PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Forecast

StugotsIII
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
The John Fox era has begun...

Offense:

Look for Fox to bring in another running back either via free agency or the draft. Moreno is solid, but Fox along with most of the NFL loves using a two headed monster. Perhaps he tabs Jonathon Stewart, but Denver will certainly look to improve it's running game in the offseason.

Tim Tebow will be the quarterback of the Denver Broncos next year. I'm a HUGE college football fan and never rooted for him and always said he would be an NFL bust. I also know that every time I bet against him, it didn't end well for me. Never....ever bet against Tim Tebow. If anyone saw the documentary about him on ESPN you know he will not be out worked. He played well when given the chance and was a very productive player.

Kyle Orton, who did well statistically with Denver never really fit. He may be used as trade bait and shown the door. Brady Quinn will hopefully be shot.:rofl:

Tebow will have a stable of WR's to throw to and that group will be a strength of the team next year. With Lloyd and the younger guys, they will be able to move the chains.

The offensive line is in need of some work as well. Look for Denver to upgrade that via free agency and the draft.

The Defense:

The defense is a total nightmare. A mix of draft busts and old veterans, with an ever changing scheme is a recipe for disaster. Fox will most likely switch Denver back to a 4-3 and the draft will most likely be all about defense, and defensive line. The Broncos will get Doom back which will immediately improve a terrible pass rush.

The defensive line and front seven in general were terrible against the run. The first three picks could be all defensive line/line backers. Don't be shocked if Da'quan Bowers and Cameron Heyward are drafted in the first round or two...

Bowers was one of the best recruits in the nation coming out of HS and he actually lived up to his billing. Bowers was the #1 DE in the country and went to Clemson. Heyward is the son of Ironhead Heyward and was a beast his last two season at OSU.

Coach Fox is a professional. McDaniel's was not. The Broncos made far too many dumb mistakes during games that should have been fixed in the preseason. Fox won't let that happen. Fox will build a winner in Denver.

Though he isn't the sexiest of coaching selections, he's often had his teams in the playoffs and nearly beat the Patriots for a Super Bowl.

Next year will be another rough year, but will be better than this year by far. A tighter defense, less mental errors all around and the development of an exciting young QB is what Denver fans can look forward to.

bpc
01-14-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't think we're that bad off. Going into the draft I would commit to finding some impact defensive players. Upgrade the offense and defense through FA. Resign Champ. The ZBS will work pretty quickly IMO with our linemen already in tow. This offense will be great for Tebow as he continues to mature as a passer but now we incorporate more PA's and bootlegs.

I imagine the defense moves to a 4-3. Lots of premium grade A defensive linemen in this draft and we have a chance to grab two or three of them. I'd probably go Fairley first and angle to get one of the Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State kids.

If there is a solid deal on the table to move back in the draft, I look at that. We have plenty of areas where we have to get better.

Day 1 and we already have the best coach in the division. I could see this team pushing .500 next year which would be a solid step. Hell, next year the AFC West could be like the NFC West. That might win you a division, who knows?

Borks147
01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Speaking of the ZBS - do we keep Harris now? What is the deal there?

Killericon
01-14-2011, 01:34 AM
The only offensive position I hope Fox puts any resources into is TE. Other than that, draft front 7 and sign DBs.

TheChamp24
01-14-2011, 07:14 AM
I honestly think Dumervil is much better suited for the 3-4 than 4-3. He's decent in a 4-3, but potential stud in a 3-4.
Our defense is just a complete mess and makes me cry thinking about it honestly. The DL is poor/average, LB unit is average, CB is going to be severely hurt if Champ leaves, and the safety position is iffy.

oubronco
01-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I wonder how bad of a meltdown would ensue if fox traded doom and champ.

DrFate
01-14-2011, 08:07 AM
With a 4th place schedule and a grown-up running things, the Broncos should battle for .500 this year (such is my forecast)

Has the oppoenent schedule been released?

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2011, 08:15 AM
With a 4th place schedule and a grown-up running things, the Broncos should battle for .500 this year (such is my forecast)

Has the oppoenent schedule been released?

We play our usual division games, the NFC North, the AFC East, Cincinatti, and Tennessee

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Assuming it is a 16 game schedule.....

DrFate
01-14-2011, 08:22 AM
We play our usual division games, the NFC North, the AFC East, Cincinatti, and Tennessee

Thanks

Not happy to see the AFCE on that list...

Rohirrim
01-14-2011, 08:45 AM

I won't be surprised at all if he trades Doom. And I won't mind, if we get a ****load of picks to make up for it. There are some very good Dlinemen in this draft. Having two picks in the first round and three seconds (Orton) would be awesome. Come out of this draft with something on the order of Bowers and Paea in the first and I'm a happy camper. Champ is either re-signed or leaves, IIRC.

oubronco
01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
More picks in the first three rounds would be awesome

TailgateNut
01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
I won't be surprised at all if he trades Doom. And I won't mind, if we get a ****load of picks to make up for it. There are some very good Dlinemen in this draft. Having two picks in the first round and three seconds (Orton) would be awesome. Come out of this draft with something on the order of Bowers and Paea in the first and I'm a happy camper. Champ is either re-signed or leaves, IIRC.

Who in their right mind would gamble on Doom after his injury and considering the price (contract$ and picks) he would demand.

ColoradoDarin
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
I just hope Fox starts fixing this stuff in 2011 and doesn't wait a whole year :)

ColoradoBuff
01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Elway stated that Fox has run both the 3-4 and 4-3 and will determine what he will run after evaluating the personel.

StugotsIII
01-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Why would you trade a proven pass rusher for a bunch of unknown variables?

razorwire77
01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think we're that bad off. Going into the draft I would commit to finding some impact defensive players. Upgrade the offense and defense through FA. Resign Champ. The ZBS will work pretty quickly IMO with our linemen already in tow. This offense will be great for Tebow as he continues to mature as a passer but now we incorporate more PA's and bootlegs.

Yeah, if we're creating a list, impact defensive players have to be the priority with both free agency and the draft.

1.) Resign Champ
2.) Draft or FA signing at CB with Cox's legal problems, and Goodman's health problems.
3.) If we switch back to 4-3, D.J. is serviceable, but Fox and staff will have to determine quickly if Joe Mays is a suitable two down Mike in a 4-3. Philly didn't seem to think so, because of his liabilities in pass coverage . If he's not, we need a middle LB.
4.) I think we have OK 43 rotational depth along the D-line. Williams, Thomas, Bannan etc. What we are missing is a guy that's going absorb blockers and draw double teams to get Doom and Ayers in single blocker pass rushing situations. This where a guy like Fairley could be huge if he doesn't bust out as soon as he gets a check.

On offense, we need a complementary speed/scat back to complement Moreno. Even if Moreno is healthy, we still lack RB depth.

I know he's catches a lot of justified **** on here, but Brady Quinn is a serviceable backup to Tebow. However, we might want to burn a late 6th rounder on a practice squad QB

I'm pretty comfortable with our O-line, assuming we don't get hit with injuries again. Walton deserves another year, considering center is the 2nd hardest position on offense. Overall, Walton had a decent rookie season . Kuper and Clady should be fine in a ZBS if we return to it. We should make an effort to sign Harris, but between the injuries and inconsistency, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a 2nd rounder on RT, assuming Front 7 is addressed with 1st rounder and 2nd rounder A.

bendog
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM

I think Doom's contract makes him pretty untradeable, and regardless of scheme he's about the only player on defense who can make plays resulting in big losses or turnovers. I know people talk about tagging and trading champ, but if the result of the lockout is that salaries are flat or trending downward, paying champ based on Alpahbet's and Revis's contracts is sort of unappealing. But, Champ's an intelligent person, and with a new coach and Elway in the front office, I think he could see why Bowlen pulled a contract that had been negotiated by the front office that he was cutting loose. Champ probably gave Den a home team discount in that contract, and he now says that that's not gonna happen, though if all things are equal and Den's gonna try to be a good team he'd rather stay. I think he may find that the market for 33 year old corners in 2011 is not what it was in 2010.

strafen
01-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Most important. Get a seasoned, experienced defensive coordinator.
All the talent in the world won't matter if Wink is still our DC.
I'm sure he will eventually be a good DC, but right now we can't afford to have a DC learn the ropes when this team is so badly defensively, is not even funny...

Rohirrim
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Who in their right mind would gamble on Doom after his injury and considering the price (contract$ and picks) he would demand.

Sounds now like we're sticking with the 3-4. So the point is mute. :

TheChamp24
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
One scenario here:
Trade Orton and hope for a 2nd round pick, maybe at best 3rd/4th round.
Trade Dumervil for a 1st and 3rd round pick.
Champ leaves in free agency for a contender

We can take a couple DL prospects, CB prospect, TE, and RB/OL/S depth.

Taco John
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

We're looking for someone in their wrong mind... ;)

Rascal
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM

hard to trade a player who isn't under contract.