PDA

View Full Version : 1991 AFC Championship game

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
So those of you revelling in Cutler not finishing the NFC Championship game with a torn MCL how did you feel about Elway leaving the 1991 AFC Championship game vs the Bills with Turf toe in a very close game with the SB on the line?

Elway was 11 for 21 121 yards no TD's and an INT (pick 6).

Kubes came in and went 11 for 12 and 136 yards and a rushing TD.

Maybe John should have shot up his foot and finished the game despite his pick 6?

I think Tebow would be able to quote the bible about those judging others should look to their own past before throwing stones.

I don't think any Bronco fan worth his salt can point a finger at duh bears and Cutler and laugh after living through the 1991 AFC Championship game.

denver CHIEFS FAN SLAYER
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
i thought it was a charley horse?

BroncosMT
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
So those of you revelling in Cutler not finishing the NFC Championship game with a torn MCL how did you feel about Elway leaving the 1991 AFC Championship game vs the Bills with Turf toe in a very close game with the SB on the line?

Maybe John should have shot up his foot and finished the game despite his pick 6?

I think Tebow would be able to quote the bible about those judging others should look to their own past before throwing stones.

I don't think any Bronco fan worth his salt can point a finger at duh bears and Cutler and laugh after living through the 1991 AFC Championship game.

I thought the only thing Cutler had that was similar or better than Elway was his arm....according to Jay....Hilarious! wow comparing Cutler to Elway again???

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I thought the only thing Cutler had that was similar or better than Elway was his arm....according to Jay....Hilarious! wow comparing Cutler to Elway again???

I am just wondering how all the Bronco fans (over 25 years old) felt about Elway not finishing a close game with the SB on the line?

It would take John another 6 years to get his ring and cement his place in Canton but in 1991 he couldn't finish the AFC Championship game either, due to turf toe of all things.

Rohirrim
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
That's between Cutler and Bears fan. We're Broncos fans. So we get to make fun of Cutler all we want.

bendog
01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting thread to me in that when I was watching Lambchop on the sideline yesterday, I figured he'd popped a ligament somewhere, but he didn't have the ACL despair, so I figured he had an mcl and prolly some cartiledge damage that'll get scoped. But I remembered the game at MH with the Patsies before the drive game, and Elway had a guy cave in his bad leg and limped off. It looked awful when it happened, and I really felt like puking cause it could have been a Carson Palmer kind of thing. It turned out that he just had a really bad ankle sprain. I guess his knee brace protected him. The wrapped him (and I assume shot him up) and he came back to play.

I remember the turf toe game. It was a bummer. It's not like Lambchop is a pussy and Elway the Duke. But Lambchop gets dissed because he treats the media with scorn. Espn talking heads are really no different than McMahon and pro wrestlign. There has to be a villan and a hero for casual fans. They are rehabiliting Vick's image now, and even Rapesburger is talking humble. Lambchop's sort of his own worst enemy.

Peoples Champ
01-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Ya but Elway was hurt on the sideline pumping up and motivating his team. he was giving Kubes pointers in how to Win. Cutler was crying and pouting on the bench, not saying one thing to any of his teamates. He isolated himself from the team and did not try to lead his team from the sidelines.

denver CHIEFS FAN SLAYER
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BM8jUrQ5txU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Popps
Another great thread, Steven.

Let's compare Jay Cutler to John Elway.

I mean, they live in the same universe, right?

Great work!

Archer81
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Probably because by 1991 the Drive and the Drive II had happened and by 1991 people in Denver were pretty damn aware of how tough Elway was. He had playoff success (to a point at that point, anyway).

:Broncos:

bronco militia
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I thought "****!! he really must be hurt if he's not going back in the game!!!"

Blart
01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
If I recall, that was all Dan Reeves. Looking back, the "turf toe" was an excuse to pull Elway out of that game.

Months later, Reeves showed his trust in Elway by drafting Maddox.

Popps
01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Probably because by 1991 the Drive and the Drive II had happened and by 1991 people in Denver were pretty damn aware of how tough Elway was. He had playoff success (to a point at that point, anyway).

The Cutler infatuation from Broncos fans just amazes me. I'm not sure if it's just displaced emotion, or a need to be right. But, there's a mountain of evidence for people to draw from... and instead, you're seeing people tear down Broncos legends like Elway to support their infatuation with an ex-player that never did anything for us, and gave us the finger on the way out.

This truly is the football version of the Stockholm Syndrome.

BigPlayShay
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
It was a deep thigh bruise, and he played almost an entire quarter on it before being pulled. Furthermore, I highly doubt that Elway didn't engage Kubiak, or try to help him out in any way.

Cutler is getting dogged because of the reputation that he has built out of being a little bitch.

oubronco
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Great work!

Injuries are injuries

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Great work!

It is hard to pile on Cutler right now when the same thing happened to this franchise.

We didn't know it would take Elway another 6 years to get back on top and win. We don't know what Cutler is going to do in his future either.

I was more reminding the Bronco fanbase about our own history and that we shouldn't be casting stones at Cutler or duh bears without remembering what happened in our past.

Archer81
The Cutler infatuation from Broncos fans just amazes me. I'm not sure if it's just displaced emotion, or a need to be right. But, there's a mountain of evidence for people to draw from... and instead, you're seeing people tear down Broncos legends like Elway to support their infatuation with an ex-player that never did anything for us, and gave us the finger on the way out.

Agreed. He's gone, never coming back and thank Tebow for that. He is a physically talented headcase. Chicago can have him.

Peoples Champ

Your acting like its only broncos fans calling out Jay Cutler. its not, its everyone.

I have heard Antonio Pierce, Derrick Brooks, Mourice Jones Drew, Deon Sanders, many ESPN people.

Its not just us, everyone is calling him out, and most people are calling out his body language, not the fact that he was injured.

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Your acting like its only broncos fans calling out Jay Cutler. its not, its everyone.

I have heard Antonio Pierce, Derrick Brooks, Mourice Jones Drew, Deon Sanders, many ESPN people.

Its not just us, everyone is calling him out, and most people are calling out his body language, not the fact that he was injured.

You know that this was directed at this board.

Funny but no one has replied about how they felt when John had to leave the game because of his turf toe.

Mile High Shack
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Elway was a winner and his toughness had already been proven

you are trying to compare a Lamborghini with a Fiat and saying...well they are both cars

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I thought "****!! he really must be hurt if he's not going back in the game!!!"

Me to, I thought the same thing yesterday.

BroncoSojia
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
The McDaniels infatuation from Broncos fans just amazes me. I'm not sure if it's just displaced emotion, or a need to be right. But, there's a mountain of evidence for people to draw from... and instead, you're seeing people tear down Broncos legends like Shanahan to support their infatuation with an ex-coach that never did anything for us, and gave us the finger on the way out.

This is eerily similar to how I feel about Bronco fans and the McD situation.

bronco militia
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Me to, I thought the same thing yesterday.

I wondered if his insulin pump had froze during the game. he was terrible before the injury

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

you are trying to compare a Lamborghini with a Fiat and saying...well they are both cars

I am not comparing Cutler to Elway, I am comparing an APPLES TO APPLES comparison Championship game, team loses 1st string QB on injury BU lights it up but falls short.

I remember reading a lot back then about the fans souring on both Elway and Reeves. There were a lot of fans back then who wanted John gone.

Peoples Champ
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Funny but no one has replied about how they felt when John had to leave the game because of his turf toe.

Thats probably because most people in the internet and blogs are pretty young, and werent alive then or too young to remember, I was only 6

Mile High Shack
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I am not comparing Cutler to Elway, I am comparing an APPLES TO APPLES comparison Championship game, team loses 1st string QB on injury BU lights it up but falls short.

I remember reading a lot back then about the fans souring on both Elway and Reeves. There were a lot of fans back then who wanted John gone.

you aren't....you have to take the players past performances to question someones toughness. Elway at that point had a lot of history on his side and played his entire career with no ACL in one knee. WTF has Cutler done? Nothing, this was his first winning season since his senior year in HS

so no...it isn't apples to apples

I guess it is in the sense that they are both apples, just one is freshly picked, shiny and tastes good, the other one is a wormy POS that is on the ground rotting

Peoples Champ
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

yup

Peoples Champ
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM

But its not the injury that bugs me, its the fact that he sat in silence, didnt give any motivation to the team at all , or didnt try to give tips or advise or help out the backup qbs at all, it looked like he didnt want to help his team get to the superbowl, even from the sidelines.

WolfpackGuy
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
*uckin David Treadwell!

bendog
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
you aren't....you have to take the players past performances to question someones toughness. Elway at that point had a lot of history on his side and played his entire career with no ACL in one knee. WTF has Cutler done? Nothing, this was his first winning season since his senior year in HS

so no...it isn't apples to apples

I guess it is in the sense that they are both apples, just one is freshly picked, shiny and tastes good, the other one is a wormy POS that is on the ground rotting

nah, it's apples to apples. Lovie says the staff sat Cutler. He tried to go, but didn't have stability. No stability, no play. Sure, give it a couple of weeks and get a brace fitted, maybe stability isn't an issue. But to think a guy can play with an unstable joint that hasn't been properly fitted to prevent further injury just shows you never played. It's not the injury it's the questioning. Cutler treats the media with destain and doesn't care about the fans. He's made his own bed.

I agree that he could have been a bit more interested in helping and cheering though. He's a "sourpuss."

jsco70
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM

I'll play.

I didn't think for one second that Elway was dogging it or had given up on his team. The reason for this was simple...the guy had, specifically in regard to offense, single handedly willed the team to numerous playoff victories and three super bowls. Not to mention the fact he rarely missed a game in that timespan despite getting regularly desgtroyed while either scrambling or by getting sacked. His toughness, dedication to team and will to win were unquestioned.

Furthermore, I thought anyone advocating the Broncos get rid of him was a complete moron, and I was glad when Reeves was fired. Especially after drafting Maddox.

John Elway had/has credibility. Jay Culter has zero credibility. The only apples to apples is they were both hurt in a playoff game.

What's your take, since you're the one asking?

denver CHIEFS FAN SLAYER
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
*uckin David Treadwell!

i hated him then, but it's hard to hold a grudge when treadwell has been one of the most active alumni around denver

Jason in LA
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Talk about a bad memory. After that game ended I went into the back yard and stared at the sky for like an hour. Damn, did Steve Sewell really fumble at like the Buffalo 40 in OT?!?! Yikes! That game was damn near a wrap!

As for the observation, that's a good point. Elway left with the game on the line, after playing poorly. I couldn't believe I saw that shovel pass get picked off and taken back for a touchdown. That's the difference in the game.

But there were no social networks, the internet wasn't in use, and Elway had already been to three Super Bowls and the week before he was on the two yard line with no timeouts and only 2 minutes to play and he drove the field for the game winning FG. If they had needed a TD he would have gotten that. If I'm remembering right, they drove down to the 15 yard line and then ran out the clock before kicking the FG.

So Elway had a boat load of clutch moments, which Culter doesn't.

MplsBronco
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
My memory is shot since my Haight Ashbury days (I'm only 38) and I honestly don't remember Elway leaving that game.

I only remember Sewell's fumble.

Very interesting contrast.

All I can say is I do hate Cutler. I can admit it. He dissed my beloved team. I thought he could end up being one of the greatest while he was with us. I wish him ill-will. Yesterday made me happy.

bendog
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I'll play.

I didn't think for one second that Elway was dogging it or had given up on his team. The reason for this was simple...the guy had, specifically in regard to offense, single handedly willed the team to numerous playoff victories and three super bowls. Not to mention the fact he rarely missed a game in that timespan despite getting regularly desgtroyed while either scrambling or by getting sacked. His toughness, dedication to team and will to win were unquestioned.

Furthermore, I thought anyone advocating the Broncos get rid of him was a complete moron, and I was glad when Reeves was fired. Especially after drafting Maddox.

John Elway had/has credibility. Jay Culter has zero credibility. The only apples to apples is they were both hurt in a playoff game.

What's your take, since you're the one asking?

I think that's his pt. "John Elway had/has credibility. Jay Culter has zero credibility. The only apples to apples is they were both hurt in a playoff game."

Cutlers' been a dick at every opportunity, but it's beyond any sense of rationality to question the guy's football toughness when he played through diabetes and was the most sacked qb in the league this year. Elway was gracious with the media, and pretty much a class act. Nobody will question Elway, but they'll question Lambchop even when his own coaches and teammates say its unfair. He's a dick. ef him. But the posters thinking they've got something about Lambchop being a quitter are just bucking up their own self esteem about defending the trade ... and drafts.

Blart
01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Sewell was my mom's favorite player, and for that to be his last NFL play really hurt.

Mile High Shack
01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Talk about a bad memory. After that game ended I went into the back yard and stared at the sky for like an hour. Damn, did Steve Sewell really fumble at like the Buffalo 40 in OT?!?! Yikes! That game was damn near a wrap!

As for the observation, that's a good point. Elway left with the game on the line, after playing poorly. I couldn't believe I saw that shovel pass get picked off and taken back for a touchdown. That's the difference in the game.

But there were no social networks, the internet wasn't in use, and Elway had already been to three Super Bowls and the week before he was on the two yard line with no timeouts and only 2 minutes to play and he drove the field for the game winning FG. If they had needed a TD he would have gotten that. If I'm remembering right, they drove down to the 15 yard line and then ran out the clock before kicking the FG.

So Elway had a boat load of clutch moments, which Culter doesn't.

in the end, we would have gotten smoked by the Redskins anyway...so, I guess it was a good thing to not have another superbowl beat down

Popps
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I am not comparing Cutler to Elway, I am comparing an APPLES TO APPLES comparison Championship game.

I hope you're joking, or just trying to rile people up.

You can't POSSIBLY believe comparing Cutler and his past to where Elway was at that time is an "apples to apples" comparison.

Cutler isn't getting the benefit of the doubt for a reason.

Elway had proven his grit.

Two COMPLETELY different situations.

Even their arrival in those games was drastically different.

It's a horrible comparison.

bendog
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM

You can't POSSIBLY believe comparing Cutler and his past to where Elway was at that time is an "apples to apples" comparison.

Anything other than Josh was great and Jay was bad is horrible to you

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Elway was getting **** from Bronco fans at the time, a lot of fans like me hated the Maddox pick but there were a lot of fans who never thought John was never going to be able to win a SB and wanted him gone so it is really pretty even.

Sure Elway had to make a great comeback to get to the Buff game and Cutler blew out the worst playoff team ever to advance but the fact is that both had injuries and were sat in games with the SB on the line. I think had both the 1991 Broncos and 2010 Bears advanced both teams would have been destroyed in the SB.

For players and fans to guess the extent of the guys injury because he is not being physically restrained to be kept off the field is weak.

I am glad he his gone and hope Tebow is the answer but to jump on guy because of "body language" is weak.

orangeatheist
01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
All I can say is I do hate Cutler. I can admit it. He dissed my beloved team. I thought he could end up being one of the greatest while he was with us. I wish him ill-will. Yesterday made me happy.

This

bendog
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Bad karma. I can understand vick and rapesburger who arguably weren't punished sufficiently for anti-social behavor that caused other living organisms pain/death.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schadenfreude

He's a jerk though.

Popps
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
to jump on guy because of "body language" is weak.

Well, I've been questioning him since he arrived in Denver, and as time went on... it's been painfully obvious to me that he's not a winner. So, I'm not questioning him because of his "body language." I'm questioning him because of the mountain of evidence that shows us he's never been a winner.

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, I've been questioning him since he arrived in Denver, and as time went on... it's been painfully obvious to me that he's not a winner. So, I'm not questioning him because of his "body language." I'm questioning him because of the mountain of evidence that shows us he's never been a winner.

and my point was that if you took a time machine trip back to 1/13/1992 you would not find a Bronco fan base that loved their QB unconditionally.

You have to remember that there were a lot of Bronco fans as well as people like Bradshaw who were very critical of Elway and never thought he had enough to win a SB.

John played tough and acted tough that day but there were a lot of people in 1992 who just didn't think he could get it done.

Cutler has image problems and needs to learn how to not disappear in big games, what is not to say he wasn't pissed about the situation and no being alowed to finish the game? I thought both Tommy and Dilhole had great points on NFL live today it can go either way for the kid.

Elway was at the same crossroad in 1992, he was able to get a good coach at the end of his career to build a team around him that was able to win the SB, not just get there.

Who knows it might take Cutler 12 more years before he gets a SB or he could be out of football in a year or 2 it is up to him.

I am just glad it is no longer our problem. Just don't knock a player who is hurt for not being told by the coaches he is not going to be able to finish the game. Knock him for being high on the throw to Hester on 3rd down or for trying to make something happen with seconds left in the half and throwing a bad int.

phillybroncosnut
01-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Bada bing bada bam!!!

Abqbronco
01-24-2011, 04:38 PM

I felt a sense of relief. I couldn't take another blow out. Looking back that was not right. Can't win if your not there

Popps
01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Anything other than Josh was great and Jay was bad is horrible to you

Josh was "great?" Never said that. Was I willing to give him a fair chance? Sure.

Jay was "bad?" Well, he's an underachiever. He's never been a winner. He's got physical talents but seems to be a complete head-case.

So, your'e off-base, but that's not surprising.

Popps
01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=broncosteven;3100269
I am just glad it is no longer our problem. Just don't knock a player who is hurt for not being told by the coaches he is not going to be able to finish the game. Knock him for being high on the throw to Hester on 3rd down or for trying to make something happen with seconds left in the half and throwing a bad int.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I've been saying he's had mechanical flaws since his second season in Denver. You don't need to sell me on the notion that he's got flaws in his game.

As for him being hurt, the real issue is not whether or not he was or wasn't... it's why is everyone having such a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt? Very easy... he's set the bar low for himself. He's got a reputation for being a punk and lacking leadership, and yesterday just looked like more of that. Is it unfair? Who knows, but he's only got himself to blame.

ghostofjosh
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Hilarious!are you serious??Elway had been to 3 superbowls by then been a league mvp,cutler is a notorious whiner,sulker,never won anything and youre comparing Elway to Cutler...LMAO

enjolras
01-24-2011, 05:02 PM
First of all:

I still haven't forgiven Steve Sewell or Treadwell for that game. I was living in Europe at the time and I remember huddling around a microscopic TV with a terrible picture to watch that game. Those last two minutes were so exciting. Kubiaks score and then the onside kick.

Then Sewell happened. Of course it only mattered because of David f***ing Treadwell.

*sighs*

Second:

The difference is in what happened when they went off. Elway (after suffering a deep thigh bruise) not only played for most of the game, but as I recall continued to lead from the sidelines after the thing locked up to the point he couldn't walk. As I recall he was still trying to lead from the sideline... you could tell it was killing him.

Lamb chop (I like that:) ) just frowned a lot and sort of looked disinterested.

spdirty
01-24-2011, 05:11 PM
I remember burning my David Treadwell jersey after that game.

BroncoLifer
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Add to all of this that Elway limped through the '86 AFCCG (The Drive) on a bad ankle he hurt the week before against the Patriots. So he had an established history of playing hurt in the playoffs.

spdirty
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Also remember my old man openly rooting for the Bills in that game because he did not want to watch us get blown out in another Super Bowl.

I also remember a little bit of that mentality in '97.

Garcia Bronco
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I am just wondering how all the Bronco fans (over 25 years old) felt about Elway not finishing a close game with the SB on the line?

It would take John another 6 years to get his ring and cement his place in Canton but in 1991 he couldn't finish the AFC Championship game either, due to turf toe of all things.

Elway had already had the Drive and won big games in the playoffs with all kinds of comebacks. Cutler doesn't have that and hes done this before.

OABB
01-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Also elway was a good qb and cutler sucks.

ShutDownPoster
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Also remember my old man openly rooting for the Bills in that game because he did not want to watch us get blown out in another Super Bowl.

I also remember a little bit of that mentality in '97.

We would have been demolished by the Redskins - they had one of the most balanced teams I have ever seen.

spdirty
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
We would have been demolished by the Redskins - they had one of the most balanced teams I have ever seen.

The Redskins dominated the league that year no doubt...but look at this roster of starters.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1991_roster.htm

Charles Mann, Darrell Green, Art Monk, Matt Millen, Ernest Byner, Mark Schlereth. Other than that, pretty underwhelming.

Then 3 years prior they were 7-9, 2 years and 1 year prior 10-6, 1 year after 9-7, then the year after that the wheels fell off and they went 4-12. Just a 1 year wonder where everything went right for them and Gibbs did his last great coaching job.

spdirty
01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
BTW, I'm not making the case that we would have beaten them. It probably would have been ugly. Just pointing out how much of a 1 year wonder the Skins were that year.

Orange4Life
01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
That game was terrible. It caused me great pain. All I really remember about the game is Sewell's fumble.

If we are going to compare performances in AFC Championship games I prefer Jake to cutler. I think cutler did even worse than Jake did. For the sake of argument they were equally as bad. This one performance caused Shanny to put Jake out to pasture. I thought the whole reason for drafting cutler was to get a QB that could perform on the big stage.... Injury or no injury it looks like cutler wasn't the answer. Shanny should of drafted defense.

There I said it

broncosteven
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
BTW, I'm not making the case that we would have beaten them. It probably would have been ugly. Just pointing out how much of a 1 year wonder the Skins were that year.

Mark Rypen could not throw an incompletion that whole season. It seemed that every pass he threw was right where it needed to be all freaking year long and if it was incomplete it was because the receiver dropped it.

The funny/sad part was that the next year he returned to an avg/below avg QB for the rest of his career.

vancejohnson82
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Mark Rypen could not throw an incompletion that whole season. It seemed that every pass he threw was right where it needed to be all freaking year long and if it was incomplete it was because the receiver dropped it.

The funny/sad part was that the next year he returned to an avg/below avg QB for the rest of his career.

if I remember correctly didnt they open up their offense big time that year?

SoCalBronco
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I was in the 6th grade. This was like maybe a couple weeks after the time I first discovered what the Broncos were (just a few weeks earlier, 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Eldred, gave out 3 NFL pencils to the 3 kids who helped after class, I picked the Bronco pencil because I thought the logo looked alot cooler than the Jets one or the Raiders one....and thus that was my team). A kid named Jason Kolb asked me prolly right after the AFC Title Game who I was going for in the Super Bowl:

Me: "Denver".

Him: "But....they're eliminated."

Me: "Oh..."

True story.

Jason in LA
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I was in the 6th grade. This was like maybe a couple weeks after the time I first discovered what the Broncos were (just a few weeks earlier, 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Eldred, gave out 3 NFL pencils to the 3 kids who helped after class, I picked the Bronco pencil because I thought the logo looked alot cooler than the Jets one or the Raiders one....and thus that was my team). A kid named Jason Kolb asked me prolly right after the AFC Title Game who I was going for in the Super Bowl:

Me: "Denver".

Him: "But....they're eliminated."

Me: "Oh..."

True story.

My story is along those same lines. 1987, I was ten and my father took me to a Raiders game. He had season tickets. I started watching football when I was 7, and everybody loved the Raiders. But I just didn't like them as much as everybody else. So while I was at the Raiders game with my father, I just said that I was going to root for the other team. It was the Broncos. The rest is history.

wandlc
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Ya but Elway was hurt on the sideline pumping up and motivating his team. he was giving Kubes pointers in how to Win. Cutler was crying and pouting on the bench, not saying one thing to any of his teamates. He isolated himself from the team and did not try to lead his team from the sidelines.

Not according to Hanie. But I defer to your all knowing presence on the Bear sideline.

WolfpackGuy
01-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Ha, Mark *uckin Rypien and The Posse!

Yeah, the Skins were tough that year, and the last team to lose a game.

No way that roster would've fit under the salary cap had they had one back then though.

I think the Broncos would've put up a better fight than the Bills had they advanced with a recovered Elway.

Denver pretty much gave the Skins the template for stopping the Bills offense.