PDA

View Full Version : Rob Ryan out in Cleveland

mkporter
01-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Looks like Rob Ryan is out in Cleveland. I think he'd be worth a look for DC here. His Raider teams had very good defenses, and he's done a good job generally in Cleveland. Why go with the imitation when you can have the real thing? Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/rob-ryan-on-the-outs-in-cleveland/

supermanhr9
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I'd take him, although I think given the tools, WINK could get the job done. Not his fault that he was trying to build a Lexus with aftermarket Ford Pinto parts.

hahaha that was funny.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
My only thought is that he may not take a job in Denver if the Broncos fire his buddy Wink.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Keep Wink as LBs coach, move his friend Rob into the big job.

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been tooting Rob's horn a bit lately because I think he could be a good one or two year "patch", while: 1) he showcases himself for a HC vacancy, and 2) he works with Wink to suck less, and gives us something resembling continuity at the DC position. I think it could work if we go with one of the more offensive inclined coaches.

schaaf
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm all for it but I feel its highly unlikely

Greatspirits
01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Wink staying, I think improving the talent level, he would be a pretty decent DC. I hate the constant DC turnover!

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't mind Wink staying, I think improving the talent level, he would be a pretty decent DC. I hate the constant DC turnover!

It's a large part of the problem, it's why against switching back to a 4-3 defence.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Here are a few to look at

Eric Mangini, Former Patriots D Coordinator, Former Jets HC, Former Browns HC
Keith Butler, Assistant HC - LBs Pittsburgh
John Mitchell, Assistant HC - DLine Pittsburgh
Dean Pees, Former Patriots DC and LB coach, Current Ravens LB coach
Kirby Smart, Alabama Defensive Coordinator
Vic Fangio, Stanford Defensive Coordinator, Former Ravens LB Coach
Greg Manusky, 49ers Defensive Coordinator

mkporter
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM

I agree, but I would think a transition to Ryan would not be a significant systematic change.

BroncoInferno
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
I could see it happening if Koetter or Dennison are brought in.

BroncoInferno
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Is Harbaugh not bringing Fangio with him to San Fran?

oubronco
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Is Harbaugh not bringing Fangio with him to San Fran?

Haven't heard anything official

Kaylore
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd take him, although I think given the tools, WINK could get the job done. Not his fault that he was trying to build a Lexus with aftermarket Ford Pinto parts.

hahaha that was funny.

I wish we even had a working pinto. Right now it resembles a broken vespa.

Rascal
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Seriously? With pretty much the same talent, some would say better sans Doom being out, he led our top 1/3 defense under nolan to one of the worst defense in history.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Seriously? With pretty much the same talent, some would say better sans Doom being out, he led our top 1/3 defense under nolan to one of the worst defense in history.

Yes that is worse than Slowick poeple

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 12:57 PM

There's no way the talent was better. The difference in the play of Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill from last year to this year is night and day.

ghostofjosh
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Im sure rex will gobble him up,literally..they have been wanting to coach together forever..And Mangini just signed on with ESPN doing college games..

bendog
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Im sure rex will gobble him up,literally..they have been wanting to coach together forever..And Mangini just signed on with ESPN doing college games..

toe lick

oubronco
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
toe lick

Hilarious! So wrong but Hilarious! just Hilarious!

misturanderson
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
It seems that we could bring in Ryan as assistant HC defense and keep Wink as the DC/LB coach so that he could get some more experience with someone helping him out. Then it would be an easier transition when/if Ryan ended up leaving in a year or 2.

misturanderson
01-13-2011, 01:03 PM
There's no way the talent was better. The difference in the play of Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill from last year to this year is night and day.
Not to mention the rash of injuries to almost every defensive player on the team keeping almost every starter not on the DL out for 1 game minimum.

Was there a single defensive starter outside of the DL that played in every game?

Traveler
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
How about we just hire a DC that plans to be here for the long term? We need stability at this position.

Inkana7
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Goodman missing 2/3rds of the season, the loss of Vonnie Holliday and Darrell Reid as pass rushers, and the loss of noted run-stuffer Andra Davis definitely didn't help.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 01:10 PM

And I'll go out on a limb and say that losing the NFL's sack leader from '09 before he played a snap in '10 might have made a difference. MAYBE.

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
There's no way the talent was better. The difference in the play of Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill from last year to this year is night and day.The BIG DIFFERENCE is Doom not being there to pressure the QB.

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
And I'll go out on a limb and say that losing the NFL's sack leader from '09 before he played a snap in '10 might have made a difference. MAYBE.

False. Jason Hunter was a REVELATION. sarcasm smiley here

PRBronco
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Lol I started a run on **** that went wrong on defense. Long story short, it looks like I'm not the only one willing to give Wink the benefit of the doubt.

gyldenlove
01-13-2011, 01:14 PM

That was purely scheme based, Wink has his safeties play futher back on the field than any other DC in the league. That takes them completely out of any run play and pass play shorter than 20 yards.

Inkana7
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
That was purely scheme based, Wink has his safeties play futher back on the field than any other DC in the league. That takes them completely out of any run play and pass play shorter than 20 yards.

Yeah, no. Dawkins played like crap in pass coverage this year. Rivers made him look retarded in the first meeting. He blew a lot of coverages against the Rams too. Those are just the ones I remember. Hill played extremely deep, yes, but Dawkins did not and he was obviously not the same player that he was last year.

gyldenlove
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Lol I started a run on **** that went wrong on defense. Long story short, it looks like I'm not the only one willing to give Wink the benefit of the doubt.

Considering that the 2010 defense was the worst in the league in points, yards, rush yards, sacks and turnovers and the worst in Broncos history in points, I don't think there is any doubt.

That is like saying the jury is still out on the earth being the center of the solar system.

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
How about we hire a HC first and let him have some imput on his coaching staff.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM

What are you, the sanity police?

BMarsh615
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I honestly don't think Rob Ryan would want to come here unless he is head coach. I doubt that he would want to take Wink's job from him.

cutthemdown
01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Wink is one of Ryan best friends. I doubt he would take his job.

gyldenlove
Yeah, no. Dawkins played like crap in pass coverage this year. Rivers made him look retarded in the first meeting. He blew a lot of coverages against the Rams too. Those are just the ones I remember. Hill played extremely deep, yes, but Dawkins did not and he was obviously not the same player that he was last year.

Dawkins played 2 positions, as deep as Hill when we went 2 deep and just behind the linebackers when we went 3 deep (the only coverages Wink knows) when Dawkins is in the short position he has to read the play and either man up on the slot WR or TE depending on package, unfortunately having a 37 year old play man cover is a bit ambitious so year he blew coverage, what the hell do you expect?

How often did he play man cover under Nolan? There is a reason he was a pro bowler last year, Nolan knows how to get the best out of his guys, Wink doesn't even know how to get toothpaste out of the tube.

gyldenlove

**** that, Mcdaniels showed that a HC can't be trusted to do that ****, that is how we ended up with Wink in the first place.

Inkana7
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Dawkins played 2 positions, as deep as Hill when we went 2 deep and just behind the linebackers when we went 3 deep (the only coverages Wink knows) when Dawkins is in the short position he has to read the play and either man up on the slot WR or TE depending on package, unfortunately having a 37 year old play man cover is a bit ambitious so year he blew coverage, what the hell do you expect?

How often did he play man cover under Nolan? There is a reason he was a pro bowler last year, Nolan knows how to get the best out of his guys, Wink doesn't even know how to get toothpaste out of the tube.

Clearly Wink's Fault! (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010112200/2010/REG11/broncos@chargers)

EDIT: Bah, NFL.com video links suck. I was trying to link to the play where Rivers threw a screen to Crayton and Dawkins completely wiffed on the tackle, allowing Crayton to go 40 for the TD.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 01:25 PM

You do realize that the mane doesn't actually hire the coaches, right? I mean we should, because we'd be awesome at it, but it just isn't set up that way yet.

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
**** that, Mcdaniels showed that a HC can't be trusted to do that ****, that is how we ended up with Wink in the first place.

Didn't say total control, just said some imput.... Let's don't build the walls and roof till we have a foundation.

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
**** that, Mcdaniels showed that a HC can't be trusted to do that ****, that is how we ended up with Wink in the first place.Mcd proved HE could not put a good staff together. There is NOT a HC out there that's going accept a job without being able to pick his own staff.

mkporter
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes that is worse than Slowick poeple

Slowick's D was worse. I know that is like arguing that Chefs fan's are uglier than Faider fans, as both D's were terrible, but Slowick's was worse.

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 01:37 PM
What are you, the sanity police?

Yep, just saying if Shanahan is your HC you go light on the OC and heavy on the DC and if Mike Nolan is your HC you go light on the DC and heavy on the OC. So let's see who our HC is before we add the condiments.

Killericon
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Mike Singletary?

Elway 4 Life
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep, just saying if Shanahan is your HC you go light on the OC and heavy on the DC and if Mike Nolan is your HC you go light on the DC and heavy on the OC. So let's see who our HC is before we add the condiments.

Fox is our HC now what?

Baba Booey
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Wouldn't mind picking up one of the LeBeau desciples.

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Fox is our HC now what?

Wow.. Fox will have a heavy hand on the defence so Ryan would not be a good choice, but we have to find a top notch OC and make sure his name doesn't start with McD. :thumbsup:

Elway 4 Life
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Wow.. Fox will have a heavy hand on the defence so Ryan would not be a good choice, but we have to find a top notch OC and make sure his name doesn't start with McD. :thumbsup:

With the history between fox and mccoy i think fox might try and keep him as oc. Hope not but we shall see. I have no clue who we get as a DC.

Ugly Duck
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
AdamSchefter: "Cowboys are pursuing Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan as a potential replacement for Paul Pasqualoni, who left to be UConn's HC."

Also: "Browns def. coordinator Rob Ryan (with Raiders from 2004-08) candidate to replace John Marshall, with added title of assistant head coach."

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Looks like Rob Ryan is out in Cleveland. I think he'd be worth a look for DC here. His Raider teams had very good defenses, and he's done a good job generally in Cleveland. Why go with the imitation when you can have the real thing? Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/rob-ryan-on-the-outs-in-cleveland/

2004 - 30th in total, 31st in pts
2005 - 27th in total, 25th in pts
2006 - 3rd in total, 18th in pts
2007 - 22nd in total, 26th in pts
2008 - 27th in total, 24th in pts

I'll leave my insults to your imagination.

gunns
01-13-2011, 10:54 PM

I've been thinking of Keith Butler a lot lately. The LB corps at Pitt has played remarkable.

Boss Man
01-14-2011, 01:05 AM
lol i live in vegas and met him at the mgm...he was an asshole, but looking back maybe it was because he already knew

mkporter
01-14-2011, 01:28 AM

I was going off of my recollection of his time at Oakland, and for some reason I had it in my head that they were better than that. Must have lodged its way in there during the 2006 season. I stand corrected. I'm also putting you on ignore because I've yet to see you make a point (even your rare good ones, like this one) with out being a gigantic douche. Lucky number 12, congrats.

broncocalijohn
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
toe lick

:rofl: Dont you think his wife would get jealous or did she get some fetish film career going now?

Elway 4 Life
01-14-2011, 06:08 AM

These stats dont really tell the story of how good his D's were. You have to keep in mind that the Offense in each of those years were horrible and often went 3 and out. He's a good d coordinator.

gunns
01-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, what they conceal is vital.

He uses statistics like a drunken man uses a lamppost...for support rather than illumination.

BroncosMT
01-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, what they conceal is vital.

He uses statistics like a drunken man uses a lamppost...for support rather than illumination.

:thumbs:

Ray Finkle
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

like that she is actually a dude and is "tucking"