01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
For those interested. Talks Fox, Tebow, Bailey, grading our current roster:

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/MikeEvansScottHastings/Story.aspx?ID=1344250

Cito Pelon
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
How about a recap?

meangene
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Xanders sounds like a clueless dolt who is in way over his head.

baja
01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Xanders sounds like a clueless dolt who is in way over his head.

...and weak, very weak. Sure doesn't sound like a fast thinking, tough, decisive GM type guy. Kinda shocking to listen to him really.

meangene
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
...and weak, very weak. Sure doesn't sound like a fast thinking, tough, decisive GM type guy. Kinda shocking to listen to him really.

It really is. Makes me very uncomfortable about the draft if he really has a big role. Somehow, I see him just being pushed to the background again - at least I hope so.

Inkana7
01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
People hear what they want to hear.

listopencil
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
People hear what they want to hear.

Nah, he really does make a bad interview. He sounds like he is uncomfortable with attention. I assumed this is what Elway meant when he scolded Xanders about "hiding".

crush17
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
He's always been terrible in interviews. He had one before the draft last year and he just sounded like a bumbling moron.

montrose
01-14-2011, 06:15 PM
7 posts and no Pizza jokes? The OM is going down the tubes.

baja
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
He's always been terrible in interviews. He had one before the draft last year and he just sounded like a bumbling moron.

He must be related to Pat.

peacepipe
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
OT.What's going on with posting threads?

baja
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
OT.What's going on with posting threads?

you need a short title then you can edit it to what you want after it loads.

peacepipe
01-14-2011, 06:21 PM
you need a short title then you can edit it to what you want after it loads.

Thanks

Rohirrim
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I liked it. Makes me feel better about Xanders. At least enough to give him a year. Like he said, he wasn't making the final call on these decisions, and obviously didn't agree with many of them (like Hillis). I'm defintely going to support him, right up until he does something I think is stupid in the draft. ;D

srphoenix
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
he sounded decent on the Tebow documentary, but who knows how many takes that took to get a good soundbite out of him.

Dedhed
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Nah, he really does make a bad interview. He sounds like he is uncomfortable with attention.

And you either to take that to mean that he's uncomfortable with attention, or you make the blind leap and assume that anyone who doesn't like attention or interview well is a bumbling idiot.

Most of the smartest people I know aren't big fans of public speaking or being put in the spotlight. It's asinine to assume it's more than that.

But I'm sure most OMers know more about football than he does, they just choose to post here instead of getting paid millions of dollars to work in football.

baja
01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
And you either to take that to mean that he's uncomfortable with attention, or you make the blind leap and assume that anyone who doesn't like attention or interview well is a bumbling idiot.

Most of the smartest people I know aren't big fans of public speaking or being put in the spotlight. It's asinine to assume it's more than that.

But I'm sure most OMers know more about football than he does, they just choose to post here instead of getting paid millions of dollars to work in football.

did you listen to it?

titan
01-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I would have preferred an experienced GM, but I think Xanders can be OK now that Elway and Fox have strong roles. I sense the key personnel decisions will be made by Elway and Fox anyway and Xanders role could be one more of organizing the data and coordinating the scouts.

KipCorrington25
01-14-2011, 07:39 PM
He's a bit awkward, you just hope he's one of those savant types... you hope a lot.

We'll see.

Hamrob
01-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Crazy! Give the guy a break.

This is a new day for our Broncos!

Elway is running the show and Fox has plenty of experience. Let' see how Xanders does in the draft and the offseason to include free agency. Hopefully we'll have forgetten all this hate by the time the season starts.

baja
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Crazy! Give the guy a break.

This is a new day for our Broncos!

Elway is running the show and Fox has plenty of experience. Let' see how Xanders does in the draft and the offseason to include free agency. Hopefully we'll have forgetten all this hate by the time the season starts.

There's no hate the guy sounds like a babbling idiot that's all. He sounds like a guy that spends time to come up with the answer he thinks you want to hear rather than just go ahead and speak his truth.

Rohirrim
01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
There's no hate the guy sounds like a babbling idiot that's all. He sounds like a guy that spends time to come up with the answer he thinks you want to hear rather than just go ahead and speak his truth.

I just think you have something against his Dan Reeves accent. :poke:

baja
01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I just think you have something against his Dan Reeves accent. :poke:

At least Reeves had a set of balls. ;D

baja
01-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I want to know how ran last years draft. Trading down grabbing a great WR than trading back up and taking what looks like a epic QB. Than grabbing extra 7th round picks and scoring Quan.

After listening to Xanders I doubt it was him.

TonyR
01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I sense the key personnel decisions will be made by Elway and Fox anyway...

Anybody know how much personnel/draft say Fox had in Carolina?

ZONA
01-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Who gives a F how good or bad he is at radio interviews. For real. So commenting on his interview skills seems lame IMO. He had good info on what him and Josh liked about Tebow when the flew down to interview him. Said his football IQ was off the charts "like he was an assistant coach". He was zipped lip about the Hillis thing but from his tone I sense that was more about Josh just not liking Hillis much. Other then that, seemed like most football interview talk stuff to me.

We're confident moving forward
We like the people we have
Alot depends on the CBA
Yadda Yadda Yadda

Steve Sewell
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
It really sounds like we have a pretty solid scouting department to me. If I were Elway, this is how I would do it:

1) Fox and coaching staff help to identify areas of need
2) Scouts recommend top available players at these positions
3) Xanders brings the list of players, as well as pizza a pop to Fox and Elway
4) They come to a "consensus"
5) Elway and Fox sign off on the draft board
6) Xanders calculates draft values for trading up/down and salary cap implications...basically pizzaboy/numbercruncher

meangene
01-15-2011, 04:06 AM
It really sounds like we have a pretty solid scouting department to me. If I were Elway, this is how I would do it:

6) Xanders calculates draft values for trading up/down and salary cap implications...basically pizzaboy/numbercruncher

Sounds about right to me! :thumbsup:

Drek
01-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Xanders claims McDaniels ran the show, so why would we even debate who gets credit?

McDaniels, obviously. Xanders' biggest decision over the last two years came when McDaniels was in the middle of trading back up for Tebow and Xanders had to decided pepperoni or sausage all on his own.

The last two years have been Kieth Kidd and Matt Russell putting together rankings on all the prospects in the draft, where they're expected to go and how well they fit our system. Xanders has basically just been handing that list to McDaniels who then makes all the moves to acquire his guys.

I'm betting that this time next year Xanders is out on his ass and either Kidd or Russell get the bump to GM.

NYBronco
01-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Xanders adresses the Champ Baily issue of resigning and removing the offer at the 3 minutes left in the interview mark.

I thought Xanders handled the questions all things considered (CBA unknowns, legal implications and Broncos/players best interests) well. If anyone sounded rough and immature it was Mike and Scott with their school girl giggles and show of excitement and they do this for a living. I do agree with Mike and Scott's comment near the end that Xanders needs to be heard from more often.

CEH
01-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Did you hear his first reponse.

There were alot transactions on offense and defense that moved fast.
i.e. Josh made alot of decisions without letting others know what was going on

I hear lot of football ppl like our scouting deptartment.

I really hope it was Xanders more so than Josh that manipulated the draft last year. The players drafted can be debated but with a little luck on their side they executed a perfect game plan during day one of the draft.

BroncoBuff
01-15-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm betting that this time next year Xanders is out on his ass and either Kidd or Russell get the bump to GM.

I know I'm a broken record, but why not Jim Goodman in, Xanders out (or at least minimized)?

Elway could be the face of the front office, Goodman and Russell could do the grunt work and evaluations. Goodman can take the GM title ... it's been in name only around here for 30+ years anyway.

I honestly don't think John is ready for prime time. I don't think he comprehends the kind of work involved, and I'm not sure if he could do it even if he did. Let him be the face of things, plenty of solid football people behind him. That'd work I think.

yerner
01-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Not bad.

Inkana7
01-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I know I'm a broken record, but why not Jim Goodman in, Xanders out (or at least minimized)?

Elway could be the face of the front office, Goodman and Russell could do the grunt work and evaluations. Goodman can take the GM title ... it's been in name only around here for 30+ years anyway.

I honestly don't think John is ready for prime time. I don't think he comprehends the kind of work involved, and I'm not sure if he could do it even if he did. Let him be the face of things, plenty of solid football people behind him. That'd work I think.

So, why can't he comprehend it, but you somehow can?

55CrushEm
01-15-2011, 08:16 AM

And Pat Bowlen gives terrible interviews too, and sounds horrible as a public speaker! Oh noes.....he's a crappy owner!

::)

baja
01-15-2011, 08:21 AM
he sounded decent on the Tebow documentary, but who knows how many takes that took to get a good soundbite out of him.

Is that on the Internet yet?

tsiguy96
01-15-2011, 08:26 AM

LOL!

love message boards

baja
01-15-2011, 08:34 AM
And Pat Bowlen gives terrible interviews too, and sounds horrible as a public speaker! Oh noes.....he's a crappy owner!

::)

I understand it's a new day and all but the question remains who let Josh run wild if not Pat Bowlen and the bigger question is will John Elway be able to safe guard against those sort of things. Does the ship now have a captain?

meangene
01-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Why wait?

gunns
01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm hoping Xanders had nada to do with the 1st pick in the draft last year or the draft as a whole. While we got some players I really like, I still cannot comprehend taking a WR as the first pick. A WR is not going to immensely improve the team and can be found in later rounds. Plus the lack of defense.

anon
01-15-2011, 03:10 PM
He's not super smooth or as practiced with dealing with the media, but for most of the interview, it seems like Xanders was biting his tongue, catching some of his thoughts before speaking out, trying to be as diplomatic as possible when discussing what happened during the McD years.

Popps
01-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Hilarious!

colonelbeef
01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
It really is. Makes me very uncomfortable about the draft if he really has a big role. Somehow, I see him just being pushed to the background again - at least I hope so.

Why is he still there?

The guy helped oversee this embarrassment- why is he still involved in any capacity?

Makes no sense any way you look at it.

Drek
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Why wait?

Politics. Ellis wants his pet Xanders to get a "real shot" when Ellis is directly responsible for letting McDaniels take over everything in the first place.

I'm betting by this time next year Ellis is relegated to only marketing decisions and Xanders is out on his ass. He's got "nowhere to hide" in Elway's words.

SoCalBronco
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Why is he still there?

The guy helped oversee this embarrassment- why is he still involved in any capacity?

Makes no sense any way you look at it.

Because he's a pushover and isn't a threat to anyone in the building. He's got a little knowledge of cap issues and CBA issues, so he can offer something to them I guess, but outside of that he's just a big puss. The biggest thing he has going for him is that no one really fears him stepping on their toes or consolidating power in any way. I'm sure pretty soon its going to be all about Elway and Fox. Xanders will always be treated like a non person in the organization, IMO.

baja
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Because he's a pushover and isn't a threat to anyone in the building. He's got a little knowledge of cap issues and CBA issues, so he can offer something to them I guess, but outside of that he's just a big puss. The biggest thing he has going for him is that no one really fears him stepping on their toes or consolidating power in any way. I'm sure pretty soon its going to be all about Elway and Fox. Xanders will always be treated like a non person in the organization, IMO.

He must have some skills to be where he is in the first place but they sure are not evident in his interview. Pat must have meant him in the "Conquer your Fear of Public Speaking" seminar they both attended.

orange crusher
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM

This.

meangene
01-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Politics. Ellis wants his pet Xanders to get a "real shot" when Ellis is directly responsible for letting McDaniels take over everything in the first place.

I'm betting by this time next year Ellis is relegated to only marketing decisions and Xanders is out on his ass. He's got "nowhere to hide" in Elway's words.

Yes, this is exactly why he is still here, but, he really is an embarrassment and should be seen and not heard.

Fortunately, this is also true.

mikey555
01-16-2011, 06:07 AM

He better get it right Elway prefers pepperoni with double cheese!!!

Ray Finkle
01-16-2011, 06:22 AM

I don't get the love affair with the Goodmans, they hit on one draft really. Jim didn't want to be a sole GM, he liked his scouting work better.

footstepsfrom#27
01-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I understand why Bowlen wants to avoid the mistake of giving Shanny-like power to another coach, but doesn't that approach make more sense when we're talking about a 32 year old, not a guy whose been coaching in the NFL over 20 years? Why should Elway be the guy who Fox has to go through on his players. Didn't John already say he's not qualified to work on the personell side of things? A few weeks later it seems that's all been forgotten.

colonelbeef
01-16-2011, 09:13 AM

You know, now that you mention it, I bet he has been retained as the next fall guy if things go wrong, or dont progress quickly enough.

Firing John Elway would be a bit tricky to say the least.

BroncoBuff
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm sure pretty soon its going to be all about Elway and Fox. Xanders will always be treated like a non person in the organization, IMO.

It's a proud Broncos Tradition ... from Grady Alderman to Hein Poulus to John Beake to Ted Sundquist and now Mr. X.