PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Von Miller?

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
We go into this upcoming season as confused a Defense as their is in Football. The one thing we do need however no matter 34 or 43. We need guys who can hit the QB. Von Miller does this very Well as a OLB in the 34. He also looks fluid in Coverage and Sheds blocks better than his Frame would indicate. Now he is not a 2nd round in the Draft Pick. More Like 10-15. Dropping this far would require the trading teams first next season. This is the only reason I would do it. Should we go to a 4-3 He would become the best Zone Blitzing Sam LBer in the NFL. A matchup Nightmare.

If we stay at 2. DeQuan must be the pick. He is a very valuable Edge Rusher. Much less Bust Potential than Fairly. Yes I know "one Year Wonder" However I find that hard to believe when the kid is a Junior and the #1 rated HS player when he signed. How can you be the #1 Rated HS Player, Then in your 3rd season lead the NCAA in Sacks and still be a one year wonder.

Bronco Boy
01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Well people say he's a one year wonder because he had, you know, one good year. Who cares about high school stats.

Put to your point, Von Miller looked damn good in that bowl game they had.

OrangeSe7en
01-16-2011, 07:01 PM
He's from Texas.

HooptyHoops
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Von Miller was a beast this year and I would love for him to be a Bronco....problem being, I don't watch a lot of college football and I'm definitely not a scout! But, from my eye, I like him much more than the top D prospects, such as Fairly and Bowers...

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
He's from Texas.

A&m

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Well people say he's a one year wonder because he had, you know, one good year. Who cares about high school stats.

Put to your point, Von Miller looked damn good in that bowl game they had.

A guy who is the best hs player in the country then leads the nation in sacks is not a one year wonder he is progressing as expected.

Bronco Boy
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
A guy who is the best hs player in the country then leads the nation in sacks is not a one year wonder he is progressing as expected.

What difference does it make that he was the best hs player in the country? Are you saying that if he was instead just a walk-on that his draft stock should suffer?

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
What difference does it make that he was the best hs player in the country? Are you saying that if he was instead just a walk-on that his draft stock should suffer?

That is exactly what I'm saying

driver
01-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree about Miller well worth taking in the first rnd. He has the size speed and block shedding ability we need. I'm wondering if he has the smarts and leadership skills to play in the middle? Frankly we haven't had anyone there, middle, who has been worth a ___T since Al Wilson got hurt. Also there is another guy Herzlich at B.C. I really like,he's been hurt so might be able to get him in 3rd. I like Miller at the 15th pick or later. So we could trade down and still get him or Paea later. We really need a bunch of teams to go crazy for QB's and leave the good D players for us later in the round.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
That is exactly what I'm saying

pretty silly thing to imply. some of the best players in football are former walk-ons. aka clay matthews.

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
pretty silly thing to imply. some of the best players in football are former walk-ons. aka clay matthews.

What did I imply? If you don't think being a walk on would hurt your draft status you are delisional. It probably hurt. Clays he lasted into the 20

HAT
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Because there are much better LB's that fit Denver's needs NEXT year.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
What did I imply? If you don't think being a walk on would hurt your draft status you are delisional. It probably hurt. Clays he lasted into the 20

HOW you got into college has little effect on where you go in the draft. clay didnt play a long time, he was a scout teamer and backup for a long time in college (which i guess is indirectly related to being a walk-on). nick fairley is probably going to be #1 this year and he is not far removed from community college...scouts care about your measurables and what you achieved in your playing time, not how you were looked at coming out 4 years ago when you were smaller, slower and fresh out of high school.

Bronco Boy
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Why would it necessarily hurt your status? Couldn't it imply that you still had room to grow? A lot of top high school players don't make it in college/nfl simply because they topped out in high school and didn't continue developing.

HAT
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
aka clay matthews.

And 85% of O'mane posters wrote off that entire USC LB class......

Idiots /Mock

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Idiots /Mock

well cushing showed his true colors, and for some reason kubiak had him moved to ILB...but clay is absolutely incredible, no other way to put it.

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Tsiguy good luck with that. It is not real world. A player who has been great at every step is lower risk than one who has been great at one. Remember we are talking degrees

Requiem
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Probably because Von Miller is a one-trick pony.

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 12:01 AM

You've entirely missed his point.

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Idiots /Mock

I was screaming for Maualuga..

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 12:43 AM
I agree about Miller well worth taking in the first rnd. He has the size speed and block shedding ability we need. I'm wondering if he has the smarts and leadership skills to play in the middle? Frankly we haven't had anyone there, middle, who has been worth a ___T since Al Wilson got hurt. Also there is another guy Herzlich at B.C. I really like,he's been hurt so might be able to get him in 3rd. I like Miller at the 15th pick or later. So we could trade down and still get him or Paea later. We really need a bunch of teams to go crazy for QB's and leave the good D players for us later in the round.
He's listed at 6'3" or 6'2" and 243 pounds. I'm confused because I've seen reports listing him as stricktly a 3-4 OLB but that's to small for a 3-4 guy. He's been compared to Elvis Dumervil but this guy's not as big or powerfully built as Doom and I think size/speed wise he is more of a DJ Williams type player. He's got a smaller frame and some reports I've seen so far say he struggles against the run. I should know more about him since one of my daughters is in Texas A&M but I don't watch much Aggie football. One thing that would concern me a bit is that I've seen a few TAMU guys drafted high in the NFL and watched them fail. I'm not sure why but it occurs enough that it's caught my attention in the past. It looks like his 40 time is going to come in around 4.5 and change which is nice speed. I'd prefer a bigger guy if we're going the OLB route. UCLA's Akeem Ayers is much bigger, going 6'4" 255 and he's got the frame to carry more weight which Miller doesn't. Ayers might play at 260-265 or more and if we do take an LB he's the guy I have my eye on. Speed is probably pretty comparable as both are ultra good in pursuit. As a soph Ayers ran back 3 INT's for TD's...a linebacker? I like Miller but I think I'd like him in the 20's somewhere, not as high as #15, where I thinnk we might get Stephen Paea. He's not quite as active a pass rusher as Fairley, but he still had 7 sacks from the DT spot and he's big enough to be either a Casey Hampton type NT or a DT who can penetrate plus stop the run.

enjolras
01-17-2011, 01:04 AM
I was screaming for Maualuga..

I was screaming just as loud:) I was *pissed* that we passed over him.

enjolras
01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
It's interesting.. sometimes you see a player in college and you go "OK, I can just tell that what he does translates to the NFL." Recently I've seen that three times:

Clay Matthews, Maualuga, and Sedrick Ellis.

I'm 2-3 for I suppose:)

Hercules Rockefeller
01-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Because there are much better LB's that fit Denver's needs NEXT year.

In no way, shape, or form should the 2nd overall pick be used on the guy who best fits Denver's needs NEXT year. It better be someone they think they can build around for the next decade, even if that means little/no contribution next season.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
In no way, shape, or form should the 2nd overall pick be used on the guy who best fits Denver's needs NEXT year. It better be someone they think they can build around for the next decade, even if that means little/no contribution next season.
That's why I like Paea, he hasn't even touched his potential yet. Once he does, he might be the Warren Sapp type player in this draft. He seems very grounded as well, not a guy who might go off the reservation if things don't go like he wants them to. How can we not like a 311 pound former rugby player?

OBF1
01-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Lets wait until we hire a DC AND hear from John Fox about what style (type) defense we are going to use instead of assuming or talking out of our ass. Anyway we go either 4-3 or 3-4 we need help on the D line in the worse way. In the 3-4, if our line sucks (like it did this year) does not matter who we get at LB, they will just get buried in the run like they have the past number of years.

I do not give a rats ass if we pick Fairley, Bowers, Dareus or ? a #2, just get someone that fits what we are going to be doing.

PS: Enough already with the rugby player turn Denver DL in the 1st round.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Lets wait until we hire a DC AND hear from John Fox about what style (type) defense we are going to use instead of assuming or talking out of our ass. Anyway we go either 4-3 or 3-4 we need help on the D line in the worse way. In the 3-4, if our line sucks (like it did this year) does not matter who we get at LB, they will just get buried in the run like they have the past number of years.

I do not give a rats ass if we pick Fairley, Bowers, Dareus or ? a #2, just get someone that fits what we are going to be doing.

PS: Enough already with the rugby player turn Denver DL in the 1st round.
You wouldn't like to see Denver trade either up or back to pick up Stephen Paea? Why on earth not? You just made a point of saying how badly we need D-line help. ???

broncogary
01-17-2011, 06:17 AM
well cushing showed his true colors, and for some reason kubiak had him moved to ILB...but clay is absolutely incredible, no other way to put it.

The move to the middle was because of the injury to DeMeco Ryans. It didn't work well and they switched Cushing back to the strong side. Still, Matthews has had a lot more impact at the NFL level.

bendog
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
That's why I like Paea, he hasn't even touched his potential yet. Once he does, he might be the Warren Sapp type player in this draft. He seems very grounded as well, not a guy who might go off the reservation if things don't go like he wants them to. How can we not like a 311 pound former rugby player?

Paea has maxed out his potential physically. It'll be interesting at the combine to see really just how much he can bench and how much he weighs.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Paea has maxed out his potential physically. It'll be interesting at the combine to see really just how much he can bench and how much he weighs.
What makes you think so? In any case, i'm talking about learning to play the game as opposed to his physical measurables. If he stays where he's at physically he's still in great shape but one would think he's got room to grow in other ways being that he's a late arrival to playing football. He says he'll break the record on the bench...the 45 reps he did were right after he'd already worked out, which is nuts. I wish he was 2" taller but he's great with leverage and like Doom I think that's part of it.

misturanderson
01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
It's interesting.. sometimes you see a player in college and you go "OK, I can just tell that what he does translates to the NFL." Recently I've seen that three times:

Clay Matthews, Maualuga, and Sedrick Ellis.

I'm 2-3 for I suppose:)

Matthews and Ellis?

LRtagger
01-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Dont think thats what he meant. Think he meant in next year's draft there will be more LBs that better fit our needs.

rugbythug
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Bump

Kaylore
04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
It's not posted here, but I hated the idea of drafting Von Miller. He seemed like a Vernon Gholston. Then as more info came out and it was clear he wasn't a moron and was more consistent than I initially thought, I am very ok with the pick. I trust the staff more than myself on this, especially with defenders.

worm
04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Not picking Paea is clearly what caused the Footsteps meltdown\Bowlen conspiracy theory.

bendog
04-30-2011, 01:50 PM
too funny. even a bit evil.

rugbythug
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Bump on my train

OBF1
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I didn't say Von would suck did I ???

Funny to read this now, Rep and alot of Rep comments to go around on this thread. Great call rugby.

smoke4815162342
09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Bump on my train

:thumbs:

Man-Goblin
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
We should try to get him.

OBF1
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Use a 3rd rounder on him :thumbs:

broncocalijohn
09-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Sometimes your opinion comes back to haunt you.

Shananahan
09-22-2011, 10:50 PM
It's not posted here, but I hated the idea of drafting Von Miller.
Same here. I openly wished they'd draft A.J. Green at #2 before Miller.

Oh well.

Dagmar
09-22-2011, 11:04 PM
We should try to get him.

No way, he'll be no better than Jarvis Moss.

Perry1977
09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Miller just announced that he is returning to A&M. He likes the idea of playing against the PAC 10, or 12, or 16, or whatever the f*ck it is now.

schaaf
09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Stephen Paea has been inactive first two weeks... Probably a good decision we didn't draft him

Ugly Duck
09-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Why Not Von Miller?

At QB?