PDA

View Full Version : dyer was down

peacepipe
01-16-2011, 11:35 PM
<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/VqkAEWVNj6I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

i thought the ruling was correct as well but eitherway figured it may be worth while.

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Correct ruling or not, it's a terrible rule that a player who is clearly taken down, but just happens to have a body under him, isn't considered tackled.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't say that wrist is clearly down it looks like the base of the hand is down but I don't know about the wrist

schaaf
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Correct ruling or not, it's a terrible rule that a player who is clearly taken down, but just happens to have a body under him, isn't considered tackled.

I agree that needs to be changed

peacepipe
01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
it was his wrist,you can see it slide alittlle just before he catches himself. he actually has to lift up his arm in order to put his hand down & push himself back up.

hookemhess
01-17-2011, 12:17 AM
The hell was the deal with the music?

broncocalijohn
01-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Exactly, most plays you can state that the player below is part of the field. On the play, there is a difference of a side of a wrist being down and someone putting their hand down to hold themselves up.

Taco John
01-17-2011, 12:40 AM
To me, the runner thought he was down too. He was told to keep running. I think the better team won that game, but I wish they would have gotten that call right.

bap454
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
The hell was the deal with the music?

It clearly demonstrates the tragedy of the events. Even more tragic is the fact that they havent gotten over the fact that they LOST!

peacepipe
01-17-2011, 01:22 AM
To me, the runner thought he was down too. He was told to keep running. I think the better team won that game, but I wish they would have gotten that call right.

bad coaching cost oregon that game. I loved it when went for on 4th & goal but they take the points they win.

NUB
01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
I really could not believe they let a NCAA championship slide on such a call. Then again, I can't believe the NCAA championship is governed by a bunch of 1's and 0's and statisticians either.

Doggcow
01-17-2011, 01:54 AM
What I'm most infuriated about with this play...

30 flags would have flown if the D-End lit that ****er up right as he stood up.

NUB
01-17-2011, 02:13 AM
What I'm most infuriated about with this play...

30 flags would have flown if the D-End lit that ****er up right as he stood up.

This mentality is actually what led to a Buccaneers touchdown a few years ago when John Lynch love-tapped a receiver instead of obliterating him.

ColoradoDarin
01-17-2011, 05:39 AM
They should have ended the play when everyone thought he was down, similar to an in the grasp or forward momentum being stopped.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Looks like the side of his ankle hit the ground. I'd be outraged if I cared...:)

Broncoman13
01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Yup the real issue is if anybody would have nailed him they would have been flagged for a personal foul the defense needs to be taken care of as well with the rules focusing on big hits. The right call would have been to whistle the play dead... and if necessary explain it off as an "inadvertent whistle".

Jay3
01-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't agree that his wrist was down. In the first example (OSU), it was the back of the wrist, the one holding the ball. In the Auburn example, his hand is spread out on the ground, and his "wrist" is only the heel of his hand.

And the music is intended to convey tragic failure on the part of Oregon.

Lebronco
01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Video evidence was not enough to overturn the call on the field. It was a 50-50 call, I believe the call could have gone the other way (Dyer called down) and they still would not over turn it based on the video evidence.

brncs_fan
01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Arguments such as these would be pointless if tacklers today actually wrapped their guy up and held onto them until the whistle sounded instead of trying to turn everything into a highlight real.

Garcia Bronco
01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't agree that his wrist was down either.

BroncoDoug
01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Bunch of whiny Oregon fans, maybe they should of stopped them the next 3 or 4 plays and not let them get to the 1 yard line to set up the GW FG

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/VqkAEWVNj6I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

i thought the ruling was correct as well but eitherway figured it may be worth while.

The Arkansas player is clearly not down. The back of his hand is on the ground, if it was the back of his wrist, the RBs entire forearm would have been on the ground too.

Go ahead and try to put all of your wait on the back of your wrist (top side of the hand). You can't unless the entire forearm is laying on the ground too. If you want to argue that where the back of the hand and the top front of the wrist meet is all wrist, then I say BS. IMHO, it can be argued that it's the back of the hand. Indeed, the back of the hand must be laying flat to even suggest that any part of the wrist is touching the ground.

Pony Boy
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Not enought evidence unless we get a clear shot from "The Grassy Knoll".

ro_50
01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
As an Auburn fan, do you really think Oregon's defense was going to stop Auburn on that final drive. They had them off balanced on that drive and would've gone down and kicked the FG regardless.

They were moving the ball well on that final drive. Hell, Dyer sliced through the middle on the last run and almost scored a TD, that defense was gased.

Whoever had the ball last was going to win. And Auburn had it. Two even teams and it came down who had the last possession.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm so glad Auburn won the national title game. Duck the ****s...

schaaf
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
there were 84 more plays in that game.

One play never tells the story

JJJ
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree that needs to be changed

No it doesn't. Tacking means you put the man on the ground which is the objective. If he rolls on top of you or someone else that is your problem. Leave the damn rules alone.

misturanderson
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
No it doesn't. Tacking means you put the man on the ground which is the objective. If he rolls on top of you or someone else that is your problem. Leave the damn rules alone.

I disagree entirely. How is the defensive player supposed to know that no part of the offensive player's body touched the ground as he is tackling him? The offensive player was tackled. Because of some incredibly fortuitous circumstances he is then able to get back up and start running.

It seems to me that it goes against the spirit of the game wherein a defensive player does everything that he should have to do to tackle an offensive player, but it doesn't count as a tackle because his shin or forearm didn't touch the ground for a split second.