PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Allen, new DC

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Just now starting to come out

BMarsh615
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Breaking news: Broncos have a new d-coordinator - dennis allen. Story being posted now at foxsports.com

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/29760702705049600

Just got it confirmed from the Broncs ... Dennis Allen is the new DC. He was the DB's coach in New Orleans.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/29763759874510848

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Good luck to him. What is his background..4-3 or 3-4?

Williams
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow... I thought for sure waiting on Trgovac was the plan. Oh well, Welcome Dennis Allen!

footstepsfrom#27
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Who cares let's talk about Cutler some more.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Was it Michael Lombardi that had a piece this week, noting the praise for Allen?

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Found his wiki page. Cool guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Allen

loborugger
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
We passed on his boss Gregg Williams and took him. Interesting.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Footsteps - he's from Hurst. Let's send a fruit basket.

BigPlayShay
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
He has coached under Wade Phillips, Jim Mora, Greg Williams.

Kid A
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Found his wiki page. Cool guy:

Allen, nicknamed Mr. Death or Mr. D, was believed to have been involved in up to 13 underworld murders, including the dismembering of a Hells Angels biker with a chainsaw.

Finally! Someone who will bring some aggression to the defense.

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that he's been involved with both the 3-4 and 4-3.

BigPlayShay
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches/dennis-allen/65aac488-e14f-4030-a5e9-b6eacdc207da

http://prod.static.saints.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/NO/photos/persons/coach-card/allen_dennis_v2.jpg

Entering his fifth year with the Saints, Dennis Allen begins his third season as secondary coach after serving as assistant defensive line coach during his first two years with the club. A nine-year NFL coaching veteran, Allen brings a well-rounded base of experience to his position – with an emphasis on working with defensive backs – and a strong reputation for his teaching skills.

In 2009, the Saints’ secondary overcame injuries to both starting cornerbacks that cost them much of the second half of the season, but still posted 20 interceptions and returned five of those picks for touchdowns. Defensive backs also made large contributions in the postseason, with CB Tracy Porter intercepting a pass late in the NFC Championhip game to send the game to overtime and returning an interception for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV to ice the victory.

While serving as assistant defensive line coach from 2006-07, Allen helped develop a unit that ranked as one of the strengths of the Saints’ defense. During that stretch, the defensive front combined for 48.5 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and 10 fumble recoveries and DE Will Smith was voted to the 2006 Pro Bowl.

Allen joined the Saints after a four-year stint with the Atlanta Falcons, where he spent his final two years as defensive assistant/quality control, with an emphasis on working with the defensive line. Over the previous two seasons, he was in charge of defensive quality control while helping tutor the secondary.

Over his last two years in Atlanta, the Falcons’ defense was paced by the play of the front four. In 2004, Atlanta led the NFL for the first time in club history with 48 sacks and the unit sent DE Patrick Kerney to the Pro Bowl. In 2005 DT Rod Coleman represented the club in the Pro Bowl and the Falcons notched 37 sacks.

In 2002, Allen’s first year with the Falcons, he assisted in coaching the defensive backfield. Atlanta improved to 16th against the pass after ranking 30th the year before, and tied for third in the NFL with 24 interceptions.

Taking over as the Saints’ secondary coach in 2008 was a return to Allen’s coaching roots. He had two stints working with defensive backs in the past on the college level.

Allen worked as the secondary coach for the University of Tulsa (2000-01) before heading to the NFL. Prior to his stint at Tulsa, Allen was on the coaching staff for four years (1996-99) at Texas A&M as a graduate assistant, working primarily with the school’s secondary.

A native of Hurst, Texas, Allen earned four letters for Texas A&M as a safety from 1992-95 and started the final 21 games of his career. A highlight was his fourth-quarter interception that clinched an 18-9 victory over Texas in 1993, sending the Aggies to their third-straight Cotton Bowl. He collected Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors after intercepting two passes in a 36-14 win over Oklahoma in 1994.

Allen was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills and competed in their training camp in 1996. Allen’s father, Grady, was a linebacker for the Falcons from 1969-72.

He and his wife, Alisson, have a son, Garrison and a daughter, Layla.

PLAYING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1992-95.
COACHING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1996-1999; University of Tulsa, 2000-01; Atlanta Falcons, 2002-05; New Orleans Saints, 2006-.

footstepsfrom#27
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Footsteps - he's from Hurst. Let's send a fruit basket.
Ha ha...LD Bell guy, Tommy Maddox old HS. I used to jog there.

Boobs McGee
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
He has coached under Wade Phillips, Jim Mora, Greg Williams.

I like this part

Can someone break down similarities between saints/Broncos rosters? What we can expect?

Rulon Velvet Jones

I taught drums there from 99-02. I remember that track well.

spdirty
Cool. Hell with football, lets just waste the mother ****ers.

randomtask
01-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Dude has been a fine positional coach all over the defensive side of the ball, and got good tutoring from Gregg Williams and Jim Johnson.

Hopefully that will translate to being a good DC.

Williams
01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
New Orleans Saints assistant Dennis Allen ready to move up coaching ladder, Sean Payton says

Whether or not New Orleans Saints secondary coach Dennis Allen leaves for a defensive coordinator gig in the coming days, Coach Sean Payton said he expects him to move up the coaching ranks eventually.

"It's a small league, and there aren't many secrets," Payton said. "His reputation has grown, and the word has gotten around. You can see it on film. He's extremely talented, and another thing about him, he's an extremely hard-working guy. He's a guy that's going to have more of these opportunities down the line."

Allen, 38, is scheduled to interview with the Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles for their coordinator vacancies this weekend. Payton said the tentative plan is for Allen to interview for the Broncos job Friday and Saturday, followed by the Eagles on Saturday and Sunday.

Teams aren't required to allow their assistants to interview for coordinator positions, and some teams choose to deny such requests. But Payton said he and General Manager Mickey Loomis believe in giving their assistants the chance to leave for promotions such as this. The Saints previously lost offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Doug Marrone when he became head coach at Syracuse late in the 2008 season.

"It's always a tough thing, wanting your coaches to have the opportunity but not wanting to lose them," said Payton, who is particularly close friends with new Broncos Coach John Fox -- a good and bad thing in this case. "This experience of going through the interview process and getting his name out there is deserved. He has done a very good job. He's extremely well thought of within this building."

Although Allen is relatively young and inexperienced in the NFL coaching ranks, Payton said he has the leadership skills and presence that will make him stand out in such interviews, as well as the right skill set.

The Broncos job would seem to be a more likely fit since Fox is a defensive coach by trade. He will be heavily involved on that side of the ball, rather than turning the reins over to a newly hired assistant.

Allen's candidacy was seen as more of a surprise in Philadelphia since the Eagles just fired their own young coordinator, Sean McDermott, who was promoted from secondary coach to defensive coordinator two years ago. The Eagles were expected to seek a replacement with more experience, but so far they have been kicking the tires on a variety of candidates.

Allen became part of Payton's original staff in 2006, when he pieced together a collection of coaches who were willing to move to post-Katrina New Orleans for a massive rebuilding project.

Allen started as the Saints' assistant defensive line coach after serving as a lower-level assistant with the Atlanta Falcons. Payton said he had heard "a ton of good things about him" in Atlanta, and he said the former college safety was projected as a future secondary coach. Allen made the move after the team parted ways with secondary coach Tom Hayes in 2008.

"Dennis has been one of those 'Day 1' guys from when we got here in '06. And his role each year has encompassed more and more," Payton said of Allen, whose role was overshadowed by the high-profile additions of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and free agents Jabari Greer and Darren Sharper in 2009.

The Saints' secondary has emerged as one of the team's strengths and one of the NFL's best units during the past two years.

A native of Hurst, Texas, Allen played safety at Texas A&M and signed with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 1996, but he never played in the NFL. He began his coaching career at Texas A&M and Tulsa before joining the Falcons.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/01/new_orleans_saints_assistant_d.html

Baba Booey
01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Sounds good. Let's get some Orange Crush back.

serious hops
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Okay, when do they tell us what base front he's going to run?

montrose
01-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Ahh, the most overrated hire of the Broncos offseason - the man that will be to John Fox what Mike McCoy was to Josh McDaniels.

BroncoDoug
01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
The real question is who is going to replace him next year?

Jesterhole
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Sounds OK. Would have prefered a defensive line guru instead of a secondary guy...our defensive back haven't been the issue.

randomtask
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds OK. Would have prefered a defensive line guru instead of a secondary guy...our defensive back haven't been the issue.

He worked with the D-line earlier in his career.

Inkana7
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM

He's also coached DL.

schaaf
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
hopefully he teaches our secondary to become aggressive on the ball.

broncos-rock
01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Broncos Defense-TM-Broncos Jan. 24 - 11:53 pm et

Broncos hired Saints secondary coach Dennis Allen as defensive coordinator.
News broke last week of the Eagles' interest in Allen, and the Broncos suddenly had interest and went out and signed him. It's an odd fit, since Allen worked only with 4-3 defenses and the Broncos have had a 3-4 for the past two years. Their best defender -- Elvis Dumervil -- is best suited to play in a 3-4. Denver now appears likely to change back to a 4-3 system. While Allen may be a fine coach, it's hard to imagine a smooth transition.
Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter
Related: Saints, Eagles

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Ahh, the most overrated hire of the Broncos offseason - the man that will be to John Fox what Mike McCoy was to Josh McDaniels.

That might very well be the case, but hopefully Coach Fox uses him as a sounding board and they bounce creative ideas off of each other rather than one guy calling the shots and the other guy being the coaching staff version of Xanders.

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM

News broke last week of the Eagles' interest in Allen, and the Broncos suddenly had interest and went out and signed him. It's an odd fit, since Allen worked only with 4-3 defenses and the Broncos have had a 3-4 for the past two years. Their best defender -- Elvis Dumervil -- is best suited to play in a 3-4. Denver now appears likely to change back to a 4-3 system. While Allen may be a fine coach, it's hard to imagine a smooth transition.

If he's worked with Wade Phillips that wouldn't appear to be accurate.

montrose
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
That might very well be the case, but hopefully Coach Fox uses him as a sounding board and they bounce creative ideas off of each other rather than one guy calling the shots and the other guy being the coaching staff version of Xanders.

So you don't want Allen bringing Fox pizza?

Ratboy
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
http://ericpalmer.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/puppet.gif

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
http://ericpalmer.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/puppet.gif

Self portrait?

Inkana7
01-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I think because of what we've experienced with the last 2 head coaches, people expect this guy to be just a mechanism from with John Fox controls his defense. I don't think this is true. I think Allen will have a lot of control over the defense and John Fox will do what a good head coach does, manage the game and everything else.

I think Dennis Allen is gonna be a good one for us.

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
So you don't want Allen bringing Fox pizza?

lol

Ratboy
01-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Self portrait?

of Dennis Allen? Yes.

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I think because of what we've experienced with the last 2 head coaches, people expect this guy to be just a mechanism from with John Fox controls his defense. I don't think this is true. I think Allen will have a lot of control over the defense and John Fox will do what a good head coach does, manage the game and everything else.

I think Dennis Allen is gonna be a good one for us.

I hope so man! I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do...hopefully he can help us out. :thumbsup:

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM

I think Dennis Allen is gonna be a good one for us.I agree. Fox doesn't appear to be the control freak that both Shanahan and McDaniels were.

schaaf
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
This hire excites me, the Saints secondary creates a lot of turnovers, that is one thing I don't think our secondary has ever been very good at.

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds OK. Would have prefered a defensive line guru instead of a secondary guy.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02oA0UW1Va0Zw/610x.jpg

Sorry, but I had to. It's not often there is a perfect time for a Jacob Burney pic WITH the infamous sled, too AND Engleberger. :) He's gonna let the nineties loose (hat tip to Khan for coming up with that).

broncocalijohn
01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I think we hired a dead guy...

R8R H8R
01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I think this will be a decent hire. Fox can oversee him, and take over the play calls if he is a little shaky at first. Now he needs to get over to the Senior Bowl and find us some front seven studs!

BTW, where did Sean McDermott end up, and did we ever interview him? Just wondering.

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
of Dennis Allen? Yes.

Are you saying you're Dennis Allen?

broncofan2438
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
We just cant hire anyone with a name already for themselves

schaaf
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
I think this will be a decent hire. Fox can oversee him, and take over the play calls if he is a little shaky at first. Now he needs to get over to the Senior Bowl and find us some front seven studs!

BTW, where did Sean McDermott end up, and did we ever interview him? Just wondering.

Carolina

Rigs11
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
How long does he get? A year?

schaaf
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I would think with Fox hopefully bringing a little stability he'll be here until he decides to leave.

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM

People need to adjust their Shanahan clocks.

broncos-rock
01-24-2011, 10:41 PM

Yea! thats what I thought too but you have to remember the source on this because its Alex Marvez. He used to cover the broncos and now covers the dolphins.

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Yea! thats what I thought too but you have to remember the source on this because its Alex Marvez. He used to cover the broncos and now covers the dolphins.

NFL head coaches under whom Dennis Allen has served:
Wade Phillips: Dallas Cowboys
Sean Payton: New Orleans Saints

R8R H8R
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
People need to adjust their Shanahan clocks.

Agreed. What I think Fox will bring, at least on the defense, is stability and continuity for as long as he is coach, hopefully at least 5 years. We have not had that since the SB years.

serious hops
01-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Allen was on the defensive staff in Atlanta when Wade was the DC there in '02-'03. I' not one-hundred percent positive, but I'm pretty sure they ran a 34. I remember interviews with Brooking talking about having the action funneled to him instead of playing the weak side in the 43.

Kaylore
01-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Actually not at all. Fox delegates. He's pretty much the polar opposite management style to McDaniels. Mind you Fox will have a heavy hand in the defense since that's his thing, but this position is hardly a token one. Allen will have play calling abilities and be key in the overall game plan whereas McCoy's role was entirely token.

Vegas_Bronco
01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Get ready for lots of cover 2...and zone...say goodbye to 1/2 our current lbs. THIS BE my fav hire this entire offseason...not only does he.know personnel traits needed, but he also knows how to make guys accountable in the trenches.

Kaylore
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Yes the closest we've had is Nolan. Fox likes to make his guys win their individual battles. He doesn't blitz much. I'm curious how Fox will work with Allen, who is more creative in his fronts and coverage schemes. I'm sure they've decided on something that, on paper at least, seems to be workable.

R8R H8R
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Get ready for lots of cover 2...and zone...say goodbye to 1/2 our current lbs. THIS BE my fav hire this entire offseason...not only does he.know personnel traits needed, but he also knows how to make guys accountable in the trenches.

Since Allen is a DB guy, it will be interesting to see if he will favor going for Peterson w/ the 2nd pick of the draft.
If he really wants Peterson, I would prefer that we move back some spots and get an extra pick or two to get more front 7 guys.

broncocalijohn
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Why so long? That would be months longer than the going rate the last 6 years.

strafen
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

He's going to run Fox's system I will assume.
Fox will work with this guy to teach him his system, so I don't see Allen coming over here with a system of his own...

Vegas_Bronco
01-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes the closest we've had is Nolan. Fox likes to make his guys win their individual battles. He doesn't blitz much. I'm curious how Fox will work with Allen, who is more creative in his fronts and coverage schemes. I'm sure they've decided on something that, on paper at least, seems to be workable.

Nolan was the first to come to mind also...except this guy is much more expressive though they have parrallel philosophies. It takes an offense a season or two to figure out how to hit us...we don't play the afc south untill 2012 and that will keep Fox's secrets inhouse for at least a year before we play his old afc south opponents. I hope.these two can find success early. Denver fans are due for another great defense.

I give Nolan a lot of credit for disguising the blitzes you see today in the nfl...and then some. I don't see too many of our lbs fitting in to the pass coverage schemes he has run in NO. I honestly would guess the focus of the draft will be def line or off tackle followed by lb and cb spot, if we can sign a quality FA safety.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm just glad the Broncos finally got a DC. With Fox being a defensive minded HC, I'm not too worried about bringing in a big name DC. Allen appears to be an up and coming coach so if he does well he will bolt for a HC position, but that is ok with me as long as the Broncos defense is top 10 and the Broncos are competing in the playoffs...

DarkHorse30
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Actually not at all. Fox delegates. He's pretty much the polar opposite management style to McDaniels. Mind you Fox will have a heavy hand in the defense since that's his thing, but this position is hardly a token one. Allen will have play calling abilities and be key in the overall game plan whereas McCoy's role was entirely token.

Bingo....and FTR, McDaniels offense wasn't anything to write home about. I thought we actually improved when McCoy took over without the micromanager overthinking himself.

Caveat Lector
01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Pop Quiz - Who was the last DB coach to be promoted to Broncos DC? ;)

OABB
01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Pop Quiz - Who was the last DB coach to be promoted to Broncos DC? ;)

Don't say that name. No one say that name.

Taco John
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM

I don't believe that for a second. Fox isn't going to be calling the defense. He'll surely want to put his stamp on it, but I'd be willing to bet that Dennis Allen is calling the defense on game days.

Taco John
01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Oh, also, welcome back 4-3 defense.

I, for one, will look forward to seeing the four man defensive front returning. Now let's get it staffed.

StugotsIII
01-25-2011, 01:08 AM
I'd love any two of the following from our new defensive leader:

Boweres/Fairly/Hewyard/Kerrigan/Watt

All MURDERERS on the defensive line.

The MVPlaya
01-25-2011, 01:12 AM
We just cant hire anyone with a name already for themselves

Not surprising at all, no one really has a name for themselves right now other than a few positional coaches and our HC.

Not even the people working up top have a name for themselves in what they do.

SoCalBronco
01-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Not surprising at all, no one really has a name for themselves right now other than a few positional coaches and our HC.

Not even the people working up top have a name for themselves in what they do.

Eh...I suspect "established" names around the league didn't exactly think this was a great gig...for alot of reasons. I hope Allen does some good things for us, tho.

epicSocialism4tw
01-25-2011, 02:11 AM

I played soccer on that field several times.

epicSocialism4tw
01-25-2011, 02:21 AM

Thats an odd take. Its rather childish.

I seriously doubt that the Broncos sat on their thumbs waiting to see who the Eagles were interested in so they could pounce.

Instead it looks like John Fox's connections around the league paid off here. He's buddies with Saints coach Payton, who obviously gave the guy a glowing recommendation.

ZONA
01-25-2011, 02:31 AM
hopefully he teaches our secondary to become aggressive on the ball.

Yeah, we've sucked in the INT dept for years. I know a good pass rush will help that but even when we've been able to get some pressure, we just don't intercept alot of balls. Hopefully he can turn that around.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Allen? There's a chance that our defensive coordinator might be Jewish! Mazel tov!

The MVPlaya
01-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Thats an odd take. Its rather childish.

I seriously doubt that the Broncos sat on their thumbs waiting to see who the Eagles were interested in so they could pounce.

Instead it looks like John Fox's connections around the league paid off here. He's buddies with Saints coach Payton, who obviously gave the guy a glowing recommendation.

Let's be serious, considering the state of the Broncos organization... that could actually of some truth to it.

ghostofjosh
01-25-2011, 04:15 AM
The real question is who is going to replace him next year?

this made me lol

McDman
01-25-2011, 04:17 AM
He'll be gone in a year.

Our defensive coordinator position is exactly like teaching defense against the dark arts, you only last a year and you're gone. (That's for all the Harry Potter fans.)

montrose
01-25-2011, 05:20 AM

I don't believe that for a second. Fox isn't going to be calling the defense. He'll surely want to put his stamp on it, but I'd be willing to bet that Dennis Allen is calling the defense on game days.

Check your PMs

Punisher
01-25-2011, 05:24 AM
You got to be ****ing kidding me!

Punisher
01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
Well i guess John Fox is gonna be running the Defense anyway so **** it

ghwk
01-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Finally! Someone who will bring some aggression to the defense.

Hilarious! Great link, the D will step up or die. Not much middle ground here!

ghwk
01-25-2011, 05:56 AM
He's also coached DL.

If you read the wikilink he is also the first coach in the NFL that is from the Un Dead. No one else in the league has got a sombitch like that on staff. Mess up and he eats your brains for a snack!

broncogary
01-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Hey, he's an Aggie.

oubronco
01-25-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm sure it will be a hybrid as most teams run hybrids nowadays

orange skier
01-25-2011, 07:34 AM
OK.........I'm a happy boy.........this guy looks perfect to me. Now let's go get some players. I like our coaches. Xanders is the weakest link in the chain. It's nice having Elway and Fox. Things seem much more reasoned, and well thought out, as opposed to McDisaster's constant shooting from the hip.

TonyR
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm sure it will be a hybrid as most teams run hybrids nowadays

Yup, I think you're right. I posted about a week ago that I heard Mike Lombardi on a Philly sports radio show talk about the Eagles interest in Allen. He said that the Eagles were looking to run a hybrid defense and the candidates they were interested in ran that type of defense. I personally think that's the best way to go.

cmhargrove
01-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey, he's an Aggie.

He also coached at Tulsa, that will offset some Aggie-ness. Yeah Tulsa! Go new coach! Don't screw up!

I'm kind of glad this is over, let's get going.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Check your PMs

Boo....let us all know.

Pony Boy
01-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I hope the first thing he does is order Champ Baily a fruit basket.

Mile High Shack
01-25-2011, 08:24 AM
well, this puts Bowers and Fairley square within our sights for sure

Steve Sewell
01-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Who is the official OMane scapegoat for 2011 then? This guy seems to be a good pick up.

Mora was setting up nicely to fill this role for 2011 and then pulled the rug right out from under us. He unknowingly counter-trolled the Omane. Well played, Jim Mora Jr. Well played.

TonyR
01-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Check your PMs

Sharing is caring...

schaaf
01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
:thumbs:Sharing is caring...

Steve Sewell
01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Allen? There's a chance that our defensive coordinator might be Jewish! Mazel tov!

He went to Texas A&M.

TonyR
01-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Allen comes from a team that mainly uses a 4-3 defensive front, but has done what Fox looks to do with the defense: play with a hybrid defense.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/1/24/1954615/dennis-allen-broncos-defensive-coordinator-john-fox

Garcia Bronco
01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey, he's an Aggie.

I thought we were sharing things that makes him look good. That's not a feather in his cap; it's a a sure fire sign that he sucks. :)

HooptyHoops
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Allen comes from a team that mainly uses a 4-3 defensive front, but has done what Fox looks to do with the defense: play with a hybrid defense.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/1/24/1954615/dennis-allen-broncos-defensive-coordinator-john-fox

Rock on!! He's young and probably has some new idea's of his own too! Like the hire!!

Kaylore
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh, also, welcome back 4-3 defense.

I, for one, will look forward to seeing the four man defensive front returning. Now let's get it staffed.

Yeah I'm not convinced they are absolutely going back to a 4-3. Fox has experience in both.

Personally for me Bronco Ball is 3-4. Starting with the first Super Bowl team and Orange Crush going into the 90's, we had many, many good years in the 3-4. I know we won it all using a 4-3, but we weren't a defensive team then. I'd like to see us work towards a 3-4. That's where our roots are.

PRBronco
01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Who is the official OMane scapegoat for 2011 then? This guy seems to be a good pick up.

Mora was setting up nicely to fill this role for 2011 and then pulled the rug right out from under us. He unknowingly counter-trolled the Omane. Well played, Jim Mora Jr. Well played.

Hahaha. I think it's safe to assume Xanders will be blamed for absolutely everything.

Old Dude
01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
If we're going to a 4-3, the top priority has to be getting trade value for Dumervil because he'd be far less effective and vastly overpaid in that system.

So what do you guys think his value on the market would be? Taking into account he's coming off of an injury?

HooptyHoops
01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm glad we hired Allen....he is hungry for a DC position, and it could be a stepping stone to being a HC candidate.....Allen needs our D to be a top end D!

schaaf
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
If we're going to a 4-3, the top priority has to be getting trade value for Dumervil because he'd be far less effective and vastly overpaid in that system.

So what do you guys think his value on the market would be? Taking into account he's coming off of an injury?

I wouldn't consider Dumervil needing to be traded if we switch to a 4-3. He was a 4-3 End for three years before switching to OLB, and the vast majority of his sacks from 09 came while he was lined up in a 3 point stance up along the line.

Dedhed
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

facepalm!

Old Dude
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't consider Dumervil needing to be traded if we switch to a 4-3. He was a 4-3 End for three years before switching to OLB, and the vast majority of his sacks from 09 came while he was lined up in a 3 point stance up along the line.

The problem isn't the sacks. The problem is that he was too small and victimized by the opponent's running game - and he's a lot lighter now than he was then.

If Denver goes to a 4-3, he's a role player - on passing downs only.

PRBronco
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
The problem isn't the sacks. The problem is that he was too small and victimized by the opponent's running game - and he's a lot lighter now than he was then.

I'd like to see video of Doom getting victimized in the running game. I know it's popular to say because he's short, but during the the '08 season, he was not what I noticed in our abortion of a run defense. Terrible linebackers, terrible safeties, terrible tackle play, but did not notice Elvis getting steamrolled.

Dedhed
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like to see video of Doom getting victimized in the running game. I know it's popular to say because he's short, but during the the '08 season, he was not what I noticed in our abortion of a run defense. Terrible linebackers, terrible safeties, terrible tackle play, but did not notice Elvis getting steamrolled.
It is one of the more pronounced misconceptions about the Broncos defense. DJ, and the safeties make the center of our defense an absolute atrocity.

We need to either get rid of DJ, or for the love of god get him out of the middle. He has no attributes that I look for in a MLB other than his frame.

Slade
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM

While I tend to agree that Dumervil is too small for a 4-3 DE, I look at the Colts with Freeney and Mathis to tell me otherwise. Dwight Freeney is 268, while Robert Mathis is 245. At his current OLB weight of 248, Dumervil is no smaller than either of those guys, and they are studs. Its all about how he is used.

Mogulseeker
01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I read that he's been involved with both the 3-4 and 4-3.

Doesn't really matter. Secondary schemes are less a product of the system itself than just the scheme. Secondary schemes don't change that much whether in the 3-4 or the 4-3.

At least that's what I experienced in HS. My freshmen year I played in a defense that used the 3-4 and ran a lot of man cover-2. I switched schools and from sophomore year on I played in a 4-3 running the same man cover two defense.

As a free safety, my role in both defenses was pretty much the same, except I played the flat a little more in the 4-3 system - but even that was mostly as a nickle back with a 3-man front (I went from 3a to 5a, and thusly went from starter to backup).

I don't think secondary coaches make particularly good coordinators since the secondary schemes are much simpler than what the linebackers and the line sees. Still, I'm willing to give this guy a shot.

Inkana7
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think secondary coaches make particularly good coordinators since the secondary schemes are much simpler than what the linebackers and the line sees. Still, I'm willing to give this guy a shot.

Like Mike Tomlin, John Fox and Steve Spagnuolo?

PRBronco
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Dont' worry he's also been a D line coach at Atlanta and New Orleans.

Mogulseeker
01-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Like Mike Tomlin, John Fox and Steve Spagnuolo?

And Bob Slowik?

The guys you've mentioned I look at as more of football specialists as opposed to d-back specialists because they've also coached other positions (Tomlin has also been a WR coach, Spag has also been a LB coach).

I'm not sold on Fox as a coach in general, but we'll see.

In fact, I'm just impressed with Mike Tomlin all around. The second-best football mind in the NFL behind Belichick, IMO.

2KBack
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
And Bob Slowik?

The guys you've mentioned I look at as more of football specialists as opposed to d-back specialists because they've also coached other positions (Tomlin has also been a WR coach, Spag has also been a LB coach).

I'm not sold on Fox as a coach in general, but we'll see.

In fact, I'm just impressed with Mike Tomlin all around. The second-best football mind in the NFL behind Belichick, IMO.

aaaand Allen has been a D-line coach

BroncosMT
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
I am hoping we will be pleasantly surprised.....I think he deserves a shot....its hard when he have had so many DC's come through town and not produce much....its hard to be optimistic...I have a good feeling about this guy...not sure why....but I do

Mogulseeker
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
aaaand Allen has been a D-line coach

Well then, I fell a little better about that, then.

Old Dude
01-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Mediator actually had the stats at hand, which showed that runs on Doom's side averaged 4.9 yards per attempt.

And keep in mind that he lost a LOT of weight in order to play OLB.

TheReverend
01-25-2011, 11:39 AM
i don't think secondary coaches make particularly good coordinators since the secondary schemes are much simpler than what the linebackers and the line sees. still, i'm willing to give this guy a shot.

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

strafen
01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
aaaand Allen has been a D-line coachIt doesn't matter. At the end of the day is going to be all Fox.
This is going to be his defense. Allen will learn under Fox's wings.

Requiem
01-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Good hire, IMHO.

He definitely played a roll in acquiring and coaching up their great secondary.

Shoemaker
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
It doesn't matter. At the end of the day is going to be all Fox.
This is going to be his defense. Allen will learn under Fox's wings.

Fox has stated that he won't be calling the defensive plays on gameday, so Allen will be contributing more than you think.

JakeNbake
01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
:afro::sunshine:LOLHilarious!:egbgb:

listopencil
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, if we do draft Peterson, this looks like a guy that will get the most out of him.

gyldenlove
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Mediator actually had the stats at hand, which showed that runs on Doom's side averaged 4.9 yards per attempt.

And keep in mind that he lost a LOT of weight in order to play OLB.

It can work, but we need to play better at DT for it to work. The colts are good on defense with Freeney.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
He went to Texas A&M.

http://www.stanleyely.com/images-new/In-Jewish-Texas.jpg

http://www.stanleyely.com/images-new/jewish-texas-cover.jpg

http://www.stanleyely.com/images-new/TEXASCUP.jpg

peacepipe
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
While I tend to agree that Dumervil is too small for a 4-3 DE, I look at the Colts with Freeney and Mathis to tell me otherwise. Dwight Freeney is 268, while Robert Mathis is 245. At his current OLB weight of 248, Dumervil is no smaller than either of those guys, and they are studs. Its all about how he is used.Not in run defense. That defense gets plowed on a regular basis.

peacepipe
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, if we do draft Peterson, this looks like a guy that will get the most out of him.That's what I'm thinking,he makes it more likely that we draft peterson.

db56
01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Not in run defense. That defense gets plowed on a regular basis.

Yeah the Colts defense is built to play with a lead, so they can unleash their speedy, DE pass rushers.

If for some reason they dont have a lead then the LB's and Safeties (Bob Sanders)have to raise their games to help stop the run. B. Sanders is critical here because he is never out of position on run plays and rarely misses a tackle, problem is he is small and is consitently hurt...

I have no problem with going back to the 4-3 and with Doom playing DE, but we definitely need the LB's to do it.

DJ has to be moved to the outside where he can be told what his responsibilities are on every play, he just doesnt have the instincts required to play the Mike..

Bronco Yoda
01-25-2011, 10:01 PM
So guys, do we like this choice. I'll admit I know very little about this coach. What say ye all?

schaaf
01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
So guys, do we like this choice. I'll admit I know very little about this coach. What say ye all?

I really like the choice, the last couple years I have loved the Saints secondary and all the turnovers they create.

Im hoping he can recreate that here on defense.

bronco militia
01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not impressed with the defensive coaching staff

the Broncos coaching staff will now be an excellent mix of the two worst teams in 2010 (Panthers, Broncos) and the unstoppable Texans and Rams defenses from 2008.

strafen
01-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Fox has stated that he won't be calling the defensive plays on gameday, so Allen will be contributing more than you think.This is going to be Fox's defense.
Allen will run it, call the plays, but still Fox's defense no matter how you want to look at it...

UberBroncoMan
01-26-2011, 12:30 AM

the Broncos coaching staff will now be an excellent mix of the two worst teams in 2010 (Panthers, Broncos) and the unstoppable Texans and Rams defenses from 2008.

Pretty much how I feel.

Odysseus
01-26-2011, 01:01 AM

We should put Tebow on defense as a blitzing linebacker. If we are going to be silly about this sport we should at least have fun doing it.

I don't know what to make of this defense yet but I am not inspired.

footstepsfrom#27
01-26-2011, 02:35 AM
While I tend to agree that Dumervil is too small for a 4-3 DE, I look at the Colts with Freeney and Mathis to tell me otherwise. Dwight Freeney is 268, while Robert Mathis is 245. At his current OLB weight of 248, Dumervil is no smaller than either of those guys, and they are studs. Its all about how he is used.
??? 268 > 248 What?

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 03:56 AM
We should put Tebow on defense as a blitzing linebacker. If we are going to be silly about this sport we should at least have fun doing it.

I don't know what to make of this defense yet but I am not inspired.

Hey, at one point I was screaming for Kevin Vickerson at FB to open some holes for Moreno.

Ok, so I was drunk.

But it still made sense to me at the time. ROFL!

NhocCuteGirlz
01-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Breaking news: Broncos have a new d-coordinator - dennis allen. Story being posted now at foxsports.com

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/29760702705049600

Just got it confirmed from the Broncs ... Dennis Allen is the new DC. He was the DB's coach in New Orleans.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/stat...63759874510848 (https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/29763759874510848)

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 04:07 AM
I gotta get me one of these alternate accounts too. Am I the only one left here with only ONE fricken account?

Los Broncos
01-26-2011, 04:34 AM
I gotta get me one of these alternate accounts too. Am I the only one left here with only ONE fricken account?

I have 4 or 5 other accounts, get with it.

fontaine
01-26-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm going to go on record and say that if we switch to a 4-3 move then it would be just as self defeating as moving away from the ZBS because we wouldn't be doing it for the personnel but to suit a new DC.

Sorry but good coaches/assistants don't force a system onto a set of players because it suits the coaches. It's the other way around.

We go 4-3 and we don't have a single every down, impact player along the front 7, the same holes along the DL and a much slower, limited set of LBers.

With a 3-4 front we've got one player who's dominant in Dumervil and another in Ayers who's on his way with a much better set of LBers.

I understand that for the guys like Bannan, Thomas, Vickerson it's just a matter of spacing and where they line up so it's no big deal. I get that. I really do because they're average players regardless of system.

But with Doom/Ayers there's a world of difference between them lining up most of the time in a two or three point stance along with their run responsibilities.

No, after all the years of watching pitiful denver defenses, I can honestly say:

1. Screw changing front 7 schemes AGAIN.
2. Forget changing DCs again.

How about the FO/HC just go out and do what the rest of the damn league does when they have a piss poor defense? How about signing/drafting some impact players (instead of the next Vickerson, Bannan, Nate Webster etc etc)?

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 05:33 AM
What if we manage to trade down, and get a whole bunch of D picks.Quality picks. Besides Doom... I'm just about open to anything right now.

We kept Wayne Nunnely right?

chrisp
01-26-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm going to go on record and say that if we switch to a 4-3 move then it would be just as self defeating as moving away from the ZBS because we wouldn't be doing it for the personnel but to suit a new DC.

I do agree that its wrong to change just to suit the coaches, but I also think that's a little naive - people do tend to gravitate towards what they know (not that I think its a done deal we're going 4-3 mind you, just quite likely at this point).

Plus the defense is so bad that there isn't really an established 3-4 in the first place! The consistency argument would hold a little more water is we were even average on defense...

Furthermore, I question how much difference its going to make to Elvis to go back to DE - the biggest difference there will be less pass coverage i would say, which is not a bad thing for a 5'11 guy...in terms of rushing the passer I think he came up to the line and had his hand in the dirt pretty often....it certainly seems from his sack total that he flourished in the 3-4, but the only real benefit of the 3-4 is that its a little easier to disguise the pass rush, and people tend to know Elvis is coming almost every down whatever happens, so this might be a red herring...Ayers is not a true pass-rusher anyway, he's a solid run-stuffing end who will get us 5-7 sacks in a good year. However he's a former DE in college anyway, and its always possible that being a step closer to the QB coudl help him....speed was never his forte...

I wil defer to those with greater football knwoledge here (being a limery an' all...) but I always thought the biggest difference between the two in terms of style of play and gap assignments was on the d-line.

Biggest thing for me is that although we retooled the roster for 3-4 we didn't seem to get the D-line right - the only decent NT we had was too old to play every down. I also think that Marcus Thomas is much much better suited to playing a penetrating 4-3 DT than he is to a 3-4 DE (and he'll only ever be average to poor as an NT, which is why he remains our third-stringer there).

So if they do move back to a 4-3 this time I won't be up in arms, but I will hope that its the last move for a while. Even if this staff gets canned, if they can even get the defense respectable again there will be a strong argument against changing the base yet again...

Kaylore
01-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey, at one point I was screaming for Kevin Vickerson at FB to open some holes for Moreno.

Ok, so I was drunk.

But it still made sense to me at the time. ROFL!

That's awesome. I am going to compare all fullbacks to Kevin Vickerson forever now. ROFL!

Slade
01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
??? 268 > 248 What?

Dumervil is bigger than Mathis and his weight when he was a DE was bigger than Freeney

jhns
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
I have no clue who a lot of our new staff is. I just hope the personnel department is good. I don't care about good game plans and play calling as much as I want to see real talent brought to the team at this point. It would be nice to see a good defense again though.

meangene
01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
The Post noted this morning that Allen had offers from both Denver and Philly and chose Denver. For all those "no one wants to come here" posters. :approve:

Allen also interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles after meeting with Fox on Friday in Charlotte, N.C. After considering offers from the Eagles and Broncos, and talking it over with his wife, Allen said he felt the Broncos provided a "great situation" that was a "better fit."

Read more: New defensive coordinator Allen believes Broncos will improve - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17199318#ixzz1C9iGV7k0
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

2KBack
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
The Post noted this morning that Allen had offers from both Denver and Philly and chose Denver. For all those "no one wants to come here" posters. :approve:

Allen also interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles after meeting with Fox on Friday in Charlotte, N.C. After considering offers from the Eagles and Broncos, and talking it over with his wife, Allen said he felt the Broncos provided a "great situation" that was a "better fit."

Read more: New defensive coordinator Allen believes Broncos will improve - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17199318#ixzz1C9iGV7k0
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if this guy got an offer from Philly as well. For those that respect the Eagles front office, this is good news. For those that think no on wants to coach in Denver this is bad news. I am psyched to get a young respected assistant instead of a failed retread.

oubronco
01-26-2011, 09:31 AM

I'm not too enthused either but I hope they pan out is all I got

OABB
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
I have no clue who a lot of our new staff is. I just hope the personnel department is good. I don't care about good game plans and play calling as much as I want to see real talent brought to the team at this point. It would be nice to see a good defense again though.

Couldn't agree more at this point. It makes me feel dirty, but you are right.

Boomhauer
01-27-2011, 08:01 AM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches/dennis-allen/65aac488-e14f-4030-a5e9-b6eacdc207da
Entering his fifth year with the Saints, Dennis Allen begins his third season as secondary coach after serving as assistant defensive line coach during his first two years with the club. A nine-year NFL coaching veteran, Allen brings a well-rounded base of experience to his position – with an emphasis on working with defensive backs – and a strong reputation for his teaching skills.

In 2009, the Saints’ secondary overcame injuries to both starting cornerbacks that cost them much of the second half of the season, but still posted 20 interceptions and returned five of those picks for touchdowns. Defensive backs also made large contributions in the postseason, with CB Tracy Porter intercepting a pass late in the NFC Championhip game to send the game to overtime and returning an interception for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV to ice the victory.

While serving as assistant defensive line coach from 2006-07, Allen helped develop a unit that ranked as one of the strengths of the Saints’ defense. During that stretch, the defensive front combined for 48.5 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and 10 fumble recoveries and DE Will Smith was voted to the 2006 Pro Bowl.
PLAYING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1992-95.
COACHING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1996-1999; University of Tulsa, 2000-01; Atlanta Falcons, 2002-05; New Orleans Saints, 2006-.

Great signing. Allen will make a huge impact for the team. Hope Fox mostly stays out of the way and let's him build the new 4-3 defense and coverage scheme. With Nunnley and Fox helping design blitz packages, we could easily have a top-10 Defense next year.
Uptil now the Broncos coaching staff was a largely rehashed and unimpressive list of Broncos and ex-Panthers. Good to see them bring in someone familiar with sustained sucess.

oubronco
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
They don't know what defense we'll be running till they evaluate the players so to say they are definitely going to run a 4-3 is not true. I believe it will be a hybrid

"I don't look at it as a huge issue," Allen said. "Each player has a unique skill set and the challenge for a coach is to find out what those guys do well. So we're going to give them opportunities to do the things that they do well, whether it's 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, it doesn't really matter. I think our challenge is finding out what our personnel can do and highlighting those strengths."

Read more: Krieger: Denver's new DC will stop a trend - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17211136#ixzz1CFSUSpmb) http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_17211136#ixzz1CFSUSpmb

strafen
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Great signing. Allen will make a huge impact for the team. Hope Fox mostly stays out of the way and let's him build the new 4-3 defense and coverage scheme. With Nunnley and Fox helping design blitz packages, we could easily have a top-10 Defense next year.
Uptil now the Broncos coaching staff was a largely rehashed and unimpressive list of Broncos and ex-Panthers. Good to see them bring in someone familiar with sustained sucess.Remember, the guy's never been a defensive coordinator and I don't think he has the experience to build a defense.
He will be running Fox's defense. Once he understand what Fox's wants, he can then tweak a little here and there while he gains experience...

primetime714
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Sorry but good coaches/assistants don't force a system onto a set of players because it suits the coaches. It's the other way around.

We go 4-3 and we don't have a single every down, impact player along the front 7, the same holes along the DL and a much slower, limited set of LBers.

With a 3-4 front we've got one player who's dominant in Dumervil and another in Ayers who's on his way with a much better set of LBers.

I understand that for the guys like Bannan, Thomas, Vickerson it's just a matter of spacing and where they line up so it's no big deal. I get that. I really do because they're average players regardless of system.

But with Doom/Ayers there's a world of difference between them lining up most of the time in a two or three point stance along with their run responsibilities.

No, after all the years of watching pitiful denver defenses, I can honestly say:

1. Screw changing front 7 schemes AGAIN.
2. Forget changing DCs again.

How about the FO/HC just go out and do what the rest of the damn league does when they have a piss poor defense? How about signing/drafting some impact players (instead of the next Vickerson, Bannan, Nate Webster etc etc)?

Honestly I think our personnel for the most part fits better in a 4-3. Doom has his best season in 2009 working from a base 3-4, but most of his sacks were as a lineman in a 4 DL set and his strength as a player is rushing the passer. He is average at best in run and pass coverage something he would be relied on less for in a 4-3 as an RDE. Ayers is similar in that he struggled in run support from the LB position. Also his natural position coming out of college was a 4-3 LDE and he has the size to go back to that position.

As for the rest of the front 7. DJ Williams had his best season as a 4-3 WLB. A guy like Mays fits a 3-4 nicely, but even in a 3-4 he's only a 2 down LB who is very vulnerable in pass coverage. Haggan could play either scheme and probably fits well as a SLB. Jamaal Williams is a NT by trade, but is a shell of his former self. Its possible he could serve as a big run stopper in a 4-3 ala a Siragusa type, but I expect he'll likely be cut anyway as his salary is more than he deserves. Bannan I think could play in either scheme as he has the size and quickness to be either a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4.

In short the switch to the 4-3 would not diminish the talent we have and some players may actually be better suited for that defense. The good thing is I think we have a lot of players that are capable of playing in both.

On another note is it really "self defeating" for an established defensive mind like John Fox to come to a new team that had the last ranked defense and change their base defense to something that his defenses personally have had success with year in and year out? I mean you act like changing the scheme would make our defense worse. Well you can't really get worse than a last place defense. John Fox should have full authority to do whatever he thinks is best for this defense.

Its truly baffling to me how so many are clinging to the 3-4 after what happened last year. As far as I'm concerned change on the defensive side of the ball can for the most part only benefit the defense.

Mountain Bronco
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
We have no NT, and a NT is the KEY to a 3-4, so I don't get why we are better suited to a 3-4?

Evaluate the talent we have, the talent that is available and make a decision, but it sounds like a hybrid will be the call, whatever that means.

Inkana7
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Honestly I think our personnel for the most part fits better in a 4-3. Doom has his best season in 2009 working from a base 3-4, but most of his sacks were as a lineman in a 4 DL set and his strength as a player is rushing the passer. He is average at best in run and pass coverage something he would be relied on less for in a 4-3 as an RDE. Ayers is similar in that he struggled in run support from the LB position. Also his natural position coming out of college was a 4-3 LDE and he has the size to go back to that position.
lolwut. If anything, Ayers was the only LB who actually could defend the run this year (preinjury).

schaaf
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah Ayers was probably our best run defender this past season.

footstepsfrom#27
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Think of it this way, any influence not of this origin, is probably an improvement no matter how bad it is.

That said, Fox has had a good rep up till this last debacle. Hopefully the change in scenery does him good.