PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Panthers Free Agents

ICON
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
who do you think John Fox will try and make a move on D Will or some other player(s) from the Panthers??

DeAngelo Williams (CAR) – Jonathan Stewart and the emergence of Mike Goodson could make DeAngelo Williams expendable to the Panthers. After a short-lived, ineffective 2010 season, a tag and trade seems less likely. If he’s an unrestricted free agent after this year, Williams could leave Carolina for a team willing to offer him a starting position and the money that comes along with it.

Ryan Kalil (CAR) – The Panthers have an uphill battle to return to the playoffs and seemingly have holes at nearly every position. However, center is not one of them, with Ryan Kalil playing consistently good football for them for the entirety of his rookie contract.

Charles Johnson (CAR) – Julius who? The Panthers replaced Peppers with 2007 3rd round pick, who quietly reached double digit sacks and surpassed Peppers’ sack total this year.

James Anderson (CAR) – The breakout of strongside linebacker James Anderson has been one of the bright spot for the Panthers. Anderson has done a nice job of filling the stat sheet and has been every bit as productive for the Panthers defense as it looks on paper.

Thomas Davis (CAR) – Before suffering a torn ACL, Thomas Davis was having his best season as the Panthers’ outside linebacker. Shortly after recovering, Davis suffered a 2nd torn ACL, which has kept him off the field for all of 2010. Who knows how effective he’ll be when he returns to the field.

Richard Marshall (CAR) – Marshall has been okay in coverage over the years, but good in run support. He won’t be at the top of the Panthers priority list, .

TheReverend
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Hopefully every single one of them.

:)

schaaf
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I wouldnt mind if he picked up any of them.

Tim
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
charles johnson would be nice

Broncoman13
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Dis!

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Are we still assuming he's gonna go 4-3? Has he had any experience or said anything in the past to suggest he'll consider 3-4? Don't know much about Fox, he was always just that loser coach in Carolina so never paid attention.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Are we still assuming he's gonna go 4-3? Has he had any experience or said anything in the past to suggest he'll consider 3-4? Don't know much about Fox, he was always just that loser coach in Carolina so never paid attention.

Yeah, that loser coach without any back-to-back losing seasons on his record, several playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance.

You're as smart as we thought you were.

Archer81
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Fox wont bring any of them in. Elway and Xanders will...

:Broncos:

TheReverend
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Does it matter? Everyone of these guys hits a position of need!

A guy like Deangelo Williams takes a LOT of load off Moreno. Maybe he can become a solid contributor in an evenly shared carry role.

Ryan Kalil solidifies the interior of our OL where we currently have the worst center in the NFL.

Charles Johnson would be an outstanding player in a 4-3 OR a 3-4 standing up and rushing the passer opposite Elvis.

We need LBers like crazy and James Anderson would be just what the doctor ordered.

Thomas Davis can go back to being the SS that he was meant to be here.

Richard Marshall is slightly above average, but he's more talented, younger and better than Goodman.

gunns
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I really like Johnson and Marshall. Just say NO to Williams.

cousinal11
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
charles johnson would be nice

Any of those guys would help.

Wouldn't be crazy about breaking the bank on DeAngelo, however.

rbackfactory80
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM

C'mon man.

ICON
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM

People always say that in his 9 years he only got them to the playoffs 3 times. Well, in how many of those seasons were they just riddled with injuries? In 2006 the panthers had a ton of injuries on the defense and offense. In 2007, Delhomme was playing lights out until he hurt his elbow and thus resulting in the quarterback shuffle that occurred there. Im sure at times Fox was frustrating, but he was never incompetent. He was never very revealing to the media and there fans, but he was well-respected by the players who played hard underneath him.

I really hope he brings Skipper with him We need him as RB coach.

WABronco
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Not a fan of committing large dollars to a FA running back. Just find one in the mid to late rounds and plug that **** in.

frerottenextelway
01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Long snapper?

cousinal11
01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
People always say that in his 9 years he only got them to the playoffs 3 times. Well, in how many of those seasons were they just riddled with injuries? In 2006 the panthers had a ton of injuries on the defense and offense. In 2007, Delhomme was playing lights out until he hurt his elbow and thus resulting in the quarterback shuffle that occurred there. Im sure at times Fox was frustrating, but he was never incompetent. He was never very revealing to the media and there fans, but he was well-respected by the players who played hard underneath him.

I think 4 out of his 9 years the QB didn't het hurt. 1 he went to the SB vs NE (loss by 3), 1 to the NFC Championship vs Sea, and 1 time Delhome turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game vs Ari.

Killericon
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Long snapper?

:rofl:

schaaf
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I would say if you can get Deangelo for fairly cheap bring him in. It could be very worth it trying to pick up Johnson and Davis

cutthemdown
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
A lot depends on what teams do with the CBA in limbo. WHo knows what FA will even be like. Also who knows what guys resign with teams.

Having said that it is logical a coach would look to a couple former players. I would rather look at the Raider FA.

Micheal Bush, Zach Miller, Gallery, Asa, hurt thine enemy.

serious hops
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't object to any of them, but if I had to pick one I'd probably take Ryan Kahlil or Charles Johnson. I'm guessing those'll be their top priorities to re-sign, though.

I've been a big fan of Deangelo Williams dating back to the draft, but I would be a little wary of him depending on the price. If he's not looking for that big contract he could be a fantastic pickup-- he has great vision and instincts, good burst, and some versatility. And I don't think he's run into the ground just yet-- he's a guy that very well could have a couple of big seasons left in him IF he can stay healthy for the better part of sixteen games, but that's always been the rub with Deangelo.

ICON
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I think 4 out of his 9 years the QB didn't het hurt. 1 he went to the SB vs NE (loss by 3), 1 to the NFC Championship vs Sea, and 1 time Delhome turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game vs Ari.

I think this is a good hire for us Broncos. We have the clout and resources to go out and let him get a good offensive coordinator, something they seemingly could never do, and with John Elway involved in the front office, I would imagine the offense will be more creative.

back on topic... I think Marshall will come to Denver he drafted him.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
All of those names would be nice additions, depending on price. Kalil would be the best, but Carolina will most likely pay him. I wouldn't want to pay much for DeAngelo. I like him, and he would be a good addition with Moreno. But as others have said, i'd rather draft a capable back in the mid-rounds and spend the money elsewhere. Derrick Locke is the guy I have been championing in the 6th round if he is still on the board.

schaaf
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Derrick Locke? where is he from?

What is some info on him? Too lazy to look him up myself

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that loser coach without any back-to-back losing seasons on his record, several playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance.

You're as smart as we thought you were.

Haha... you're definitely a glass half full kinda guy.

8-8, 7-9, 8-8, 2-14...

You're right, no back to back losing seasons. He hasn't even led his team to a winning season since '05-'06 though.

In fact, I think I counted two winning seasons through his entire tenure at Carolina. But, hey, at least he didn't have losing seasons back to back!

serious hops
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Derrick Locke is the guy I have been championing in the 6th round if he is still on the board.

I didn't see any of their games this season, but I remember watching watching a few a year or two ago, and he stuck out to me. Looked like a decisive runner with a serious burst. Pretty small, though-- has he bulked up some?

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Derrick Locke? where is he from?

What is some info on him? Too lazy to look him up myself

Kentucky. Small back, but very talented. Explosive, versatile. Can make the home run plays that our current stable of backs cannot. Projected to run in the 4.3s in the 40 yard dash.

From Walter Football:

Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
Height: 5-9. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

10/1/10: Locke lacks size, but he runs with authority and has tremendous speed. He has strung togther four straight 100-yard rushing games. Locke is No. 8 in the nation in total rushing yards. A big Senior Bowl could propel this back into the third round for a team looking for a speedy backup.

3/29/10: Despite being hampered by sore knees toward the end of the season, Derrick Locke rushed for 908 yards (4.6 YPC) and caught 31 balls in 2009. He'll be a third-down back/kick returner (he averaged 27 yards on kickoff returns.)

CBS projects him as a 6th rounder. He could jump up after the combine. If we somehow get a 4 or 5 that would be a good spot to target him

Evenrude
01-13-2011, 07:41 PM
DeAngelo Williams is old and busted IMO. Grab somebody in the 3rd or 4th round with fresh legs to spell Moreno (Helu Jr maybe?)

DiRyan Kalil or Charles Johnson would be great additions. If this team is going to get better it needs to start on both lines.

schaaf
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Kentucky. Small back, but very talented. Explosive, versatile. Can make the home run plays that our current stable of backs cannot. Projected to run in the 4.3s in the 40 yard dash.

From Walter Football:

Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
Height: 5-9. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

10/1/10: Locke lacks size, but he runs with authority and has tremendous speed. He has strung togther four straight 100-yard rushing games. Locke is No. 8 in the nation in total rushing yards. A big Senior Bowl could propel this back into the third round for a team looking for a speedy backup.

3/29/10: Despite being hampered by sore knees toward the end of the season, Derrick Locke rushed for 908 yards (4.6 YPC) and caught 31 balls in 2009. He'll be a third-down back/kick returner (he averaged 27 yards on kickoff returns.)

CBS projects him as a 6th rounder. He could jump up after the combine. If we somehow get a 4 or 5 that would be a good spot to target him

Good! I really want someone that could hit a homerun on an occasional play. We definitely need someone to compliment Moreno in the backfield (hopefully someone with speed)

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Well, again, I never paid much attention to them.

That said, some teams get the injury bug. All will get it at some point. If one team regularly gets it, there's a reason. There's no surprise Martz' QBs get f'ed up. Just to throw an example out there.

I want Spagnuolo (or however it's spelt) last go 'round but at least I bought into the McD thing. Thought we could shoot for the stars with his system and see where we ended up. This time, I feel like we're shooting for .500.

I have nothing against him. As I said, when you're regularly hanging around the cellar in the dynasty of the last decade that was the NFC South, I don't pay much attention. Maybe he's just the boring hire so I don't feel the hype. Sadly, I will say, he was probably the best of the last three.

flair
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Not a fan of committing large dollars to a FA running back. Just find one in the mid to late rounds and plug that **** in.

I have to agree. Work on our D more than anything.

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Does it matter? Everyone of these guys hits a position of need!

A guy like Deangelo Williams takes a LOT of load off Moreno. Maybe he can become a solid contributor in an evenly shared carry role.

Ryan Kalil solidifies the interior of our OL where we currently have the worst center in the NFL.

Charles Johnson would be an outstanding player in a 4-3 OR a 3-4 standing up and rushing the passer opposite Elvis.

We need LBers like crazy and James Anderson would be just what the doctor ordered.

Thomas Davis can go back to being the SS that he was meant to be here.

Richard Marshall is slightly above average, but he's more talented, younger and better than Goodman.

And I agree that we could use some of their players. It just matters to know how badly. If we're going 4-3 and the FO decides they need to send McD's 3-4 guys packing, the need goes up. If we're going 4-3 and can use the current guys, we have to compare who is better and would bump someone from the roster. I would rather not see what we had at CB last year where we ended up sending away potential talent in Alphonso because we brought in too many talented players at the position.

Also, as I don't know much about the Carolina players, if we were going to slowly transition back to the 3-4 then the first move, presumably, would not be to stock up on a bunch of 4-3 players but rather those who can 'tween it. Just the reason I was asking.

schaaf
I think with the Fox hire we will definitely have Champ back next year.

Agamemnon

8-8, 7-9, 8-8, 2-14...

You're right, no back to back losing seasons. He hasn't even led his team to a winning season since '05-'06 though.

In fact, I think I counted two winning seasons through his entire tenure at Carolina. But, hey, at least he didn't have losing seasons back to back!

They were 12-4 in 2008. Sweet lord the nonsense people post...

strafen
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm pretty sure Fox would know which ones could help us.
It looks like s bunch of solid players that can come in a give us an immediate boost...

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
And I agree that we could use some of their players. It just matters to know how badly. If we're going 4-3 and the FO decides they need to send McD's 3-4 guys packing, the need goes up. If we're going 4-3 and can use the current guys, we have to compare who is better and would bump someone from the roster. I would rather not see what we had at CB last year where we ended up sending away potential talent in Alphonso because we brought in too many talented players at the position.

Also, as I don't know much about the Carolina players, if we were going to slowly transition back to the 3-4 then the first move, presumably, would not be to stock up on a bunch of 4-3 players but rather those who can 'tween it. Just the reason I was asking.

I'd be shocked if we stick with the 3-4.

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
They were 12-4 in 2008. Sweet lord the nonsense people post...

I stand corrected, I must've skipped one.

That's where that 3rd winning season was. I saw it in a subsequent post after I looked it up that there was 3 but I only saw 2.

Do errors always count as nonsense or just when everyone's trying to fall in love with the new guy all over again?

Taco John
01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
That 2008 season that DeAngelo Williams had was sick.

Inkana7
I'd be cool with any of those guys, but if we go after a Free Agent RB, I want Michael Bush. A Bush/Moreno backfield would be pretty damn solid.

Agamemnon
I stand corrected, I must've skipped one.

That's where that 3rd winning season was. I saw it in a subsequent post after I looked it up that there was 3 but I only saw 2.

Do errors always count as nonsense or just when everyone's trying to fall in love with the new guy all over again?

It may have been an error, but when you come in acting like you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't? That my friend = nonsense.

Inkana7
That 2008 season that DeAngelo Williams had was sick.

This. If it wasn't for the recent injuries, I'd say throw money at Williams, because he was looking like one of the best RBs in the NFL in 2008.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I'd be cool with any of those guys, but if we go after a Free Agent RB, I want Michael Bush. A Bush/Moreno backfield would be pretty damn solid.

Always an added bonus to take away from a division opponent. That would be an excellent tandem.

Requiem
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Everyone would deserve a look, especially if we are going back to the 4-3 -- those players would have familiarity and continuity. They also build upon poor places on our team.

That One Guy
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
It may have been an error, but when you come in acting like you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't? That my friend = nonsense.

Can I mention more times in a single thread that I didn't give two glances in Carolina's direction for the last decade because they were rarely significant to the NFL? I think I mentioned somewhere in just about all of my posts that I didn't really know anything about them because I didn't pay any attention to them. I was just looking to see the record because he mentioned it and noticed that it was a lot of .500 and just below .500 seasons and he was splitting hairs to have a point. He still had 8-8 seasons alongside 7-9 seasons. He may have been technically correct but 7-9 or 8-8 doesn't mean crap to me.

bpc
01-13-2011, 08:15 PM
There are some really great names on this list.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Can I mention more times in a single thread that I didn't give two glances in Carolina's direction for the last decade because they were rarely significant to the NFL? I think I mentioned somewhere in just about all of my posts that I didn't really know anything about them because I didn't pay any attention to them. I was just looking to see the record because he mentioned it and noticed that it was a lot of .500 and just below .500 seasons and he was splitting hairs to have a point. He still had 8-8 seasons alongside 7-9 seasons. He may have been technically correct but 7-9 or 8-8 doesn't mean crap to me.

They won 5 playoff games in his nine seasons. That's one less than our entire division managed in the same time-span. You really aren't making this any better.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2011, 08:40 PM
DeAngelo Williams is old and busted IMO. Grab somebody in the 3rd or 4th round with fresh legs to spell Moreno (Helu Jr maybe?)

DiRyan Kalil or Charles Johnson would be great additions. If this team is going to get better it needs to start on both lines.

Agreed. Those are the two we should target. They're both young too which is a big bonus. Maybe one of the linebackers as well.

Screw the rest, including Williams.

Those signings would allow for some big moves in the draft to hit key spots with impact players.

GoHAM
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd pass on DeAngelo Williams, unless he comes for a reasonable price. The big knock against DeAngelo coming out of college was that he already had lots of mileage on his body from carrying the ball so much in college (900+ carries).

Looks like those concerns are starting to catch up with him.

schaaf
01-13-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/wyoming-who-cares-1.jpg

gunns
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
This. If it wasn't for the recent injuries, I'd say throw money at Williams, because he was looking like one of the best RBs in the NFL in 2008.

He had 18 TD's that season, 15 in the second half. He is injury prone and I find him to be a very inconsistent runner. Besides that 2008 season, there's nothing much to brag about him. Pass

Vegas_Bronco
01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Where is TJ and his band of devil herders? I've had look for through 2 threads and still no comment from him.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd pass on DeAngelo Williams, unless he comes for a reasonable price. The big knock against DeAngelo coming out of college was that he already had lots of mileage on his body from carrying the ball so much in college (900+ carries).

Looks like those concerns are starting to catch up with him.

The key is getting a reasonable price obviously. If he wants big bucks I likewise say pass. I do think he'd go well in tandem with Moreno. But, as you say, only at a reasonable price. The question is what is reasonable?

4 years for 18 million is something I could totally live with.

zdoor
01-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Always an added bonus to take away from a division opponent. That would be an excellent tandem.

I like the idea of signing Bush too...

zdoor
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
There are some really great names on this list.

In spots we are weak...

extralife
01-14-2011, 01:59 AM
I think DeAngelo Williams would be a great fit and I fully expect him to be here if the price tag isn't too high.

Boomhauer
01-14-2011, 02:47 AM
From OP -
"The Panthers have an uphill battle to return to the playoffs and seemingly have holes at nearly every position."

Isn't that the Broncos problem and the FO was going to find a coach that could fix it? :stuck:

stratocat
01-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Panther fan here, reading up on opinions and this thread caught my eye.

who do you think John Fox will try and make a move on D Will or some other player(s) from the Panthers??

Entirely possible that he tries to pull some players with him.

DeAngelo Williams (CAR) – Jonathan Stewart and the emergence of Mike Goodson could make DeAngelo Williams expendable to the Panthers. After a short-lived, ineffective 2010 season, a tag and trade seems less likely. If he’s an unrestricted free agent after this year, Williams could leave Carolina for a team willing to offer him a starting position and the money that comes along with it.

I don't know what will happen here, because we do have some RB talent under contract. Personally, I'd be willing to let him go but not without much hesitation. You guys have not watched him enough to appreciate him. Great back, great teammate too. Embraced sharing carries, he knew it would extend his career.

On that note, he did have a lot of carries in school but his first couple of years as a pro, low mileage. No major injuries either, he's missed a little time but he could have come back this year, they IR'd a lot of guys for whatever reason. Needed the roster spot, season was lost, I'm not exactly sure why but they handled stuff differently this year.

And Fox will ride the heck out of a stud RB but prefers to have two good ones. I'd say you might see DW come over.

Ryan Kalil (CAR) – The Panthers have an uphill battle to return to the playoffs and seemingly have holes at nearly every position. However, center is not one of them, with Ryan Kalil playing consistently good football for them for the entirety of his rookie contract.

I'm not sure I'd pay him, or how much he wants. Don't know what the team will do, or what he wants to do. We had much poorer than expected OL play this year so I'm fighting the urge to devalue him. He's been good over his career.

Charles Johnson (CAR) – Julius who? The Panthers replaced Peppers with 2007 3rd round pick, who quietly reached double digit sacks and surpassed Peppers’ sack total this year.

I sure hope the Panthers can keep him, haven't heard anything about the situation though. I'd bet Fox would want to take him.

James Anderson (CAR) – The breakout of strongside linebacker James Anderson has been one of the bright spot for the Panthers. Anderson has done a nice job of filling the stat sheet and has been every bit as productive for the Panthers defense as it looks on paper.

He's a decent player, and had a good year but took a long time to to get on the field and wouldn't have this year had Davis stayed healthy. I don't see us paying him a lot to stay, if you go to 4-3 you might end up with him. I don't think he's critical to our plans, I guess it depends on what he wants to be paid.

Thomas Davis (CAR) – Before suffering a torn ACL, Thomas Davis was having his best season as the Panthers’ outside linebacker. Shortly after recovering, Davis suffered a 2nd torn ACL, which has kept him off the field for all of 2010. Who knows how effective he’ll be when he returns to the field.

yeah, big question mark. I think he'll re-sign, but who knows. The guy was really playing great in '09 when the knee went out. All Pro level IMO. Beast.

I saw someone say put him back at S. Forget that.

Richard Marshall (CAR) – Marshall has been okay in coverage over the years, but good in run support. He won’t be at the top of the Panthers priority list, .

And wants to get paid big time. I can't see it. Maybe Denver can. He does have some talent and knows Fox's D. If y'all run that.

Hey, good luck. Fox isn't a bad coach, you could do much worse. If he didn't rationalize those 14 losses as being all on the FO (which seems to be the way it's getting spun), maybe he learned something. Get Elway to keep him away from your offense, you might have something good.

Cheers

RunSilentRunDeep
01-14-2011, 05:49 AM
How many times has a free agent running back panned out anywhere in the NFL. The list of busts far exceeds the successes. Also for a team that isn't going to spend a lot of money, the "sign them all" attitude is silly. Walton and Beadles need to be given a chance to develop before money starts getting throw around on their replacements.

If Charles Johnson wouldn't step on Doom's role, he's the only one to consider IMO, unless Davis comes super cheap due to his injury.

Dukes
01-14-2011, 06:02 AM
How many times has a free agent running back panned out anywhere in the NFL. The list of busts far exceeds the successes. Also for a team that isn't going to spend a lot of money, the "sign them all" attitude is silly. Walton and Beadles need to be given a chance to develop before money starts getting throw around on their replacements.

If Charles Johnson wouldn't step on Doom's role, he's the only one to consider IMO, unless Davis comes super cheap due to his injury.

Cedric Benson is the only one I can think of. Even that may have only lasted one year, he wasn't very good this season.

Kaylore
01-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Yes because a rookie center who allowed .5 sacks this year is "the worst center in the league."

PRBronco
01-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Cedric Benson is the only one I can think of. Even that may have only lasted one year, he wasn't very good this season.

Michael Turner?

Ray Finkle
01-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes because a rookie center who allowed .5 sacks this year is "the worst center in the league."

Kalil is much better than Walton...

bloodsunday
01-14-2011, 06:55 AM
who do you think John Fox will try and make a move on D Will or some other player(s) from the Panthers?

Hopefully this isn't his call anymore (see McD). Sure I'd love some of those players if we think that they fit where we want to go organizationally (including Elway and Xanders).

Kaylore
01-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Of course. But we don't need to hyperbole ourselves to death and RT is probably a bigger need.

vancejohnson82
01-14-2011, 07:01 AM

8-8, 7-9, 8-8, 2-14...

I'm trying to get on board with the hiring, but people making excuses for his injury riddled teams surely werent singing that same tune for us this year.

DrFate
01-14-2011, 07:03 AM

More to the picture than sacks allowed from the middle of the DLine

That said, I'm sure there are worse centers than Walton

meangene
01-14-2011, 07:08 AM
I really don't see us adding a lot of free agents this year. Most of our areas of greatest need - DL, DB, OL (depth), RB (rotation) - are deep in this draft. I can definitely see us looking for a quality TE - Lewis, Scaife, Boss - since it is a weak TE draft. If we let Harris go, we should add a potential starter at RT in FA. Build through the draft. We should be able to get at least a 3rd for Orton and may well be able to trade back with the #2 given the anticipated rookie wage scale. I see us with 5-6 picks in the first three rounds.

Inkana7
01-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Stephen Davis for Fox in 2003 :D

2KBack
01-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Corey Dillon
Stephen Davis
Ricky Williams
Priest Holmes
Marcus Allen
Edgerrin James

Off the top of my head, one of two might be trades, but I think most were free agents.

Ray Finkle
01-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Of course. But we don't need to hyperbole ourselves to death and RT is probably a bigger need.

I would think a shift back to a ZBS scheme may entice Harris to stay.

ColoradoDarin
01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

LDT for the Jets too, seems like a pretty big list we've compiled.

Smiling Assassin27
01-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I really like Johnson and Marshall. Just say NO to Williams.

James Anderson intrigues me. Dude was a tackle machine and if there's a place we can use an upgrade, it's at LB. The problem is that Rivera's coaching there and will fight like hell to keep guys like Davis, Anderson, and Johnson.

BroncosMT
01-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I really don't see us adding a lot of free agents this year. Most of our areas of greatest need - DL, DB, OL (depth), RB (rotation) - are deep in this draft. I can definitely see us looking for a quality TE - Lewis, Scaife, Boss - since it is a weak TE draft. If we let Harris go, we should add a potential starter at RT in FA. Build through the draft. We should be able to get at least a 3rd for Orton and may well be able to trade back with the #2 given the anticipated rookie wage scale. I see us with 5-6 picks in the first three rounds.

I would agree and based on Elways presser he stated that we aere going to build the team less in FA and more in the draft!

ColoradoDarin
01-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd rather go with Michael Bush from the raiders than Williams, but it'd wouldn't be a bad F/A signing. Walton looked to me to have improved a bit towards the 2nd half of the season, so I'd rather give him a full off season. Sign Zach Miller from oakland too and we'd be set on offense.

I assume we're moving back to the 4-3. I want to sign Charles Johnson - any scouting on how he is against the run? Doesn't he play the same position as Ayers? Ayers has been our best run stopper, but if CJ can get to the QB and stop the run, that'd be a nice problem to have. Anderson would be good to bring in as well and an immediate upgrade at the SAM. Don't know about the rest of the guys, but most anyone we bring in is going to be an upgrade, sadly.

Smiling Assassin27
01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
I'd rather go with Michael Bush from the raiders than Williams,

I concur. Bush would be the perfect complement to Moreno and is very good in short yardage situations when give the chance.

BroncosMT
01-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I concur. Bush would be the perfect complement to Moreno and is very good in short yardage situations when give the chance.

I agree as well but I think he is one of Al's boys and will re-up IMO

ICON
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Panther fan here, reading up on opinions and this thread caught my eye.

Entirely possible that he tries to pull some players with him.

I don't know what will happen here, because we do have some RB talent under contract. Personally, I'd be willing to let him go but not without much hesitation. You guys have not watched him enough to appreciate him. Great back, great teammate too. Embraced sharing carries, he knew it would extend his career.

On that note, he did have a lot of carries in school but his first couple of years as a pro, low mileage. No major injuries either, he's missed a little time but he could have come back this year, they IR'd a lot of guys for whatever reason. Needed the roster spot, season was lost, I'm not exactly sure why but they handled stuff differently this year.

And Fox will ride the heck out of a stud RB but prefers to have two good ones. I'd say you might see DW come over.

I'm not sure I'd pay him, or how much he wants. Don't know what the team will do, or what he wants to do. We had much poorer than expected OL play this year so I'm fighting the urge to devalue him. He's been good over his career.

I sure hope the Panthers can keep him, haven't heard anything about the situation though. I'd bet Fox would want to take him.

He's a decent player, and had a good year but took a long time to to get on the field and wouldn't have this year had Davis stayed healthy. I don't see us paying him a lot to stay, if you go to 4-3 you might end up with him. I don't think he's critical to our plans, I guess it depends on what he wants to be paid.

yeah, big question mark. I think he'll re-sign, but who knows. The guy was really playing great in '09 when the knee went out. All Pro level IMO. Beast.

I saw someone say put him back at S. Forget that.

And wants to get paid big time. I can't see it. Maybe Denver can. He does have some talent and knows Fox's D. If y'all run that.

Hey, good luck. Fox isn't a bad coach, you could do much worse. If he didn't rationalize those 14 losses as being all on the FO (which seems to be the way it's getting spun), maybe he learned something. Get Elway to keep him away from your offense, you might have something good.

CheersOn behalf of the OrangeMane , we welcome you to this great site.

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/images/siquijor/welcome-sign.jpg

Ambiguous
01-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Fox wont bring any of them in. Elway and Xanders will...

:Broncos:

Consensus is that they will have to reach a consensus.

Agamemnon
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. But I'm curious. Did they ever try to get him a real franchise QB? When you look at your team, it's obvious that the problem is that aside from running backs you have very little offensive talent, and all you've had over the years is Jake Delhomme. When I think about it, it's strange. Delhomme at his best has only ever been mediocre, yet your GM never made moves to upgrade the position. Until it became clear that he had become genuinely bad that is. Likewise it seems like you've ridden your one horse stable of receivers as far as it can take you, and he hasn't done much to fix that either. So while I'm sure Fox has a part in the blame, the fact that he wasn't being given the tools to succeed offensively seems pretty clear to me.

stratocat
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words. But I'm curious. Did they ever try to get him a real franchise QB? When you look at your team, it's obvious that the problem is that aside from running backs you have very little offensive talent, and all you've had over the years is Jake Delhomme. When I think about it, it's strange. Delhomme at his best has only ever been mediocre, yet your GM never made moves to upgrade the position. Until it became clear that he had become genuinely bad that is. Likewise it seems like you've ridden your one horse stable of receivers as far as it can take you, and he hasn't done much to fix that either. So while I'm sure Fox has a part in the blame, the fact that he wasn't being given the tools to succeed offensively seems pretty clear to me.

As far as I know, no we never tried to get a franchise QB. A lot of that is on Fox, he didn't really seem to value the QB position that highly, as far as I could tell he was the big Delhomme homer (rode him too long, especially after the '08 playoff meltdown, there were signs of that in the regular season that were also ignored). One of Fox's biggest shortcomings: he stuck with guys too long. But I digress, I believe they might have taken Ryan if they could have, from what I heard at the time.

Being as Elway has the influence he has out there, I don't think Fox's ideas on QB are going to win out, which is good for you guys.

Btw, don't believe all the stuff about Fox not having a say in personnel. That may have true in '10 but the rest of the seasons he was right in there. It's being spun that way for whatever reason but that's not the way we fans saw it. Now, I don't blame him 100% either, I'd have loved to see our GM get his walking papers right along with JF.

That's about all I got, again, best of luck.

Southern Discomfort
01-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Williams would be worth whatever the price tag would be.LOL

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM

8-8, 7-9, 8-8, 2-14...

You called a coach that led his team to a Super Bowl "that loser coach." Brilliant.

footstepsfrom#27
01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of new coaches bringing in guys from their former teams. Sometimes it works but often it's just a band aid that delays the rebuiding process and keeps the team from mining it's own talent in the draft. A guy here or there is fine but when I start seeing controversy over why player A who came from the old team is starting or kept over player B who wasn't the coaches choice, then it just leads to locker room tension and distrust among the fans. McD did it right off the bat with that stupid Lonnie Paxton move...and we all know how we felt about him wasting a 4th on Maroney.

zdoor
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Gotta agree, at least so far...

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of new coaches bringing in guys from their former teams. Sometimes it works but often it's just a band aid that delays the rebuiding process and keeps the team from mining it's own talent in the draft. A guy here or there is fine but when I start seeing controversy over why player A who came from the old team is starting or kept over player B who wasn't the coaches choice, then it just leads to locker room tension and distrust among the fans. McD did it right off the bat with that stupid Lonnie Paxton move...and we all know how we felt about him wasting a 4th on Maroney.

That McCaffery guy sucked. Even that Gaffney dude, what a horrible pick up. And would everyone friggin relax about Paxton. Did this really effect anything? And last i checked, he snapped it just fine. Jesus

That One Guy
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM

When done by the right team, it works wonders. Ryan continues to do it in NY and it's working quite well and when Parcells & Co. took over Miami, they did the same to Dallas. The thing is you have to have a truly talented team and take some of the real contributors. Not be taking the scrubs just because you think they're better than the new scrubs.

That One Guy
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
You called a coach that led his team to a Super Bowl "that loser coach." Brilliant.

He was also accused this year of losing on purpose just to spite the FO. The guy brought in Brian Freaking St Pierre on five days notice (coincidentally, the same number of passes he'd ever thrown in the NFL) and threw him out as the starter rather than go with his own backup. Yeah... I'd say he was hardly a HOF coach during his tenure in Carolina.

He may not be a bad coach but there's a reason he wasn't offered a new contract.

tesnyde
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Ok..you're a NC guy..I'm counting on you for some insight on Coach Fox. Love your profile pic.