PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bits from PFW

PRBronco
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Slow news day (week?) around here, saw a couple blurbs at profootballweekly.com that might be worth talking about:

Speculation that DJ might be trade bait:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/16/lb-williams-may-become-broncos-trade-bait

Speculation that we might retain Harris:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/20/ort-harris-could-be-foxs-type-of-player

Tawlk amongst yaselves.

OBF1
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Nothing earth shattering

PRBronco
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Nothing earth shattering

I knew I should have just added this into the DJ Williams upskirt thread!

OBF1
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
The only person that is going to be butt hurt is SoCal

baja
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
The only person that is going to be butt hurt is SoCal

For some reason So Cal loves low character people.

Cutler

DJ Williams

Richard Nixon

Boob

broncogary
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
For some reason So Cal loves low character people.

Cutler

DJ Williams

Richard Nixon

Boob

He's a lawyer.

Requiem
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
One of the reasons I enjoyed the Fox hiring is because it confirmed what they are saying about Harris in this snippet. I originally had OL being pegged as a selection with one of our top 67 picks if Harris were to leave, but if he stays that would be beneficial and erase that need, allowing for our starting line-up from last year (Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris) to stay in-tact moving forward for 2010 and beyond.

The DJ tidbit is also interesting, but our defense is already bad enough. The DUI incidents aren't the telling matter in this. Money could be one thing and it is possible that the team feels that he could be replaced easily with someone on the roster or in the draft. I was speculating as to what position he'd play in a 4-3 under Fox.

Unfortunately DJ has went through coordinator after coordinator plus position switches in four of his what, six years here? I don't think he really had a fair shake at developing into what he could have been, but he is still a solid pro.

If DJ is traded, a linebacker would have to be drafted very early on. Martinez or Jones would probably be the best options. Early second round choices.

baja
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
One of the reasons I enjoyed the Fox hiring is because it confirmed what they are saying about Harris in this snippet. I originally had OL being pegged as a selection with one of our top 67 picks if Harris were to leave, but if he stays that would be beneficial and erase that need, allowing for our starting line-up from last year (Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris) to stay in-tact moving forward for 2010 and beyond.

The DJ tidbit is also interesting, but our defense is already bad enough. The DUI incidents aren't the telling matter in this. Money could be one thing and it is possible that the team feels that he could be replaced easily with someone on the roster or in the draft. I was speculating as to what position he'd play in a 4-3 under Fox.

Unfortunately DJ has went through coordinator after coordinator plus position switches in four of his what, six years here? I don't think he really had a fair shake at developing into what he could have been, but he is still a solid pro.

If DJ is traded, a linebacker would have to be drafted very early on. Martinez or Jones would probably be the best options. Early second round choices.

I think the want someone more cerebral to play in the middle someone like Ray Louis to direct the defense. We have sucked ever sense Al Wilson left.

driver
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I think the want someone more cerebral to play in the middle someone like Ray Louis to direct the defense. We have sucked ever sense Al Wilson left.

Finally somone else noticed too.^5

peacepipe
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Why when you're moving to a 4-3 trade away a player like DJ who could play either WLB or SLB.

HooptyHoops
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Why when you're moving to a 4-3 trade away a player like DJ who could play either WLB or SLB.

And, do we have any other LB that is worth starting? Plus, the asking price for DJ won't be too high.....

Abqbronco
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Why is it so hard for a LB to switch sides? I have never understood that. Is it a coverage thing? If so, is DJ really all that great at coverage?
I keep hoping the guy pans out but year after year he strikes me as average to a little above average. Not bad, just not great. Moving him now would be the best time to do it.

baja
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Why is it so hard for a LB to switch sides? I have never understood that. Is it a coverage thing? If so, is DJ really all that great at coverage?
I keep hoping the guy pans out but year after year he strikes me as average to a little above average. Not bad, just not great. <b>
Moving him now would be the
best time to do it.

This

oubronco
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
DJ is not our biggest liability on D by far

Abqbronco
01-20-2011, 05:22 PM

Agreed, but he also isn't a player to build around at this point in his career. This team can't get much worse so why not try to get some additional pick to infuse this team with youth and (hopefully) talent?

baja
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM

In a way he is. It's like having a stupid QB on offense.

baja
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM

In a way he is. It's like having an athletic stupid QB on offense.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I feel bad for DJ, talk about a guy who got screwed by the Broncos defensive system(s). He was always being moved around yet he kept a good attitude. Perhaps it's best if he just moves on to another team and starts fresh. This defense is being totally rebuilt anyway so why not trade him, get what you can and let some of the younger guys like Mays and Woodyard have a shot at leading this defense.

Hamrob
01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I think it's stupid. DJ is a good football player. We are never going to have 11 All-Pro players on defense. We'll be lucky if we get 2-3 other studs to go along with Doom. The rest of the D has to be filled out by good football players. We could certainly do alot worse than DJ Williams.

Now, here's the real issue:

What the hell are folks going to give us for an aging non-pro bowl player?

Dedhed
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I would love to see DJ and Orton shipped out for 3rd and 2nd rounders respectively. 3 picks in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd would put us in a great position to rebuild the defensive side of the field.

Ayers and Doom are the players to build around, not DJ.

CEH
01-20-2011, 06:32 PM

No they are just growing tired of DJ's act with his off the field issues
He will be dealt sometime this year

OrangenBlueOhio
01-20-2011, 06:37 PM
I think it's stupid. DJ is a good football player. We are never going to have 11 All-Pro players on defense. We'll be lucky if we get 2-3 other studs to go along with Doom. The rest of the D has to be filled out by good football players. We could certainly do alot worse than DJ Williams.

Now, here's the real issue:

What the hell are folks going to give us for an aging non-pro bowl player?

How old is he?

Abqbronco
01-20-2011, 06:50 PM
How old is he?

He's 28. Seems to be a good time from an age standpoint to trade him. He still has a lot of good years ahead of him from a football standpoint.

cutthemdown
01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
There are better linebackers to be had in FA IMO. Cut DJ loose in a trade, get what you can, and send his partying ways out of Denver.

cutthemdown
01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
How old is he?

It's mostly about wear and tear though. DJ hit the NFL at a young age. He's got some mileage.

Popps
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Fingers crossed on the DJ news. That would be phenomenal. (Sorry SoCal.)

montrose
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Fingers crossed on the DJ news. That would be phenomenal. (Sorry SoCal.)

Why do you want him gone? I mean, he's no world-beater but on a defense really lacking in talent he's a pretty solid player and if we go back to the 4-3 his two best seasons were when he was playing the WLB in the 4-3.

OABB
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Would love dj at will. That's what he is and is very good at it. We need a premiere MLB more than anything IMO. Are there any in the draft or fa?

Ray Finkle
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Why do you want him gone? I mean, he's no world-beater but on a defense really lacking in talent he's a pretty solid player and if we go back to the 4-3 his two best seasons were when he was playing the WLB in the 4-3.

What plays has DJ really made in his years here? Has he ever had an Al Wilson, John Mobley, Romo type play? Good players make plays no matter where you put them. I don't buy this crap "he was great at the Will and now can't make plays because of the Mike, Sam, etc.

broncogary
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
What plays has DJ really made in his years here? Has he ever had an Al Wilson, John Mobley, Romo type play? Good players make plays no matter where you put them. I don't buy this crap "he was great at the Will and now can't make plays because of the Mike, Sam, etc.

He's good physically, but not good mentally.

PRBronco
01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd really like to see how Woodyard does at will in a 4-3 with a half decent line.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Eh I think they are just basically cut and pasting Mike Klis's personal opinion and speculation (he had an article a week ro so ago saying DJ showed "poor leadership" afterward since he refused to talk to the media about it)....although if the organization is really thinking that despite wanting to go back to a 4-3 that wouldn't be surprising since the organization is apparently making it an ordinary course of business to make extremely stupid decisions. It would be more of the same in that regard. They can do whatever they want....but if they trade him, I would definitely be immediately in favor of the entire staff and FO being fired and the 15 inch dick with AIDS thing would look like a walk in the park.

JMO. Whatever...keep being idiots, you're doing a great job of it so far, FO.

oubronco
01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Where have they said their switching to a 4 3 anyway

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Eh I think they are just basically cut and pasting Mike Klis's personal opinion and speculation (he had an article a week ro so ago saying DJ showed "poor leadership" afterward since he refused to talk to the media about it)....although if the organization is really thinking that despite wanting to go back to a 4-3 that wouldn't be surprising since the organization is apparently making it an ordinary course of business to make extremely stupid decisions. It would be more of the same in that regard. They can do whatever they want....but if they trade him, I would definitely be immediately in favor of the entire staff and FO being fired and the 15 inch dick with AIDS thing would look like a walk in the park.

its been a really, really bad couple of years for you no?

SoCalBronco
01-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Where have they said their switching to a 4 3 anyway

They haven't said it, but Fox has generally been a 4-3 guy and the people he's interviewed so far appear to be primarily 4-3 guys.

oubronco
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
They haven't said it, but Fox has generally been a 4-3 guy and the people he's interviewed so far appear to be primarily 4-3 guys.

I thought I read somewhere us said he would run whatever best fit the players that it wasn't much different in philosophy

SoCalBronco
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
its been a really, really bad couple of years for you no?

Stuff happens...but yes, I've had a TON of my favorite players traded away in the last several years. It's not pleasant but that's how the NFL works. The team makes it choices and it goes from there. This hasn't been a team that's made great decisions lately, so it wouldn't shock me if they kept it up...that's kind of who they are at this point, its kind of why our owner has to hide behind other people....almost as if he refuses to sleep in the bed he made. I don't feel bad for him though, it couldn't happen to a more deserving person than Bowlen. It's not a fun time. If they trade him....they trade him...I WILL hate the FO even more and Bowlen as well, but then again, I already do, so it doesn't change a whole lot.

baja
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
He's good physically, but not good mentally.

Here in lays the problem.

What we need is a smart tough fast strong did I say Smart Middle linebacker to run the defense. D J can stay but just not leading the defense.

Homer Simpson
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Hasn't DJ led this team in tackles for the last, what, 4 years running?

baja
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM

I feel for ya So Cal.

schaaf
01-20-2011, 10:31 PM
I'd really like to see how Woodyard does at will in a 4-3 with a half decent line.

This. I think Woodyard could be a very good good will in a 4-3. He is still young and if he steps up thats another position filled. And DJ has led the team in tackles but he is in the position where he should be making about 60% of the tackles and he is nowhere near that, the defense tries to funnel it right to him.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Stuff happens...but yes, I've had a TON of my favorite players traded away in the last several years. It's not pleasant but that's how the NFL works. The team makes it choices and it goes from there. This hasn't been a team that's made great decisions lately, so it wouldn't shock me if they kept it up...that's kind of who they are at this point, its kind of why our owner has to hide behind other people....almost as if he refuses to sleep in the bed he made. I don't feel bad for him though, it couldn't happen to a more deserving person than Bowlen. It's not a fun time. If they trade him....they trade him...I WILL hate the FO even more and Bowlen as well, but then again, I already do, so it doesn't change a whole lot.

well, hopefully the worm will turn for you... in the mean time, do you mind not posting so much?

Kaylore
01-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Lots of bad DJ hate in this thread. DJ is apparently old, stupid, a malcontent and sucks in coverage. Then they turn around and declare him worth a third round pick?!?

DJ Williams is a good linebacker that has played behind six years of piss poor defensive lines. My only knocks on him are his lack of big plays and his drunk driving issues. He's been a true Bronco for us, though.

mwill07
01-21-2011, 05:26 AM
DJ has been a key cog in two of the worst D's I've ever seen.

montrose
01-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Well I don't think he's a star near the level of those guys you listed but on a defense of really bad players - but he's at least decent. And I do think he's best suited to play the WLB position. In 2008, he saved the game against the Saints by blowing up Pierre Thomas in the backfield - that's probably the biggest play in his career I can remember (that or breaking Roy Williams in half). He's never going to be a playmaker, but I do think he can be a competent starting LB on a good defense - something we can't say about 95% of the crap that's been on this roster going back to 2007.

Ray Finkle
01-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Well I don't think he's a star near the level of those guys you listed but on a defense of really bad players - but he's at least decent. And I do think he's best suited to play the WLB position. In 2008, he saved the game against the Saints by blowing up Pierre Thomas in the backfield - that's probably the biggest play in his career I can remember (that or breaking Roy Williams in half). He's never going to be a playmaker, but I do think he can be a competent starting LB on a good defense - something we can't say about 95% of the crap that's been on this roster going back to 2007.

Here's my take. If you can get value for him (say a pick in or before round 4), you let him go. There is going to be some 4-3 talent in LBer's in the middle round. I think Fox is bitting his time to get Beason (a real LB) when he is available next year.

montrose
01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Here's my take. If you can get value for him (say a pick in or before round 4), you let him go. There is going to be some 4-3 talent in LBer's in the middle round. I think Fox is bitting his time to get Beason (a real LB) when he is available next year.

Regardless of it was a good move or not, it'd almost be worth it to see SoCal's meltdown on Xanders.

fontaine
01-21-2011, 07:05 AM
I have no idea why people insist on trading away good players for complete unkowns in the draft.

You don't build a franchise by trading away good player and replacing them with a bunch of raw, untested draft picks. You do it by isolating the real weakenesses of the team and upgrading our DL, pass rush and safeties for defense.

Trading away DJ will just add yet another need to an already long laundry list of needs.

We're already short a safety, entire DL, an ILB along DJ and if we don't manage to resign Champ and trade away DJ then we've got Doom/Ayers and a potential rapist starting at CB.

That's easily a two/three rebuilding project on Defense.

Good luck with that.

BroncoInferno
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm not the biggest DJ fan in the world as I think he's underachieved relative to his talent level and just hasn't been the playmaker is capable of being. That said, he's still a very solid player, and I doubt we would could get compensation that would make moving him worthwhile. He has a pretty big contract and is probably going to get hit with a 4 game suspension, so we are probably looking at a mid-round pick at best. And, to me, that's just not worth opening up yet another gaping hole on defense that will need addressing. If someone unexpectedly dangles a 2nd round pick in our faces, sure, you jump at that, but otherwise I say hang on to him.

Ray Finkle
01-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Regardless of it was a good move or not, it'd almost be worth it to see SoCal's meltdown on Xanders.

yes...yes it would....

BroncoInferno
01-21-2011, 07:26 AM

But SoCal has been the ringleader of the "Xanders-pizza-boy-doesn't-really-do-anything" brigade, so logically he'd have to put the blame on Elway.

Ray Finkle
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I have no idea why people insist on trading away good players for complete unkowns in the draft.

You don't build a franchise by trading away good player and replacing them with a bunch of raw, untested draft picks. You do it by isolating the real weakenesses of the team and upgrading our DL, pass rush and safeties for defense.

Trading away DJ will just add yet another need to an already long laundry list of needs.

We're already short a safety, entire DL, an ILB along DJ and if we don't manage to resign Champ and trade away DJ then we've got Doom/Ayers and a potential rapist starting at CB.

That's easily a two/three rebuilding project on Defense.

Good luck with that.

I agree. I think you can pick up value for DJ, then let him go. Sign Beason next offseason and you've replaced DJ with a better player.

baja
01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm not the biggest DJ fan in the world as I think he's underachieved relative to his talent level and just hasn't been the playmaker is capable of being. That said, he's still a very solid player, and I doubt we would could get compensation that would make moving him worthwhile. He has a pretty big contract and is probably going to get hit with a 4 game suspension, so we are probably looking at a mid-round pick at best. And, to me, that's just not worth opening up yet another gaping hole on defense that will need addressing.<B> If someone unexpectedly dangles a 2nd round pick in our faces, sure, you jump at that, but otherwise I say hang on to him.

In a minute but like you said nobody is going to do that

montrose
01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I agree. I think you can pick up value for DJ, then let him go. Sign Beason next offseason and you've replaced DJ with a better player.

Beason is a Mike though, he and DJ could play together.

Ray Finkle
01-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Beason is a Mike though, he and DJ could play together.

Mike is harder to find than WILL/SAM. You could pick up a good cheap WILL/SAM, draft for depths and sign Beason. That would improve the LB

BroncosMT
01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I think ever since Elways presser when he discussed building through the draft and not FA, that Williams was going to be one of the changes....he hasn't been one of those LB's you talk about.....he just hasn't panned out here and needs a fresh start....and I think we can find a good, more long term replacement through the draft IMO

SoCalBronco
01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
But SoCal has been the ringleader of the "Xanders-pizza-boy-doesn't-really-do-anything" brigade, so logically he'd have to put the blame on Elway.

And I'm not afraid to do that if necessary. It wouldn't bother me in the least.

baja
01-21-2011, 11:13 AM

So far Elway doesn't know know when to keep his opinions to himself so he's got that on his tally sheet.

His latest comment on Cutler will not promote his stated goal to unite the fan base.

BroncoInferno
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM

So, looking at this from purely a football perspective, and leaving your personnel feelings for DJ as one of your favorites aside, would you be angry under any circumstances of a trade? As I said, I don't think the value we could get would be worth our time, but say a 2nd is offered, you would hate it even if that remote instance (again, from a purely football perspective and leaving out DJ being one of your favorite players)?