PDA

View Full Version : Which assistants should we keep?

mkporter
01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Now that we have Fox who should we keep?

LetsGoBroncos
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Studesville.....that's it

tsiguy96
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
martindale as LB, nunnelly at DL, donatell at secondary, studes at RB and mccoy at OC

Man-Goblin
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
martindale as LB, nunnelly at DL, donatell at secondary, studes at RB and mccoy at OC

I said all of those but Wink, but you're right, he did do a pretty good job with the LBs.

I think Fox will know better than anyone if McCoy should stay. If McCoy stays, it does not necessarily mean that he is going to be running McDaniels system. But they could certainly keep the aspects that worked the best and those that Tebow is comfortable with.

boppool
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I said all of those but Wink, but you're right, he did do a pretty good job with the LBs.

I think Fox will know better than anyone if McCoy should stay. If McCoy stays, it does not necessarily mean that he is going to be running McDaniels system. But they could certainly keep the aspects that worked the best and those that Tebow is comfortable with.

Agreed. Seems McCoy and Tebow had good chemistry going. But then, who wouldn't with Tebow? :wiggle:

bronco militia
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Nuke em....it's the only way to be sure

tsiguy96
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM

oddly enough, panthers and broncos were running a very similar system. thats why mccoy got hired here. i think he stays, and offense will be similar though more run oriented.

LittleFloyd
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
McCoy only, left Carolina Panthers to become Broncos OC.

Gcver2ver3
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
mccoy for sure IMO...

i wanted to vote Wink but not as the DC...

Kaylore
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Nunnley and Gase. Gase's work with the receiving corps both years is the best I've seen.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

bronco militia
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

:thumbsup:

RunSilentRunDeep
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Nunnley and Gase. Gase's work with the receiving corps both years is the best I've seen.

Agreed. I'd like Gase ever more if would cover Demaryius Thomas in bubble wrap.

RaiderH8r
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Keep McCoy? That's insane. The guy couldn't manage to run bootleg with a running QB. He's dumber than a bag of limp dicks. I wouldn't let him run a Madden offense.

Rohirrim
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Cut Tuten. But first, pull his hamstring.

RaiderH8r
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Then fix it and pull it again that lousy lump.

Hamrob
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
McCoy, Gase, McDaniels & Tuten.

Hey that Passing game was pretty darn good. For Orton to turn out to be as good as he was and for Tebow to come in cold turkey and play as good as he did, was pretty impressive.

And I can't remember ever having a stable of WR's this deep! I even like Davis...who showed promise in the preseason working with Tebow and did a nice job on special teams all year. Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, Decker, Thomas, Davis...that's solid!

Tuten only goes if the Greek goes! Aint going to happen!

edog24
01-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I voted to nuke em. McCoy's offense was full of tricksy bullcrap to hide Orton's immobility and the lack of a running game.

Man-Goblin
01-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow. Not a lot of love for Mike Priefer.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow. Not a lot of love for Mike Priefer.

It may not be fair to judge him on this basis, but I think it is due to him being awful at Special Teams coordinating.

bendog
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Nuke them from space and then put their remains in a rocket and shoot it into the sun

strafen
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Ben McDaniels?
You freakin' retards!!! Ha!

You've got to be ****ting me!
Come on. He was hired because Mcdaniels wanted to hook his little brother up with a job in the NFL.

This idiot is a HS coach.

I hope they can his ass soon.
I don't want anything McDaniels still lingering at Dove Valley.
You guys are a joke! Wow!

broncocalijohn
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Coaches probably going to bring in most new guys. Burns only because he was a bronco and as an asst special teams coach, big deal. Wide receiver coach i said keep. He has a new QB now so we shall see further how that works out for 2011. I do know he better teach un planned blocking because when it is a passing play and Tebow starts to run, they better know where and how to help him out. How about Tim's old coach at Florida to be Tebow's QB coach?

broncocalijohn
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I voted to nuke em. McCoy's offense was full of tricksy bullcrap to hide Orton's immobility and the lack of a running game.

I didnt vote for him but is that necessarily bad? At least he had a way to figure it out.

Hamrob
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Coaches probably going to bring in most new guys. Burns only because he was a bronco and as an asst special teams coach, big deal. Wide receiver coach i said keep. He has a new QB now so we shall see further how that works out for 2011. I do know he better teach un planned blocking because when it is a passing play and Tebow starts to run, they better know where and how to help him out. How about Tim's old coach at Florida to be Tebow's QB coach?:rofl:

You mean the guy who never taught him how to be a QB at the next level?

Hamrob
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Here's what PFT has to say about McCoy/Fox:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/john-fox-has-long-history-with-broncos-coordinator-mike-mccoy/

LittleFloyd
01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
The DC, whoever is named, the DC is John Fox.

lostknight
01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Sorry. No. We need a premier QB coach for Tebow. When you compare and contract Tebow's delivery at Spring versus it now, it's clear that Benny wasn't doing his job, and that Tebow actually regressed a bit before coming in.

misturanderson
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry. No. We need a premier QB coach for Tebow. When you compare and contract Tebow's delivery at Spring versus it now, it's clear that Benny wasn't doing his job, and that Tebow actually regressed a bit before coming in.
There is a bit of a difference in throwing in strictly regimented situations that have been practiced ad nauseum and playing in an NFL game against an NFL defense.

I'm not sure that McDaniels is worth keeping, but that is some pretty questionable criticism.

UberBroncoMan
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds like Mike Preifer has the job locked up.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Xactly

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:16 PM

I'd add Gase, he did well with the receivers. Marindale back to LB coach, Studesville back to RB coach. Nunnelly could be retained if we stay 3-4, if we switch 4-3 maybe not. I'm not really for or against Donatell. McCoy kept for continuity and his prior relationship with Fox, making transition easier.

zdoor
01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I would really like to see Fassel as QB coach

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I would really like to see Fassel as QB coach

I would too. Bring in new O-line and tight ends coaches. Fassel as QB coach. McCoy as OC. Studesville as RB coach. Gase for WR coach.That would be a great staff for that side of the ball

jhns
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing everyone involved with this past seasons team fired.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm shocked at the level of support for Keith Burns. He is our number one candidate to bring back so far. Is it because he doesn't really do anything, and we all have fond memories of him as a player?

elsid13
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm shocked at the level of support for Keith Burns. He is our number one candidate to bring back so far. Is it because he doesn't really do anything, and we all have fond memories of him as a player?

The man owned Gold combat boots. You respect that level pimp hood.

HAT
01-13-2011, 04:17 PM

And I am not shocked that over 30% voted BMcD so far and dragster is the only one bitching about it simply because of his last name.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
And I am not shocked that over 30% voted BMcD so far and dragster is the only one b****ing about it simply because of his last name.

And I am shocked, and appalled, that someone voted for Preifer. For shame, Natedogg, for shame..

cabronco
01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

This ^^

HAT
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
And I am shocked, and appalled, that someone voted for Preifer. For shame, Natedogg, for shame..

http://www.caption-this.com/shocking.jpg

mikey555
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
The man owned Gold combat boots. You respect that level pimp hood.

Hells yeah!!!:pimp:

serious hops
01-13-2011, 04:57 PM

This. I'm going to be a broken man if that dude manages to hang around again.

DrFate
01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

I agree with this. Look at the documentary ESPN put out with Tebow throwing pre-draft and today. He's gone backwards.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I agree with this. Look at the documentary ESPN put out with Tebow throwing pre-draft and today. He's gone backwards.

Was he throwing in live games in the doc?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Huh? The guy played pretty freakin' amazing for a rook that got very few reps all year, was playing on a team in disarray, and is supposedly a long-term project. Seems like Ben did a decent job to me. Personally don't think we need to keep him, but I'm not going to bash the guy just because his brother is a douche.

DrFate
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Was he throwing in live games in the doc?

Huh?

DrFate
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Huh? The guy played pretty freakin' amazing for a rook that got very few reps all year, was playing on a team in disarray, and is supposedly a long-term project. Seems like Ben did a decent job to me. Personally don't think we need to keep him, but I'm not going to bash the guy just because his brother is a douche.

I'm not saying he didn't play well, and I'm not bashing anybody.

I'm simply saying his throwing motion looked better before the season than at the end.

illbroncsfn
01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Potential staff to keep IMHO:

Studesville-RB
Gase-WR
Donatell-DB (was DC for Mora Jr. in ATL)
Nunnelly- if we stay 3-4 or go hybrid
Tick Burns- assistant ST
Tuten-Strength/Conditioning- well respected throughout the league
McCoy- QB coach (would like Koetter or Bill Musgrave as OC)

FireFly
01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
I selected Studs, but... now that I think about it... our running game wasn't all that great was it?

listopencil
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM

http://pictures.funnyforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/kill-it-with-fire.jpg

strafen
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Huh? The guy played pretty freakin' amazing for a rook that got very few reps all year, was playing on a team in disarray, and is supposedly a long-term project. Seems like Ben did a decent job to me. Personally don't think we need to keep him, but I'm not going to bash the guy just because his brother is a douche.Ben McDaniels simply does not have the experience necessary to work with a QB like Tebow.
We need to bring experience. We need to clean house and bring in new coordinators.
I would retain Stud in some capacity and Keith Burns as well, but as for the rest, dump them.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Huh?

My point was that in a live game situation, it is pretty typical for a QB to revert back to their old throwing motion. On the practice field, and in doing drills you can concentrate on how you are throwing the ball, but when the proverbial bullets are flying, you are more concerned about how to get the ball from point A to point B. If you keep doing enough drills with a new motion, eventually you will start to lock some of that into muscle memory and your motion will change when you aren't concentrating on it.

Moreover, who really cares what his throwing motion looks like if we gets the job done? Tebow looked pretty good while starting, and I don't think it is unreasonable to give Ben some credit for that.

DrFate
01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
My point was that in a live game situation, it is pretty typical for a QB to revert back to their old throwing motion. On the practice field, and in doing drills you can concentrate on how you are throwing the ball, but when the proverbial bullets are flying, you are more concerned about how to get the ball from point A to point B. If you keep doing enough drills with a new motion, eventually you will start to lock some of that into muscle memory and your motion will change when you aren't concentrating on it.

Moreover, who really cares what his throwing motion looks like if we gets the job done? Tebow looked pretty good while starting, and I don't think it is unreasonable to give Ben some credit for that.

I don't disagree with any of this per se, but I would have hoped his end-of-season motion (having had the entire season to build that muscle memory) would be close to his pre-draft motion (in drills).

I'm not putting that on the QB coach, necessarily - but I do think his motion had regressed.

I'd like to see his footwork and motion to continue to improve, just like any player improves their fundamentals.

HAT
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Ben McDaniels simply does not have the experience necessary to work with a QB like Tebow.

Ummmm, Dragster....BMcD has more experience working with Tebow as a pro QB than anyone else on the planet.

I don't think there's a chance in hell they keep him on though so you will just have to find another last name to obsess on soon.

doonwise
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
McDaniels, Studesville. The McDaniels clan knows quarterbacks.

Ratboy
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Dump them all.

TonyR
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Here's what PFT has to say about McCoy/Fox:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/john-fox-has-long-history-with-broncos-coordinator-mike-mccoy/

The fact that Pioli is/was interested in McCoy proves he's more well thought of around the league than he is on the Mane.

The Chiefs were expected to make a run at McCoy for their offensive coordinator job, with a few writers believing he was the favorite to get the job. Perhaps Fox will want McCoy to stay.

Tim
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
why all the mike priefer hate? His squads since he has coached ST have returned very well.

GoBroncos84
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
@carolinagrowl: I'm told WR coach Tyke Tolbert and OL coach Dave Magazu are expected to follow coach John Fox to Denver.

MaxBroncos

Panthers used zone blocking in recent years, so if OL coach Dave Magazu follows Fox to Denver, look for zone blocking to return.

serious hops
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
why all the mike priefer hate? His squads since he has coached ST have returned very well.

How's the coverage looked?

Crushaholic
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I voted to ONLY retain Josh's brother, just to see the Mane meltdown. It would be EPIC...;D

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be safe.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
The only one most likely to stay is McCoy. To be honest those 3 games with Tebow make me unsure about his ablities. Because those games looked so bad and I can't figure if it was because it was his limitation or the limitation of Tebow that it looked that way.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
How's the coverage looked?

How is their ability to stop people from making huge plays on fake kicks?

zdoor
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
The fact that Pioli is/was interested in McCoy proves he's more well thought of around the league than he is on the Mane.

The Chiefs were expected to make a run at McCoy for their offensive coordinator job, with a few writers believing he was the favorite to get the job. Perhaps Fox will want McCoy to stay.

Oddly, that does make me feel better...

Boomhauer
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Keep McCoy? That's insane. The guy couldn't manage to run bootleg with a running QB. He's dumber than a bag of limp *****. I wouldn't let him run a Madden offense.

This.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 11:39 PM
It should be entirely Fox's decision on who, if anyone, he keeps. None of these guys are so great that it's worth putting the head coach in a position that removes the right he should have to hire his own assistants. I really hope the McD experience has not guaranteed that Fox has no autonomy at all over his hires and his roster. McDaneils was given that power and didn't deserve it. It's just as big a mistake to hire a long time coach with decades of experience and emasculate the guy. I understand some collaboration on personnel decisions, but if a coach is being forced to coach with someone elses assistants and players he doesn't want, I see no way that can be successful over time.

TonyR
01-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Yup, me too. And I've read other things that have suggested McCoy is well thought of. We're often quick to judge coaches without knowing many of the facts. We don't know exactly what their responsibilities are, we don't know how much authority they have, we don't know to what extent player/scheme combinations that they don't like or aren't comfortable with are foisted upon them, etc. In other words we don't know enough about the situations to fairly judge the results. We just have to trust that John Fox knows better than us who he wants to go to battle with.

RaiderH8r
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
It's the only way to be safe.

I honestly think we can keep Ben. I think Orton's progress was solid and Tebow was pretty game ready for a rookie. I don't have a problem giving Ben a shot. Now the show behind closed doors is certainly different but I didn't see Ben being a problem child or slacking on his duties.

I would probably add the WRs coach too. I forgot that guy and the comments by some here have convinced me he's a worthy option.

I also kept Studesville because he did a respectable job in a **** situation and dealt with it as well as could possibly be expected and maintained a professional demeanor throughout. He leaned in and took one for the team and I admire that in folks. It will probably get me flamed but it is what it is.

And he seemed to get production out of Lance Ball who was stoked that Studesville got the nod. Seems guys might play for Eric if given the chance.

BroncosMT
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM

agreed

BroncosMT
01-14-2011, 09:11 AM

This....

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I honestly think we can keep Ben. I think Orton's progress was solid and Tebow was pretty game ready for a rookie. I don't have a problem giving Ben a shot. Now the show behind closed doors is certainly different but I didn't see Ben being a problem child or slacking on his duties.

I would probably add the WRs coach too. I forgot that guy and the comments by some here have convinced me he's a worthy option.

I also kept Studesville because he did a respectable job in a **** situation and dealt with it as well as could possibly be expected and maintained a professional demeanor throughout. He leaned in and took one for the team and I admire that in folks. It will probably get me flamed but it is what it is.

And he seemed to get production out of Lance Ball who was stoked that Studesville got the nod. Seems guys might play for Eric if given the chance.

To be honest, I like Studesville for atleast one reason. He picks the hot hand. He's not a "my Guy" guy. To me, he seems like it doesn't matter to him if he's a 1st round guy or a undrafted guy if you can play you'll play.

McDumbass was not that guy.

But the question remains. "Is McCoy the answer at OC?" Because those last 3 games with Tebow are "I don't know". Its something that I blame McDumbass for. Why didn't McDumbass play Tebow atleast in the pre-season. We have zero tape on Tebow. Then when Tebow does play, the playbook would fit on a dinner napkin. It was as if Tebow was totally unprepared to play football. I mean Tebow was the back-up QB for 12 games. That means the he should get about 25% to 30% of the practice snaps.

That's another thing. I'm really starting to hate this "New England" system. What good is a system that is both hard to learn and hard to get the right players. Wouldn't it be better to have a system that a.)is hard to learn but most people and do or b.) easy to learn but must have talent.

Traveler
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Is anyone else ready to move on from Tuten?

Play2win
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM

The great Thing about FOX, as apposed to McD, is that FOX can pretty much keep/jettison anybody. There is no keeping certain coaches as a part of the plan. The plan seems to be to utilize John Fox's (and Elway's) experience and NFL connections to get the right staff. This is a big bonus, imho.

Rascal
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
@carolinagrowl: I'm told WR coach Tyke Tolbert and OL coach Dave Magazu are expected to follow coach John Fox to Denver.

MaxBroncos

Panthers used zone blocking in recent years, so if OL coach Dave Magazu follows Fox to Denver, look for zone blocking to return.

Interesting.

FWIW...I said nuke them all, but as long as the nepotism is eliminated and they are evaluated for what the bring and not who they are I am okay with whatever they decide.

listopencil
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
How is their ability to stop people from making huge plays on fake kicks?

Weren't we outscored by the AZ kicker?

Drek
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM

He's done his job here, the K and P are now in place long term. He's historically been a good K/P developer but his coverage and return teams suck. We've got our specialists, now time to get a real coverage/return guru in here to fix that.

titan
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Adam Shefter thinks McCoy could be going to Cleveland. From his chat today talking about Fox:

"He'd like to keep McCoy, but everything I hear is that McCoy could be Cleveland bound. If he leaves, then Denver will have a critical hire to make on the offensive side of the football. Fassel would make sense, but Denver never called him during its head coaching search, so I'm not sure if it would start now."

chat transcript here:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36453/nfl-insider-adam-schefter

Bigdawg26
01-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I would love dennison but I don't know if he would swallow his pride of losing the HC gig and becoming the OC.

RaiderH8r
01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
To be honest, I like Studesville for atleast one reason. He picks the hot hand. He's not a "my Guy" guy. To me, he seems like it doesn't matter to him if he's a 1st round guy or a undrafted guy if you can play you'll play.

McDumbass was not that guy.

But the question remains. "Is McCoy the answer at OC?" Because those last 3 games with Tebow are "I don't know". Its something that I blame McDumbass for. Why didn't McDumbass play Tebow atleast in the pre-season. We have zero tape on Tebow. Then when Tebow does play, the playbook would fit on a dinner napkin. It was as if Tebow was totally unprepared to play football. I mean Tebow was the back-up QB for 12 games. That means the he should get about 25% to 30% of the practice snaps.

That's another thing. I'm really starting to hate this "New England" system. What good is a system that is both hard to learn and hard to get the right players. Wouldn't it be better to have a system that a.)is hard to learn but most people and do or b.) easy to learn but must have talent.

That's what left me scratching my head in McKid's first season. Our run game was floundering because we didn't have the beef up front to run the blocking scheme properly. McKid didn't bother trying to change or shape a modified scheme to fit the personnel he just kept hammering away at a square peg for a round hole.

And you're right about the milquetoast playbook for Tebow. It really isn't hard to slip in a PA bootleg into that scheme. Sincerely, we can have one drawn up in minutes here I guarantee. WTF couldn't McCoy try to "move the pocket" and get a mobile QB with speed and playmaking ability on the move? It just seemed lackluster and showed a disinterest in making true adjustments not only mid game but from week to week that would put players in the best position to succeed. I'm no NFL coach, that's for sure, but my philosophy has always been that a coach should know enough about the game to recognize when his favored approach may not be working and be able to adjust to put something in front of his players that gives them the best chance to win. Putting a rookie QB with mobility on the move is football 101 stuff. Maybe McCoy was trying to hammer Tebow into staying in the pocket as long as he could so he wouldn't revert to constantly running. I guess that is a possibility. Getting Timmy some in game reps and making stand tall before the rush before breaking the pocket. If that was McCoy's game I'd say Tebow passed admirably...so now can we run a f'ing bootleg?

gunns
01-14-2011, 01:25 PM

I agree. The only one I might want to stay is Gase.

I do not get the love for McCoy. Reminds me of another Dennison, McD's calling all the plays, he leaves and McCoy's like a deer in the headlights.

RaiderH8r
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree. The only one I might want to stay is Gase.

I do not get the love for McCoy. Reminds me of another Dennison, McD's calling all the plays, he leaves and McCoy's like a deer in the headlights.

Looked to me like Tebow was more ready for Prime Time than McCoy.

serious hops
01-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Does Salma Hayek have nice boobies?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
That's what left me scratching my head in McKid's first season. Our run game was floundering because we didn't have the beef up front to run the blocking scheme properly. McKid didn't bother trying to change or shape a modified scheme to fit the personnel he just kept hammering away at a square peg for a round hole.

And you're right about the milquetoast playbook for Tebow. It really isn't hard to slip in a PA bootleg into that scheme. Sincerely, we can have one drawn up in minutes here I guarantee. WTF couldn't McCoy try to "move the pocket" and get a mobile QB with speed and playmaking ability on the move? It just seemed lackluster and showed a disinterest in making true adjustments not only mid game but from week to week that would put players in the best position to succeed. I'm no NFL coach, that's for sure, but my philosophy has always been that a coach should know enough about the game to recognize when his favored approach may not be working and be able to adjust to put something in front of his players that gives them the best chance to win. Putting a rookie QB with mobility on the move is football 101 stuff. Maybe McCoy was trying to hammer Tebow into staying in the pocket as long as he could so he wouldn't revert to constantly running. I guess that is a possibility. Getting Timmy some in game reps and making stand tall before the rush before breaking the pocket. If that was McCoy's game I'd say Tebow passed admirably...so now can we run a f'ing bootleg?

I know! You'd think they have heard of the play called "Sprint right option" or in our case "Sprint left option". But I guess an offense as complex as the "New England" system can't tell their players do "Sprint left option".

With a QB like Tebow "Sprint Left Option", "Bootleg", "Naked Boot" and "Country pitch" would work every game.

LRtagger
01-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Ed Donatell is headed to Harbaugh's staff in SF as DB coach. Really wanted to retain him.

strafen
01-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Ben McDaniels. Really? Seriously? LOLROFL!Hilarious!Ha!

Boomhauer
01-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Ed Donatell is headed to Harbaugh's staff in SF as DB coach. Really wanted to retain him.

Good riddance. Any chance we could get Darren Perry from GB? I think Secondary Coach would be a promotion for him and he worked with Wink in Oak. Guys done some great work.

Edit: FYI- I voted to keep Wink, Nunnely, Gase, Burns and Tuten

Boomhauer
01-15-2011, 06:53 AM
I would love dennison but I don't know if he would swallow his pride of losing the HC gig and becoming the OC.

Didn't he lose the HC gig to McD, than take the OL Coach job? Pride doesn't seem a concern.

LRtagger
01-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Good riddance. Any chance we could get Darren Perry from GB? I think Secondary Coach would be a promotion for him and he worked with Wink in Oak. Guys done some great work.

Edit: FYI- I voted to keep Wink, Nunnely, Gase, Burns and Tuten

Donatell was DB coach under Shanahan during the SB years and has DC experience turning bad D's into good ones. He's a great coach with tons of experience. We would have been better off with him at DC after Nolan left.

Donatell, 50, has spent 12 of the last 13 seasons as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator in the National Football League and has coached 12 players who have earned Pro Bowl recognition. Last season he was a special assistant with the New York Jets. He served as defensive coordinator from 2004-06 for the Atlanta Falcons.

While with the Falcons, under UW alum Jim Mora, Donatell led a defensive unit that ranked among the league leaders in several categories. His 2004 unit led the NFL by allowing its opponents a league-low 30.2 percent on third-down conversions. The Falcons also led the league in sacks for the first time in team history, won the club’s third-ever division title and advanced to the NFC championship game. In 2005, his defense ranked third in the NFL with only 28 passes allowed of 20-or-more yards.

Prior to his time in Atlanta, he served four seasons as Green Bay’s defensive coordinator under Mike Sherman. During his stint in Green Bay, Donatell’s defense led the NFL with 144 takeaways, an average of 36 a year and led the league with 2.25 forced turnovers per game.

He began his NFL coaching career with the New York Jets in 1990 as defensive backs coach. He joined Mike Shanahan on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in the same position in 1995 and helped lead the team to back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 1997 and 1998. He took over a secondary that ranked last in the NFL in 1994 and led them to a top 10 ranking in each of his five seasons in Denver.

TonyR
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Good info here on this topic:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17101816?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

GoBroncos84
01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Eagles fired DC Sean McDermott. Would love to see him brought in to replace Donatell in coaching the secondary.

Boomhauer
01-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Donatell was DB coach under Shanahan during the SB years and has DC experience turning bad D's into good ones. He's a great coach with tons of experience. We would have been better off with him at DC after Nolan left.

I guess he lost his touch because he's been aweful with an experienced DB-corps here.