PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Gervais takes hilarious jabs at actors who can't deal

Chris
01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12205469

Of course now dickheads like Harvey Weinstein will do their best to make sure he's never in a movie again.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Well I am sorry I missed it seriously. I think Hollywood should grow a set or something. Dude is funnier than they are. If they wanted milquetoast toe the hollywood bull**** line, Ricky Gervais is never going to be that guy. Anybody got a place I can see a reapeat. I would love to hear his jokes. Normally these ceremonies are boring.

Chris
01-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I'll be looking for a YouTube highlight reel.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 08:24 AM
well I don't really get why there are so upset? Comedians are often a bit more brusque then just some actor repeating lines. Evidently they don't mind if they are openly ridiculed in acts in some comedy club, but not to a bigger audience on TV. It isn't like there wasn't truth in what he said. that's why it was funny. Robert Downey Jr should get over himself, he's lucky he's gotten the 37 2nd chances he's gotten. He needs to learn to laugh at the fact that he screwed up a lot.

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I like Gervais and I appreciate him thumbing his nose at the Hollywood elite. They asked him to take the gloves off this time and he did. That said, I'm never a fan of comedy that is entirely based on tearing others down. I think barring him from movies is stupid and just as petty, but I thought it was a mean spirited performance and not all that funny.

chawknz
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Here's the full opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA

Mile High Shack
01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
I didn't watch the golden globes, mostly because I have a penis, but I did watch the opening monologue this morning and laughed my ass off...freakin' funny as usual

Gervais is one funny dude

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
I like Gervais and I appreciate him thumbing his nose at the Hollywood elite. They asked him to take the gloves off this time and he did. That said, I'm never a fan of comedy that is entirely based on tearing others down. I think barring him from movies is stupid and just as petty, but I thought it was a mean spirited performance and not all that funny.

fair enough. they are reshowing the whole thing here in about 30 minutes. I will see the performance and then make a judgement from more than an article.

Mr.Meanie
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure if there's anything funnier than watching some overpriveledged actors who take themselves too seriously have to sit there with a smile pasted on while a comedian mercilessly rips on them - at their own self-indulgent awards show. Hilarity ensues.

We DVR'd it just to fast forward through all the lame crap and watch Gervais, who is as close to a comedic genius as there is.

Rohirrim
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
De Niro gave the speech of the night, ripping into the HFPA whose whole purpose, like he said, is scamming free tickets, holding award shows and getting their pictures taken with celebrities. The whole thing is a bad joke and Gervais treated it that way. What's not to like. ;D

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Here's the thing though...

I bet if he went after Mel Gibson like this they wouldn't have any problem with it.

It's funny though. Everyone knows about these people and their demons because they are public figures. If I had these kinds of skeletons I would love for a comedian to make light of them to take the edge off.

Kaylore
01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Here's the thing though...

I bet if he went after Mel Gibson like this they wouldn't have any problem with it.

He almost did. He said on Conan he was going to open the show dressed as Hitler and be doing the salute. Then when predictably no one laughed or even booed he was going to say "too soon?" And then say "well this is the last time I borrow an outfit from Mel Gibson.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
He almost did. He said on Conan he was going to open the show dressed as Hitler and be doing the salute. Then when predictably no one laughed or even booed he was going to say "too soon?" And then say "well this is the last time I borrow an outfit from Mel Gibson.

actually he does make a comment about Mel in the opening. something about Scarlett being beautiful and Jewish and Mel told her, he's obesessed.

opening is funny, but a occasionally awkward.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Why does Christian Bale look like a hippy? (and you know he's English so he probalby thought Ricky was funny).

chawknz
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Unemployment hair.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey Peg Bundy won an award. I like her dress. maybe because its Bronco orange. ;D

colonelbeef
01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll be looking for a YouTube highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k38cqDYqb4g

Beantown Bronco
I loved him. Then again, I love watching all those Comedy Central Roasts. He's made for those types of things.

colonelbeef
Why does Christian Bale look like a hippy? (and you know he's English so he probalby thought Ricky was funny).

He was funny, english or not.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Watchin it now, rebroadcast. Wish I could fast forward through it tho. I think his intro was funny, but the audience reaction sort of flattened it. Full of drunken celebs with no humor about themselves.

Pillars of the Earth or that Kervorkian thing should've won...stupid globes...;D

gunns
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
A bunch of smug people who think they are above it all and who think jokes about them going to jail are cruel because they are picked on. They say the "paparazzi" is unfair they just want to do their job. Well when you do drugs and bring it out in public it has nothing to do with your job. Don Rickles used to do the same thing and was quite popular. They may be some great actors but they've never learned to laugh at themselves. Downey, please.

Beantown Bronco
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Bingo.

It's like they say in sports: if you don't want to see the other team celebrating and taunting, don't let them score.

If you don't want Gervais (and shows like "The Soup", etc.) to make fun of you, don't commit crimes and take drugs 24/7 and stop making crappy movies.

It's pretty simple really.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
A bunch of smug people who think they are above it all and who think jokes about them going to jail are cruel because they are picked on. They say the "paparazzi" is unfair they just want to do their job. Well when you do drugs and bring it out in public it has nothing to do with your job. Don Rickles used to do the same thing and was quite popular. They may be some great actors but they've never learned to laugh at themselves. Downey, please.

Besides, I still think Robert DowneyJr should apologize to the English for mangling Sherlock Holmes. Tho, I know I am in the minority on that one, I really thought it was an overthe top oh lets see how much cgi we can do in a redo of Sherlock.

Wes Mantooth
01-17-2011, 09:27 AM
It was funny.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 09:29 AM
really the Glee kid beat Scott Caan..I now expect a horse head to end up in a movie producer's bed. just saying, don't be messing with the Godfather's grandson.

Jerry Curl
01-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Gervais was spot on. Funny stuff.

Kid A
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Big Gervais fan myself, but I will agree with you. Not that I feel bad for most of them getting some deserved ribbing like that, but I know he's capable of making similar points in his humor while not coming across quite so viciously.

baja
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Not funny at all. Unnecessary

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Ricky was the only interesting thing in the show. The rest of it was hot air. I didn't get that it was vicious, but the show was overall very awkward. the worst parts were the scripted bits between the actors. the part with Alec Baldwin and JLo was particularly lame, at least as far as what I've seen so far. Beyond the opening, there hasn't been that much from Ricky, though I thought the bit about Bruce Willis being Ashton Kutschner's dad was really funny. The sardonic look on Bruce Willis brought it home.

DarkHorse30
01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
meh. not a fan

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
had anyone noticed that Ian McShane and Al Pacino look a bit like family.. And did Dennis Quaid get some bad plastic surgery, his eyes look off.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry......I thought this was a thread about boxing.

but if you did watch the golden globes you might need a nut check or at least ask your wife if you can have them back.

Gort
01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
I loved him. Then again, I love watching all those Comedy Central Roasts. He's made for those types of things.

i saw Norm MacDonald on one of those roasts and he was absolute genius.

most people in the crowd didn't "get it" though. the other comedians did. Norm was only playing for laughs from the other comedians. very Kaufmanesque.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Personally so far I don't get why the celebs knickers are in knots? If anything this brouhaha strikes me as created to generate any talk about an overbloated boaring self congratulatory tv fest. If the celebs were offended, its likely because they don't like having their one of many nights of hey look at how great we are injected with anything that diminishes them. I will say the Steve Carell intro from Ricky was very funny. and I like Steve Carell and Tina Fey. they were funny.

UberBroncoMan
01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
This was brilliant and spot on. Unfortunately he did it in front of the wrong audience so he has to deal with the repercussions.

Beantown Bronco
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM

most people in the crowd didn't "get it" though. the other comedians did. Norm was only playing for laughs from the other comedians. very Kaufmanesque.

Yup. You must be talking about the Bob Saget one. Loved it.

DenverBrit
01-17-2011, 10:32 AM
A bunch of Hollywood hacks and self important drunks at a show meant to applaud them are ridiculed by someone who sees them for who they are.

Many of us have paid good money to see some of the crap many of these hapless actors, producers and directors put out.

Gervais apparently has also seen their work and police reports. Ha!

The next host will be a sycophant.

Wes Mantooth
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Unnecessary are self promoting award shows. So sorry they got their feelings hurt.

GoBroncos84
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Gervais was brilliant, and the sensitivity of the celebrities made it that much funnier. I hope he continues to host, gloves off, for the foreseeable future.

DenverBrit
01-17-2011, 10:38 AM

You saw Sherlock Holmes too? I agree ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Rickt Gervais wont get barred from movies for making fun of people, he wont get them because a lot of his movies dont make money :)

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
what is it with all these big shouldered dresses? Are we in for a return of bad 80s fashions?

Chris
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
He knew it was over when he ended with "And I'd like to thank god for making me an atheist."

Archer81
The Golden Globes were on last night?

:Broncos:

Mile High Shack
what is it with all these big shouldered dresses? Are we in for a return of bad 80s fashions?

I'm just glad to know we have our own fashioniste here on the mane

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I actually think think it was foolish for them to bother showing them during the playoffs. Actually I would prefer it if they stopped airing all the award shows and just post the best and worst dresses on line with the results. The speeches are dull, the shows are awkward even when someone is funny.

Beantown Bronco
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I recently started pegging my pants. It's only a matter of time before it's back baby.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm just glad to know we have our own fashioniste here on the mane

Well, you will thank me when it prevents our guys showing up on the field with leg warmers and sparkly crap on their uniforms. For them these huge padded shoulders might work though. ;D

theAPAOps5
01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I recently started pegging my pants. It's only a matter of time before it's back baby.

Which means the 90's aren't far behind. Time to start practicing tight rolling my pant legs!

Drek
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
This is what happens when the American public shows no appreciation for the greatest comedic genius post-Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks.

He found his audience in the UK and now you have people like Gervais who grew up on him bringing that same acerbic wit back with them while our own U.S. comedians tend to lean towards the "dick and fart joke" variety.

Real thin skinned society as a whole now.

Kid A
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Ha, yes I remember that. Everyone was just one upping each other with how filthy they could get and Norm goes up dead panning off note cards with cheesy one-liners. So great.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Now DeNiro gets it. He's funny. This audience just doesn't get it. I love DeNiro. (probably also because we share a birthday, a few decades apart, but same day).

Gort
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Now DeNiro gets it. He's funny. This audience just doesn't get it. I love DeNiro. (probably also because we share a birthday, a few decades apart, but same day).

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1487415_o.gif

gunns
01-17-2011, 11:48 AM

I love DeNiro too and had no doubt he'd get it. Why? Because he doesn't parade his **** in front of the public. He wants privacy, he gets privacy.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 12:00 PM
ok I just finished watching the whole thing. Very little was actually that offensive. The audience reaction reminds me of that whole awkward Uma-oprah thing at the Oscars with Letterman. The globes used to be vaguely more fun because it wasn't as pretentious as the Oscars, but I think that tide may have changed. I wish they would start televizing the Razzie awards because that would be really funny, seeing stars accept worst acting awards, at least then it would show some sense of humor. There wasn't anything particularly offensive in this that merited such a weird audience, I just think they all took themselves way too seriously. As for the rest of the show, the skits between the presenters were all poorly done because they aren't really funny. Only exceptions being DeNiro which was his own speech and Steve Carrell and Tina Fey. Otherwise pretty dull stuff.

WABronco
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
While introducing Robert Downey Jr - "Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail."

Ownd bitch!

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
As someone who is watching the awards show (and I wasnt ), the audience in tv land loves it. The jokes sound flat to those sitting in the audience but not to those watching it. The only thing I can abuse him on is ripping on Downey jr. when he is there to present an award. There is no reason for that. I liked his monologue and he should now get more work in the US, not less. I am a big Office fan so Gervais isnt new to me. He can host Comedy Central's Roasts if they dont like him in Snobby Land.

24champ
01-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Gervais is freaking funny. I love that he went after everyone, and even Tim Allen was pissed off.

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Gervais is freaking funny. I love that he went after everyone, and even Tim Allen was pissed off.

And Tim Allen being pissed off is just funny. I mean even over here the English commentators were like, if you make a movie about motorcycles with Hogs in the title, you should probably expect a little mocking. And DeNiro made a reference to his hog or something so I don't really get why Tim Allen, a comedian, is affronted. His film catalogue reads like a B movie reference library. his best films are the Toy Story films and Galaxy Quest (in which both he plays a cheeseball character).

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM

The more that unfolds about the shooter in Arizona it reminds me of this timeless film clip, DeNiro nails this as he does in all his movies.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e9CkhBb18E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e9CkhBb18E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
I hate these shows with a passion, and I hate most of the stars even more. The only reason I was even paying attention is because my wife was watching it.

They constantly engage in over-the-top hyperbole to describe their buddies. I saw one producer of "The Social Network" refer to the director as "a national treasure" and the script as a "triumph of humanity". Give me a ****ing break.

The reality is that these people take themselves WAY too seriously. The network pans the camera as an award has just been announced, and some of the "artists" in the audience are welling up in tears of faux-admiration, acting like the winner found the cure for cancer or something.

Kudos to people like Gervais, DeNiro, etc for not taking themselves too seriously. To the rest of the artists...go act and do what ever **** you do and rake in millions...but if you engage in douchebaggery...well you're a public figure and will be called to carpet...DEAL WITH IT.

Oh and just because you made a decent flick, doesn't make you "amazing" or "brilliant" or "a national treasure"...it means you made a movie that an idiot working slob such as myself paid to see/rent/purchase. That's all. Nice acting, broski.

chawknz
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Apparently they are NOT having him back next year. No big shock there, though.

bendog
01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I just hope he didn't say anything about Anne Hathaway and "bareback."

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
anyone gonna watch the biggest joke of them all--the grammy's? I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about the finalists for the best pop album and the candidates were like Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart and some other fossils... I was like WTF?

The Grammys--just say "no."

24champ
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think Ricky Gervais wanted to host the Golden Globes again. Given what he said on Conan, it sounded like he wanted to go all out and move on to other projects in his career.

During last year's Golden Globes, before the show had even ended, Gervais was invited to host in 2011. However, last night he didn't get such offers. He thinks that's a clue that the prospects of him hosting for a third consecutive time are doubtful.

"That's ominous, isn't it?" he asked. "So I probably won't be here next year."

He then added that if he is invited back, "I'll go (expletive) mental."

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/ricky-gervais-says-he-probably-wont-host-golden-globes-next-year-01-17-2011

JJJ
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure if there's anything funnier than watching some overpriveledged actors who take themselves too seriously have to sit there with a smile pasted on while a comedian mercilessly rips on them - at their own self-indulgent awards show. Hilarity ensues.

We DVR'd it just to fast forward through all the lame crap and watch Gervais, who is as close to a comedic genius as there is.

Exactly this.

The man is just hilarious. Probably the sharpest wit out there right now.

TheReverend
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Which means the 90's aren't far behind. Time to start practicing tight rolling my pant legs!

Sweet! I knew there was a reason I saved all my Soundgarden t shirts!

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Sweet! I knew there was a reason I saved all my Soundgarden t shirts!

No joke, I saw someone with a discman at the gym last week.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I never miss Golden Globes

baja
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Unnecessary are self promoting award shows. So sorry they got their feelings hurt.

I love to laugh as much as the next guy. But saying you have to help a respected older gentleman off the toilet and help him find his dentures or outing John Travolta and Tom Cruise as gay men serves no one, is not funny and harms many people. Pushing the envelope is one thing but he went too far. IMO

baja
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
He knew it was over when he ended with "And I'd like to thank god for making me an atheist."

That was actually his funnest line of the night.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I love to laugh as much as the next guy. But saying you have to help a respected older gentleman off the toilet and help him find his dentures or outing John Travolta and Tom Cruise as gay men serves no one, is not funny and harms many people. Pushing the envelope is one thing but he went too far. IMO

Uh-oh hit a nerve huh ? ;D

baja
01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Uh-oh hit a nerve huh ? ;D

I wondered who was going to take that soft ball I served up. I had you high on the list. ;D

Miss I.
01-17-2011, 02:58 PM

oh for goodness sakes. really the joke about someone being elderly is offensive? He made a crack about the Sex and the City Girls too. He was tweeking the cosmeticized noses about thier obsession with age and looks. And the Tom Cruise thing is an open discussion in Hollywood. I worked at Paramount 10 years ago and it was openly discussed there, Tom Cruise being gay. He was tweaking the Hollywood gossip mill. In the end, the fuss being made is way more than what he actually said.

bendog
01-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Travolta's gay? Can I have his wife?

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess hiring Lisa Lampanelli is out of the question for next year.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
This is California we're talking about, folks.

Everything is offensive...everyone's ego must be pampered and soothed...don't say anything that might hurt someone's feelings, even if its true and they're an adult.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
oh for goodness sakes. really the joke about someone being elderly is offensive? He made a crack about the Sex and the City Girls too. He was tweeking the cosmeticized noses about thier obsession with age and looks. And the Tom Cruise thing is an open discussion in Hollywood. I worked at Paramount 10 years ago and it was openly discussed there, Tom Cruise being gay. He was tweaking the Hollywood gossip mill. In the end, the fuss being made is way more than what he actually said.

That's better, now, I won't have to call you Miss Cross-I ;)

crawdad
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM

I would say that's probably true!

enjolras
01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
This is California we're talking about, folks.

Everything is offensive...everyone's ego must be pampered and soothed...don't say anything that might hurt someone's feelings, even if its true and they're an adult.

Oh come off it. It's Hollywood, and just like any rich and rather insulated community they all have a higher sense of self-worth than they deserve. You'd have the same reaction if he did this at the NFL awards ceremony or even the US Olympic team banquet. Stardom, in anything, tends to come with tremendous ego.

Don't try to transplant that to the whole of California. California isn't the bastion of hurt feelings you want to make it out to be. It's a nice place, that's full of nice people. I hate it when people tear the place I love down (Denver), and it's kind of crappy to do the same to the good people of California as well. They're just unfortunate enough to have to host those giant and inflated egos that make up Hollywood.

listopencil
01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

The whole "Tom Cruise and Travolta being gay" thing has been thrown around on comedy shows for a while now. Off the top of my head, last night's Family guy had Travolta in a fantasy alternate ending to Grease, becoming nervous at the thought of cuddling with his female co star. Also on Family Guy was Travolta in a wedding promising to "hold her penis and stuff" or something like that in a previous episode.

South Park had an episode that made fun of Scientology that had Travolta and Tom Cruise locking themselves in a closet. For much of the rest of the episode, people kept wondering aloud why they wouldn't come out.

baja
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Not so much offensive as it wasn't that funny. He was going for shock value which I find to be lazy humor.

ghwk
01-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Oddly enough the one line that pissed me off more than anything else came from DeNiro when he said thank god he worked in a profession that paid enough so that his kids could go to private school. As a public school supporter I kind of want to tell him to F off for that one.

baja
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Oddly enough the one line that pissed me off more than anything else came from DeNiro when he said thank god he worked in a profession that paid enough so that his kids could go to private school. As a public school supporter I kind of want to tell him to F off for that one.

I like DeNiro's work alot but he was kind of a douche his whole time on stage.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-17-2011, 06:41 PM

As if there aren't enough reasons to tell those degenerates to F--k off... like having bimonthly award shows for recognition of their great contributions to society, for instance. I will say that I can appreciate the ironic humor of a limousine liberal stoking class envy from the rank and file by publicly thumbing his nose at the utopia that is public education.

Homer Simpson
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Robert Downey is cool and a good actor but he is one of many who came across as a precious cretin last night! Lol

OrangeSe7en
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
A bunch of Hollywood hacks and self important drunks at a show meant to applaud them are ridiculed by someone who sees them for who they are.

Many of us have paid good money to see some of the crap many of these hapless actors, producers and directors put out.

Gervais apparently has also seen their work and police reports. Ha!

The next host will be a sycophant.

Maybe not. Gervais has now generated a "what will he say next" aspect to all of this. In the end, its a TV event and advertisers want viewers. I guess, at the same time, the show doesn't work if blow-hard actors decide to show up, but they're probably too in love with themselves to stay away.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Robert Downey is cool and a good actor but he is one of many who came across as a precious cretin last night! Lol

Depends on your definition of cool.

From 1996 through 2003, Downey was arrested numerous times on drug-related charges and went several times through drug treatment programs unsuccessfully, explaining in 1999 to a judge: "It's like I have a loaded gun in my mouth and my finger's on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gunmetal." He also explained his relapses by claiming to be addicted to drugs since the age of eight; his father was giving them to him as he was also an addict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Downey,_Jr.

OrangeSe7en
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
BTW, one of the funniest things about RDjr last night was how he gets made fun of, acts offended, but then he goes on to make a joke about women sleeping with him, which seemed really lame in comparison to the introduction Gervais gave him.

eddie mac
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Gervais is quality.

Chris
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Gervais is quality.

In the UK public figures get torn apart. Hollywood just isn't used to it.

StugotsIII
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
On a night when celebrities filed into a room to pat each other on the back once again for having great lives, it was nice to see someone take them all down a peg or two.

Clockwork Orange
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM

Probably. How about Jeff Ross instead? ;D

Gervais is awesome. Sooooo sorry he ruined that little self-congratulatory event by acting a like a comedian.

bombay
01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Who is ricky gervase?

It's continually amazing that people pay attention to crap/people like this. Sounds like and epic douchebag obsession.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Wait a minute, what's wrong with choosing private education for your children? There's not a chance in hell that I'd consciously send my kids to the cesspool of a public school system where I live.

hookemhess
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ntdn6.gif

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Not so much offensive as it wasn't that funny. He was going for shock value which I find to be lazy humor.

Your age is showing. He had major cajones to say some of those stuff. Sure you have heard about Downey jr., but he did it as a comedian and while it was at the wrong place, it was funny as hell.

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 10:22 PM

I was conversing with someone about public v private and the subject of how much per kid the avg for public school is compared to private. Is there a rough figure people generally accept as what it costs per yr to educate say the avg 10th grader in public school?

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Your age is showing. He had major cajones to say some of those stuff. Sure you have heard about Downey jr., but he did it as a comedian and while it was at the wrong place, it was funny as hell.

Hmmm Robert Downey Jr jokes are sort of old. I mean we were making those around LA back 10 yrs ago. So just very unoriginal. Now the jokes about the Jolie movie i though were very good. It's more current and edgy because its taking on a real issue that is clouded. Everyone knows Downey had a drug problem.

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM

My wife is a teacher and if you know how bad the LAUSD is, you would send your kids to private school or move. Maybe you can support their union who has their teachers with free health care and no deductible at the doctor's office and the kids are graduating at a less than 50% clip. I am glad there are rich people to be able to send their kids to private school so their "public school" money stays in the system. I mean, we here in California are obligated by law to give 40% of the state's budget to schools. How can they work on education with such a small percentage of our budget. The HORRRAAAA! BTW, my wife works in Orange County and we pay over $1k a month on our health care and $20 co-pay. Not all teachers get the life of Riley in California when it comes to health care.

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I was conversing with someone about public v private and the subject of how much per kid the avg for public school is compared to private. Is there a rough figure people generally accept as what it costs per yr to educate say the avg 10th grader in public school?

Depends. Are we talking about LAUSD 10th grader? If so, what year of 10th grade are we using as a scale. ROFL!

baja
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM

I don't know I always thought ballsy is one thing and clever humor is another. Sometimes they can be the same but they were not last night JMO. He was all shock & awe but not that funny.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM

It's at least 10k per year. At least, that's what the government says.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Isn't that great?

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Hollywood is vengeful though unless he has a lot of fans i could see him getting black balled.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't know I always thought ballsy is one thing and clever humor is another. Sometimes they can be the same but they were not last night JMO. He was all shack & awe but not that funny.

Dude, it's Hollywood. They are the most arrogant, degenerate, above-the-law, high-off-their-ass, drunk-as-a-skunk, self-congratulatory, flamingly in-the-closet, and hypocritical group of people the world has ever known. They were gathered to give themselves awards for acting... just like they do for the Emmy's, the People's Choice, the MTV Movie Awards, the Academy Awards, and so on and so forth. They desperately deserved every bit of that beat down. And by beat down, I mean pointing out the blatantly obvious without embellishment. Too bad it won't happen again.

baja
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Dude, it's Hollywood. They are the most arrogant, degenerate, above-the-law, high-off-their-ass, drunk-as-a-skunk, self-congratulatory, flamingly in-the-closet, and hypocritical group of people the world has ever known. They were gathered to give themselves awards for acting... just like they do for the Emmy's, the People's Choice, the MTV Movie Awards, the Academy Awards, and so on and so forth. They desperately deserved every bit of that beat down. And by beat down, I mean pointing out the blatantly obvious without embellishment. Too bad it won't happen again.

I beginning to think you don't like actors. ;D

Dr. Broncenstein
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM

I loved Paul Newman. We wouldn't have agreed much on politics, but that guy walked the walk. And he was Cool Hand Luke.

JJJ
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Hmmm Robert Downey Jr jokes are sort of old. I mean we were making those around LA back 10 yrs ago. So just very unoriginal. Now the jokes about the Jolie movie i though were very good. It's more current and edgy because its taking on a real issue that is clouded. Everyone knows Downey had a drug problem.

Everything comes back into style. With all his recent successes it is nicely retro to bash on RDjr again.

vancejohnson82
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
i tried do this for a living and the #1 thing you find out is to not make fun of those in power

they just crush you

OABB
01-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Actors are terrible people. They are attention starved and narcissistic( can never ****ing spell that word). I say we go back in time when actors were lower than prostitutes in society. Good times.

baja
01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Actors are terrible people. They are attention starved and narcissistic( can never ****ing spell that word). I say we go back in time when actors were lower than prostitutes in society. Good times.

What's wrong with prostitutes?

Dr. Broncenstein
01-17-2011, 11:28 PM

No kidding. It's an honest profession.

DHallblows
01-18-2011, 12:25 AM
No kidding. It's an honest profession.

Also the oldest.

cutthemdown
01-18-2011, 01:48 AM
It's at least 10k per year. At least, that's what the government says.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Isn't that great?

And if I could ask another question? Does anyone know how much the govt says the avg private hs costs?

cutthemdown
01-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Only the famous ones.

KevinJames
01-18-2011, 02:17 AM
who knew the omane had such sensitive pansies, I really don't see what the big deal is hes clowning on actors that deserve to be made fun of cmon man.......

WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

ol#7
01-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Its not like he made fun of Josh McDanies so get over it baja!

Oh he made jokes about California! Oh the humanity!

This thread is seriously lacking in manhood, and I just wasted 30 inutes reading it. Time to go watch the view.

Miss I.
01-18-2011, 05:26 AM

This thread is seriously lacking in manhood, and I just wasted 30 inutes reading it. Time to go watch the view.

hmph, I personally enjoy my lack of manhood. ;D Besides, did you see the title, it's not like it was deceptive about the topic. though I suppose you couldve thought it was about acting done on men's soccer teams I suppose.

baja
01-18-2011, 05:55 AM

Get over what, thinking someone is not that funny? Gee I'll try but I might need some therapy.

So it took you 30 minutes of reading to come to the conclusion this thread was beneath your manhood. You're a quick study mancho man.

DenverBrit
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe not. Gervais has now generated a "what will he say next" aspect to all of this. In the end, its a TV event and advertisers want viewers. I guess, at the same time, the show doesn't work if blow-hard actors decide to show up, but they're probably too in love with themselves to stay away.

I think you're exactly right. Now that the dust has settled and the press hysteria has waned it seems that few if any of the 'guests' were offended to the degree reported.

I hope he's back and while they're at it, have him host the Oscars too.

Hollywood takes itself too seriously and are deserving of frequent ridicule. Gervais is one of the funniest and original comedians around.....a lot more talented than some of the self important hacks he mocks.

More please!

DenverBrit
01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

I think he meant lawyers. ;D

OABB
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Only the famous ones.

The famous ones just get away with and can afford a posse to adore them.

Gort
01-18-2011, 01:24 PM

actors are idiots. they are paid to pretend to be somebody they are not and to speak words that somebody else wrote for them. a hundred years ago, actors were rightfully though of in the same regard as prostitutes.

if we didn't have TVs in our houses constantly pushing the notion that the entertainment industry was the most important industry in the history of the world, we wouldn't even know the names of these people.

Rohirrim
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I want my own posse. :pity:

HorseHead
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
"Baja"-I think there's a "Matlock" marathon on TNT tonight, you might want TiVo it....

Mile High Shack
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I want my own posse. :pity:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/8/18/1282145598437/insane-clown-posse-006.jpg

Bronco Vixen
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM

So happy to see this thread!
We did the same thing since I would basically watch a marathon of the home shopping network if he were hosting. He truly is one of the funniest humans on the planet right now. His animated podcasts on HBO are gold.

The fact that he interrupted a bunch of Hollywood blowhards and know-nothings from self-congratulatory backslapping was brilliant. Plus, since when did it become a crime to make fun of that dolt Tim Allen? Who is actually a notorious a$$Hole. It is utter folly that of all humans, it is this collection of buffoons that would take themselves so seriously. YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ACT. Dressing up in ball gowns to see you gets an award for being the best at MAKE BELIEVE. If they can't laugh at themselves, who can?

And yes Miss I., there was something tragically wrong with Dennis Quaid's face. We let out a collective "oh no" when those puffy, creepily distorted features shot quickly across the screen. Shockingly - yet mercifully - there was no camera "revisit" to his face to confirm.

Chris
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
actors are idiots. they are paid to pretend to be somebody they are not and to speak words that somebody else wrote for them. a hundred years ago, actors were rightfully though of in the same regard as prostitutes.

if we didn't have TVs in our houses constantly pushing the notion that the entertainment industry was the most important industry in the history of the world, we wouldn't even know the names of these people.

hey it ain't one industry. we video game people are generally ok right now (some epic douche here and there).

JJJ
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
So happy to see this thread!
We did the same thing since I would basically watch a marathon of the home shopping network if he were hosting. He truly is one of the funniest humans on the planet right now. His animated podcasts on HBO are gold.

The fact that he interrupted a bunch of Hollywood blowhards and know-nothings from self-congratulatory backslapping was brilliant. Plus, since when did it become a crime to make fun of that dolt Tim Allen? Who is actually a notorious a$$Hole. It is utter folly that of all humans, it is this collection of buffoons that would take themselves so seriously. YOU GET PAID TO PLAY ACT. Dressing up in ball gowns to see you gets an award for being the best at MAKE BELIEVE. If they can't laugh at themselves, who can?

And yes Miss I., there was something tragically wrong with Dennis Quaid's face. We let out a collective "oh no" when those puffy, creepily distorted features shot quickly across the screen. Shockingly - yet mercifully - there was no camera "revisit" to his face to confirm.

Great post.

Proof that acting is not a credible profession. Tom Arnold.

And the shear quantity of these award shows is rather frightening. What industry sits around and gives themselves so many awards?

Chris
01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Great post.

And the shear quantity of these award shows is rather frightening. What industry sits around and gives themselves so many awards?

One that uses celebrity as a means of self promotion. Having people care about stars sells movie tickets.

Missouribronc
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Great post.

I rather liked True Lies. But you have one hell of a point.

Beantown Bronco
01-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Ummmm, the NFL blows them out of the water. They give out multiple awards every damn week.

Fed Ex Air and Ground Player of Week
AFC and NFC Rookie of the Week and Year
MVP awards
Pro Bowl awards
All Pro Awards
All Madden Awards
All Iron Team

And that's just off the top of my head and missing a ton I'm sure.

baja
01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Ummmm, the NFL blows them out of the water. They give out multiple awards every damn week.

MVP awards
Pro Bowl awards
All Pro Awards
All Madden Awards
All Iron Team

ROTY

DROTY

OROTY

Pepsi player of week, O & D

Steve Sewell
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
My wife is a teacher and if you know how bad the LAUSD is, you would send your kids to private school or move. Maybe you can support their union who has their teachers with free health care and no deductible at the doctor's office and the kids are graduating at a less than 50% clip. I am glad there are rich people to be able to send their kids to private school so their "public school" money stays in the system. I mean, we here in California are obligated by law to give 40% of the state's budget to schools. How can they work on education with such a small percentage of our budget. The HORRRAAAA! BTW, my wife works in Orange County and we pay over $1k a month on our health care and $20 co-pay. Not all teachers get the life of Riley in California when it comes to health care.

The thing that disgusts me is that my tax dollars actually go to my joke of a school district while I pay tuition for private school. We are by no means rich either...we choose to make the sacrifice so our kids can get a real education.

24champ
"Baja"-I think there's a "Matlock" marathon on TNT tonight, you might want TiVo it....

Think he'd rather watch Golden Girls...

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID34432/images/golden_girls.jpg

Missouribronc

MVP awards
Pro Bowl awards
All Pro Awards
All Madden Awards
All Iron Team

But they don't have an award show to hand out those awards, where everyone stands around awkwardly and then someone says something funny about their failed personal lives...

It would be like if every Tuesday, the NFL got their best players together, and Ricky Gervais broke out the, "Our next presenter was last week's offensive player of the week, has 8 1,000-yard seasons and has rushed for slightly more touchdowns than he has kids, ladies and gentlemen, Travis Henry."

Miss I.
01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
eh, the NFL does not telecast 3 hour long ceremonies that often nor spend 2 hours prior to these events on the red carpet. No, the entertainment industry not only has about 10 - 20 televised entertainment show at a minimum (Emmys, grammys, oscars, globes, AFI, BFI, Globes, MTV Music and Movie award, CMA, etc, etc, etc), but there's all the international events like Cannes, etc. Seriously, they kick the sports industries butt when it comes to overglorification.

Chris
01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Cannes and Sundance serve a purpose.

They look like parties (and sure there is a decent amount of it) but they're really where smaller movies go to find distributors. It's constant wheeling and dealing. It's a giant networking opportunity for smaller filmmakers. My brother is in independent film and went there last year for that very purpose.

Sundance is the same thing for American movies.

On a separate note

I grew up acting (mainly theatre, some voiceover and a few small movies... one **** big movie that I won't mention). I can attest to many actors being driven by acting because they don't have a strong sense of self - it makes you a better actor! That's the reality. If you know yourself you're much more likely to be self aware which makes acting harder. I was certainly narcissistic and socially vacuous as well. I was also a damn good theatre actor if I say so myself. I never really went for the career (not really sure why) but I'm somewhat glad. I've been forced to think a lot about myself and realise that 1) a healthy life is a happy life regardless of success and 2) getting out that self indulgent vacuum that is acting and actors was great for me. Real people are socially sensitive and interesting. I'm not going to lie... I occasionally wish I could go for it... but it's a total crap shoot and there are many other professions that arguably do more for society.

I won't hate on acting as a profession so much as the personality traits that tend appear with people that are good at it. Good actors bring human performances. Most of my favourite movies are carried by great acting. I've been moved by good, invisible acting.

/rant off

broncocalijohn
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM

MVP awards
Pro Bowl awards
All Pro Awards
All Madden Awards
All Iron Team

We are talking TV award shows. When did you see Orton except his Fed Ex award this year? Big difference. Sports have the ESPYs and I know LA has one for local talent and the Pro Bowl for football.

PRBronco
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Cannes and Sundance serve a purpose.

They look like parties (and sure there is a decent amount of it) but they're really where smaller movies go to find distributors. It's constant wheeling and dealing. It's a giant networking opportunity for smaller filmmakers. My brother is in independent film and went there last year for that very purpose.

Sundance is the same thing for American movies.

On a separate note

I grew up acting (mainly theatre, some voiceover and a few small movies... one **** big movie that I won't mention). I can attest to many actors being driven by acting because they don't have a strong sense of self - it makes you a better actor! That's the reality. If you know yourself you're much more likely to be self aware which makes acting harder. I was certainly narcissistic and socially vacuous as well. I was also a damn good theatre actor if I say so myself. I never really went for the career (not really sure why) but I'm somewhat glad. I've been forced to think a lot about myself and realise that 1) a healthy life is a happy life regardless of success and 2) getting out that self indulgent vacuum that is acting and actors was great for me. Real people are socially sensitive and interesting. I'm not going to lie... I occasionally wish I could go for it... but it's a total crap shoot and there are many other professions that arguably do more for society.

I won't hate on acting as a profession so much as the personality traits that tend appear with people that are good at it. Good actors bring human performances. Most of my favourite movies are carried by great acting. I've been moved by good, invisible acting.

/rant off

Omg I must know!

broncocalijohn
Think he'd rather watch Golden Girls...

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID34432/images/golden_girls.jpg

He thinks the Golden Girls women are too young for him to gawk at.

Chris
Omg I must know!

I was 12. My line as kid eating ice cream didn't make the final cut anyway.

http://moviesoftheday.com/upload/covers/45836/knock-off-cover-3.jpg

I do regret not auditioning for Gavroche in Les Miserables because this douche kid I acted with who sucked at life auditioned and got to tour around Asia with them. Anyways stop talking about acting you're making me insecure all over again.