PDA

View Full Version : *Official* John Fox Staff Thread

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Some are projected, if something else becomes official, it will change. Post any updates...

HC: John Fox
OC: Mike McCoy
QB: Adam Gase
RB: Eric Studesville
WR: Tyke Tolbert
OL: Dave Magazu
TE: Clancy Barone

DC: Dennis Allen
DL: Wayne Nunnelly
LB: Richard Smith
DB: Ron Milus

ST: Jeff Rodgers

Quality Control:
DEF - Jay Rodgers
OFF - Callahan Rodgers

spdirty
01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Thought this morning I heard Cecil Lammey say that Studes was being retained.

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
thats the latest report, i have him in at RB coach, but with fox' RB coach from carolina coming over, gotta figure out what will happen with boht of them. i think you guys missed the name "studes" in there

bronco militia
01-15-2011, 09:37 PM
The Denver Post is also reporting that former interim head coach Eric Studesville will be retained as the team’s running backs coach for the 2011 season

SoCalBronco
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm hearing Jacob Burney has the inside track at DL and David Gibbs is "under consideration" for Defensive Backs.

;D

Taco John
01-15-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm glad that we're keeping Studesville. I feel like that guy "gets it."

Taco John
01-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm hearing Jacob Burney has the inside track at DL and David Gibbs is "under consideration" for Defensive Backs.

Hilarious!

Effing troll!

bronco militia
01-15-2011, 10:18 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bronco Yoda
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Is this for sure?

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2011, 10:25 PM
What no Ben McDaniels? I didn't think he'd survive the change for obvious reasons but I wonder what a change now does to the progress track Tebow is on. At least we'll have the same OC so it won't be a new system to learn just maybe a different approach to it.

strafen
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Thought this morning I heard Cecil Lammey say that Studes was being retained.That was never in doubt in my mind.
He came thru for us when the team needed him the most.
It makes sense to me the guy will be appreciated...

strafen
01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
What no Ben McDaniels? I didn't think he'd survive the change for obvious reasons but I wonder what a change now does to the progress track Tebow is on. At least we'll have the same OC so it won't be a new system to learn just maybe a different approach to it.

That's not really a loss for Tebow.
Whoever they bring in will have a whole lot more experience, so IMO it will be an upgrade...

strafen
01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm still waiting for the DC to be named...
I wasn't too crazy hearing about the reports Mora might be our DC

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
nice having dragster on ignore, im atleast 95% sure hes bitching about how bad something is going to be.

strafen
01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
nice having dragster on ignore, im atleast 95% sure hes b****ing about how bad something is going to be.

It seems to me 100% of the time you're crying about something, no? :wave:

OBF1
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
nice having dragster on ignore, im atleast 95% sure hes b****ing about how bad something is going to be.

So is strafen aka dragster??? Would make sense since I have both on ignore ROFL!

strafen
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
So is strafen aka dragster??? Would make sense since I have both on ignore ROFL!Considering you never have anything worthwhile reading, I really could care less.
I do remember you replying to a direct quote of me recently, so, I must not really be on your ignore list, huh? :wave:

KipCorrington25
01-15-2011, 11:31 PM

Akron Central needs a QB coach/lunch room monitor and Ben McDaniels is in the final 3 with Clem from the bus depot and Otis the town drunk and he's still under qualified.

Kaylore
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
So is Gase officially the QB coach? I haven't read anything anywhere, but based on his work with the receivers he deserved to at least be retained. He's clearly very good.

strafen
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Akron Central needs a QB coach/lunch room monitor and Ben McDaniels is in the final 3 with Clem from the bus depot and Otis the town drunk and he's still under qualified.LOLROFL!Ha!Hilarious!

i4jelway7
01-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Mora will be the DC

peacepipe
01-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Sean McDermott,former eagles DC,was mentioned on NFL network as the favorite to be our next DC, went as far as to say he is already in contract negotiations. I'm not impressed.
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/01/report-eagles-fire-defensive-coordinator.html

Less than a week after Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said that defensive coordinator Sean McDermott would return in 2011, the Eagles have fired McDermott, according to sources.

McDermott, 36, came under heavy criticism in a season in which the Eagles allowed a franchise-high 31 touchdown passes and had the worst red-zone defense in the NFL

Hamrob
01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Interesting about McDermott...I was reading the comments on Fox in regards to their article about the firing...and most of the people posting about the article...said it was a bad firing. They said that McDermott was used as a scapegoat. Evidently, the injuries were the real issue there. Looks like the Browns are also trying to hire McDermott...but, he is believed to be signing with the Broncos.

From what I can recall...McDermott is/was held in high regard around the NFL as one of the up and coming talents.

I'm o.k. with this.

Cmac821
01-16-2011, 08:18 AM
How many threads do now need to speculated, with little fact, on how the defense will be ran under McDermott

gunns
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Hilarious!

Effing troll!

Good thing I was so busy hyperventilating after reading his post that I didn't have the energy to reply. That was mean, just plain mean.

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Sean McDermott,former eagles DC,was mentioned on NFL network as the favorite to be our next DC, went as far as to say he is already in contract negotiations. I'm not impressed.
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/01/report-eagles-fire-defensive-coordinator.html

Yeah I just heard on NFL countdown that he was favorite to go to either Denver or San Diego!

elsid13
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah I just heard on NFL countdown that he was favorite to go to either Denver or San Diego!

San Diego already hired a DC, so I guess he would have to be position coach if goes there. I really want him in Denver, I like the aggressive defense that he fosters, plus I know him from my college days.

Hamrob
01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
How many threads do now need to speculated, with little fact, on how the defense will be ran under McDermottWhat other threads are talking about McDermott?

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
What about the scouting department? We really need to get new scouts because if you look at our drafts for the past 10 years it hasn't been impressive at all! I hate it when I see teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England have starters and impact players that they pick up in the later rounds and undrafted free agents!

elsid13
01-16-2011, 08:48 AM
What about the scouting department? We really need to get new scouts because if you look at our drafts for the past 10 years it hasn't been impressive at all! I hate it when I see teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England have starters and impact players that they pick up in the later rounds and undrafted free agents!

They are retain all the current scouts and personnel dept. We will see if that is a wise move. But the problem hasn't been the scouts, it the lack of stable defense and offense systems, it is hard to find talent when you keep changing systems.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
They are retain all the current scouts and personnel dept. We will see if that is a wise move. But the problem hasn't been the scouts, it the lack of stable defense and offense systems, it is hard to find talent when you keep changing systems.

they do have some good scouts, you're correct about staying with a system....let's see how well the FO now listens to the scouts.

gunns
01-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't have a problem with McDermmott. He's been with the Eagles for a long time and has coached almost every position on defense. The Eagles defense had the great Johnson so hopefully he leaned A LOT. Since he took over as DC the D overall has been average BUT tops in T/G. Especially since Ryan is no longer available.

Ray Finkle
01-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't have a problem with McDermmott. He's been with the Eagles for a long time and has coached almost every position on defense. The Eagles defense had the great Johnson so hopefully he leaned A LOT. Since he took over as DC the D overall has been average BUT tops in T/G. Especially since Ryan is no longer available.

The Iggles had many injuries on the defensive side. I think McDermmott is a good coach.

elsid13
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Just replace Shanahan with Reid on this article.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20110116_Inside_the_Eagles___Reid_failed_to_give_M cDermott_the_players_to_build_a_top_defense.html

There's a name for it now - "The Andy Reid Reversal."

On Monday, Sean McDermott was coming back as defensive coordinator, the Eagles' head coach said. Three days later, he sat down with McDermott and cut him loose.

Still, Reid's Monday praise of McDermott shouldn't have come as a surprise. For one, he isn't accustomed to immediately shoving his assistants or players into oncoming traffic - unless, of course, they're David Akers.

But Reid's faux support of McDermott more likely had something to do with the big picture.

The much bigger picture.

If Reid were to have slammed the 36-year-old on Monday after the Eagles' playoff loss to Green Bay, then he would have been indicting himself for not giving McDermott the necessary tools to build a dominating defense.

As reasonable as it is to question McDermott and his scheme, a fair assessment would have to include an evaluation of personnel. And injuries aside, the workers were average, at best.

Was it McDermott's fault that the Eagles did almost nothing to replace Sheldon Brown at right cornerback? Was it his fault that top draft picks - defensive end Brandon Graham and safety Nate Allen - suffered season-ending injuries in early December?

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20110116_Inside_the_Eagles___Reid_failed_to_give_M cDermott_the_players_to_build_a_top_defense.html#i xzz1BDadfeUA
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

meangene
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
I like the idea of McDermott much better than Mora! He is absolutely a scapegoat in Philly. After what GB did to Atlanta, Philly doesn't look so bad.

BroncoInferno
01-16-2011, 08:57 AM
McDermott would be a great choice. His stats aren't great in two years as the Eagles DC, but they have had a ton of injuries on that side of the ball. Plus, he's only 36, so he's probably learned a thing a two from the experience. I love his aggressive style. Lots of turnovers.

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah I think he's the best DC out there right now! And I guess this would pretty much assure us that we will be a 4-3 defense!

meangene
01-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah I think he's the best DC out there right now! And I guess this would pretty much assure us that we will be a 4-3 defense!

And blitz like maniacs!

OrangenBlueOhio
01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Where did Ryan end up?

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
We have a LB Coach! Richard Smith who is following Fox from carolina!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81db7243/article/singletary-considered-for-assistant-jobs-with-panthers-vikings

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Also we are in contract talks with McDermott!!!
http://broncotalk.net/2011/01/20490/broncos-buzz/mcdermott-in-contract-talks-with-broncos/

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 09:31 AM
So is Gase officially the QB coach? I haven't read anything anywhere, but based on his work with the receivers he deserved to at least be retained. He's clearly very good.

I'm pretty sure it is official. I read somewhere that he was moved to QB coach to ensure that we were able to retain him because there was a lot of interest in him around the league.

HooptyHoops
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
For sure...I like McDermott, as a couple years ago, like Fox, these were arguably the hottest coaches for their respective positions. I think a change of scenery will do wonders for both of them! Let's get McDermott----way better than Mora!

Inkana7
01-16-2011, 09:44 AM
From what I'm reading, McDermott is like 98% certain to be our DC, which I like, but it also sends strong signals that we're going to become a 4-3 team again.

gunns
01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Where did Ryan end up?

Dallas

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
You clearly haven't been paying attention.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
From what I'm reading, McDermott is like 98% certain to be our DC, which I like, but it also sends strong signals that we're going to become a 4-3 team again.

I think We would be much better off as a 4-3 but what do you guys think about it?

Hulamau
01-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Bottomline its simply easier to buiild and maintain a solid 4-3 team than a 3-4... Its not easy finding the bigger bodies 'that can really play' at DL and LB a 3-4 needs.

Simply more options for rapid improvement with a 4-3 system, though we have invested a good deal in 3-4 over the last two years.

But when you look at it, mostly its Jamal that is a dedicated 3-4 guy. Everyone else is pretty much interchangable between the two systems and going back to 4-3 is a hell of a lot easier than the initial switch to 3-4.

In any event, hope we land McDermott. The eagles had a real talent drain on D both from not reloading well and key injuries and we all know how much that can color and effect the performance of a defense.

We have at least 5 .. maybe 6 ... spots needing an upgrade on D which no doubt will be a big part of the FA/draft focus. I dont think Wink is a bad DC either, he was as much a victim of bad luck with injuries and not having all the tools he needed as McDermott was.

Anyway, 'McD'(ermott) on D sounds about right ;)

eddie mac
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
We have a LB Coach! Richard Smith who is following Fox from carolina!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81db7243/article/singletary-considered-for-assistant-jobs-with-panthers-vikings

Is that Davis and Anderson's coach from last year??? Both are free agents and pretty good players.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
added a few more:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/16/mcdermott-a-candidate-for-broncos-dc-job/6557/

not everything in first post is official, but then again not a lot will be for a few more days

Bigdawg26
01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
You clearly haven't been paying attention.

Paying attention to what??

schaaf
01-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I love the direction this team is headed.

Inkana7
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
added a few more:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/16/mcdermott-a-candidate-for-broncos-dc-job/6557/

not everything in first post is official, but then again not a lot will be for a few more days

Gilhammer (DBs) is a guy I hadn't seen mentioned yet. Fox's CAR secondaries were always aggressive going after the ball. Might be a good fit here.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Speaking of Secondary, was anyone else impressed with Goodman after he came back from his injury?

srphoenix
01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Someone please answer me why I can't start new threads here??? Anyways this is what I was going to post:

McDermott the next Broncos DC?

Finally a guy who might be around for more than one year. Would solidify our team in the 4-3 and has shown success in the nfl. Eagles were ranked #12 in defense this year. I think this would be a great hire for the Broncos, our coaching staff is starting to come together with some big time names and more importantly big time talent.

Links:

http://broncotalk.net/2011/01/20490/broncos-buzz/mcdermott-in-contract-talks-with-broncos/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81db2c4c/article/eagles-fire-dc-mcdermott-who-could-land-in-denver-carolina?module=HP_headlines

illbroncsfn
01-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I am curious as to where former panthers OC Jeff Davidson is landing?

BroncoDoug
01-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Speaking of Secondary, was anyone else impressed with Goodman after he came back from his injury?

I do believe he did a good job when he was finally able to play more then a quarter. But that could also be because we were getting crap play from that position before he came back

schaaf
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
that could be true, If I recall this was really the first season that Goodman had been injured in. Hopefully he can rebound this next year.

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
that could be true, If I recall this was really the first season that Goodman had been injured in. Hopefully he can rebound this next year.untrue he was injured more than not in Miami

mwill07
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
IIRC, McDermott was a candidate for DC here (vs Nolan) when McDaniels took over. McDermott stayed in Philly as he was virtually guaranteed the opportunity to succeed his mentor, Jim johnson.

If he does a good job here, he will be getting head coach consideration fairly quickly, IMO.

Hamrob
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Someone please answer me why I can't start new threads here??? Anyways this is what I was going to post:

Finally a guy who might be around for more than one year. Would solidify our team in the 4-3 and has shown success in the nfl. Eagles were ranked #12 in defense this year. I think this would be a great hire for the Broncos, our coaching staff is starting to come together with some big time names and more importantly big time talent.

Links:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81db2c4c/article/eagles-fire-dc-mcdermott-who-could-land-in-denver-carolina?module=HP_headlines

Actually they were ranked 21st overall on defense. But, that's not bad, considering their list of injuries.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
untrue he was injured more than not in Miami

oh alright I wasn't sure.

Regardless, he should be able to hold the position down for another year.

bronco militia
01-16-2011, 12:14 PM

not at all.....

ghostofjosh
01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Links:

I noticed this too..wont let me start anything new..

Cmac821
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Who knows position coaches enough to do a grading of the current projections with some tid-bits? Because I have no idea what I am looking at outside of studes.

Ziggy
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually they were ranked 21st overall on defense. But, that's not bad, considering their list of injuries.

They were 12th in yardage, and 21st in scoring defense. Despite that, I think he'd be a good fit here. Let him and Fox blend the Jimmy Johnson and John Fox style defenses for the Broncos. It would almost insure that we move to a 4-3 front, which this team is better suited for right now anyway.

Ziggy
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Yes. He looked like the old Goody.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 02:16 PM
They were 12th in yardage, and 21st in scoring defense. Despite that, I think he'd be a good fit here. Let him and Fox blend the Jimmy Johnson and John Fox style defenses for the Broncos. It would almost insure that we move to a 4-3 front, which this team is better suited for right now anyway.

very hard to agree with that given that there is more depth at LB than DL, thus in a 3-4 we would be able to get more of the better players on the field at the same itme

Ziggy
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
very hard to agree with that given that there is more depth at LB than DL, thus in a 3-4 we would be able to get more of the better players on the field at the same itme

I assume by the better players you mean DJ, Ayers and Doom. In a 4-3, Ayers and Doom would be the starting ends, and DJ would more than likely go back to his WLB spot where he had the most success. The 4-3 allows you to cover Doom's weakness against the run better, and it gets all 3 guys on the field at the same time. I don't know that anyone else in our current front 7 that is under contract is really worth working around, do you?

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I assume by the better players you mean DJ, Ayers and Doom. In a 4-3, Ayers and Doom would be the starting ends, and DJ would more than likely go back to his WLB spot where he had the most success. The 4-3 allows you to cover Doom's weakness against the run better, and it gets all 3 guys on the field at the same time. I don't know that anyone else in our current front 7 that is under contract is really worth working around, do you?

doom has shown what he can do at LB, which while he may be more exposed in the run game he is far more effective at pass rushing. ayers is a question mark at both positions at this point.

i dont think at this point it makes a huge difference, the bigger thing now would be picking a scheme and sticking to it. but this team isnt more ready for a 4-3 now than it is a 3-4, we will lose guys like jamal williams and mays may be limited in a 4-3.

Chris
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM

To start a new thread use a short word for the title then go back and use advanced edit to change it.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
doom has shown what he can do at LB, which while he may be more exposed in the run game he is far more effective at pass rushing. ayers is a question mark at both positions at this point.

i dont think at this point it makes a huge difference, the bigger thing now would be picking a scheme and sticking to it. but this team isnt more ready for a 4-3 now than it is a 3-4, we will lose guys like jamal williams and mays may be limited in a 4-3.

Earlier I was reading that something like 15 out of Doom's 17 sacks last year were from being in a 3 point stance. I don't think in Doom's case it matters which defense we're in. He has shown he can rush the quarterback in both

ICON
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Links:

Their defense 12th in yards allowed, third in interceptions, and in the top ten in sacks. Overall the defense was very respectable.

baja
01-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Their defense 12th in yards allowed, third in interceptions, and in the top ten in sacks. Overall the defense was very respectable.

Oh boy another coach somebody else just fired.

ICON
01-16-2011, 03:33 PM
With the hiring of Skipper it's almost a lock that DeAngelo Williams will sign with us if he becomes a free agent He stated that Skipper would have to return to Carolina for him to return as well.

schaaf
01-16-2011, 03:33 PM

It sounds like he is gaining interest from several other teams.

PRBronco
01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FUQgwgo0eHA/S9W_iEDuigI/AAAAAAAADGA/axf1GdlEqIA/s320/Debbie_Downer.jpg

bendog
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM

too damn many threads. that's my new political party "the too damn many threads party"

driver
01-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Feel the same way about most of the free agent's we've signed over the last 5-6 years .:approve:

TonyR
01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Just fyi, I was listening to Philly sports talk radio today. It was mentioned that reportedly some players were complaining about how they were being used, most notably Trent Cole who didn't like that he was being dropped into coverage more than he liked as opposed to rushing the passer.

That being said, I agree that McDermott was something of a scapegoat. They had a lot of injuries, particularly to DB's, and overall they need more talent on that defense.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Just fyi, I was listening to Philly sports talk radio today. It was mentioned that reportedly some players were complaining about how they were being used, most notably Trent Cole who didn't like that he was being dropped into coverage more than he liked as opposed to rushing the passer.

That being said, I agree that McDermott was something of a scapegoat. They had a lot of injuries, particularly to DB's, and overall they need more talent on that defense.

a guy like john fox def wouldnt let a top 3 pass rusher in NFL drop into coverage a lot. i think having a strong HC like him will definitely help mcdermots development as a DC

Cmac821
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
a guy like john fox def wouldnt let a top 3 pass rusher in NFL drop into coverage a lot. i think having a strong HC like him will definitely help mcdermots development as a DC

How would you know what Fox would or would not do? Those sentences are merely thoughts phrased into fact, don't speculate. Sorry in advance if you are in fact, John Fox.

WolfpackGuy
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
They had a lot of injuries, particularly to DB's, and overall they need more talent on that defense.

The Beagles have neglected the LB position for years.

Any team with a decent receiving TE kills their defense.

ICON
01-16-2011, 05:57 PM

Every Jim Johnson protoge has gone on to great things. I think the kid will too one day.

The limited personnel on defense was hit by injuries, to the point where Asante was all that I had left, so let's fire the defensive coordinator.

The front office not-with-standing its "gold standard"

propaganda drive supplements my poor defensive drafts by splurging on
Ernie Sims! So let's fire the DC.

The offense was dismal at critical junctures, too; the offense arguably came up shorter than the defense when the team needed it the most against the Redskins,Chicago,Minnesota and Green Bay .

Sean was Reid's redheaded step-child or redheaded scapegoat.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
How would you know what Fox would or would not do? Those sentences are merely thoughts phrased into fact, don't speculate. Sorry in advance if you are in fact, John Fox.

youre right, a very experienced and successful defensive coach is NOT going to put reigns on a DC who is dropping an amazing, top 3 pass rusher in hte NFL into coverage. makes sense, im sure fox would have no comment on that at all.

this entire forum is speculation, but i think you can use common sense to know this is pretty much fact. if he had dumervil dropping into coverage multiple times per game, would you not see something wrong with that?

SoCalBronco
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Sean McDermott is actually a very good young coach and is very well respected. That would be a terrific hire for this team, much better than Jim Mora, IMO.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
there was talk of jim mora to philly and mcdermot here. hopefully it goes that way.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2011, 06:31 PM

i agree. even though the running game was a mess this season, i think that blame falls more squarely on the shoulders of McD's pass happy offense and the OL not working very well this year.

Steve Prefontaine
01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Firing McDermott was a huge mistake by Philly. It would be amazing if he landed in Denver. We would finally have a DC that focuses on getting after the QB and creating turnovers.

Rascal
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
so what are the current rumors/decided upon positions?

doof
01-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Wasn't Julius Peppers often asked to drop into coverage under John Fox? Case in point, the 99 yard interception return he had against the Broncos a few years back.

Tim
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
the only thing that is close to official is mcCoy at OC, everything else is a denver post rumor or internet speculation.

randomtask
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Julius Peppers and his 6 interceptions when Fox coached him disagree with you.

Edit: Doof beat me to it.

SoCalBronco
01-16-2011, 06:55 PM

OC: Mike McCoy
QB: Adam Gase
RB: Eric Studesville
WR: Tyke Tolbert
OL: Dave Magazu
TE: ??? (No rumors yet)

DC: ??? (Possibly McDermott or Mora)
DL: Jacob Burney
LB: ??? (Possibly Kirk Doll)
DB: David Gibbs

BTW I was just kidding about the defensive position coaches. :)

cmhargrove
01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Earlier I was reading that something like 15 out of Doom's 17 sacks last year were from being in a 3 point stance. I don't think in Doom's case it matters which defense we're in. He has shown he can rush the quarterback in both

And we might pose the question - what happens to Doom's production if you put him next to a disruptive DT like Fairley?

mwill07
01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Special teams? any word on that dude from Washington?

rugbythug
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Personally I think this coaching staff is looking very very good.

BroncoMan4ever
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
And we might pose the question - what happens to Doom's production if you put him next to a disruptive DT like Fairley?

also, what happens with Ayers if he finally gets to line up at the position he is best suited for. sure he was making strides at playing OLB in the 3-4 but i think he can truly flourish as a playmaker as a DE in the 4-3. it would be great to bookend him and Doom.

Cmac821
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
youre right, a very experienced and successful defensive coach is NOT going to put reigns on a DC who is dropping an amazing, top 3 pass rusher in hte NFL into coverage. makes sense, im sure fox would have no comment on that at all.

this entire forum is speculation, but i think you can use common sense to know this is pretty much fact. if he had dumervil dropping into coverage multiple times per game, would you not see something wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with saying nothing if you really don't have any clue what the coach will do.

The forum is for discussing reported facts on various subjects, not for flexing your assumed knowledge. You are suppose to introduce an interesting aspect and discusses or argue it. Your original post leaves nothing to argue for you state as fact.

Think of it as constructive criticism from me to you

TonyR
01-16-2011, 07:43 PM
...when Johnson's cancer was diagnosed in January 2009, McDermott was the natural successor for a head coach that likes to promote from within.

In July 2009, just days before Johnson died, McDermott was named his successor. He adopted his predecessor's aggressive, blitzing style, but his approach was different in many other ways. McDermott liked to tinker with his defense and substitute players in and out during a game.

A few defensive players privately complained about their roles in the young coordinator's scheme. McDermott, though, dealt with a number of significant injuries - six starters were lost at various points during this season - and a young cast of players.

But the defense got progressively worse as each of the last two seasons wore down. Against the Vikings, the unit struggled against third-string quarterback Joe Webb, who was making his first career start. In the season-ending loss to the Packers, running back James Starks, in just his fifth NFL game, gutted the Eagles for 123 rushing yards.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20110116_Eagles_fire_defensive_coordinator_Sean_Mc Dermott.html#ixzz1BGDYUCU0

BigPlayShay
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
What we already know, but official list so far per DenverBroncos Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/Denver_Broncos

Mike McCoy-Offensive Coordinator
Clancy Barone-Tight Ends
Brian Callahan-Offensive Quality Control
Dave Magazu-Offensive Line
Wayne Nunnely-Defensive Line
Jay Rodgers-Defensive Quality Control
Eric Studesville-Running Backs
Tyke Tolbert-Wide Receivers
Additional appointments will be announced when they are completed

schaaf
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
So fox stated that within the next day or two we should have a DC hired?

Killericon
01-17-2011, 10:54 AM

Clancy Barone-Tight Ends

YES. Outstanding.

strafen
01-17-2011, 10:58 AM
So fox stated that within the next day or two we should have a DC hired?That's what I hear too.
Man, that's the one thing that has me on edge...
I'm confident though, Fox will have his stamp on the defense regardless who he brings. That's a good thing for us going forward.

CEH
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
So fox stated that within the next day or two we should have a DC hired?

He said this morning that they are waiting on a verbal commitment. Didn't say from who but as we know Mora or McDermott

2KBack
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Clancy Barone-Tight Ends

I think the offensive line will grow by leaps and bounds with a real coach.

schaaf
01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
What do you guys expect out of Knowshon next year?

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
list updated on first post. still waiting official word on QB coach (gase?) and DC (mcdermott?)

strafen
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Same as last two years. Non-impact average performance...
A good game here another there, and a pulled hammy to go along with it...

Drek
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Breakout season. Magazu is the best OL coach we've had since Gibbs and its highly likely we see some S&T staff turnover who can help solve Moreno's hamstring issues. Coupled with an offensive scheme more conducive to running the football and an appreciation for tandem back work (what suits Moreno best) he'll be poised for a Tiki Barber in '02 type of break out season.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
He said this morning that they are waiting on a verbal commitment. Didn't say from who but as we know Mora or McDermott
Somewhere it was reported yesterday they were already negotiating with McDermott. Was that just a rumor?

schaaf
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Breakout season. Magazu is the best OL coach we've had since Gibbs and its highly likely we see some S&T staff turnover who can help solve Moreno's hamstring issues. Coupled with an offensive scheme more conducive to running the football and an appreciation for tandem back work (what suits Moreno best) he'll be poised for a Tiki Barber in '02 type of break out season.

That is what I'm thinking too, I think with a tandem back approach he will be able to shine and play better than the other back we bring in

Agamemnon
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM

If he can stay healthy, I tend to agree. That's a big if at this point.

Agamemnon
01-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Clancy Barone-Tight Ends

I'm curious as to what exactly Offensive and Defensive quality control coaches do. Do they oversee positional coaches and make sure everyone is technically sound, so the coordinators are free to focus on X's and O's? Very curious.

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Anyone have any interesting info on Dave Magazu? Sounds like a good hire.

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm curious as to what exactly Offensive and Defensive quality control coaches do. Do they oversee positional coaches and make sure everyone is technically sound, so the coordinators are free to focus on X's and O's? Very curious.

per maxbroncos:
Video breakdown, stat/trend analysis, helping out at practice

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
OK I haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone posted this article by Jason Fatlock re: Magazu?

LOL

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/040129.html

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Anyone have any interesting info on Dave Magazu? Sounds like a good hire.

See my post re: Fatlock's Magazu article.

I love this guy already.

Drek
01-17-2011, 11:51 AM

They do all the grunt work, which typically consists of a ton of watching tape, self scouting, etc.. Its the entry level coaching job before you work your way up to positional coach. Very similar to what a "defensive assistant" or "offensive assistant" was used as with McDaniels.

If I recall correctly Jim Bates, Raheem Morris, and Kyle Shanahan all held a similar title at some point with the Tampa Bay Bucs before moving up the ladder. Nice useless bit of trivia there.

PRBronco
OK I haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone posted this article by Jason Fatlock re: Magazu?

LOL

Haha what a pussy. Good thing he never had to play for McD.

schaaf

LOL

hahaha that was awesomeROFL!

Agamemnon
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
They do all the grunt work, which typically consists of a ton of watching tape, self scouting, etc.. Its the entry level coaching job before you work your way up to positional coach. Very similar to what a "defensive assistant" or "offensive assistant" was used as with McDaniels.

If I recall correctly Jim Bates, Raheem Morris, and Kyle Shanahan all held a similar title at some point with the Tampa Bay Bucs before moving up the ladder. Nice useless bit of trivia there.

Ah, so it's just different terminology than I'm used to. Thanks for clearing that up.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM

LOL

WTF, the guy makes his living on football and claims that an old college coach too away his love for the game? What a baby.

BroncoDoug
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Any word on the Special Teams coaches? I hope Burns stays, but Prifer (sp?) needs to go...

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Clancy Barone-Tight Ends
Don't we also need a new video guy? ;D

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 12:13 PM

LOL

What a twerp. I've never heard of Magazu till now, but he just became my new favorite Broncos coach. "Lazy" and "locker room lawyer"... LOL That describes that fat piece of crap to the tee and the best part is he used those words to describe himself! ROFL! What's next...a review on the first chic that told him she wasn't into pompous fatass blowhard mysogynists? Hilarious!

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
What a twerp. I've never heard of Magazu till now, but he just became my new favorite Broncos coach. "Lazy" and "locker room lawyer"... LOL That describes that fat piece of crap to the tee and the best part is he used those words to describe himself! ROFL! What's next...a review on the first chic that told him she wasn't into pompous fatass blowhard mysogynists? Hilarious!

My favourite part is how he got his revenge because Magazu was balding and fat. Unlike all the other hotties working NFL coaching positions.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

I don't like Whitlock, but I think in his own way the article was trying to thank Magazu for delivering a needed butt-kicking.

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
NOT getting sean mcdermott, he just got hired in carolina.

crush17
01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
wtf... that blows.

SoCalBronco
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
NOT getting sean mcdermott, he just got hired in carolina.

damn

2KBack
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Weak! I don't want Mora

TonyR
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Weak! I don't want Mora

He's the favorite to get the Philly job so I don't know who that leaves us with...

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Absolute disappoint.

2KBack
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
He's the favorite to get the Philly job so I don't know who that leaves us with...

Well I liked the McDermott idea mostly because he is a young guy, and
i loved the Jim johnson Defense. Mora is a failed also ran IMO. If we get another young guy who came up in a great system like Pitt maybe, then I will be satisfied.

elsid13
01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
God I hope that doesn't mean Wink comes back or Ryan is in the mix.

peacepipe
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
McDermott is looking to become a HC,IMO. probably knows that he use up alot of time transitioning a team structured for the 3-4 to a 4-3. Carolina already has a 4-3 defense in place, that & considering our track record with dumping DCs every other yr was part of the reasoning IMO.

montrose
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Fox should take SoCal's advice and hire Bob Slowik.

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
At least Baltimore's eliminated, maybe we can raid their D staff? Dean Pees?

peacepipe
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
God I hope that doesn't mean Wink comes back or Ryan is in the mix.Ryan would've been a great pick,but he is already on board with the Cowboys as their DC.

COBronc78
01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Jay Glazer just tweeted that Jim Mora is en route to Denver later today for an interview with Fox.

elsid13
01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Ryan would've been a great pick,but he is already on board with the Cowboys as their DC.

Missed that. And I don't think he that good, his defense have never impressed me and I think he get to much credit because of his father and brother.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Jim Mora is going to kill the John Fox buzz I was enjoying.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Wasn't Trgovac a really hot commodity a few years ago as Fox's DC? I know he's with the Packers now...did he have a falling out with Fox or something?

gyldenlove
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
God I hope that doesn't mean Wink comes back or Ryan is in the mix.

If Wink comes back my head will explode from the anger stroke I will suffer.

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Wasn't Trgovac a really hot commodity a few years ago as Fox's DC? I know he's with the Packers now...did he have a falling out with Fox or something?

Lindsay Jones just tweeted him being a possibility, but can't talk to him until after next week. Wouldn't hurt my feelings hiring someone involved with that Packers D.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Jim Mora is going to kill the John Fox buzz I was enjoying.

Who would you prefer he hire? There aren't really any other big name DC candidates left other than the overrated Rob Ryan who doesn't really fit what Fox likes to do anyway.

EDIT: Guess Ryan is with Dallas now.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Who would you prefer he hire? There aren't really any other big name DC candidates left other than the overrated Rob Ryan who doesn't really fit what Fox likes to do anyway.

EDIT: Guess Ryan is with Dallas now.

Mike Trgovac. And I'd rather have a small-name defensive coordinator than the small-minded, huge butt hole that is Jim Mora.

PRBronco
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Haha I guess this makes sense, I can't imagine it's a very attractive position. Sure you can only go up, but you're getting 2 (3 if Champ stays) players worth talking about, and a front office that you might not have a lot of faith in getting you some players you can work with.

Also the job is cursed worse than the defense against the dark arts position at Hogwarts, amirite guys?

Guys?

boppool
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
McDermott is looking to become a HC,IMO. probably knows that he use up alot of time transitioning a team structured for the 3-4 to a 4-3. Carolina already has a 4-3 defense in place, that & considering our track record with dumping DCs every other yr was part of the reasoning IMO.

Considering his age and popularity, if McDermott were to be successful with us, he'd leave as a head coach in a year or two and we'd back to square one.
I want someone like LeBeau or Jim Johnson type who'd be with us for at least for a while...

Cmac821
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Who knows position coaches enough to do a grading of the current projections with some tid-bits? Because I have no idea what I am looking at outside of studes.

Is any one nice enough or even care enough to do the above. Any thing would great.

and yes I did quote myself

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
adam gase interviewing in dallas for WR spot. may not keep him afterall.

montrose
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Is any one nice enough or even care enough to do the above. Any thing would great.

and yes I did quote myself

I certainly don't enough about assistant coaches to rate them but if you look at their resumes - Stud, Nunnely and Magazu are very well qualified and Barone has a good resume coaching TEs - just didn't workout as an OL coach.

cutthemdown
01-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Isn't Fox a big defensive minded guy? Should we worry as much about d coordinator? I'm just glad McCoy stayed because he knows the players and there could be a lockout. At least they have an idea what the Rb, and WR can do.

Chris
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Why are we getting rid of Gase? Our receiving corps was outstanding last year.

baja
01-17-2011, 05:28 PM

It's more of a case that he is getting rid of us.

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 05:30 PM

all assistants are allowed to interview where they want to go and fox said he would not stop them from taking jobs there.

Wes Mantooth
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Mora Jr. on his way in per Glazer.

Rascal
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM

gyldenlove
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Well the first 2 years as a DC in San Fran were disasterous, they were worst in the league in his first year and 3rd worst in his second on defense. Then it got a lot better and they finished in the top half for the 3 next seasons in defense, including making the playoffs twice.

Cmac821
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I was happy with the previous speclations but this seems to be worse.

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
by "on the way in" he means coming here to interview.

Mr Chatterboodamn
01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
by "on the way in" he means coming here to interview.

actually, that happened today. See http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764.

sounds like it's happening.

srphoenix
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Shanahan never really had a bad OC when he was here because that's what he was good at and knew when to step and who to hire (granted he called the plays), I'm sure fox is similar in that whoever he picks is a guy that runs his style of d and if fox needs to step in and fix it he will. Like the previous poster said, it was more important that we got a good oc since we have a defensive HC

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Mike Trgovac. And I'd rather have a small-name defensive coordinator than the small-minded, huge butt hole that is Jim Mora.

well said sir.

_Oro_
01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Lindsay seems to think Mora will be DC soon.

tsiguy96
01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764

lets pencil in mora as official

tsiguy96
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
DC is all thats left, maybe some additional coaches that dont fill the traditional roles.

strafen
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Fail! ROFL!

Braxton34
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Have they announced our QB coach yet?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
DC is all thats left, maybe some additional coaches that dont fill the traditional roles.

?
Line, Lb and DB have position coaches?

PRBronco
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

:giggle:

strafen
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Have they announced our QB coach yet?
Adam Gase is said to be the new QB coach...

tsiguy96
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
:giggle:

yea i know.

TonyR
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Fail!

Do you know what the term "pencil in" means? The word pencil is used specifically because pencil can be erased. The phrase was actually used almost perfectly in this case because the scenario appeared very likely.

Boomhauer
01-22-2011, 03:49 PM
?
Line, Lb and DB have position coaches?

Nunnely remains the DL coach. Our new DC will fill the last two coaching positions (LB + DB) to suit his/Fox's system.

tsiguy96
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
those were the initial reports, LB and DB are still up in the air but if i were to bet those are the guys.

Boomhauer
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
^^^ Who? ^^^

tsiguy96
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
LB: Richard Smith
DB: Mike Gilhammer

PRBronco
01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
So...what was the deal with interviewing Trgovac? Are they going to bring him in now?

Chris
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
We can't interview him until after the SB because it's not for a HC position.

TonyR
01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Any news? I couldn't find much other than the below info on the Eagles DC search, some of which may be relevant to the Broncos.

...if the Eagles were hoping interview coaches from either the Packers or the Steelers - slated to meet each other in Super Bowl XLV - they will have to wait until Feb. 7 to do so.

They did finally get around to interviewing one candidate. Saints assistant Dennis Allen met with Eagles coach Andy Reid and general manager Howie Roseman for a formal interview at the NovaCare Complex on Sunday. The 38-year-old defensive backs coach flew back to New Orleans later in the day, a team spokesman said.

It is unclear exactly what transpired, but he was not hired, as expected - at least not yet. Allen also interviewed with the Broncos for their defensive coordinator position opening on Friday.

The Eagles still have a number of candidates they have yet to interview. Those names are still unknown, though.

The search could become clearer on Monday as the Eagles are now free to talk with coaches on the Bears' and Jets' staffs with expiring contracts or request permission to talk with coaches signed through at least next season.

Bob Babich, Chicago's linebackers coach and before that their defensive coordinator, could be on the Eagles' radar. Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is a popular choice among Eagles fans, but he is under contract and has said he isn't going anywhere.

More than likely, the Eagles are waiting for at least one assistant on one of the Super Bowl-bound teams. Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac seems to be a perfect fit for the Eagles - he ran a 4-3 defense as the Panthers' coordinator and once coached in Philadelphia. But he has said that he isn't even sure if he wants to go back to being a coordinator.

Green Bay assistant head coach/inside linebackers coach Winston Moss is also another possible candidate, as is outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene. The Steelers' Dick LeBeau is one of the game's best coordinators, but the 73-year-old's contract is up after this season.

He doesn't sound likely to leave Pittsburgh, at least not for the Eagles.

"If I'm in the state of Pennsylvania, I'm going to be in Pittsburgh," LeBeau said after the Steelers' win.

Roseman and possibly Reid are expected to attend Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., on Monday. There will be a host of potential coordinator candidates in attendance.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20110124_Eagles__search_for_defensive_coordinator_ could_expand.html#ixzz1Byku4goH
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Dedhed
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
So...what was the deal with interviewing Trgovac? Are they going to bring him in now?

I was going to start a thread about this, but I didn't want to disrupt the flow of Cutler threads.

I'm sort of hoping that not being allowed to talk to Trgovac for a couple more weeks will make them want to hire Allen. For some reason I have a good feeling about him.

Although, bringing in Trgovac could give us the inside track on landing Cullen Jenkins in FA.

Killericon
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
/Holding onto glimmer of hope that we'll back up a Brinks truck onto LeBeau's backyard.

PRBronco
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
/Holding onto glimmer of hope that we'll back up a Brinks truck onto LeBeau's backyard.

Maybe Floyd talked up Denver to him when they were hanging out in Canton :sunshine:

oubronco
I was going to start a thread about this, but I didn't want to disrupt the flow of Cutler threads.

I'm sort of hoping that not being allowed to talk to Trgovac for a couple more weeks will make them want to hire Allen. For some reason I have a good feeling about him.

Although, bringing in Trgovac could give us the inside track on landing Cullen Jenkins in FA.

That would be a sweet duo to come aboard

TonyR

He'll be a Steeler or retired.

broncolife
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I think our D would kill Dick LeBeau. He might die just from looking at the film from last years D.

yerner
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Mike Trogvac seems like a guy that would be around here for awhile from what I've read. Only 50 years old, yet he doesn't appear to be seeking a head coaching job. That's exactly the kind of coach the broncos should be looking for.

tsiguy96
01-25-2011, 03:34 AM
not official, but the lineup looks complete. waiting official word on DL and DB coaches.

montrose
01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
not official, but the lineup looks complete. waiting official word on DL and DB coaches.

LBs

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/2/b/9/0/NFL_Denver_Broncos_c982.JPG?adImageId=9583630&imageId=6718959

DBs

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bobslowik.jpg

:~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
01-25-2011, 06:07 AM
montrose, this is the john fox staff thread, not the "best positional coaches in broncos history thread". get out of here.

oubronco
01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm not really too enthusiastic about the coaches we got, I just hope they draft very good this year

tsiguy96
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM
updated with accurate DB coach, LB coach was right. coaching staff complete, minus other assistants

TonyR
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
updated with accurate DB coach, LB coach was right. coaching staff complete, minus other assistants

Not that it really matters but are you sure about that offensive quality control name?

montrose
02-03-2011, 10:34 PM
montrose, this is the john fox staff thread, not the "best positional coaches in broncos history thread". get out of here.

lol, Best COORDINATORS in Broncos history. :rofl:

DarkHorse30
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
slowick looks like a cross between Bowlen/Shanahan with the rodent teeth and the tan