PDA

View Full Version : OT: Outdoor Kitchen

zdoor
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, I've been sitting at home for about 10 days recovering from knee reconstruction and its given me a chance to work on some projects around our house. We moved into a new house about 2 years ago and since the house was new, we've spent the last year and a half working on landscape and hardscape around the house. We're finally to our back yard and last fall worked on some design ideas for an infiniti pool and entertainment area.

The house is a pretty high end home and the pool is the same. We've settled on the design, which has a swim up bar and sunken outdoor kitchen. I've got a budget of $7500.00 for the kitchen components. I want to try and swing a BBQ head and side burner or side searing station, a beverage center, fridge and access doors and drawers. Been reviewing information on the net and have narrowed it down to a few manufacturers and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of the following brands:

Fire Magic
DCS
Lynx
Alfresco
Bull BBQ (looks like one of the better values)
Luxor

Any input or ideas is appreciated. Also, I attached a couple of the concept photos below.

BroncoDoug
01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
When can I come over and swim!

HAT
01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Headed out to watch the games but I'll respond here later. I built a pretty sweet set-up a few years ago.

HILife
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
When can I come over and swim!

Beat me too it.

zdoor
01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Should be done by summer :thumbsup:

underrated29
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
zdoor- I dont know if you have ever had an inground pool before, but the first rendition is not a smart one.

Anyone with an inground pool knows that those trees with the leaves will cause you sooooo much problems and trouble with your pool.

ex- clog the filter, and main drain at bottom of pool, leaves will mess up chemical balance, hard to clean as they can clog the cleaner or cleaner hose depending on what type of pool cleaner you use, after winterizing (if you live somehwere warm you wont winterize i suppose) but if you do winterize it, they can really mess things up too.

Plus, all bugs that will be coming from the tree and its leaves.

Don't put any trees within 50ft of your pool. You will regret it. I can not help you with the rest of it though. Sorry.

zdoor
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
zdoor- I dont know if you have ever had an inground pool before, but the first rendition is not a smart one.

Anyone with an inground pool knows that those trees with the leaves will cause you sooooo much problems and trouble with your pool.

ex- clog the filter, and main drain at bottom of pool, leaves will mess up chemical balance, hard to clean as they can clog the cleaner or cleaner hose depending on what type of pool cleaner you use, after winterizing (if you live somehwere warm you wont winterize i suppose) but if you do winterize it, they can really mess things up too.

Plus, all bugs that will be coming from the tree and its leaves.

Don't put any trees within 50ft of your pool. You will regret it. I can not help you with the rest of it though. Sorry.

The tree next to the out door kitchen is a live oak. It is about a 40 year old tree and doesn't drop leaves. Regardless, in my county, you can't remove an oak without a permit and they are hard to get. The other 2 trees are not actually there. The designer put them in for the concept. We will landscape once we got the pool hardscape in but will likely use palms or some other evergreen anywhere close to the pool. This is my 3rd pool and I know what you mean about trees.

zdoor
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Bumping my own thread... Trying to see if anyone on the forum had any experience with the brands I listed...

loborugger
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Bumping my own thread... Trying to see if anyone on the forum had any experience with the brands I listed...

You are navigating a minefield of Cutler related news, my man. Best you wait a few days and bump it again.

Beantown Bronco
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM

I think you've officially priced yourself out of 90% of the Mane's market......showoff! :)

(or most of us don't live in areas where an expensive outdoor kitchen is very practical - for climate reasons)

bronco militia
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I think you've officially priced yourself out of 90% of the Mane's market......showoff! :)

(or most of us don't live in areas where an expensive outdoor kitchen is very practical - for climate reasons)

yeah, you pretty much suck :approve:

Broncofan_H
01-24-2011, 10:10 AM

True. If he were curious about Char Broil, Weber or Sunbeam grills, maybe 95% of us could help.
:D

If that is his wife in his avatar, than he doubly sucks.

Mountain Bronco
01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
We put in a Alfresco built in grill with side sear section and rotisserie. It was the small one with about 36 inches of cook space total. We are only usually cooking for up to 8 max so it does the job but barely for 8. Also put in an alfresco fridge. Total was around $7500, if I remember correctly so your budget might be to small depending on what you want. I was suprised how expensive the outdoor stuff was, but Alfresco had a great warranty (all others warranty was basically devoured by the exceptions) plus good reviews. Can't remember the other brands we looked at. The sear grill is an absolute must though and I don't know how I lived without it. The rotiserie is also real nice for ribs and chickens etc...

Looks like an awesome outdoor area and living space though man. I only get to enjoy ours for abouot 6 months of the year (still cook on it in the winter, but run in and out) living in the Mountains, but they are a great 6 months. No pool either :(

zdoor
01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
We put in a Alfresco built in grill with side sear section and rotisserie. It was the small one with about 36 inches of cook space total. We are only usually cooking for up to 8 max so it does the job but barely for 8. Also put in an alfresco fridge. Total was around $7500, if I remember correctly so your budget might be to small depending on what you want. I was suprised how expensive the outdoor stuff was, but Alfresco had a great warranty (all others warranty was basically devoured by the exceptions) plus good reviews. Can't remember the other brands we looked at. The sear grill is an absolute must though and I don't know how I lived without it. The rotiserie is also real nice for ribs and chickens etc...

Looks like an awesome outdoor area and living space though man. I only get to enjoy ours for abouot 6 months of the year (still cook on it in the winter, but run in and out) living in the Mountains, but they are a great 6 months. No pool either :(

The nice thing about Cali is I'll get about 9 months use out of it. Its about 65-70 today and has been that way all weekend.

Have you noticed if the temperature is consistent across the entire cooking area? My last outdoor kitchen we did at the old house had a lot of variation across the grill as far as temp. Made grilling a pain... Trying to get one that is more consistent this time... I could go up a bit if I have to but hoping to keep it close to my budget... Never fails I end up spending more than I want though... Love the Alfresco beverage center pics. That thing is sweet. Was thinking I'd go cheaper on the fridge, maybe a Dandy for about $250.00 and upgrade when it dies. I really like the drink stations...

zdoor
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
True. If he were curious about Char Broil, Weber or Sunbeam grills, maybe 95% of us could help.
:D

If that is his wife in his avatar, than he doubly sucks.

It's my wife in my avy... What can I say, I've led a charmed life...

HAT
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, I've been sitting at home for about 10 days recovering from knee reconstruction and its given me a chance to work on some projects around our house. We moved into a new house about 2 years ago and since the house was new, we've spent the last year and a half working on landscape and hardscape around the house. We're finally to our back yard and last fall worked on some design ideas for an infiniti pool and entertainment area.

The house is a pretty high end home and the pool is the same. We've settled on the design, which has a swim up bar and sunken outdoor kitchen. I've got a budget of $7500.00 for the kitchen components. I want to try and swing a BBQ head and side burner or side searing station, a beverage center, fridge and access doors and drawers. Been reviewing information on the net and have narrowed it down to a few manufacturers and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of the following brands:

Fire Magic
DCS
Lynx
Alfresco
Luxor

Any input or ideas is appreciated. Also, I attached a couple of the concept photos below.

First off, my OD kitchen was an extension of the indoor one so I didn't need alot of components (warming drawers, side burners, ice maker, full size sink, etc.) It's been about 8 years so I'm not sure where prices have gone since then but $7,500 seems a little light budget wise.

Grill:
I heavily compared DCS, Lynx & Alfresco. I ultimately went with the Alfresco because of the searing station. Other brands were just coming out with infrared burners at the time and the Alfresco just 'felt' better hands on. I could not have been happier. Probably did 80% of my cooking on the searing grill only. I never did use the smoker but the main burners, searing burner & rotisserie burner all worked and cooked great.

The 42" was plenty big (mostly cooked for 4-5 couples max). If you host huge parties often and have the counter space, the 56" all grill would be sweet too. I passed on the side burner altogether to save some cash and it wasn't a need. The main burners are plenty hot enough to have a sauce pan or saute pan going simultaneously with a few pounds of meat. (Plus my main stove top was only 15 feet away)

This thing is super easy to maintain as well. Easy regular cleaning and also easy to disassemble components for annual deep cleaning as well. My ex still lives there and the grill looks and works as if it were a month old.

Also, I got the drop in model and didn't put any stainless steel doors below it. The back side of mine faced a side yard so I saved a few bucks and used a galvanized all purpose access door to get to my gas line.

http://www.alfrescogrills.com/images/ALX2-42SZ.jpg

Gotta get back to work but I'll review the rest of what I bought later tonight.

Mountain Bronco
01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
We didn't get the drink station, just the fridge, which is very nice and has very efficient space, so it holds a ton, but if I were to cut costs it would be on the fridge as opposed to the grill.

On the grill, I use the searing side 90% of the time and there is not temp variance on that (It is under a covered patio and built in so that helps). The grill has far less variance than normal, but a slight amount of cooling on the front part if there is a significant breeze. The rotisserie is an infa red as well and it does a great job. It also cleans nicely and has the slot for wood chips for smoking (although it isn't really a smoker and is almost blasphemy to speak of "smoke" on direct flame).

zdoor
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input. Alfresco looks good so I will research that further and see if I can find a dealer nearby.....

HAT
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
The nice thing about Cali is I'll get about 9 months use out of it. Its about 65-70 today and has been that way all weekend.

Have you noticed if the temperature is consistent across the entire cooking area? My last outdoor kitchen we did at the old house had a lot of variation across the grill as far as temp. Made grilling a pain... Trying to get one that is more consistent this time... I could go up a bit if I have to but hoping to keep it close to my budget... Never fails I end up spending more than I want though... Love the Alfresco beverage center pics. That thing is sweet. Was thinking I'd go cheaper on the fridge, maybe a Dandy for about $250.00 and upgrade when it dies. I really like the drink stations...

The nice thing about SoCal is you get 12 months use!

Temp are very consistent. I didn't have any cool spots on the infrared and the 2 main burners were almost too consistent for my taste. I like to just set the main burners to medium and make my own hot/cool spots. Easily done on either burner by manipulating the briquette placement. Budget is always an issue but Alfresco's offer tremendous value. I think the 42" was just south of 4K 8 years ago which is damn expensive but these things are so well built that the cost of ownership will be comparable to cheaper brands over 20 years.

And as nice & functional as the grill is...The beverage center was actually the centerpiece of my kitchen. I went with the 30"-er. Sink's big enough to soak/clean BBQ utensils, marinating dishes, etc. The ice tub is huge and comes with plastic inserts for wine bottles, garnishes, etc. and the speed rail keeps your counters free of booze bottles. This thing is every bit as cool in real life as it looks in the pictures. Cost was a bit hard to swallow for some welded stainless steel and a few plumbing components but it absolutely delivers the wow factor. And it's just as well built/solid as the grill.

Depending on the dealer....You should be able to negotiate some on a package price. I'm pretty sure the BBQ list was $3,950 & the Bev center $1,250....I got them for 5K even (including tax)

http://www.alfrescogrills.com/images/bartender_30BI.jpg

I skimped on the fridge also....The 'high end' ones from the BBQ makers were like $2,500 plus but I got one from U-Line or Summit for around $1,000. Got colder than a mofo and fit right in with the Alfresco stuff. I wouldn't go too cheap here though as the stainless steel front needs to look cohesive with the other appliances. (Or just go with a glass door front).

The last little luxury item I used was a commercial grade in counter blender (installed next to the AF beverage center). Not cheap, but again, the quality is tenfold of a household blender. (And my ex was in the industry so she got it @ cost). Not a must have by any means but super convenient for partying & cooking. Got a few extra bowls to have different drinks, salsa, sauces, etc. You can also get a base to use this as your everyday counter top blender indoors. It drops in & out of your outdoor counter quick and easy...Just have your countertop guy make you an insert to plug the hole when you don't have it installed outdoors.

http://www.perrylakes.com/images/blendtec-blender-residential-small-appliances.jpg

Damn, I miss that backyard! :sunshine:

Pony Boy
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Park this baby in back yard, fire up the hibachi and ice down some cold ones.......it doesn't get much better than this.

oldschoolorange
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Go with Bull!!!!

zdoor
01-24-2011, 05:39 PM
The nice thing about SoCal is you get 12 months use!

Temp are very consistent. I didn't have any cool spots on the infrared and the 2 main burners were almost too consistent for my taste. I like to just set the main burners to medium and make my own hot/cool spots. Easily done on either burner by manipulating the briquette placement. Budget is always an issue but Alfresco's offer tremendous value. I think the 42" was just south of 4K 8 years ago which is damn expensive but these things are so well built that the cost of ownership will be comparable to cheaper brands over 20 years.

And as nice & functional as the grill is...The beverage center was actually the centerpiece of my kitchen. I went with the 30"-er. Sink's big enough to soak/clean BBQ utensils, marinating dishes, etc. The ice tub is huge and comes with plastic inserts for wine bottles, garnishes, etc. and the speed rail keeps your counters free of booze bottles. This thing is every bit as cool in real life as it looks in the pictures. Cost was a bit hard to swallow for some welded stainless steel and a few plumbing components but it absolutely delivers the wow factor. And it's just as well built/solid as the grill.

Depending on the dealer....You should be able to negotiate some on a package price. I'm pretty sure the BBQ list was $3,950 & the Bev center $1,250....I got them for 5K even (including tax)

http://www.alfrescogrills.com/images/bartender_30BI.jpg

I skimped on the fridge also....The 'high end' ones from the BBQ makers were like $2,500 plus but I got one from U-Line or Summit for around $1,000. Got colder than a mofo and fit right in with the Alfresco stuff. I wouldn't go too cheap here though as the stainless steel front needs to look cohesive with the other appliances. (Or just go with a glass door front).

The last little luxury item I used was a commercial grade in counter blender (installed next to the AF beverage center). Not cheap, but again, the quality is tenfold of a household blender. (And my ex was in the industry so she got it @ cost). Not a must have by any means but super convenient for partying & cooking. Got a few extra bowls to have different drinks, salsa, sauces, etc. You can also get a base to use this as your everyday counter top blender indoors. It drops in & out of your outdoor counter quick and easy...Just have your countertop guy make you an insert to plug the hole when you don't have it installed outdoors.

http://www.perrylakes.com/images/blendtec-blender-residential-small-appliances.jpg

Damn, I miss that backyard! :sunshine:

Thanks for all the info, that blender is cool looking. That beverage center is the one I was looking it. Gotta have on of those in it....

zdoor
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Go with Bull!!!!

Do you have a BullBBQ? How long have you had it and how does it hold up? They are about 30% less than some of the other brands which is appealing but made me worry about the quality. How does it cook? Is it very consistent heat wise?

oldschoolorange
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Do you have a BullBBQ? How long have you had it and how does it hold up? They are about 30% less than some of the other brands which is appealing but made me worry about the quality. How does it cook? Is it very consistent heat wise?

I have had mine for just over a year. The quality of the stainless steel is very good. The cooking surface is very consistent and temperature is pretty even. The climate here is tough on things outside (even when covered) and they are like new. Very satisfied!

SoDak Bronco
01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Whatever you do, make room for a Green Egg. Def. the best purchase i've ever made for my "outdoor kitchen".

serious hops
01-24-2011, 08:29 PM
So are you gonna have this all installed for the Super Bowl party, or what?

SleepingTiger
01-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Fire Magic
DCS
Lynx
Alfresco
Luxor

I purchased my outdoor kitchen 2 years ago and went with Lynx. I have the 30" model with the burner and prosear. I can tell you that the prosear is something I use with everything. My sister has Fire Magic and she is very happy with it. Personally, I think the design and quality is top notch. All the salesmen that carried DCS, Fire Magic, Solaire thought LYNX is the best.

HAT
07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Should be done by summer :thumbsup:

Well?

zdoor
07-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Well?

It came out BITCHIN!!!

ghwk
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Very nice, man that cost some bones too! Is the umbrella on the island free standing? My BBQ Island gets a lot of sun and an umbrella would come in really handy.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow. That's spectacular.

Drunk Monkey
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I have outdoor kitchen envy

oubronco
07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Awesome dude that's very nicely done...Props

zdoor
07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Very nice, man that cost some bones too! Is the umbrella on the island free standing? My BBQ Island gets a lot of sun and an umbrella would come in really handy.

Umbrella is free standing. We designed a patio cover but decided to wait and live with it for a year first. The Oak that grows next to the kitchen gives a lot of shade too...

SleepingTiger
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Umbrella is free standing. We designed a patio cover but decided to wait and live with it for a year first. The Oak that grows next to the kitchen gives a lot of shade too...

I see you went with DCS? how do you like it?

broncosteven
07-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Very nice Dude!

I hope our Master Bathroom remodel comes out as nice even if we are under our $5k budget a week before the work starts.

zdoor
07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
I see you went with DCS? how do you like it?

Happy with it. It gets HOT. Flame up is not bad. Haven't used the rotisserie yet but its a nice setup.

Dagmar
07-20-2011, 07:44 AM
That looks just outstanding. What happens if it rains?

zdoor
07-20-2011, 09:20 AM
That looks just outstanding. What happens if it rains?
It gets wet... :wiggle:

There are vinyl covers for the 2 biggest pieces, the BBQ and the bar. The rest is exposed. It's all stainless though...

SleepingTiger
07-20-2011, 02:57 PM
It gets wet... :wiggle:

There are vinyl covers for the 2 biggest pieces, the BBQ and the bar. The rest is exposed. It's all stainless though...

if you want a smoker, consider cookshack. Hand built and American made. its automatic, just plug in, throw a couple of wood chips and your done. no heat management, maintain moisture and adding additional charcoal.