schaaf
01-15-2011, 10:46 AM
DEFENSE, and maybe a Tight End.

mattob14
01-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Where's the Select All button?

Mr. Elway
01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
What we need is two drafts, maybe three.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 11:09 AM
We're going to have to draft or sign a good back or two to run the kind of offense Fox likes to run. Moreno can't carry that kind of load, and Fox likes a deep backfield. Look for us to sign DeAngelo Williams or draft a guy like Mikel Leshoure in the 2nd. Hate to break it to you guys that want an all-defense draft.

gunns
01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
We're going to have to draft or sign a good back or two to run the kind of offense Fox likes to run. Moreno can't carry that kind of load, and Fox likes a deep backfield. Look for us to sign DeAngelo Williams or draft a guy like Mikel Leshoure in the 2nd. Hate to break it to you guys that want an all-defense draft.

Pick up a RB in FA, but NOT Williams.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Pick up a RB in FA, but NOT Williams.

With Fox involved, do you really think any other FA back is as likely? And who would you prefer anyway?

schaaf
01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Michael Bush.

srphoenix
01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
i think there's a chance we just stick with Moreno and the forgotten Bronco Lendale White, he looked good when he got some action and serves as the power back in the duo.

Kaylore
01-15-2011, 11:23 AM
All of the above.

serious hops
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd like to come out of the first three rounds with multiple DLs, at least one safety, and preferrably a right tackle.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
i think there's a chance we just stick with Moreno and the forgotten Bronco Lendale White, he looked good when he got some action and serves as the power back in the duo.

I think there's almost zero chance of that happening. Moreno is close enough to Fox's mold to last a while longer, but Lendale is almost certainly done. There really is almost no chance we don't move to seriously upgrade our running backs through the draft or free agency. Fox is going to insist upon it, I'm certain.

TheReverend
01-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Day ONE we need 1-2 DL, 1 ILB and a DB

OBF1
01-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I am shocked at the lack of faith in Moreno.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:06 PM

I have faith that the guy can be part of a successful tandem. I have absolutely zero faith he can carry the load of a John Fox running game. Beyond that there just isn't any quality backs behind Moreno.

Drek
01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Our two biggest needs are DL. Emphasis on the "two" part of that. If we play a 3-4 front or a 4-3 we're short at least two starting quality guys on the line, and in the 3-4 that assumes Bannan remains at his '10 form, if its a 4-3 it assumes Doom and Ayers can step up as every down DE types.

Next it depends on the scheme. If its a 4-3 then MLB by a mile. If its a 3-4 then we need to improve our safeties. McBath might be a diamond in the rough just waiting to get healthy and Bruton might transfer some of his special teams acumen to the defense, but the odds of both doing it are pretty slim.

You basically flip those two for the next tier as well, if we're still 3-4 then a high quality ILB should come in #4 on the list, if its 4-3 then it'd be another safety.

Corner is 5th regardless of scheme. Moves up to probably #3 if Champ isn't retained and no high level veteran is brought in to replace him.

A good all around TE comes in 6th, which would be a big help for Tebow's development.

After that we need to add a quality 3rd back to the mix with Moreno and White, ideally someone who can return kicks.

Once we've done that we need to start adding depth to the entire defense to cover for when guys bust, get hurt, etc..

FantomForce
01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Shocked? No the Doctor was shocked when Moreno kept coming back, Holy Sh*t you again:holyguac!

elsid13
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
I hope people understand that the odds are against any DT having impact this season or next.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Our two biggest needs are DL. Emphasis on the "two" part of that. If we play a 3-4 front or a 4-3 we're short at least two starting quality guys on the line, and in the 3-4 that assumes Bannan remains at his '10 form, if its a 4-3 it assumes Doom and Ayers can step up as every down DE types.

Next it depends on the scheme. If its a 4-3 then MLB by a mile. If its a 3-4 then we need to improve our safeties. McBath might be a diamond in the rough just waiting to get healthy and Bruton might transfer some of his special teams acumen to the defense, but the odds of both doing it are pretty slim.

You basically flip those two for the next tier as well, if we're still 3-4 then a high quality ILB should come in #4 on the list, if its 4-3 then it'd be another safety.

Corner is 5th regardless of scheme. Moves up to probably #3 if Champ isn't retained and no high level veteran is brought in to replace him.

A good all around TE comes in 6th, which would be a big help for Tebow's development.

After that we need to add a quality 3rd back to the mix with Moreno and White, ideally someone who can return kicks.

Once we've done that we need to start adding depth to the entire defense to cover for when guys bust, get hurt, etc..

We need another back of Moreno's level or better. Moreno and White are not enough to get it done in a run-first offense like Fox is going to run. Not even close.

Broncojef
01-15-2011, 12:17 PM

His weekly hamstring injury may play into it. LOL

OBF1
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Ndamukong Suh

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I hope people understand that the odds are against any DT having impact this season or next.

This is true. A top 5 DT has a better chance than most rookie DTs, but it's still very possible we are going to have issues on the defensive front for a few years.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Ndamukong Suh

Is a once-in-a-generation freak.

FantomForce
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
This is true. A top 5 DT has a better chance than most rookie DTs, but it's still very possible we are going to have issues on the defensive front for a few years.

confused

elsid13
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
confused

I am pretty sure that he was responding to my post.

FantomForce
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I am pretty sure that he was responding to my post.

would make a hell of a lot more sense

elsid13
01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
would make a hell of a lot more sense

Yeah it would, but you never know with some of the posters around here...

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
confused

Clicked on wrong post. Fixed.

FantomForce
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah it would, but you never know with some of the posters around here...

lol

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
The team has a lot of holes, so trade down whenever possible and pick the best players available.

Anybody they manage to pick up on the DL should be starting from day one.

gunns
01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
With Fox involved, do you really think any other FA back is as likely? And who would you prefer anyway?

With Fox I think it's highly likely unless he's sick of him being injured and only showing up for 1/2 a season. I'd like Mike Tolbert, Michael Bush, even Ahmad Bradshaw and my pipe dream, Arian Foster over Williams.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 01:48 PM
With Fox I think it's highly likely unless he's sick of him being injured and only showing up for 1/2 a season. I'd like Mike Tolbert, Michael Bush, even Ahmad Bradshaw and my pipe dream, Arian Foster over Williams.

LULZ at Arian Foster. That would be absolutely awesome, but it isn't going to happen. Houston will figure out a way to keep that guy.

The others are kind of meh, but they would all be upgrades over anyone we have behind Moreno. They would likely all be cheaper than Williams too, so that's a plus. Still, Williams is the only guy that has a relationship with Fox, so he seems the most likely.

gunns
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
LULZ at Arian Foster. That would be absolutely awesome, but it isn't going to happen. Houston will figure out a way to keep that guy.

The others are kind of meh, but they would all be upgrades over anyone we have behind Moreno. They would likely all be cheaper than Williams too, so that's a plus. Still, Williams is the only guy that has a relationship with Fox, so he seems the most likely.

That's why I said Foster was my pipe dream. I'm assuming the others may have teams that will find a way to keep them too. But I find it amazing that Williams would command more money than any of the others. The relationship between Fox and Williams didn't do much good in Carolina. One good season, two years ago, and that was the second half of the season. Bleh.

schaaf
01-15-2011, 02:11 PM

but has very good odds to win the starting role and learn from his rookie season

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
That's why I said Foster was my pipe dream. I'm assuming the others may have teams that will find a way to keep them too. But I find it amazing that Williams would command more money than any of the others. The relationship between Fox and Williams didn't do much good in Carolina. One good season, two years ago, and that was the second half of the season. Bleh.

Why do you find it amazing? Williams is the only back on that list that has proven he's capable of playing at an elite level. His injuries hurt his value, but he still has more value on the market than any of those guys aside from Ahmad Bradshaw possibly. He's had two 1000 yard seasons in his career. Bradshaw has one, and the rest have none. I will say that Bradshaw is likely a better signing seeing as he has less wear on him and he's younger, but I'm doubtful the Giants don't keep him somehow.

Personally, I'm not a fan of signing free agent backs. I tend to prefer to draft them. We could sign a good defensive player and draft a back rather than the other way round. I don't see why so many think we have to use every single pick on defense. That seems like very narrow thinking to me.

bombay
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Defensive Tackle.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Defensive Tackle.

That's the one thing everyone seems to agree on.

gunns
01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Why do you find it amazing? Williams is the only back on that list that has proven he's capable of playing at an elite level. His injuries hurt his value, but he still has more value on the market than any of those guys aside from Ahmad Bradshaw possibly. He's had two 1000 yard seasons in his career. Bradshaw has one, and the rest have none. I will say that Bradshaw is likely a better signing seeing as he has less wear on him and he's younger, but I'm doubtful the Giants don't keep him somehow.

Personally, I'm not a fan of signing free agent backs. I tend to prefer to draft them. We could sign a good defensive player and draft a back rather than the other way round. I don't see why so many think we have to use every single pick on defense. That seems like very narrow thinking to me.

I do find it amazing. What you are quoting is stats and we all know about stats. Like saying an offense is #1 because they have the most yards. In one of those 1000 yard seasons you have Stewart who only started 3 games and have more yards and more TD's. Tolbert had as many TD's as Williams in one of his 1000 yd seasons, Bradshaw had 1500+ this year. Williams reminds me of Moreno this year.

As far as drafting all D, it's because we haven't drafted well on D FOREVER and we have nothing to fall back on. It's for the future. It's been the forgotten side of the ball. You watch Baltimore and Pitt? THAT'S why

listopencil
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Fix the middle of the D and maybe grab a TE. That's DT, ILB, SS and a TE.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I do find it amazing. What you are quoting is stats and we all know about stats. Like saying an offense is #1 because they have the most yards. In one of those 1000 yard seasons you have Stewart who only started 3 games and have more yards and more TD's. Tolbert had as many TD's as Williams in one of his 1000 yd seasons, Bradshaw had 1500+ this year. Williams reminds me of Moreno this year.

As far as drafting all D, it's because we haven't drafted well on D FOREVER and we have nothing to fall back on. It's for the future. It's been the forgotten side of the ball. You watch Baltimore and Pitt? THAT'S why

My point is that we don't have to draft ALL defense. Obviously we have more defensive needs and should therefore go defense heavy, but we don't have to draft defense with every pick. Especially if we address some of our defensive needs in FA.

And trying to negate the value of stats with stats doesn't make any sense. Bradshaw had 1235 rushing yards.

Drek
01-15-2011, 06:35 PM
We need another back of Moreno's level or better. Moreno and White are not enough to get it done in a run-first offense like Fox is going to run. Not even close.
1. Moreno's level is currently an unknown. He's spent two years with questionable OL play in an offense with a poor history of RB production.

2. I'm not saying Moreno and White are enough. Just that in the overall scheme of how we spend our off-season budget a 3rd RB comes in well below some major defensive needs.

We need to add another back for sure, but if instead of finding him in the draft we try out a bunch of UDFAs and/or go to the FA market that can work. On defense we need a significant infusion of talent across the board and its highly unlikely we can address even half of our needs in FA. Unlike RB we're talking about a need for every down starters so betting on UDFAs likely won't cut it.

Focus at least the early part of the draft on defense. If a great talent at either TE or RB just falls in your lap in the 2nd or 3rd then jump, but the focus early needs to be D.

gunns
01-15-2011, 06:40 PM
My point is that we don't have to draft ALL defense. Obviously we have more defensive needs and should therefore go defense heavy, but we don't have to draft defense with every pick. Especially if we address some of our defensive needs in FA.

And trying to negate the value of stats with stats doesn't make any sense. Bradshaw had 1235 rushing yards.

You were talking yards, I was talking TD's which are far more important. I mentioned Bradshaw's yards because that's what seemed to impress you. He had approximately 345 yds in receiving too.

I understood what you meant by drafting all defense. I just explained why we may have to. We could also pick up in FA, but that's the problem, we have neglected it so much, we could draft all defense and still need some in FA. I don't have a problem getting an OL or TE in the draft or even a RB, but I want offense to be an after thought this year.

Requiem
01-15-2011, 06:41 PM
A lot of good young runners declared this year, I'd love to acquire one of them to go with Moreno.

bombay
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
A lot of good young runners declared this year, I'd love to acquire one of them to go with Moreno.

Mikel LeShoure.

db56
01-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Its hard to predict anything before the senior bowl and the combine, Suh's value shot up and he reached the "freak status" after the combine, same with Pierre Paul last year.

this team badly needs help in the front seven of the defense, whether that be a DT, DE or LB, has to be the number 1 priority..

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
1. Moreno's level is currently an unknown. He's spent two years with questionable OL play in an offense with a poor history of RB production.

2. I'm not saying Moreno and White are enough. Just that in the overall scheme of how we spend our off-season budget a 3rd RB comes in well below some major defensive needs.

We need to add another back for sure, but if instead of finding him in the draft we try out a bunch of UDFAs and/or go to the FA market that can work. On defense we need a significant infusion of talent across the board and its highly unlikely we can address even half of our needs in FA. Unlike RB we're talking about a need for every down starters so betting on UDFAs likely won't cut it.

Focus at least the early part of the draft on defense. If a great talent at either TE or RB just falls in your lap in the 2nd or 3rd then jump, but the focus early needs to be D.

I think Moreno's level is pretty clear. He's a good back. He can probably break 1000 with better blocking and more commitment to the run. But he's also a bit fragile, and thus really only makes sense in tandem with another quality back, at least in the 30 carry per game running game we are likely going to be seeing. To me, we need to either grab a high quality back in FA or draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

All that said, I definitely agree that defense should be the focus of the draft. There's no question about that.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Mikel LeShoure.

That's the one I'm thinking of actually. He'd allow us to run Fox's style of offense and be dangerous doing it. I honestly think he's better than Ingram. Not that I'm set on any one guy. We just need to add a quality back one way or another.

FireFly
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
We have a LOT of holes.

We probably need at least 2 or 3 good drafts before we're truly competitive.

In the short term we need to address the middle of our D and grab a TE if possible. Other than that I'd skip drafting O. I hope that we're active in free agency on both sides of the ball, although I have a feeling we might not be.

pennsylvaniadoug
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
I gotta wonder, what would it take to get Haloti Ngota from the Ravens? What would you give up for him...that guy is an animal.

OrangeSe7en
01-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I think Moreno's level is pretty clear. He's a good back. He can probably break 1000 with better blocking and more commitment to the run. But he's also a bit fragile, and thus really only makes sense in tandem with another quality back, at least in the 30 carry per game running game we are likely going to be seeing. To me, we need to either grab a high quality back in FA or draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

All that said, I definitely agree that defense should be the focus of the draft. There's no question about that.

He's not that good.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I gotta wonder, what would it take to get Haloti Ngota from the Ravens? What would you give up for him...that guy is an animal.

Seeing as we are almost certainly going back to a 4-3, I don't think it matters much.

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 07:12 PM
He's not that good.

Okay...:thumbs:

errand
01-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Me too....but will concede he needs to stay healthy. His rookie year was good as he ran for 947 yards and 7 TD's....but his sophomore year saw him struggle with injuries and two rookies on the interior part of the OL, which forced us to run more outside than inside....his value is alot higher than most give him credit for.....look at how badly we ran the ball without him min the line-up

oubronco
01-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Defense Defense Defense and more Defense

Agamemnon
01-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Me too....but will concede he needs to stay healthy. His rookie year was good as he ran for 947 yards and 7 TD's....but his sophomore year saw him struggle with injuries and two rookies on the interior part of the OL, which forced us to run more outside than inside....his value is alot higher than most give him credit for.....look at how badly we ran the ball without him min the line-up

For my part in the conversation, my only real issues with Moreno are his injury issues and lack of big plays. I think he's a good back though. I just don't see him carrying the load in a Fox run game.

Boomhauer
01-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Picked six positions since we have six picks.............

1st - CB When a premier corner is available, and with Champ likely gone, you take it. Goodman is a solid starter and Vaughn a good back-up, but the roster needs help here.

2nd - ILB and FS Can't have a defense when DJ is the only servicable LB. Woodyard is a very good back-up, but we need to solidify the middle of our defense. Hill is a good FS, Bruton and McCarthy are good back-ups, but we need someone that combines great instincts and speed to burn in CF.

3rd - RB Moreno is a bust, but we can get great value out of the draft and FA, combined with more ZBS, to regain an effective ground attack.

6th - OG and TE I'm hoping to see more of Olsen, who impressed last preseason, and less of Beadles, who was unimpressive all this year. A late round OG will add competition to both LG and OC. Quinn is a bust and Graham getting old. We atleast need a receiving TE, but one that can block too would be great.

Steve Sewell
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
For me the only knock on Moreno is whether he can stay healthy.

Looking at his stats this year, in the 13 games he played he averaged:

14 carries for 60 yards per game (5 rush TDs this season)

and

3 receptions for 29 yards per game (3 receiving TDs this season)

So even being limited by injuries and a lack of touches in games that he played, he averaged 17 touches for nearly 90 yards per game.

For me this says that if a) he can stay healthy, and b) the Broncos commit to a running game, he can be fairly productive as a running back in the future. There were so many damn variables working against the kid this year.

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Is a once-in-a-generation freak.

Like Peterson this year.

Dedhed
01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Picked six positions since we have six picks.............

1st - CB When a premier corner is available, and with Champ likely gone, you take it. Goodman is a solid starter and Vaughn a good back-up, but the roster needs help here.

2nd - ILB and FS Can't have a defense when DJ is the only servicable LB. Woodyard is a very good back-up, but we need to solidify the middle of our defense. Hill is a good FS, Bruton and McCarthy are good back-ups, but we need someone that combines great instincts and speed to burn in CF.

3rd - RB Moreno is a bust, but we can get great value out of the draft and FA, combined with more ZBS, to regain an effective ground attack.

6th - OG and TE I'm hoping to see more of Olsen, who impressed last preseason, and less of Beadles, who was unimpressive all this year. A late round OG will add competition to both LG and OC. Quinn is a bust and Graham getting old. We atleast need a receiving TE, but one that can block too would be great.
Putting RB, OG, and TE above DL is day one stupid.

TheReverend
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

And FS. The only competent safeties we have are ones with range. CB and ILB an argument can be made for, but only at elite talent levels, imo.

Missouribronc
01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
This team has one starter-quality 4-3 linebacker. Maybe not at No. 2, but the Broncos need 4-3 linebackers.

Boomhauer
01-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Even if we don't keep all of Vickerson, Bannan, Williams, Thomas, Doom, Ayers or Hunter, there are plenty of DL options that could replace them for a very effective front four. Historically, rookie DLs need a year or two to become effective and is a bust-prone draft pick-up. It would be wiser complimenting our good DL depth with RFA and FA and save the picks for positions of need.

Agamemnon
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Like Peterson this year.

Peterson is in no way the same quality of prospect as Suh. And he plays corner, so it doesn't really matter. Corner = most overvalued position in football.

Rohirrim
01-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Front seven on D, starting with the line. Same as it ever was.

Rascal
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
This team is at least two years from being truly competitive. RB is the easiest position to address. If we take somebody in the draft it had better be after round 4...otherwise I'd prefer to wait till next year and get some FA bodies in (Michael Bush would be nice).

Mile High Shack
01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I clicked on every defensive position

Greatspirits
01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
DEFENSE! Although we could use a strong fullback and tight end.

ColoradoDarin
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
RB - Sproles, Bush, Williams, there are plenty of free agent RBs that we can take a flier on and if they don't work out we can draft one next year or bring in one as a UDFA.

TE - Zach Miller or Bo Scaife (Marcedes Lewis too?)

So I don't think we need to spend a draft pick on RB or TE (but since he's coming out, I'd like Jaquizz from Oregon State in the late rounds) and we'd only need OT depth should we resign Harris - although I think they would move Beadles to RT and play Olsen at LG for starters, but I'm not really fond of that.

So, we really don't need to draft on offense, which leads me to my poll answers - all defense.

serious hops
01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Even if we don't keep all of Vickerson, Bannan, Williams, Thomas, Doom, Ayers or Hunter, there are plenty of DL options that could replace them for a very effective front four. Historically, rookie DLs need a year or two to become effective and is a bust-prone draft pick-up. It would be wiser complimenting our good DL depth with RFA and FA and save the picks for positions of need.

Thanks, Shanahan.

Mediator12
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

I let the first post go. But WHAT? Save picks by not drafting Quality DL and just find FA guys and mysteriously get that Very effective front four! Are you kidding me? thwack

UberBroncoMan
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
The Free Agency market this year is about as good as it could be for us. TONS of positions of need with great/good players that will allow us to draft high to start right away in some spots, and the rest to be solid competitive depth.

OABB
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Boomhauer.... Please stop posting right away. Seriously.

Homer Simpson
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Agreed, I read that post twice in disbelief!

Arkie
04-15-2011, 12:11 PM
It seems like the top 3 players on the Mane are Dareus, Miller, and Peterson. Defense is definitely the focus. DT is our biggest need while OLB & CB are the "smallest needs" on defense.

Mjolnir
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Defensive tackle, defensive tackle, and offensive tackle.

oubronco
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
You win in the trenches and we haven't won shyt for a long time so you do the math

razorwire77
04-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Front seven is the top priority, in particular DT. I'd say RT (Tebow's blindside) is the second highest priority with Ryan Harris not coming back. Finally, this team needs depth at RB. Buck is old, White is fat and coming off a serious injury, and everyone else on the roster is camp fodder at best.

GoBroncos84
04-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Including draft and free agency, I think we need the following:

2-3 Defensive Tackles
1-2 Linebackers
Free Safety (projecting Dawkins to start at SS, which many might not agree with)
Right Tackle (I'd like us to keep Harris, but that doesn't seem likely)
Tight End
Backup RB
Fullback

then possibly a CB if Cox is unavailable, and add depth at DE behind Dumervil and Ayers. That is a whole lot of needs...