PDA

View Full Version : Report: Chargers set to name Greg Manusky defensive coordinator

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/report-chargers-set-to-name-greg-manusky-defensive-coordinator/

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Greg Manusky is set to be named Chargers defensive coordinator, although he cautions the deal isnít done quite yet.

----------------------------------------------------

If San Diego lands him, losing Rivera won't be as bad as originally thought.

Can't believe we don't try to bring this guy in...

However, Broncos fans are pretty clueless so they probably don't give a damn until SD whoops that ass and then look, WE SHOULD HAVE GOT MANUSKY.

Killericon
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
The defensive coordinator for a defensive head coach who got fired(He worked under Nolan and Singletary). This would be like Vikings fans getting excited over bringing in Mike McCoy as their OC. Mark me down as unintimidated.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
The defensive coordinator for a defensive head coach who got fired(He worked under Nolan and Singletary). This would be like Vikings fans getting excited over bringing in Mike McCoy as their OC. Mark me down as unintimidated.

Why is everybody so down on McCoy?

He did a decent job with the three games he had with Tebow. He only has called plays for four games in his entire career.

I recall his playing days at Utah. He was a darn good collegiate QB. At least he know what it's like to line up behind center unlike McDaniels who couldn't even take snaps at a DIII school.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/report-chargers-set-to-name-greg-manusky-defensive-coordinator/

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Greg Manusky is set to be named Chargers defensive coordinator, although he cautions the deal isnít done quite yet.

However, Broncos fans are pretty clueless so they probably don't give a damn until SD whoops that ass and then look, WE SHOULD HAVE GOT MANUSKY.

I figured they would promote from within. That defense doesn't need a change in philosophy which is what any outside guy is going to bring. I'm pretty sure now that their defense takes a step back next season.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM

You're an idiot man. He did a great job in SF and is a great DC choice and is the best DC available... your logic actually makes absolutely no sense. Mike McCoy didn't call plays or do anything.

You must be one of those who thought Singletary was a DC...
:rofl:

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I figured they would promote from within. That defense doesn't need a change in philosophy which is what any outside guy is going to bring. I'm pretty sure now that their defense takes a step back next season.

Manusky offers physicality in his defenses. It will be a smooth transition for them.

With that being said:

They were the #1 or 2 ranked defense last year, so taking a "step back" is probably likely. What made Rivera so great was that he was able to maximize his talent.

Killericon
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM

He did a decent job with the three games he had with Tebow. He only has called plays for four games in his entire career.

I recall his playing days at Utah. He was a darn good collegiate QB. At least he know what it's like to line up behind center unlike McDaniels who couldn't even take snaps at a DIII school.

I'm fine with McCoy, but he's nothing to get excited about, and neither is Manusky.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 06:17 PM
We should have hired the DC on the same day as the head coach?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Manusky offers physicality in his defenses. It will be a smooth transition for them.

With that being said:

They were the #1 or 2 ranked defense last year, so taking a "step back" is probably likely. What made Rivera so great was that he was able to maximize his talent.

As far as I'm aware the 49ers run a very different 3-4 than the Chargers. Maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like an internal promotion would make more sense. Maybe they just don't think much of any of their positional guys...

baja
01-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Is the NFL coaching fraternity an average representation of the Peter Principle or an above average reflection of the syndrome.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm fine with McCoy, but he's nothing to get excited about, and neither is Manusky.

Right.

Niners allowed under 100 yards rushing per game this past season, and thats's despite losing in time of possession in 12 out of the 16 games they played this year. Think about that for a second.

Manusky was actually coveted to be a potential HC at the beginning of the season until Niners took a complete dump.

Killeridiot

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
We should have hired the DC on the same day as the head coach?

We should set up interviews.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Is the NFL coaching fraternity an average representation of the Peter Principle or an above average reflection of the syndrome.

It would seem to be the textbook example of it.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:24 PM
As far as I'm aware the 49ers run a very different 3-4 than the Chargers. Maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like an internal promotion would make more sense. Maybe they just don't think much of any of their positional guys...

lol... so where did the awareness come from that the Niners ran a "very" different 3-4 from the Chargers?

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
We should set up interviews.

If you put a coaching staff in place before hiring a head coach, any HC prospect worth a **** would run away screaming.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
If you put a coaching staff in place before hiring a head coach and any HC prospect worth a **** would run away screaming.

Interviews.. you know... the process of inquiring about a certain person? They could have easily done it TODAY.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
lol... so where did the awareness come from that the Niners ran a "very" different 3-4 from the Chargers?

I don't pretend to know much about the 49ers, but I thought they run a 2 gap scheme like we've been running. Pretty sure the Chargers are more of a 1 gap defense. But like I said, I don't know much about the 49ers.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Interviews.. you know... the process of inquiring about a certain person? They could have easily done it TODAY.

I tend to think you need a HC in position before inquiring about coordinator candidates. At least if you want to appear professional about it.

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
ultimately the HC decides who his staff is. There may be some carry overs but DC & OC will be picked by Fox.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM

He is about to be named DC at SD and you think he's going to interview with the Broncos? Are you that ****ing stupid?

Killericon
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
You're an idiot man. He did a great job in SF and is a great DC choice and is the best DC available... your logic actually makes absolutely no sense. Mike McCoy didn't call plays or do anything.

I never thought Singletary was a DC. Thanks for trying to make a strawman out of me.

Right.

Niners allowed under 100 yards rushing per game this past season, and thats's despite losing in time of possession in 12 out of the 16 games they played this year. Think about that for a second.

Manusky was actually coveted to be a potential HC at the beginning of the season until Niners took a complete dump.

Killeridiot

That's a pretty big little exception to make. They did take a big ****ing dump, didn't they?

Man, what the **** is your problem? So I disagree with you. What's the big ****ing problem?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I never thought Singletary was a DC. Thanks for trying to make a strawman out of me.

That's a pretty big little exception to make. They did take a big ****ing dump, didn't they?

Man, what the **** is your problem? So I disagree with you. What's the big ****ing problem?

To certain, rather immature, posters, disagreeing with them means you're an idiot. It's an interesting perspective on life.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Because there is facts, data, and information that says that your opinion is not logical and makes absolutely no sense.

It's good people... just like Mark Murlarkey really wanted to interview here.

Killericon
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Because there is facts, data, and information that says that your opinion is not logical and makes absolutely no sense.

It's good people... just like Mark Murlarkey really wanted to interview here.

Facts, data AND information? Oh man, if there were only facts and data then I'd probably stand by what I said, but those two WITH information?!?

boltaneer
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Manusky was the LB coach here until 2006 and he runs the same kind of 3-4 that Wade ran here since he learned under him so it shouldn't really change much at all and I could see him keeping some of the 4-3 hyrbird stuff that Rivera used.

I hated to see Rivera go but I'd definitely be happy with Manusky as his replacement.

He's obviously very familiar with the coaching staff and players here and it's a better defense to work with so the Chargers would be much more attractive choice.

The Broncos really didn't have a chance.

Broncoman13
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Man you give Bronco fans a bad name. I can't believe you're calling someone an idiot.

Broncoman13
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Don't worry about it dude, nobody listens to "da playa" anyway!

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm an idiot. I rarely, if ever get touched upon on the topic of football. Most responses, if ever, only sound like Broncman13. No one can really respond with anything that has to do with football.

Most sound like Broncoman13

"Man you give Bronco fans a bad name."

Why? Because actually know what I'm talking about? I'm not like the regular Denver fan who just assumes and gets his facts all wrong?

"Don't worry about it dude, nobody listens to "da playa" anyway!"

"da playa"... you attempt to insult me by saying I type or speak in that manner. In fact, I have better grammar and my posts are more articulate than 99% of the forum, including you.

So how does it feel to be dumber than.. "da playa"

Killericon
01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm an idiot. I rarely, if ever get touched upon on the topic of football. Most responses, if ever, only sound like Broncman13. No one can really respond with anything that has to do with football.

Why? Because actually know what I'm talking about? I'm not like the regular Denver fan who just assumes and gets his facts all wrong?

"da playa"... you attempt to insult me by saying I type or speak in that manner. In fact, I have better grammar and my posts are more articulate than 99% of the forum, including you.

Solid grammar there.

It's really great when fans who are so much better and informed than us plebs come down from the mountainside to tell us all about football. I mean, all this assuming gets pretty tiring.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
San Francisco was average in yards given up. They must have created a lot of turnovers, right?

baja
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM

With your continuing verbal diarrhea and self promotion the posters you so want to impress are, I suspect, wishing you would mature because you're not a bad guy.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-13-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm an idiot..

broncocalijohn
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Sure enough, clicked on this just to see how MVPlaya is so smart and all the other millions so dumb. Never disappoints. It has come down to MVP and go_broncos as most predictable poster at the Mane. MVPlosa, Chargers are down the street from you, go root on them as your new DC Manusky is hired or do you wait it out until your fan McDaniels finds a gig?

gunns
01-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Maybe it's the fact he's only called 4 games in his life. And being a diehard Utes fan, he was nothing to write home to mom about as far as being a QB at the U. Besides, being a good or bad QB has nothing to do with being a good OC.

broncswin
01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
With your continuing verbal diarrhea and self promotion the posters you so want to impress are, I suspect, wishing you would mature because you're not a bad guy.

ya, what happened to him?

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
San Francisco was average in yards given up. They must have created a lot of turnovers, right?

SF lost in TOP in 12 out of 16 games this year, and in some of those games they were just murdered. With that being said, their defense allowed less than 100 rushing yards per game.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Sure enough, clicked on this just to see how MVPlaya is so smart and all the other millions so dumb. Never disappoints. It has come down to MVP and go_broncos as most predictable poster at the Mane. MVPlosa, Chargers are down the street from you, go root on them as your new DC Manusky is hired or do you wait it out until your fan McDaniels finds a gig?

I'm just saying we should have at least attempted to give the guy a look and he's a solid DC, but there are so many dumb clueless fans on here that think Singletary is a DC.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 09:50 PM
SF lost in TOP in 12 out of 16 games this year, and in some of those games they were just murdered. With that being said, their defense allowed less than 100 rushing yards per game.

So... you don't want to answer the question?

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 09:55 PM
So... you don't want to answer the question?

Well it's a poor and inaccurate question if you look at the whole post. They were not "average", they were ranked 13 which is very respectable considering all the aspects that go into the game... and considering the Niners had a horrible offense and lost in TOP in 75% of their games.

With that being said, they had 20 take aways, which was 1 less than the Chargers had this year... in which they were the #1 ranked defense in the league. But yes 20 is not very high if you want to just talk about takeaways, however that's obviously only 1 aspect (and not the most important).

theAPAOps5
01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Man you give Bronco fans a bad name. I can't believe you're calling someone an idiot.

Holy **** that little girl has gone off the deep end. :rofl:

Killericon
01-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Well it's a poor and inaccurate question if you look at the whole post. They were not "average", they were ranked 13 which is very respectable considering all the aspects that go into the game... and considering the Niners had a horrible offense and lost in TOP in 75% of their games.

With that being said, they had 20 take aways, which was 1 less than the Chargers had this year... in which they were the #1 ranked defense in the league. But yes 20 is not very high if you want to just talk about takeaways, however that's obviously only 1 aspect (and not the most important).

There's 32 teams in the NFL. That would put the definition of 'average' at #16. 13 is pretty much right near average.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 10:26 PM
There's 32 teams in the NFL. That would put the definition of 'average' at #16. 13 is pretty much right near average.

They were in seven-way tie for 6th in YPP. So I think it's safe to say they are better than average. They aren't elite, but they are good.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM

13 is above average is you want to get technical. It's respectable. Being average in the NFL is respetable also.. but anytime you're within the top half of the league you're doing a fine job.

Lev Vyvanse
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM

I'm going to go ahead and let this post fail on its own merits. I don't think it requires a response.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 10:28 PM
They were in seven-way tie for 6th in YPP. So I think it's safe to say they are better than average. They aren't elite, but they are good.

Didn't know that... nice stat. Revealing.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm going to go ahead and let this post fail on its own merits. I don't think it requires a response.

You're going to go ahead and _______ because there is really no intelligent response since you screwed up with the original question.

Not surprising though, another response to me with no football context because you're mad.