PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Jim Mora Jr. for your DC?

baja
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Do you want Jim Mora Jr. for your DC?

Poll

SoCalBronco
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Nope

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Depends greatly on the options. Like say, would you like Mora, or Shanahan's boy Bob Slowick.

I'll take Jim Mora, or a slightly retarded monkey if Mora turns it down, over the other option.

Homer Simpson
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Why do people not like Mora, I've not seen a reason yet.

baja
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Depends greatly on the options. Like say, would you like Mora, or Shanahan's boy Bob Slowick.

I'll take Jim Mora, or a slightly retarded monkey if Mora turns it down, over the other option.

What is Slowick doing these days.

HAT
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
NoSir

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 09:05 PM
What is Slowick doing these days.

I'm pretty sure he's still employed by Shanny. As sad as that is.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM

No one really has a legitimate reason. He wasn't a big Tebow fan is probably one reason. He was also nothing remarkable as a head coach, and people can't distinguish between that and his work as an assistant.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 09:10 PM

watch his pompous ass on the NFLN and you'll understand. Plus, he never EVER says anything positive about the Broncos... he's a guy who has been kicked off two NFL teams yet he disses the Broncos for taking a chance on McD.

No thanks to Mora Jr. Let him sit and spin.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2011, 09:12 PM
watch his pompous ass on the NFLN and you'll understand. Plus, he never EVER says anything positive about the Broncos... he's a guy who has been kicked off two NFL teams yet he disses the Broncos for taking a chance on McD.

No thanks to Mora Jr. Let him sit and spin.

Like I said...no one really has a legit, football related reason. They just think he has a big mouth. So ****ing what? If he can collaborate with Fox to get the D turned around, who cares?

baja
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure he's still employed by Shanny. As sad as that is.

Your kidding! In what capacity, cabana boy?

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
No one really has a legitimate reason. He wasn't a big Tebow fan is probably one reason. He was also nothing remarkable as a head coach, and people can't distinguish between that and his work as an assistant.

I totally agree. There is a reason this person was considered and hired for head coaching jobs in Atlanta and Seattle. There's also probably a reason his stints were so short as well (smells like a "personality" issue"). I'm guessing that his football acumen on the defensive side of the ball is very strong, given his longevity in the NFL as a defensive coach as well as a head coach.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Like I said...no one really has a legit, football related reason. They just think he has a big mouth. So ****ing what? If he can collaborate with Fox to get the D turned around, who cares?

What legit football reason is there to hire him as the DC? I believe he was the DC for the seahawks while Holmgren was the HC, correct? That being said, I don't know how the seahawks defense ranked during that time that he was the DC.

Did the seahawks have some kind of great defense while he was their DC?

gunns
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

I believe DB coach.

I agree with the pompous ass assessment plus the fact I was not terribly impressed with his defenses at SF. They had maybe one good year in his 5 years there although his T/G was decent.

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

DBs coach, I believe. Travis McGriff has cabana boy duties.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
What legit football reason is there to hire him as the DC? I believe he was the DC for the seahawks while Holmgren was the HC, correct? That being said, I don't know how the seahawks defense ranked during that time that he was the DC.

Did the seahawks have some kind of great defense while he was their DC?

He started as a DC for the 49ers between 1999-2003. They were pretty bad his first two seasons, but he got them turned around into a respectable unit before landing the heading coaching gig in Atlanta. He was the secondary coach/assistant coach for one year in Seattle before getting the HC gig there. He may not be much as an HC, but he obviously impresses people with his defensive IQ or he wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 09:27 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5365622719_b3800d7ca6_m.jpg

Pick Six
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
John Fox is a defensive-minded coach, right? If Fox trusts Mora, I trust Mora...

NFLBRONCO
01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Don't care

cmhargrove
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
DC = Dance Coach? Yeah, I'm in!

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
He started as a DC for the 49ers between 1999-2003. They were pretty bad his first two seasons, but he got them turned around into a respectable unit before landing the heading coaching gig in Atlanta. He was the secondary coach/assistant coach for one year in Seattle before getting the HC gig there. He may not be much as an HC, but he obviously impresses people with his defensive IQ or he wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is.

I'm sorry, I really don't know how this is considered some kind of strong resume as a DC. I know Holmgren groomed him to take the HC job in Seattle and he lasted all of 1 year before they kicked him to the curb for Petey Carroll. IMHO, he just hasn't done enough to warrant any kind of high regard as a DC. I guess I'd prefer a no-name defensive coordinator than one who IMHO has gotten by on his family name and family connections rather than his ability to actually coach.

Goobzilla
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Why not? Can't be any worse than Capt. Winky. Not a whole lot of unemployed DC's out there right now. I was interested in McDermott but apparently that was "stupid" too. John Marshall was fired by the Raiders a couple days ago, call him.

BMarsh615
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
He seems like the best option available at this point. If he doesn't get the job people are saying that we are going to bring in the Packers DL coach who was Fox's DC for 5 or 6 years in Carolina.

Mogulseeker
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, BUT contingent on several things... for one, as deadhead said - the options. Also Who we're getting as staff.

Honestly I would like to see Wink stay on at LB.... that dude from Bama seems like a good option at DL... etc.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
He seems like the best option available at this point. If he doesn't get the job people are saying that we are going to bring in the Packers DL coach who was Fox's DC for 5 or 6 years in Carolina.

Its weird because the guy you're referring to, Mike Trgovic, was mentioned as a future HC coaching prospect a few years ago when Carolina went 12-4.

Archer81
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I voted no. Watching the dude on NFLN makes me want to smack him. They could'nt get Marriucci to do the Head Coaches show? Its painful to watch a Mora segment...and sometimes Billick looks like he wants to backhand him.

:Broncos:

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Fact of the matter is that Jim Mora was impressive enough to get the 49ers DC job when they were still hot, and land two seperate head coaching jobs in the NFL. Also, the Eagles want to interview him for the job. That's pretty darn impressive.

Why he would be a great a choice:

* he ain't going nowhere. After being fired twice in the NFL as HC, I highly doubt he will land another head coaching job in the NFL no matter how well he does with us. Gives up stability at the position.

I like it.

spdirty
01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
not really but if he is I won't be heartbroken. I trust Fox and believe the defense will be his vision, no matter who is the defensive coordinator.

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Haven't you heard? He was a "great" coordinator for the 49ers! Over his period there his teams averaged 21st in scoring! Isn't that great!?!??!!?!?

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Also, if you really want to get the nut of the matter, Mora shares the same agent as Fox.

It is what it is.

Archer81
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Haven't you heard? He was a "great" coordinator for the 49ers! Over his period there his teams averaged 21st in scoring! Isn't that great!?!??!!?!?

Well to play devil's advocate...considering how badly we have been the last 3 seasons, 21st would be a nifty improvement.

:Broncos:

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM

But the blithering idiot was good enough to win 11 games in a NFL season once.

You know, that happens all the time; and we all know any fool can win 11 games in a season. Happens here all the time.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
But the blithering idiot was good enough to win 11 games in a NFL season once.

You know, that happens all the time; and we all know any fool can win 11 games in a season. Happens here all the time.

and his defense was a scorching 14th in the league that year....man how is it that this guy was out of football last season?

baja
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I like retreads because they tried and failed and had time to think about what went wrong. Mora has been a good defensive coach and he has had three firings to evaluate his work and improve. He's been away from the game awhile and is rested and ready to try out his refinements. I think he'll make a fine coach

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't know, a lot of great organizations and coaches have like him enough to hire him. Something has to be there.

The 49ers hired him.

Mike Holmgren hired him and made him head coach in waiting.

The Falcons believed in him and made him their head coach.

Dan Henning and Al Saunders believed in him.

John Fox coached against him for three years and has now hired him as his DC.

He must interview well?

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I like retreads because they tried and failed and had time to think about what went wrong. Mora has been a good defensive coach and he has had three firings to evaluate his work and improve. He's been away from the game awhile and is rested and ready to try out his refinements. I think he'll make a fine coach

When you haven't learned anything after the first two firings...it's foolish to think you will after the third.

baja
01-17-2011, 10:20 PM
When you haven't learned anything after the first two firings...it's foolish to think you will after the third.

I am sure he learned something from every failure.

Don't you learn from your failures?

baja
01-17-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't know, a lot of great organizations and coaches have like him enough to hire him. Something has to be there.

The 49ers hired him.

Mike Holmgren hired him and made him head coach in waiting.

The Falcons believed in him and made him their head coach.

Dan Henning and Al Saunders believed in him.

John Fox coached against him for three years and has now hired him as his DC.

He must interview well?

Love the way you build up your post to set up the last line. good job and very funny.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Well, we could have hired Sean Mcdermott, who coincidentally led the Eagles to the 21st best defense in the league this year.

You act as if we are passing over Dick Lebeau to hire him.

Who do you suggest?

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
and his defense was a scorching 14th in the league that year....man how is it that this guy was out of football last season?

Once again, what defensive mastermind is walking the streets that is ready to be hired?

Good grief.

yerner
01-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Sure, why not? Coordinators are mostly overrated. When you get to that level it's all about the talent you have available to you. Some motivate better than others but its rare to get to that level of coaching and not be a solid coach.

Slowik and Wink were both awful b/c the talent they were given not because they didn't know football.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I am sure he learned something from ever failure.

Don't you learn from your failures?

yep, which is why I typically don't fail over and over again. Every year Mora was a head coach his team got worse.
11-5
8-8
7-9
5-11

In SF he took the 13th ranked defense and made it the 30th. In 9 years of DC and HC jobs he has coached one top ten defense, ONE. It was 9th and he followed it up by coaching his defense to 21st in the NFL. He is nothing but an after thought in this league, which is why he didn't have a job last season, and wouldn't have one this season without Denver's dumb ass.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I suggest we hire either Dick Lebeau or Dom Capers. Their defenses were ranked 1st and 3rd respectively this year.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
yep, which is why I typically don't fail over and over again. Every year Mora was a head coach his team got worse.
11-5
8-8
7-9
5-11

In SF he took the 13th ranked defense and made it the 30th. In 9 years of DC and HC jobs he has coached one top ten defense, ONE. It was 9th and he followed it up by coaching his defense to 21st in the NFL. He is nothing but an after thought in this league, which is why he didn't have a job last season, and wouldn't have one this season without Denver's dumb ass.

We should get Bill Cowher to become the DC. Who is with me???

WABronco
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Keep him away from the mic. He's a massive tool.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Once again, what defensive mastermind is walking the streets that is ready to be hired?

Good grief.

How about we at least get somebody who isn't a walking failure. Why must we get a guy that we already know isn't very good? Might as well try a new young respected guy that hasn't failed already. Someone who still coaches, and people might want on their team.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
How about we at least get somebody who isn't a walking failure. Why must we get a guy that we already know isn't very good? Might as well try a new young respected guy that hasn't failed already. Someone who still coaches, and people might want on their team.

So lets go the unproven route again, heh?

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/2/b/9/0/NFL_Denver_Broncos_c982.JPG?adImageId=9583630&imageId=6718959

Remember, Rex Ryan was proclaiming what a darn good coach he was.

mkporter
01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I voted no, because he's never really had much success as a defensive coordinator. He had one above average year out of his five in SF. I'm not going to be ranting if we hire him, as I expect Mr Fox will have things under control on the defensive side, but I'd just as soon get a talented position coach on his way up. We should just wait around until after this weekend and interview staff from the league's best defenses.

OrangeSe7en
01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
What about Greg Blache? I know he's retired but he's only been out of the game 1 year?

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
So lets go the unproven route again, heh?

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/2/b/9/0/NFL_Denver_Broncos_c982.JPG?adImageId=9583630&imageId=6718959

Remember, Rex Ryan was proclaiming what a darn good coach he was.

You don't make any sense. You want to hire a ****ty coach, because you are afraid other coaches might also be ****ty? Trying to go ahead and get that whole exciting learning process out of the way and go into the season already knowing you have a Crappy DC?

Hamrob
01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Jim Mora was good enough for 3 NFL teams to want to hire him as headcoach. Let's see...how many DC's can say that????

The 3rd team was the Washington Redskins who offered him their head coaching position after his first year as Assistance Head Coach of the SeaHawks in 2008. He turned it down to remain in Seattle...because he new that Holmgren was leaving and he would become the Hawks head coach. The guy has talent...or teams wouldn't be interested.

Fox obviously wants to talk with him. I'm good with the hire if it takes place. Fox is the Defensive guru...so, I think he knows his stuff. We'll see.

OABB
We have little talent on d. The draft and fa will matter more than the dc at this point. With that said, mora is the Jim fassel of d coaches so I say he'll no.

2KBack
Gotta love the reason for supporting the hire being "Because I can't think of anyone else."

OBF1
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Put this logic to work with those that think WINK should be with this team in some capacity... Makes you want to hurl.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
How many of the people hating on Mora wanted Wade Phillips....who was fired from how many head coaching gigs?

He's probably completely capable. Coaches coach, players play. Something commonly forgotten among these parts.

Hamrob
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/mora-could-be-joining-john-fox-in-denve/

Mora close to joining John Fox in Denver

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2011, 11:17 PM EST

If the Eagles plan to make a play for Jim Mora as the franchiseís next defensive coordinator, theyíd be wise to do so very soon.

Like now.

Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post reports that Mora is close to becoming the next defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Mora served as head coach of the Seahawks in 2009, after two seasons as an assistant under Mike Holmgren. Before that, Mora spent three years as head coach of the Falcons.

Per the Post, Mora nearly became defensive coordinator of the Panthers under new Broncos coach John Fox in 2003, after Jack Del Rio was hired out of the position to become head coach of the Jaguars.

It would be Moraís first stint in the AFC since he spent seven seasons with the Chargers, from 1985 through 1991.

Hamrob
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Gotta love the reason for supporting the hire being "Because I can't think of anyone else."How about the reason being...is that Jim Mora is a damn good football coach!

Evidenced...by 3 NFL teams wanting him to be their HC. And, then there are the Eagles who are also in the mix right now for his services. Not to mention his time with San Diego and SanFran.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
It sounds like Fox just likes Mora. Well, I hope Fox knows how to make Mora a great DC because his resume is unimpressive IMHO...

mkporter
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Gotta love the reason for supporting the hire being "Because I can't think of anyone else."

It's almost as good as hiring him because other people seem to want to hire him. He apparently has some hidden talents that don't translate into on the field results, but are never the less very important.

OrangeSe7en
It sounds like Fox just likes Mora. Well, I hope Fox knows how to make Mora a great DC because his resume is unimpressive IMHO...

It's not a stellar resume but they were usually good against the run during his time in San Francisco.

bronco0608

And you can't either. You said, "Just hire an UNKNOWN, he can't possibly be any worse."

Is that logical?

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
It's almost as good as hiring him because other people seem to want to hire him. He apparently has some hidden talents that don't translate into on the field results, but are never the less very important.

We just hired a John Fox to be our head coach. Last season, his team had the worst record in the NFL.

Makes complete sense, right?

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:53 PM
What about Jim Bates? His defenses were pretty good back in the day!

baja
01-17-2011, 10:53 PM

Yet John Fox, the coach you like so much, just coached his team to a 2 and 12 finish.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Joe Collier has some mean defenses in his time. Lets get him.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I got it! Buddy freaking Ryan!! Yea, I said it. He had some good defenses back in the 90s.

YESSS!!!!!!!!

2KBack
01-17-2011, 10:56 PM
And you can't either. You said, "Just hire an UNKNOWN, he can't possibly be any worse."

Is that logical?

I never said Unnkown, I said young coach who hasn't failed yet. I'd rather raid the Ravens staff for Dean Pees, or pick up a LB or DL coach from the Packers or Bears this weekend. Kevin Greene would be fun, Keith Butler from Pitt...guys that are doing great jobs but sitting behind legendary DC's.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Dave McGinnis?

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Yet John Fox, the coach you like so much, just coached his team to a 2 and 12 finish.

whatever, it's not the same. Fox was a lame duck HC with a very young team, no QB and injuries to key players. If Fox believes Mora is the right guy for the DC job then I guess he's the right guy but color me unimpressed by Mora's resume.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I never said Unnkown, I said young coach who hasn't failed yet. I'd rather raid the Ravens staff for Dean Pees, or pick up a LB or DL coach from the Packers or Bears this weekend. Kevin Greene would be fun, Keith Butler from Pitt...guys that are doing great jobs but sitting behind legendary DC's.

Wasn't Dean Pees fired by the Patriots after a couple of years of being their DC?

So he was good enough to be fired a year back by Bilichick, and the only gig he could land was a LB coaches position? And why isn't ANYONE interviewing him for their vacant DC positions if he so good?

OABB
01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
For anyone unaware, mora plays a 11-0 technique defense. Basically for football newbs, mora employs 11 defenders with 0 technique.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 11:08 PM
For anyone unaware, mora plays a 11-0 defense. Basically for football newbs, mora employs 11 defenders in a O technique formation.

I like it. We played the 9-0 defense this year. Even though we had 11 guys on the field, it looked like we only played 9 at a time.

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Seems like a capable DC especially considering Fox is a defensive coach.

mkporter
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
We just hired a John Fox to be our head coach. Last season, his team had the worst record in the NFL.

Makes complete sense, right?

What are you, Mora's agent? John Fox had several very good Panther teams. Mora did not have any very good defenses as a defensive coordinator. Like I said, I trust Fox will keep an eye on the D because he has a proven track record, but I've yet to see a reason why Mora is anything but an average candidate.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 11:12 PM
What are you, Mora's agent? John Fox had several very good Panther teams. Mora did not have any very good defenses as a defensive coordinator. Like I said, I trust Fox will keep an eye on the D because he has a proven track record, but I've yet to see a reason why Mora is anything but an average candidate.

Mora had a good Falcons team that went 11-5 that went to the NFC championship game. That doesn't count?

2KBack
Wasn't Dean Pees fired by the Patriots after a couple of years of being their DC?

So he was good enough to be fired a year back by Bilichick, and the only gig he could land was a LB coaches position? And why isn't ANYONE interviewing him for their vacant DC positions if he so good?

You are way above your head.

Dean pees was the DC for NE 2006-2009, would you like to know where his defenses ranked? 2nd, 4th, 8th, 5th in scoring. Guess how many times Mora has achieved such rankings...zero.

By your own logic, why didn't Jim Mora even have a job in football last year?

Tell you what, since you are so convinced, tell me why you think Hiring Jim Mora is the right move. Show me where in his history he has shown the ability to coordinate an elite defense.

OABB
I like it. We played the 9-0 defense this year. Even though we had 11 guys on the field, it looked like we only played 9 at a time.

Mora will bring in his leadership and all 11 players will be on the same page. Moras players are always prepared to whiff on every tackle and they rarely make one. He is an outstanding coach in that regard.

bronco0608
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
You are way above your head.

Dean pees was the DC for NE 2006-2009, would you like to know where his defenses ranked? 2nd, 4th, 8th, 5th in scoring. Guess how many times Mora has achieved such rankings...zero.

By your own logic, why didn't Jim Mora even have a job in football last year?

Tell you what, since you are so convinced, tell me why you think Hiring Jim Mora is the right move. Show me where in his history he has shown the ability to coordinate an elite defense.

Bilichicks defenses have been top 10 since he has been there. Its like giving Rick Dennison credit for the Broncos offense during Shanny's last seasons here. So lets not go there.

Also, for your viewing pleasure:

Dean Pees
Career Record: 6 Years, 17-51, .250 W-L% (Major Schools)
Major School: Kent State (17-51)

Yea, Dean Pees, he is not a retread.

mkporter
01-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Mora had a good Falcons team that went 11-5 that went to the NFC championship game. That doesn't count?

It counts if you are interviewing for a head coaching job, it has less (although some) validity as consideration for the DC job, as the role of a head coach is much different than the role of a coordinator. His track record in the job that we are hiring him for is unimpressive. If we hire him, he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me, but i still don't see what makes him an impressive candidate.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Bilichicks defenses have been top 10 since he has been there. Its like giving Rick Dennison credit for the Broncos offense during Shanny's last seasons here. So lets not go there.

Also, for your viewing pleasure:

Dean Pees
Career Record: 6 Years, 17-51, .250 W-L% (Major Schools)
Major School: Kent State (17-51)

Yea, Dean Pees, he is not a retread.

uh...who the **** cares what his college coaching record is? You have no idea what you are talking about do you? NE defense ranked 17th in scoring the season before Pees became coordinator.

You also mentioned that the Falcons going 11-5 under Mora with a mediocre defense somehow makes him a better DC? You do understand what we are discussing right? Whether a coach could be a good defensive coordinator. Something Mora hasn't been.

I will pose this question to you one more time. What in Jim Mora's history makes you believe that he can coordinate an elite defense?

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Using this logic I guess we will have to give Fox the credit for Mora's defenses when it comes to the Broncos. I sure hope Fox makes Denver's defense top 10 with Mora as his DC, because I sure don't think Mora can do it on his own...

OrangeSe7en
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM
If Mora is the best they can do right now, fine. So be it. But what I worry about is there being a reluctance to get rid of him should someone else who is better becomes available.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 11:39 PM
If Mora is the best they can do right now, fine. So be it. But what I worry about is there being a reluctance to get rid of him should someone else who is better becomes available.

If a better DC candidate comes along (and the Broncos defense under Mora is subpar) then it's up to Xanders to fire Mora and bring in a real DC (Xanders and Elway). Again, the MO of a true NFL front office is to have the GM have final say on the coaching staff (or the VP of Football Operations). I just hope the Broncos new front office has the fortitude to do the right thing when it comes to the coaching staff and the players.

OABB
01-17-2011, 11:45 PM
No one will be reluctant to fire him once he coaches his first series. I can't believe he is an option. I have always hated that guy because, well,

He sucks.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that this is largely the product of penny pinching?

SoCalBronco
01-18-2011, 12:18 AM
If a better DC candidate comes along (and the Broncos defense under Mora is subpar) then it's up to Xanders to fire Mora and bring in a real DC (Xanders and Elway). .

Xanders would be intimidated by a little girl, so HTF are you expecting him to have the sack to fire ineffective DCs?

Killericon
01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that this is largely the product of penny pinching?

Not even a little bit. Don't you think the cheapest move would be to promote someone else's position coach, or stick with wink, over pursuing a guy that has interest from other teams and has been HC before? I can't think of any way that this would be the product of penny-pinching.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Not even a little bit. Don't you think the cheapest move would be to promote someone else's position coach, or stick with wink, over pursuing a guy that has interest from other teams and has been HC before? I can't think of any way that this would be the product of penny-pinching.

Somehow I don't think Mora is a hot prospect out there. I think they prolly whiffed on McDermott (money plus he didnt want to walk into a mess) and had to settle for someone who's only other gig was being an ass on NFLN. Mora hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his latest coaching stints.

Ratboy
01-18-2011, 12:27 AM

Nope.

They are bringing in a guy with head coaching experience to try and rally some of these players.

Fox is a defensive minded guy, whose system do you think we'll be running? Fox is the man and he just needs someone to supervise it while he works on leading and preparing the entire team.

bronco0608
01-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Somehow I don't think Mora is a hot prospect out there. I think they prolly whiffed on McDermott (money plus he didnt want to walk into a mess) and had to settle for someone who's only other gig was being an ass on NFLN. Mora hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his latest coaching stints.

McDermott hasn't proven anything as a DC; 21st ranking this past year. Why is he a hot prospect again? Because he coached in the NFC East and looks like Mcdaniels younger brother?

Mora has been linked to Philly as well.

Killericon
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM

Well, maybe he's not the hottest prospect, but if they were really pennypinching, don't you think they'd be scouring position coach rosters for someone they could hire for the bare minimum? Maybe an old pal of John Fox's? There is other interest out there for him.

Besides, who else out there right now is the 'hot' DC prospect?

SoCalBronco
01-18-2011, 12:34 AM
McDermott hasn't proven anything as a DC; 21st ranking this past year. Why is he a hot prospect again? Because he coached in the NFC East and looks like Mcdaniels younger brother?

Mora has been linked to Philly as well.

I know for a fact that Sean McDermott was strongly considered as a candidate for at least one and possibly more big time college head coaching jobs. He's well thought of for a young DC.

bronco0608
01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
James Lawrence Mora always had this gravitational pull about him, this presence that intrigued people and pulled them closer.

It came naturally. They wanted to follow him, to see him smile, to hear him laugh. Even then, when he served as a backup linebacker and special-teams ace at the University of Washington in the early 1980s, his roommates were struck by how many people knew him and how many others wanted to.

He's tough and hard-nosed and disciplined, all right. The kind of guy who spent 20 years filling a black bag with ideas and game plans ó everything he altered and used when all his dreams fell into place ó then brought it with him to Atlanta for an interview that knocked the mustache off Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

But he's also universally recognized as a players' coach. The kind of guy NFL Films caught on tape at the Georgia Dome last month, imploring staff to turn up the Snoop Dogg song blasting through the loudspeakers.

"He is a coach without a flaw," said Hugh Millen, Mora's college roommate and a radio personality at KJR. "He's going to be one of the greats in this industry. Twenty years from now, people are going to talk about him as one of the great, all-time coaches. Ever. Twenty-five years from now they'll be handing him a yellow blazer."

Falcons defensive coordinator Ed Donatell was a graduate assistant at UW when Mora played there. Mora always wanted to know "why." Why were they in that scheme? Why did it work? And those questions, Donatell said while laughing, were often not pertinent to Mora's on-field success. They were pertinent for later.

Family members say Mora has an extreme Type A personality, the kind of guy who needs unwind time to get to sleep at night, especially if everything on his to-do list isn't done. The kind of guy, Millen remembers, who cleared his head by constantly vacuuming.

Mora always wanted total control, too. San Francisco linebacker Jeff Ulbrich saw that when the 49ers traveled to play in domes. Mora wasn't a big fan of playing football indoors, so he'd bring dirt from the 49ers' practice facility and make the defensive players rub it on their jerseys.

"He was so meticulous," Ulbrich said. "He thought about everything. He has that aura about him. It's hard for it not to be contagious. I mean, it was every day, just the fire in his eyes."

Combine all of that. The discipline. The organization. The smarts. The gravitational pull. The corresponding relationships he builds with players, with coaches, even with a women's track team.

And this is what you're left with ó the Mora aura.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002134996_hawk30.html

bronco0608
01-18-2011, 12:43 AM
I know for a fact that Sean McDermott was strongly considered as a candidate for at least one and possibly more big time college head coaching jobs. He's well thought of for a young DC.

That's fine and all, but to be fair, he has accomplished far less than Mora and he single handedly brought Philly's defense to lows they haven't seen in a while.

And lets not forget, McDermott got the DC gig by default in the first place. If the great Jim Johnson hadn't fell ill right before the 2009 season, no one would know this kids name.

bronco0608
01-18-2011, 12:45 AM
But one play stuck with former NFL coach and current NFL Network analyst Jim Mora Jr. On a third-quarter 10-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8439) to James Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10522), cornerback Mike Jenkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11259) held up from attempting to tackle Jones at the goal line as safety Gerald Sensabaugh (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8571) hit him.

After the play, Jenkins put his head down as the Packers celebrated taking a 35-7 lead.

Mora in talking about the play said the Cowboys should cut Jenkins.

"To me, this is high treason," Mora said. "An NFL football player does not turn down a play like that. And if I’m Jason Garrett, the first thing that I’m doing when I take over as the head coach of this team, is I’m getting guys like that — number 21, who absolutely committed treason, let his team down by passing up a tackle and let the ball get in the end zone — I’m taking him and I’m getting him out of my locker room."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4674351/mike-jenkins-responds-to-jim-mora

Ratboy
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Check out the top 5 defensive coaches (scoring).

1. LeBeau
2. Capers
3. Mattison
4. Marinelli
5. VanGorder

3/5 are failed head coaches.

Ratboy
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM

Good read.

This is why they want to bring him in here.

I'm starting to like this coaching staff..

Experience is what we need.

bronco0608
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/137395/in-their-own-words-the-moras

strafen
01-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Good read.

This is why they want to bring him in here.

I'm starting to like this coaching staff..

Experience is what we need.Jim Mora does bring experience.
I'm not sure if I like him or not.
The bottom line is that having had headcoaching experience will help him run the defense with command.
Whoever comes in as our DC, the new defense will have Fox's defense philosophy stamped on it

serious hops
01-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Check out the top 5 defensive coaches (scoring).

1. LeBeau
2. Capers
3. Mattison
4. Marinelli
5. VanGorder

3/5 are failed head coaches.

The great Buddy Ryan was a failed head coach as well. I'm not sure how far that line of thinking goes, though-- both Ryan and Le Beau were proven rockstar coordinators before they got head coaching jobs. Mora did a pretty solid job in San Fran, but not exactly the '85 Bears or a Blitzburgh defense.

mkporter
01-18-2011, 01:17 AM

"The one thing as defensive backs coach 'Slo' did was listen to his players," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "Because if the players aren't comfortable with the defense or are having some problems or don't necessarily fit into some of the things you're doing on defense, you have to listen to your players.

"And I know 'Slo' - if it was something as a defensive secondary we didn't feel comfortable doing, he'd tweak some things that allowed us to be comfortable. I really think 'Slo' will do a good job because he's definitely a guy that will coach you up."

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, has called Slowik "the best coach I've ever had."

"Bob is someone who I have worked with for several years and has a great knowledge of the defensive side of the ball," Shanahan said. "He has been very successful as both a position coach and a coordinator in this league and will be instrumental in working with our defensive backs."

Again, what has Mora done as a defensive coordinator to warrant such strong support? I'm all for supporting whoever we hire, and trusting Fox, but what makes Mora a good hire? The fact that some people like him?

Bob's your Information Minister
01-18-2011, 01:20 AM
That guy comes across as a complete pussy.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Mora wasn't a big fan of playing football indoors, so he'd bring dirt from the 49ers' practice facility and make the defensive players rub it on their jerseys.

Assclownery at it's finest.

Taco John
01-18-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't like JMjr. as a head coach, but I think he's done a fine enough job as a DC to warrant our attention.

mkporter
01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
I don't like JMjr. as a head coach, but I think he's done a fine enough job as a DC to warrant our attention.

Where?

Ratboy
01-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Mora will do just fine.

Defense Stats (Points):
97: 1st
98: 8th
99: 23rd
00: 5th
01: 16th
02: 5th
03: 10th
04: 15th
05: 5th
06: 8th
07: 15th
08: 12th
09: 9th
10: 26th

baja
01-18-2011, 06:00 AM

If money was an issue they would have hired Dennison who by all reports was in a virtual tie with Fox yet the hired the much more expensive Fox. I think the money issue has been put to rest So Cal.

Ray Finkle
01-18-2011, 06:39 AM

if that was the case, you wouldn't be getting the Mora's or McDermott's. You'd be getting the Slowik's, Bush's, and the like.

WolfpackGuy
01-18-2011, 06:47 AM
As long as he dresses better than Wink, I'm fine with it.

Broncoman13
01-18-2011, 07:00 AM
I am pretty much undecided. On one hand, this guy has done well enough as a DC to later get a HC opportunity not once but twice. There has to be something there.

But I also don't see much to make me think he's going to turn around a piss poor defense and turn them into the Orange Crush or something. Orange Mush maybe?

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Are you being serious? Mora Jr. is probably one of the more expensive options out there.

bowtown
01-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm undecided on this one.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Again, what has Mora done as a defensive coordinator to warrant such strong support? I'm all for supporting whoever we hire, and trusting Fox, but what makes Mora a good hire? The fact that some people like him?

Being a coordinator is kind of like being a QB...you get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure (or perceived failure). A coordinator can only call the plays and coach the players he is given. it is up to the players to execute. People say, "well, I'm not that impressed with the numbers of Mora's D in San Fran, therefore he isn't that good." But look at the the players he had to work with. It's easy to become a rock star coordinator like, say, Marvin Lewis when you have Hall of Fame level talent on your defense. As a counter example, look at Mike McCarthy. His San Fran offense was ranked 32nd in the league right before he got the Green Bay job. He's obviously proven his offensive acumen with the Packers. It helps to have Aaron Rodgers to work with at QB instead of Alex Smith. People don't put these things in their proper context. Mora Jr. is obviously very highly thought of accross the league. Maybe there is a reason for that?

TonyR
01-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Are you being serious? Mora Jr. is probably one of the more expensive options out there.

Yup, I'm a bit puzzled by anyone thinking this could possibly be about money. It's also funny that the Philadelphia Eagles, a very good and smart organization, fired McDermott and reportedly want to hire Mora. But people here hate Mora and want McDermott.

TonyR
01-18-2011, 07:37 AM

It's also possible that they wanted Mora more than McDermott, right? The truth is we don't know what happened and why. Maybe the interview with McDermott didn't go well. Maybe McDermott had more connections and/or was more comfortable in Carolina. We also don't know why Mora would choose Denver over Philadelphia because that's what they're asking here in the Phila media.

Edit to add that I just found a very good article below on the topic:

Mora has to consider his family in job selection

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110118_Paul_Domowitch__Eagles_D-coordinator_candidate_Mora_has_to_consider_his_fam ily.html#ixzz1BOj8imYU

Missouribronc
01-18-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm intrigued by Mora as DC. It looks like his defenses have always been pretty good, he's kind of an ass - which I think is good for defensive coaches - and this aligns well with building a structured organization from top to bottom.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Yup, I'm a bit puzzled by anyone thinking this could possibly be about money. It's also funny that the Philadelphia Eagles, a very good and smart organization, fired McDermott and reportedly want to hire Mora. But people here hate Mora and want McDermott.

And McDermott is even less impressive from a purely statistical standpoint than Mora Jr. Don't get me wrong, I liked McDermott, but some of these guys who don't want Mora point to the stats of his defense. Like I stated in my earlier post above, more goes into this stuff than where a guy's defense ranked. A lot has to be taken into consideration, not the least of which is the quality of players a guy has to work with. Obviously, Mora Jr. has earned the respect of guys like Mike Holmgren and John Fox, so i will take their opinion over some guy named 2KBack on the Orangemane message board.

TonyR
01-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Here's some more good fluff on Mora from the Phila media:

Players' coach.

That's how two of Jim Mora's former players describe the leading candidate to fill the Eagles' vacancy at defensive coordinator.

"I love him," said Eagles defensive end Darryl Tapp, who played under Mora in Seattle. "I honestly do. That's one hardworking, energized dude. He cares about his players for more than just what they can do on the field.

"He cultivates an environment that makes the team feel like a family. When it's just a job, it isn't any fun."

Nearly the same was said of Sean McDermott. The recently fired Eagles defensive coordinator landed the same job in Carolina on Monday. But Mora may have a leg up on other coaches when it comes to the modern-day football player because of his pedigree.

"He has a player's mentality," said former Eagles linebacker Ike Reese, who played for Mora in Atlanta. "Growing up around NFL players his whole life, being a college player himself, he understands today's players."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110118_Mora_gets_high_marks_from_former_charges. html#ixzz1BOkH9uie
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

2KBack
01-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Being a coordinator is kind of like being a QB...you get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure (or perceived failure). A coordinator can only call the plays and coach the players he is given. it is up to the players to execute. People say, "well, I'm not that impressed with the numbers of Mora's D in San Fran, therefore he isn't that good." But look at the the players he had to work with. It's easy to become a rock star coordinator like, say, Marvin Lewis when you have Hall of Fame level talent on your defense. As a counter example, look at Mike McCarthy. His San Fran offense was ranked 32nd in the league right before he got the Green Bay job. He's obviously proven his offensive acumen with the Packers. It helps to have Aaron Rodgers to work with at QB instead of Alex Smith. People don't put these things in their proper context. Mora Jr. is obviously very highly thought of accross the league. Maybe there is a reason for that?

Context like taking the 13th ranked D and making it the 30th ranked D with essentially the same personnel?

Look we all know in the incestuous fraternity of NFL coaching that poor coaches get opportunities repeatedly. The fact that another team might want to hire him (they certainly didn't last year as he was out of the league), just shows that people don't learn from these repeated mistakes.

If Mora comes in and somehow turns this defense elite, I will totally admit I was wrong. I'm telling you right now though, this guy has made talented Defenses look like crap, what is he going to do to ours? This has Slowick written all over it...super smart coach that everyone keeps hiring, who simply is better off without actual control.

TonyR
01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Some fyi on McDermott, may make some of you feel a little bit better...

Eagles players continued to express mixed feelings yesterday about McDermott's departure. Cornerback Ellis Hobbs said on Comcast SportsNet's "Daily News Live'' that he would have been fine with McDermott staying, but Hobbs acknowledged he had witnessed heated confrontations between McDermott and players in meetings, confrontations Hobbs felt illustrated that McDermott hadn't earned players' respect. Hobbs agreed that McDermott seemed to drastically change his evaluations of players, something he said led to players questioning McDermott's leadership.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110118_Report__Mora_nearing_coordinator_s_job_wi th_Denver.html#ixzz1BOmPJnHl

Rascal
01-18-2011, 07:58 AM
But one play stuck with former NFL coach and current NFL Network analyst Jim Mora Jr. On a third-quarter 10-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8439) to James Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10522), cornerback Mike Jenkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11259) held up from attempting to tackle Jones at the goal line as safety Gerald Sensabaugh (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8571) hit him.

After the play, Jenkins put his head down as the Packers celebrated taking a 35-7 lead.

Mora in talking about the play said the Cowboys should cut Jenkins.

"To me, this is high treason," Mora said. "An NFL football player does not turn down a play like that. And if Iím Jason Garrett, the first thing that Iím doing when I take over as the head coach of this team, is Iím getting guys like that ó number 21, who absolutely committed treason, let his team down by passing up a tackle and let the ball get in the end zone ó Iím taking him and Iím getting him out of my locker room."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4674351/mike-jenkins-responds-to-jim-mora

Pretty hypocritical of a coach who quit on his team in midseason.

edog24
01-18-2011, 08:08 AM
This whole thing just makes me sad. It seems as though this entire staff's intentions is to be a be band-aid solution to get us back to 0.500 or close to it.

Once we endured that for 3-5 years, then it's time to get serious about winning again and land some quality coaches. Right now these guys just seem like used up leftovers.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Context like taking the 13th ranked D and making it the 30th ranked D with essentially the same personnel?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1998_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1999_roster.htm

Not quite. Take a look at the defense those two years. Note in particular that Chris Doleman and Roy Barker, who combined for 27 sacks in 1998, were not on the 1999 roster. Kind of hard to replace that kind of production, no? The seondary was also significantly altered, most notably missing All Pro Merton Hanks.

Like I said, you have to put these things in context.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 08:15 AM

I think you are confusing Mora Jr. and his successor in Atlanta, Bobby Petrino.

bowtown
01-18-2011, 08:16 AM

When did he do that?

ColoradoBuff
01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
no thanks....would have rather had McDermott or the old Carolina DC that is now Green Bay's DL coach.

mkporter
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Being a coordinator is kind of like being a QB...you get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure (or perceived failure). A coordinator can only call the plays and coach the players he is given. it is up to the players to execute. People say, "well, I'm not that impressed with the numbers of Mora's D in San Fran, therefore he isn't that good." But look at the the players he had to work with. It's easy to become a rock star coordinator like, say, Marvin Lewis when you have Hall of Fame level talent on your defense. As a counter example, look at Mike McCarthy. His San Fran offense was ranked 32nd in the league right before he got the Green Bay job. He's obviously proven his offensive acumen with the Packers. It helps to have Aaron Rodgers to work with at QB instead of Alex Smith. People don't put these things in their proper context. Mora Jr. is obviously very highly thought of across the league. Maybe there is a reason for that?

Valid points for sure, and I hope that there is a reason he is apparently so well thought of. I just haven't seen much evidence that he's a particularly good candidate for the job. I'm not predicting failure for him here, just can't see why some people are so strongly in favor of the hire.

Rascal
01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I think you are confusing Mora Jr. and his successor in Atlanta, Bobby Petrino.

Maybe, but I'm 100% sure he said he would quit on them in midseason if his dream job in Washington opened up.

Interviewer: If it ever works out, if there's an opening, and you're available, we want you to coach the Huskies.

Mora: Well, I really have a lot of respect for Ty, and I know he'll do a great job. But if he ever decides to move on, and get in the NFL or you know, go back to Notre Dame or whatever, if that job's open you'll find me at the friggin' head of the line with my resume in my hand ready to take that job.

Interviewer: If you're available.

Mora: It doesn't even matter if I'm available.

Interviewer: So if you just won the Super Bowl, and it's available, you're there?

Mora: I'd be there

Interviewer: You're there, OK.

Mora: Dewey, I promise you that. Now, I want to see Ty succeed, and I want to see that program succeed. But if he decides at some point that he's ready to move on and they want me, I will be there. I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run, I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle.

Interviewer: So, are you saying ...

Mora: You know, it's funny, and I mean that, and I'm dead serious, the further I get away from it the more I'm drawn to it. You know, that's the job I want, so...

Interviewer: You would leave the Falcons for that job?

Mora: Absolutely.

Interviewer: Wow.

Mora: As I'm sitting here, I'm looking at a Huskies helmet.

baja
01-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Maybe, but I'm 100% sure he said he would quit on them in midseason if his dream job in Washington opened up.

Interviewer: If it ever works out, if there's an opening, and you're available, we want you to coach the Huskies.

Mora: Well, I really have a lot of respect for Ty, and I know he'll do a great job. But if he ever decides to move on, and get in the NFL or you know, go back to Notre Dame or whatever, if that job's open you'll find me at the friggin' head of the line with my resume in my hand ready to take that job.

Interviewer: If you're available.

Mora: It doesn't even matter if I'm available.

Interviewer: So if you just won the Super Bowl, and it's available, you're there?

Mora: I'd be there

Interviewer: You're there, OK.

Mora: Dewey, I promise you that. Now, I want to see Ty succeed, and I want to see that program succeed. But if he decides at some point that he's ready to move on and they want me, I will be there. I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run, I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle.

Interviewer: So, are you saying ...

Mora: You know, it's funny, and I mean that, and I'm dead serious, the further I get away from it the more I'm drawn to it. You know, that's the job I want, so...

Interviewer: You would leave the Falcons for that job?

Mora: Absolutely.

Interviewer: Wow.

Mora: As I'm sitting here, I'm looking at a Huskies helmet.

I want to change my vote now. Pass.

mkporter
01-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Mora will do just fine.

Defense Stats (Points):

Just looking at his years as a DC, I'm not sure where you got these numbers, and maybe I'm wrong, but these are the #'s I got on NFL.com, and footballoutsiders.com for those that care.:
Year PTS YDS DVOA(Weighted)
99: 30 28 31
00: 28 29 22
01: 9 13 11
02: 18 14 24
03: 21 13 20

TonyR
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
no thanks....would have rather had McDermott...

Again, you don't find it at all funny that you wanted the guy the Eagles fired over the guy who was the Eagles first choice to replace the guy they fired?

2KBack
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1998_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1999_roster.htm

Not quite. Take a look at the defense those two years. Note in particular that Chris Doleman and Roy Barker, who combined for 27 sacks in 1998, were not on the 1999 roster. Kind of hard to replace that kind of production, no? The seondary was also significantly altered, most notably missing All Pro Merton Hanks.

Like I said, you have to put these things in context.

Mayeb, maybe not. I can't pretend to remember the kind of scheme he was running in 1999 vs. 1998. What we can do is look at the results of his 9 years as HC and DC. The one good stat I've seen is that he seems to produce turnovers, which is great. If he comes here I hope he does that. As you said though, is that the product of the talent he had, or being a good coach? Over that 9 year period Jim Mora has had various different talent levels on the three teams for which he was a major coach. No matter the talent he has either been mediocre or bad. Nolan showed us what a good coordinator can do with suspect talent, before McD started sticking his nose in it.

LetsGoBroncos
01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that every DC/Head Coach tandem can work differently. Fox will be helping with the defense too so the two of them combined could be good

2KBack
01-18-2011, 08:40 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that every DC/Head Coach tandem can work differently. Fox will be helping with the defense too so the two of them combined could be good

That's a saving grace, but it doesn't make me feel much better. Fox said in one of those pressers that he isn't micromanaging, he will let the coordinators do their job. I like that in a Head Coach, but not if he brings lame coordinators.

LetsGoBroncos
01-18-2011, 08:44 AM
That's a saving grace, but it doesn't make me feel much better. Fox said in one of those pressers that he isn't micromanaging, he will let the coordinators do their job. I like that in a Head Coach, but not if he brings lame coordinators.

I agree, but I'm just saying Fox is going to have a hand in the defense. He isn't going to tell Mora to run whatever defense he wants, they will be on the same page

2KBack
01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I agree, but I'm just saying Fox is going to have a hand in the defense. He isn't going to tell Mora to run whatever defense he wants, they will be on the same page

I have to admit, a lot of my apprehension about the DC probably is residual from the last like 12 years or so. I'm so used to having the new shiny DC come in and fail under HC with no clue about defense. Fox could be the difference...and all of my complaining will be for naught.

We will see

LetsGoBroncos
01-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I have to admit, a lot of my apprehension about the DC probably is residual from the last like 12 years or so. I'm so used to having the new shiny DC come in and fail under HC with no clue about defense. Fox could be the difference...and all of my complaining will be for naught.

We will see

I hear ya. Bottom line is our defense won't be awful. It will at least be middle of the road, and if Tebow turns out to be a really good QB we have the pieces on offense

illbroncsfn
01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Surprised we have not heard any Dick Jauron sentiment...

BroncosMT
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
i am surprised we haven't tried to get anyone from the Steelers D.....they always have a good defense....why aren't we trying to pick their brains a bit....maybe because they run a 3-4 but they have been solid.

Tombstone RJ
01-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Mora will do just fine.

Defense Stats (Points):

If you ask me, that's wildly inconsistent. One year the defense is ranked high, the next year it's ranked low... why?

If you average it out, his defenses rank 11 overall which is not great, but certainly better than what the Broncos are used to.

BroncoInferno
01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
If you average it out, his defenses rank 11 overall which is not great, but certainly better than what the Broncos are used to.

LOL 11 is in the top third of the league...how is that not great?

2KBack
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Mora will do just fine.

Defense Stats (Points):

Where did these stats come from....they are all wrong. Starting at the bottom:
2010: Mora wasn't in football
2009:HC Seattle Seahawks , Defense ranked 25th in points, 24th in yards
2007-8: Secondary coach
2004-2006: HC Atlanta Falcons, D ranked 14,16,21st in points.
1999-2003: DC SF 49ers, D ranked 30, 28, 9, 18, 21st in pts
1997-98: Secondary Coach

Are you making stuff up or what?

Tombstone RJ
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
LOL 11 is in the top third of the league...how is that not great?

If you consider it great, fine. I don't. I consider being a top 10 defense a very good defense and a top 5 defense a "great" defense. Again, Mora's defenses are all over the board so it's hard to predict exactly what kind of effect he will have on the Broncos defense.

Tombstone RJ
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

This is just not impressive to me. Also, I'll stick with my opinion that Mora's defenses were all over the board ranking wise. He had one good year where the defense was ranked in the top 10, other than that, just kinda all over the place...

UberBroncoMan
01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
**** to the no.

Ratboy
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

It's John Fox stats.

worm
01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I still hate Mora Jr for his comments after the cheapshot that Lynch took from the Falcons in 2004.

John Lynch suffered a broken bone above his tailbone when Atlanta receiver Brian Finneran blocked the safety 30 yards away from the play during the Falcons' victory Sunday in Denver.

Lynch was yelling toward the Atlanta huddle as he limped off the field.

Falcon Coach Jim Mora's response: "What goes around comes around."

Maybe hate is too strong. However, I think Mora is a prick and would prefer not to see him on the Broncos sidelines. Kinda long to hold a grudge...but hey, I still hate the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants and 49ers for the SB losses.

mkporter
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
It's John Fox stats.

So the thread could be titled, "Do you want xxxx for your DC?" and your answer would be yes, because you think Fox will know what is what. If Mora gets hired, that's pretty much what I'll be hoping.

listopencil
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
It's John Fox stats.

Then why did you type "Mora will be fine" before you posted those stats? John Fox is our Head Coach. If they think they can go with a meat puppet at the DC position and get the same results as Fox, then the Bronco don't need to hire a DC. This would indicate that the FO has made its first big mistake.