PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos retain 6 coaches from McDaniels tenure...8 named

The MVPlaya
01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110118/SPORTS/101180330/Fox-names-8-staff-members-McCoy-Studesville-stay-on-list

New coach John Fox announced eight members of his new staff Monday, six of whom he inherited in Denver and two members of his staff from Carolina, where he coached the past nine seasons.

Other holdovers are Clancy Barone (tight ends), Wayne Nunnely (defensive line), Brian Callahan (offensive quality control) and Jay Rodgers (defensive quality control). Fox is bringing offensive line coach Dave Magazu and wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert over from Carolina.

Kaylore
01-18-2011, 05:52 AM
I heard Gase is mulling his options. I think being hitched to the Tebow development as his QB coach puts the spotlight on him. Hopefully we keep him in some capacity.

Broncoman13
01-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Not impressed with the work of Tyke Tolbert. Several receivers in Carolina never quite panned out despite being high draft picks.

Happy to see Nunnely and Barone staying. Not sure about Studesville. I didn't think our RBs looked too good this year. Even while holes were there. In fact, I think both Knowshon and Buck to a step backwards. Health was definitely an issue so we'll see.

TheReverend
01-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Not impressed with the work of Tyke Tolbert. Several receivers in Carolina never quite panned out despite being high draft picks.

Happy to see Nunnely and Barone staying. Not sure about Studesville. I didn't think our RBs looked too good this year. Even while holes were there. In fact, I think both Knowshon and Buck to a step backwards. Health was definitely an issue so we'll see.

The ****?

TheReverend
Oh wait, is he being taken off the OL and shoved back to the TE's where that scrub belongs?

BroncoInferno
I heard Gase is mulling his options. I think being hitched to the Tebow development as his QB coach puts the spotlight on him. Hopefully we keep him in some capacity.

From what I've read, his other opportunities are to stay a WR coach. QB coach is a bit of a promotion over that, it seems to me. If you succeed there, you are going to be in line for an OC position. So it would be a bit strange if passed up essentially a promotion (in job description, if not money) to stay a WR coach. That would seem to say a lot about his opinion of Tebow.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Oh wait, is he being taken off the OL and shoved back to the TE's where that scrub belongs?

Yeah, he's going back to TE coach where he had some success with San Diego.

TheReverend
01-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Yeah, he's going back to TE coach where he had some success with San Diego.

Then I like Fox already.

PRBronco
01-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks for gracing us moronic Broncos fans with an update, MVP.

Kaylore
01-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Then I like Fox already.

Yes and our new line coach is very good.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Gase is meeting with the Cowboys to talk about their open WR coaching position.

Homer Simpson
01-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for gracing us moronic Broncos fans with an update, MVP.

Especially since this news was announced in the last couple of days and posted more than once since. But we're all morons.

2KBack
01-18-2011, 06:55 AM
From what I've read, his other opportunities are to stay a WR coach. QB coach is a bit of a promotion over that, it seems to me. If you succeed there, you are going to be in line for an OC position. So it would be a bit strange if passed up essentially a promotion (in job description, if not money) to stay a WR coach. That would seem to say a lot about his opinion of Tebow.

Not necessarily, it might, but it could be that WR is where he wants to be. We have some exciting young wide outs, and this guy seems to work really well with them. Kinda like how Turner was such a respected RB coach, and enjoyed it so much, that he just stayed as a RB coach.

Homer Simpson
01-18-2011, 06:59 AM

That is disappointing, WR is one of our few bright spots!

TheReverend
01-18-2011, 07:06 AM
That is disappointing, WR is one of our few bright spots!

The Cowboys have some really solid talent there too.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-18-2011, 08:21 AM
The Cowboys have some really solid talent there too.

Kinda. Austin had a down year after getting paid. Roy Williams is a bag and Dez Bryant can't stay healthy. I like what Denver did with their group this season.

TheReverend
01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Kinda. Austin had a down year after getting paid. Roy Williams is a bag and Dez Bryant can't stay healthy. I like what Denver did with their group this season.

He had a 1000+ yard season with 7 touchdowns when John Kitna played the majority of the season and Stephen McGee had to play 2 games.

Down year my ass.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
He had a 1000+ yard season with 7 touchdowns when John Kitna played the majority of the season and Stephen McGee had to play 2 games.

Down year my ass.

Compared to the year before and the high expectations set upon him, yes. Almost half of his yardage came before Romo went down. He had a lot of 2-3 reception games from there on out. He didn't step up. He's a great WR talent, but let's not act like he's something spectacular. Behind him are Roy Williams and Dez Bryant. Is that an amazing WR corps?

Is 69/1041/7 better or worse than 74/1230/11?

Boomhauer
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Combined with Ben McD no longer with the team, it apears the Broncos will have a fresh QB coach this year unless McCoy pulls dual duty. All other offensive positions have been filled.

Wink no longer with the team, only Nunnely. Whoever gets the DC job will have the freedom to select any coverage scheme through LB and DB coaches. I'm still plugging Romanowski and Darren Perry for those spots. Great coverage and heavy hitters is exactly what Denver needs.

footstepsfrom#27
01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
That's pretty unusual for a new coach to keep 6 former coaches from the outgoing regime. So does this mean John Fox is extremely dedicated to the idea that continuity is the right course of action given our new QB and his need for stability, or did this come down from above? Perhaps it was a condition of him being hired...who knows? I hope they don't just neuter this guy in an effort to over correct for the mistake of letting McDaniels have to much power. I mean he's been in the league long enough...he ought to have considerable say over things even if not the same level of control that Shanny got.

I'm posing conjecture about this because it seems like we've been told that he won't have control over the personnel and he won't have control (possibly) over who the staff is...that's if that theory is correct and I'm not saying it is. I am starting to wonder who the real football power is inside this organization. Is it Elway? He said he wasn't qualified for that right? And he didn't want it either, so if it's not Elway and Fox has to seemingly clear his draft andd maybe even his staff through someone, who is that? Bowlen?

Maybe some of this has been mentioned and since I'm not in town I just don't know about it...so has it been stated yet specifically who is ultimately driving the bus? I know they said it's a committe thing...so who gets to vote to break a tie?

OBF1
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
That's pretty unusual for a new coach to keep 6 former coaches from the outgoing regime. So does this mean John Fox is extremely dedicated to the idea that continuity is the right course of action given our new QB and his need for stability, or did this come down from above? Perhaps it was a condition of him being hired...who knows? I hope they don't just neuter this guy in an effort to over correct for the mistake of letting McDaniels have to much power. I mean he's been in the league long enough...he ought to have considerable say over things even if not the same level of control that Shanny got.

I'm posing conjecture about this because it seems like we've been told that he won't have control over the personnel and he won't have control (possibly) over who the staff is...that's if that theory is correct and I'm not saying it is. I am starting to wonder who the real football power is inside this organization. Is it Elway? He said he wasn't qualified for that right? And he didn't want it either, so if it's not Elway and Fox has to seemingly clear his draft andd maybe even his staff through someone, who is that? Bowlen?

Maybe some of this has been mentioned and since I'm not in town I just don't know about it...so has it been stated yet specifically who is ultimately driving the bus? I know they said it's a committe thing...so who gets to vote to break a tie?

Where do you come up with this? Better question, Why do you waste so much time wondering about things that do not matter. He keeps 6 of the old staff and you have to write 2 paragraphs about speculation. Are you sure you are not Burger Bill???

24champ
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Would have liked to have seen Brewster come back to Denver as TE coach.

Gort
01-18-2011, 12:28 PM

your avatar is wrong. so very wrong. but funny. i feel bad for Xanders. i hope he gets to do more than just order the pizzas.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Does anybody here do their ****ing research?

Tolbert coached Buffalo WRs from 2004-09 and groomed Anquan Boldin during his rookie season in Arizona in 2003.

This is ****ing pathetic from a poster who acts like a wannabe NFL insider.

Kaylore
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Yeah I've never been a fan of Clancy Barone. He's never done a great deal from what I can see, and his name is Clancy. I miss seeing Brewster scream at Scheffler.

Chris
01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah I've never been a fan of Clancy Barone. He's never done a great deal from what I can see, and his name is Clancy. I miss seeing Brewster scream at Scheffler.

He wrote some cool spy books. Good ol' Clanceh.

footstepsfrom#27
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Where do you come up with this? Better question, Why do you waste so much time wondering about things that do not matter. He keeps 6 of the old staff and you have to write 2 paragraphs about speculation. Are you sure you are not Burger Bill???
So what are you saying, you don't find it unusual for a new head coach to fill 3/4 of his staff with the old staff? Surely this merrits some attention and a few questions. We are talking about a front office here that's left itself open to some speculation based on past performance aren't we? Nothing happens in a vacuum...

24champ
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Brewster was great, he made Gates into what is today. Also did well with Scheffler, and I think Scheffler's play suffered once Brewster wasn't coaching with the Broncos anymore, he missed his guidance and motivation.

FireFly
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
So wait, do we have a new DL coach?