PDA

View Full Version : Why Trgovac left Fox and the Panthers

RunSilentRunDeep
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll start by saying I'm hoping for Mike Trgovac as defensive coordinator. But it sounds as if he could have tired of Fox. Also, family pressure was a factor in his move to Green Bay. A lot can change in two years, but doesn't quite sound like a guy that would be eager to move his family again and jump back into a coordinator role.

The following article is from two years ago and explains the move to Green Bay.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38258714.html

"For Trgovac, a self-styled workaholic, coming back to Green Bay made absolute sense for himself, his wife, Angela, and their two children, daughter Jordan (18) and son Michael (10).

"My wife told me, 'You haven't been a very good father the last year. Let's just take a step back and get a fresh start,' " Trgovac said. "It was just because I've been such a hard worker . . . not that I'm not going to work hard.

"These past couple years have been very hard on me. I spent a couple nights a week at the office. You throw your whole life into these jobs."

and

""I thought John needed a fresh start and I thought I needed a fresh start," he said. "And I wanted to depart as friends and depart this organization on good terms. I gave everything I had for seven years."

Fox, whose expertise is on defense, worked hand-in-hand with Trgovac. However, Trgovac called the game.

"I can understand how it looks," Trgovac said, alluding to the downward career move. "But things aren't always what they appear, I guess. Sometimes working for a defensive head coach is harder than working for an offensive head coach."

BroncosMT
01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
interesting find......sounds like he needed a change of scenery much Like Fox needed one too

Man-Goblin
01-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Andrew Mason was working in Carolina at the time, and he tweeted something to the effect that Fox's hand was forced by the organization to let go several assistants after the 2008 season.

rbackfactory80
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
One of the reasons I believe Mora didn't want to come here. Fox, even though he is head coach, will have great control over the defense.

Chris
Rocky Mountain HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH.... Colorado.

Come on down.

BroncosMT
One of the reasons I believe Mora didn't want to come here. Fox, even though he is head coach, will have great control over the defense.

It is for this reason I wonder if they give Wink a look

serious hops
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I can't verify this, but someone told me that Green Bay actually paid him more to be their DL coach than what the Panthers were offering him for an extension. It is on record that they only offered him a two-year deal, so he may have felt the Packers job offered greater job security/stability as well.

Don't know if he's ready for that fresh start at DC or not, but if he is I'd prefer him to Mora.

DenverBroncosJM
01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
If thats the case just keep Wink.

Fox can baby sit him.

Pony Boy
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
As much money as an NFL coach makes he should live at office 24/7 during football season. It's should be like living on a space station, talk to your wife and kids on a big screen TV, tell them you love them and you will see them when the season is over.

UberBroncoMan
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
As much money as an NFL coach makes he should live at office 24/7 during football season. It's should be like living on a space station, talk to your wife and kids on a big screen TV, tell them you love them and you will see them when the season is over.

That's an amazingly perfect analogy.

serious hops
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Come on, they should at least get conjugal visits.

LOL

schaaf
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
is anyone else wondering how to pronounce his name?

RunSilentRunDeep
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
is anyone else wondering how to pronounce his name?

TER-guh-vack.

Mountain Bronco
01-19-2011, 12:44 PM

I don't believe working that much more makes you any more productive. At a certain point without taking a real break, you don't focus as well and are not as productive and actually become counterproductive because you miss things and don't even realize it. The point where this happens is different for all people though. For some it is 10 hours, some it is 20, some it is 5 minutes. I bet most successfull coaches are around 15-18 hours before they break down in each day.

Also, for short periods, you can pack it in more, knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel (playoffs for instance). I hope our coaches each know what that point is and take breaks because I believe they will be better coaches for it.

Also, if your wife is bitching at home, it takes away concentration, so they better all have understanding wives.

meangene
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Has anyone seen his name associated with the DC job here other than that one line of speculation in the Denver Post? Gotta wonder if he is even a consideration. Doesn't sound likely given the OP. Plus, Elway tweeted we would have our entire coaching staff together next week at the Senior Bowl. Don't know how that could be if we can't even talk to him until after Sunday. I don't think Mora is out of the picture and I think there are other candidates we don't know about. Geez, I hope not Wink.

Cmac821
01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
TER-guh-vack.

Thank you

mkporter
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I'll start by saying I'm hoping for Mike Trgovac as defensive coordinator. But it sounds as if he could have tired of Fox. Also, family pressure was a factor in his move to Green Bay. A lot can change in two years, but doesn't quite sound like a guy that would be eager to move his family again and jump back into a coordinator role.

I also want Trgovac as DC, and here's an article that suggests it is a possibility. The article is talking about the reaction to his decision to start St. Pierre. (emphasis is mine):

“I guarantee you, the John Fox that I know would never do what they’re talking about right there,’’ said Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac. “Foxy has as much or more integrity than any coach I’ve ever been around. I would put him up there with the guy we have here [Mike McCarthy], Marty Schottenheimer, Bo Schembechler, my college coach, and Lou Holtz.

“It was time for me to move on,’’ Trgovac said. “We’re two prideful guys. Sometimes we saw it differently on things. We were together for a long time. Sometimes you don’t see eye to eye on things but there was no hard will. I would work for him again in a minute.’’

The globe no longer has the full article online, this is a link to the cached copy:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KQM22YTugGAJ:mobile.boston.com/art/54/sports/football/articles/2010/11/21/packers_assistant_comes_to_defense_of_panthers_coa ch/%3Fsingle%3D1%26p%3D2+site:boston.com+%22Packers+a ssistant+comes+to+defense+of+Panthers+coach%22&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Come on, they should at least get conjugal visits.

LOL

Apparently that's what Peyton Hillis thought McD's wife was there for....

mkporter
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Has anyone seen his name associated with the DC job here other than that one line of speculation in the Denver Post? Gotta wonder if he is even a consideration. Doesn't sound likely given the OP. Plus, Elway tweeted we would have our entire coaching staff together next week at the Senior Bowl. Don't know how that could be if we can't even talk to him until after Sunday. I don't think Mora is out of the picture and I think there are other candidates we don't know about. Geez, I hope not Wink.

I wouldn't read too far into Elway's tweet. I think his point wasn't that the entire staff is already assembled, but rather that everyone on staff is going to the senior bowl, which is unusual, and an extra expense that Bowlen agreed to.

Our entire coaching and personnel staff will convene for the first time next week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl...

Rascal
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
It is for this reason I wonder if they give Wink a look

Do you have a link for this or making assumptions?

Oops...forgot this board doesn't quote conversations.

Anyway...he said he believed so it answered my question.

meangene
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't read too far into Elway's tweet. I think his point wasn't that the entire staff is already assembled, but rather that everyone on staff is going to the senior bowl, which is unusual, and an extra expense that Bowlen agreed to.

Maybe so. But Fox also said early in the week we would have our DC in 24-48 hours. Maybe something has changed from what they originally thought. It would be nice to have our DC at the Senior Bowl though. Guess he can watch video like the rest of us. :approve:

mkporter
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Maybe so. But Fox also said early in the week we would have our DC in 24-48 hours. Maybe something has changed from what they originally thought. It would be nice to have our DC at the Senior Bowl though. Guess he can watch video like the rest of us. :approve:

Yeah, I'm guessing Elway figured we'd have it wrapped up by then, and maybe we will.