PDA

View Full Version : Did Bowlen and McDaniels make the right call in trading Jay Cutler?

The MVPlaya
01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
There are now reports that Cutler demanded a trade the day McDaniels was hired... McDaniels did his best to work out.

Enough was enough when Jay disrespected the owner.

Did Bowlen and McDaniels make the right call?

Elway 4 Life
01-24-2011, 06:36 AM
When the going gets tough Cutler folds like a lawn chair!

go_broncos
01-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Cutler is not mentally tough. Mcd made the right call.

Ratboy
01-24-2011, 07:00 AM
You have to start evaluating performance of the players we received in the trade. The right call is a call that should/would have made this franchise better. If those players start to perform and help us get to the playoffs, it may have been the right call.

Right now, it's too hard to tell.

I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler on this website.

The MVPlaya
01-24-2011, 07:05 AM
I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler from all football fans across the USA.

Jesterhole
01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Given what we did with the compensation, and the lack of attention our defense got do to the fallout of said trade, hell no.

The MVPlaya
01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Given what we did with the compensation, and the lack of attention our defense got do to the fallout of said trade, hell no.

Because we're talking about the action of trading... the compensation would be completely irrelevant. Then you go onto what we did those draft picks, which is even MORE irrelevant to the question.

We got Orton, and NFL starting QB, and 2 1st round picks which eventually contributed to Tim Tebow.

Let's be serious here, do you think the Bears could get the same compensation McDaniels did for Cutler?

alkemical
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't "hate" Cutler, I just think it was the right move. I think McD knew what sort of mentality it took to win big games.

He knew he could get Orton and have the same results, and plan for the future.

Drek
01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Of course.

Can a QB win you a super bowl? No? Then why settle on him unless your D, STs, and running game are good enough to carry him there?

None of those aspects are true about the Denver Broncos and haven't been since, well, ever. This is a QB led franchise historically. So you don't settle for the Cutlers, Ortons, Grieses, Plummers, etc..

This is why we need to show commitment to defense, so that we no longer live and die by the guy under center every year. But while we're fixing the D we'd be well served to keep searching for a true franchise QB while we're at it. Never know when one will show up. Peyton Manning went #1 overall. Aaron Rodgers went #26. Drew Brees went at the start of the 2nd and was signed in free agency by New Orleans. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

Now we've got Tebow and we can see what he's got. So far I like what I've seen from him more than any QB the last 10 years.

bronco militia
01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
at the time trade, no way.

but hind sight is always 20/20

Drek
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
at the time trade, no way.

but hind sight is always 20/20

Funny. I haven't changed my stance on it from when it first happened.

Hell, my stance on Cutler hasn't changed since the end of the '08 season before Shanahan was even fired.

baja
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
You have to start evaluating performance of the players we received in the trade. The right call is a call that should/would have made this franchise better. If those players start to perform and help us get to the playoffs, it may have been the right call.

Right now, it's too hard to tell.

<b>I do believe the voting is going to be lopsided due to the hatred for Jay Cutler on this website.

And that 'hate' just came out of thin air. It's just not fair. What did Jay ever do to deserve the nation wide dislike of him. All he did was get his team in the playoffs and get injured trying to win a game for them. Right?

baja
01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Because we're talking about the action of trading... the compensation would be completely irrelevant. Then you go onto what we did those draft picks, which is even MORE irrelevant to the question.

We got Orton, and NFL starting QB, and 2 1st round picks which eventually contributed to Tim Tebow.

<b>Let's be serious here, do you think the Bears could get the same compensation McDaniels did for Cutler?

That's a great question and should have it's own thread.

The answer to that will tell you much.

ColoradoDarin
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Funny. I haven't changed my stance on it from when it first happened.

Hell, my stance on Cutler hasn't changed since the end of the '08 season before Shanahan was even fired.

Me too. I tried to get aboard since he was our QB - I have that tendency, being a fan and all, but I hated the draft pick (I wanted Ngata and I'm a Plummer fan), hated his attitude and was glad when he was shipped out.

Ratboy
01-24-2011, 08:42 AM
And that 'hate' just came out of thin air. It's just not fair. What did Jay ever do to deserve the nation wide dislike of him. All he did was get his team in the playoffs and get injured trying to win a game for them. Right?

Blame McDaniels, you know the coach who got canned before finishing his second season.

He is the one who everyone should be pissed at.

Turning us into a joke.

Drek
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Me too. I tried to get aboard since he was our QB - I have that tendency, being a fan and all, but I hated the draft pick (I wanted Ngata and I'm a Plummer fan), hated his attitude and was glad when he was shipped out.

Sure. I was pumped myself but after 37 games of seeing him mentally shut it down in big games and watching rookies like Ryan and Flacco come in that year and step their games up to make playoff pushes with their new teams its pretty hard to stay on that bandwagon.

oubronco
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was pissed we didn't take Ngata

Ratboy
01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Sure. I was pumped myself but after 37 games of seeing him mentally shut it down in big games and watching rookies like Ryan and Flacco come in that year and step their games up to make playoff pushes with their new teams its pretty hard to stay on that bandwagon.

The knock on Matt Ryan is that he cannot win/perform in those big games..

fontaine
01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Of course.

Can a QB win you a super bowl? No? Then why settle on him unless your D, STs, and running game are good enough to carry him there?

None of those aspects are true about the Denver Broncos and haven't been since, well, ever. This is a QB led franchise historically. So you don't settle for the Cutlers, Ortons, Grieses, Plummers, etc..

This is why we need to show commitment to defense, so that we no longer live and die by the guy under center every year. But while we're fixing the D we'd be well served to keep searching for a true franchise QB while we're at it. Never know when one will show up. Peyton Manning went #1 overall. Aaron Rodgers went #26. Drew Brees went at the start of the 2nd and was signed in free agency by New Orleans. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

Now we've got Tebow and we can see what he's got. So far I like what I've seen from him more than any QB the last 10 years.

I'm curious, what exactly have you seen to make you say that?

Drek
01-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was pissed we didn't take Ngata

Single biggest draft mistake Shanahan made.

Everyone loves the "ED REED!" revisionist bull****. But we went to the AFCCG with Plummer and a rag tag DL that Coyer was coaching out of their minds. We had all the firepower needed to get Ngata and finally put a young, powerful gap filler in there who would make all the rest of our DL play better and save wear and tear on our LBs. Instead Shanahan needed a new QB, a new TE, etc..

People bitch about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

Yet McDaniels destroyed the team, not the previous HC who left the cupboards bare on his way out.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Everyone loves the "ED REED!" revisionist bull****. But we went to the AFCCG with Plummer and a rag tag DL that Coyer was coaching out of their minds. We had all the firepower needed to get Ngata and finally put a young, powerful gap filler in there who would make all the rest of our DL play better and save wear and tear on our LBs. Instead Shanahan needed a new QB, a new TE, etc..

People b**** about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

Yet McDaniels destroyed the team, not the previous HC who left the cupboards bare on his way out.

Mike Shanahan the GM again screwing Mike Shanahan the coach. It's amazing the coach lasted as long as he did...

Drek
01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
The knock on Matt Ryan is that he cannot win/perform in those big games..

Ryan continually steps up and makes the plays needed to get his team over the hump in late season games to push for the playoffs. His biggest problem isn't his big game play, its that he's not that great of a QB and gets exposed by playoff quality defenses. Same thing with Joe Flacco. But both led their teams to wins down the stretch.

I'm curious, what exactly have you seen to make you say that?

How he rallied the team back against Houston and how he kept the entire offense fighting every series against Oakland and San Diego, two teams that smoke showed us earlier in the year, and putting us in position to win each game if the defense makes any timely stops.

He did the same in college. When a play breaks down guys like Orton, Cutler, etc. are highly prone to making mistakes. When a play breaks down around Tebow he makes things happen. It keeps his entire offense fired up and focused on the play at hand because you never know when Tebow is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat and make you the beneficiary of something special.

Tim Tebow is basically the more athletic, Christian, non-rapist version of Ben Rapistburger. Better deep ball, not as accurate in short range, few differences like that. But the way we saw Rapistburger keeping plays alive against a great Jets D is the same kind of thing Tebow as doing against Houston, Oakland, and SD, and the same kinds of plays he made against high level collegiate competition.

oubronco
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM

People b**** about McDaniels not drafting front seven. In two years he took one front seven player. In over a decade here Shanahan took two.

I totally agree they have ignored the D-line for far too long and now we have a good opportunity to build this defense the right way (Front to back) and I think Fox is the right coach to do it

Popps
01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Say what you want about Orton, but he's played through significant injuries for his team.

The Bears would have had a better chance of winning yesterday with him behind center.

Instead, they traded two #1's and Orton... and you saw the result.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Say what you want about Orton, but he's played through significant injuries for his team.

The Bears would have had a better chance of winning yesterday with him behind center.

Oh, the irony... if dabears just would have stuck it out with Orton, they may very well be in the SB. I know Orton has some serious limitations, but toughness is not one of them.

I wonder if dabears would give us their second round pick for Orton... :egbgb:

go_broncos
01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
why are you giving credit to Bowlen?
I was told that all the decisions were taken by Mcd.
I give credit only to Mcd.

Old Dude
01-24-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm going with option (c): "What difference does it make?"

It's a done deal and Cutler is long gone. The guy who traded him is gone as well. Time to move on.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
How he rallied the team back against Houston and how he kept the entire offense fighting every series against Oakland and San Diego, two teams that smoke showed us earlier in the year, and putting us in position to win each game if the defense makes any timely stops.

He did the same in college. When a play breaks down guys like Orton, Cutler, etc. are highly prone to making mistakes. When a play breaks down around Tebow he makes things happen. It keeps his entire offense fired up and focused on the play at hand because you never know when Tebow is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat and make you the beneficiary of something special.

Tim Tebow is basically the more athletic, Christian, non-rapist version of Ben Rapistburger. Better deep ball, not as accurate in short range, few differences like that. But the way we saw Rapistburger keeping plays alive against a great Jets D is the same kind of thing Tebow as doing against Houston, Oakland, and SD, and the same kinds of plays he made against high level collegiate competition.

Really love your posts Drek, but I gotta disagree on Tebow being like Big Rapist. If you look at their scouting reports coming out of college, you see almost no similarities in their style, nor there abilities to transition into the NFL.

Please note one of Big Ben's scouting reports:

The Good: Big armed pocket passer with the abilities to make plays in or out of the pocket. Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.

The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.

The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for
__________________________________________________ _______________

Anyone who says Tebow is like Rapist is simply stupid (sorry Drek).

Im making this statement and I'm making it right here, right now. If you wanna compare Tebow to any QB in the NFL the last 30 years, his style most closely resmembles one

Doug Flutie

Get used to it people.

Steve Sewell
01-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Really love your posts Drek, but I gotta disagree on Tebow being like Big Rapist. If you look at their scouting reports coming out of college, you see almost no similarities in their style, nor there abilities to transition into the NFL.

The Good: Big armed pocket passer with the abilities to make plays in or out of the pocket. Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.

The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.

The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for

Anyone who says Tebow is like Rapist is simply stupid (sorry Drek).

Im making this statement and I'm making it right here, right now. If you wanna compare Tebow to any QB in the NFL the last 30 years, his style most closely resmembles one

Doug Flutie

Get used to it people.

I'll take a 6'3" 245 lb version of Doug Flutie any day of the week.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I'll take a 6'3" 245 lb version of Doug Flutie any day of the week.

Exactly my friend, exactly.

Paladin
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I voted yes because it would have been fun to see the meltdown around here when Quitler did hisw "thing" in Denver. The "Cuddly Bears" would have been hilarious, and the haters would have been phenonmenal. Alas! Bowlen opted out of that circus......

jhns
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
This team now has its first ever pick in the top two spots of an NFL draft. Nothing McDaniels did was the right move. The guy currently in charge said it was a bad move. I agree with Elway.

colonelbeef
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
2010 Denver Broncos- 4-12, last place in the AFC West

McDaniels- fired

Orton- benched

Trade- failure

Shoemaker
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
This team now has its first ever pick in the top two spots of an NFL draft. Nothing McDaniels did was the right move. The guy currently in charge said it was a bad move. I agree with Elway.

Man, I'm glad I didn't bet HAT $10 about what your "argument" would be, because he absolutely nailed it.

bronco militia
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM

orton would have never survived the season playing behind that OL.

Shoemaker
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
2010 Denver Broncos- 4-12, last place in the AFC West

McDaniels- fired

Orton- benched

Trade- failure

For this argument to be valid at all, you'd have to be postulating that the 2010 Denver Broncos would have won MORE than 4 games with Jay Cutler as their quarterback.

Is this your theory? Because otherwise, the Broncos' record this year and McDaniels' job status has no bearing on whether or not it was the right decision to get rid of Jay Cutler.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Its all water under the bridge now people. Who cares about Cutler, he's making his own bed and now he has to sleep in it. McD is history and Fox is now the HC. It doesn't take a genius to realize on emphasis is gonna be placed on defense and runng the friggen ball. If you look at both the AFCC teams, they win by playing great defense and running the ball. Ben Rapistberger makes the key throws when he has to, but other than that, he's pretty unspectacular.

jhns
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Man, I'm glad I didn't bet HAT $10 about what your "argument" would be, because he absolutely nailed it.

What is that? That I think just like the guy currently running the team? It must suck for you all to realize this fact.

Drek
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
My point was to primarily highlight his ability to will a broken play, something that typically winds up as negative yardage or a turnover, into a positive gain, sometimes even a very big positive gain.

That trait is something both of this year's Super Bowl QBs have, though with different methods. Its something that will be needed more and more in the NFL as the best defenses focus more and more on getting to the QB and disrupting the pocket, since the league will no longer let CBs vie equally with a WR down field.

In that way Tebow is similar to Rapistburger. He's also similar to Rodgers, though less so because Rodgers doesn't have the power and size that both Tebow and Bendalf the Grey use so well to shrug off pass rushers.

I bolded all the parts that I think hold equally true for Tebow.

Doug Flutie

Get used to it people.
Not a bad comparison at all. Doug Flutie was a tough fighter who often willed his team to wins that they had no right to even be in.

Doug Flutie was 5'10", 180 pounds. No one would mistake him for being a great pure athlete, but he was a dynamic player at QB who won football games. Much like Tebow.

Big difference is that Tebow is 6'3", 245 pounds and is an all world athlete. So while he displays a similar skillset to Flutie in many regards, his unique size and strength give him the pocket presence of someone like Rapistburger, where even when defenders get their hands on him it doesn't mean he's going down.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
My point was to primarily highlight his ability to will a broken play, something that typically winds up as negative yardage or a turnover, into a positive gain, sometimes even a very big positive gain.

That trait is something both of this year's Super Bowl QBs have, though with different methods. Its something that will be needed more and more in the NFL as the best defenses focus more and more on getting to the QB and disrupting the pocket, since the league will no longer let CBs vie equally with a WR down field.

In that way Tebow is similar to Rapistburger. He's also similar to Rodgers, though less so because Rodgers doesn't have the power and size that both Tebow and Bendalf the Grey use so well to shrug off pass rushers.

I bolded all the parts that I think hold equally true for Tebow.

Not a bad comparison at all. Doug Flutie was a tough fighter who often willed his team to wins that they had no right to even be in.

Doug Flutie was 5'10", 180 pounds. No one would mistake him for being a great pure athlete, but he was a dynamic player at QB who won football games. Much like Tebow.

Big difference is that Tebow is 6'3", 245 pounds and is an all world athlete. So while he displays a similar skillset to Flutie in many regards, his unique size and strength give him the pocket presence of someone like Rapistburger, where even when defenders get their hands on him it doesn't mean he's going down.

Point being Big Ben was a considered a ligit NFL prospect coming out of college and Tebow was not. Doug Flutie was also not considered a ligit NFL prospect coming out of college due to his size.

Neither Tim nor Doug were considered ligit NFL QB prospects, however both had good arms, both produced in college, both were Heisman winners, both made plays outside the pocket, both have/had the heart of a champion.

baja
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
This team now has its first ever pick in the top two spots of an NFL draft. <b>Nothing McDaniels did was the right move. </b>The guy currently in charge said it was a bad move. I agree with Elway.

Red Light.

maven
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Man, this board is obsessed with Jay Cutler.

zdoor
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Man, this board is obsessed with Jay Cutler.

No kidding...

Orange&BlueMohawk
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
The way I see, and some fellow fans that watch football with me, is that if you don't want to be in this city and play your heart out for them, you had better get out (Cutler, Marshall, Melo). I could only imagine how terrible it would be to wake up every day and have a whole city hating you. Especially for as much as professional athletes get paid.

The Mane only shows if that quitter would have stayed, there would be a mob waiting for him right now.

And Chicago is easily more dangerous than Denver.

Drek
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Point being Big Ben was a considered a ligit NFL prospect coming out of college and Tebow was not. Doug Flutie was also not considered a ligit NFL prospect coming out of college due to his size.

Neither Tim nor Doug were considered ligit NFL QB prospects, however both had good arms, both produced in college, both were Heisman winners, both made plays outside the pocket, both have/had the heart of a champion.

I haven't heard many people with real NFL insight question Tebow's NFL prospects as a QB though. Thats the haters talking.

Kiper and McShay? Sure. But they don't know anything about football. Most of the league viewed him as a very talented but raw QB. Maybe not worth a first but probably no worse than the 2nd round and he'd still be going to a team that wants him to play QB.

baja
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
The way I see, and some fellow fans that watch football with me, is that if you don't want to be in this city and play your heart out for them, you had better get out (Cutler, Marshall, Melo). I could only imagine how terrible it would be to wake up every day and have a whole city hating you. Especially for as much as professional athletes get paid.

The Mane only shows if that quitter would have stayed, there would be a mob waiting for him right now.

And Chicago is easily more dangerous than Denver.

What are Bears fans saying today anybody got a link to a good thread about it.

Steve Sewell
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
What are Bears fans saying today anybody got a link to a good thread about it.

Michael Wilbon grew up a Bears fan and his article is particularly damning of Jay Cutler. Not a thread though, sorry. And yes I sense your sarcasm!

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wilbon_michael&id=6052280

mhgaffney
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
My the difference a day (and one game) can make...

bendog
01-24-2011, 02:06 PM
The words/terms McDaniels and right decision are oxymorons.

edog24
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
The words/terms McDaniels and right decision are oxymorons.

I just don't see it so black and white. Don't get me wrong, I am enraged over what McDaniels did to this franchise and I think he's an arrogant prick.

Based on what we saw yesterday, it looks like getting rid of Cutler was a good move, hopefully drafting Tebow will be a good move also. Those are two positive moves it seems while he was here.

Now the negatives, I don't want to make this post too long....

bendog
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I was being a smart ass, though EVERYTHING McD touched turned to ****, which was the serious pt I tried to make. Personally, I think getting two ones and a journeyman qb for Lambchop was fine, esp because he was looking at an extension of over 100million and I'm not sure he'll be playing till 38. The problem was letting McD have personnel/draft control. We are not better than we were in 08, and we weren't good then.

edog24
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I was being a smart ass, though EVERYTHING McD touched turned to ****, which was the serious pt I tried to make. Personally, I think getting two ones and a journeyman qb for Lambchop was fine, esp because he was looking at an extension of over 100million and I'm not sure he'll be playing till 38. The problem was letting McD have personnel/draft control. We are not better than we were in 08, and we weren't good then.

Ah, i didn't get it-agree completely

footstepsfrom#27
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh, the irony... if dabears just would have stuck it out with Orton, they may very well be in the SB. I know Orton has some serious limitations, but toughness is not one of them.

I wonder if dabears would give us their second round pick for Orton... :egbgb:
In that offense and behind that line, Kyle Orton gets sacked 70 times this year.

Popps
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
In that offense and behind that line, Kyle Orton gets sacked 70 times this year.

Maybe, but they would have had to drag him off the field.

Point being, the difference between Cutler, Grossman and Orton at this point is pretty negligible if you're a Bears fan.

In fact, I'd suspect about half of their fans would do a 1:1 swap of Orton/Cutler right now.

TheReverend
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Point being, the difference between Cutler, Grossman and Orton at this point is pretty negligible if you're a Bears fan.

In fact, I'd suspect about half of their fans would do a 1:1 swap of Orton/Cutler right now.

That's a really weird claim considering Kyle has never even played a full 16 game regular season, but whatever.

bendog
01-24-2011, 02:53 PM

this is why fans don't get votes. I'm pretty sure Elway or Shanny would jump on that deal pretty fast. LOL