she quit. That sucks for an employer and happens every day.

Los Broncos
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
No bigger a kick than the women who go on full maternity leave, use up all their benefits, tell their employer they're coming back so the employer leaves their spot open and doesn't fill it.....then the woman calls in on what's supposed to be her first day back and says that she quit. That sucks for an employer and happens every day.

That's happen at work before.

BroncosMT
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM

agreed....not fun to deal with as a supervisor

Austin Bronco Fan
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
him getting fired is his own fault...

if you're in a heavy Chicago Bears area and insist on wearing something that could potentially drive away business, then you are clearly not in the right frame of mind...

it's the manager's job to do whats best for the business, and having a guy walk around with GB Packers attire the day after the Bears lost to the Pack is idiotic and quite frankly bad for business...those Bear fans take that crap serious over there...

besides, its not like he fired him on the spot, he told him repeatedly (allegedly 5 times) to take the tie off...gimme a break...non story IMO...

I disagree. In fact it's something that could have been good for sales. Would provide a good ice breaker to start a conversation with a buyer. A good salesman would easily use that to his advantage.

I think the GM here was the one who made the poor business decision. There were no complaints or indications that business was being harmed when he took action. It also appears to be a "knee-jerk" reaction that brought with it a lot of bad publicity. I'd wager the negative effect on sales by the bad publicity far outweighs anything the tie would cause. And somehow I doubt it was mentioned 5 times. GM states it was still really early in the day. That's an awful lot of times to bring something up in such a short period of time.

Anyway, looks like one dealership's poor decision becomes another one's advantage. This salesman was hired Tuesday by a rival Chevy dealer:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/26622639/detail.html

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2011, 06:36 AM
I disagree. In fact it's something that could have been good for sales. Would provide a good ice breaker to start a conversation with a buyer. A good salesman would easily use that to his advantage.

I don't care how good the salesman is. If he's wearing Raiders gear, I'm not buying a car from him. Period.

I think the GM here was the one who made the poor business decision. There were no complaints or indications that business was being harmed when he took action.

None that you know of. Because you've only heard one side of the story.

It also appears to be a "knee-jerk" reaction that brought with it a lot of bad publicity. I'd wager the negative effect on sales by the bad publicity far outweighs anything the tie would cause.

Bad publicity? Where? How? There's no such thing in a case like this.

Think about it. Dealership in Denver that regularly does Broncos promotions fires a guy who wears Raiders, Chiefs or Chargers gear to work. Are you really going to be LESS likely to buy from a place like that? No way. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if it brought in MORE business.

Anyway, looks like one dealership's poor decision becomes another one's advantage. This salesman was hired Tuesday by a rival Chevy dealer

You're again assuming something.....this time, that he's a good salesmen. I think it's far more likely that he's sucky at his job. Like others have said, if he was really good at his job, he'd still be there.

Cool Breeze
01-27-2011, 08:16 AM
This guy got fired for having good taste. I would shop at the other Chevy dealership.

Jason in LA
01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
When I first heard the story I thought it was BS to fire the guy. But if the reason was because of the marketing deal, and the guy was told it was because of that deal, I can see managements point. If the boss was a Bears fan and that was the only reason then it's BS. Or if the boss didn't tell him it was because of marketing. But if he stated the reason and the guy still didn't take the tie off, he kind of got what was coming to him.

Kind of similar story. I was shooting a Clippers game a couple weeks back. A good friend of mine was in the stands with his young son and called me up, because I was sitting next to a cameraman on the court. He asked me if I could tell the cameraman to put his son on the big screen. So I asked the guy, but he said he couldn't get the shot because there were two guys sitting in front of them wearing Heat jerseys. The cameramen are told not to put people on the big screen wearing the opposing team's jerseys or shirts. So the kid couldn't get on the big screen because the two guys in the Heat jersey would have jumped up and got in the shot.

That's just how it is.

jhns
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
This stuff happens a lot in cities with playoff teams.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/01/16/seattle-tacoma-student-sent-home-for-wearing-wrong-jersey-bears-gain-new-fan/

jhns
01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/287167?noredir=1

Another one. Both links I posted are of kids getting in trouble for wearing the wrong teams jerseys.

Gcver2ver3
01-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I think the GM here was the one who made the poor business decision. There were no complaints or indications that business was being harmed when he took action. It also appears to be a "knee-jerk" reaction that brought with it a lot of bad publicity. I'd wager the negative effect on sales by the bad publicity far outweighs anything the tie would cause. And somehow I doubt it was mentioned 5 times. GM states it was still really early in the day. That's an awful lot of times to bring something up in such a short period of time.

Anyway, looks like one dealership's poor decision becomes another one's advantage. This salesman was hired Tuesday by a rival Chevy dealer:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/26622639/detail.html

as a manager of having managed thousands of people in an aggressive sales industry which i work, i couldnt possibly disagree more...but to each his own i guess...

if i were the other dealership, i wouldn't have touched that guy with a 10 foot pole...potentially a trouble maker...

and another perspective... it might actually be GOOD for business that in a Bears heavy district that they fired someone for wearing packers gear...its possible that dealership got some more Bear fans visiting due to that publicity...