PDA

View Full Version : Welcome John Fox...please leave your .500 record and last place finish in Carolina

Pontius Pirate
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Just curious: does anyone have any examples of NFL HC's who were fired (edit: contract not picked up) by one team after a dismal season and getting an HC gig that next year and finding success in the new team?

IMHO, dude had a .500 record at Carolina over nine years. I have a hard time seeing what people are excited about. Seems like an old dog who will not learn new tricks. How often does a HC finish with the worst record in the NFL, get fired, and get a HC elsewhere and wind up finding success in the new team? Seems like this one is destined for failure folks.

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Man there's a lot of cool stories around here lately, brah.

Not that anyone cares about facts, but he wasn't fired, his contract expired. But seriously, cool story.

SoDak Bronco
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
He wasn't fired....get your facts straight

WolfpackGuy
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
He'll be fine.

He didn't bring Marty Hurney with him.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
And he was 14 games above .500 going into this season.

strafen
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, he finshed the season 2-14 and still managed to be at above .500 for his coaching creers. Just above .500 or at .500. Bottom line is, 2-14 really hurt his overall record.
I think his success has been acceptable, considering he coached an expansion team that he took to 1 SB and a couple play-offs.
Good credentials. He'll be in a much, much better situation here in Denver.

The only thing hurting us right now is we only have ***6 picks in this upcoming draft. Thanks McDaniels!!!

Edited***

frerottenextelway
01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
The only thing hurting us right now is we only have 3 picks in this upcoming draft. Thanks McDaniels!!!

That doesn't sound right. We have more.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Damn..these Broncos fans still prove my theory correct.

Dumb as a dead rat.

Can't ever get facts straight... I mean it's something you learned in school when you were 10... did you think it doesn't matter any more?

You ****ing idiots.

Homer Simpson
78 & 74 = .500?

The MVPlaya
The only thing hurting us right now is we only have 3 picks in this upcoming draft. Thanks McDaniels!!!

Please read my previous post.

schaaf
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Not sure if serious...

HAT
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I'll reserve judgment until I see how he fills out the rest of the staff but I think it's pretty likely that history will still be calling him a .500 coach after his 12-13th year as an NFL HC.

Better than Dennison though, I suppose.

Homer Simpson
01-13-2011, 06:33 PM

1st
2nd
2nd
3rd
6th
7th

= 3 picks?

OBF1
01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
another village idiot sighting.

strafen
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
That doesn't sound right. We have more.

Oops!
I hit the wrong key. We have 6 picks, NOT 3. My bad...

mkporter
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Just curious: does anyone have any examples of NFL HC's who were fired by one team after a dismal season and getting an HC gig that next year and finding success in the new team?

IMHO, dude had a .500 record at Carolina over nine years. I have a hard time seeing what people are excited about. Seems like an old dog who will not learn new tricks. How often does a HC finish with the worst record in the NFL, get fired, and get a HC elsewhere and wind up finding success in the new team? Seems like this one is destined for failure folks.

Well, I think most people would discount his final season due to his owner's penny pinching, and a terrible rookie QB, which gives him a pretty decent lifetime record. Belichick was 5-11 before he was canned, he turned out okay. Tom Coughlin was 7-9, 6-10, 6-10 with Jax before he went to the Giants. Reeves went 5-11, 6-10 with the Giants before taking the Falcons to the SB.

So maybe not your exact scenario, but some pretty close parallels.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Look at the good stuff though:

1 Super Bowl appearance, 2 NFC Title Game appearances and a 12-4 record just two years ago!

HAT
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
1st
2nd
2nd
3rd
6th
7th

= 3 picks?

Give him a break. He was 'half' right and that is a huge leap forward for dragster.

Homer Simpson
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Oops!
I hit the wrong key. We have 6 picks, NOT 3. My bad...

We only have 6 picks in a 7 round draft? Oh noes!

Popps
If any coach stays in one place long enough... he's bound to have some rough seasons.

I don't buy into the notion that you use a coaches down years to negate his achievements.

Sometimes coaches and teams need a change of scenery. I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept for some people. Seems like simple, life-stuff.

schaaf
Jon Gruden won a superbowl in his first year with the new team

uplink
Hmm. haven't seen a fire John Fox thread yet. He must have done a good job on his first 1/2 day of work.

Dedhed
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

After inheriting a team that went 1-15 the year before he got there.

strafen
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

1 Super Bowl appearance, 2 NFC Title Game appearances and a 12-4 record just two years ago!
His Carolina teams posted three 11-win seasons, won two NFC South titles and went 5-3 in the playoffs, appearing in two conference championships and losing to New England in the '04 Super Bowl.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Super Bowl appearance? Didn't happen.

Winning records? Didn't happen.

Good running game? Didn't happen.

Solid Defense? Didn't happen.

2-14 ZOMG HE ZO TRRUBIL! FYR HM NOW PATS BROLAND!

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
If any coach stays in one place long enough... he's bound to have some rough seasons.

I don't buy into the notion that you use a coaches down years to negate his achievements.

Sometimes coaches and teams need a change of scenery. I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept for some people. Seems like simple, life-stuff.

Nope. A coach is only any good if he can maintain a winning record every season like Bill Belichick. Did no one tell you that? Win all the time or you suck. /sarcasm

mkporter
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
We only have 6 picks in a 7 round draft? Oh noes!

The most important thing is the total count of picks too, since they are all of equal value, and you can't do things like trading, let's say, one of your extra valuable picks for several lower round picks that you are "missing."

HAT
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I think most here have no problem giving him a pass for 2010.

My issue, more so than his overall record, is that in 9 years he never posted back to back winning seasons.

There's always reasons I suppose....Injuries, turnover, schedule, etc. But to not even do it once...in nine years?

HAT
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Nope. A coach is only any good if he can maintain a winning record every season like Bill Belichick. Did no one tell you that? Win all the time or you suck. /sarcasm

I'd settle for 2 years in a row.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
There's always reasons I suppose....Injuries, turnover, schedule, etc. But to not even do it once...in nine years?

What the ****? How are those reasons? THat's everything EVERYONE deals with in the NFL... doesn't stop the great coaches from winning.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 06:44 PM
What the ****? How are those reasons? THat's everything EVERYONE deals with in the NFL... doesn't stop the great coaches from winning.

And it doesn't get the morons of the internet to shut the **** up, either.

Seriously, you're making yourself look like an ass. It's not even fun to make fun of you anymore, because I feel like I'm beating up the retard.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I think most here have no problem giving him a pass for 2010.

My issue, more so than his overall record, is that in 9 years he never posted back to back winning seasons.

Jake Delhomme was their QB. Is it really such a mystery that the teams that consistently win year after year have franchise QBs, and the teams that are up and down don't?

broncosteven
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Fox is a proven commodity, his teams are tough and physical, he can and did chuck it deep to Smith when he was healthy.

Now we just need to draft some tough and physical guys that can work in his system.

Dennision would have been a project and this franchise needed a proven HC who has a lot of NFL experience.

I like the hire. I just wish we had a better GM.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Fox is a proven commodity, his teams are tough and physical, he can and did chuck it deep to Smith when he was healthy.

Now we just need to draft some tough and physical guys that can work in his system.

Dennision would have been a project and this franchise needed a proven HC who has a lot of NFL experience.

You realize the GM was a part of the process, yes?

Shouldn't you at least try to give him the benefit of the doubt? He has already made an important decision, one which you agree with... no grace period?

strafen
01-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Agree on all accounts.
The GM situation stinks!

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Shouldn't you at least try to give him the benefit of the doubt? He has already made an important decision, one which you agree with... no grace period?

Part of the process my ass, GTFOH.

Elway was running the damn show.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Part of the process my ass, GTFOH.

Elway was running the damn show.

And you were in the room, right? So you know this?

Christ, even when you're trying to be smart, you're still a ****ing retard.

HAT
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

I don't like the hire one bit (other than the fact that it's not Dennison)....Just giving him the benefit of the doubt. I hope it's as simple as a change of scenery for the guy.

I'm prepared for something like 8-8, 7-9, 10-6, 7-9...Rinse & repeat with a new HC search. Maybe that 10-6 year can be a deep PO run.

I reserve the right to change this assessment once the staff is named.

broncosteven
01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

You already drawing a line in the sand to fight over?

I haven't been on the site much in the last 2 weeks but if Xanders is still the GM then his body of work has not impressed me much so far.

I know you gave mCd the benefit of many doubts and he failed but Xanders has not done much in his 2 years here so I would say the grace period is over.

Right now talent evaluation is not this franchises strong point.

I am behind Fox, this is the kind of pick up we should have made 2 years ago, a guy who has won in the league with long time NFL experience who knows football and sees the value for in game adjustments.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM

I haven't been on the site much in the last 2 weeks but if Xanders is still the GM then his body of work has not impressed me much so far.

I know you gave mCd the benefit of many doubts and he failed but Xanders has not done much in his 2 years here so I would say the grace period is over.

I am behind Fox, this is the kind of pick up we should have made 2 years ago, a guy who has won in the league with long time NFL experience who knows football and sees the value for in game adjustments.

Xanders hasn't been a true GM until very recently.

HAT
Jake Delhomme was their QB. Is it really such a mystery that the teams that consistently win year after year have franchise QBs, and the teams that are up and down don't?

It's not a mystery, nor is it true. And I'm not even talking about "consistently, year after year" I'm talking about the coach NEVER having put together back to back winning seasons in the NFL....With a PRO BOWL quarterback no less.

TheElusiveKyleOrton

A line in the sand? Not remotely. I think it was a fair question. You agree with the first move that he's made in this current structure of the organization, yet he's doing a ****ty job in your eyes. That's... somewhat contradictory, I guess.

You're right on the rest, I guess I'm just giving Xanders the benefit of the doubt. After all, the talk around here has been that it was McDaniels doing all those things over the last two years, not Xanders, so if that's to be believed, this really would be Brian Xanders' first go.

So far, I like what I see.

Not drawing a line in the sand to fight over. Not at all.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 07:00 PM
It's not a mystery, nor is it true. And I'm not even talking about "consistently, year after year" I'm talking about the coach NEVER having put together back to back winning seasons in the NFL....With a PRO BOWL quarterback no less.

Okay, but how many times do we have to establish that the "pro bowl quarterback" bar is pretty ****ing low?

Derek Anderson made the pro bowl.

Jake Delhomme was washed up 2-3 years ago, and that's being very kind to Jake Delhomme.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM

It's not true? Okay, please name a franchise that has won year in and year out without a franchise QB in the last ten years. Better yet, name another franchise that went to two championship games and a Super Bowl without one over the last ten years.

And the "Pro Bowl Quarterback" argument is about as weak as they come. Vince Young is a Pro Bowl QB. So was Brian Griese. Jake Delhomme was the very definition of mediocre throughout Fox's time at Carolina. He was never anything but a game manager.

frerottenextelway
01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
In honor of tonight, I'm officially dedicating this night to booze and hookers, minus the hookers.

strafen
01-13-2011, 07:07 PM
It's not true? Okay, please name a franchise that has won year in and year out without a franchise QB in the last ten years. Better yet, name another franchise that went to two championship games and a Super Bowl without one over the last ten years.

And the "Pro Bowl Quarterback" argument is about as weak as they come. Vince Young is a Pro Bowl QB. So was Brian Griese. Jake Delhomme was the very definition of mediocre throughout Fox's time at Carolina. He was never anything but a game manager.

By the same token, Fox never had back to back losing seasons either.

CEH
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
He was a lame duck this year. The team let Peppers go and played the crappy Claussen and the owner made a decision to prepare the team's budget for the looming lockout

I am not so shortsighted to look at just this year.

Pontius Pirate
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
By the same token, Fox never had back to back losing seasons either.

You're right because 8-8 and 7-9 do not mathmatically equate to two consecutive losing seasons.

This forum is very smart!

wolf754life
01-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Just curious: does anyone have any examples of NFL HC's who were fired (edit: contract not picked up) by one team after a dismal season and getting an HC gig that next year and finding success in the new team?

John Fox will slap your smirk right off your face..............

Arkie
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
7-9 is barely a losing season, and it was his worst season until 2-14 last year.

Pontius Pirate
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
7-9 is barely a losing season, and it was his worst season until 2-14 last year.

And he pulled off 7-9 3 different times in 9 years! Dude's a stud!

Broncosfreak_56
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Looks like we know who the new Go_Broncos/Strafen/etc. is.

enjolras
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Even Bill Belichick didn't do that. He was 8 games under .500 during his tenure in Cleveland.

Lets see how he does once Tom Brady retires.

UberBroncoMan
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Shanahan was .500 his last three years here to be fair.

Fox was .555 before last season, which isn't that bad. Could be a lot worse.

We'll see what happens. If he sucks he'll get canned and we'll start all over again.

Arkie
01-14-2011, 04:41 PM

...and 3 different times in 9 years, he pulled off 11+ wins, he had 3 playoffs, 2 NFCC games, and a super bowl appearance.

OABB
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
...and 3 different times in 9 years, he pulled off 11+ wins, he had 3 playoffs, 2 NFCC games, and a super bowl appearance.

what a loser.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Step 1: The guy is here for one thing fix the D from awful to very good which he has resume to do just that but, it will take time. As well as finding out if Tebow can develop into anything.

Step 2: wins and losses

Fans already jumping past step 1 worring about 2-14 7-9 records that is the least of our worries right now.

gunns
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
And it doesn't get the morons of the internet to shut the **** up, either.

Seriously, you're making yourself look like an ass. It's not even fun to make fun of you anymore, because I feel like I'm beating up the retard.

He's become the Brett Favre of the Mane, an attention ho. Its better to ignore him, beat him at his own game.

Steve Sewell
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Funny...my 68 year old mother who barely watches the Broncos, much less pays attention to football, pretty much made the same comment.

Its mostly the uniformed or very casual football fans (a large portion of the Broncos fan base) who think this is a bad hire for the Broncos.

Steve Sewell
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
2-14 ZOMG HE ZO TRRUBIL! FYR HM NOW PATS BROLAND!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cito Pelon
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I can see the skepticism about Fox.

OABB
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Is pontius Latin for anal?

Vegas_Bronco
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Is pontius Latin for anal?

Broncanus...I believe that is the word u are looking for.

Vegas_Bronco
01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Id kiss Fox if we go .500 this season...that would be one hell of an improvement. You guys need to relax and take it in for a while before telling yourself that the pick doesn't fancy your taste.

Clockwork Orange
01-14-2011, 11:15 PM

Just for fun, Jeff Fisher, widely regarded as a top notch NFL head coach, has a career .542 winning percentage, a 5-6 playoff record and has coached Houston/Tennessee to one Super Bowl appearance in 17 years.

OABB
01-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Just for fun, Jeff Fisher, widely regarded as a top notch NFL head coach, has a career .542 winning percentage, a 5-6 playoff record and has coached Houston/Tennessee to one Super Bowl appearance in 17 years.

What's shanahans over the same time?

Steve Sewell
01-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Yeah but Fisher and Shanahan are pals!

Vegas_Bronco
01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah but Fisher and Shanahan are pals!

And im sure shanahans record will look a lot like fishers before he's finished.

Boomhauer
01-15-2011, 12:33 AM

Further proof that 'uniform expert opinions' are worth as much as used toiletpaper.

Boomhauer
01-15-2011, 12:38 AM
I can see the skepticism about Fox.

Something the Denver media and Broncos' forums are willfully oblivious to. But, as always, the proof in the pudding is how it tastes = There's no way to know how the Broncos under Fox will do until they play pre-season games.

enjolras
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
What's shanahans over the same time?

Shannahan has a career .585 winning percentage.

Over the last 10 years he is 91-69, for a .648 winning percentage. Although his postseason record over that same period is 1-4 (in 4 trips).

Requiem
01-15-2011, 01:15 AM
John Fox is the NFL's version of Ken Shamrock. You see him hustle down to way to the ring and anticipate the big fight, but sometimes **** just goes wrong.

Bill Clinton in the politics world. YEAH.

In other words John Fox is ****ing money.

We will be in a Super Bowl by 2013.

TomServo
01-15-2011, 03:52 AM
well holy hell, we shoulda kept mcD. a coach that built an expansion team after capers F - itup. got to the nfc title game witha crap qb. fox took a basketcase and took them to the SB with Jake delhome? yah like the Broncos were gonna get a Marquis coach with the talent Mcd left?

HAT
01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm confused....Do all the people arguing with Pontius want Fox to bring his .500 record and last place finish to Denver?