PDA

View Full Version : Fox bringing in Jim Mora for DC?

BMarsh615
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Two strong possibilities to join John Fox's staff - Jim Mora as defensive coordinator and Danny Smith (Redskins) as special teams coach...

Mora has head coaching experience and Fox has recently been in contact with him. Fox wanted to hire Smith last year and Skins blocked it...

But Smith did not sign an extension with the Skins and would be a free agent. Would be the makings of a strong staff

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

OBF1
Old news

Smiling Assassin27
I'm underwhelmed, particularly with Mora.

tsiguy96
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
per an old ESPN and about seahawks :
Mike Sando: The Seahawks are looking at coordinator candidates with 3-4 backgrounds, but Jim Mora will run the defense. His background is with the 4-3.

This sets up the possibility of at least running hybrid-type schemes or having the flexibility to use some 3-4 fronts and packages. I see no advantage in making a full conversion to a 3-4, based on the personnel and based on Mora's background.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
If we hire Mora then we're almost certainly switching to a 4-3.

BigPlayShay
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
We could look a lot like the falcons from a few years back. Running O with a Running QB. Pressure defense. Xanders was on ATL staff when Mora was HC, correct?

2KBack
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM

no joke...in his four seasons as a DC his teams averaged 19th in defense

RunSilentRunDeep
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Mora? It just gets worse.

BroncoInferno
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Why? Mora may have been a mediocre head coach, but he is a proven commodity as a DC.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm not a big Jim Mora fan. The Seahawks dumped him after one year and this is after Holmgren groomed him for the job. The Hawks dumb Mora for Carroll? To me, that says a lot about how bad Mora is... plus, the guy never has anything positive to say about the Broncos.

LetsGoBroncos
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I think defense is one of those things that shouldn't be judged only by ranking. I would rather have a defense ranked around 15 that gets sacks and forces turnovers but also gives up some yards then one that bends but doesn't break but also doesn't get turnovers or sacks.

BroncoInferno
01-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not a big Jim Mora fan. The Seahawks dumped him after one year and this is after Holmgren groomed him for the job. The Hawks dumb Mora for Carroll? To me, that says a lot about how bad Mora is... plus, the guy never has anything positive to say about the Broncos.

You are talking about Mora as a head coach. He's not going to be the head coach...he's going to be the DC. And he is a proven commodity in that role.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Why? Mora may have been a mediocre head coach, but he is a proven commodity as a DC.

proven to be mediocre at best

bronco militia
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM

that's when he was a head coach.....

Zoobie
01-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Not too excited about Mora.

Hamrob
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't like that Mora....doesn't think Tebow is QB material. That type of attitude rubs off on people. No thanks!

GoHAM
01-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Meh, at least Mora >> Wink or Slowick.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't like that Mora....doesn't think Tebow is QB material. That type of attitude rubs off on people. No thanks!

That attitude disappears real quick once someone actually meets and works with Tebow. I doubt Mora's doubts last more than a few days.

ColoradoDarin
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
That attitude disappears real quick once someone actually meets and works with Tebow. I doubt Mora's doubts last more than a few days.

This. You can't help it. Mora will be next!

R8R H8R
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Some of you guys really amaze me the way you over analyze things and get your panties in a bunch over crap that hasn't even happened yet.

First off--it really doesn't matter who his DC is...whether he keeps Wink, hires Mora, etc.
Why? Because it will be his defense that is why. Not much different than when Shanny hired an inexperienced Kubes to be his OC in 1996. Fox will have his guy run the D the way he want him to.

Now, the really important hire, and the one really we should be concerned about, is OC. What he does there could possibly define his coaching legacy in Denver.

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Some of you guys really amaze me the way you over analyze things and get your panties in a bunch over crap that hasn't even happened yet.

First off--it really doesn't matter who his DC is...whether he keeps Wink, hires Mora, etc. Why? Because it will be his defense that is why. Not much different than when Shanny hired an unexperienced Kubes to be his OC in 1996. Fox will have his guy run the D the way he want him to.

Now, the really important hire, and the one really we should be concerned about, is OC. What he does there could possibly define his coaching legacy in Denver.

Just wait until his press conference tomorrow. He better not sniffle!

R8R H8R
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Just wait until his press conference tomorrow. He better not sniffle!

Or smack his lips! ;D

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Don't look down!

Gutless Drunk
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM

First off--it really doesn't matter who his DC is...whether he keeps Wink, hires Mora, etc.
Why? Because it will be his defense that is why. Not much different than when Shanny hired an inexperienced Kubes to be his OC in 1996. Fox will have his guy run the D the way he want him to.

"The Broncos are expected to retain offensive coordinator Mike McCoy under Fox. McCoy previously worked with Fox for seven seasons in Carolina."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17087361

edog24
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
"The Broncos are expected to retain offensive coordinator Mike McCoy under Fox. McCoy previously worked with Fox for seven seasons in Carolina."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17087361

Please no

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
So excited for new ST coach tbqh.

strafen
What about the DC Fox had with him at Carolina?
I can't remember his name, but that guy is probably the best candidate IMO...

Hulamau
I can see them retaining McCoy for continuity .. both with the current offense with Tebow and with Fox.... He knows Tebow now at least and vice versa and we really haven't gotten to see him calling plays for the most part. Just the last three games when it was all dialed down for Timmy's debut.

Willing to give him a shot. he didnt do badly at Carolina when they had some players on offense.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I can see them retaining McCoy for continuity .. both with teh current offense and with Fox.... He knows Tebow now and vice versa and we really havent gotten to see him calling plays for teh most part. Jsut the last three games when it was all dialed down for Timmy';s debut.

Willing to give him a shot. he didnt do badly at Carolina when they had some players on offense.

he was the QB coach in Carolina

Taco John
01-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Playcalling on game day is more than half the battle, not merely "scheme." Some coaches have a knack for it, others don't.

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Link?

DarkHorse
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Link?

He has referenced it enough on Coach's Corner, Total Access, etc.... Not sure how to link a TV show yet.

Rohirrim
01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Will Mora be conducting the after game pressers?

Requiem
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
According to the Post's most recent article, we are going to be retaining McCoy.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
This dude is dog-****.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWM5IKWfok0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LWM5IKWfok0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I want a ****ing Baltimore/Pitt type D, not a pile of **** Mora one.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Jim, your defense just gave up 400 yards and 5 TDs, but what do you think of Tebow's performance today?

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
He has referenced it enough on Coach's Corner, Total Access, etc.... Not sure how to link a TV show yet.

Well I guess Tebow will need to lay hands on him and cleanse his soul

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
According to the Post's most recent article, we are going to be retaining McCoy.

Makes sense.

Fox - McCoy - Mora

Sounds like a Super Bowl contender AMIRIGHT?

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I have been thinking that retaining McCoy or Ben McDaniels would be good for offensive continuity. If our offensive players don't have to learn a new system, that would be an advantage. Plus those guys know everything about Tebow and where he is at in his development and what to build on. Defensively we need massive overhaul, and then sustain it for years without switching systems. So new DC and a defensive minded coach is great. A lot of what we did on offense should be carried over. Tweaked, especially in the running game, and add in more Tebow friendly packages like bootlegs, etc. But keeping a lot of offensive things the same is smart, IMO.

crowebomber
01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
What about Dave Wannstedt for DC? He sucked as a HC, but his glory days were as a DC in Dallas.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I have been thinking that retaining McCoy or Ben McDaniels would be good for offensive continuity. If our offensive players don't have to learn a new system, that would be an advantage. Plus those guys know everything about Tebow and where he is at in his development and what to build on. Defensively we need massive overhaul, and then sustain it for years without switching systems. So new DC and a defensive minded coach is great. A lot of what we did on offense should be carried over. Tweaked, especially in the running game, and add in more Tebow friendly packages like bootlegs, etc. But keeping a lot of offensive things the same is smart, IMO.

Agreed. Our offense averaged 25 ppg in Tebow's three starts. When you consider how much he's likely to improve, it doesn't seem like something that needs to be fixed to me.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Agreed. Our offense averaged 25 ppg in Tebow's three starts. When you consider how much he's likely to improve, it doesn't seem like something that needs to be fixed to me.

Exactly. And with the continued emphasis of improving his footwork and anticipation we don't need to add an entirely new playbook and terminology on top of that.

strafen
01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Give me a good reason why we need to keep Ben "freakin'" McDaniels in our team?
Really?!

Bigdawg26
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Well as long as they fix that BS blocking schemes on running plays I'm alright.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Give me a good reason why we need to keep Ben "freakin'" McDaniels in our team?
Really?!

If we keep McCoy then it wouldn't be necessary, but I wouldn't oppose it either. One good reason? How about the giant leap Kyle Orton made. Ben played a role in that. Add Tebow being closer to "NFL ready" than most people thought he would be. Throw in offensive continuity, people who already have a relationship with the players on offense and know the terminology and system. Just because he is related to Josh doesn't mean we have to hate the guy. He seemingly did a good job, which is all I care about going forward. Who are the best guys to get us back to where we need to be, and can do it the quickest? Maybe McCoy and maybe even Ben McDaniels are part of that.

edog24
01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Makes sense.

Fox - McCoy - Mora

Sounds like a Super Bowl contender AMIRIGHT?

Wowwowwow, I am throwing up.

strafen
01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
If we keep McCoy then it wouldn't be necessary, but I wouldn't oppose it either. One good reason? How about the giant leap Kyle Orton made. Ben played a role in that. Add Tebow being closer to "NFL ready" than most people thought he would be. Throw in offensive continuity, people who already have a relationship with the players on offense and know the terminology and system. Just because he is related to Josh doesn't mean we have to hate the guy. He seemingly did a good job, which is all I care about going forward. Who are the best guys to get us back to where we need to be, and can do it the quickest? Maybe McCoy and maybe even Ben McDaniels are part of that.So, you're giving Ben credit for Orton's and Tebow's improvements.
A guy fresh out of HS hits it big in the NFL.
The guy had nothing to do with it. It was all Josh getting on Orton's ass to get his crap together.
After Mcdaniels got fired, Orton showed his true color.
It was McDaniels who was responsible for that, and Mccoy.
To give Ben credit for what you've said is laughable!

Wes Mantooth
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Moras a to notch dc

Inkana7
01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
So, you're giving Ben credit for Orton's and Tebow's improvements.
The guy had nothing to do with it. It was all Josh getting on Orton's ass to get his crap together.

Thanks for sharing your inside access, bro.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM

I'm saying he played a role in their development and he knows the system. We could do a lot worse. If he has a good working relationship with McCoy and the QBs, why not at least consider retaining him unless we can find a better option? I would support Jim Fassel for QB coach if he would take the job. If a "QB guru" that the FO thinks can maximize Tebow's potential cannot be found, then keep Ben.

zdoor
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
NFL radio said Rob Ryan is also being considered...

lostknight
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM

To be fair, Orton's collapse occured before Josh was fired, and arguably was one of the last straws on that particular camels back.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Moras a to notch dc

I would be very interested to see some proof of that, because he hasn't coordinated any top notch defenses.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
To be fair, Orton's collapse occured before Josh was fired, and arguably was one of the last straws on that particular camels back.

And to be even more fair, like probably the fairest, Orton was obviously hurt.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
And to be even more fair, like probably the fairest, Orton was obviously hurt.

True. It is a quality I simultaneously love and hate about Orton. He played poorly on numerous occasions in his first season, wouldn't throw the ball down the field, then when the season was over we heard about how bad his ankles were. Tough dude, played through it. Those last 2 starts he had banged up ribs. Tough dude, played through it. However, those injuries greatly restricted his performance and he actually hurt the team by playing through them. Love the toughness, hate the stubbornness.

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Seriously why do people think Ben McDaniels would stay even if they wanted to keep him? The team has publicly dragged Josh through the mud more than enough times, and Josh is going to have another job very soon that I'm sure he'll want to bring Ben on board for.

frerottenextelway
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Seriously why do people think Ben McDaniels would stay even if they wanted to keep him? The team has publicly dragged Josh through the mud more than enough times, and Josh is going to have another job very soon that I'm sure he'll want to bring Ben on board for.

Plus, Rutherford B Hayes High School outside Cleveland is looking for an offensive coordinator.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
True. It is a quality I simultaneously love and hate about Orton. He played poorly on numerous occasions in his first season, wouldn't throw the ball down the field, then when the season was over we heard about how bad his ankles were. Tough dude, played through it. Those last 2 starts he had banged up ribs. Tough dude, played through it. However, those injuries greatly restricted his performance and he actually hurt the team by playing through them. Love the toughness, hate the stubbornness.

I feel the same way. Love that he was willing to play through injuries, hated the fact that it affected his performance so dramatically.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM

This is a dream job for the guy. If the Broncos offer him a job, he'd be short sighted to say no. There's no guarantee he'll get another opportunity like the one he currently has and the only reason he got this job is because of his brother.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM

To be honest, I've never seen a player quite like Orton when it comes to injuries. There seems to be a 100% correlation between him playing like garbage and him having some random injury. Not sure what to think about that. The word 'excuse' comes to mind.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
This is a dream job for the guy. If the Broncos offer him a job, he'd be short sighted to say no. There's no guarantee he'll get another opportunity like the one he currently has and the only reason he got this job is because of his brother.

The guy actually seems like he's done a decent job to me.

Lestat
01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
if we're running a 4-3 then i say. hello Mr. Bowers. could be a Julius Peppers type in a 4-3 scheme under Fox and Mora.

Broncoman13
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I would take Rob Ryan no problem... don't care much for Mora. Dude seems like a tool!

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
if we're running a 4-3 then i say. hello Mr. Bowers. could be a Julius Peppers type in a 4-3 scheme under Fox and Mora.

Fairley is a better pick and fills a bigger hole in our roster.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I would take Rob Ryan no problem... don't care much for Mora. Dude seems like a tool!

Why aren't we talking to the former DC from Carolina? I don't get that...

WABronco
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM

He is a major tool. Huge cheerleading macho douche.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Should we really hire a special teams coach working for Shanny?

Dedhed
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM

I love this idea on a few levels. I love the demeanor that the Ryan's bring to any team. It's just tough, old school football. Likely would retain the 3-4 scheme, which I think is a better way to go.

And down the road he's a guy that can be groomed into a HC position if Foxy burns out in a few years.

Dedhed
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Should we really hire a special teams coach working for Shanny?

I think he was there before Shanny, so he might still be capable of putting together a unit that can keep the ball from moving towards our endzone.

serious hops
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Do eeeeet!

HooptyHoops
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Man, I'd love if the Broncos could pull it off.....but, I read the Cowboys are in hot pursuit of Ryan too....

Broncos4Life
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Isnt Fox a defensive coach. WTF are you guys so worried for. Take a valium! It isn't like a Shanny hiring. Fox understands defense.

cousinal11
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
To be honest, I've never seen a player quite like Orton when it comes to injuries. There seems to be a 100% correlation between him playing like garbage and him having some random injury. Not sure what to think about that. The word 'excuse' comes to mind.

Noticed that. I don't know that it's an excuse, but when he plays hurt he plays very bad.