PDA

View Full Version : Report: Panthers hire McDermott

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41123930/ns/sports-player_news/

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Panthers have hired former Eagles DC Sean McDermott for the same position in Carolina.

I was luke warm on him. I know a lot of you wanted him but maybe the fact that the Eagles had the 21st ranked scoring defense and had the worst red zone defense in the league this year (worse than ours, even) will assuage those concerns.

bendog
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I was unsure. As you say. Beside's he's dog killer tainted.

gunns
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm very disappointed. He could have brought some "Jim Johnson". His turnover ration was great. If Rivera wanted him you know we missed out.

Steve Prefontaine
01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

I was luke warm on him. I know a lot of you wanted him but maybe the fact that the Eagles had the 21st ranked scoring defense and had the worst red zone defense in the league this year (worse than ours, even) will assuage those concerns.

Well that sucks. I wanted McDermott. He runs the attacking style defense that I want to see in Denver.

Here are some other numbers. The Eagles were top 5 in forcing turnovers this year and top 10 in sacks.

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Apparently we're now interviewing Mora. I personally hope we take advantage of this opportunity to look at the many other playoff teams that were just eliminated to try and scalp their coaches.

frerottenextelway
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
So, where do we go from here? Any rumors out there?

boppool
01-17-2011, 03:37 PM
So, where do we go from here? Any rumors out there?

Since I haven't heard any other names, It's Jim Mora's almost a sure thing. He isn't exactly garnering attentions as McDermott was.

frerottenextelway
01-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Since I haven't heard any other names, It's Jim Mora's almost a sure thing. He isn't exactly garnering attentions as McDermott was.

I think the eagles are interested in Mora

illbroncsfn
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I think Mora Jr is still possibly in play for the vacant Eagles DC position

gunns
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Apparently we're now interviewing Mora. I personally hope we take advantage of this opportunity to look at the many other playoff teams that were just eliminated to try and scalp their coaches.

I'd like to check out Keith Butler

boppool
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I think the eagles are interested in Mora

Well, even if he gets hired by Iggles, I won't be terribly disappointed.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Isn't everyone's defense an attacking defense? Is there a coordinator that says he likes to sit back and let the offense do what they want? All these DCs say the same things.

OCBronco
01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I like Mora just fine as DC. As for McDermott, it looks like we may have dodged a bullet on that one: http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/1/16/1938706/the-book-on-sean-mcdermott

Chris
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
We got burned regardless of what you think of Mcdermott. I hope we find someone better than Mora.

Steve Prefontaine
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Isn't everyone's defense an attacking defense?
No. Iíve never heard anyone say that Denver really gets after the QB and forces mistakes. Iíve never watched the Eagles, Steelers, Ravens and said, ďGee, thatís the same defensive gameplan Iíve seen Denver execute years.Ē

Is there a coordinator that says he likes to sit back and let the offense do what they want? All these DCs say the same things.
People lie. See: McDaniels, Josh.

OrangenBlueOhio
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Tom Jackson!

ColoradoBuff
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
well that sucks....i wanted McDermott.

TonyR
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Reports last night from the NFL Network said McDermott was in contract talks with the Denver Broncos about their defensive coordinator opening after interviewing with new coach John Fox.

Fox announced eight members of his coaching staff, including several members of his staff in Carolina, but did not announce a defensive coordinator.

Mora will interview tonight with the Denver Broncos, according to Fox Sports' Jay Glazer.

Mora is among three candidates who have been indentified for the Eagles opening, along with Eagles senior assistant and secondary coach Dick Jauron and former Arizona Cardinals coordinator Billy Davis.

Jauron remains scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns for their vacancy. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Dave Wannstedt is also expected to interview. Wannstedt resigned as the Pitt coach under pressure. He was a head coach in the NFL with the Bears and Dolphins.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/McDermott_hired_in_Carolina.html#ixzz1BKuzTqNC

Mile High Shack
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
I think I'd be ok with waiting a few more weeks and get the assistant DC from Green Bay to be our new DC, can't think of his name

baja
01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I think Mora Jr is still possibly in play for the vacant Eagles DC position

Remember when we and another team were interested in a coach or free agent we knew we were likely to be the one that signed him. What happened?

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM

hes a good coach. Those problems were mostly from injuries to his defensive players.

Premier-Ace55
01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Trust me there are alot of good coaches and coordinators out there even if it's not the sexy pick we just need to carefully look with this d coordinator and get it right. We need some one who is a good teacher fundamentally sound and can get creative with bringing pressure and changing coverages he doesn't need to a superstar well known person. Also we need to upgrade the talent. In my opinon there more good coaches than elite players thats the harder part.

SpringStein
01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I think I'd be ok with waiting a few more weeks and get the assistant DC from Green Bay to be our new DC, can't think of his name

You mean Trgovac?

zdoor
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Kinda disappointed. Like the Eagles schemes but I think Fox will make a good decision on D regardless. It is what he knows best...

HooptyHoops
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I just couldn't believe McDermott was on the open market....but, I do trust the Fox to get a could DC!

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
It was reported a couple days ago he was already negotiating here...what happened? Didn't he also work for Fox? I would have thought we had the inside track but his D's performance this year statistically at least doesn't look that good so I wasn't sure what to think of him.

Premier-Ace55
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I just couldn't believe McDermott was on the open market....but, I do trust the Fox to get a could DC!

I mean is he that good? Philly was like ranked 12th both in 2009 and 2010 now I know that Philly had some injuries this year but what about last year. I mean he seems up and coming and I like him but it's not like its Buddy Ryan or Dick Lebeau or something they were a little above average both years he was the d coordinator. We tried and we didn't get him but we'll get someone good.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I think it's time to see if Joel Colier wants out of Kansas City.

Hamrob
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I like Mora alot. Two years ago he was a hot HC candidate. Where did he go wrong? He accepted the HC position in Seattle.

He was the assistant HC/secondary for 2yrs with Seattle and did a good job. He interviewed with WASH and was offered the HC job following the 2007 season...but turned it down (because he went to the UW and liked Seattle).

The buzz was out there for Mora and he would have been given a chance for his choice of jobs. He then took over the Hawks as HC in 2009...and they were devestated with injuries...they go 5-11 and he's canned in favor of Pete Carroll. The guy was given 1yr there as HC and gets the axe. I remember there were alot of folks who thought he got a bum deal in Seattle.

He was a heck of a DC in San Fran which is why he got hired as HC for Atlanta.

The guy would be an absolute steal...if Fox is able to sign him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_L._Mora

GoBroncos84
01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
You mean Trgovac?

He is the guy I am hoping we get now. In his 6 seasons as the Carolina DC his defense ranked 8th in the league over that span. His last two seasons have been as D-line coach for the Packers, who play a 3-4 under Dom Capers and have been very successful. So I would think his past experience and success with the 4-3 and his recent experience and success with a 3-4 make him a great option. Plus his relationship with Fox. I'm also interested in Dick Jauron if the Eagles don't make him their DC. Mora would probably be the third option

Chris
01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I think with Fox at HC we can afford to groom someone that is promising but doesn't yet have DC experience. Find the next great DC.

baja
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
In Montrose's thread it's reported Fox said we are close to signing a DC and the fan base will be excited when we see who it is.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd like to check out Keith Butler

who's he?

orange skier
01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
"His last two seasons have been as D-line coach for the Packers, who play a 3-4 under Dom Capers and have been very successful. So I would think his past experience and success with the 4-3 and his recent experience and success with a 3-4 make him a great option. "

I think the better choice is Kevin Greene, linebacker coach for the Packers.......wow.........that boy is intense. He'd get us a defense that wouldn't wear down in the fourth quarter.

Rascal
01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I really don't want Mora. I'm not sure why anybody wants him. Or does nobody remember his stunt in Atlanta?

The MVPlaya
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Is anyone actually surprised?

Lmao nobody is coming to Denver.

WolfpackGuy
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Bob Slowick isn't available?

He's the one that started this whole sh*tshow.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM

So, they'll go without a DC? That sucks.

Homer Simpson
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

You really come across as an odious cretin.

Why do people not like Mora?

Baba Booey
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I was enticed by the turnovers they caused, but the scoring numbers and the red zone number speak for themselves.

serious hops
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
In Montrose's thread it's reported Fox said we are close to signing a DC and the fan base will be excited when we see who it is.

We're getting Dick Le Beau? **** yes! Way to be, Coach Fox!

baja
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
We're getting Dick Le Beau? **** yes! Way to be, Coach Fox!

Or Maybe Bo Derek

http://www.leninimports.com/bo_derek_gallery_main.jpg

broncswin
01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
dave wanstead or mike singletary

Broncoman13
01-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I think we are going to end up with Mora. Still not sure how I feel about that. Dude did well enough at DC to be named a HC... Twice!

TheReverend
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

I would go with this, considering there's good defenses left in the playoffs and want to start poaching assistants from whoever gets dropped this weekend (hoping it's Pitt and GB on the outs), but Fox will probably want someone to run HIS defense and want to go with someone he has personal experience working with or a long relationship with.

We'll see

SoCalBronco
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I think we are going to end up with Mora. Still not sure how I feel about that. Dude did well enough at DC to be named a HC... Twice!

Not happening, bro. Coach Fox said he was close to hiring a DC the fans would be excited about. :)

titan
01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Post thinks its Mora as DC

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764

That One Guy
01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
My problem with McDermott is the same issue I had with Fewell as a HC candidate... they just took over their respective units within the last two years. Any good they're currently doing is likely just a carry over from the guy before them - both of who were quite well respected. You really never know the impact one guy is having when so many teams have no interruption between coaches. It seems the players really make the difference yet the coaches either pay or reap the rewards for the performance.

That said, I know nothing about Mora, but I'd probably prefer him over someone learning the job for the first time.

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Post thinks its Mora as DC

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764

Yesss, most likely not then!

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Yesss, most likely not then!

I agree. The press has been wrong on everything lately.