PDA

View Full Version : McCoy stays as OC

BigPlayShay
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/26368669902700544

@AdamSchefter
Adam Schefter: Not sure if this beats John Elway on Twitter, but the Broncos retained their OC Mike McCoy, who also could have gone to Clev or KC.

McDman
01-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Idk how I feel about this.

TheProfessor
01-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Not sure how I feel about McCoy as a playcaller, but I like that the offense/terminology will remain consistent.

This will help our line and tebow a lot.

gunns
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
this is very good news for this team. studesville and gase are staying, at RB and QB coach, respectively. really like whats going on right now.

frerottenextelway
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Tebow must have asked for him to stay.

SoCalBronco
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
That will help Tebow somewhat. He's familiar with the terminology and concepts already...it cuts down transition costs...hopefully McCoy can mature as an OC a little bit.

OBF1
01-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Superbowl

schaaf
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I really think they'll develop more of a playbook for Tebow with Fox and McCoy this offseason. I wouldn't be worried about the lack of plays to his strengths at the end of the season.

Kid A
Seems smart to me. Young offense that showed signs of growth late - I like to see them at least giving it a chance at continuity as opposed to overhauling both sides of the ball in a single season. Even if the decide in a year or two that McCoy isn't the answer, you'll have other areas of continuity at that point (defense, ST).

HAT

This.

Homer Simpson
01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Glad that Studesville is staying. McCoy... We'll see. We scored points that's for sure.

thumpc
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
They're adding some zoneblocking while maintaining continuity, brilliant!

thumpc
01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Now Fox can have his way with the defense.

schaaf
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I really like that they're holding on to McCoy

OrangeCrush2724
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I knew that Clevland was heavy for McCoy as OC and Jerron as DC.

meangene
this is very good news for this team. studesville and gase are staying, at RB and QB coach, respectively. really like whats going on right now.

I have to say I do as well. I thought McCoy did a nice job with the playcalling after the first week given he was working with a raw QB, no running game, and knowing he had no defense. Looks like Fox managed to keep Gase while still bringing in his WR coach from Carolina. The offense has some real potential and some continuity there is a good thing. The defense? Blow it up!

bronco0608
three teams including us were interested in McCoy. Not bad.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Continuity is the key here. Also look for the offense to be very different next year while being built on the same foundation. We scored 25 PPG in Tebow's first three starts. I think we're going to be fine on offense.

R8R H8R
01-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Is that true or a typo? Gase was wr coach, I'd like him to stay at that position.

Anyway, let's get Cable as OL coach and then work on the D!

Shoemaker
01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't think it can be underestimated how important some offensive continuity will be for Tebow. While McCoy was certainly questionable as a playcaller in his first few games, and I think the jury's out on him as a whole, I thought he did a good job adjusting his playcalling to fit Tebow's strengths as games went on.

Under Tebow and McCoy the offense actually improved a bit last year. I'll be interested to see how much of McDaniels' scheme McCoy carries over vs. how much he adds his own touch to the playcalling.

Rascal
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I have no problem with that.

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Is that true or a typo? Gase was wr coach, I'd like him to stay at that position.

Anyway, let's get Cable as OL coach and then work on the D!

gase is new QB coach.

crush17
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
This is the best thing for the team right now.

ColoradoDarin
01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Seems smart to me. Young offense that showed signs of growth late - I like to see them at least giving it a chance at continuity as opposed to overhauling both sides of the ball in a single season. Even if the decide in a year or two that McCoy isn't the answer, you'll have other areas of continuity at that point (defense, ST).

This. Really after McCoy's first game and then Tebow's first start his play calling got a whole lot better. The improvement shown in that short time plus his familiarity with Fox already warrants keeping the O coaching staff mostly intact for the next year.

TheReverend
01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
If McCoy is willing to remove Tebow's leash like he did SPARINGLY in the final games in the season, I'm fully on board with this.

If not, Fox needs to speak to him. No QB draws on 3rd and 11.

phibacka31
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
If McCoy is willing to remove Tebow's leash like he did SPARINGLY in the final games in the season, I'm fully on board with this.

What he said^5

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
What is really exciting about all of this is that it shows that Fox has a very different approach than McD, who came in and changed everything, whether it was working or not. It looks like Fox is going to try and keep the good while getting rid of the bad rather than just throwing everything out and starting from scratch. Look for this to continue with how the roster is handled.

crush17
01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
What is really exciting about all of this is that it shows that Fox has a very different approach than McD, who came in and changed everything, whether it was working or not. It looks like Fox is going to try and keep the good while getting rid of the bad rather than just throwing everything out and starting from scratch. Look for this to continue with how the roster is handled.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I fully agree.

KipCorrington25
01-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Funny he'd rather stay here than work with Haley in Gay Cee. The word is out the guy is a braying ass.

Cmac821
01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Studes is staying also?

Homer Simpson
01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Studes is staying also?

Yes.

mikey555
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
For some strange reason i'm starting to feel something building deep down within.... Could it be the distant rumblings of a mania started so long ago???

GO BRONCOS!!!:militia::militia:

Que
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I approve

Dr. Broncenstein
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
So does McCoy have his own system or is a continuation of McD's offense?

Cmac821
What is being said about the future of Wink?

crush17
For some strange reason i'm starting to feel something building deep down within.... Could it be the distant rumblings of a mania started so long ago???

GO BRONCOS!!!:militia::militia:

Hard not to when the news is only positive coming out of Dove Valley right now!

:)

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
What is being said about the future of Wink?

He's done here I believe. They might offer the linebacker coach to him, but I doubt it.

Dudeskey
01-15-2011, 01:23 PM
man, that was the one thing i was afraid of w/ the fox hire

lostknight
01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Good news all around. If McCoy turns out to be a real coach, and not just a Josh McDaniels mini-mi, being able to keep the E-P offense while rethinking the o-line and the defense is great.

Compare and contrast this to Josh ripping control and demoting Bates.

HEAV
01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
This is about developing Tebow. McCoy has been a QB for over 7 years,while he is the O.C., this move allows McCoy to work with Tim and build him up.

Like we all saw during the Raider game the game plan was bare bones basic for Tim. McCoy was allowed to open the playbook up for the Texans and the Chargers, also Tim was allowed to be Tim and make plays in the pocket with his feet.

McCoy knows Fox and this is a easy transistion for both. I'm cool with the continuation of McCoy as O.C.

GoBroncos84
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Very smart decision. Same points you have been raising, this is about offensive continuity and the continued development of Tim Tebow.

broncolife
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

ditto

anon
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I like that Fox seems to act consistently with how he presented himself in the press conference.

It's early yet but one big difference that I hope will actually be the case is that Fox recognizes the management aspect of the head coaching job, and is not just a Xs and Os geek. The head coach is essentially the CEO of the coaching staff and players.

Hopefully, Fox will actually get to work on the defense, unlike McD who promised "power football", fundamentals, balance and then proceeded to draft a bunch of offensive players with high picks, while trying to patch up the defense with mediocre free agent signings.

MacGruder
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think it can be underestimated how important some offensive continuity will be for Tebow. While McCoy was certainly questionable as a playcaller in his first few games, and I think the jury's out on him as a whole, I thought he did a good job adjusting his playcalling to fit Tebow's strengths as games went on.

Under Tebow and McCoy the offense actually improved a bit last year. I'll be interested to see how much of McDaniels' scheme McCoy carries over vs. how much he adds his own touch to the playcalling.

Only problem is we don't know how good Tebow could have been with someone else...

enjolras
01-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Only problem is we don't know how good Tebow could have been with someone else...

I don't think you could have come up with better gameplans than McCoy did. He showcased Tebows strengths while not putting him in positions that would cause him to fail. Outside of the Raiders game, I think it was really solid.

anon
01-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Hopefully, Fox is doing what we all hoped McD would do: keep/improve/evolve the offensive core while fixing the defense.

baja
01-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Yep smart move. Continuity Transparency Consensus or

CTC

Pony Boy
01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
All I can say is I find it amazing that we now have the best HC in the AFC west.

Quoydogs
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
So we hire a 2-14 coach to fix a 4-12 team and then keep run left on first down QB draw on third down Mccoy ? I have to say I am a little worried. I am starting to think that Pat wants to know what it feels like to have the #1 pick.

baja
01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Funny he'd rather stay here than work with Haley in Gay Cee. The word is out the guy is a braying ass.

That and he's under contract.

mhgaffney
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
It's a pleasure recalling those last few Elway years --

Denver's offense had so many weapons -- with sure handed receivers like Sharpe, Smith and Decker I

And Terrell always on fire.

Other teams could not cover all of the possibles. It was an offensive machine.

But the thing that made it go was Elway's versatility -- his ability to scramble, run and throw -- and the intangibles.

You get the feeling that if Tebow can learn to throw from the pocket -- all of this can happen again. A QB who can scramble and also run brings an extra dimension to the game. It drives defenses crazy.

And is a *** of a lot of fun to watch.

Hamrob
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm somewhat mixed about this. I like the fact that McCoy already has a relationship with Tebow and Gace did an excellent job with the WR's...so, those are pluses.

However, Carolina's offense was less than stellar...and very, very boring. I hate to see the talent we have at WR wasted by 3yds and cloud of dust. I agree that we need a running game...but, if you are picking up 2-3yds every run, you need to be creative enough to allow your pass to set up your run. I'm not sure Carolina was creative enough to figure that out...so, now we have Fox/McCoy...have they changed?

Hamrob
01-15-2011, 02:45 PM
It's a pleasure recalling those last few Elway years --

Denver's offense had so many weapons -- with sure handed receivers like Sharpe, Smith and Decker I

And Terrell always on fire.

Other teams could not cover all of the possibles. It was an offensive machine.

But the thing that made it go was Elway's versatility -- his ability to scramble, run and throw -- and the intangibles.

You get the feeling that if Tebow can learn to throw from the pocket -- all of this can happen again. A QB who can scramble and also run brings an extra dimension to the game. It drives defenses crazy.

And is a *** of a lot of fun to watch.Don't forget that offensive line...blowing up 5yd wide holes for TD! That was awesome.

Hamrob
01-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Please John Fox...don't make your first official signing...a $1.1m/yr long snapper!!!!!!!!!

BroncosMT
01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
is there a place where we can see what the staff looks like??? I presume we don't have a DC yet or this place would have blown up......how do we know who's staying? Link?

Drek
01-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Gase was a QB coach once before, in 2007 under Mike Martz (OC) in Detroit. He briefly was an assistant under Steve Mariucci as well.

McCoy started his NFL career as an assistant under George Seifert when he was the HC in Carolina. As a player he was good enough to transfer up to a D1A school, win the starting job, and then get a cup of coffee in the NFL (he played QB).

McCoy has done the time to get a bump up to OC and now he's worked with the WCO, a more run heavy system like what Carolina ran while he was there, and two years in McDaniels' spread system. We'll see if he can sythesize all of that into a powerful offense, assuming our OL gets put in order.

Keeping Studesville as RB coach is a big win in my opinion. Its rare for guys to take demotions like that in the NFL.

It'll be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Its obvious McDaniels didn't give any room for input from his offensive staff and we've got some decent resumes at OC and RB now. If we bring in Magazu to coach the OL you'd think we'd have all the pieces to put something good together on offense.

Time to get the D staff in order now.

Hamrob
01-15-2011, 02:59 PM
is there a place where we can see what the staff looks like??? I presume we don't have a DC yet or this place would have blown up......how do we know who's staying? Link?Here's this from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17101816

Here's about McCoy from PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/15/mike-mccoy-stays-put-in-denver/

Nothing formally announced on this until probably Monday.

OrangenBlueOhio
01-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm somewhat mixed about this. I like the fact that McCoy already has a relationship with Tebow and Gace did an excellent job with the WR's...so, those are pluses.

However, Carolina's offense was less than stellar...and very, very boring. I hate to see the talent we have at WR wasted by 3yds and cloud of dust. I agree that we need a running game...but, if you are picking up 2-3yds every run, you need to be creative enough to allow your pass to set up your run. I'm not sure Carolina was creative enough to figure that out...so, now we have Fox/McCoy...have they changed?

I kinda like the idea of a conservative offense, and a strong defense. It might be just what Tebow needs to learn to be a "pro" qb. He won't be asked to win it all by himself, but if it breaks down he can run the ball himself for a couple seasons till he becomes the pocket passer we all hope he can be.

I wasn't crazy about McCoy either, but given the circumstances he may be the best choice.

baja
01-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I kinda like the idea of a conservative offense, and a strong defense. It might be just what Tebow needs to learn to be a "pro" qb. He won't be asked to win it all by himself, but if it breaks down he can run the ball himself for a couple seasons till he becomes the pocket passer we all hope he can be.

<b>I wasn't crazy about McCoy either, but given the circumstances he may be the best choice.

I love it. We are able to keep the elements we want from the highly regarded O of J McD

HEAV
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
is there a place where we can see what the staff looks like??? I presume we don't have a DC yet or this place would have blown up......how do we know who's staying? Link?

Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who worked for Fox for seven seasons before coming to Denver, has drawn interest from several teams, including the Browns, but is expected to stay on Fox's staff in the same capacity.

Broncos wide receivers coach Adam Gase has drawn interest from at least two other teams, but the Broncos were dangling the chance for him to be the team's quarterbacks coach, and Gase, an up-and-coming assistant, is likely to stay for that job.

Gase worked with former Rams head coach and current Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz in 2008 on the 49ers' staff.

Multiple NFL sources said Fox also is pursuing former Falcons head coach Jim Mora as his defensive coordinator. Xanders was in the Falcons' front office when Mora was the team's coach.

Read more: Fox is in the process of finalizing new Broncos staff - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17101816?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29#ixz z1B9SXy8TO
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Gutless Drunk
01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I love it. We are able to keep the elements we want from the highly regarded O of J McD

I don't get this. The Broncos were below average offensively during his tenure.
Are people just enamored with passing yards?

2010 we were 13th in yards and 19th in scoring
In 2009 we were 15th and 20th.

Offensive Juggernaut!

Must be what he did with the Patriots as they have really fallen off without him?

listopencil
01-15-2011, 04:09 PM

This is good news. Tebow needs either continuity at the OC and QB Coach position, or a couple of outstanding coaches at those spots that he can become quickly familiar with.

listopencil
01-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Offensive Juggernaut!

Must be what he did with the Patriots as they have really fallen off without him?

For me , the point is that the passing Offense was outstanding and Tebow has already spent a year learning it. I have a feeling that our team will be rising and falling on his arm over the next few seasons. The running game, however...

Atwater His Ass
01-15-2011, 04:16 PM
A lot of people talking out of both side of their mouths here. Preaching continuity and then hoping McCoy changes his system to fit Tebow. Can't have both.

Continuity in a **** system is still a **** system.

We should be looking for someone to build a system around Tebow's strengths. I hope that in keeping McCoy that is the understanding and the team will head in that direction. But I find it somewhat alarming that he's staying, and I'll be taking a wait and see approach to see any changes.

baja
01-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Offensive Juggernaut!

<B>Must be what he did with the Patriots as they have really fallen off without him?

And the best parts will be with Denver through Mcoy.

Gutless Drunk
01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
And the best parts will be with Denver through Mcoy.

Tom Brady & Bill Belichick?

listopencil
01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Continuity in a **** system is still a **** system.

It's not a **** system. When you are talking about continuity with the QB, you are talking about the passing Offense. Our passing Offense was good. Tebow looked promising in it. You'd have to be a ****ing moron to want to lose the only part of our team that actually functioned.

baja
01-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Matt Cassell & Kyle Orton

Dude not sure what your point is. It's a damn good offense that's why several teams are considering josh for OC warts and all.

I'm glad we are keeping McCoy. I hope he takes elements from Josh's system, you know the one that Tebow knows, and uses some of his running game he had at Carolina.

Gutless Drunk
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Matt Cassell & Kyle Orton

Dude not sure what your point is. It's a damn good offense that's why several teams are considering josh for OC warts and all.

I'm glad we are keeping McCoy. I hope he takes elements from Josh's system, you know the one that Tebow knows, and uses some of his running game he had at Carolina.

Kyle Orton was responsible for this:

In 2010 we were 13th in yards and 19th in scoring
That is not a "damn good offense"

His "system" is only proven in New England and they have not missed him at all. Passing stats do not mean anything...remember?

Drek
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM

The year before coming here McDaniels made Matt Cassel look like a damn good QB (obviously an illusion of coaching) and Bill Belichick had little to do with the offense McDaniels ran.

McDaniels is a fantastic OC and that is why he's had several teams pursue him as soon as the season ended. He's generally got his pick of OC jobs this off-season.

You need to keep the facts that he's an insufferable ass who micromanaged every aspect of the club like his two time SB winning predecessor did separate from the fact that he's a fantastic X's and O's coach.

His time here might have gone very differently if a fully empowered GM was in place and helped keep McDaniels in check with regards to micromanaging everything, namely the defense.

listopencil
01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Kyle Orton was responsible for this:

In 2010 we were 13th in yards and 19th in scoring
That is not a "damn good offense"

His "system" is only proven in New England and they have not missed him at all. Passing stats do not mean anything...remember?

Passing Offense vs. Offense.

DivineBronco
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
The year before coming here McDaniels made Matt Cassel look like a damn good QB (obviously an illusion of coaching) and Bill Belichick had little to do with the offense McDaniels ran.

McDaniels is a fantastic OC and that is why he's had several teams pursue him as soon as the season ended. He's generally got his pick of OC jobs this off-season.

You need to keep the facts that he's an insufferable ass who micromanaged every aspect of the club like his two time SB winning predecessor did separate from the fact that he's a fantastic X's and O's coach.

His time here might have gone very differently if a fully empowered GM was in place and helped keep McDaniels in check with regards to micromanaging everything, namely the defense.

how dare you interject logic and sense into blind hate..........hehe

lookin' glass
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Any news on the OL coach?

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Tebow must have asked for him to stay.
I think so. Why mess with having Tim having to learn an entirely different system when he needs to be focusing on building on what he already knows? We might as well keep some consistency here of all places. I think the play calling will gradually morph into something better than it was as Tebow gets more comfortable with reading defenses and checks down less. Plus he's still got the improvisation option. I just hope McCoy doesn't try to keep this kid on a leash to much.

Hulamau
01-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Of course he will ... this was Tebows first three games within an overall system and team that Josh built. McCoy and Fox will have there own formula for this coming year to maximize Tim;'s talents and help limit his limitiations.

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I keep seeing this put out there. People like to stress that Cassel never started a game after HS so McDaniels is responsible for developing him. Two things; first of all, it's conveniently forgotten that he was on the bench at USC becaue he sat behind TWO Heisman winners. How many college teams in history have ever had two guys on the same team at the same time that did that? Cassel was a Parade Magazine All American when he was recruited to USC, not like he was some nobody HS QB who just showed up to see why the lights were on. Belicheat had Brady, who went to elite status from the 6th round, and he was great before McD got there. Cassel is still playing well in KC without McD and so is Brady. I'm not saying McDaniels isn't a good QB coach, but it's hard to know HOW good he is given who he's been working with. Orton is the one guy that looked better than he is with him and that's the system as much as anything else I think. The system makes all these guys look better than they would somewhere else, and that's the way a good system should work. Cassel is a very good system QB and so is Orton. Neither is a playmaker on their own, which is what separates them from the more talented guys like Cutler or Tebow.
The NFL is a copy-cat league. Everyone wants to mimic whatever the champion does which is why he wound up in Denver to start with. His performance in Denver was not "fantastic" by any stretch. He tried to fit square pegs into round holes, a critical mistake. He'll get his OC job, but it will become apparent soon enough that he's still got things to learn as well.
Fair enough. But how you work with and manage people is a critical part...in fact it's THE critical part of what is involved with being a coach. Anyone can learn X's and O's and learn to teach or be a good play caller given the time and commitment, but gaining and keeping respect and trust from your players is a far more valuable skill, one built over time and the product of a personality and character that people are comfortable working for. McDaniels won't be a good coach till he figures that part of it out.

mwill07
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I've got to hope that McCoy's time w/ McDaniels will have helped him learn how to structure a potent passing attack. That said, it's pretty clear that Fox favors a stout running game. I have got to think that a dedication to the running game would really take some of the load off of Tebow and allow him to grow into the position.

one other thing that's interesting - Fox/Hurney did draft Armanti Edwards, a "non-traditional" QB, but Edwards really isn't built for the NFL. I think that Fox wants to work with an offense geared around Tebow's strengths, he just hasn't had anyone dcapable of pulling that off in the past. coaching against Atlanta-Vick for years has got to have made Fox realize what a mobile QB can bring to the table.

i'm actually pretty excited to see what the Fox/McCoy offense can look like w/ Tebow.

Jay3
01-15-2011, 06:33 PM

If Fox speaks to him, it will be to say "I like the cut of your jib. More draws on 3rd and 11, please."

footstepsfrom#27
01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
I've got to hope that McCoy's time w/ McDaniels will have helped him learn how to structure a potent passing attack. That said, it's pretty clear that Fox favors a stout running game. I have got to think that a dedication to the running game would really take some of the load off of Tebow and allow him to grow into the position.

one other thing that's interesting - Fox/Hurney did draft Armanti Edwards, a "non-traditional" QB, but Edwards really isn't built for the NFL. I think that Fox wants to work with an offense geared around Tebow's strengths, he just hasn't had anyone dcapable of pulling that off in the past. coaching against Atlanta-Vick for years has got to have made Fox realize what a mobile QB can bring to the table.

i'm actually pretty excited to see what the Fox/McCoy offense can look like w/ Tebow.
My biggest concern with Fox is that he's 55 years old, and how many old dogs learn new tricks? His conservative approach was hated in Carolina...granted they didn't have much to work with there. I'm hoping he's not a Dan Reeves type offensive play caller. Remember Reeves running Winder up the gut all the time when he had the best arm on the planet back there...ugh...I still hate that we pissed away a decade like that.

mwill07
01-15-2011, 06:42 PM
My biggest concern with Fox is that he's 55 years old, and how many old dogs learn new tricks? His conservative approach was hated in Carolina...granted they didn't have much to work with there. I'm hoping he's not a Dan Reeves type offensive play caller. Remember Reeves running Winder up the gut all the time when he had the best arm on the planet back there...ugh...I still hate that we pissed away a decade like that.
it was maddening watching Reeves offense, but his formula did get us to three SB's.

I used to have a wrestling coach who said that the way you beat a better opponent is to be conservative, keep it close, and then win it in the last period. I think that is what Reeves was going for - keep the team in the game into the 4th quarter, and then open it up as needed.

Frankly, a more conservative playcalling approach might be just what we need. Of course, it doesn't work if you don't have the D....

serious hops
01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Now Fox can have his way with the defense.

Just like everyone else.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Why does he need to learn new tricks? If he can build a team on par with the 2003 or 2005 Panthers squads we'll likely win a Super Bowl.

Tim Tebow >>>>>>> Jake Delhomme

Bronco Yoda
01-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Good. We some sort of continuity.

The MVPlaya
01-16-2011, 07:17 AM
John Fox said the team is too pass heavy on offense right now.

That confuses me a bit. Does he mean we don't have enough running backs? Every team carries 4-5 WRs. Our TE's were primarily used for blocking, and Graham is nothing but an extra lineman that snag down a catch here or there.

Does he think our linemen are too small?

When he says that our offense is too pass heavy, what are you going to do to change that in terms of roster moves?

something for you guys to think about...

Dr. Broncenstein
01-16-2011, 07:19 AM

That confuses me a bit. Does he mean we don't have enough running backs? Every team carries 4-5 WRs. Our TE's were primarily used for blocking, and Graham is nothing but an extra lineman that snag down a catch here or there.

When he says that our offense is too pass heavy, what are you going to do to change that in terms of roster moves?

It means we are going to run the ball more, and bubble screen less.

baja
01-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Isn't he talking about the ratio between passes and runs called during the game?

Man-Goblin
01-16-2011, 07:56 AM

I think it means McD was so evil that he made them throw weighted footballs to make things more challenging and miserable.

OABB
01-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Fox obviously doesn't read the mane because he said moreno was a good and capable back. Obviously he is unaware that moreno is indeed, a bust. Should we all right him a letter?

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Fox obviously doesn't read the mane because he said moreno was a good and capable back. Obviously he is unaware that moreno is indeed, a bust. Should we all right him a letter?

you still think Moreno is a good RB..ROFL!

The MVPlaya
01-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Let me reiterate...

He also indicated the offense is way out of balance too heavy with the pass, too light on the run. Another way to put it is the Broncos' offense has employed too much finesse and not enough brawn.

"I don't see it unfixable at all," Fox said of the Broncos in general.

Read more: Fox's renovation of Broncos begins - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17102223?source=rss&_requestid=22947079#ixzz1BDNZKft0
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

He's talking about the roster, not the play calling.

This tells me he is not happy with the offensive roster.

"Way out of balance."

BayBay And Decker are both big WRs who can block. Royal is not a bad blocker his size, and did fine when we ran with Shanny.

So I mean, is this guy going to axe some of the OL?

The MVPlaya
01-16-2011, 08:07 AM
It means we are going to run the ball more, and bubble screen less.

This is an old joke. It would have made sense in 2009, but in 2010 we employed the "bubble screen" much less and the times we did they were very effective, and we have a lot of explosive plays from it.

Also, if you watch all the top tier offenses, they run the screen pass quite often...

But I don't really expect you to post anything constructive or intelligent.

OABB
01-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Yes. But I'm handicapped by not having pannis.

The MVPlaya
01-16-2011, 08:13 AM

With blocking Moreno is a top RB. I've sat here and watched all 32 games from the past two seasons, and every single game where we had consistent blocking he was phenomenal, especially in 2010.

I'm pretty convinced people who say Moreno sucks simply doesn't watch the games or they are just football dumb.

OABB
01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
With blocking Moreno is a top RB. I've sat here and watched all 32 games from the past two seasons, and every single game where we had consistent blocking he was phenomenal, especially in 2010.

I'm pretty convinced people who say Moreno sucks simply doesn't watch the games or they are just football dumb.

I think their stupidity isn't just limited to football. Moreno is injury prone. I get that argument and don't disagree, but he is a very good back. Of course when we have had so many backs on ir, I wonder if he isn't a victi
of tuten. How anyone can watch moreno and say he sucks is beyond me. Injury prone? Sure. Sucks? Only an idiot would say that.

Hamrob
01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I think that people who say Moreno sucks...are really referring to the fact that he was the #12 pick in the entire draft. At #12, you are hoping for a "Special" player and Moreno doesn't flash special talent.

He's a very good back though. He's averaged over 1,200yds from scrimmage each of his first 2yrs while averaging 4yds a carry and 8.5 TD's a season. Not too shabby.

But, his longest run is 36yds and he's fumbled 7 times. Add to that his injury bug...and people just aren't enamored by him.

Personaly, I like Moreno, he will continue to be the starter (in my opinion), but, I'd like us to compliment him by bringing in a guy with a little bit more speed and a guy like Hillis (maybe L. White).

Our problem this year (IMO) had to do with our inexperience on the interior of our Oline and the fact, that our stable was really poor (Ball & Buck...yuk!).

OABB
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I think that people who say Moreno sucks...are really referring to the fact that he was the #12 pick in the entire draft. At #12, you are hoping for a "Special" player and Moreno doesn't flash special talent.

He's a very good back though. He's averaged over 1,200yds from scrimmage each of his first 2yrs while averaging 4yds a carry and 8.5 TD's a season. Not too shabby.

But, his longest run is 36yds and he's fumbled 7 times. Add to that his injury bug...and people just aren't enamored by him.

Personaly, I like Moreno, he will continue to be the starter (in my opinion), but, I'd like us to compliment him by bringing in a guy with a little bit more speed and a guy like Hillis (maybe L. White).

Our problem this year (IMO) had to do with our inexperience on the interior of our Oline and the fact, that our stable was really poor (Ball & Buck...yuk!).

understood. I can see all these points. But gobroncos says he "sucks" and that he's a bust. That is just too stupid to ignore. Waaaay too stupid. Gobroncos is a joke here for a reason I guess.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Moreno looked pretty phenomenal on the road against the Chiefs. The one time in his entire professional career where he was actually taking over a game, and getting better as the game went along. But eventually you have to pass eight times in a row. Even when your injury-prone phenomenal-when-healthy-with-blocking first round running back is gashing a defense on every play. This might be an example of an area where "pass heavy" applies.

It seems as though you have figured out the problem with Moreno. All we have to do is block for him consistently and figure out a way to keep him from getting hurt every time he gets tackled. Then he's phenomenal.

OABB
01-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Moreno isn't the only injury prone rb in Denver. The last three years have been comical with rb injuries. We've had what, seven backs on ir the last three years? Maybe there is another issue? Moreno wasn't injured in college either.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
understood. I can see all these points. But gobroncos says he "sucks" and that he's a bust. That is just too stupid to ignore. Waaaay too stupid. Gobroncos is a joke here for a reason I guess.

ok..you want to bet..

Moreno will not rush for 1000 yards next season and will not play atleast couple of games due to injuries.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

He dances too much...After every 10 yard run, he seems to be tired..
I will not be surprised if we trade or cut him in couple of years.

OABB
01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
ok..you want to bet..

Moreno will not rush for 1000 yards next season and will not play atleast couple of games due to injuries.

I will take that. Moreno will rush for 1000 yards next year regardless of injuries. How much?

OrangenBlueOhio
01-16-2011, 08:53 AM

I too will never forgive Mr. Reeves for what he did with Elway at the helm. But we don't have an Elway right now. We have a guy who most said couldn't make the transition from college to pro. So a conservative style offense might be just the ticket to give Tebow the time he needs to develop, while building our roster with guys to compliment a Fox/Tebow style "O". I am optimistic.

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Keeping McCoy is certainly a positive in my opinion. He's the perfect bridge between Tebow and Fox. McCoy, having worked with Tebow and having seen the lift he provided to the team, I have to believe is going to have a lot of faith in Tebow. Fox, having worked with McCoy in Carolina, is going to trust McCoy and therefore have more faith in Tebow from the get go.

I think continuity is important, but I think it's more important that we focus on how to best develop an offense around Tebow, not spend time seeing whether Tebow fits a new OC's offense better than Orton or Quinn, etc.

The fact that McCoy already has a relationship with both Fox and Tebow will allow the "Tebow Offense" to develop much more swiftly, imo. I think McCoy believes in Tebow, and I think Fox will give McCoy the autonomy to move forward with Tebow as the starter.

I don't think that would be the case with any other OC. They would come in and need to feel Tebow out, get to know him, would probably divvy out equal reps among whatever QBs are on the roster, etc.

I think the franchise needs to devote the majority of it's energy on developing Tebow. That involves getting starter's reps, receiving the majority of the attention of the coaching staff and developing a rapport with the WRs. I think that will happen with McCoy.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I will take that. Moreno will rush for 1000 yards next year regardless of injuries. How much?

you should not post in this site for one year from the day you lost the bet.
I will not post for 2 years..

Is it fine?

OABB
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
you should not post in this site for one year from the day you lost the bet.
I will not post for 2 years..

Is it fine?

Why two years for you and one for me? Not that anyone here would mind, I'm just curious.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Why two years for you and one for me? Not that anyone here would mind, I'm just curious.

because..i am confident that he will never have 1000 yards rushing in his career.

OABB
01-16-2011, 09:21 AM
because..i am confident that he will never have 1000 yards rushing in his career.

Ok. You are on.

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Ok. You are on.

I will be witness to this. Two years without go_whineabouteverything_broncos is going to be fantastic.

OABB
01-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I will be witness to this. Two years without go_whineabouteverything_broncos is going to be fantastic.

I will consider it my orangemane donation for two years. Moreno had over 900 yards as a rookie and was on pace for 1100 last year. I'm feeling good.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok. You are on.

just want to tell again..

Moreno will not have 1000 yards rushing next year(injuries should not be your excuse)

OABB
01-16-2011, 09:41 AM
just want to tell again..

Moreno will not have 1000 yards rushing next year(injuries should not be your excuse)

If he gets hit by a car and is paralyzed I will still stick to this bet. What will your excuse be when it happens? That's the better question. You have been nothing but absurd throughout our whole discussion. It will be funny to watch how a ball-less pannis survivor like yourself handles it.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 09:43 AM
If he gets hit by a car and is paralyzed I will still stick to this bet. What will your excuse be when it happens? That's the better question. You have been nothing but absurd throughout our whole discussion. It will be funny to watch how a ball-less pannis survivor like yourself handles it.

There will be no excuses..you will not see a single post of mine for 2 years.

Dedhed
01-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If he gets hit by a car and is paralyzed I will still stick to this bet. What will your excuse be when it happens?

The great part about that is that we won't have to hear his excuses until Moreno is into his 3rd straight 1,000 yard season. Hopefully at that point he'll realize he looks too dumb, and opt not to return to the OM at all.

My guess is that we'll never see a post from go_broncos again after week 12-13 next year.

He'll either change his username, or never return.

The best part about this is that the tool didn't even consider that the new CBA might include an 18 game season. I'm guessing that will be the first thing he whines about.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
The great part about that is that we won't have to hear his excuses until Moreno is into his 3rd straight 1,000 yard season. Hopefully at that point he'll realize he looks too dumb, and opt not to return to the OM at all.

My guess is that we'll never see a post from go_broncos again after week 12-13 next year.

He'll either change his username, or never return.

The best part about this is that the tool didn't even consider that the new CBA might include an 18 game season. I'm guessing that will be the first thing he whines about.

I said..I will not post..but, i can visit this site(if i lose).

Hamrob
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
What if there is a lockout next year?

OABB
01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I said..I will not post..but, i can visit this site(if i lose).

same for me. is there anyway you could do a good faith move and not post anyways?

OABB
01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
What if there is a lockout next year?

****. didn't even think about that. I would opt to push it for a move the following season since that seems the most fair.

go_broncos
01-16-2011, 10:22 AM
****. didn't even think about that. I would opt to push it for a move the following season since that seems the most fair.

This bet is applicable only if there is a NFL season.

CEH
01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Odds are Fox brings in a back and they split carries pretty evenly. Knowshown will probably have to avergae 4.5 ypc to get to 1K but I guess that's why the bet. Some like Knowshown some not so much

OABB
01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
This bet is applicable only if there is a NFL season.

Deal. What if you realize you are a bitch and have a change of heart? If you admit that you have pannis I will forego the bet and not post for a month right now.

OABB
01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Odds are Fox brings in a back and they split carries pretty evenly. Knowshown will probably have to avergae 4.5 ypc to get to 1K but I guess that's why the bet. Some like Knowshown some not so much

That is a risk as well, but who cares. I'm no pussy!

Kaylore
01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Happy about Gase and happy about continuity. Hopefully the playcalling gets better.

tsiguy96
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Happy about Gase and happy about continuity. Hopefully the playcalling gets better.

i would be pretty positive it will get better and more balanced. with fox here and with playcalling experience (both these last 4 games and maybe next preseason if theres a season) he should be in better shape to take over then on a short week.